PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Son of... Someone or Other

Pages : [1] 2

Rizban
2015-02-10, 07:43 PM
Moranica and DM only, please!

Scrillio approaches the University. A large, wrought iron gate stands open in front of the campus, topped by a sign which reads "Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica" in elaborate lettering which appears to glow faintly. It seems as if there is a student organization fair going on at this very moment. A large sign points the way to the registration office.

Moranica
2015-02-11, 03:50 AM
"Here I am, seems I'm not the only young one around.", says Scrillio as he approaches

Nice, I guess this is also partly starting a new life. Perhaps I should make some friends.... Anyway, gotto get signed up first.

He heads into the registration office.

Rizban
2015-02-11, 05:03 AM
Inside, the registration office consists of essentially nothing but a large entryway and three doors. One of the doors is closed with a "Do Not Disturb" sign. The second stands open, revealing a long hallway that goes deeper into the building, but a velvet rope has been hung across it to indicate entry is barred. The third door has a sign above it which reads "Enrollment". A potential student enters the office as another leaves carrying a stack of papers. A line of six other potential students stands nervously awaiting their turns outside of the office. Two of the people cast glances at you as you enter but you are otherwise ignored.

Moranica
2015-02-11, 05:13 AM
Scrillio joins the line of people waiting.

"So, also enrolling? I'm so excited! Any idea what it will be like studying here?", he says to the man before him.

Rizban
2015-02-11, 05:36 AM
The guy right in front of you turns and says, "I hear it's absolutely brutal. Not only do they teach you about magical theory, they make the students test it out... on each other!"

Moranica
2015-02-11, 05:56 AM
Scrillio's eyes open wide, with genuine fear, as the student explains the upcoming ordeals.

"....are you saying, students could die during classes?!?"

Quickly, Scrillio starts scanning the others in line, looking for possible 'killer' students.

Rizban
2015-02-11, 06:00 AM
"Yeah... happens more often than you'd think too. They used to experiment on the bodies too... Why else do you think undead are banned from the city now? Dark stuff, man."

The girl standing in front of him smacks him in the back of the head hard enough that he almost stumbles.

"Quit lying, you jerk. You know none of that's true.

Hi, I'm Sheara. New around here?"

She offers you a handshake.

Moranica
2015-02-11, 06:08 AM
Scrillio's sighs as his fears are quickly removed by the friendly girl.

"Indeed, indeed. Quite new indeed. I'm Scrillio. Thank you for helping me. I take you are not a new student then?"

Rizban
2015-02-11, 06:13 AM
"I'm just here changing majors... again. I found something really cool, and I want to try that one now. Ignore the doofus. He's here because his professor kicked him out for casting illusions during lectures, so now he's got to switch up some stuff if he wants to graduate."

The boy harrumphs, crosses his arms, and ignores the both of you.

Moranica
2015-02-11, 07:42 AM
"Alright, so it's not a one-school-to-teach-them-all kind of thing. I haven't even thought of what direction to take. I've got some talent for working with my body, though.", Scrillio says as he does a poor impression of the bullies face.

"At what level do people enter here? I was home schooled a little, so I'm not sure at what level I should enter."

Using change shape for this.
Also, so far he has used the shape of a human, young man (like the picture). This has always been Scrillio's preferred form, so it goes with the name.

Rizban
2015-02-11, 08:05 AM
"If you've never had any formal training, then you should start with freshman courses. I started with

Oops! My turn. Good luck!"

She disappears into the office as the student before her leaves. A few minutes later, she leaves carrying a stack of papers. Engrossed, she doesn't say anything as she passes you and her mean-spirited friend enters the office.

Shortly, your turn comes.

Moranica
2015-02-11, 08:16 AM
Nervously, Scrillio waits. He realises he how unprepared he was for this.

I'm such an idiot. Thinking it would be as simple as heading over to the university and hoping to stumble across information about my dad. I'll prepare better next time.

When it's his turn, Scrillio enters the office.

Rizban
2015-02-12, 07:47 PM
Inside, a stern looking elven woman sits at a desk, a slight frown on her lips as you walk through the door. She appears to be trying to appraise your abilities and whether or not you would make an adequate student. She waits for you to speak.

Moranica
2015-02-13, 02:35 AM
Obviously nervous, Scrillio steps forward.

"....uhmm, hi, I'm Scrillio. I'm here to enroll. .... I have no idea how this works...", Scrillio stammers. "I noticed the others got a lot of papers..."

Rizban
2015-02-13, 12:50 PM
She sighs heavily as she pinches the bridge of her nose.

"What do you hope to learn while you're here? Have you reviewed the course catalogue?"

Moranica
2015-02-13, 01:36 PM
"I haven't read the catalogue. I do know what I want to learn though. The way I look upon the world, or Aldhaven for that matter, is one that is full of many kinds of information. I seek to learn to improve my ways of accessing this information. ... Through magical or psionic means of course. My talent lies with psionics, but I find that while the difference in origin puts limits on what arcane of psionic energies can be used to, the applications are mostly similar in fashion."

And then he continues, as he looks at the stern woman.

".... I hope I'm not being to vague...."
"Either way, I'm quite unfamiliar with the university. I'm sure the catalogue could give some insight into the courses, and possible specialties of the university. But what would be a good way to get to know daily business and people here?"

Rizban
2015-02-13, 01:54 PM
"Great. Another one.

Just take these, fill them out, and drop them off in the drop slot in the lobby. Someone will get back to you in a few days.

Send in the next applicant."

She shoves a stack of papers your way along with a thin booklet before promptly dismissing you.

Moranica
2015-02-13, 02:09 PM
Scrillio accepts the stack and booklet. Before he turns though, he takes a good look at her face, so as to be able to reproduce it later. That should get him some friends for sure.

He exits the office and find himself some seating to fill in the paperwork.

Rizban
2015-02-13, 02:34 PM
The paperwork consists of forms requesting personal information and an aptitude test, so... Knowledge checks, please.

Moranica
2015-02-13, 03:15 PM
Alright, this is all knowledges that I have ranks in.

Knowledge (Psionics) [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion) [roll1]
Knowledge (Nature) [roll2]
Knowledge (Planes) [roll3]

Rizban
2015-02-13, 06:00 PM
Completing the aptitude test, you hear a mental *ding* which draws your attention to the course catalogue. Opening it you see a list of suggested courses available for this semester for which you are thought to qualify. A more complete course list is available if you wish to examine it.

Herbal Thought
Thaumaturgical Astrotaxation
Insubstantial Physiology
Conditional Animism
Notional Metareligion
Investigative Ritualistic Entymology
Impressionist Biochanneling
Unnatural Astrolore
Quantum Polyprophecy
Impressionist Demonology
Planar Archaeology

Moranica
2015-02-13, 06:04 PM
Well, that certainly is handy! Let's see, I don't even know how many classes I can attend to...

He proceeds to mark down, the ones that sound interesting and heads back inside.

Herbal Thought
Thaumaturgical Astrotaxation
(X) Insubstantial Physiology
Conditional Animism
Notional Metareligion
Investigative Ritualistic Entymology
(X) Impressionist Biochanneling
Unnatural Astrolore
(X) Quantum Polyprophecy
Impressionist Demonology
Planar Archaeology

He asks the nearest student?

"Where do I enter this?"

Rizban
2015-02-13, 06:15 PM
"Drop it off in the lobby. They'll get you registered."

Moranica
2015-02-13, 06:18 PM
"Alright, will do. Thank you!!"

Scrillio walks out again, and suddenly realises he has no idea where 'the lobby' actually is. He decides to ask someone at the students fair and heads in that direction. Meanwhile, he keeps an eye out for Sheara.

Rizban
2015-02-13, 07:55 PM
He doesn't see Sheara, but he does find out that they meant the lobby in front of the office where you got the papers, i.e. where you stood around waiting for an hour earlier.

Moranica
2015-02-13, 08:02 PM
......duh.... obviously, you're quite a bit out of your league here, Scrillio.

He goes to the lobby and hands in his papers, while he asks.

"How and when will I know if I'm accepted into the courses?"

Rizban
2015-02-13, 08:10 PM
The drop slot in the wall fails to respond to your question, and the lobby appears otherwise empty. It seems that the enrollment office has closed for the day...

Moranica
2015-02-13, 08:13 PM
Scrillio realises it is indeed getting late, and that he should leave, before he makes an even greater fool of himself.

He heads back to the Flint, has some food and gets a cheap room there, after which he goes to bed.

Rizban
2015-02-13, 09:37 PM
You know the drill with the Flint and know enough not to anger Joss. As such, you pay the standard 5gp rate and enjoy a night of restful, uninterrupted sleep.

Moranica
2015-02-14, 04:32 AM
Scrillio wakes early the next morning.

At least relatively early... Being a young, unemployed bachelor doesn't help getting structure into your day. And while his mom tried hard to change these 'habits', she failed, and this is one of the few chaotic things he had picked up from his father.

He gets some breakfast and, while eating, he checks the catalogue once more. This time to find out information about the startdate's and .... fees.

Rizban
2015-02-16, 02:22 AM
He discovers that classes will begin in three weeks time.
Each class has a standard tuition rate of 2,000gp per semester; however, lab fees, books, and other supplies are not included in this amount.

Moranica
2015-02-16, 03:10 AM
...GLPH.... , Scrillio's breakfast gets stuck in his throat, as he reads the prices.

Idiot, idiot, idiot. Of course, it's going to cost lots of money. It's a university, not a simple school. ... and even those aren't free. I've got 500 goldpieces ..., and I need well over 6000. Better get a well paying job then.

Images of gnomes float through his mind for a second, before winking out just as fast as they appeared.

Guess this'll be the most expensive infiltration ever!, Scrillio grins silently.

He asks the half-giant (in the Flint, where he's having breakfast) whether he knows about any well paying jobs.

Rizban
2015-02-16, 05:28 AM
"I hear Lord Tebren's having a problem with ghosts and offering a fair sum. Pretty sure Mr. Jedder across the way is handling that affair for him though.
Of course, if you're interested in something a little less public, I might have some ideas..."

Moranica
2015-02-16, 05:34 AM
".... I suppose I could do something less public. In a way, my whole life has been quite unpublic. I assume that alters the price as well?"

Scrillio nods, having really no idea what is getting himself into, but going with the flow regardless. Little does he know, that his father went the exact same path.

"So, what have you got?"

Rizban
2015-02-16, 07:45 AM
"The noble's offering ten kay. Don't think this is going to get you that much, at least not at first, but..."

He fishes around in his pocket for a moment before pulling out a small silver turtle and flipping to you.

"Head to the back and tell the guards, 'Faster than the hare.'"

Moranica
2015-02-16, 12:00 PM
Scrillio accepts the coin with a slight frown at the hare think, being quite sure the hare would much quicker. Unless it were some kind of animorphic one.

Then he heads to the back, while telling the guards their key phrase.

Rizban
2015-02-16, 04:36 PM
The guard wordlessly takes the turtle medallion from you and opens the door to allow you through.

Moranica
2015-02-16, 04:41 PM
Scrillio steps inside, feeling rather uncomfortable, but determined nonetheless.

Rizban
2015-02-16, 04:48 PM
On the other side is a dwarf sitting at a desk with a pile of papers strewn throughout. He glances up as you enter and says, "Oh, another one? Sign this and please don't disturb my pets." He pushes a paper your direction while scratching the head of a blink dog.

The walls in this room are bare stone. Behind the dwarf is a black door apparently made of iron.

Moranica
2015-02-16, 04:51 PM
Scrillio signs with his name. Scrillio

"What's next, and what is all this? Are you an employer?"

Rizban
2015-02-16, 05:01 PM
"Standard non-disclosure agreement. Employers are through that door," the dwarf says as he points over his shoulder with his thumb.

"No signature, no entry. Simple."

You find that the contract is a standard non-disclosure agreement requiring the undersigned and all associated entities within his party that are so beholden to him to agree not to discuss anything seen in the rooms beyond or discuss the nature of the jobs found within, except the job that the person ends up taking with the person who hired it. Convoluted legal language fills the contract tying up loopholes and leaving little room for interpretation to finagle your way out. One odd passage mentions something about a needle mine, but the specifics will be hard to parse out without legal training.

Moranica
2015-02-17, 02:03 AM
"Alright, I signed. Seems quite legal for sometimes possibly il.... Nevermind me. So, what's next?"

Rizban
2015-02-17, 05:23 AM
You're quickly ushered through the iron door by the guards.

On the other side is a well-groomed halfling standing between two spiral staircases.

"Hmm... Employee, I'd say. Right this way."

He cheerfully takes you up the left-hand staircase. He opens the door at the top for you and steps aside to allow you to pass.

Beyond the door are numerous long hallways, each with a label describing the sort of jobs offered along that hall.

The signs all advertise various, generic roles that range from "Protection - Offensive" to "Defense -Proactive" to "Retrieval - Extraplanar". You imagine that most any sort of task requiring an adventurer might be represented.

Looking around, you notice that each hallway branches into two more rather quickly, each branch representing some sort of decision related to the hall's genre, each further hall becoming more and more specialized. No matter how deep you go, looking behind you reveals only a short, straight hall back to the door through which you entered.

Come up with some description of the kinds of job you're looking for, and I'll direct you towards something appropriate.

Moranica
2015-02-17, 06:10 AM
Hmmmm, infiltration and impersonation seem to be my kind of things. That leaves op a lot of options. Eg. investigation, stealing, abduction, replacing etc. (most things other then combat. :smallsmile:)

Rizban
2015-02-17, 07:03 AM
Wandering somewhat aimlessly, he comes across two areas which pique his interest: "Investigation - Undercover" and "Protection - Replacement".

Moranica
2015-02-17, 07:25 AM
Protection - Replacement ..... that sounds dangerous, somehow. Probably involves faking death as well. That sounds rather tricky.

I'll go with the infiltration one instead.

He opens the door and enters.

Rizban
2015-02-17, 07:32 AM
The first door you try is locked. Looking closer, you notice that the door is unmarked. Only 4 of the 7 doors in this hallway have name plaques on them.

You choose another and enter. Inside is a bare white room. The only change from the endless white is a black stone set in the center of the ceiling.

"Name?" a female voice says from the stone.

Moranica
2015-02-17, 09:06 AM
Heart beating in his throat, Scrillio answers: "Scrillio..."

Rizban
2015-02-17, 07:23 PM
"What sort of talents do you have? Reckless bravery is not what's needed here."

Moranica
2015-02-18, 02:53 AM
"Uhm, no recklessness here. My talents lie in altering my appearance. Both subtle (long term) and extensively during short periods. I can hold my own in a fight if it comes to that, though I try to avoid them. Take out people wihtout hurting them, or with."

"Basicly, I'm good at adapting to situations."

Rizban
2015-02-18, 03:27 AM
"A demonstration if you would, to prove you are not boasting idly."

Moranica
2015-02-18, 03:58 AM
"Fair enough. For long term I could do something like this.", while saying that, Scrillio changes his appearance to look like the dwarf at the black door.

Disguise [roll0]

"For short term though, I can maintain more extreme changes. For example.", having said that, Scrillio focusses for a moment, calling up an image of the half-giant bartender en uses metamorphosis to recreate that image with his own body.

Rizban
2015-02-18, 04:42 AM
A section of the far wall recedes and slides back. You hear the voice call out from beyond.

"Please proceed. That demonstration was sufficient."

Moranica
2015-02-18, 05:07 AM
Scrillio turns back to standard and enters.

Rizban
2015-02-18, 07:28 AM
An aasimar woman whose eyes are nothing but black orbs is sitting behind a pure white desk. The woman says, "You appear to have the sorts of talents that Mr. NotAPseudonym would find useful. Do you have any questions of me?"

Moranica
2015-02-18, 07:39 AM
.... this is confusing .... "I have questions for my employer of course. I then assume that is not you?"

Rizban
2015-02-18, 08:22 AM
"No, of course not. I work for the Flint. My job is to screen applicants for suitability before sending them to meet with the client.

I can give you the basic information about the job and answer any questions that can be considered public knowledge. The details of your contract and exact pay are left up to you to negotiate with our client after we are done here.

Mr. NotAPseudonym is looking for someone to investigate a particular business from within, searching for specific information that he has had difficulty obtaining otherwise."

Moranica
2015-02-18, 08:28 AM
"Alright, is this a full undercover operation, or just a get in/get out kinda thing?"

Scrillio continues.

"And what is this business? An organisation, or a location? And what is their relation with my employer?"

"Most importantly perhaps, what information is he looking for, and has it been attempted before?"

Rizban
2015-02-18, 08:44 AM
"It's a short term full undercover operation.

The business is a shipping company, but a request has been made that the exact name be withheld at this juncture for the security of the mission.

The rest of what you ask is not public knowledge."

Moranica
2015-02-18, 09:15 AM
"Alright, clear. How is an identity provided, am I replacing someone, or should I enter as a new member? The latter takes more time obviously. I suppose the employer should know that I no nothing at all about shipping."

"Will it include work at the docks? That will raise the price, depending on the safety provided by the business I'm infiltrating."

Rizban
2015-02-18, 02:23 PM
"Those are all questions you will need to ask the employer yourself. Such information was neither divulged to the Flint nor common knowledge."

Moranica
2015-02-18, 05:31 PM
"Aha, best talk to him then. Please tell him I'm interested."

Rizban
2015-02-18, 06:33 PM
"That's your responsibility. Here."

She hands you a small card with the employer's name and address. On the back of the card is the sign of the Sad Flint, magicked to prove its authenticity.

Moranica
2015-02-18, 06:36 PM
"I see. I suppose, I should thank you then. I will go and see him immediatly. I assume he's expecting me?"

Scrillio says while inspecting the card and reading it.

Rizban
2015-02-18, 06:55 PM
The front of the card reads
Mr. Thisis NotAPseudonym
(the meeting address)
Old Town

Moranica
2015-02-18, 06:57 PM
Well ... this name, I suppose Scrillio isn't so common either, but this guy must have had some horrible parents.

Scrillio leaves and heads over to the adress.

Gotta go sleep now! cu tomorrow

Rizban
2015-02-18, 07:01 PM
You arrive at a small, out of the way coffee shop in Old Town called The Drippy Bean. There are two small tables out front and two small tables inside. There appear to be no other patrons at the moment, and the teenage girl leaning on counter inside looks bored out of her mind and twitchy on too much caffeine. She looks up at you wide eyed as you enter. It seems like she's not sure how to react to actually having a customer.

Moranica
2015-02-19, 04:31 AM
Scrillio puts on his friendliest smile, when he realises the girl is just as nervous as he is. Walking over to the bar casually fails horribly, as it seems more like a stutter step.

"Hello dear, I could really do with a drink. Something inexpensive will do."

"Have you seen Mister Thisis perhaps, I would like to meet him."

Rizban
2015-02-19, 08:48 AM
"O-Of course. It's two gold."

She pours you a cup of steaming hot coffee.

"There's a guy who comes in ever afternoon. Don't know his name though. Maybe it's him?"

Moranica
2015-02-19, 09:25 AM
"I just got this card, with this address.", Scrillio says while sitting down. "What's your name?"

"Guess, that means I'll have something to eat as well. What's cooking?"

Rizban
2015-02-20, 05:52 AM
"I'm T-Theria. It's nice to meet you."

She smiles rather big then blushes, looks down, and stops smiling quite so much.

"Oh! We have honey oat cookies, fried buttermilk biscuits (http://foodnetwork.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/food/fullset/2004/6/15/0/pa1b18_fried_biscuits.jpg), and apple pie by the slice. If you want something hot, we have a bit of lentil soup, but it's not very good..."

She looks embarrassed as she mentions the last part.

Moranica
2015-02-20, 06:00 AM
"Pleasure to meet you, Theria. I'm Scrillio. I'll have some of those fried buttermilk biscuits."

While he waits for the biscuits Scrillio sips his coffee and looks the place up.

"Is business always this quiet?"

Rizban
2015-02-20, 08:39 PM
She fishes two of them out for you and includes a small pad of butter and tiny pitcher of honey.

"T-That's two more gold, Sir Scrillio.

Yeah, it's always pretty quiet here. The owner doesn't do it for the money though. She just likes to have coffee anytime she wants and can afford it."

About that time, a man wearing a heavy cloak and golden mask reminiscent of a golden bird. Fine golden feathers cover his upper face while larger feathers sweep back from the sides and cover much of his hair. A large, golden colored beak like an eagle's juts forth beneath the ruby red eyes of the mask, covering his nose and obscuring much of his mouth.

He glances at you then looks away. He has a deep, resonant voice when he speaks.

"Theria, my usual."

His order placed, he turns by to you, sizing you up.

"Scrillio. You match the description I received. Join me."

The man moves to the booth further back from the door and takes a seat, his back to the wall.

Moranica
2015-02-21, 04:20 PM
Scrillio pays and takes his drink and bites over to the birdman.

"I take it you are Mister Thisis? I assume you are the husband of the owner?"

Rizban
2015-02-21, 08:18 PM
"Hardly. I have no spouse. This is simply my favorite locale in the city. Small, quiet, and peaceful. But, yes, I am the person you're seeking."

Theria brings the order, sets it on the table, and quickly leaves. As she leaves, you notice she gives you a sidelong glance as you move past.

Clearing his throat once she's out of earshot, the masked man leans forward and speaks in a quieter voice.

"So, the Flint thinks you capable enough to complete my task. I am somewhat dubious of that, but they've never steered me wrong before. Tell me something. What do you think this job will entail based on what you've already learned?"

Moranica
2015-02-22, 01:02 PM
Scrillio tries to act casual and sits back a little. It doesn't take a genius however to see he is nervous and quite uncomfortable. He's never done anything like this before, and while he is confident in his abilities, using them for money in someones service is quite another matter.

When Theria passes by, he tries hard to not look in her direction.

"Well, indeed the Flint asked me to show some of my skills. They gave me very little information on the job though. What I know is that it involves infiltrating a shipping company for a specific piece of information. Or at least, that's what I deduct from the short duration. That is pretty much all they told me."

Sense motive on Theria's reaction [roll0]

Rizban
2015-02-22, 10:36 PM
Your sense motive seems to lead you to the conclusion that Theria is somewhat attracted to you but is now a bit more leery than she was at first. After all, you're now associating with the strange, rude man who comes in all the time and probably never leaves a tip.
Taking a sip of his steaming, milky drink, the man nods approval.

"Good. Good. I just had to confirm your identity.

Here's the deal. A short time ago, I discovered that a particular shipping company was smuggling in powerful magic items with the intention of using them to subjugate the city. About two weeks ago, some associates of mine managed to steal a crate of said items. Unfortunately, one of the enforcers of said company tracked down and slaughtered the dock hands who had pilfered the crate. Two of them escaped, carrying off the most powerful of the items, which, to my understanding, still remains lost.

I need someone crafty and intelligent to find work with this company to monitor the shipments. I don't want you to do anything too dangerous, like stealing anything noticeable. I just need copies of shipping manifests and reports of any crates not listed on said manifests or any other suspicious activity. The real problem is that they're watchful now and distrusting. They're refusing to hire the same laborers more than once or twice before looking for new help and changing up routines. They don't want anyone figuring out how, when, and where they're moving things.

Additionally, any information you can find about the two missing men and the one remaining stolen item would be invaluable, but not if it falls into the wrong hands."

Moranica
2015-02-23, 04:03 AM
Scrillio nods, but really his mind is flooding with questions at an tremendous rate.

"I see, that does make it more troublesome. Not that I can't manage of course. I have some questions still though."

"If you don't mind me asking. What is your relation with this business? A threat to the city seems more like something for the watch to handle. And sending in men to obtain such dangerous items seems unlike the watch as well. Reason I'm asking not for morality sake, but I need to know things to assess the risks I'll be taking. And while my goal is clear, if I knew about your goal with this, it would allow me to make adjustments on spot if needed. Eg. if you need to shipment papers to plan a raid, I would know better when to contact you with found information. Heeh, I could even help you during such a thing, helping planning and execution. Of course, that'll have a different price tag."

"As for the infiltration, I can think of several ways to get to them, some of which are faster, but also riskier. But we'll discuss my approach when we start talking about the price."

Scratching his chin, Scrillio continues.

"I'll also need to know what actions you've taken so far? You send in some of your men, which are either dead or fleeing. Have you tried speaking to the dead? While not quite legal, that could yield some interesting information. And about the two on the run. Why do you think they've not contacted you yet? Have you tried scrying on them? Do you have other means of locating them? Of course, finding them would help you, but do you think they will come easily? Do you have other men available? On the inside perhaps? And is the shipping company aware of you and your actions?"

"And then of course, there are the items. You seem to know a bit about them. What is it, how does it work and how can I recognise them? And, what do you want me to do with them, if I find them?"

"I'm sorry if I ask much, but it will make my work that much easier, safer .... and thus cheaper, if I know these things."

Rizban
2015-02-25, 01:08 AM
"I was not involved in the initial action taken. I'm just trying to finish what associates of mine started and bail out the ones that may still be alive."

He sighs, rubs his nose under the mask, then continues.

"Very well. I'm going to be honest with you on this. The person bringing these items into the city is a priest of an evil deity. I don't know too much about what's going on for sure, but these items are part of some ritual meant to subjugate the city. I'm a servant of... a different god. He's not exactly a benevolent deity, but he's not a murderous one either. Though I'm sure he'd like to rule this city exclusively, he's more interested in simply preserving what he has. I will tell you no more about him at this point, however, as I don't want this coming back to harm the temple should you be captured and tortured for information.

If those who are laying low were not shielding themselves from divination, then I'm quite sure that the enemy would have already run a scry and die mission against them. If they're in one of our safe houses, it's one I do not know. The only thing that is certain is that their evil god's power can not be called into the world without that one missing item or another item of equal power. I'm hiring you to monitor them to make sure they don't discover the missing relic or bring in a suitable replacement."

Moranica
2015-02-25, 03:00 AM
Sense motive on his story [roll0]

"I see, I was afraid this would be about some strong political (throwing in religion with them) power struggle. You should know beforehand that I'm not one easily persuaded by ideals, so I am unlikely to pick sides from a morality perspective. Of course, that makes me also safer to employ."

"When I think they might be able to finallise their plans, then I will contact you. By what way would be preferable? I assume you have an intervention team ready if need be? Same goed for finding the runaways. Is there an easy way for me to recognise them?"

"And about the items, how will I recognise them?"

"Finally, the job seems clear enough. Now we should discuss payment. I propose we seperate to monitoring from finding the item or the two men. Also the price excludes me helping with any intervention, though that can be added ... for a cost of course. What do you propose?"

Rizban
2015-02-25, 04:59 AM
He seems to be telling you the truth. He also seems to be hiding something from you while talking about his own deity... Imagine that.

"There is no planned intervention. I have sent word to others of the faith to call them to the city, but they have yet to arrive. For the moment, it is just me and you.

Hopefully you can find a solution or delay them long enough for help to arrive.

I had assumed you had some method to detect their auras... that was part of the recruiting requirements at the Flint... Tell me you can do that..."

Moranica
2015-02-25, 05:41 AM
"I can indeed, but there's usually quite a lot of magic auras in this city. Any particulair school I should be looking out for?"

Rizban
2015-02-25, 05:56 AM
"Unfortunately, no, I don't know what aura it would exude. You can be assured that it will be quite strong..."

Moranica
2015-02-25, 06:18 AM
"Alright, I guess that will work out. So, how can I contact you and what do you propose in regards to the payment?"

Rizban
2015-02-25, 07:50 PM
"I'm here most days at about this time. You can come report in whenever I'm here."

Moranica
2015-02-26, 02:25 AM
"Alright, will do."

Rizban
2015-02-26, 02:56 AM
He sighs.

"As to payment, they'll give you some pittance each time you're hired, I'm sure, which you are, of course, entitled to keep. Though I'd personally dump it somewhere as soon as possible. I'll pay you 100 gold each night you work for them and an extra 100, or more, for any information you bring me. If you located my compatriots, I'll pay you quite well, a thousand or so seems fair. If you find information about any other artifacts that can replace the missing one, I'll pay you 1000 for the info or 4000 if you can steal it and deliver it to me."

Moranica
2015-02-26, 03:58 AM
"To be honest, I haven't yet decided yet whether I will actually be working for them, or just infiltrate. I guess it will depend on the work, number of workers etc. However, paying me 100 gold pieces a day for infiltrating a group set on taking over the city seems a bit low to me. Since this is the part that puts me at risk in the first place, I want 250 a day. The prices for the info and/or taking possesion of the artifact seem fair to me", Scrillio says calmly. Inside though, his heart is pounding hard. Not so much about the excitement of getting paid, but because he is actually going to put himself in danger, and put his slow nurtured abilities to the test.

Rizban
2015-02-26, 05:33 AM
The man drains the last sip from his coffee.

"Well then. Do remember though that the contract you signed does magically compel you to reveal nothing I've told you."

He sets down the cup and stands up.

"You know where to find me when you're willing to accept a reasonable offer."

With that, he starts to walk out of the coffee shop.

Moranica
2015-02-26, 06:44 AM
Scrillio frowns at the man's dismissal.

"Indeed I will not divulge this information to anyone. I am a professional afterall." Albeit with no experience ...

"And good luck to you, with finding someone to follow in a dead man's tracks for a 100 gold a day."

Scrillio sighs and finishes his coffee. Well, that didn't go so well. At least I'm not taking any risks.

"Theria, could I get another coffee? Seems like your customer is a proper business man. Is he related to the owner?"

Just to let you know I don't mind the way this plays out so far. If you feel different please let me know. Don't want you to prepare things and just walk away because of a couple of gold pieces. Scrillio is mostly scared to bits of power groups, mostly because of his father's stories. And it would be unlikely to cover his university expenses.

Rizban
2015-02-26, 03:05 PM
She quickly brings you another coffee.

"Wow. I c-couldn't help but hear the last part of what you were saying. A hundred gold per day?! M-Maybe I c-could do the job. I could really use money like that.

I don't think they're related. I don't actually know who he is though..."

Moranica
2015-02-26, 03:44 PM
"I know, I'd rather you don't though. It's quite unlike your job here. Then again, I've got great costs to cover as well. I'll sleep on it, It's not like well paid jobs are easily found."

"Isn't he a regular customer here? How come you don't know him? .... Does he always wear that mask?"

Rizban
2015-02-26, 03:53 PM
"Yeah, but I really need the money..."

She looks out the door after him as if unsure what to do.

"Yeah, he's always got the mask on. Sometimes he switches it out for a different mask though."

Moranica
2015-02-26, 04:15 PM
"Why's that? You've got a job at least. What about home? Husband? Parents? Family?"

Scrillio asks honestly interested. It seems like someone in need of his own age, makes the youth thinks about his own circumstances. No home, no family, no job.

Rizban
2015-02-26, 04:21 PM
"I support my grandmother, who is a priestess of some goddess or another whose worship went out of fashion 50 years ago. We've got a little apartment, but making ends meet isn't the easiest thing in the world. More money could be really helpful"

Moranica
2015-02-26, 04:28 PM
"Theria, I would like to meet your grandmother. I've lost my family very recently, so I can understand your feelings. I'll see about helping you."

"What happened to your parents?"

Rizban
2015-02-26, 04:33 PM
She looks really upset.

"They... I d-don't know. T-They just weren't th-there anymore one day. My mamaw raised me after that, and now I take care of her.
Um... I don't really know you, so I'm not really comfortable taking you home to meet her..."

Moranica
2015-02-26, 04:54 PM
"I'm sorry, that was perhaps a bit sudden from me. I guess I'm a bit unstable. My parents died in a fire 3 days ago..... And I'm kinda lost. ... I'll be back tomorrow."

Having said that he pays and leaves a 10 gp tip, before heading back to the flint and heads to bad early. The sadness of the past days sinking in.

He dreams of a huge fire, which suddenly shrinks, seemingly getting absorbed by a burning heart.

The next morning he rises a new man. Determined and focused he heads back to the coffee shop.

Feel free to add to the dream if you like.

Rizban
2015-02-28, 01:17 AM
The burning heart in his dream beats only once. He doesn't so much hear the voice as feel it somewhere in his bones.

I hunger

You arrive back at the coffee shop the next morning. There is an extraordinarily chipper man in his mid 30s behind the counter.

"Well, hello and good morning to you! It's a bright and happy day! Don't you think? What can I get for you to make your day brighter?"

Moranica
2015-02-28, 06:54 AM
The dream scares him partly, but he is also glad of the direction it may offer.

Scrillio nearly stumbles as he is greeted by the young man.

"....uhhh... I'll have a coffee, with some of those butter things. Isn't Theria working today?", Scrillio asks, while taking a seat.

Rizban
2015-02-28, 07:06 PM
"Oh ho! Somebody's got a wee little crush, eh? Wink wink, nudge nudge.

I work mornings."

Moranica
2015-02-28, 07:17 PM
"... I ... well... no, no. I'm just worried."

"I'll just wait here for the masked fellow to come for his coffee."

Rizban
2015-02-28, 07:22 PM
His cheeky grin falters for a moment and falls into a more normal smile, though his eyes seem a quite bit more focused on you than they were before?

"Worried? Masked man? What are you talking about? Did you get Theria into some kind of trouble? If you did..."

Moranica
2015-02-28, 07:25 PM
"Of course not, I'm here for business, and yesterday I chatted a bit with Theria. Then she told me about her grandmother and financial situation. That's all."

Rizban
2015-02-28, 07:32 PM
He just stares at you for a moment.

"Alright then. Don't get her hurt. You hear? She's a kind heart.

She doesn't start her shift until 2 o'clock. You've got a few hours if you're planning to wait..."

Moranica
2015-02-28, 07:43 PM
Scrillio nods.

"Alright, that's good to know. So, why do you think this business runs so poorly? I would think this could be quite popular in this district."

Rizban
2015-02-28, 07:46 PM
"Oh, it's always busy early morning and late night. You're an hour or two too late for the morning crowd. It's slammed from about 10 pm to about 7 in the morning."

Since you haven't said anything more about it, he pours you the cup of coffee you ordered.

Moranica
2015-02-28, 07:50 PM
"Thank you, ... I didn't realise this was a nightclub. What goes on here at night?", he asks.

Rizban
2015-02-28, 07:55 PM
"Nightclub? I'm not familiar with that term.

There's nothing special that goes on here. It's just that a number of students from the nearby university hang out here after the facilities close on campus. It's a good spot to get together and study or work on group projects. Most night, we pull the spare tables out of the back to setup outside.

That's going to be 1 gold."

Moranica
2015-02-28, 08:01 PM
Looking utterly confused about the whole thing, Scrillio pays.

"Well, that could mean that I'll be coming here a lot more often. I've just enrolled!"

"Are you a student as well?"

Rizban
2015-03-01, 12:05 AM
"That's great.

No. No, I'm not."

He glances over at the tables then back to you.

Moranica
2015-03-01, 03:18 AM
"What is it?", Scrillio asks.

During their conversation, Scrillio ponders a bit, letting his thoughts explore his emotions.

The hurt is still there, obviously, bit all this 'adventureous coffee drinking' sure is a nice distraction. And old town seems so different from the slums. I wish I had gotten out more, now this all feels so new to me, while I've been living in this city my entire life. Not looking forward to visiting the docks though, not even dad went there during his time. I wonder where they are right now. Would be interestinf from a religious point of view also. They never talked much about religion, said it was more political then politicians. I guess it's hard to not get involved in politics in a city like this...

While I'm getting money, I should work at making some friends. Friends help, mom used to say, they make life easier. ... Gna..gna... Dad always ridiculed her for that. One of the few people he liked was actually an elderly kobold, and he got killed soon after they met. Guess it doesn't help if people near you die...

I'll try and help Theria. It's like the guy says. She's a good girl, trying to get by. In some ways I am more lucky then she is. At least I've got some money and my talents. .. Yes, I'll help her.

Rizban
2015-03-02, 10:39 AM
"Hmm? What is what?"

His smile is now starting to look strained. Your sense motive is telling you that he has been done with this conversation for awhile.

Moranica
2015-03-02, 10:44 AM
"Nevermind", Scrillio answers bluntly.

After he finishes his coffee, he pays and heads to stroll through the local neighbourhood. Past noon he returns.

Rizban
2015-03-04, 09:24 PM
The local neighborhood abuts the small wall surrounding the Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica. Most of the area consists of boarding houses, primarily for students, as you are aware that on campus dorms are quite limited in supply. A small collection of restaurants selling light fare and two smaller bookstores are also in the area.

When you return, the man is still behind the counter.

"Don't worry, she'll be in soon."

He grins at you as you return and gives you a bit of a knowing wink. His smile is replaced momentarily with a very serious look.

"Just watch yourself."

His trademark smile returns as abruptly as it disappeared, and you find yourself slightly unnerved while also wondering if what you just saw and heard really happened...

Moranica
2015-03-05, 03:11 AM
"What the ... Guess I'll have another coffee then."

Rather then trying to start up another ackward conversation, Scrillio just drinks his coffee, while shooting nervous glances at the man.

Rizban
2015-03-05, 05:39 AM
About 1:15, Theria walks in the front door. She rushes into the back and comes out a few minutes later wearing her work apron. She doesn't seem to have noticed you.

A few minutes after, the annoying guy comes out of the back, gives her a side hug, and says goodbye. She looks a bit uncomfortable at the hug but doesn't say anything.

Moranica
2015-03-05, 05:51 AM
A faint smile appears on Scrillio's face as she enters.

When she returns from the back he greets her.

"Hiya, Theria. I decided to come back to have some more coffee. How are you today?"

Rizban
2015-03-05, 08:53 PM
She starts at your sudden appearance. She's quite obviously not used to having people in the shop this time of day.

"Oh! Oh, Scrillio, you scared me. I'm doing good. Today has been a good day."

Moranica
2015-03-06, 02:13 AM
Scrillio smiles friendly.

"Whoops, sorry to startle you. You seem quite the contrast to your collegue, you know. Is he one of the students?"

Rizban
2015-03-07, 02:24 AM
"You mean Lewis? He's a nice guy. I... well, I don't actually know anything about him. I never thought about it before. He just works here."

Moranica
2015-03-07, 04:08 AM
"So, Theria, I've been thinking about you said. And I've decided to take the job. You were right, when you said 100 gold pieces a day is a lot. Is there any way that I can thank you for your advice?"

Rizban
2015-03-07, 06:41 PM
She smiles coyly.

"I'm sure I can think of something... Perhaps dinner."

Moranica
2015-03-07, 07:20 PM
"I'd love that. Do you have time tonight?"

Scrillio's heart pounds hard as he realises he just somehow managed to get himself into something resembling a date. Something he never even thought about.

Overly excited he fills the time until the man arrives with small talk.

Rizban
2015-03-07, 08:24 PM
"No, I have... other plans. You'll have to come up with something some time though.

Anyway, I've really got to do some work..."

She smiles and heads back into the kitchen. A few minutes later, you smell the distinct smokey odor of roasting coffee beans.

Moranica
2015-03-08, 04:18 AM
Scrillio waits some more while pondering about Theria.

Rizban
2015-03-08, 06:07 AM
Theria returns to the counter and sets the boiler to making a fresh pot of coffee. She occasionally glances over at you and smiles before looking away quickly.

Shortly after, the man enters. Theria has his order ready. He picks it up, drops coins on the counter, and silently joins you while sipping his hot coffee.

Moranica
2015-03-08, 06:44 AM
"Good afternoon, Thisis. I've given it some more thought and I've decided I am indeed interested in your proposal. The change for a simple assignment to dealing with groups of power caught me from behind yesterday. Now, I'm back on my feet and ready to get to work."

Rizban
2015-03-08, 01:52 PM
He nods silently and makes a noncommittal noise in his throat then takes another sip of coffee.

Moranica
2015-03-08, 02:47 PM
Scrillio's uncertainty rises again, as the man responds quite calmly. Something he should have expected really.

"...if you're still ok with the deal as it stands of course. ... or has something happened at the docks? At least I probably would have known if they had taken over the city." Scrillio jokes poorly.

Rizban
2015-03-08, 03:49 PM
"Indeed."

He takes a sip of coffee and stares at you for a long moment.

"When do you plan to start?"

Moranica
2015-03-08, 04:20 PM
Well, Theria has to work tonight so...

"I can start right now, if you'd like."

Rizban
2015-03-08, 04:59 PM
"Well, I suppose you should start doing some recon work. It won't do too much good to go showing up for work there when there isn't any to be had. Maybe come up with a plan or something too..."

He goes to sip his coffee, realizes the cup is empty, and sets it back down.

Moranica
2015-03-09, 04:09 AM
"Indeed, I wasn't planning on heading in blind. You haven't told me which business I'm supposed to be looking at yet."

Scrillio rubs his chin for a bit. "And I feel like you have something to tell me still. Am I wrong?"

Rizban
2015-03-09, 09:55 AM
"Sendungen Imports."

Moranica
2015-03-09, 10:44 AM
"Alright, let's meet again in 2 days. Then I'll have my plan ready. Will you bring my first paycheck?"

Rizban
2015-03-09, 11:48 AM
"I agreed to pay you for each day you worked there as a dock hand and attempted to acquire information. I never agreed to pay you 100 gold per day from now until forever just because. Days you aren't there working aren't covered. I'll give you a bit to get you started, but until you're actually in the field working, that's all you get."

He sets a small bag of coin on the table, inside you find 12 platinum pieces.

Moranica
2015-03-09, 01:11 PM
"Ah, yes of course. Remind to take some lessons from you when this over. You're obviously a better business man then me."

"I will go and check the place out. I'll see you in a couple of days, when I finish my plan."

With that Scrillio takes the coins, pays for his coffee and leaves for the docks.

Rizban
2015-03-09, 02:09 PM
The man checks his pocket watch.

"Don't take too long. You've only got a couple hours before dusk."

Moranica
2015-03-09, 04:13 PM
"Good point, my dad warned me about that."

Along the way, Scrillio tries to find a alley, without onlookers, to change into a dwarven merchant, activate his third eye, throat and sacral chakra's, and then continues to the docks.

Disguise [roll0]

Rizban
2015-03-09, 06:16 PM
Heading north along Mastiff's Road, you reach a large gatehouse in the city's outer wall, known as Rivergate. It stands open. On the other side, you can see the great river rushing by with a stone causeway built into it just inches above water level, the river flowing through channels under and through the stone. The Fortress is built on a large island in the middle of the causeway.

Looking past the island, you can see another large gatehouse on the far shore. Just beyond that gatehouse is the Docks and outer slums of the city. Looking at it, a shudder sneaks its way down your back.

As you approach Dockside gate, you notice a dozen guardsmen standing watch, though all but two of them seem to watching those coming from the Docks rather than those going to them. As you approach, one of them stops you.

"Ho there. Do you have some business this way?"

Moranica
2015-03-10, 06:58 AM
The dwarf Scrillio, answers calmly.

"Aye, soldier. I'm looking to invest in starting a transportation company. Hence, I'm going to the docks. How much time before sunset, you recon? Cause, I want to be out before that."

Bluff [roll0]

Rizban
2015-03-11, 09:09 PM
He gives you a once over before just rolling his eyes and motioning you along.

"Good luck with that. I'd say maybe two hours, but don't push it. You're taking your life in your hands."

Moranica
2015-03-12, 01:31 AM
"Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind."

Having said that, Scrillio continues to the docks.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 03:53 AM
As you pass through Dockside Gate, you get a sense of stepping into another world. The Docks are quite different from the rest of the city, not just in appearance but in the very feel of the area. It's as if a spirit of malice lingers over the area.

The first few buildings around the gate look to be in good condition and share the same general building style as Old Town on the far side of the river, obviously government buildings of some kind. Farther out, the buildings quickly degenerate into ramshackle structures built in haste for the cheapest cost possible. Interspersed throughout are a few larger buildings of slightly better construction, obviously built as warehouses. To the north, you see rows of "houses" that are little more than dangerously leaning shacks, which you conclude is the area known commonly as The Slums. You know the piers of the Docks are to your left from here, though you can't actually see them from here due to the buildings.

Moranica
2015-03-13, 04:24 AM
A jolt of fear running along his spine, Scrillio forces his legs to move in the direction of the piers.

Rizban
2015-03-13, 11:27 AM
Do you stick to the main road or take a shortcut through the narrow alleys?

Moranica
2015-03-13, 11:30 AM
Definatly the main road. :smalleek:

Rizban
2015-03-13, 01:35 PM
You are quickly stopped by a heavily armed hobgoblin patrol. Each carries a number of weapons and wears obviously magical armor. Blue handprints have been tattooed on their faces.

"H'ain't seed you rounds here afore. You up to no good?"

The one who speaks levels his pike at you.

Moranica
2015-03-14, 04:43 AM
"Aye, business is rotten as usual. I'm looking to start some business here, or buy myself into one. You know where I can find a transportation company here?"

Scrillio answers calmly. He sports no weapons or armor.

Rizban
2015-03-14, 08:59 AM
He squints one eye at you as he appraises you.

"A'ight. You checks out. Can't help you with work. You want work, you find work."

The hobgoblins allow you to pass unmolested.

Moranica
2015-03-14, 12:56 PM
"Aye, will do."

Inwardly sighing with relief, Scrillio continues on to the piers.

Rizban
2015-03-18, 05:11 PM
Sorry for the delay. Work has just kept me extremely busy lately.
It takes you awhile to find the place, as there are no street signs or addresses. However, you do eventually find the building. Sendungen's Imports is a small wooden building built over the water on piers, standing about six feet above the water's surface. It appears to be nothing more than an old boathouse converted into a warehouse converted into an office. You only manage to find it because it is located directly next to Pier 2.

Moranica
2015-03-18, 05:31 PM
No worries, this game rewards patience. :smallcool:

How much longer till sunset?

Scrillio looks at the building for a bit, before wandering off again, scouting out the nearby area.

Rizban
2015-03-18, 06:10 PM
http://www.mornproductions.com/aldhaven/AVB/maps/Sendungan.jpg
You look around.
The only other public building in the immediate vicinity is the Red Rose Tavern just two buildings north of Sendungan Imports (orange arrow) on the right side of the road.

Moranica
2015-03-18, 06:18 PM
Nice!

Rubbing his belly, Scrillio heads over to the tavern.

No better way to find out about the locale over a nice drink. ... Boy, this is really getting the dwarf in me out.

Rizban
2015-03-18, 07:17 PM
Inside, a large crowd of dirty, rowdy dockworkers seem to be drinking beer and watching a fight between two lizardfolk on stage. You notice a distinct lack of humans among their population. A rather large half-ogre, who seems to be both proprietor and bouncer, eyes you suspiciously when you enter.

Moranica
2015-03-19, 03:53 AM
Scrillio forces down his fear. Going to the docks was one thing, but this is quite another. Now, more then ever, Scrillio realises how lonely his youth has been. Sure he played with the occasional neighbourhood kid, but gatherings like these are something completely new to him. It felt oppressng to say the least. This was going to be a true test of his skills, with men likely bumping into him.

Well, I were to look for persons to replace, this is probably a good place to look for them. But first, I need more information.

While scanning the room he approaches the half-ogre.

"Ey! If I were looking to transport some goods, who do I talk to? Any of these fine men a business owner?"

"And I'll have two beers, please."

Rizban
2015-03-19, 12:31 PM
The half-ogre laughs loudly at you, but you are completely unsure as to why.

From across the room, a drunken lizard man with shiny black scales shouts at you. "Fight! Fight! I wants see da new mans fight!"

A few murmurs cross the crowd followed by a few more shouts urging you into the ring. The half-ogre grins maliciously and takes a step to block your retreat.

Moranica
2015-03-19, 01:30 PM
"Fight? A fight? I'm not much for fighting. I am a business man, and former druid. If you are serious though, I can change into your big brother and fight you, you puny black lizard. As a matter of fact, I'll bet you 50 gold pieces I'll beat your none existant butt..."

In side Scrillio's head, everything alarm bell imaginable is going off. Must not show weakness now, must not show weak. If I want to be like them, I got to act like 'm.

Rizban
2015-03-20, 11:49 AM
The drunken lizard shouts out, "Fight da champin! Da champin!"

"Champion! Champion! Champion!" chants the crowd.

The half-ogre grins. "So, what's it going to be, pipsqueak?"

Moranica
2015-03-20, 01:44 PM
..... Scrillio senses a trap, obviously. But has no idea how to escape. He decides to go with it and feign ignorance.

"Well, it's a bit early to call me that, but sure, why not. So you'll take the bet?"

Scrillio starts activating his psychic centers, blinking a few times as the energy flows through his body, while he slowly makes his way to the stage.

He activates first body (+2 bonus to Str, Dex, and Con), then Crown (+3 natural armor bonus to AC) en finally Solar (Plexus) (+2 Fort, +1 Ref and Will). Then, if there's still time, he casts touchsight on himself.

Also, scared ****less. :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2015-03-20, 02:33 PM
A heavily cloaked man flips up and over the ropes surrounding the ring. His tattered black hood obscures his face, leaving only his chin and mouth visible.

Suddenly, a drunken hobgoblin calls out "Oi! Drusla and Pike died on that stage! What makes you think you'll do any better?"

The cloaked man just grins, revealing large, pointed canines behind blood red lips.

Moranica
2015-03-20, 02:46 PM
Oh dear, here's to madness and glory.

Drawing out even more time, Scrillio stumbles his way to the stage, the smell around him somehow being 'energetic'.

Once finished he enters the ring, and fails horribly at smiling bravely.

"Ready when you are."

He casts vigor and inertial armor before entering the ring. The smell is literally from his manifesting.
Buffs (I think all of them stay on during metamorphosis, but let me know when I'm wrong)
- Centers 1 hour duration - (+2 phys. stats, +3 nat ac, + 12 temp. hp)
- Touchsight (7 min. dur.)
- Inertial armor (6 hour. dur.) +6 AC
- Vigor (7 min. dur.) + 35 temp hp)

Rizban
2015-03-20, 03:01 PM
"Are you?"

He leaps forward faster than you would have thought possible for him. Your brain barely recognizes that he has moved before his fist impacts your gut.

[roll0] - [roll1] and a DC 14 Fort save if it hits.

Moranica
2015-03-20, 03:09 PM
With the man's fist inches from his body, Scrillio activates his cloack and vanishes, only to reappear 10 feet to the right.

"Yes, you're not so fast, are you? Why don't you try again?"

Having said that, Scrillio's body starts to change, while he flinches slightly. It grows, his hand become talons and his mouth suddenly showing rows of teeth that would dwarf the man's canines.

Before him now stands a Megaraptor, a large dinosaur with menacing claws and teeth. The air is now filled with the smell of electricity.

Using his Shadow Cloack to teleport 10 ft as an immediate action when attacked.
Then on his turn, he uses metamorphosis, overchanneling ([roll0] damage).

His updated stats, including my buffs.
Megaraptor
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 22 hp + 47 temp + 40 from con and HD increase
Initiative: + 3
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15 (+ another 3 nat, 1 from extra dex and 6 AC)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+15
Attack: Talons +11 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: Talons +11 melee (2d6+6) and 2 foreclaws +5 melee (1d4+3) and bite +5 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 17, Con 23, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 14 (Old: Str 21, Dex 15, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10)
Skills: Hide +9, Jump +27, Listen +12, Spot +12, Survival +12
Feats: Run, Toughness, Track

Moranica
2015-03-20, 03:15 PM
Lol, just realised I forgot to bring healing. I am fat on temp. hp and such, but if I get hit to much, I'll need to make it to a store while vigored. :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2015-03-20, 03:16 PM
Living in Aldhaven all your life, and megaraptors not being native to the area or likely to be seen outside of some rather shady places, I'm going to require a Knowledge (nature) check for that one...

Moranica
2015-03-20, 03:21 PM
Not to mention he's pretending to be a DWARF druid... Sure wasn't to bright of me to claim being a druid, basicly limiting myself to animals... Still, this was the best melee thing I could find.
Knowledge nature [roll0]

Rizban
2015-03-20, 05:46 PM
You indeed transform into a megaraptor and add it to the list of forms you can definitely metamorph into without having to make a knowledge check. Woo!

The creature throws back its hood and stares you straight in the eye.

"Kneel."

Will save.

Moranica
2015-03-20, 05:51 PM
Will save [roll0] Definatly jinxed it.

Lol, sweet rolls on the megaraptor, now I need them again!! Also wish I got the wisdom of the megaraptor, it's almost double mijn (15 io. 8) :smallbiggrin:

The megaraptor attempts a poor excuse of a kneeling position. It seems like he really wants to, but his physique clearly wasn't meant for this.

While kneeling he attempts to look around, to see if the room is impressed by his form, or more impressed with his attempts at kneeling.

Rizban
2015-03-20, 06:15 PM
As you start to try to kneel, you feel your new animalistic form shake off the domination. It seems your metamorphosis has saved your life through type change shenanigans.
Just looked up the rules. Metamorphosis changes your type. Dominate person doesn't affect animals...

Moranica
2015-03-20, 06:32 PM
That is .... AWESOME!!!

Seems we are much alike in tactics.

Also, gotta go sleep. Have a bachelor party tomorrow (not my own)

Shaking his head, the megaraptor charges!!

Pouncing
Talons [roll0] ; [roll1] CRIT!
Bite [roll2] ; [roll3]
Claw1 [roll4] ; [roll5]
Claw2 [roll6] ; [roll7]

Confirmation rolls
Talons [roll8] ; [roll9]
Bite [roll10] ; [roll11]
Claw1 [roll12] ; [roll13]
Claw2 [roll14] ; [roll15]

Rizban
2015-03-20, 06:47 PM
Just so we're clear, you're using the errataed version of the megaraptor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#megaraptor), right?
Your talons strike what you think to be a vital location but deal no more damage than usual.
Your teeth clatter off hardened bone, and the sudden jolt of pain in your mouth makes you feel as though you have cracked a tooth.
Both your claws also hit, dealing minimal damage. In fact, your second claw deals only superficial damage no worse than the most minor of paper cuts.

None of the wounds to deal have drawn blood, though some were deep enough that they should have. Some of the wounds you have dealt begin to close shut, vicious scars taking their place.

"Is that your best, little snack?"

Your opponent grabs at your throat and attempts to swing around your neck to your back. He acts so deftly that he does not leave himself open to attack as he does so.
Melee Touch – [roll0]
Grapple – [roll1]

Moranica
2015-03-21, 03:02 AM
I'm not aware of any other. :)

Look at those wonderfull confirmation rolls. :smallbiggrin:

Scrillio attacks once again, ignoring the strange effects.

Talons [roll0] ; [roll1]
Bite [roll2] ; [roll3]
Claw1 [roll4] ; [roll5]
Claw2 [roll6] ; [roll7]

Confirmation rolls
Talons [roll8] ; [roll9]
Bite [roll10] ; [roll11]
Claw1 [roll12] ; [roll13]
Claw2 [roll14] ; [roll15]

Rizban
2015-03-22, 03:55 PM
Only your talons and second claw manage to make contact with flesh, but the claw fails to harm him while the wounds he already has continue to seal themselves. Once more, he tries to grab hold of you, but because of his predilection towards the number 3, he fails spectacularly.

Melee Touch – [roll0]
Grapple – [roll1]

Moranica
2015-03-22, 05:08 PM
Scrillio ponders a bit about who he could be fighting, before striking the manthing once more.

Move action to use knowleges.
Know planes [roll0]
Know nature [roll1]
Know psionics [roll2]
Know religion [roll3]

Talons [roll4]; Know planes [roll5]

Rizban
2015-03-22, 08:10 PM
You misrolled your damage, but that's okay. You missed anyway...
Frustrated at you for constantly slipping through his grasp, the 'manthing' strikes at you once more with his fist.

Slam [roll0] – [roll1] DC 15 Fort Save

The fangs, the pale skin, the focus on trying to latch onto you... Suddenly, everything clicks. This guy's a vampire! No... wait. He's too young, too brash, too careless. He is, at most, a vampire spawn.
Fortunately, it seems like he's incredibly unlucky or just really bad at fighting.

Moranica
2015-03-23, 03:19 AM
Aha, I couldn't figure it out! That's scary!! I am very, very, very happy with my hight AC and touch AC now. :smalleek:

Now I really wish I had the metamorphic transfer feat to have more options. I didn't have room though.

So now I'm looking into some options, other then making this a long stompfest. Of course, the wording in metamorphosis is kinda unclear about what extraordinary qualities would remain, and which would not. Besides not knowing whether or not I even know the creature of course. What are your thoughts on this?

Some of the things I'm looking into atm.
Quanlos (MM 4 p122), basicly let's me put a larvae in it, which slowly consumes it. Could probably be negated by turning gaseous but still something that might be interesting in the future.
Briarvex (MM4 p 26), to hit harder

Frustrated with the fact that his opponent seems well prepared to deal with any damage he dishes out, he tries to hit harder!

Talons ; [roll1]
Bite [1d20+5 ; [roll2]
Claw1 [roll3] ; [roll4]
Claw2 [roll5] ; [roll6]

Moranica
2015-03-23, 03:24 AM
Bite [roll0]

typing error

Rizban
2015-03-23, 12:44 PM
Your claws hit, dealing a total of 3 damage. Fast healing 2 kicks in. He attacks.

Quanlos larvae are considered a poison, as stated in the entry. Undead are immune to poison.

Briarvex is a DC 18 Knowledge (nature) check... Remember, Knowledge checks are non-actions.

Moranica
2015-03-23, 12:49 PM
Scrillio keeps dodging with ease and lays on once more!

Talons [roll0] ; [roll1]
Bite [roll2] ; [roll3]
Claw1 [roll4] ; [roll5]
Claw2 [roll6] ; [roll7]

Rizban
2015-03-23, 04:50 PM
Shouldn't a 19 have hit you?

Moranica
2015-03-23, 04:55 PM
Nope, normal AC is 27. Touch AC is 10 + 3 dex -1 size + 6 force AC = 18

Megaraptor
Size/Type: Large Animal
Hit Dice: 22 hp + 47 temp + 40 from con and HD increase
Initiative: + 3
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 27 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15 (+ another 3 nat, 1 from extra dex and 6 AC)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+15
Attack: Talons +11 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: Talons +11 melee (2d6+6) and 2 foreclaws +5 melee (1d4+3) and bite +5 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 17, Con 23, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 14 (Old: Str 21, Dex 15, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10)
Skills: Hide +9, Jump +27, Listen +12, Spot +12, Survival +12
Feats: Run, Toughness, Track

Rizban
2015-03-23, 05:08 PM
The vampire spawn tries to grapple you again.
Melee Touch – [roll0]
Grapple – [roll1]

Edit: the natural armor of the animal form doesn't stack with the natural armor from the chakra. Same bonus type, doesn't stack.

Moranica
2015-03-23, 05:11 PM
Grapple check [roll0]

Quite the deadlock here. :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2015-03-23, 05:13 PM
the natural armor of the animal form doesn't stack with the natural armor from the chakra. Same bonus type, doesn't stack.

It's your attack.

Moranica
2015-03-23, 05:19 PM
Ah, that's good to know! :)

Talons [roll0] ; [roll1]
Bite [roll2] ; [roll3]
Claw1 [roll4] ; [roll5]
Claw2 [roll6] ; [roll7]

Going to want to change in a Briarvex soon. Knowledge roll for that. [roll8]

Once again, the megaraptor lashes out.

Rizban
2015-03-24, 04:30 PM
Only your talons hit, dealing 7, err... 5 damage after fast healing.

The crowd grows restless with the two of you seemingly unable to do anything worthwhile. You put on a very boring show. Boos and catcalls increase, and it seems as if several other members of the audience are on the verge of joining in themselves...

Rizban
2015-03-24, 04:33 PM
Melee Touch – [roll0]
Grapple – [roll1]

Moranica
2015-03-24, 04:43 PM
I believe that is a hit!

Grapple [roll0]

Rizban
2015-03-24, 04:52 PM
Just as a drunken, angry orc is about to climb into the ring, the vampire spawn manages to wrap his arms around your neck and crawl onto your back. He bears his fangs to sink them into your jugular as the crowd starts to cheer for your demise.

Moranica
2015-03-24, 04:54 PM
I assume he is grappled now?

In the grapple, the Megaraptor goes crazy on the bloodsucker and tries to break free.

Grapple [roll0]

Rizban
2015-03-24, 04:56 PM
The spawn fights to keep his hold...
Grapple – [roll0]
...barely managing to hang on.

Rizban
2015-03-24, 04:58 PM
With a growling shout of glee, the spawn tries to trip you up and force you to the ground.
Grapple – [roll0]
And fails miserably, instead managing only to dislodge himself, freeing you from the grapple.
Landing hard on his rump, the crowd erupts into laughter as he quickly regains his feet.

Moranica
2015-03-25, 02:45 AM
"This getting silly!! I think it's time for some boxing!"

Having said that, Scrillio steps back 5 feet and turns into a Briarvex, a large spiky plant in humanoid shape.

"Fly like a homunculus, sting like a thorny bush....", Scrillio flaps out in his own surprise.

AC is 26, touch AC 17. Grapple +18

Moranica
2015-03-25, 02:47 AM
Scrillio takes [roll0] damage again from overchanneling, but heals the damage from the previous one.

Rizban
2015-03-25, 04:26 PM
The spawn hisses at you in frustration.

"Will you not just die?!"

He hurls himself at you and swing with his fist.

Moranica
2015-03-25, 06:18 PM
"Funny you should say that, can't say the same about you, now can I?"

He swings at the spawn.

Spiked fist 1 [roll0] ; [roll1]
Spiked fist 2 [roll2] ; [roll3]

Rizban
2015-03-30, 01:35 PM
You hit for 11 damage. It seems like that one actually hurt him a bit.

He again tries to grab onto you, apparently not realizing you've become a plant...
Melee Touch – [roll0]
Grapple – [roll1]

Moranica
2015-03-30, 04:25 PM
Scrillio follows up with two quick jabs to the head.

Rizban
2015-03-30, 05:21 PM
The first hits for 9 damage. Fast healing 2.

He howls in rage and tries one more time to grab hold of you.
Melee Touch – [roll0]
Grapple – [roll1]

Moranica
2015-03-30, 05:37 PM
Grapple [roll0]

"What are you trying to hug me for. This is a fighting match, not some treehugging match."

This time he goes for a low punch, followed by an uppercut.

Spiked fist 1 [roll1] ; [roll2]
Spiked fist 2 [roll3] ; [roll4]

Rizban
2015-03-30, 06:51 PM
You easily slip out of his grasp, and your second swing hits 14 damage.

Screeching in pain, he steps back from you and transforms into mist to fly away.

Moranica
2015-03-31, 02:54 AM
Scrillio straightens up from his boxing position, looking angry.

"What's this, you done already? Or is this going to be another one of your tricks?"
Then he looks at the crowd and bartender.

"Don't you have any rules for losers fleeing."

Rizban
2015-03-31, 03:24 AM
You cannot be heard over the shouts of the crowd, both angry and cheering. The barkeep just stands there with his arms crossed and a wicked smirk on his face.

Though gaseous, the spawn is still within reach... for the moment.

Moranica
2015-03-31, 05:55 AM
Scrillio thrusts his fists into the mist in dispair.

Rizban
2015-03-31, 11:11 AM
Your first strike impacts something kind sorta semi-solid but not really. The physics of it defies your brain, but the mist vibrates in a way that produces a shrill screech of anguish before condensing into ash and falling like rain. The equipment the spawn carried reforms in midair and falls to the ground, apparently undamaged. Two attendants swoop in and quickly gather up the gear and start to sweep up the ashes while the half-ogre laughs and approaches you.

"Loser's gear goes to the house. Congratulations though. You win. Honestly surprised me a bit there. My money was on him draining you dry in the first minute."

He only had 4 hp left.
Congratulations. You have managed to survive your first fight and defeat a CR3 monster!

Moranica
2015-03-31, 01:45 PM
Sweet!! It felt really scary (since I was trying to explain his action repetoire with classes, instead of beasties. So until I knew about the spawn he was truly terrifying.

In regards to the meditant switch. Being able to buff like this helps greatly, although I did miss the versatility Metamorphic Transfer would have given me. That one is definatly next!

Scrillio changes back to being a dwarf and smiles, feeling immensely relieved.

"Thank you! It was a long time ago, that I got to use these powers. Kinda reminds me of the old me. Afterall, it wasn't very businessman like. Speaking of which, .. what did I win? Besides having proven to be the champion, like they chanted before.", Scrillio grins.

I see, so he must have known about him being undead. Guess these parts are rather lawless, which should work well for me, especially after turning someone to ashes. ... Technically, it wasn't murder though.

Rizban
2015-03-31, 01:58 PM
"Win? Ha! Your life is all you walk away with. Now, had you made a wager prior to entering the ring..."

He just grins maliciously at you.

Moranica
2015-03-31, 02:08 PM
The dwarf winces at the comment, as if he had hoped to make some profit at least.

"Clever business man, are ya. Well, I won't be fighting for free anymore. They've had a taste of the goods, and it's price has gone up."

"And I still want two of those beers I mentioned earlier. What should I call you, by the way? "

Rizban
2015-03-31, 02:23 PM
"You just call me Boss, and we'll be fine."

He walks back to the bar picks up a keg under his arm and fills two tankards, pouring directly from it, a small bit splashing to the floor. He slams the tankards down on the counter in front of you and puts the keg back down on the floor.

"Two gold."

Moranica
2015-03-31, 02:28 PM
Scrillio pays the man, finishes one of the beers right away, and takes the second one a bit slower.

"Alright, ... Boss, any business owners frequent this place?"

Rizban
2015-03-31, 02:54 PM
He laughs and gestures at the drunken rabble in the room shouting at the next fight in the ring. Shouting in your face over the noise, his breath almost causes you to pass out.

"Does this look like a respectable establishment?" He laughs uproariously, spittle landing precariously close to your drinks.

Moranica
2015-03-31, 04:58 PM
"By Odin, no, but I dunno any other ... establishment that even has clientele in the docks. Where should I look for future business partners?"

Rizban
2015-03-31, 07:28 PM
"Look, you've already got all the information that two drinks will buy you, and I think I've been more than fair with you. Now, if you want to try the ring again... maybe we can talk."

Moranica
2015-04-01, 06:41 AM
The dwarf chuckles. "I already told you, I'm not going in there again, without proper payment. Unless it's against that blackscaled lizard back there. I owe him."

"I guess I'll go have some drinks at another place then." Scrillio then gulps down the last of the beer and heads for the exit.

Rizban
2015-04-02, 01:05 AM
You find yourself back in the Docks. Though some nod at you in respect, others in the tavern jeer at you as you leave.

Moranica
2015-04-02, 02:17 AM
Scrillio ignores the comments that are made, not wanting to give away to much information on himself. Part him was already regretting giving away such a show of force, but another part of him figures it does help opening doors and leads. For now though, he calls it a day. The mental and physical drain of today's business, including experiencing such new circumstances and surroundings, have taken it's toll.

For a small moment Scrillio considers visiting the coffee shop, but eventually decides against it. He starts heading back to the Flint and his bed.

Rizban
2015-04-02, 03:07 AM
He's harassed a bit by the guards as he returns to the city, but he makes it back to the Flint without too much difficulty.

Moranica
2015-04-02, 03:57 AM
Before entering he suddenly realises he almost made a crucial mistake. He goes looking for an alley nearby and changes back to his human shape, before entering the Flint.

Exhausted, Scrillio lays down on his bed, falling asleep right away. This time, his dreams are different, yet similar. It involves a laughing, shouting darkness which in the end is consumed by flames. It causes him to wake up twice during the night. Screaming and flinging his arms wildly, unconsciously striking at both the darkness and the flames.

The next day he heads outside after breakfast, and asks around for the nearest food market.

He'll be looking to buy some mushrooms, possibly of the rarer kind as well. Afterall, his dwarven druidic merchant guise just became a thing to build upon, and he needs to have some merchandise sampling, just in case.

Rizban
2015-04-03, 03:19 PM
It's almost like you want me to afflict him with a soul devouring dream demon... as opposed to the one or more demons he's already met face to face... Oh, hell, the more the scarier.He is directed to the open air farmer's market in South Market not far from Eastgate. Should he go there, he comes across something like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a0/Layyah_fruit_vegetable_market.jpg), though towards one end he starts to find higher quality stands selling more expensive, imported goods. On the far side of the farmers market is a row of stands that form a kind of semi-permanent flea market.

Moranica
2015-04-03, 03:52 PM
Lol, mostly I'm just trying to represent his subconsious shying away from anything dangerous, since he was raised in quite a protected environment. During the day, to achieve his goals he is constantly battling his fear and repressing his instincts. This has some repurcusions in the form of nightmare's. And besides that, I also like to give a DM easy options to insert hints etc. ... or mind eating demons ... if there's a plot behind it, of course. :smallbiggrin:

Scrillio heads over to the more expensive part, getting a good look at all the different stalls and what kind of people shop here.

Rizban
2015-04-03, 04:06 PM
Well, there's at least one evil dream demon floating around the city. Last I remember, it was either in Perry or Ishmael. One or the other was trying to rid themselves of it while the other was considering embracing it for power. Neither plan was going very well. However, Scrillio's dreams match really, really closely with the way the demon introduced itself and took hold of a person's mind... So, that's a thing that just might happen.

I'm a bit brain burned at the moment. So... make something up for what you find. Okay? I'll flesh it out a bit and make it fit.

Moranica
2015-04-03, 04:12 PM
That sounds scary. Scrillio would definetly try to get rid of it as well. He doesn't have a keen interest for demonology. Could lead to some interesting interactions at the university though.

I have no experience as a player with such demons or the way it works, so I can't judge how applicable it is or not.

Rizban
2015-04-03, 04:15 PM
I meant for you to describe the market scene...

Moranica
2015-04-03, 04:41 PM
I was a bit to quick. And will do!

As Scrillio enters the market he is greeted by the heavy smell of food, both fresh and rotten. It makes his nose tingle a little, but he's used to worse. Growing up in the slums meant he never actually visited this place, but in some ways it reminded him a bit of his home district. The crowdedness and constant buzz are a welcome sight after yesterdays experiencing the docks. Clearly though, this is a much wealthier place then the slums, merchants wearing proper clothing, servants buying groceries for their masters and a distinct lack of beggars.

Feeling relaxed he decides to get some breakfast and strolls around while eating it. The cheaper end of the market is the busiest, filled with simple stalls selling ordinary foodstuffs in large quantities. Most likely this is also where the local farmers come and sell their wares, bringing in fresh products on a daily basis.

I wonder if this is where the Flint get's it's food. The diners are always nice enough.

Scanning the stalls Scrillio does find some cheap, common variants of mushrooms, but not something that would be a likely product to import.

Oeh, you are such an idiot. Now you've got to spend some actual money on a disguise which was made up in a split second. I've really got to think these things through next time. ... Alright, I guess I'll check out the expensive part next.

The richer part of the market clearly caters to a different clientele. Some of the buyers seem to be merchants, or well dressed servants (most likely for nobility) and the stalls themselves look nicer as well. Some seem to be constructed in a more permanent fashion and some even have mercenary guards hugging the stalls. It doesn't take Scrillio long, before he finds a dwarven merchant, who seems to specialise in spectacular dwarven ales, but also has some other interesting wares for sale. Including some kind of mushroom Scrillio has never seen before.

[Dwarven]"Good morning, sir, how's business today?"

Rizban
2015-04-03, 07:26 PM
[Dwarven]"Fair enough. Shipments are running late due to the weather, but I've still got a fine selection of fine meads, ales, and brews for you. What was it you were interested in?"

Moranica
2015-04-04, 03:38 AM
"I'm looking for rare mushrooms. I've got a client who's interested is such things, but I know little about them. Do you have such available at the moment?"

Bluff [roll0]

Rizban
2015-04-04, 02:23 PM
He scratches his beard and sniffs.

"What's he want 'em for?"

Moranica
2015-04-05, 04:35 PM
"I actually don't know, but knowing his expensive taste for food and drink, it's probably something like that."

Rizban
2015-04-05, 05:21 PM
He sniffs., tilting his head back and forth while thinking.

"Eh, I could sell you somethin', but not knowing his tastes, I'm not sure it'd do you any good."

He sighs and shrugs, stops holding his chin, and reaches behind him to lift a small puffy mushroom out of a lock box.

"This is an incredibly rare delicacy, worth many times its weight in platinum. It takes great skill and care to find and harvest them."

He waves it under your nose and holds it for you to examine, quickly snatching it back if you looks as if you are reaching for it.

Moranica
2015-04-06, 05:35 AM
Knowlegde nature check to see if it isn't a common variety.

Also, sense motive [roll]1d20+1

"Interesting, what makes it so special, besides the needed effort to get it?"

Scrillio looks at it suspiciously, realising he has no way to validate whether this man is telling the truth.

Moranica
2015-04-06, 05:37 AM
Also, sense motive [roll0]

Rizban
2015-04-06, 02:37 PM
The mysterious mushroom (http://weirdcrime.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/green-mushroom.jpeg) is unidentifiable by you despite your knowledge. It's just that uncommon. He seems to be telling the truth.

He leans in close and whispers to you.
"This fungus is the secret to long, long life. Proper use makes you effectively immortal for a time. They're furiously guarded by kappas and must be smuggled from their lands."

Moranica
2015-04-06, 03:04 PM
"I see, that sounds like something my client would be interesting in, indeed. What's it called, and how are you supposed to benefit from this mushroom?"
Scrillio looks genuinly interested now. This could help out Theria's grandmother, if it works.

"On a side note, what does it cost?"

Rizban
2015-04-06, 03:19 PM
"Shh!

Breaking off a tiny, tiny portion and brewing it in a tea will cure any poison or disease and make you feel younger for a time. A single mushroom can be used this way at least 20 times, but using it like this even once ruins the most interesting effect. Simply carrying an undamaged mushroom on your person so that it touches your skin will revive you to life should you be killed unexpectedly, but, sadly, does nothing against death from old age. Rather, it does work, but you'll die again immediately, because your body just can't support life any longer. So, it's a waste."

He looks around nervously as if making sure there's no one else getting too close.

"For a fellow dwarf, I'll sell it for 5,000gp. I carry one on myself at all times. They're well worth it."

Moranica
2015-04-06, 03:34 PM
Swallowing hard, he answers, in a normal voice, being oblivious to the man's hints.

"What...., that is miraculous. I understand why they are so rare. Everyone would want to carry one arround. Unfortunely, I don't have that much money on me right now and will need to consult with my client. Will you be here tomorrow? And do you sell pieces of it as well?"

"I'd also like to know the name of the mushroom."

Moranica
2015-04-13, 04:14 PM
Busy times? :smallbiggrin:

Rizban
2015-04-13, 04:45 PM
"Ha! No, I would not destroy such a precious resource by breaking it up. If you wish to do so yourself with your own mushroom, you may. Come back when you have the money.

It is called a Wuh'Nupp."
Oops! Sorry! Somehow, I missed seeing your response or forgot or something. Nudge me sooner next time!

Moranica
2015-04-14, 08:42 AM
"Alright, I will return when I have the money. Till then!"

Scrillio leaves the market, and heads over to the slums once more. Along the way he finds a place to change into the dwarven businessman, before heading on.

Will do!

Rizban
2015-04-15, 05:17 AM
You are once again a dwarf and encounter nothing other than the same hassles as last time.

Moranica
2015-04-15, 06:53 AM
This time, Scrillio decides to investigate some of boats that are anchored here. Particulairly those showing activity with loading and unloading.

As usual he explores the entire harbor, before picking a vessel.

Rizban
2015-04-15, 08:04 PM
There are two boats docked at the third dock out, Piers 5 and 6. They are of the same build and fly the same colors, apparently belonging to the same fleet. Both are obviously shallow draft river boats designed for carrying cargo and passengers up and down the river.

Moranica
2015-04-16, 02:17 PM
Scrillio heads over to the vessel at pier 5.

"Hi there, any here?", he shouts enthousiastically.

Rizban
2015-04-18, 12:09 AM
The boat, which has no extended gangway, bobs in the water silently...

Moranica
2015-04-18, 04:23 AM
I guess nobody's home.

He looks around, scanning for people that might know more about this boat.

Rizban
2015-04-22, 05:06 AM
It doesn't appear that there is anyone around... The docks are eerily still and quiet, with only the lapping of the waters and creaking of the ships to keep you company...

Moranica
2015-04-22, 08:44 AM
An eerie feeling creeps up in Scrillio's stomach. Something doesn't seem right.

He decides to take no chances and casts touchsight and activates his meditations, after which he quickly hurries to the other boat.

"Anyone here?", he shouts there.

Rizban
2015-04-24, 05:25 AM
You detect two vaguely humanoid shapes clutched onto the bottom of the pier on which you stand.

There is no answer from the other boat...