PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dungeon Puzzles

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-02-10, 05:58 PM
...in a Tomb.

A bit of backstory: I'm currently designing a dungeon for a group of 4th level Dungeons and Dragons characters. The basic premise is that a group of priests heading to an abandoned tomb/shrine to bless it were ambushed by Gnolls and goblins on the orders of the BBEG (not important who). They held up in the tomb, and were attacked by Ghouls and a Ghast or two. When the players arrive to save the priests, they will have to brave the tomb/mausoleum, the ghouls and gnolls battling within its halls, a lost spirit perhaps, and a few traps/puzzles the occupants missed.

My problem is, I know very little beyond this and I am terrible at puzzles. I had the idea to use a riddle (gollum's "Time" riddle from the Hobbit seems appropriate, or something else macabre) but I am unsure of why a fairly public mausoleum would have such defenses. Or, indeed, what shapes the traps should take, and why the Ghouls and Gnolls haven't set them off yet. At best there are some areas that require more brain power to enter than a typical Gnoll, but I'm stumped.

Anyone have an idea? The tomb was meant to be sort of a communal one, with many local heroes and distinguished people resting there. The area has been abandoned for a few centuries, so the tomb has fallen into something of a state of disrepair, though when in operation it was a staffed mausoleum, where the public could go to view the remains of their honored dead.

tl;dr - Need cool ideas for a Mausoleum/Tomb Adventure involving puzzles, gnolls, ghouls, and such.

Beta Centauri
2015-02-10, 06:22 PM
Why force it? If you don't think it would have such puzzles, don't include them.

In terms of motivations, the gnolls were hired to bully the priests into pulling out a particular relic for them. The ghouls, who have been slowly making their way through the bones and other remains are fearful of their food supply being disrupted, preferring their food to be "aged" rather than fresh.

The priests are in trouble, because the relic wasn't were they thought it was, or they don't dare let the gnolls have it and have been stalling. If the PCs can figure out where the relic is, they can either permanently seal it away from the gnolls, or remove it and keep it away.

So, have the location of the relic depend on a few particular words that have multiple meanings. Nothing comes to mind right now, but look up common homonyms and homophones.

Finally, enlist your players for help. What do they think would be interesting, plausible puzzles? Why do they think ghouls and gnolls would be at odds.

Kaun
2015-02-10, 06:31 PM
Best tip i have for a GM re riddles. Don't have a set answer, if the players come up with a good answer that works just go with it.

Players feel good for having being clever enough to solve the riddle, game progresses, fun is had.

Beta Centauri
2015-02-10, 06:33 PM
Best tip i have for a GM re riddles. Don't have a set answer, if the players come up with a good answer that works just go with it.

Players feel good for having being clever enough to solve the riddle, game progresses, fun is had. Hear, hear!

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-02-10, 06:43 PM
I'm not looking to laugh at the players' inability to solve a puzzle though. I don't like dungeons being 100% combat, so something is needed to break up the monotony of killing monsters. How would low level clerics protect a tomb of their faith from interlopers? Or, how would a fantasy mortuary hide its service passages?

Beta Centauri
2015-02-10, 06:48 PM
I'm not looking to laugh at the players' inability to solve a puzzle though. I don't like dungeons being 100% combat, so something is needed to break up the monotony of killing monsters. How would low level clerics protect a tomb of their faith from interlopers? Or, how would a fantasy mortuary hide its service passages? There's more to adventure than just fighting and puzzles. And there's more to puzzles than mini-games for the players.

Mortuary? Some of the spirits tied to the place dislike the violence and, while they can't stop it directly, are causing a ruckus, such that no one can get anything done. To save the priests, stop the monsters, and secure the artifact, something must be done to placate those spirits. Talking to them directly, studying their tomb for information about them and their beliefs or otherwise finding ways to either placate them or even get their assistance would be a definite way to break things up. I recommend not making that entirely separate from the rest of the events in the game. Imagine trying to placate a spirit with ghouls breathing down your neck.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-02-10, 07:07 PM
Mortuary? Some of the spirits tied to the place dislike the violence and, while they can't stop it directly, are causing a ruckus, such that no one can get anything done. To save the priests, stop the monsters, and secure the artifact, something must be done to placate those spirits. Talking to them directly, studying their tomb for information about them and their beliefs or otherwise finding ways to either placate them or even get their assistance would be a definite way to break things up. I recommend not making that entirely separate from the rest of the events in the game. Imagine trying to placate a spirit with ghouls breathing down your neck.

I like this, a lot. Hmm. Perhaps there is a placating ritual? Like, the walls have glyphs depicting the ritual, and performing it will calm the spirits?

Beta Centauri
2015-02-10, 07:29 PM
I like this, a lot. Hmm. Perhaps there is a placating ritual? Like, the walls have glyphs depicting the ritual, and performing it will calm the spirits? Yeah, or some shrine or something needs to be repaired, or some other task performed.