PDA

View Full Version : Equipping a Godslayer

Morof Stonehands
2015-02-09, 10:55 PM
Reading through Dragon Magazine #357, there is an article about the Ecology of the Titan. In this article there is a stat block for the titan Cronus, an advanced titan who, according to article, is a Godslayer. This dude "felled more than 100 gods in personal combat." That's unbelievably impressive.

From everything I've read about slaying a god, it is up to the DM. Lets just say that the stat block provided is what this titan is up against. Unless I am not seeing something/really bad at judging stat blocks, I don't see how Cronus could take on a god. He can deal massive damage, but so can the diety. He has a ton of hit points, and so does the deity. He's got some decent SLAs, and so does the deity, except the deity has a lot more, and can use them a lot more.

So perhaps Cronus has some items that could get him there. Not so much. A huge weapon, strong armor and strength boosting item. He can fly though, so at least he's got that going for him.

That got me thinking. What would Cronus, the most vicious of titans, need for items in order to get close to gutting a god, killing the kings of kings, and decapitating a deity? I started to look for artifacts, those would be the place to start, items of great power, some of which were even held by the gods themselves! Every source is available for me (provided a pdf of it is online), 3rd party, pathfinder, anything d20.

So, without just making custom magic items, using printed ones only, regular and artifacts, what would you use to equip a behemoth melee on a quest to kill as many deities as he can?

Flickerdart
2015-02-09, 10:57 PM
It goes to follow that the reason the "modern" gods are alive is because they were more powerful than Cronus. The ones he killed were, clearly, not.

Thealtruistorc
2015-02-09, 11:13 PM
The weapon Cronos used in mythology to subdue Ouranos was an adamantine sickle forged by Gaia (this story is where we get adamantine as a material). That could be your thematic starting point. Start enchanting from there and things get fun.

Coidzor
2015-02-10, 04:55 AM
So, what, he's a bog standard Monster Manual Titan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm), just with more HD?

I suppose he could kill hero deities, demigods, and lesser deities with lousy divine abiliities and few class levels, so long as they don't have the full 20 Outsider HD + 30 class levels package they're not going to completely outclass him. :smallconfused:

Anything more than a lesser deity should have enough class levels and have the full 20 outsider HD on top of that, though.

Alter Reality (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#alterReality) is off limits to deities that don't have a sufficiently high charisma score, so it's possible that Cronus was just doing his part to beautify the deific gene pool. :smallamused:

Morof Stonehands
2015-02-10, 01:03 PM
It goes to follow that the reason the "modern" gods are alive is because they were more powerful than Cronus. The ones he killed were, clearly, not.

This is a good point. According to the story they tell though, he fought with Obad-Hai, Hextor and Heironeous, and Pelor. It took a combined effort from Kurtulmak, the dwarf gods, Boccob, Wee Jas, Garl Glimmergold, Olidimmara, and Fharlanghn to capture him.

The weapon Cronos used in mythology to subdue Ouranos was an adamantine sickle forged by Gaia (this story is where we get adamantine as a material). That could be your thematic starting point. Start enchanting from there and things get fun.

Yeah, he is stated with a Colossal +15 adamantine glaive, so I might just use that if no epic weapon/artifact catches my eye.

So, what, he's a bog standard Monster Manual Titan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm), just with more HD?

I suppose he could kill hero deities, demigods, and lesser deities with lousy divine abiliities and few class levels, so long as they don't have the full 20 Outsider HD + 30 class levels package they're not going to completely outclass him. :smallconfused:

Anything more than a lesser deity should have enough class levels and have the full 20 outsider HD on top of that, though.

Alter Reality (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#alterReality) is off limits to deities that don't have a sufficiently high charisma score, so it's possible that Cronus was just doing his part to beautify the deific gene pool. :smallamused:

No, he a bit stronger, I wasn't sure to what extent I can write down his stat block here, but he is a 31 HD titan/ Barbarian 20/ Legendary Dreadnought 10. So effectively in the realm of deity HD.

Flickerdart
2015-02-10, 01:36 PM
This is a good point. According to the story they tell though, he fought with Obad-Hai, Hextor and Heironeous, and Pelor. It took a combined effort from Kurtulmak, the dwarf gods, Boccob, Wee Jas, Garl Glimmergold, Olidimmara, and Fharlanghn to capture him.

Hm. It could be that either the gods were not as mighty back then as they are now, or Cronus was greatly diminished by his capture. Bumping off a bunch of the weakest demigods would definitely have given him a decent trove of artifacts. Perhaps custom items that made him immune to SDAs, which the gods destroyed lest they get into the wrong hands? Naturally, such items can always be reforged...oh, what a campaign that could be!