PDA

View Full Version : An idea for epic spells

slachance6
2015-02-10, 06:28 PM
5e doesn't have true epic levels, but I still wanted a way for there to be spells higher than 9th level. Let me know what you think of what I came up with.

Epic Boon: Boon of Epic Casting- You learn two epic spells of your choice, and can cast them using both one 9th level slot and one 7th level slot. You may take this boon more than once.

I also came up with a few spells, and feel free to submit your own.

Diminish
Epic Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
You send negative energy coursing through a creature of your choice. That creature must make a Con save, and Legendary Resistance cannot be used. On a failure, the creature loses all uses of Legendary Resistance. On a success, the creature loses one use.

Greater Power Word Kill
Epic Enchantment
Range: 100 feet
You compel a creature of your choice to die. That creature must make a Con save, and if it fails, it dies; otherwise the spell has no effect.

Mass Transformation
Epic Transmutation
Components: V, S
Duration: Permanent You attempt to transform all creatures within an 80-foot cube. Each creature must make a Con save, turning into a CR 0 creature of your choice on a failure. Any creature with a CR of 16 or more automatically succeeds the saving throw.

Major Creation
Epic Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 200 feet
Duration: Permanent
You create any number of nonliving, non magical items within a 100-foot cube. The items must be of vegetable or mineral nature, and cannot be adamantine, gemstone or mithral. The creation could be as simple as a boulder or as complex as a castle.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-10, 07:56 PM
Greater Power Word Kill is somewhat weaker than Power Word Kill. Power Word Kill doesn't offer a save, just an HP limit.

Safety Sword
2015-02-10, 09:01 PM
Greater Power Word Kill
Epic Enchantment
The target creature dies. Yes, even then. No, you don't get a saving throw. I don't care how many hit points you "had".

Better?

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-10, 09:04 PM
Greater Power Word Kill
Epic Enchantment
The target creature dies. Yes, even then. No, you don't get a saving throw. I don't care how many hit points you "had".

Better?

Compared to 3.5 epic spells that's pretty tame.

Nail to the sky was fun as hell.

JNAProductions
2015-02-10, 09:24 PM
Restrict
Epic Conjuration(?)
Casting Time: One Action
You bind a creature of your choice in hampering magic. That creature must make a Con save, and Legendary Resistance cannot be used. On a failure, the creature loses all uses of Legendary Actions until it makes a Con save. On a success, the creature loses one use until it makes a Con save. Saves are made at the start of the caster's turn.

I like the anti-Legendary spell, so I made one of my own.

xyianth
2015-02-10, 11:41 PM
I like this idea, and made my own epic spell as well:

No
Epic Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction
Range: 120 feet
Choose one effect that is about to happen. It doesn't. The caster can choose to replace the effect with any effect from the Wild Magic table if desired.

Why I like it:

This is essentially Epic Counterspell, just not limited to spells.
Imagine this scene:

You and your party enter the chamber of the big bad, right in the middle of its dark ritual to summon an elder evil and end the world.
As you enter, the big bad starts its monologue and then, BAM!, the ritual completes.
A swirling portal opens as the chamber fills with eerie sound and light effects and a mist begins to twist into shape.
You utter a single syllable, the syllable found at the root of all magic, twisting its inflection to distort its original purpose.
The swirling mist shifts and stutters, then begins to take a particular shape.
Your party members grin openly, having seen this all too familiar scene before.
The big bad is utterly confused as the mist compresses down into... a potted plant. Its lackeys and minions begin to question their support for their leader and its cause.
Your party crashes upon the confused masses like a tsunami, laying all to waste. All throughout the chaos, vicious taunts can be heard ridiculing the evil potted plant and its followers.
Victorious, your party returns to town ready to share the epic tale with the local tavern patrons of yet another glorious conquest by the adventuring troupe known as The Gardeners.

Would this ever get used?

I think I would reserve a 7th and 9th level slot for this spell nearly every day.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-10, 11:46 PM
Well this turned into Calvin Ball real quick.

JNAProductions
2015-02-10, 11:50 PM
Legendary Shapechange
Epic Transmutation
Range: Self
Duration: Concentration, up to one hour
When this spell is cast, follow the effects of the Shapechange spell. However, you can change forms as a bonus action or as a Legendary Action. While this spell lasts, the caster has one Legendary Action.

xyianth
2015-02-11, 12:00 AM
Well this turned into Calvin Ball real quick.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Its only usable via epic casting, and even then it burns a 7th level slot and a 9th level slot, for a 1-off effect. I fail to see how this would even be that ridiculous given that those same slots could be used for a simulacrum and wish spell. Spellcasters bend/break reality regularly as it is, epic spellcasting will likely do it better. You can always remove the wild magic effect replacement if you want to have a more serious game, but even with that effect, it doesn't have to be humorous in use. You could for example interrupt a spellcaster's meteor swarm spell and change it into the self fireball effect. This would easily be described as the spell exploding in the spellcaster's face, and as an epic version of counterspell, the spellcaster should not get a defense against having his/her non-epic spell countered. I just personally like using humor in my examples.

JNAProductions
2015-02-11, 12:07 AM
Part the Weave
Epic MagicL
Components: None
Duration: Concentration, up to one hour
You modify the very weave of magic around you for your own gain. Magic in the area flows towards you and empowers your spells, making all spells cast while parting the weave be treated as one spell level higher. (This can raise spells to level 10.) In addition, any spells you cast that allow a save impose disadvantage on that save.

The weave is affected in a 60' area around you. Anyone who tries to cast a spell in the area without you desiring it must make an opposed check (proficiency+spellcasting ability) to successfully cast the spell. The spell slot is still expended on a failure. However, due to the effects of drawing magic in from around you, all spells targeted against you have advantage on attack rolls or grant you disadvantage on your saving throws.

When this spell ends, suffer one level of exhaustion per ten minutes of the spell. This exhaustion can be removed by expending spell slots totaling 5 levels per level of exhaustion during a short rest or by expending (not preparing) 2 levels of spells per level of exhaustion during a long rest.

Why yes, this spell will kill you if you last the whole duration. What's wrong with that?

jkat718
2015-02-11, 02:34 AM
Why yes, this spell will kill you if you last the whole duration. What's wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing. In fact, I really like that idea. Especially because my players always "lose track" of duration... :smallamused:

JNAProductions
2015-02-11, 07:31 AM
Ambuscade
Epic Transmutation
Duration: 5 rounds
You enter into your own shadow, losing all thought for the speed and strength of darkness. While this spell lasts, you cannot concentrate on or cast spells. You gain a +4 to both attack and damage with weapons, and can take two actions and two bonus actions per turn, as well as being able to take one reaction per turn rather than round. (E.g. if you are fighting X and Y, you get one reaction on X's turn, then another on Y's turn.) Unused reactions are wasted. In addition, double your proficiency bonus on stealth. This doubling does stack with other multipliers.

During this time, you are surrounded by magical darkness to a range of 30' that does not affect you. Lastly, as a bonus action you can teleport to any place that is dimly lit or dark within 100', or in an area of bright light that is directly behind an enemy if you succeed on a stealth check as opposed by their perception check.

You must attack during this spell. If you do not make progress towards attacking an enemy in a turn, the spell ends early. You cannot willingly end this spell early.

Special: This ability is only available to Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights. To use it, it takes spell slots totalling 20 levels from the highest levels available.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-11, 08:25 AM
Is that necessarily a bad thing? Its only usable via epic casting, and even then it burns a 7th level slot and a 9th level slot, for a 1-off effect. I fail to see how this would even be that ridiculous given that those same slots could be used for a simulacrum and wish spell. Spellcasters bend/break reality regularly as it is, epic spellcasting will likely do it better. You can always remove the wild magic effect replacement if you want to have a more serious game, but even with that effect, it doesn't have to be humorous in use. You could for example interrupt a spellcaster's meteor swarm spell and change it into the self fireball effect. This would easily be described as the spell exploding in the spellcaster's face, and as an epic version of counterspell, the spellcaster should not get a defense against having his/her non-epic spell countered. I just personally like using humor in my examples.

Its a bad thing because epic levels are made with the idea of being playable. However a lot of these seem to be going back to the idea of rocket tag and initiative tells you who causes the apocalypse first.

Meh.

Why play D&D at all then? Just sit down and say what you want to do and have the DM hand wave it to happen. Essentially Calvin Ball.

I love high and powerful casters but this isn't that.

Also just because magic bends/breaks our reality doesn't mean it is bending or breaking the reality of the game itself. Actually, the inclusion of magic means that reality allows that sort of thing and nothing is actually being broken or bent at all. This is why we could have high level martials that do amazing things, because within a fantasy setting the rules are what you make of it... Nothing is being bent or broken, except our own concept of our reality.

Balor777
2015-02-11, 09:23 AM
Glacial mountain
Epic Evocation
Casting Time: 1 minute.
Range: 500ft
Components: Somatic,Verbal,a piece of magicaly created ice.
Duration: Instant
You create a collosar mountain of ice at a point you see at the sky.You target a point inside range that the Glacial mountain lands.
All creatures building inside a 100ft diameter circle suffer 20d10+80 damage.Creatures that succed a reflex saving throw suffer half damage.
All creatures affected are burried becoming restrained and suffocate if they need to breathe.Someone not affected from the glacier can try to break
the ice to help allies to escape.Every cubic ft of the glacier has 10 hp.

Wicked Corruption
Epic Transmutation/necromancy
Range: 50ft
Components: Somatic,Verbal, one black diamond with value at least 5000gp
Duration: concentration up to 10 rounds

Up to 15 magical objects inside at 300ft cone turn into black magical lava.Each piece of magical equipment is magicaly tied to the wearer
and burning the part of the body its attacked too.Every piece deals to the wearer 3d6 fire and 3d6 necrotic damage per round.
Affected items can be pulled off the victims body with a DC 15 strength check.Equipment consisting of many parts like armor consist
and deal damaeg as 3 pieces and have to be removed one at a time, taking the normal duration need to remove armor.Any creature
touching magical equipent or help the victim to remove the corrupted equipment suffers the damage too.The victim also cannot teleport out
the parts affected by this spell.If the victim dies or the duration of this spell ends the magical items stop dealing damage and regain their
magical abilities back after 3 rounds.

Water to Acid

Epic Transmutation
Range: 500ft
Components: Somatic,Verbal, one piece of infernal creature you witnessed its deat, or killed.
Duration: concentration up to 6 rounds

The targeted creatures(described below) or 500 cubic foot of standing water is tranformed into magical acid.
Creatures inside an acid lake or river succed a swim check with dissadvantage to stay on the surface and take 20d6 damage per round.
If they fail the swimming check by 5 or more they sink for the duration of the round and suffer extra 30 damage.
If you target creature, all water inside its body is turned into acid for the duration of the spell and suffers 5 times its constitution modiffier as damage every round,
or half for a succesful fortutude saving throw.While under this effect every creature has dissadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws.
Creatures that are not considered to have fluids are imune to this effect.
If you target creatures you can affect:
15 medium or smaller sized creatures
6 large or huge sized creatures
2 Gargantuan or Colossal sized creatures.

Planar cubics

Epic Transmutation
Casting Time: 8 hours
Range: self
Components: Somatic,Verbal, one purple ,one green,one blue sahpires with a value of 2000 gp each
Duration: Until destroyed or for 1 week.

You create 3 arcane cubics.They are magical creatures with 80HP 20AC, 12 inteligence and have size of 1 cubic inch.They are immune to magical
damage from spells.The caster can choose another person to be the master of the cubics.
These cubics float 1 feat above your head as long as you are consious.If the master sleeps or is unconsisous theeach cubic vanishes temporarely
back to one of the astral planes it belongs too.If you close your eyes or become blinded the cubics grants you 10ft blindsight each.
Cubics see through your eyes and if you cannot see an enemy they dont see him too.
Each cubic has chances to attack the targets you attack with a weapon or a damaging spell and after your offensive action occured.
At each attack or damaging spell you cast roll three d6 dies.On each roll you have 5 or 6 as result each cubic attached to the die attacks.If you cast
a spell that has area of effect the cubics will attack the targets closer to the censter of the spell first.Each time you miss with a weapon attack or
a target takes no damage from a succesful saving throw cubics miss too.
The green cubic when hits affects the target with a poison that deals 5d8 damage per round for 3 rounds.
The blue cubic when hits makes the enemy loose the control of his body affecting the nerves. For 3 rounds the victim has disadvantage on all STR/DEX ability checks and saving throws, attack rolls, and also looses any dexterity bonus to AC.
The purple cubic on hit deals 5d6 necrotic damage and heals the master for the amount of damage dealt.
Every opponent that tries to touch the cubics takes 3d10 force damage.If master allows too tho there is not damage suffered.If the cubics are removed for more than 1000ft of the caster they vanish permanently and you need to create new.

Fwiffo86
2015-02-11, 09:35 AM
How do you create spells that are supposed to be more powerful than Wish? (traditionally [pre 3.x] speaking, the most powerful mortal magic available to characters) More importantly, taking Wish's side effects into consideration, what would be the side effect of channeling and casting spells that are supposed to be more powerful than wish?

Balor777
2015-02-11, 09:36 AM
How do you create spells that are supposed to be more powerful than Wish? (traditionally [pre 3.x] speaking, the most powerful mortal magic available to characters) More importantly, taking Wish's side effects into consideration, what would be the side effect of channeling and casting spells that are supposed to be more powerful than wish?

10th level spells :) Maybe once per week is ok.

jkat718
2015-02-11, 12:50 PM
10th level spells :) Maybe once per week is ok.

I think it should have some sort of risk, like Fwiffo said. Maybe a CON save on casting, or take a level of Exhaustion, and the spell fails?

hawklost
2015-02-11, 01:32 PM
Merlin's Travel Bag
Epic Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 40 ft radius
Components: V, S, One simple bag that can be sealed
Duration: Permanent

All objects that are not nailed down or being worn slowly shrink down and travel into the bag. The bag weighs no more than it did empty and all items in it are safe from harm while inside the bag. At any time in the future the caster can use an action reach into the bag and pull out any item that was stored when the spell was cast. This item is either pulled out in small form until it is set down or is full size if the caster can hold it. Once an item has left the magic of the bag, it cannot be returned.

<DM should require the person to sing the appropriate song to get all items into the bag :smallbiggrin: >