PDA

View Full Version : Monk Feat Help

bootzin
2015-02-10, 06:38 PM
Hey guys

So, I've started a new campaign with my friends, and I decided to build a monk, more specifically, a Way of the Four Elements Monk.

We rolled our stats and I got something pretty good for building a monk: 17/16/14/13/12/7

From that, I was in doubt between Variant Human, Hill Dwarf or Wood Elf. The last one seemed like the best choice, but I decided to go with the Human, as it would fit my character concept better (Let us be honest, Avatar)

From that, I've selected Perception as my proficient skill, and DEX and WIS as my stats to increase, but I have no idea of which feat to take

I've thought of 2 possibilities:

- I take Athlete so I can get both my DEX and WIS up to 18 and a CON of 14 (Which would lead me to having all of them at 20 late game)
- I take another feat (Lucky, Mobile, or some other suggestion you may have) and keep my DEX at 18 and WIS at 17 and CON at 14, leading me to final stats being DEX and CON 20 and WIS 19, but allowing me to take another feat or to increase my WIS and another stat (i.e. STR).

Which of them do you think is the best option?

Yagyujubei
2015-02-10, 07:02 PM
if you talk with your DM to confirm it will be useful, observant is a fantastic way to ramp up your WIS by the 1 that you're missing while getting the (possibly depending on DM) HUGE benefit of +5 to passive perception. the reason it depends, is that some DMs don't really use passive perception too much, or might think that it would be too broken to have a passive that high.

like working as the skill does RAW, you would literally see almost everything of note without even trying to esp with it trained and a high WIS score.

other than that mobile can be really useful to allow you to move around the field and lock up or take down key target without getting destroyed. lucky is good just because re-rolling bad rolls is amazing, or if you can convince your DM to let you homebrew a feat that gives you an increase Ki pool in some way that would be nice since WotFE monks are suuuper ki hungry.

Demonic Spoon
2015-02-10, 07:36 PM
like working as the skill does RAW, you would literally see almost everything of note without even trying to esp with it trained and a high WIS score.

This is not actually RAW. According to RAW, the only place you specifically use passive perception is when detecting stealthed creatures. I think even the trap rules say that the DM can choose to use passive checks.

Passive checks other then stealth are basically all DM fiat.

bootzin
2015-02-10, 07:57 PM
Actually, Observant seems like a nice one to pick

With it I'll have a passive Perception of 21 at first level, which means people can only hide from me with some pretty high rolls (Considering 18 on DEX, they still need to roll a 13 to hide past me)

And I can read lips, which is pretty cool regarding RP, and a WIS of 18 will increase my AC

I guess it is a pretty good option overall

Boverk
2015-02-11, 12:00 PM
With as much CC as the monk can do, the +5 initiative feat might be a good choice. It gives you a massive increase to the probability of going first, and then you can lock people down.

Yagyujubei
2015-02-11, 07:59 PM
Actually, Observant seems like a nice one to pick

With it I'll have a passive Perception of 21 at first level, which means people can only hide from me with some pretty high rolls (Considering 18 on DEX, they still need to roll a 13 to hide past me)

And I can read lips, which is pretty cool regarding RP, and a WIS of 18 will increase my AC

I guess it is a pretty good option overall

like i said before though make sure to check with your DM that it will actually be useful to you, if they dont use passive scores at all then you're much better off with something else.