PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Losing the Humanoid type

heavyfuel
2015-02-10, 02:05 PM
If I wanted a Fangshield Ranger (CV p.41) Shifter, I would first need to get rid of the stupid stupid humanoid type they get.

How can I do this? Preferably something that can be done before ECL 2. Thanks!

Edit: No Magazines, but Compendium is ok. So are articles

Malimar
2015-02-10, 02:13 PM
If I wanted a Fangshield Ranger (CV p.41) Shifter, I would first need to get rid of the stupid stupid humanoid type they get.

How can I do this? Preferably something that can be done before ECL 2. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Fangshield Ranger, but I think the easiest way to lose Humanoid is to swap it out for Undead by becoming Necropolitan (Libris Mortis 114.)

heavyfuel
2015-02-10, 02:15 PM
I'm not familiar with Fangshield Ranger, but I think the easiest way to lose Humanoid is to swap it out for Undead by becoming Necropolitan (Libris Mortis 114.)

Yeah, I though of that. But since it's so DM dependendant (the Necropolitan must exist in the DM's world for you to join them), I figured I'd ask for another way. Should've mentioned it in the OP

eggynack
2015-02-10, 02:17 PM
Unseelie fey (DrC, 222) swaps your type for fey, so that could work. The other stuff is pretty good too.

Necroticplague
2015-02-10, 02:22 PM
Otherworldly feat makes you an outsider. A one level dip in the ghost template class makes you undead.

WhamBamSam
2015-02-10, 02:23 PM
A type change by ECL 2? You'll need to use a template for that. Feral is a decent LA +1 by either interpretation of the "monster HD" term and would change your type to Monstrous Humanoid iirc. Unseelie Fey is the only LA+0 option off the top of my head. It's not a bad option, but the Con penalty hurts in a melee shifter build.

Undergoing the Ritual of Crucimigration and become a Necropolitan by level 2 as it costs more than ECL 2 WBL.

EDIT:
Otherworldly feat makes you an outsider. A one level dip in the ghost template class makes you undead.Note that Otherworldly requires the Celestial-Attended Birth option in Champions of Valor for a Shifter to qualify.

heavyfuel
2015-02-10, 02:30 PM
Unseelie fey (DrC, 222) swaps your type for fey, so that could work. The other stuff is pretty good too.

Looks really nice, except for the "always evil" clause. I'll see if the DM allows for a Neutral one. Thanks!

On a sidenote, the drawing of the Unseelie Fey is probably the ugliest art in 3.5... Yes, worst than PHB's Mialee

Otherworldly feat makes you an outsider. A one level dip in the ghost template class makes you undead.

A type change by ECL 2? You'll need to use a template for that. Feral is a decent LA +1 by either interpretation of the "monster HD" term and would change your type to Monstrous Humanoid iirc. Unseelie Fey is the only LA+0 option off the top of my head. It's not a bad option, but the Con penalty hurts in a melee shifter build.

Undergoing the Ritual of Crucimigration and become a Necropolitan by level 2 as it costs more than ECL 2 WBL.

EDIT: Note that Otherworldly requires the Celestial-Attended Birth option in Champions of Valor for a Shifter to qualify.

Where can I find the Feral template?

I'll check Celestial-Attended Birth with the DM, but again, it's setting specifc so maybe not.

Thnks!

WhamBamSam
2015-02-10, 02:37 PM
Feral is in Savage Species.

Necroticplague
2015-02-10, 02:40 PM
EDIT: Note that Otherworldly requires the Celestial-Attended Birth option in Champions of Valor for a Shifter to qualify.

Whoops, didn't notice the Shifter part.

Vhaidara
2015-02-10, 02:40 PM
Looks really nice, except for the "always evil" clause. I'll see if the DM allows for a Neutral one. Thanks!

2 things
1. "Always" = 95-99%. There is evidence of a succubus paladin.
2. With templates in particular, that just sets it when you get the template. You can change it afterwards. For example, a paladin who got vamped could eventually seek redemption and become a LG Vampire Paladin.

heavyfuel
2015-02-10, 02:42 PM
Feral is in Savage Species.

Looks really, really nice. Is there a way to get an inherent template that has a +1 LA if you're starting at lv1 (except Savage progression)?

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-02-10, 02:42 PM

Remember that "always" in DND is more like 95-99%. Thus, you could still be a good Unseelie Fey.

Flickerdart
2015-02-10, 02:43 PM
There are many ways - such as Atonement, Sanctify the Wicked, or a Helm of Opposite Alignment - for a creature to start out Evil and become Good. Write into your backstory that your fey got redeemed in one of these ways and you're set.

Psyren
2015-02-10, 02:49 PM

Note that it also seems to be an inherited template as well based on the fluff.

On a sidenote, the drawing of the Unseelie Fey is probably the ugliest art in 3.5... Yes, worst than PHB's Mialee

Wait, what? Mialee is way uglier. The DrC art is just a gnome chick with wings.

Vhaidara
2015-02-10, 02:52 PM
Looks really, really nice. Is there a way to get an inherent template that has a +1 LA if you're starting at lv1 (except Savage progression)?

Player's Guide to Faerun has rules for it. Basically, you take a -1 penalty to just about every roll (Attack, Damage, Skills, Saves) and to AC, per point of LA. This penalty also applies to you LA.

So, if you would have LA +1, you take a -1 to everything, giving you LA 0. When you level up, you remove the penalties instead, giving you LA +1 at ECL 2.

Sian
2015-02-10, 02:53 PM
do note that without setting mixing the whole idea is a non-starter as fangshield ranger is FR and Shifter is Eberron

Well, i guess you could call on the fact that you are taking Shifter from MM3, but i'd make sure that i've cast 'protection from arrows' first to shield myself for flying books

Flickerdart
2015-02-10, 03:16 PM
do note that without setting mixing the whole idea is a non-starter as fangshield ranger is FR and Shifter is Eberron

Well, i guess you could call on the fact that you are taking Shifter from MM3, but i'd make sure that i've cast 'protection from arrows' first to shield myself for flying books

Eberron has a clause that material from other settings can appear in it, though adapted to the setting in some way (using "a scimitar-wielding drow ranger" as an example).

Inevitability
2015-02-10, 04:14 PM
Eberron has a clause that material from other settings can appear in it, though adapted to the setting in some way (using "a scimitar-wielding drow ranger" as an example).

Also, plane of shadow.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-10, 04:32 PM
Can you really discard your human(oid)ity so casually?

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-02-10, 04:35 PM
Can you really discard your human(oid)ity so casually?

Sorry, I can't hear you over welding on my new ears. :smallbiggrin: