PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed anti monk

Shadowscale
2015-02-10, 08:49 PM
Akin to how the antipaladin and paladin are similar but inverses, what would the chaotic version of a monk be like with similar abilities? (not a barbarian or bard.) Does a prestiege class for ex monks exist like with druids and paladins?

Blackhawk748
2015-02-10, 09:12 PM
Akin to how the antipaladin and paladin are similar but inverses, what would the chaotic version of a monk be like with similar abilities? (not a barbarian or bard.) Does a prestiege class for ex monks exist like with druids and paladins?

The Battle Dancer? They are Chaotic Monks essentially

Psyren
2015-02-10, 09:14 PM
There's a Chaos Monk in Dragon Mag IIRC, though I forget which one.

Ephemeral_Being
2015-02-10, 09:17 PM
There's a Chaos Monk in Dragon Mag IIRC, though I forget which one.

Chaos Monk is in Dragon 335. If you ever want to look up where a class is, this is a decent list (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9028.0).

Karl Aegis
2015-02-10, 09:39 PM
There are no rules for Ex-Monks. An Expert can do most of what a monk can do with proper skill selection and wealth by level.

The Insaniac
2015-02-10, 09:39 PM
I'd consider barbarian to be an "anti-monk" of sorts. Philosophically opposite rather than nice and mechanically symmetrically opposite.

Curmudgeon
2015-02-10, 09:51 PM
There are no rules for Ex-Monks.
I beg to differ. From the class description:
Ex-Monks

A monk who becomes nonlawful cannot gain new levels as a monk but retains all monk abilities.

torrasque666
2015-02-10, 09:52 PM
I'd consider barbarian to be an "anti-monk" of sorts. Philosophically opposite rather than nice and mechanically symmetrically opposite.

This actually makes sense. While Monks are focused on defensive abilities(seriously, AC, immunities, Evasion, SR, eventual DR) the Barbarian is all about getting in their face, smashing in said face, and moving to the next face. Its main ability is about strengthening its offense while decreasing its defense.

Taelok
2018-03-05, 08:31 PM
Apologies for necroing a thread, it was in my search results for antimonk. I'm working with my DM in 5e on what it possibly would mean to be an antimonk. My monk recently witnessed a monastery elder, which he had close personal ties with, get executed. He had the opportunity to subdue the elder and egress, but the elder refused aid in hopes of gathering more intel before sunrise and then escape. Circumstances prevented his body being recovered and has since found no evidence of the execution. My monk refused to believe what he saw, his elder was too good to go down like that. Time passes and still no word of his escape. Still more time goes by and our party runs into the rest of the elder's field unit. They confirm he has yet to report back in. With all the guilt on my monk's conscience and the misplaced faith in his elder and art, he chose to look away from the school. His thoughts are, if the art wasn't enough to save the elder, how could it be enough to save him?

So here we are, no longer a monk of that school, but that's all he's ever known. My DM and I came up with a new monastic tradition which will eventually be a new school if things work out. My monk is forsaking the unarmored AC and dexterity build of your typical monk, and instead has created, through alchemy, metallury, and religion (Forge), a potion that grants ironskin. Ironskin is a special form of heavy armor and the tradition is based on strength instead of dexterity. His AC is a progressive formula of STR mod + 14, going up by 2 at the typical archetypal milestone levels. He still has command of ki, uses unarmed strikes and monk weapons, and progresses as a monk, but he choses to harden his skin and take or deflect the blow rather than attempt to dodge.

So as an antimonk, he is still lawful and progresses through discipline and training, but he has lost faith and refuses to put his trust in anyone but himself and the avatar of the Forge which was his muse in creating the Way of Iron.

Falontani
2018-03-05, 08:44 PM
I tend to agree, a monk's core philosophy is perfection of the self, spiritually, mentally, and physically. So the antithesis of a monk would be one that goes as far from that as possible, using drugs, alchemy, and technology to help bolster his form while being willing to literally damn one's soul all while being raving mad.

Roland St. Jude
2018-03-05, 11:11 PM
Sheriff: Please don't: 1) thread necro and 2) acknowledge that your violating the forum rules and do it anyway.