PDA

View Full Version : The Emerald Magistrates: 5th Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3

niks97cobra
2015-02-10, 04:58 PM
The 7th of the Month of Change, 125 N.R.
The local Festival of the Winds concluded two days ago, and everyone enjoyed five days of merriment in the town of Emerald Bay. The Festival of the Winds is the largest festival this time of year along the coastal land. This years guest of honor was Voxado Hael, Lord High Priest of Sylvrus, Senator of the United Senate of the Sun Coast, and Lord High Regent of the Elven Forest. Everyone in the Emerald District it seemed attended the festival. Ships sailed in from Port Gold, Scorpion's Camp, Scourge's Landing, and even a group of dwarves from the Halls of Silvertooth came. There were daily feasts featuring roast boar, basilisk brain, Padonthia wine, and Buswick's famous apple cobbler. Rumor has it, more of Buswick's cider and Fellhammer's ale was drank this year, than the last two Festival of Winds combined (most blame the dwarves). Tournaments were held throughout the festival, from archery and jousting, to sword play and pie eating contests. During the festival, even the local magistrate enforcers, that would be you, were called into service. During the festival you were tasked with making sure the peace was kept, and making sure no one made any attempt at attacking any of the foreign dignitaries... that's not to say you didn't have time to have your fair share of fun. You had time to speak with friends from other villages, old contacts, and the like. Like most festivals, the day after is spent cleaning up the mess, ships back up and sail for their homes, and the merchants, farmers and other laborers return to their villages. Having great festivals really boosts the economy of a town.

Like most days in the Sun Coast, today is a bright, warm summer day, even though it is well into fall. Two days after festival is your time to get down to business. Having five days of festival means that your work load backed up a bit, and it is often difficult to decide which jobs to attend to. Having arrived in Turtle Bay late last night, none of you had time to catch up with Thomas Delagato, the Head Magistrate, who doubles as the local judge of the five villages of region 3, which ranges from the South Murkflow River to Silo's Island. Region one is Emerald Bay and the villages north of it, and region two consists of Emerald Isle. Your custom is to meet in the morning for breakfast. You awake to the smell of sausage, fried potatoes and freshly baked bread. As you come down stairs, you are greeted by a cute, young red headed human girl. She is only fifteen, and is Thomas' personal assistant. The places a plate in front of each of your seats, filled with the delights you smelled cooking. She also gives you a side plate filled with fresh apples and a pair of hard boiled eggs, and a glass of Padonthia wine. Dalia hurries back to the kitchen to clean up. Just as you dig into your play, Thomas arrives. The middle-aged halfling hobbles into the room and plops himself down at the head of the table where his plate is sitting.

"I hope you all had as much fun at the festival as I did! Did you see how I beat old Fellhammer in the pie eating contest. That bugger thinkin' he could beat my record," Thomas says.

Thomas Delagato is generally a cheerful fellow, who loves his wine almost as he loves his food and women. He spends much of his off time in the brothels of the district. The halfling made his fortune during the Emerald Rush by capturing, training and selling bristlenose turtles, which allowed him to buy into the Trubald Shipping Company. Now his son, TJ Delagato runs his sides of things. He was appointed judge and head magistrate of region three many years ago by the Emerald District council. He is rather easy to get along with and usually quite helpful. He knows anyone who is anyone and he has many seen sights in his day. He can offer up wisdom on many subjects.

Thomas gulps down his glass of wine and calls out, "Dalia dear, we need another round of wine."

Dalia comes from the kitchen and pours anyone in need some more wine.

"Let's get down to business. As always we have a bit of a work load. Some seem rather minor, but none the less, I'll tell you everything that has come across my desk. I trust you to handle everything how you see fit. It seems that Fischer's Cradle was broken into down in Tolman's Crossing, and a few valuable objects were taken. I have also gotten a few complaints by farmers on Silo's Island that some lizardfolk have been lurking around, one farmer even claims a few of his sheep have gone missing."

He flips through a stack of papers before he continues, "Ahh, here is one that is a bit troubling as well. A group of lumberjacks from Rysin were clearing a stand of trees and were attack by a group of goblins, says here that one of the lumberjacks lost a leg."

Just as he is about to continue, you hear the knocking on the main door. Dalia rushes up to the door. You can hear her speaking to someone, and then she walks in and hands a piece of paper to Thomas. He looks it over, "seems we had a break in here in Turtle Bay as well. I guess with everyone out of town, they left their homes unguarded. Belle Torinte says her home was broken into and some expensive musical instruments were stolen."

Thomas goes back to his pile, "Here is a request from Emerald Bay, seems a pack of wolves got loose before they could be trained, and now they are terrorizing local farms. I tell ya, festival brings all sorts of loonies. Who brings untrained wolves to be sold at festival? This also says that Four-Finger Floyd escaped the dungeons of Emerald Bay during the raucous of the festival. He was last seen swimming across to Silo's Island. Reward of twenty gold, not a bad payday."

Thomas shakes his head before flipping through some more pages. "I think there were two more left. Ahh hah!" He exclaims as he pulls out two more pieces of paper.

"There were several reports by caravans of bandits on the road south to Scorpion's Camp and last but not least is up past New Haven. Seems Sull Softclaw has spotted some activity at the ruins of Berrythorne Keep. Doesn't say here what kind of activity though. Well now, I think we have quite a bit of catching up to do around here."

Map
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/niks97cobra/EmeraldDistrict2-2.png

Anubis Dread
2015-02-10, 05:26 PM
In many respects the festival had been quite pleasant. He'd gotten the chance to meet up with old contacts. He'd won a few minor prizes. All in all it had been a plesant enough week despite working during it. On the other hand Jorick was still bitter about not finding the rest of the basilisk. They only served the brain, the rest of it MUST have been somewhere! Grabbing a jar of basilisk poison would have been incredibly lucrative. Oh well. Some things were simply not meant to be.

Speaking of which, they had a bunch of jobs on the table. Jorrick picked up the files and mulled over them all quietly. Which of these jobs could provide the most profit? The robberies seemed promising. No-one ever wondered if a few items failed to make their way back, and thieves often had a horde of stolen goods they weren't hired to return. Which meant it could all be theirs. Of the two break ins it made sense to start with the local event and then head up to the farther away but more lucrative possibility.

"I say we start with the Torinte break in. It's local, and should be a quick enough job. What do you guys think?" Jorrick proposed.

Entelechy
2015-02-11, 12:48 AM
Tabitha was grimly silent when Thomas mentioned the pie eating contest. She still wore the third place ribbon pinned to the inside of her vest with secret pride.

As the meeting started, she began to take notes, occasionally nodding, sometimes grimacing. When Thomas finished, she started to speak, not looking up from her writing.

"Well, here's my breakdown. We got the urgent items that threaten infrastructure. That's the loggers being attacked, wolves terrorizing farms, the bandits, and the lizardfolk might be a worry if sheep really are disappearing. I wouldn't worry to much about the wolves. Farmers may hate wolves, but they have also been coping with them for as long as there have been farmers and wolves. End of the day, its the bandits and goblins that worry me most.

The break-ins like petty problems. If there were a third case, and something tying them together then I'd worry about a serial burglar, but as it is I'd just put it up to someone taking advantage of the festival. Maybe lean on local fences if we have time. But without a wider trend, it really doesn't cause trouble for the district as a whole.

The 'activity' Softclaw spotted could be anything, and I'm not familiar with Four-Fingers. I'm not from around here. He a thief, murderer, smuggler?"

niks97cobra
2015-02-11, 03:19 AM
Thomas sips his wine and answers Tabitha's question. "Four Finger Floyd has been a nuisance for many years. He lost a finger as a teen for swiping food. He did some time in the dungeons for lootin' caravans and most recently he is wanted for stealin' one of Sailfin's fishin' boats. Couple of crew members went missin' too. He probably would have hung at the next festival. I bet deliverin' him straight to Sailfin would get us twice the gold."

Note: Thomas said "us". As magistrates 10% of all bounties or claimed possessions (ie looted gold) goes to the Head Magistrate to redistribute into the local economy as he sees fit.

Foodle
2015-02-11, 04:19 AM
Lyse Antarran, Nightwalker Ranger (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87969)

The fair went better than expected, she actually enjoyed it for the most part and all the attractions and festivities stopped people from staring at her for overly long. The highlight for her being the fencing competition, her foot had slipped as she lunged at her opponent in the third round and she was eliminated earlier than she would have liked. But from aptly watching the rest of the tournament she had no doubt she wouldn't have made it past the fifth anyway. Rigfeld Lee, the half-elf that claimed first prize was perhaps the best duelist she'd ever seen. If she could manage to scrape together enough coin she planned to seek him out and get a few quality lessons.

"They should have just executed him the second time, it would have stopped his further offences and prevented the current circumstances," she states matter of factually as she pushes her empty plate away from her and folds her arms. If the criminal had lost his finger and still failed to learn, he was of no use and should have been disposed of in her view.

"I pick those bandits, they pose the biggest risk to our flock of hapless commoners. Wolves will only take a few chickens, maybe a lamb or two. The Goblins i would put second on the list, followed by the rumor of those lizardfolk - though they might just be lying to get us up there faster. The rest are just petty thievery, hurting people's pride but not their lives," she says stating her opinion on the matter.

cigaw
2015-02-11, 05:58 AM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

His first Festival on this foreign land was thoroughly enjoyable, even though he kept most of his attention on his duties, of course. Thankfully, nothing worse than a few pickpockets and a missing child or two (who were swiftly found) happened. Sunblaze considered entering a few of the events, especially the Swordsmanship Contest, but he thought best to not compete against his fellow Magistrates. The fact they had made him, a shipwrecked warrior from another land, their leader was still surprising and he'd rather not put anyone in an uncomfortable position. If anything was uncomfortable, it was this new-found mantle of leadership.

As Thomas spoke, Sunblaze couldn't help but smile at the halfing's sunny disposition. The pie-eating contest was, in fact, a sight to behold - if only for the spectacle.

Once they got down to business, Sunblaze grabbed a copy of a map for the Emerald District and started jotting down notes on it.

http://i.imgur.com/CdfW9DC.png

He listened to his peers intently, gauging the group's intent before speaking.

"What worries me most right now are lives at risk - the Lizardfolk, Goblins and Bandits, followed by the prisoner who escaped. From what I heard about Softclaw, he is not one to report without cause. I agree that the break-ins are low on the priority list but we could look into Mrs. Torinte's case, as she is one of our own."

He pauses as Dalia refills his glass. "Thank you, lass", he says, smiling warmly.

"As I was saying, how about first investigating today the Torinte case and after that dealing with the Bandits? What say you?"

His gaze pauses momentarily on each of his companions, a moment more on Tabitha, and he awaits their answer. A fine group. A motley crew, that's for sure, but a fine band of companions nonetheless.

I'm going to go ahead and assume from the OOC thread's discussion that Tabitha is second in command.

Inevitability
2015-02-11, 10:04 AM
Aritian contently thinks of the festival. The food was delicious, the people nice, and he even won a minor prize. It hadn't been the most productive five days, but does Aurilus not teach that a life without joy is a life without purpose?

The raised voices of his companions pull the Aasimar back into the here and now. Right, they had problems to attend to. Aritian politely asks for Sunblaze's map and takes a good look at it.

"I personally think that we should deal with the goblins first. They attacked lumberjacks, men with little worth stealing. Yet these goblins tried to kill those people, seriously injuring one in the process. Break-ins and bandits are troublesome, but stolen goods can be replaced or repaired. Lives can't. Can we really put money above the safety of people?"

The Aasimar's finger points towards the small dot representing Rysin, then looks at Sunblaze.

"I think we should first deal with the goblins, and handle the bandits later. What do you say?"

Anubis Dread
2015-02-11, 11:28 AM
"I say we're behind enough on our duties already without rushing across the district to deal with a problem when there's one right here in town," Jorick noted. A nice, safe problem too. It was hard for a simple break in to result in you being stabbed to death. Hard, but not impossible. Still it was both the safest job and seemed to offer some nice gold if they played their cards right. Jorick liked safe. Safe was good. Safe meant you didn't die a horrible, horrible death.

Entelechy
2015-02-11, 12:36 PM
"What are you doing?" Tabitha nearly shouts as soon as Sunblaze's inky quill moves towards the map. She knocks her chair over as she stands up abrupting and reaches to shield the map with her hands. "Do you have any idea how much time and work it takes to make a map?"

She gently tugs the map away from him, and, grumbling, marks the locations with small tokens.

As the meeting continues after her interruption, and the others voice their opinions, she adds "I would normally say the bandits are more worrisome than goblins, but since the goblins are on the way to one of the bandit sightings," Tabitha shrugs, "it seems like we have tasks in a row. But, boss, I wouldn't waste too much time on a break in."

cigaw
2015-02-11, 12:58 PM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 12/12 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

Sunblaze is somewhat taken aback by his companion's outburst. Whenever something like this happens he is never quite sure what is at fault: his ignorance of local customs or a conflict of personalities. He nonetheless attempts to defuse the situation, reminded of the fact that his First Mate is a passionate cartographer. "My apologies, Tabitha. I shall endeavor to be more careful in the future. Next time, a simple word will suffice to stay my hand", he says with a sincere smile.

"As for the matter at hand, there are three reasons why I'd like to resolve the Torinte business first: it is the closest assignment, I'd like to secure our home village before moving on and, related to the second reason, to keep the local villagers happy with us, instead of resentful that we overlooked our own problems. Granted, the last point may be minor, considering that there are lives at stake elsewhere.

If, however, we find that the Torinte business is not worth our time, I propose we should first proceed to Rysin and deal with the Goblins before securing the southern road from Bandits. It is, as you said, on the way."

Taking a moment to look over the map once again, he lifts his gaze and asks "Brys, any thoughts on this? Your knowledge of the area might be helpful in making this decision.

Inevitability
2015-02-11, 01:34 PM
Aritian nods contently. The break-in would take a few days of their time, at most. While it was still risky, the chances of another goblin attack in those few days would have to be accepted.

"I respect your decision, Sunblaze. Your words are wise and your aims noble. I can't do anything but agree with that."

Foodle
2015-02-11, 03:28 PM
Lyse Antarran, Nightwalker Ranger (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87969)

"Just don't leave the goblins and highwaymen too long. For now we have a good idea where they are, if we wait too long their tracks could be swept away by time and the weather," Lyse points out.

Not that she was really worried about losing their tracks, most of her life had been spent finding tracks and the near perpetual fine weather in this area left little chance of the rain washing away the signs she needed to find their quarry. She just knew investigating the thefts would require talking to people, and on this side of the mountains with all the staring and stupid superstitions, it wasn't something she enjoyed doing very much.

Dudeons
2015-02-11, 06:31 PM
Brys Bearskin, Human Barbarian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87577)

The sudden question disrupted Brys's pondering of the situation. Setting down the apple he had been working on, Brys looks over the map on the table for a second before answering.

"Your plan seems to make sense, Sun," Brys says, "Going along a row from goblins to bandits would allow us to be efficient. It definitely seems like a good place to start.

cigaw
2015-02-11, 07:06 PM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 12/12 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

A look of determination sets in his eyes as he smiles. "Then we are decided! We investigate Madam Torinte's Estate and then make haste to deal with Goblins and Bandits. Even if they evade us at first I am confident in our ability to locate them." He turns to the halfing to address him: "If it pleases you, Magistrate Delagato, this is our course. By your leave we shall set off as soon as my companions finish their hearty breakfast and collect their gear."

Sunblaze could feel a familiar sensation already welling up in his chest - the thrill of adventure at hand. This time, however, it was balanced by his responsibility to his peers. Not at all a bad thing, to be sure.

Foodle
2015-02-11, 08:21 PM

Scrapping her chair back Lyse stands and prepares to leave to get her gear as it seemed that their first order of business had been decided. Letting out a loud sigh, remembering the yelling of her mother all her youth, she turns back to the table and picks up her plate and disappears into the kitchen. "That wine hasn't been touched if you want it Thomas," she offers indicating the drink poured for her with a nod as she passes back through and on to collect her gear.

In her and Tabitha's rooms she opens the wooden chest at the foot of her bed and takes out her blade, a thin deceptively sharp sliver of metal she'd brought with her to these lands. Specially forged for her kind, a tiny channel ran the length of the blade leading to the grip which had a small barb allowing her to pierce her thumb should she desire and use her tainted blood to poison her enemies. Pulling out her shield too, she sets it on the ground at her feet while she shuffles around in the chest in search of her dagger before remembering the blade had broken when they were practicing throwing it against a tree on the way home from the fair. Finally taking out her balled up net and a pair of iron manacles. Pocketing their key she slings her shield over her shoulder and returns downstairs. They were just going to the other side of town, she doubted she'd need her full traveling kit.

Poking her head back into the kitchen she calls out to Dalia. "Dalia, when you get time can you run down to Tolbino's forge and pick me up a new dagger? And tell that cheeky dwarf this new one better not lose to the trunk of a tree!" she says handing over a small handful of coins. "Oh and a waterskin if you can, i can't seem to find mine," she says shooting a suspicious look Joricks way. "Bargain well, you can keep whatever you don't spend."

I forgot to buy a dagger and a waterskin when i made the character sheet up. :smallredface:
Lyse hand's Dalia: 1 gold coin and 3 electrum pieces.

niks97cobra
2015-02-11, 08:23 PM
"Most excellent. I believe it is a wise choice to at least speak with Belle before heading out of town. It is just around the corner after all," the halfling says. "Make sure you take one of the ravens with you, in case you need to send word back to me. Be safe out there. For Padonthia!"

He toasts you all, taking Lyse's glass as well, and continues his meal. Once done with breakfast, you all gather your belongings and make any preparations needed for the day.

Dalia does as instructed by Lyse, and fetches her a new dagger and waterskin. "Tolbino sends his apologies, my lady."

Meeting out front of the Magistrate's Office, you quickly make your way through town. The smells of the Emerald Tanker's breakfast menu make their way on to the streets. The shops along Main Street are full, the south of metal on metal can be heard as the blacksmith creates his wares. The farmer's market is full of fresh vegetables. The smell of fresh baked pastries pleases your senses as you pass by the pastry shop. Children play games in the park as you stroll through the village. You get the odd look here and there, such a well armed force, and quite an eclectic group will always get attention, even if most of the villagers know you by now. The group gets a few glares here and there from those who distrust foreigners and tieflings. You know you still have to prove yourselves.

You approach Torinte Gardens. The estate home is surrounded by a maze of hedges that line beautiful gardens that have flowers in various stages of blooming. Cherry trees are scattered about, and rows and rows of vegetable gardens wrap around the side of the building. In the front left corner of the grounds is a small stage, with rows of benches in an amphitheater layout. When the weather is nice, especially during festivals, Lady Torinte will hold concerts and plays on her property for anyone to come and see.

Gardeners toil about outside as you approach the front of the house. The house is your typical two story estate home with a large front porch.

"Yoohoo!" A middle aged woman calls out. The lady, a human, sits in a large wooden rocking chair on the front porch. A glass of wine sits full on a side table, and a half empty bottle sits in her lap. She takes a quick swig and rises.

"I was hoping you would be stopping by, but I did not think it would be this soon. I trust everyone enjoyed the festival in Emerald Bay?" You have met her on a few occasions, she stays slightly inebriated. She owns both the Reclusive Tavern, by far the most popular of the two in town, and the local wine shops. She has one shop here in Turtle Bay, and four more in the district. Belle Torinte is usually very cheerful, until late evening, once she has had a bit to much wine.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-11, 08:49 PM
Darn, he'd hoped they would meet inside. A few baubles dissappearing after a robbery wouldn't provoke much suspicion. On the other hand, stealing from the towns people was a bad idea. That's what got him in such hot water in the past.

"Always a pleasure Belle," Jorrick greets her graciously. If someone had more money and power than you it paid to be pleasant. "We couldn't ignore a call for aid from a fellow Turtle dweller. Especially one as influential and beautious as yourself. But business is business - I hate to cut the pleasantries short, but could you give us a run down of the incident?"

niks97cobra
2015-02-11, 09:13 PM
Belle blushes a bit, takes a sip of wine fron the bottle and begins her story.

"A business man, I like that. Well, you see, there isn't much to tell, to be quite honest. I was at the festival, so I was not in town. Only two servants stayed behind in the estate to take care of things. They said they woke up to find the dead bolt on the back door undone. They searched the house for anything missing, and couldn't find anything out of place. It was not until I got home last night and found out what had been taken. You see, I had bought a case of emerald meteorite flutes, quite rare, made by the gnomes of Weathertop. I had just taken possession of them a few weeks ago. Nobody in my home even knew about them except my son who traveled all the way to Weathertop to retrieve them for me."

Belle seems quite perplexed by the break in. She continues, "I heard Fischer's Cradle was broken into as well. Do you think the two might be related?"

Meteorite Flute
Meteorite flute's were one of the first items designed by the gnomes from the meteor's ore. Sapphire ones are extremely rare, emerald ones are very rare and onyx ones are rare.

In game terms, they are a +1 magic item that gives you a +1 for spellcasting if you can use it as an arcane focus.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-11, 09:32 PM
The bolt had been undone... hm. Bolts were somewhat tricky to take down from the outside. Either it was an inside job or they were dealing with a skilled thief. What's more the flutes were the only items taken. This meant once again either an inside job or a skilled thief who had done a stake out. Why only the instruments though? The place had numerous things of value. Perhaps the client was a spellcaster... or was desperate enough for meteorite shards even worked pieces would suffice.

"Thank you for such a concise and detailed report," Jorick thanked their charge. "We'll need statements from your servants of course. And your son if he isn't back on his travels. But before either of those things I'd appreciate being given a chance to look around the crime scene."

niks97cobra
2015-02-11, 10:38 PM
"I apologize, good sir, but looking around the crime scene will not be happening. Obviously one person already knows where I hide my valuables, I will not be showing any more. If you would like to see the door, I can show you that, but I assure you, it is nothing more than a door with a lock and a dead bolt, that someone, some how managed to open it without waking my help," she says, quite taken aback that you thought you'd be able to enter her home.

"My son lives with his family in Emerald Bay, you may seek him out there if you wish to question him." Belle's tone continues to switch to defensive. "I have no clue why you would want to talk to him."

After a moment, the flustered Belle calls out, "Lisa, Dretone, please come over here." She waves over two of her servants who have been standing close by.

"Please tell the magistrates what happened," Belle requests of the two servants.

Both Lisa and Dretone both tell their story just as Belle had described. They locked up before bed, all windows and doors. When they awoke in the morning, Dretone noticed the back door was not locked. Both swear they had not been out of the house, and that they heard nothing the night before. This was three days ago. Only Belle knew the instruments were there to know that they could have been missing.

By this time, Belle has regained her composure at bit. "I tell you what, if you return my case of flutes, I'll give one as a reward."

Foodle
2015-02-11, 10:42 PM

Lyse gives the lady a small nod and tight lipped smile in greeting. "Like squirrels will steal from each other, it would seem someone else has taken advantage of the festival to help themselves to a few things. I doubt they're connected," she replies offhandedly and then goes to search the perimeter and look at the backdoor she'd mentioned. If this was a inside job she'd probably find nothing, but if it was an outsider, he might have been watching the building for a couple of days and perhaps left something behind that might give them a clue.

Last time i rolled for a some detective work i got dual 20's. Fingers crossed luck is still with me. (Also first rolls of the game!!)

Searching for any discarded items, rubbish, footprints, etc. along the edge of the property and near the back door...
Perception: [roll0]
Investigation: [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]

Anubis Dread
2015-02-11, 10:48 PM
No access to the scene of the crime? That would make their work much harder. Honestly the suspicion of people now days! ...then again he HAD been planning to palm a few things on the way in and out. So maybe some suspicion was warranted.

"Only two people knew that the flutes were here. Though I completely trust your son and know he wouldn't be privy to any kind of crime, it is possible he was tailed. If he was, he may have seen something suspicious," Jorick attempts to put Belle's mind at ease. Of course the son could DEFINITELY be in on it all, but there was no reason to tell her that.

The servants stories checked out. He still wanted to get a good sniff at them though. As well as the door. The problem was when he was in his other form he might be more perceptive, but it only lasted a very short period of time. He needed to get as much information from a single shift as possible.

"We would be most gracious for such a gift, but right now our main concern is making sure a robber who would steal from a pillar of our community goes unpunished," Jorick replies. A flute? Score! That thing had be worth... twice what it was actually worth if he was selling it! "As such could you two please remind me - what were you doing on the night of the incident?"

With that Jorick shifted, becoming half-man half-jackal. This should bring some thing to light.

Insight: 1d20+3, 1d20+3
And if time after that Survival on the surrounding grounds: 1d20+1, 1d20+1

niks97cobra
2015-02-11, 11:22 PM
Lyse
Studying the door turns up nothing. There is no sign of forced entry. You find no tracks out of the ordinary. Plenty of servants have walked around the area, and all walkways on premise are made of small pebbles.

Jorick
Dretone, being a shifter himself, is not deterred by the disgusting ability to look like an animal. "We were here, alone. We keep the house like we are paid to do. We never left after night fall."

Your insight can tell he is telling the truth, but you see Belle's leg start twitching. Just focusing your attention on her causes her to break.

"Stop it, okay! They are innocent! Its all my fault," Belle begins sobbing. She gulps down some wine before continuing. "On the first night of the festival I got a bit too drunk. A good looking, young well dressed man was showing me attention. I couldn't resist him. I may have let it slip that I had received the flutes. We went to my room at the Emerald Inn. I woke up the next morning and couldn't remember anything after getting to the room! I am so embarrassed, please don't tell my son!"

Anubis Dread
2015-02-12, 01:11 AM
It was a good thing both his physical and mental senses were bolstered while transformed. Jorick would hate to have let slip something snide by instinct for such an important client.

"My muzzle is sealed," Jorick replies earnestly, shifting back into his human form. It seemed like they still didn't have permission to enter the manor proper. As such they weren't going to find anything else here. They'd best just ask a few more questions and move on. "In fact with that bit of information I don't think we need to question him at all. We will however need a description of the man and anyone you know saw the two of you together. Don't worry, we know how to be discrete."

Well, he did anyway.

Inevitability
2015-02-12, 02:58 AM
Aritian had mostly been looking around the door. At Belle's outburst, however, he turns and listens perplexedly.

"Miss, do not worry. We won't tell anyone. Jorick is right though, we need more information.

Oh, and could you tell us how many flutes exactly were stolen?"

The bard can't help but frown a little. Seems like this was going to take a while. He wanted this to be over as soon as possible, so that they might shift their attention to real problems, like the goblins.

cigaw
2015-02-12, 05:45 AM

Sunblaze stayed silent after the introductions, observing and allowing the Magistrates to do their work. Which they did beautifully. Ah, this is good information. We are getting somewhere, he thinks with a look of approval on his face.

"Fret not, Madam Torinte; any information we collect while on the job is confidential. My fellows are right - could you please give as as detailed an account of this man and of the incident as you can? His name, race, age, hair color, city of origin, at what time you were together, how many flutes there were and what did they and their case look like, anything at all. The smallest detail might prove to be the key to this."

Turning to his companions he asks Now, how could someone undo the bolt like that? Maybe someone with knowledge of the arcane?" He turns back to Belle "After your encounter with this man, have you noticed if any of your keys have gone missing?"

Insight: [roll0]
Obviously my first roll is a 1. :smallyuk:

Inevitability
2015-02-12, 12:25 PM
Aritian does not attempt close investigation of the bolt. He does, however, try to think of any magic that could have caused the door to become unlocked.

Arcana: [roll0]
Religion: [roll1]

Foodle
2015-02-12, 02:29 PM

"Nothing," Lyse says disappointingly as she returns from inspecting the back door.

While the others question the drunk lady and nothing in immediate need of her attention, she waits behind the group facing back towards town. Needing something to occupy her hands while she waits, she tugs at her folded up net on her hip, pulling free one of the weighted corners which she absently swings and flicks against the side of her leg in an attempt to keep herself occupied.

niks97cobra
2015-02-12, 04:36 PM
"Well, he was human," she begins. "He had long dark, his face was sleek and angled. He had small gold hoop earrings. He was in his thirties, I couldn't place the accent, definitely not from these parts. He said he traveled a long way to get here."

She goes on describing him until Tabitha has a pretty good sketch that you can show people.

"Who ever was at the inn would have seen us. There was a bartender, he was bald, don't recall his name. The place was crowded, so I'm sure plenty of people saw us, but no one paid any attention to us that I'm aware of. No keys were missing, nothing else is missing. There were six flutes in the case. The case is all black, lined in silver adorned with emeralds."

Aritian
You see no reason a knock spell could not have unlocked the door.

cigaw
2015-02-12, 07:13 PM

Sunblaze nodded at each new piece of information and committed it to memory. Tabitha's sketch hardly surprised him; the girl is obviously talented.

"Hmm. Thank you for your this information, Madam Torinte. Please do not take this as insistence on my part, but are you certain we may not be allowed to investigate the scene of the crime? It would take but a moment and you have my oath that my companions are trustworthy. I wish to be as thorough as possible so as to return these flutes to their rightful owner."

Persuasion (permission to search indoors): [roll0]

Does the description and portrait ring any bells from the Festival? Maybe I saw him talking to someone?

In case a roll is warranted, hare are some since I'm not sure what applies:
INT check/Investigation (same modifier): [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]
1d20 in case it's something else: [roll3]

Inevitability
2015-02-13, 01:34 AM
"I think that either this man had a spellcaster with him, or he is one. I know a spell that could easily have unlocked the door, which would explain how he could enter so easily." Aritian reports. A spellcaster... this might prove more difficult than he at first thought.

niks97cobra
2015-02-13, 03:43 AM
"I assure you, there is nothing to be gained by finding out my hiding spots. No offense sir, but at this point, I am having trouble trusting myself." She reasserts that fact that no one is going in her home.

It is quite possible that one of you may have recognized seeing the individual, but if you did, the man didn't do anything to attract your attention. You saw thousands of people and had to deal with many unruly drunks, and common criminals such as pick pockets throughout the course of the festival.

Running tally of leads:
Belle Torinte had instruments stolen from her estate in Turtle Bay.

Investigated Belle Torinte's Estate.
Belle Torinte spent the night with a man at the Emerald Inn in Emerald Bay who she told about the purchased instruments.
Lumberjacks were attack by a group of goblins, one of which lost his leg.

Bandits attacked a caravan on the road south of Tolmin's Crossing.

A break in was report in Tolman's Crossing at Fischer's Cradle tavern.

Four Finger Floyd escaped the dungeons of Emerald Bay, and he was last seen swimming to Silo's Island.

Activity has been reported at the ruins of Berrythorne Keep, west of New Haven.

Lizardfolk seen on Silo's Island, and there are missing sheep.

A pack of untrained wolves escaped from Emerald Bay.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-13, 12:06 PM
"Completely understandable," Jorick assure her. It wasn't if she wanted those flutes back. But worst case scenario they failed because she didn't let them in to investigate. In which case it would be her own fault. And since she was the client, that was an acceptable risk. "If that's all I believe our next stop will be the Inn. Once again we will be discrete I swear. Oh, one last question in case the inn keep doesn't remember. Do you recall the room you stayed in?"

niks97cobra
2015-02-13, 04:23 PM
"Oh, I believe it was room 27," she replies as she finishes the bottle of wine and picks up the glass she had poured. "I always pour a glass first, so that when I get to the bottom of the bottle and get disappointed, I remember I have more."

cigaw
2015-02-14, 06:46 AM

Well, it was worth trying. This might put a damper on the investigation but we have other leads.

"Very well, it shall be as you wish, Madam Torinte," he says with a slight bow. "Onward to the Inn then. Let us see what we can find there.

niks97cobra
2015-02-14, 04:46 PM
You bid fairwell and make your way through the village to the docks. A young halfling by the name of Wilbur Bumbleshnoots sits along this side of the river, waiting to ferry guests across. He makes a bit of small talk, but nothing important. He ferries you to the other side of the river, commenting he will be putting it on the village's tab. It takes about an hour and half on horseback (as Jorick mentioned, a cart was brought along as well) to reach the village of Silo's Island. The village has a wooden wall around it, but at this time of day, now close to noon, the gates are wide open. The village is your typical village, slightly smaller than Turtle Bay. Fields cover the island, and you spotted dozens of farm houses on your way in. You enter the gates without anyone saying anything. A few locals take notice of you, but they recognize you. As you pass through the village, a dwarf hails you down. You recognize the dwarf as Jerrard Bonerock, head of the small town guard.

"The lot of you in town 'cause of Four Finger Floyd, or the lizardfolk?" the dwarf asks.

Silo's Island to Emerald Bay is just under five miles from the village, and you'll have to cross another ferry.

Foodle
2015-02-14, 06:02 PM

Lyse looks to Sunblaze for the answer to the dwarfs question before she leans over the side of the cart and peers down at the dwarf. "The thief didn't just keep running?" she asks surprised. "Very stupid. If i was him i'd be halfway down the coast by now. Has he been seen about then?"

Anubis Dread
2015-02-14, 06:17 PM
((Deleted))

cigaw
2015-02-14, 07:12 PM

Sunblaze tries to enjoy the ferry ride as much as he can. It's a far cry from the open seas, but it feels good to be on the water again.

He smiles broadly as he sees the dwarf approaching.

"Hail and well-met, Master Bonerock! We are currently in transit to Emerald Bay on different matters, but I will certainly appreciate if you give us any information you have on the Lizardfolk and Floyd. Can you brief us as we make our way to the ferry?"

OK, two things:
1 - I seem to have completely glossed over the fact that the Inn was in Emerald Bay. For whatever reason I thought it was in Turtle Bay. Sorry guys, I'll pay more attention. Derp.

2 - Just to be clear, we are currently in Silo's Island Village and still have to take the second ferry to Emerald Bay, where the Inn where Belle and our perp went to is, right? How long would it take us to get to the Inn itself?

Entelechy
2015-02-15, 12:12 AM
Tabitha kept busy making the sketch of the suspect, and then making copies. Mapmaking requires the precise duplication of images, and she had spent countless days of her apprenticeship doing naught by meticulously copying maps, every quiver of the coastline. Copying her own sketch was comparatively quite easy. As her companions were ready to make haste to the ferry, she laid a land on Sunblaze's shoulder, and had a quiet word.

"Would it not be hasty to skip past the island, leave the lizardfolk and convict uninvestigated for greed of a flute? I hate to say it, but let's at least take an hour to search for signs of the lizardmen before carrying on. We can send a messenger ahead to the Emerald Bay guard with a copy of our sketch."

Inevitability
2015-02-15, 04:21 AM
Aritian passes the time on the ferry with some flute-playing and reading in his prayer book.

Tabitha's suggestion is surprising. On the one hand, he wanted to get this over with as soon as possible. But what if the lizardfolk were real, or that four-fingered thief was planning to do something harmful to those good people? Briefly checking wouldn't hurt.

"Tabitha is right. One hour of asking around won't be very troublesome, will it? It can safe us time later on if we know whether the lizardfolk are real or not."

niks97cobra
2015-02-15, 04:23 AM
Bonerock responds, "The last anyone reported, Floyd entered one of the small forests on the north end of the island. No one knows if he has left or not. This was two days ago. As far as the lizardfolk, I've been told at least three farmers are missing livestock.

Sunblaze
Correct, you are in the village called Silo's Island, on the island. There is a ferry about 4.5 miles from the village. Crossing the river takes at most an hour. The ferry takes you directly to Emerald Bay where the inn is.

cigaw
2015-02-15, 06:40 AM

Sunblaze hears his First Mate's suggestion and realizes she is absolutely right. Damning his narrow focus and tendency to single-mindedness he eagerly adopts the better idea.

"A wise suggestion, Tabitha! I considered investigating the island on our way back but it makes much more sense to do it now. We should talk with these farmers and maybe even look at the northern forest. With Lyse and Jorick's keen eyes and tracking skills we could probably locate this thief easily as well - or at least determine where he ran off to."

Anubis Dread
2015-02-15, 12:12 PM
"...we're going to have to fight lizardmen, aren't we?" Jorick sighed. He couldn't rebuff their arguments. They were all completely sound. He just hated jobs where his life would be put on the line. He much preferred the simple jobs like the one they were on currently. But then again, the whole reason he hung around these guys was so that they would make him take risks he wouldn't normally. No risk, no reward after all.

"Alright fine. Who knows, maybe the lizardmen killed the thief and took the flutes for their own? It's a long shot, but the two incidents could be related somehow, even just casually."

Foodle
2015-02-15, 01:33 PM

"Stranger things have happened," Lyse shrugs to Jorick, "Shall we go talk to these farmers and see if we can find some tracks then?"

niks97cobra
2015-02-15, 04:33 PM
It takes you a little over an hour to reach Miles Cotton's farm. Bonerock suggested his farm first, since it is centrally located to the other two, and Miles reported the most recent attack. The farm is on the south end of the island, just about a half mile from the coast and the tidal marshes that the lizardfolk of the area love. You approach a typical farm house. He has a decent flock of sheep, and several acres of cropland and several more of land for the sheep to graze on. Several children are playing outside, and barking dogs alert Miles that you are here. Miles approaches you. He is a human in his forties. His eyes are squinted and his skin is like leather. He has worked outside his whole life, that is plain to see. "You must be the magistrates."

cigaw
2015-02-15, 06:42 PM

"Aye, that we are, Master Cotton. I am Sunblaze, hailing from the distant land of Hallowind, and these are my companions." Sunblaze introduces them all in turn. "We have been informed that your flock has been targeted by Lizardfolk. Is that so? Please regale us with your tale and leave no detail out."

niks97cobra
2015-02-16, 02:17 AM
"No tale to tell. Get one of the bodies," Cotton yells to one of his sons. A young teenager runs off and comes back with... well... something.

The lizardfolk killled, skinned and de-boned the sheep. All that is left is a pile of bones. "There are three more piles like this, lords," the boy says to you.

"This happened about a quarter mile south, just off the coast. We believe the dogs ran them off, one came back with a cut leg," Cotton says.

Inevitability
2015-02-16, 11:54 AM
Aritian steps back from the bones in loathing. Dead things had never been his favorite thing to look at. Once he has regained his composure, the Aasimar inquires:

"Good mister... Cotton, was it? I am sorry for the loss of your sheep, but how exactly do you know it was lizardfolk? I mean, this could be done by anyone, not just by them. As a wise man once said: 'Only the glory of good is certain, all else is veiled.'"

niks97cobra
2015-02-16, 07:02 PM
"I heard the dogs barking. I rushed as fast as I could, but the beasts were gone by time I got there, but their tracks weren't. Must have only been one or two for the dogs not to notice them sooner," Cotton replies.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-16, 07:03 PM
"In other words it could be anything with somewhat lizardman shaped feet," Jorick replied wryly. "Granted it's as good a guess as any I suppose. The tracks seem the place to start if we're going to try and track these things down."

niks97cobra
2015-02-16, 07:34 PM
Cotton grabs a horse and leads you to the site of the attack. The old tracks are still visible, but there are also new tracks, meaning what ever did this, had returned to the site.

cigaw
2015-02-16, 07:51 PM

"Hmm. Fresher tracks should make our task somewhat easier." Sunblaze looks at the tracks and tries to make sense of them. "Jorick, Lyse, what do you make of this? I am sadly out of my element."

I imagine identifying and following the tracks would fall under a survival check? If so:
Survival: [roll0]

I'd also like to keep a wary eye in case whatever did this is around or observing us.
Perception: [roll1]

Anubis Dread
2015-02-16, 08:08 PM
Getting down onto his hands and knees Jorick shifted into his more animalistic form and sniffed at the fresher tracks.

Survival: [roll0], [roll1]
Perception: [roll2], [roll3]

Entelechy
2015-02-16, 08:21 PM
Folks, these lizardman attacked no one but sheep, it was a dog that got a cut on its leg, not a farmer. That last point is extra important to note because it means that dogs were enough to drive them away. We need to think hard about how time sensitive this is, in light of the bandits and quickly vanishing flutes. Tabitha let her thoughts seep out to her fellow magistrates. She picked up one of the sheep bones, and inspected it for tool marks. She had deboned enough animals in her time to know it took a fair bit of skills, and it was easy to bang into the bone with your tool. Especially if they were moving quickly. Marks on the bone could tell her whether they still relied on stone and flint, or had iron and steel. Maybe even give a sense of how sharp it was. Lots of marks would likely mean they were moving fast, and a few or no marks meant they had took their time, and probably had done this lots.

cigaw
2015-02-16, 08:29 PM

I'm assuming the telepathic bond allows for two-way communication. If not, replace my thoughts with a simple "got it" nod towards Tabitha. Nicks clarified this on the OOC thread.

A fair point. I'd say that time sensitivity depends heavily on what exactly it is we're dealing with. More dangerous creatures would likely quickly become a threat to the farmers.

It'll take time to get used to this... Sunblaze nods agreement towards Tabitha.

Foodle
2015-02-16, 09:24 PM

Lyse walks over with Jorick and waits til he has a sniff around, she couldn't help smiling, he really was quite like a dog down there on the ground. While he was doing his business, she followed the fresher set of tracks off a little ways, trying to see if she could tell roughly where they were coming from. As Tabitha's thought reached her she turned to look at her and gave a shrug. This seemed more important to her than chasing around after a drunk old lady that let herself be drugged. Served her right.

Checking for authenticity of the tracks and where they lead...

Looking for any evidence that might give some info from where they came from, out of place reeds, slime, discarded tools etc...
Investigation: [roll2]

Inevitability
2015-02-17, 10:28 AM
Aritian can't help but shudder a little as the tiefling's thoughts reach him. No matter how often she'd do that, he'd never get used to it. People had mouths for a reason, didn't they?

The bard ponders her words. She was right, a few sheep were nothing when compared to bloodthirsty goblins and evil bandits. They were already on a mission he considered unimportant; adding another would be too time-consuming. His earlier wish for a quick inspection was satisfied, but an extensive search? No.

"Friends, I think we should reconsider this. We are already spending valueable time on the flute thief, will we really waste even more on sheep-killers? There are people in danger not far from here, and we should not ignore their cries for help. I can accept first investigating the theft of those flutes, but adding another thing to do will just take too much time.

How about we first go to Emerald Bay, do what we have to do there, and drop by here again on our way back. If the lizardfolk have returned, we will give it a look, otherwise we will immediately travel to the goblin victims."

niks97cobra
2015-02-17, 04:24 PM
Following the tracks will be easy enough, but Lyse finds a night reed, which only grows on a small portion of the island's tidal areas. Between the tracks, and the reeds, the group can determine this was indeed lizardfolk. They used tools made from stone and bone, as well as their claws. For what looks like a quick job, they had remarkable precision. All things adding up together, you can determine the lizard folk are probably camped out just to the east of you, along the islands coast.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-17, 04:26 PM
"We're already here, and the lizardmen must only be less than a half day away if they're able to raid so regularly," Jorick noted as he shifted back to normal. "As much as I hate to admit it we might as well take care of the lizardfolk while we're here. We'll probably be back by nightfall, which is when we'd get the most information from the inn on the robery anyway."

cigaw
2015-02-17, 04:52 PM

Sunblaze takes his companions aside for a moment, so as to not have the farmer overhear the conversation, certain he wouldn't appreciate having his troubles put aside for another job elsewhere.

"It is my understanding that we are spread thin right now. I also understand that there may be more pressing matters elsewhere, even though we cannot be certain of any facts until we personally investigate. You know my heart is as your own, Aritian, and I view the lives at risk with all seriousness.

However, we are getting sidetracked more and more easily and seem to have trouble committing to a course of action. We must certainly be flexible to respond to different facts as they appear, but we must also have a goal in sight.

I put this suggestion before you: Let us deal with these lizardfolk now - they have only attacked sheep so far but they are vicious and that may change soon; we are in a position to protect these farmers and their livelihood. If we can accomplish this quickly, we may look at the woods where Four-Finger Floyd is hiding, as a convicted criminal on the run is a dangerous loose end who may become desperate in finding a way to flee. If we apprehend him we can escort him back to Emerald Bay, where we will try to find the stolen flutes. If no new information is apparent with regards to Miss Torinte's case, we abandon that search - for the time being - and make haste towards the south, letting loose our vengeance on bandits and goblins alike.

How does that sound to you, my friends?"

Foodle
2015-02-17, 05:09 PM

Lyse walks back with part of a plant in her hand, "I think i know where they might be, i found this over there," she says holding up the reed to the farmer and the others. "They didn't make much effort to cover their tracks either."

She loosens the rapier at her waist and her tail starts to twitch back and forth with impatience, as she's eager to head off after the Lizardfolk, a task she much better suited to than hunting down some flutes.

Inevitability
2015-02-18, 11:22 AM
Aritian sighes a little, but then silently nods. The criminal and lizardfolk were dangerous too, weren't they?

"Good. We will do as you said."

The Aasimar glances over in the direction Lyse is coming from, giving her an encouraging smile. Eagerness was always good.

niks97cobra
2015-02-18, 08:29 PM
The group follows the tracks down to the tidal marsh. The land is fairly flat and clear, so it is easy to spot the lizardfolk's camp. They have built a crude shack on a mound. The lizardfolk spot you as you approach. From about a hundred and fifty feet away, you can see there are three lizardfolk. They form ranks next to each other, holding javelins in one hand, and a spiked shield in the other.

Lizardfolk
AC: 15, Wis +1, Dex +0
Hit Points
L1: 19
L2: 18
L3: 18

Anubis Dread
2015-02-18, 08:40 PM
They'd been spotted. That was fine, they could claim they weren't being stealthy. In theory they didn't need to KILL the lizard men. They could just scare them off, or trick them. That being the case...

"Good lizard men! And women. Folk. ...my scaled brethren!" Jorick called over to them. "We come in peace! In fact we come in more than peace. We come bearing tribute to your glory! You have... bested us! We surrender! Take us to your leader, so we might bestow upon you our tokens of mercy and explain the terms of our complete surrender to lizardfolk rules!"

Deception: [roll0]
Intitiative: [roll1]

niks97cobra
2015-02-18, 08:48 PM
The lizardfolk yell something at you, which you can't understand, but you believe it to be draconic. The chant some kind of war chant and shake their javelins at you.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-18, 09:00 PM
Draconic... so it seems they couldn't speak common. Well then he'd just have to bust out a little draconic of his own.

"Kasha dragonic shia... kobold. Scalish shishtack garoth flock! Kasha!" Jorick yells in reply, trying to make his words vague enough that they'd assume he was speaking whatever they wanted to hear. Raising his hands in surrender.

Well... in 3.5 you could use Bluff to trick people into thinking you were speaking their language, so [roll0] hopefully.

...and yes I only know that because of Sir Bearington.

niks97cobra
2015-02-18, 09:10 PM
The lizardfolk yell more incomprehensible things, continuing to shake their javelins.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-18, 09:12 PM
"...well they're not attacking. Mission accomplished?" Jorick asks the others.

Foodle
2015-02-18, 09:24 PM

"Pretty words, but i don't think they understand Jorick," Lyse notes as she starts making her way to the left, her shield ready before her, in an attempt to get a better view of the camp and to flank them should fighting break out. Which she figuring was pretty likely seeing as communication seemed impossible for now.

niks97cobra
2015-02-18, 09:57 PM
One of the lizardfolk throw javelin as Lyse separates from the group. The javelin does not reach this far, but it acts as a pretty good warning throw. Moving to the left, you can see that just past the mound is a tidal stream, and the lizardfolk have a canoe tied up.

Entelechy
2015-02-18, 10:37 PM
Tabitha curses softly.

"Alright. Time for a show then," Tabitha mutters, and then begins speaking softly chanting words unfit for a human mouth. She blinks, and her eyes change to match the repilian eyes of the lizardmen, and tremours spread across the ground. Tabitha's voice echoes out in the minds of those around her.

These lands are under out protection. You will not find a home or food here. We will give you enough food for three days for the three of you, while you search for new lands. But you must leave. If you do not not, we will fight, and it will be an hourable battle but you will loose.

Tabitha utters a few more arcane words, and a small-scale illusion springs up of the aftermath of a battle. To be charitable, she shows all members of the party having a wounds of varying degrees of severity, but all three lizardmen dead.

If you will accept our gift of food and leave, place your first to your chest in agreement.

Tabitha puts her left fist to the right of her chest to demonstrate.

I used Theaumaturgy to change my eyes and make the ground shake (duration 1 minute), and minor illusion to make the diorama of the aftermath of the battle.

Persuasion. [roll0]

niks97cobra
2015-02-19, 12:24 AM
The lizardfolk converse for a moment, then one of the lizardfolk walks forward about thirty feet and makes a gesture wanting the food.

Entelechy
2015-02-19, 12:33 AM
I can someone spot me two day's rations? she sends the thought out to her teammates. As she does so, Tabitha unslings her pack, making no sudden of threatening movements. She isn't in a rush. She wants another teammate to have time to volunteer the two days worth of rations she is short. She begins unpacking it on the ground, getting out the rations and unwrapping them.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-19, 12:50 AM
"Sure, not like they were mine originally anyway," Jorick shrugged as he rummaged through his pack and handed over some food. If they could resolve this peacefully he'd be pretty damn happy. Any day he didn't have to risk his life was a good day.

Inevitability
2015-02-19, 01:44 AM
Aritian looks in horror as the tiefling uses her magicks. Then again, it seemed to help, so why not be happy? Nonviolent solutions were always the best, right?

The bard reaches into his pack and takes out two carefully wrapped rations, realizing those are his last ones. He'd have to do some shopping once they had time for it.

"Congratulations on getting them to stop fighting, Tabitha. Here, take those."

He then hands over the two rations.

cigaw
2015-02-19, 05:34 AM

Sunblaze takes a balanced stance and stands ready to act if the need arises. He hopes the plan will work but he does not trust the lizardfolk one whit. They might decide that attacking us to take all of our food is the best course of action.

niks97cobra
2015-02-19, 04:47 PM
The lizardfolk greedily accepts the peace offering. He salutes you by placing a clawed hand on his chest and returns to the hut. The lizardfolk load up their canoe and drift towards the coast.

Foodle
2015-02-19, 05:13 PM

Lyse straightens up out of her defensive crouch as the lizardfolk paddle off and wanders over to their abandoned camp flipping over baskets with a booted foot, lifting discarded things away with her scabbard, not really wanting to get her hands dirty with the filth of the place, as she rummaged through what things they'd left behind. She wasn't sure what she was looking for, mostly just making sure they hadn't left anything valuable behind they might decide to return for. They hadn't bothered to take much of their things before they left, so she was hoping they weren't just going to paddle out of view and return in a few hours to raid more sheep... and then get more free food.

She hoped the lizardfolk were smarter than that and knew it would cost their lives if they came back, but she'd seen beggars on the streets of Val-Norn, where she'd grown up. If you fed one of them, the next day three more would return with him and soon you were faced with a swarm of hungry, hopeful bodies that could quickly change into a mob intent of taking all you owned.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-19, 05:18 PM
Well that worked. They managed to get rid of the lizardfolk with a bribe. Ideally they'd stay bribed rather than coming back for more tribute. If hey did they could kill them then, but for now he was happy to have the non-violent approach work.

Plus they may have left some loot behind! Or some decorations at least. Or a latrene and a jar even. He'd been meaning to stock up on alchemical weaponry...

cigaw
2015-02-19, 05:24 PM

Huh. That went strangely well.

Sunblaze waits until the Lizardfolk are well on their way, trying to determine where they are headed, before heading towards their hut. He inspects it in case there is anything more dire - such as human remains instead of sheep.

A few rolls if you want/need them:
Investigation: [roll0]

"Tabitha, Jorick and Lyse, that was excellent work! We shall have to instruct Guardsman Bonerock to keep a wary eye in case they return; these three might be hunters or scouts sent from a larger tribe. In any case, I believe this is settled for the moment.

Onward to the forest and Four-Finger Floyd?"

Entelechy
2015-02-20, 01:07 AM
"Yeah, just let me take a look at the camp first. I want try to get a sense of how long term an encampment this was meant to be." Tabitha sets out to join the others in looking through the encampment. "I just hope they don't see this as weakness, and come back with friends. Hate what we'd have to do to them, then," she says as she picks through the remains of their camp.

investigation
[roll0]

Inevitability
2015-02-20, 01:38 AM
Aritian walks around though the camp, not really interested in whatever a bunch of savages may have. Instead, he kneels down and prays.

Praise to Aurilus, Overseer of All Good.

Oh Aurilus, please guide me and protect me against evil. Thank you for allowing us to peacefully deal with those lizardfolk, and thank you for giving Tabitha the insight to do as she did.

The bard stands up, brushes some dirt off his robes, and answers his leader.

"Good. However, if we find him, let's try to solve this, too, peacefully. I think I know a spell that'll prevent violence for a short while, let me try that first before attacking."

niks97cobra
2015-02-20, 02:36 AM
Jorick
Searching through the camp the only useful thing you find is what appears to be a crudely drawn, partially burned, treasure map. It looks like it had blown off the fire.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/niks97cobra/Treasure_Map_by_7M7UF.jpg

Sunblaze
They are headed out towards the coast, eastward. The lizardfolk left very little behind to find.

Tabitha
Thee camp looks less than a week old. The shack was little more than poles with giant palm fronds, branches and reeds.

A raven flies in delevering a note to Brys. The human reads the note. "I must take my leave, my father is sick. My family needs me." Brys, being the quiet one, quickly mounts his horse and disappears.

OOC:
Figured I'd get rid of the character now. I have pmed Dudeons with no response even though he has posted elsewhere on the forums.

cigaw
2015-02-20, 06:08 AM

"Aye, Aritian. The fewer times we must unsheathe our blades the better."

Sunblaze silently waits as the barbarian reads his message and conveys its contents. "I am sorry to hear that, Brys, and shall pray for Vivious' blessings on your father's behalf. I hope we meet again soon; perhaps when we come to Rysin? Go in peace."

Where is Death's Isle? Sunblaze is a Sailor proficient with Navigator's Tools (which he does not have), in case that makes a difference.

niks97cobra
2015-02-20, 06:37 AM
Sunblaze:
I'm gonna need a roll for that knowledge Sunblaze.

cigaw
2015-02-20, 06:51 AM
I am unsure of what exactly I should roll. PHB 154 states that proficiency in Navigator's Tools allows me to "chart a ship's course and follow navigation charts", so I am not sure if that applies to the map we found.

Here's a d20: [roll0]

If it's Intelligence (or any skill under it): +0
If it's a Survival (WIS) check: +2
If Navigator's Tools Proficiency applies: +2
That's all I can think of that may apply.

niks97cobra
2015-02-20, 06:57 AM
Sunblaze
The map is a crude drawing, hardly something a cartographer did for anyone sailing. However, your extensive knowledge of maps, and having studied many of the area's maps, you believe that Death's Isle is an island about twenty miles north of Emerald Isle. Though, you don't recall the island being labeled on any of the maps. It always appeared unimportant, and uninhabited.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-20, 10:19 AM
"Well we have a treasure map. We have to follow it," Jorick points out as he shows off the map eagerly. They should probably finish their current job with the flute first, but... no, this was TREASURE! They couldn't turn that down!

Foodle
2015-02-20, 10:34 PM

"Well, without the map it's not like those lizardfolk are going to be able to find it. We should carry on with our tasks. It'll still be there when we're done, and we can take our time looking for it," she says, "If it's even real," she adds under her breath turning away and heading a few steps off the way they had come.

niks97cobra
2015-02-21, 03:30 AM
The ride back to the village of Silo's Island is as quick as the ride to the investigation. It is still fairly early in the day, only about four in the afternoon. The northwest end of the island where Four Finger Floyd was last seen is about an hour and a half to two hour ride. The ferry to Emerald Bay is about the same distance from the village if you should choose to go there first instead.

Jerrard Bonerock greets as you enter town. The dwarf looks you over, "Well, your one lumberjack short, but you don't look like you've been in a fight. Brys still out searching for the lizardfolk?"

Inevitability
2015-02-21, 03:48 AM
Aritian greets the man back, and replies:

"It seems something has befallen his father. I pray for the man's health."

niks97cobra
2015-02-21, 03:52 AM
"Ahh, so no luck tracking the lizardfolk? You were only gone a few hours," he questions.

cigaw
2015-02-21, 09:10 AM

During the ride back to the Village, Sunblaze addresses his companions about the map. "I am fairly certain that I know where this 'Death Isle' is, however, I agree with Lyse that we have more pressing matters for the moment. If I am correct, it is an unassuming deserted island, and it'll probably stay that way for a while still."

Once back he debriefs Bonerock. "Aye, it is as Aritian says; Brys' family needs him dearly now. We have located and dealt with the Lizardfolk, at least for the moment. They had a small canoe and seem to have paddled in from the eastern coast. I advise you to keep to keep a closer watch for a few weeks in case Lizardfolk return; the ones we found might be hunters or scouts sent from a larger tribe."

Anubis Dread
2015-02-21, 11:47 AM
"Yes, it was hard work dealing with them," Jorick begins. "They may have been small in number, but each one was twice as tall as yourself! What's more they weren't working alone. They were all under the command of a ferocious chimera! Thankfully once we killed the chimera - okay, let's be honest here, I killed the chimera - the lizardfolk fled on back home. They were unable to stand against someone strong enough to take down their leader in a single blow. Both of them, there were two chimera's. There was still only a single blow between them though, even with the lizardfolk three times as big as yourself trying to run interference and protect them."

Entelechy
2015-02-21, 01:07 PM
Tabitha pointedly ignores Jorick's tall tales, and, after a thoughtful moment, makes a suggestion.

"The convict," she said, having forgot his name again, "has been in jail for months, had a cold swim through a muddy river, and now is huddled up somewhere in the forest. Why don't we just get a piglet or a lamb and a keg of ale, and go into the woods without armour and weapons showing. We act like we are just friends carrying on the festival an extra night, roast the lamb or big or whatever over a big fire so the smell carries over the whole forest. That should draw him out. If it doesn't, we pretend to get drunk, and fall asleep, and he'll come to us."

Inevitability
2015-02-22, 03:21 AM
Aritian groans at Jorick's tales, but ignores them. At least, he tries to.

Tabitha's story is far more interesting. He could actually see that working. Then again, the island was big, and the thief could be anywhere.

"Maybe we should split up in two or three smaller groups? Not only is a cowardly and unlawful bandit such as Floyd more likely to strike if less people are present, we can also increase the chance he'll spot us."

Anubis Dread
2015-02-22, 11:08 AM
"Or we could ignore him entirely. He's just a small time bandit, there's little damage he can do. And if we're only interested in the reward it would be better to follow up on the treasure map," Jorick pointed out.

Foodle
2015-02-22, 01:29 PM

Lyse nods agreeing with Jorick, "While i like the idea of roast lamb for dinner, we'll probably attract more than just a rogue thief with the smell. If we're set on finding these flutes instead of dealing with those bandits and goblins, we should hurry to the Inn tonight and hopefully be done with it by morning," she says. "We should be able to sleep in the cart on the way south tomorrow?" she says half questioningly as if she doesn't quite believe that they'd get any decent sleep. "Sunblaze?"

Entelechy
2015-02-23, 02:11 AM
"I don't think we should split up. For all we know, he might be meeting up with a couple other friends. But I gotta admit, if we just warn people to stay safe, stay indoors, and maybe as the militia to keep a patrol, these folks should be safe," Tabitha reasons. "I guess we should carry on..."

cigaw
2015-02-23, 07:39 AM

"I think we are underplaying the threat Floyd represents. He isn't just a pickpocket. The ship he stole is only part of the matter - what worries me most are the ship's crew who went missing when he stole it who never turned up. He was doomed to hang and knows it. He is on the run and probably desperate; the missing crew may mean he is a murderer as well. I'd rather track him down and turn him in as soon as possible. Since we have to turn him in at Emerald Bay, where our next lead for the flutes is, we could kill two birds with one stone, as it were.

As for the map, trust me, I am curious. However, we have more pressing matters at hand - namely goblins, bandits and wolves."

Anubis Dread
2015-02-23, 11:02 AM
Jorick sighed. "Look, this is NOT going to be NEARLY as easy as you think it is. The woods are big, and have plenty of places to hide in. I could probably keep hidden in there for three months without being discovered with twice our number hunting us down. If you want to waste some time that's fine, we can do that. But let's set a time limit. Let's give up if we don't find him by, say, sundown today?"

cigaw
2015-02-23, 11:35 AM

Sunblaze turns to coolly regard his companion, attentively listening to what he has to say before responding. "Jorick, I never suggested it would be easy. This is not my area of expertise and if both you and Lyse say that this is a waste of time or beyond our capabilities, I will abide by your counsel. It is not my intent to waste yours or anybody's time, but to point out that we have a duty to perform. We are Magistrates first and foremost.

Foodle
2015-02-23, 02:52 PM

"I think it's a waste of time until we have a lead or a general area where we could begin tracking him from, wait for him to show himself. Right now all we know is that he was last seen entering the forest," she says pausing and trying to think like he might think. She'd want to divert attention, but after the swim he would have wanted to get dry, there might be a fire. Then having escaped from prison, he was probably hungry and would need to rebuild his strength. He might actually still be there or there might be signs of his foraging, kills or burnt out campfires.

"How big is that forest exactly?" she asks the dwarf. "If he's still there after two days, unless he was being very careful, there should be signs of his presence."

niks97cobra
2015-02-23, 10:39 PM
One thing is for certain, you can travel and discuss which direction to go along the way. The group leaves the village of Silo's Island, heading west along the path. You reach the ferry after almost two hours You can cross on the ferry to the town of Emerald Bay. You can see its port just across the river. The other option is head along the river to the location of the forest, about another two and a half miles.

cigaw
2015-02-24, 07:35 AM
How big is this forest? Foodle raised a good point about how efficiently we'd be able to search it.

niks97cobra
2015-02-24, 07:47 AM
The forest is about a square mile.

Entelechy
2015-02-25, 01:09 AM
"Sunblaze says we search the woods, we search the woods. Its only a square mile. We appointed him our First, and I'm backing him on this call," Tabitha says.

Foodle
2015-02-25, 01:11 AM

"If what Bonerock said was true, we should be able to get there, search it and be in the city in time for a late dinner" the Nightwalker says continuing to walk along the path and past the ferry landing. "If we're lucky, we might be able to afford the good stuff," she says nudging Jorick.

"Come on," she waves the group along after her as she doesn't stop.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-25, 02:09 AM
"So long as my time limit is respected that's fine by me," Jorick shrugs and follows the others.

cigaw
2015-02-25, 07:41 AM

"Very well, then! Let us proceed to the forest at once. Don't worry, Jorick, I have complete confidence in yours and Lyse's tracking abilities", he says with a smile, thankful for being backed up by Tabitha.

Balancing a group's wants and needs is much harder than it would seem, he reflects as the party advances towards their next destination. Vivious willing, I am doing them justice.

niks97cobra
2015-02-25, 09:50 PM
Round 1: Post Rounds
Aritian stops the group, "As the musician of the group, I think I should get to work at the inn. I'll have a full report by the time you reach the inn this evening. Just the thought of the forest unsettles my stomach."

At that, Aritian takes his leave from the group, and boards the ferry across the river. The group continues on to the small forest, traveling through the wheat fields of Silo's Island. Once at the forest, you begin searching for clues to Four Finger Floyd's whereabouts. It doesn't take long for you to locate a game trail. Following it, you come to a clearing that had obviously been used by someone as a camp. A quick look over the camp, shows that whoever was here, must have left in a hurry. The campfire still smolders with warm logs. The bones of a rabbit lay scattered about, picked on by some wild animal. A tent with sleeping bag and pillow was left behind, but has since been collapsed, with claw marks having ripped it to shreds.

Suddenly, there is a loud screech from the woods and two cockatrices come rushing out after you.

Attacks

Cockatrice 1:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Randomly selecting target: [roll2]

Cockatrice 2:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Randomly selecting target: [roll5]

The cockatrices team up, attacking Lyse. One is successful and critically hits her.

Lyse, you must make a DC 11 Con save. On a failed save, you are restrained.

Cockatrices
Hit Points:
C1: 34
C2: 19
AC: 11
Wis: +1
Dex: +1

Characters
1-Sunblaze: AC: 17 HP: 12
2-Lyse: AC: 18 HP: 5/9
3-Jorick: AC: 14 HP: 10
4-Tabitha: AC: 12 HP: 10

Map
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/niks97cobra/Cockatrice%201.png

Entelechy
2015-02-26, 12:33 AM
With a spat curse, Tabitha backpeddles away from the cockatrices. A true Curse leaps to her lips and the hair fine scar running from her fingertip to lip glimmers faintly as she utters syllables not meant to things with tongues and teeth. Lips curling into a snarl, she nearly dislocates her fingers to form an elder sign of Wrath, and a trickle of ancient distruction cracks through the air between her and a cockatrice.

Move: Backing up my walking distance.
Bonus Action: Cast Hex
Action: Cast Eldritch Blast

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

EDIT: So that's 7 force damage, 1 necrotic damage (from hex) to cockatrice 2. Oh.... And I guess I give it a disadvantage on Con tests?

Anubis Dread
2015-02-26, 12:54 AM
Well this was unexpected. This was why Jorick didn't like woods. Far too many natural things around wanting to kill you. Backing off a little, Jorick shot off an arrow at the weaker looking cockatrice.

Shortbow vs C2: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] due to SA
Crit: [roll2]

Foodle
2015-02-26, 02:11 AM

"Aahp," Lyse lets out a small yelp as one of the cockatrice's slam into her, managing to deflect the other one temporarily with her shield, she grips the hilt of her rapier pulling it free and piercing her thumb allowing her blood to drip down the blade.

Save vs Cockatrice Bite (DC11): ; Saved!

Action: Rapier @ Cockatrice 2

Attack: [roll1] | Possible disadvantage on failed save: [roll2]
Damage: Rapier - [roll3] piercing, Poisoned Blood - [roll4] poison
If Crit: [roll5], [roll1d4

Total Damage: 11

Cockatrice 2 needs to make a DC12 Con Save (At disadvantage due to Hex) or continue taking 1d4 poison damage.

Question: While poisoned this way, do they count as having the Poisoned status effect: A poisoned creature has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.

cigaw
2015-02-26, 06:50 AM

Where the blazes did they come from?, the paladin thinks as he unlimbers his greatsword, before shouting "Lyse, fall back behind me!"

Sunblaze advances towards the cockatrices, blade held high. He brings it down hard on the larger foe.

Move:
• Move to K7
Action:
• Greatsword vs C1

• Attack: [roll0] vs 11AC HIT!
• Damage: [roll1]
• On Critical: [roll2]

niks97cobra
2015-02-26, 07:37 AM
Round 2: Post Rounds
The remaining cockatrice continues its assault on Lyse as its mate falls to Sunblaze's attack.

Attack on Lyse
Chance of Crit: [roll2]

Cockatrices
Hit Points:
C1: 24/34
C2: Dead
Dex: +1

Characters
2-Lyse: AC: 18 HP: 5/9

cigaw
2015-02-26, 08:06 AM

"Attack me, foul creature!", the Paladin yells, trying to divert the cockatrice's attention from his companion.

Using the greatsword's momentum to his advantage, Sunblaze brings the blade in a wide arch. However, he overextends himself and the blade slashes the air harmlessly.

Action:
• Greatsword vs C1

• Attack: [roll0] vs 11AC MISS! :smallfrown:

Anubis Dread
2015-02-26, 11:06 AM
"You heard them, attack them!" Jorick adds helpfully as he shoots off another arrow. ...what? Better them than him!

Shortbow: [roll0]

Entelechy
2015-02-26, 11:56 AM
As the first breast falls, Tabitha snarls a syllable to transfer her curse. She circles around to get a clear line to the remaining creature and lets slip another filament of Wrath.

from phone
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Foodle
2015-02-26, 02:09 PM

Easily using her blade to parry the bird-lizards assault, Lyse grins stepping back half a step and stabbing forward with her rapier as the cockatrice dodges sideways to avoid Sunblaze's great chop and impaling it on her point.

Rapier @ Cockatrice 1

Damage: Rapier - [roll1] | Poisoned Blood - [roll2]
If Crit: [roll3], [roll4]

Total Damage: 13

niks97cobra
2015-02-27, 02:25 AM
The second cockatrice crashes to the ground, dead.

Characters
2-Lyse: AC: 18 HP: 7/11

Foodle
2015-02-27, 03:51 AM

Lyse steps forward onto the cockatrice and pulls her blade free, then finds a nearby bush and used the leaves to clean the blade before rinsing it off with some water from her waterskin and slipping it back into his sheath. If the birds claws and beaks could petrify things she didn't want to risk their blood corroding her weapon.

"He can't be long gone," she says walking back over to the campsite as she bends down to examine the firepit and look for the freshest, least disguised set of tracks heading form the camp. Whoever had stayed here lad left in a rush once the cockatrice showed up, hopefully their trails was easy to follow.

Do i know if the cockatrice (or part of) are valuable at all? Since we'll be heading to a city soon :smallwink:
Nature: [roll0]

Looking for tracks or anything that might give us a clue about where he is or could be heading, or that this in fact his camp (prison uniforms? busted manacles?)
Survival: [roll1]; Double proficiency due to favoured terrain
Perception: [roll2]; Double proficiency due to favoured terrain
Investigation: [roll3]

niks97cobra
2015-02-27, 04:56 AM
You can get 5 gp for a whole cockatrice corpse at market in Emerald Bay. There are foot prints heading west, leather boots by the look. You find some busted manacles, a dirty loincloth, most likely what he escaped the dungeons wearing, and a note that says, "watch for the fire"

Foodle
2015-02-27, 05:06 AM

Lyse hands the note to Tabitha unsure what to make of it herself, "This is the place alright," she says lifting the manacles for the others to see.

"Looks like he went this way though, west, further into the forest. Maybe out the far side," she looks expectantly at Sunblaze, waiting for him to make the call.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-27, 10:03 AM
Hm... could any of this corpse petrify their enemies? Or was the power of the cockatrice only active while it was alive? He'd need to work that out. If Jorick could coat his weapons in the creature's blood and petrify them they would have a much easier job.

For now he stuffed the dead animals in his pack. "It sounds like he's trying to signal his friends. He'll be easy to find, but much harder to bring in if he has help," Jorick warned.

cigaw
2015-02-27, 12:17 PM

Once the second beast falls, Sunblaze wipes his sword clean before sheathing it again. He steps up to Lyse once she is done searching and concentrates, laying his hands gently on her injury. A warm light emanates from the wound as the flesh knits itself whole.

"That was fine fighting, Lyse. Good work, all of you", the Paladin says as he regards the campsite and the tracks, picking up the broken manacles. Remembering his youth, he chants a few words and the manacles are whole again. "I believe this'll come in handy some time soon", he adds with a smirk.

"Lead on, Lyse. Our quarry must be close. I am not sure who is going to be signaling, though... If Floyd had the note, I think he is the one who will be waiting for the fire."

Lay on Hands: Lyse heals 4HP. 1/5HP left on pool.
Mending: Cast on manacles.

niks97cobra
2015-02-28, 03:19 AM
Following the tracks is easy enough for the ranger. You come to wear the forest meets the tidal marshes that stand before the river. Floyd must have came through here at high tide because the tracks abruptly end. It is low tide now and the sun is fading into its moon faze.

Foodle
2015-02-28, 05:56 AM

Lyse stares out over the marshes, looking out to where the water was still flowing for any signs of a cannoe or person. Then walks back disappointed from the spot where the tracks vanish, "Out of luck," she says gesturing towards the mud. "He either swam or like Sunblaze guessed, someone in a boat or some kind might have taken him. Either way his trail ends just ahead at the high tide mark."

Looking out at the marsh for the random chance i might spot anything that might be there to see. Or if i can see to the otherside, looking for any spot he might have swam to or boat pulled up onto the shore.

Anubis Dread
2015-02-28, 12:22 PM
It was sun down. If he really had taken a boat there was no way to be sure where he went from there. Of course he could have just walked into the stream to cover his tracks, in which case they could still track their target down. It was sundown however.

"I'm willing to give an extension on that time limit I set, but only if we find their tracks right now," Jorick advised. "If we've lost the trail we should just give up."

niks97cobra
2015-03-01, 03:41 AM
Lyse, you spot what appears to be a canoe pulled up along the far shore where the high tide line was. He has crossed over to the island Turtle Bay is on.

Foodle
2015-03-01, 04:34 AM

Lyse looks to the canoe and then at the mud and rakes her fingers through her hair in frustration. "We're going in circles," she mutters under her breath before turning and pointing out the small boat to the others.

"I don't fancy a trek across the mud, it's likely to be up to our thighs in places," she says looking at her pants and not wanting to get them soaked through with mud that stunk of shellfish and dead crabs. She'd do it if that's what Sunblaze decided, but she'd prefer to cross her fingers and hope the little thief keeps running, right out of their territory.

niks97cobra
2015-03-02, 02:59 AM
Night begins setting in as you search for clues.

Entelechy
2015-03-02, 11:09 PM
"No sense eating stale bread twice. By the time back track and pick up the trail again, the trail will be colder and the flute thief's trail colder still. Better we go to the Inn while we still have some hope of catching him. Let's just give the beach one last look-over before we go." Tabitha says.

Investigation
roll1d20+4

Anubis Dread
2015-03-03, 12:32 AM
"Fine. One more quick look won't make the trail of the flute any colder than we've already made it," Jorick noted wryly as he began sniffing around at the ground.

niks97cobra
2015-03-04, 12:54 AM
Searching around for more clues turns out to be a waste of time. Once the search is over you head out of the forest and back to the ferry. The ferry slowly crosses the bay into the harbor of Emerald Bay. The dock ward of the town is sectioned off by a wooden wall. You pass the through the gates into the town. The guards let you in without having to peace bond your weapons since you are magistrates of the district. The Emerald Inn is close by, you've been by it before. The inn is quite large, being three stories tall. The building its painted emerald green, and large fake emeralds hang in the windows. Entering into the inn, there is a chubby female shifter sitting behind the front desk. To the right of the entrance hall is a dining hall, and to the left a bar area. The smell of delicious foods comes from the dining hall, and loud laughter and music can be heard to the left.

"May I help you gentlemen?" the young woman calls out. "Needing a few rooms?"

Anubis Dread
2015-03-04, 01:24 AM
"Ah yes, indeed we are," Jorick began. "And we're also in need of a little information."

Just explaining about the flutes wouldn't get this innkeeper to open up. They needed something a little more dramatic. Something to give them a little incentive. "We believe a man was here not too long ago, who looked rather like this," Jorick began, showing the drawing they'd made. "We believe this man is none other than Four-Finger Floyd, a man with a huge price on his head. We need information on who he talked to, what he did, and where he might be now. There's a huge reward on his head - I'm sure we could part with a little if we managed to track him down."

Deception: [roll0]

niks97cobra
2015-03-04, 01:46 AM
She looks at the sketch for a moment. "That's not the sketch I got a couple of days ago from the town guards," she says, pointing to the wall where there are several wanted posters. One of the posters is a drawing of Four Finger Floyd.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-04, 10:30 AM
"That's what he WANTS you to think," Jorrick replies in a conspiring tone, pointing at his head to indicate the delicate mind games in play. "Either way this man Four Fingered or no is responsible for their fair share of crimes, and we need some assistance tracking them down."

Persuasion: [roll0]

Foodle
2015-03-04, 02:07 PM

"As outrageous as the story might be, he is in fact telling the truth," Lyse says sliding onto a stool and flashing her official magistrate signet ring to the woman. "Do you have anything to eat? i'm starving."

Help Action! Advantage Go!

niks97cobra
2015-03-04, 10:51 PM
"Look, I don't know what you magistrates are up to, but that guy in the picture is not Floyd and that guy in that picture left with a magistrate a few hours ago. If you want food, heading to the dining area," the hotel clerk says exasperated, obviously not entertained by the groups antics.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-04, 10:53 PM
He what? They could come back and investigate the room and inn later if they had to, but if they left already they had to catch him!

"What did this magistrate look like?" Jorick asked inquisitively. "Did they say where they were heading?"

niks97cobra
2015-03-04, 11:03 PM
"He was one of them strange folk, aasimar from the north. He was tall and blonde. They didn't say anything to me," she states.

Foodle
2015-03-04, 11:24 PM

"Aritian," Lyse says slapping her hand onto the bar. "Why would he go off alone with him without even leaving us a note?"

Anubis Dread
2015-03-05, 12:06 AM
"It's obvious isn't? The two are in cahoots. We have a traitor," Jorick cursed. You could never trust someone not to stab you in the back.

Entelechy
2015-03-05, 12:41 AM
Tabitha clears her throat, loudly.

"Jorrick, you've got your wanted posters confused again. Lyse, pay attention, Four-Finger Floyd is a different case." she says, taking back her drawing from Jorick (how did he get his hands on it, anyway?). She gives the inn-keeper a long suffering smile of good help is so hard to find. "Sorry friend. We're Emerald's Magistrates, out of Turtle Bay. We will be staying the night, and we'll need four rooms and stabling for our animals. Now. Four-Fingers, there is a twenty gold bounty for whoever does the hard work of dragging him in. But This fella..."

She holds up the poster again, "There's a ten gold reward just for information that leads to his capture, no hard work required. We know he was staying here the night of the festival. If you can tell us anything that might help us... who you saw him with, who he might of talked to, even just giving us a chance to look over his room. If any of that leads to his capture, its an easy ten gold reward. But more than the reward, well, this man needs to be caught." She takes her aside a bit and lowers her voice shooting a cautionary glance at Jorrick, "For the sake of women like us, he needs to be caught. He's been taking advantage of.... really is there anything else you can remember?"

I am hoping that that justifies an advantage (or perhaps an inspiration I can use to get an advantage). Persuasion.
[roll0]
advantage? [roll1]

niks97cobra
2015-03-05, 12:51 AM
"He has been here since the festival, yes. I rarely saw him, honestly, I try to mind my own in this business." She reaches up and grabs a handful of keys. "You four will be on the third floor, rooms 3-6."

She sets a fifth key down. "Your man is staying in room twelve on the second floor."

Foodle
2015-03-05, 03:26 PM

Lyse gives Jorick a doubtful look. "Aritian? No, he was a stick in the mud. He wouldn't connive to rob anyone, even if she probably deserved to be robbed...," she says getting to her feet. "Maybe he used some of his magic on him and is just going to retrieve the flutes? We should probably check the room quickly, have something to eat and wait him out," she says scrapping up the keys and handing them out

Anubis Dread
2015-03-05, 03:37 PM
"If that's what you believe and you want us to do then by all means, fearless leader," Jorick scowls. He didn't like this one bit. But he didn't get to being an at least somewhat respected figure by trusting his own judgement.

Foodle
2015-03-05, 04:26 PM

Lyse scowls at the shifter, "Hey! If the room's empty, and all his things are gone, then we'll know something fishy is going on. Until then, i'd like to try have some faith in Aritian," she says crossing her arms and looking put out before remembering she still had the key to this mystery man's room and relaxing somewhat, passes the key to Tabitha.

niks97cobra
2015-03-05, 04:47 PM
Heading up to the room finds a bit of a mess. It looks as if whoever was staying here packed up in a rush. A few minor things are left around that if you had time to pack, you probably would have made sure to get such as a pocket watch and a book titled, "How to Win the Crowd."

Foodle
2015-03-06, 01:06 AM

Lyse kicks the nightstand across the floor in anger. "I don't believe this!" she says falling to sit on the edge of the bed. "What sort of creature betrays their own? If this actually is as it appears, he's in for a world of hurt when we get our hands on him," she promises punching the mattress to enforce her point.

Taking a deep breath and picking up the book and flicking through the pages quickly for any notes left tucked away, she then looks around the room for anything they might have missed on first glance.

Looking to SUnblaze and Tabitha she asks, "What's the plan Sunblaze? Tabitha? The guards at the gates or the ferry might have seen them if they left. Aritian kind of sticks out. We all do."

Looking in any cupboards or chests, drawers, under the mattress/bed for anything that might give us a clue on where they might have headed to next.

Entelechy
2015-03-07, 12:29 PM
"If we don't catch them, we lose our credibility as magistrates. If they went out on foot, we will need horses. Sublaze, can you go rent or requisition us horses? With spares to rotate if you can. They only have a couple hours on us. I don't think we are sleeping tonight. Anyone object?" Tabitha says as she begins her own investigation of the room for clues.

1d20+4

niks97cobra
2015-03-07, 04:39 PM
Sunblaze looks to Tabitha, though he is the leader, is a soldier, not so much a crime scene investigator. "I will get down to the stables and prepare us horses. Find out which way they went and meet me there."

Lyse
Flipping through the book turns up nothing until you look inside the front cover. 'From the Library of Falik Hael' is written in elvish script.

Falik Hael
Falik is the Lord Mayor of Port Emerald, the town on Emerald Isle. He is also son of the Lord High Priest of Silvyrus, Voxado Hael.

Tabitha
You find a common dagger in the drawer. The person staying here must have put it next to the bed in case someone broke in at night and forgot it here. However, this is no common dagger to the Sun Coast. Both tieflings will recognize it as a blade forged in Val-Norn, a tiefling warlord slave city, that is set deep in the Infernal Lands. This blade has traveled far.

OOC
Since Sunblaze is still oot on business, this will take the character away while still being useful. Once the group is ready to hit the road, Sunblaze will have fresh horses and the wagon ready to go.

Also note, exhaustion checks will begin at the end of this hour.

Foodle
2015-03-08, 04:18 AM

"What in the hell's is going on here?!" she exclaims, snapping the book shut and thrusting it towards Tabitha for her to examine. "Inside cover, it's in elvish, but apparently the book is from the Mayor's house."

She moves across the room to the window and pushes it open, looking out into the night, up and down the street, and taking a few deep breaths of the night air and her mind works trying to put together what was going on. They were chasing after some drunken, rich ladies flutes. Aritian had apparently betrayed them and whoever this mystery theif person was, he either had robbed a few other people or had connections with some rather influential people. People that paid the rest of theirs pay sheets. If Aritian hadn't been involved she'd be encouraging Sunblaze and Tabitha to just up and leave this crazy errand and go hunt down the bandits and goblins, that was a much simpler task. This was just making her head hurt.

Just on the off chance there's something to spot out the window in her casual look

Entelechy
2015-03-09, 01:03 AM
"If we can run them down tonight, we can ask them. Now we split up, each take a gate and interrogate the guards. Make sure we got the right road. We meet back here as quickly as possible." Tabitha drums her fingers on the hilt of the dagger as she speaks. She is not normally one for nervous fiddlings. Her idle fingers can do too much devastation if used idlely.

niks97cobra
2015-03-09, 02:49 AM
If we are splitting up, there is the north gate, west gate and the docks at the south, so each of you will have to make a roll for the gate you are going to.

Foodle
2015-03-09, 04:21 AM

Lyse nods in agreement, "I'll head to the north gate," she says striding from the room and meeting Sunblaze outside to collect a horse before racing off through town.

Pulling up the horse short of the gate before the guards got the wrong idea and filled her with arrows, she slides from the saddle and quickly marches over to the gate house to question the man. "Evening," she says flashing her teeth in what she hoped he took for a friendly smile, she wasn't good at this, but she hoped the man would remember them from the festival. Holding up her hand and the magistrate ring anyway just to make sure she quickly questions him.

"Have you seen another magistrate pass through this way? He should have been with another man and while he wont know it, he might be in danger! Aritian is his name if you recall him from the festival, strange looking. An Aasimar."

Hopefully the guy will just be helpful and tell me, being a law abiding guard and all.
But...

And in case he tries to lie/hide something
Insight: [roll1]

Anubis Dread
2015-03-09, 10:10 AM
Jorick knew that the docks would be the hardest option. After all those going out the North gate were heading North, while those going out the West gate were going West. Unless they were smart enough to double back, which it didn't seem to Jorick that they were. With the docks however they could head any direction the water went. Which though not all that many was more one one. If they took the docks they might not be able to reliably find them.

And so Jorick went to the docks himself, questions anyone he came across as to their fugitive and their traitor.

niks97cobra
2015-03-10, 02:42 AM
Lyse:
"I'm sorry my lady, I know the magistrate you speak of," the guard, a younger human, says. "I remember working breaking up a fight outside the jousting tournament with the aasimar during the festival. This gate is rarely used by anyone. Most people leaving town taking a ferry unless they are heading to West Field*."

*West Field is the village to the west of Emerald Bay. The village is mostly surrounded by wheat, barley and corn fields.

Jorick:
The docks are beginning to close down by this time of night. Approaching the dock gates, the same guards who checked you in a short while earlier, sees you approaching. "Back so soon magistrate?"

Upon being asked about spoting Aritian and the man in the drawing the guard responds, "The aasimar entered through these gates from the ferry a few hours ago, haven't seen him since." He and the other guard apologize for not being of more help.

Foodle
2015-03-10, 03:21 AM

Lyse sighs, her shoulders slumping at the lack of news. With so few people using the north gate, they would have been easy to track. Still the others might have had better luck, or he might still be in the city. She quickly thanks the guard and climbing back onto her mount heads back to the inn at a slightly slower pace.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-10, 10:27 AM
That left two options. The first was the West Gate as how they'd left, but at least one of his allies would be checking that out already. The other option was the group was still in town. Or they'd received faulty information, but if they had then they were doomed anyway. Might as well assume all the things they'd been told were accurate for now.

They were due to gather at the inn once they'd gotten the information, but Jorick was used to taking shortcuts in a city like this. He could afford some time to question some random passerbys and hawkers of wares if they'd seen anything on his way back.

Entelechy
2015-03-10, 04:44 PM
Tabitha hurried to the west gate in search of their quarry.

Investigation
[roll0]

niks97cobra
2015-03-10, 10:55 PM
Jorick
You find nothing else out except a few of the dock workers remember seeing the man in the drawing in the town during the festival, but nothing on their current whereabouts.

Tabitha
Questioning the guards at the west gate, they tell you, "The pair passed through a couple of hours ago. They were riding pretty hard towards West Field."

Entelechy
2015-03-11, 01:53 AM
Tabitha quickly thanks the guard and hurries back to the inn to report to the others. On the way, she seeks out Sunblaze. At the Inn, once all are gathered, she brings everyone up to speed via telepathy, to prevent eavesdropping.

They left by the West Gate towards West Ford, and they were mounted. I say we ride like the devil's behind us to catch them. Sunblaze, did you get spares so we can rotate mounts? That might the only advantage we have over them.

niks97cobra
2015-03-12, 12:31 AM
Sunblaze assures that the mounts he has acquired are healthy and ready for riding.

However... you are not. Continuing on, an exhaustion check is needed.

Sunblaze's check:
[roll0] vs DC 11

Foodle
2015-03-12, 04:10 AM

Galloping out of town with the other's, Lyse can feel the combined effects of the festival and their travels today taking their toll on her. Slapping her cheeks she tries to wake herself up and keep an eye out for any signs that someone moving at pace might have recently left the road.

Exhaustion Roll: [roll0]

Looking for any tracks from something recent, moving quickly, that break from the main path leading to West Ford
Survival: [roll1]

Anubis Dread
2015-03-12, 09:33 AM
They should have just let them escape. It would be better than having to chase after them like this. Jorick grumbled to himself in his saddle as he pushed his mount.

Con Save: [roll0]

niks97cobra
2015-03-12, 03:26 PM
Riding like the wind on the trail west, you easily reach West Field. The whole way there, there are farms on either side of the road. Being as dark as it is, you see no one out and about. The small village is walled by a ten foot wooden wall. The gate is closed this late at night. A sentry sits atop the wall. "Sorry, no entry after night fall," he calls down to you from the watch tower.

Entelechy
2015-03-12, 06:20 PM
"Emerald Magistrates in pursuit of dangerous fugitives. Have a pair of riders, one of them Aasimar, arrived this evening?" Tabitha calls up.

[roll0]

niks97cobra
2015-03-14, 05:14 AM
"Nah, no one fittin' that description," the guard calls out. "You boys want in this late? Ain't no inn in town. Guess you could sleep in the stables, tavern's probably still open."

He quiets for a moment awaiting for an answer, but just as you go to speak, "Oh wait, I did hear Ole Siccamore sayin' somethin' bout almost bein' run over by a couple riders. He was ridin' in from the Bay, a couple hours ago."

Exhaustion
Continuing on from here will require a con DC 12 check for exhaustion.

Jorick is at level 1 of exhaustion.

Foodle
2015-03-14, 02:39 PM

"Must be them," Lyse says to the others stifling a yawn. It was good to know that Aritian would be dealing with the same lack of sleep as they were too. Hopefully they'd find them soon and get this mess cleaned up quick. A pile of hay in the stables was sounding pretty damn good all of a sudden.

Exhaustion Save: [roll0]

Anubis Dread
2015-03-14, 07:54 PM
Were they really still... damn it. He did not sign up for this pushing himself stuff...

Save: [roll0]

Entelechy
2015-03-14, 10:07 PM
"Sleep can come later. Please, where can we find Ole Siccamore?" Tabitha asks. She was pushing them hard, but a simple arithmetic was at work. They might get tired, yes, but Aritian would suffer just as much. They would always outnumber them, and chances are the duo would give up and make camp soon. Their all night pursuit was undoubtedly outside of conventional reason, and unexpected.

[roll0]

niks97cobra
2015-03-15, 03:39 AM
"Well, he is at his house I would assume," the guard says as he swings open the gate to let you in. "It up ahead. Take a left at the butchers, second house on the right."

Exhaustion
Lyse: Level 1
Tabitha: Level 1
Sunblaze: N/A
Jorick Level 1

Rolls:
Jorick, you were at level 1, which means you have disadvantage.
[roll0]
Sunblaze
[roll1]

Foodle
2015-03-15, 04:49 AM

Lyse clenches her jaw to stop from yawning and rides through, into the town and follows the guards directions. They needed to find these two quickly, she was already dreading tomorrow and the pain her muscles would cause her, having been forced to sit in a saddle for the better part of a day.

niks97cobra
2015-03-16, 02:01 AM
Following the directions of the guard, you easily find Ole Siccamore's home. It is a small home, probably not much more than a few rooms. Candle lights dance behind the curtains of the two windows that face the road.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-16, 09:42 AM
Jorick frowned in thought. He was too tired. There was no way he could reliably sneak up on the house without making a bunch of noise. Their best bet was to just charge right in and hope they were stunned enough they didn't just run out the back.

"Let's charge in," Jorick suggested.

Entelechy
2015-03-16, 12:46 PM
"Unless I'm missing something, this is just a old man that our quarry almost rode over. Do you know differently, Jorick?" Tabitha asked.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-16, 01:08 PM
"No, but I'm tired, hungry, and wanting this conversation to take less than a minute. Charging in and prying the answer from the witness seems to best align with that goal," Jorick replied dryly.

Entelechy
2015-03-16, 01:18 PM
"Anyone who wants to can take break and a snack, or a catnap. I'm going in to ask politely. Actually, Sunblaze, can you swing around and cover the back door. You never know." Tabitha says. Once Sunblaze is in place, she goes up on knocks on the front door.

"Emerald Magistrates. We're looking to apprehend the the riders who almost ran you down, and have a few questions." Tabitha calls.

niks97cobra
2015-03-16, 08:25 PM
Sunblaze nods, moving around to the back of the house, not very quietly either.

Ole Siccamore quickly opens the door, "I hear you out here, making all this racket."

An older human, probably in his sixties, stands at the door. Though old, he still stands straight and tall, about six feet in height. He holds his sword, still in its scabbard, in his hand. "Those riders criminals? Damn, bastards nearly caused one of my horses to go crazy. They better be glad we were on the return trip, if they had caused my hay to fall of any of my wagons, I woulda made them bastards pick the **** up. They turned south before the village though, headed down one of the trails. They must be real bad folk to bring ya'll out this way, and after dark too."

Map
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/niks97cobra/Torinthia%20125%20N.R..png

Foodle
2015-03-16, 09:12 PM

Not here... Lyse sighs hearing the man's words and walks back over to her mount and leans her head on her arm, closing her eyes for a second as she prepares to mount. Realising her eyes had been shut for about 15sec, she blinks strongly and hauls herself up to the saddle once more before splashing some water from her waterskin over her face and back of the neck in an attempt to wake herself. "I'm good for another hour or so," she informs Tabitha.

Entelechy
2015-03-16, 10:51 PM
"They're bad, all right. Sorry to disturb you." Tabitha says hurriedly, the slippage of time not a friend.

They turned south, we missed their trail. I'm worried they are leading up towards where Four-Fingers crossed over. I like the four against three or more a lot less than four against two. Should we call it a night to avoid walking into an ambush in the dark? Otherhand, if they are meeting up, there will likely be a fire, making them easier to spot at night. What do you all think? Tabitha sends out telepathically and she rejoins the others, and recalls Sunblaze.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-16, 11:13 PM
"...let's just give up, sleep, then go treasure hunting with that map in the morning," Jorick sighed, slumping against his horse. "He's beat us. He had time to sleep before rushing off, they have a huge head start, and eventually we're going to hit a dead end. Just let the traitor cut and run."

niks97cobra
2015-03-16, 11:20 PM
"Both options have their pros and cons. I will concede to your intelligence in this decision, Tabitha," Sunblaze adds.

Foodle
2015-03-18, 04:37 PM

"I'll be able to find their tracks in the morning. We've come the wrong way, so they're further ahead of us now, which means we need to backtrack. So more time..." she says clenching her fist, she didn't want to lose another mark like she had with the one that had brought her over the mountains, but she wasn't confident she'd be able to function much longer, it'd been a long long day. "If they've stopped for the night we might catch them, but if they rode hard to the river and are drifting down stream on board a boat we're just going to exhaust ourselves for nothing. It's a gamble either way. Flip a coin?" she suggests.

niks97cobra
2015-03-18, 10:56 PM
Sunblaze flips a coin. and shows it to the group. "Rest it is. We can pick up the trail in the morning."

The 8th of the Month of Change, 125 N.R.
You spend the night either in a spare stable, or you can set up a tent on the stable grounds. The tavern was still open, so a hot meal was available if you so desired.

You awake to a typical morning on the Sun Coast. A nice breeze blows in from the coast, cooling down the hot morning. Today is a day of close, so the market, smiths, bakeries and other shops are mostly closed, having worked very hard for the festival, it is those professionals turn to take a break. The tavern is already bustling with the locals coming for a nice hot breakfast bacon, potatoes and bread. The stable boy has your mounts fed and harnessed, whenever you are ready to set out on your day.

[roll0]
Heads: 1, continue
Tails: 2, rest

Anubis Dread
2015-03-20, 03:15 PM
"Alright," Jorick began as they ate. "Are we still going on this fool's errand, or are we giving up? It's not my call, but you should know my opinion on it already."

Foodle
2015-03-20, 10:48 PM

"I'd feel bad if we just gave up. Not to mention that Aritian knows the ins and outs of how we operate AND that we have those other matters on the other side of the district that need dealing with. If they decide to stick around this area he know's we wont be around to stop them. We either need to chase them and run them off, or manage to catch them or it'll be like having a stalking predator at your back ready to strike the moment you turn your attention elsewhere," Lyse gives her opinion.

Foodle
2015-03-22, 03:04 AM

Riding her horse slowly along the road, Lyse looks carefully at the ground around the spot the old man had said he's seen them break away from the road. They might still be able to catch them before they crossed the river... or sailed down it... or went up stream. Damn water and it's lack of ability to hold tracks! She just hoped they weren't too late getting started this morning.

niks97cobra
2015-03-22, 03:48 PM
The ranger leads the way out of West Field towards where Ole Siccamore and told them the riders headed south. Though it took some searching, the trail the riders took is eventually found. Following the trail, the two riders rode south for about two miles before heading to a small farm house. You can see it in the distance, about a hundred yards off the main trail. The farm house is surrounded by wheat fields. West Field being out of your usual jurisdiction, you don't know who lives here in this farm house.

cigaw
2015-03-23, 12:47 PM

"It would seem our quarry headed for the farmhouse. We don't know for sure if Aritian has betrayed us; I for one acknowledge the possibility of him having been coerced or charmed by magic, and as such I want him alive even if he attacks us. If his actions are his own, he will pay.", the paladin says, his voice low and icy.

"They may still be here, or they may have moved on already. Anyone see movement or horses?"

Keeping eyes and ears peeled for signs of activity or lack thereof.

Foodle
2015-03-23, 01:29 PM

"Should i circle around back? The wheat should give us plenty of cover to move unseen and if they're there and we let them escape into it, it'll be just as bad," she asks prepared to leave her horse with Sunblaze and circle around to the back of the house on foot using the wheat as cover.

Checking for chimney smoke or other signs of life around the house from the road.

If she ends up circling around back.
Stealth: [roll2]

niks97cobra
2015-03-24, 02:55 AM
Sunblaze
There is no sign of activity. There is a large barn close to the farm house. The barn doors are closed, there could be horses in there. You notice the farm is a bit desolate for this time of the morning. By now, most farmers well into their chores.

Lyse
There is smoke coming from the chimney, indicating a light fire burning.
-Also, let me know for sure if you are circling around back.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-24, 09:40 AM
Well they had pushed pretty hard... this could be the end of it. They could just be hunkering down inside the farmhouse. Somehow Jorick doubted it, but he also knew enough about himself to know he was a pessimist and couldn't really be trusted to work out the most likely scenario in a given situation.

Deciding to just go for it, Jorick snuck around the back.

Stealth: [roll0]

Entelechy
2015-03-24, 07:36 PM
"Should we just knock on the front door, then?" Tabitha asks.

perception: [roll0]

Foodle
2015-03-24, 08:14 PM

"It might save us from taking a crossbow bolt in the chest if it's not them and Jorick and me are seen by an angry farmer," Lyse says slipping down from her horse and heading into the wheat in the opposite direction to Jorick.

niks97cobra
2015-03-25, 02:59 AM
Round 1: Post Rounds
Jorick disappears in the field around to the back of the house, even the group loses track of him.

Despite Lyse's best efforts he doesn't go unnoticed sneaking around. The barn door swings open as Lyse gets passed it on the far side. A pack of wolves come pouring out of the barn. A cloaked figure rides out on a horse behind them.

Tabitha and Sunblaze are one hundred feet to the south of the map.

Lyse, you get a bonus action*.

I figure it makes since you'd get to react while the wolves are still running at you. It would take the other characters a bit longer to react to your situation.

Wolves

AC: 13
1: 6
2: 5
3: 14
4: 10
5: 11
6: 8
Dex: +2

Cloaked Rider
Rider:
HP: 30
Dex: +0
Wis: +0

Horse
AC: 10
HP: 22
Wis: 0
Dex: 0

Characters
2-Lyse: AC: 18 HP: 11

Map
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/niks97cobra/Farm%20house.png

Foodle
2015-03-25, 03:42 AM

"Nox's teeth!" LYse curses her eyes going wide as she quickly searches for someplace defensible. The wolves were between Sunblaze, Tabitha and her. She knew Jorick was circling around form the other side, he was her only chance. Quickly drawing her blade and pricking her finger, she starts sprinting at the wolves screaming in an attempt to startle the animals. She slides to a stop and lashes out with her rapier at the lead wolf, then takes off northwards trying to find Jorick and put her back against something.

Bonus

Move: G20 -> H14

Rapier @ Wolf 1
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (Poison: DC 12 vs Con)
If Crit: [roll3]

Round 1

Move: H14 -> C11 (provoking an AoO if Wolf 1 is still alive)

Ready Action: Rapier @ First thing to come around the corner
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] + [roll6] (Poison: DC 12 vs Con)
If Crit: [roll7]

Also Lyse should have 11/11hp, i messed up her HP on her sheet originally.

cigaw
2015-03-25, 07:25 AM

"Lyse! Hold fast!", the paladin shouts, not wanting to give away Jorick's presence. He quickly mounts his horse and spurs it toward the fray, drawing his longsword as he gallops forward.

1: We are dismounted and the horses are close by, since Tabitha and I stayed behind.
2: Two-handed weapons cannot be used while mounted (I found no ruling on this).
3: According to PHB 198, under Mounted Combat, it is unclear what sort of action it takes to control a mount. I'm assuming it is not an Action, as that would mean you can't move your mount and attack.

Move:
• Mount horse: costs 15' of Sunblaze's movement to mount
Mount's Move:
• Move 60' North
Mount's Action:
• Dash: Move however much is needed out of extra 60' to reach N10
Free Action:
• Try to ID the Cloaked Rider. Ignore the following attack if it is Aritian and instead Ready an Action to attack an enemy that comes into range.
Action:
• Longsword vs CR

• Attack: [roll0] vs 11AC HIT!

Entelechy
2015-03-25, 10:07 AM
Tabitha swings back onto her horse, and urges it forwards to close the gap between herself the and rider. As soon as she gets close, her fingers again contort into the twisted sign of wraith, hexing not the rider, but his horse.

"Get the horse!" she shouts, then snarls a syllable unfit for lips and teeth and tongue of flesh.

Advance to within 90' of rider, cast hex on horse, cast Eldritch Blast on horse.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
HIT! 14 damage total.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-25, 10:14 AM
No plan survived first contact with the enemy. Jorick grimaced. He had two options at this stage. The first was to swing around the side of the house and start shooting wolves. The problem with that is if there was anyone in the house trying to use this chance to escape then they'd lose out on their primary mission. The second option was to break into the house and see if there was anyone inside. The problem with that is he'd be leaving the others to deal with the actual threats.

Making a snap decision, Jorick went over to the nearest window and began jimmying it open before crawling into the house.

Thieve's Tools (if necessary): [roll0]
Stealth: [roll1]

niks97cobra
2015-03-25, 04:33 PM
Round 2: Post Rounds
The cloaked rider high tails it away to the west. You can't tell who the rider is. The rider fires their crossbow at Sunblaze as it rides off. The wolves tear after Lyse, swarming around her. The ranger is no match for the pack of wolves as she collapses on the ground, a bloody mess.

Jorick, you find yourself in a typical bedroom. There is no one in the room, and the door is shut.

Attacks
Rider
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

W2
Attack: [roll3]
Advantage: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Crit: [roll6]

W3
Attack: [roll7]
Advantage: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]
Crit: [roll10]

W4
Attack: [roll11]
Advantage: [roll12]
Damage: [roll13]
Crit: [roll14]

W5 (+2 ac for cover)
Attack: [roll15]
Advantage: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
Crit: [roll18]

Wow, those wolves. Even without the advantage from pack tactics they still would have killed Lyse out right.

Wolves

1: 6

Cloaked Rider
Rider:

Horse
HP: 8

Characters
1-Sunblaze: AC: 17 HP: 3/12
2-Lyse: AC: 18 HP: -24/11

Map:
The cloaked rider is about 75 feet west of the house.
Tabitha is 50 feet south of the map.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/niks97cobra/farm2.png

Entelechy
2015-03-25, 08:11 PM
Tabitha hesitated for a moment as the wolves chased Lyse around the building, but she said on target, Lyse was a master of the woods. If anyone could handle a pack of wolves it would be her. She spurred her horse after the rider and snarled out another burst of Eldridge energy.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

cigaw
2015-03-25, 08:19 PM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 03/12 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

The barn obscures Sunblaze's view of Lyse and the brave ranger's demise. Believing that she and Jorick will be able to handle themselves, he spurs his horse and takes flight after the cloaked figure.

As he gallops, he lays his hand over his chest, using what little healing power he has to close the wound. He would still need to properly remove the bolt - lodged dangerously close to his heart, but it would do for now.

"Surrender to the Emerald Bay Magistrates and face Justice, scoundrel!", Sunblaze shouts as he draws near the fugitive.

Mount's Move:
• Move 60' after CR
Mount's Action:
• Dash: Move however much is needed out of extra 60' to reach CR. With 120' I should be able to reach him in melee range (and screwing up his attacks with that horrible, damaging crossbow) without taking an OA.
Action:
• Lay on Hands (Self): Heal 5HP, currently at 8HP.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-25, 10:56 PM
Okay... he didn't see the battlefield, but that had NOT sounded good. He needed to get inside asap, if only to get away from whatever was causing all that snarling.

Creeping into the home, Jorick closed the window after him before searching for any sign of their targets, shifting into his jackal form to better sense the environment.

Perception: [roll1], [roll2]

niks97cobra
2015-03-26, 01:07 AM
Round 3: Post Rounds
The cloaked rider switches from his crossbow to a longsword. The wolves turn their attention to the horse chase, and give chase behind them. Hearing the wolves trailing him, the rider spins around to meet Sunblaze in combat. You can see the riders face, it is not Aritian. It is a middle aged human that you don't recognize. The wolves will meet the horse race next round.

Jorick
Searching the room reveals nothing except a note that says, "Treasure Town."

Cloaked Rider's Attack

A: [roll0]
D: [roll1]
C: [roll2]

Wolves

1: Dead

Cloaked Rider
Rider:

Horse
HP: 8

Characters
1-Sunblaze: AC: 17 HP: 3/12

cigaw
2015-03-26, 08:52 AM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 08/12 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

Sunblaze hears the howling pack approaching, but pays it no heed yet. This man is a more pressing matter and must be dealt with now. Hopefully the others will be able to keep the animals busy until then.

Gritting his teeth, the paladin raises his sword and brings it down on his enemy's horse, slaying it.

I couldn't find anything related to Higher Ground, if that even exists anymore, on the rules. Here's to hoping the wolves and the Cloaked Guy will either attack my horsie or have Disadvantage when attacking a mounted opponent (namely Sunblaze). :smallsmile:

Current HP:
• Niks, I think you forgot to update my HP after my Lay on Hands Action last round. Currently at 8HP.
Action: Longsword vs CR's Horse

• Attack: [roll0] vs 10AC HIT! CRIT!
• On Crit:[roll2]
• Total Damage: 13

Anubis Dread
2015-03-26, 09:03 AM
Huh. So either their target had left a note for someone else to follow them to Treasure Town, or someone else had left a note for their target for them to go there. For now Jorick just pocketed the note. It looked like there wasn't anyone else here. Well, only one thing to do at this point.

Heading up as high up in the house as he could, Jorick popped open another window before scrambling onto the roof. He couldn't really get a good shot from the window, but on the roof he'd be able to take shots off at whatever it was they were fighting with impunity.

Athletics (if necessary): [roll1]

Entelechy
2015-03-26, 01:36 PM
The pack of wolves, only one missing, could only mean one thing. Tabitha's eyes widen, and she starts looking for a survival strategy. She rides past Sunblaze and the cloaked rider, butting them between herself and the wolves. As the rider's horse dies, she hops the hex from the horse to a wolf.

Then she lashes out a snarled burst or energy again at the hexed lead wolf.

Attacking the wolf with 5HP

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

niks97cobra
2015-03-27, 02:35 AM
Round 4: Post Rounds
The horse comes crashing down from underneath the cloaked rider. The wolves close in and begin attacking Sunblaze's horse, which fights for its life, and eventually looses that fight. The cloaked figure turns his attention to Tabitha and charges her.

Jorick you climb on to the roof. The range from here to the fight is 100 feet.

Horse vs Wolves
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Wolves

W2 vs Horse
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

W3 vs Horse
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

W4 vs Horse
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

W5 vs Horse, Horse Dies
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]

W6 vs Sunblaze
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]

Rider vs Tabitha
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]

Wolves

2: 2

Cloaked Rider
Rider:

Horse
Dead

Characters
1-Sunblaze: AC: 17 HP: 1/12
4-Tabitha: AC: 12 HP: 6

Entelechy
2015-03-27, 12:44 PM
Tabitha whirls her horse around and makes a break for the house. She's hurting, and Sunblaze is almost then. Then it would just be her and the rider and the wolves.

Get ready... get on! Tabitha sends to Sunblaze as she leads over and extends an arm to hoist him up with her.

She spurs the horse to a gallop towards the house. Hopefully Jorick can get a door open. If not, there's always a window...

Anubis Dread
2015-03-27, 01:10 PM
Finally! He could see what was actually... erg. That red mess was... concerning. And now his companions were running back to... oh. He should get the door open.

Cursing, Jorick shot off an arrow at the nearest wolf before ducking back in through the window and rushing downstairs to get the door open.

Damage: [roll1] with SA (still Hidden until firing)

cigaw
2015-03-27, 02:01 PM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 01/12 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

How could so much go wrong so quickly? How could he have misjudged the situation so badly?

Still reeling from having his desperate mount surrounded and brought down by the wolf pack, he quickly tried to reassess his surroundings. One of the wolves clamped his jaws on his exposed thigh, but the paladin was able to break free long enough to see Tabitha turning her mount around. Escape. We must escape now, he thought, trying to focus through the haze of pain and fear.

The house seemed to be the best option. As Tabitha galloped toward him, he swung his sword in a wide arc to drive the wolves back just enough to be able to grab her hand.

niks97cobra
2015-03-28, 03:56 AM
Round 5: Post Rounds

Sunblaze is able to be pulled on to the back of Tabitha's horse. The wolves snap and claw at the horses legs. The horse tramples through and hurls itself with great speed towards the house. Jorick takes out one of the wolves that are now hot on the horse's heels. The cloaked figure runs off away from the house after taking a shot with his crossbow. The shot brings down the horse, dead, sending its riders sprawling.

The wolves will reach you in round 6. You are about fifty feet from the house.

Wolves

2: Dead

Cloaked Rider
Rider:

Horse
Dead

Characters
1-Sunblaze: AC: 17 HP: 1/12
4-Tabitha: AC: 12 HP: 6

niks97cobra
2015-03-28, 04:08 AM
Forgot the cloaked man's crossbow shot at horse
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Entelechy
2015-03-28, 11:00 AM
Tabitha tumbled into a roll, and sprinted for the door Jorick opened.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-28, 11:02 AM
"Move move move!" Jorick waved the others in as he held the door open, ready to slam it shut as soon as the others were through. "Grab the tables and whatever else to barricade the door!"

cigaw
2015-03-28, 01:14 PM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 01/12 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

Sunblaze picks himself up as the horse falls, pain shooting through his legs and chest. Making sure Tabitha is up and running, he flat-out sprints for the open door.

Picking up a table, he sets it in front of the door to barricade it. "We need something for the windows as well! Is there a back-door? Is it closed?", he says, looking for other heavy objects.

Move:
• 30' toward door.
Action:
• Dash: 30' toward door.

niks97cobra
2015-03-28, 03:47 PM
You make it just in time to the door as the wolves collide into as the door slams shut in front of them. You can hear them scratching and clawing at the door.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-28, 03:52 PM
"Hold the door!" Jorick exclaims before rushing back to the roof. He was the only one who was any good at range. He needed to be the one to kill these things. Drawing an arrow, Jorick shot down at the wolves below.

niks97cobra
2015-03-29, 04:06 AM
Jorick's shot misses as the door shuts. The wolves scratch at the door and jump at the windows. The wolves quiet down as they begin searching for a way into the house, sniffing around. It is then that the group hears something in the back room. Opening the door to the bedroom, you see a human tied to a chair, struggling to get free.

Foodle
2015-03-29, 04:25 AM
Reece Davies, Human Cleric - 10/10hp | 18 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=135422)

The sound of snarls outside the window finally woke him. The back of his head was throbbing, each pulse making him wonder if his skull was split. He let out a groan that comes out as a muffled "Mmmph" and he realised there was a gag in his mouth too. Whoever the man he'd followed here had been, his allies were careful, and Reece not careful enough.

A death scream from outside pierced the air and snapped his eyes open. He was seated in a room, bound, gagged and tied to tied to a chair. He needed to get out of here, he needed to find that man. He couldn't wait around to be killed like whoever was outside. Struggling at his bonds he tries to break free and fails, it's then that he hears what must be his captors enter the house form somewhere else, having finished murdering whoever was outside.

Continuing to struggle, he ends up rocking backwards and tipping over onto his side. It's then that the door opens into the room and he sees from the ground, two strange people standing there; a horned lady and a Arcannis.

"Mmmfrph mmrph," he tries yelling at them, his eyes angry.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-29, 09:21 AM
This was safe. He could just shoot them from up here and they couldn't get in the house. This was the ideal. Jorick notched another arrow and kept shooting. Hopefully they'd get scared off before they worked out how to get into a window.

cigaw
2015-03-29, 07:33 PM

As he staggers towards the back of the house to make sure the wolves cannot find another entrance, Sunblaze's shuffling is cut short by the sight of a bound and gagged man. The bloodied Paladin gazes intently at the man, summoning his divine connection to Vivious and looks into the captive's soul. A few seconds pass and he is satisfied that the man is nothing more sinister than a human. "Tabitha, make sure the wolves cannot come in through a back door," he says as he drops to one knee beside the bound man.

The warrior knows they are in a dire predicament and, in desperation, decides to take a risk. Praying to Vivious that this won't be a snap decision he'll come to regret in the future, Sunblaze removes the man's gag and cuts his bonds.

"I am sorry I cannot offer you any healing, as I have none to give. We are surrounded and beset by wolves and worse and, if you want to leave here with your life, you'll have to fight for it. You have my oath I will you no harm. How do you stand?" The Paladin says his piece hurriedly, his face creased by worry and pain. There would be time for pleasantries later - if they lived through it.

• Divine Sense (Action, 60ft, 1+CHA mod/long rest): detect and identify celestial, fiend or undead creatures (total cover negates). Detect place or object that was consecrated or desecrated (Hallow spell).

Foodle
2015-03-30, 01:48 AM
Reece Davies, Human Cleric - 10/10hp | 18 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=135422)

Wolves? That explained the snarling. Something made him think these men weren't the ones that captured him, when the Arcannis bent down to look at him, Reece held his gaze, also trying to take his measure, though without any divine help. The man was hurt, he could see as much by the pained look on his face. And judging by the way he was acting, he figured he was about to be helped.

"The cloaked man and his contacts, what have you done with them?" he asks urgently as the gag was pulled free and he twisted in his prone position, trying to makes the bindings tying his wrists easier to access.

Once free Reece stands and rubs at his wrists and looks out the window. The same farm house, good. He must not have been out for very long if they hadn't moved him... or killed him off. "My kit should be around here somewhere. Can't imagine it being any use to them. If we can find that i might be able to patch you up right quick. You look like you've been trampled by a horse, friend, and it's the least i can do for getting me out of this mess."

Looking around the house for his gear

niks97cobra
2015-03-30, 02:12 AM
Reece easily finds his gear. The wolves quickly retreat, realizing that their master has fled and that they are being fired upon by Jorick.

As they retreat, Jorick can get off a second shot.

Stats
The wolves' stats stay the same except W3 is down to 9 hp. Jorick can take one more shot before they have high tailed away.

Anubis Dread
2015-03-30, 02:34 AM
Jorick does so. He needed to make sure they didn't come back after all.

cigaw
2015-03-30, 07:23 AM

Sunblaze hears the sound of the wolves' retreat and breathes a long sigh of relief. "The cloaked man attacked us as we searched for our companion, an Aasimar named Aritian. The wolves proved too much for us to handle", he states matter-of-factly. "By the sounds of it, he has fled with the remains of his pack. We saw no other contacts, though we still have to investigate the barn."

"I am Sunblaze of Hallowind, leader of this group of Emerald District Magistrates, hailing from Turtle Bay. My companions are Jorick, Tabitha and...", the Paladin pauses and looks around. A shadow crosses his eyes.

"Where is Lyse?"

Foodle
2015-03-30, 03:20 PM

His pack secure on his back and the rest of his possessions had been found. Slipping his arm through the straps, he polishes the boss of a padonthia fruit on his shield with his sleeve. Not paying attention to the others as they go about doing whatever it was that they were doing, too busy plotting out how he was going to find the cloaked man now that he was gone. He only had enough food for a couple more days, and the further he traveled in land the hard it would be for him to find food, knowing only how to fish.

He catches part of what Sunblaze was saying. "Aasimar? There was three of them here at least. Didn't see no Aasimar though. Some fella answered the door for the cloaked guy, been following him inland for a most of a day and night. But then i got jumped before i could get closer to the house. Might have been your Aasimar that got me?" he suggests with a shrug.

He pauses for a second in thought and chuckles before introducing himself. "Reece, Reece Davies. Though i aint used that name in awhile, most folk just call me Keeper. Now sit still and i'll fix ya up some," he says moving towards Sunblaze and presenting his shield, and the symbol of his god on it, to him. Closing his eyes he asks for Silvyrus' aid and reaches out to touch the Arcannis.

Casting Cure Wounds on Sunblaze: [roll0]hp healed.
1 of 2 spells remaining.

Entelechy
2015-03-30, 11:14 PM
"Lyse? The wolves chased her around the barn, but I only lost sight of them for a few seconds before they were back. Either she made it into the barn loft, or... she didn't." Tabitha says. She gives the rescued man a look over, but says nothing to him. "Well, Sunblaze, what do you think. Jorick and Lyse' horses might still be alive out there. We need to check on Lyse, and we need to decide whether we can chase him that man. At least he's on foot now. How are you feeling?"

cigaw
2015-03-31, 06:56 AM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 11/12 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

The man's healing washes over Sunblaze, knitting flesh and restoring his vigor. The Paladin flexes his muscles and where throbbing pain was moments before, he felt little more than a dull ache. "Thank you, Healer," he addresses Reece with the old honorific the Arcanni use for clerics. "May Vivious' Light repay your actions and Silvyrus' Faith always flourish."

The healing refreshes him, but Tabatha's words worry him. He fears the worst has happened. "Jorick!", he calls up the stairs. "Mark well the direction they fled!"

Turning to Tabatha, he adds "You are right. If you and Jorick are ready to finish what we started we must be off; we can ride two to a horse. Let us investigate the barn and what became of Lyse. If she has fallen," he pauses, the words turning sour in his mouth, "we'll secure her body and later give her the proper burial she deserves.

"This is not your fight or your duty, Healer," he addresses Reece. "However, you are welcome to come if you wish to assist us and pursue the man who captured you."

I'm assuming a Paladin would know enough about the gods to at least identify Silvyrus' Holy Symbol.

Concerning Lyse's body:
• If we decide to pursue the Cloaked Rider: Sunblaze will spend a few moments saying a short prayer to Vivious, carry her body inside for safety and wipe her face clean.
• If we decide against pursuing the Cloaked Rider: We'll rest up and I'll want to give Lyse a proper burial, unless it's just a Short Rest.

Some rolls for the Barn, if needed:
Perception:[roll0]
Investigation:[roll1]
Survival:[roll2]

Anubis Dread
2015-03-31, 11:38 AM
Looks like he'd managed to scare off the wolves. Sighing in relief, Jorick ducked back into the house. That could have gone worst. He'd made the right call heading into the house. He hadn't gotten hurt at all and the group was still alive. Mostly. But the important thing was that he was okay.

"I hope you mean because you want to run as fast as possible in the other direction," Jorick called back as he walked down the stairs to join the others. "Chasing those guys after all that is suicide. I suggest we just cut our losses and run. Or we could head to Treasure Town based on this lead I found," he relents, handing over the paper. "It'd probably be safer. I doubt he can keep a bunch of wolves in a town."

Oh hey, they untied the guy. "Jorick, nice to meet you. Sorry about running past you all those times, I was kind of busy," he apologizes.

Foodle
2015-03-31, 03:30 PM

"And here i thought you must have been the one to knock me over the head," Reece says dipping his head in apology/greeting.

"I plan to be after the cloaked man as soon as i get some food into me," he says rummaging through his pack, "The wolves wont always be there, they need to eat too and if you killed his horse like you say, any food he had for 'em is lost. And i'd be glad for the help."

"Though your other friend might be lost. Heard snarling and a scream out that there window when i woke," he says cringing and pointing to the window in question with a half-eaten travel cake.

niks97cobra
2015-03-31, 10:10 PM
Outside the window indicated by Reece is Lyse's badly mangled body. She is barely recognizable.

Characters
1-Sunblaze: AC: 17 HP: 11/12
2-Reece: AC: 18 HP 10
4-Tabitha: AC: 12 HP: 6/10

Sunblaze
You have reached level 2. Roll for HP. Reroll any result of 1 or 2.

Entelechy
2015-03-31, 10:36 PM
Tabitha lets out along sigh at the sight of Lyse's body. She is silent for just under a minute.

"That's that, then." she knocked her hands as if they were dusty. A grim look marks her face. "I don't see how we can turn back now. We lost two of our own: one to betrayal and one to our own overconfidence. We might as well retire if we've lost our nerve to go on. I can bring in her body. I'm not squeamish. I better get our signet off her, too. Wouldn't want anyone misusing it. Keep me covered, Jorick."

Tabitha loots a blanket from the house, and carries it out to Lyse. She looks down at the body for a moment.

Right, poison blood, she sends. She pulls on her leather gloves and carefully rolls Lyse's body onto the blanket, and drags her inside.

cigaw
2015-04-01, 07:57 AM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 17/18 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

Sunblaze turns to face Jorick, bringing his entire stature to bear, his face barely controlled but his temper still held in check. "You must be jesting, Jorick," he says in disbelief before continuing. "Lyse lies mangled and broken, we still don't know where Aritian is and you wish to leave those who killed our companion unpunished and free to roam?" Sunblaze steps forth, coming to but a few feet from the Shifter, his face softens, but his eyes are still set with determination. He lays a hand on Jorik's shoulder. "Understand this, Jorick. You are my fellow and my friend. You have my trust and my strength beside you for as long as you will have it. If you where captured, I'd brave the ends of Creation to find you. If you where killed I'd chase those responsible to Nox's doorstep itself to mete out justice.

Lyse was also my friend."

Sunblaze then steps outside, and the sight of Lyse's lifeless body hits the Paladin like a lead weight. However mangled the corpse was it was the horrible feeling of guilt that brought his shoulders and his spirit down. I sent her around, therefore, I sent her to her death.

He lets out a long sigh and bends down to help Tabatha move the body inside. Uncovering her face, he wipes it clean with a rag and stands over it, firmly grasping Vivious' Holy Symbol in his hand.

"Vivious, Lady of Life and Light of Growth, watch over our sister Lyse Antarran, whose life-light has been extinguished. Because of her sacrifice we live, and thus through Death she has given Life; Death unto Life as it has been since time immemorial. Guide her journey unto Eternal Rest."

And grant me strength to avenge her, he adds to himself. As he turns, he feels Vivious' presence, just as he did when he was first anointed as a Holy Knight. He feels her grace suffuse him and his understanding of Life expand. Vivious has answered his prayers.

Anubis Dread
2015-04-01, 10:29 AM
Jorick felt shame rising within him. Were his comrades right? Was he being callous, and a coward? Well yes. That wasn't the real question. The real question was even if he was being callous and a coward was going on the right thing to do? It was the brave thing to do. The kind thing to do. But it was it the RIGHT thing to do?

No. It wasn't. But abandoning his friends wasn't an option. The reason he didn't want to go on was because if they did it was likely they would die. It was a trend - the more they pursued this lead, the more they got hurt and killed. If a fire kept burning you whenever you put you hand in the reaction to have was to not put your hand in there. Not to shove it in and wave it around until the fire went out.

Jorick silently watches the prayer before speaking. "This is a bad idea," he told them. "When you lose everything in a game of chance, you don't double down because you're already in too deep. You cut your losses and leave before you lose anything else. If this fight was any indication whoever we're going up against is too strong for us to get them. We're all going to die if we keep chasing this. That said, if you all insist I'll still come with you. Because I'm an idiot, and I liked Lyse too," the shifter sighed. "I just figured I'd give you one more chance to back down before we all die."

Foodle
2015-04-01, 03:14 PM

Reece finishes eating as he watches the group pay their respects to their dead friend. "Death comes for us all at some point, at least you know she's gone and not coming back," he says absently before trailing off and walking to a window near the front door and looking out in thought. If he had anything else to say, it seemed he had forgotten what it was.

Following the trail of their flight, he see's the dead horse and wonders if he should explain that the cloaked rider this group of lawmen were chasing probably wasn't their turncoat. Reece had spotted him coming into the bay and had followed him ashore as best he could. Unless he got careless and ended up following the wrong man. Bloody well hope not! He thinks tightening his grip on his flail. Unless he had the wrong man, there was no way he could be the same person these folk were after.

He turns back to look at them and give them a look of pained empathy for their loss, but in the end decides he'd be better off with them along tracking down the cloaked rider. "When you're done, I'll be outside checking 'is horse for anything," he says instead.

niks97cobra
2015-04-01, 06:07 PM
Searching the horse turns up nothing of value. The cloaked figure must have grabbed his supplies before running off. It also appears that the wolves headed in the same direction after the figure.

Tabitha
You level to level 2. Roll for hp, reroll any 1 or 2.

Entelechy
2015-04-01, 10:28 PM
Tabitha grits her teeth and jerks into motion as soon as the prayer ends. Turning her face away from the others, she goes outside to clean her gloves of any of the poisonous blood that still clings to them.

She returns for a moment, but without looking Jorick or Sunblaze in the eye quickly leaves.

"I'm going to search the barn. This whole place. See if I can figure out what happened." She said tersely, and left quickly again.

Investigation of the barn and house
[roll0]

cigaw
2015-04-02, 06:34 AM
Sunblaze, Arcannis Paladin - 17/18 HP | 17 AC (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=87424)

The paladin covers Lyse's face once more. He steps outside and follows Tabitha into the barn; this was a time where safety lay in sticking together and they had no idea what, if anything, was in the barn.

He does keep to himself, though, giving the tieflling the space and silence she seems to need.

Survival: [roll2]

Anubis Dread
2015-04-02, 08:52 AM
Sighing, Jorick got to work searching the place as well. He figured he had the only real clue with that piece of paper, but it couldn't hurt to look around a bit.

Foodle
2015-04-02, 03:07 PM

Reece's heavy footsteps come up behind you all while you search the barn. "Horse was picked clean an' it looks like the wolves followed after him too. Must be a trained bunch or he's got some sort of magical hold over them. Either way they're gone, headed off that way," he says pointing off into the distance and looking impatient to be off.

"What's so important about the barn? We don't want to give him time to find a hidey-hole to squirrel down into."

niks97cobra
2015-04-02, 03:12 PM
Searching the barn turns up nothing. The stables are empty and all the remains are the bones of animals fed to the wolves. Basic farm tools and some basic dressage for horses can be found.

cigaw
2015-04-02, 08:38 PM

His brows furrowed, he turns to answer the priest. "Apparently nothing is important about the barn; but we couldn't know that until we looked.

"Very well then, let us mount up and move out. Our quarry is at hand and he must not escape."

Anubis Dread
2015-04-03, 01:13 PM
Jorick sighed. He was a jackal, sure, but he was pretty sure that didn't earn him any special place in the underworld once he croaked it.

"Sure. Let's head to treasure town. We can't fight this guy with all the wolves around, and we have a hint on where he's going to end up. It's probably better to head right on over to the destination than risk wasting time trying to track them."

cigaw
2015-04-06, 07:40 AM

Sunblaze pauses momentarily as he mounts the horse, thinking it over how to best handle Jorick. He liked the shifter, but seemed unable to get through to him. He's a survivalist, that's for sure, but will he ever see that there are things worth fighting for? Even dying for? Vivious, grant me wisdom to help him, he prayed silently.

"Keep your eyes and ears open. We fill find this man and deal with him now. Let's pick up his trail", he simply states once everyone is mounted.

Perception:[roll0]
Investigation:[roll1]
Survival:[roll2]
Wow. Some great rolls here. :smallyuk:

Anubis Dread
2015-04-06, 01:11 PM
Jorick muttered to himself as he sunk low to the earth and sniffed. He might be able to pick up the trail like this. He regretted shifting earlier, as they didn't have time for him to regain his strength. Ah well, it couldn't be helped.