PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Capitalism, Ho! A Trade Caravan Game

Princess K
2015-02-10, 09:51 PM
Casellone, the city on the lake. Day by day, burly men with great nets go fishing in that great lake, and day by day, scrawny urchins with quick fingers go fishing in their pockets. Drunks suck drops of cheap ale from dirty bottles while nobles in luxuriant robes sip wine and honey from jeweled goblets, but all vomit onto the same worn cobblestones in the end. Casellone is a city at once more stratified and yet more egalitarian than any other; the only thing that differentiates beggar from prince is gold… and there are many ways to get gold for anyone with the wits and audacity to try.

Kellen Silvertouch has both, though some would argue more of the latter.

At the moment, Kellen Silvertouch is running, wincing as every staccato step sends a steel bolt through her skull. Something about Piacenzan nights always drew her back into her old habits. But then, what bard – or anyone, really – didn’t relish the joys of wine, women and song? From her canteen she pours a gulp of lukewarm water down her throat as she navigates the streets of Casellone, heading for the bustling trade district. After all, she really shouldn’t be late for her own meetings.

The Festival of Fortune begins in twelve days. This seven day celebration is marked by parades, feasting and even more drinking than usual; it’s rumored the Prince of Casellone has something special prepared for the festivities.

Bandits and highwaymen have developed an unusually high presence on routes to Haven. Traders are having a tough time getting through, but Piacenzan goods – mostly fine liquor and pieces of artwork – find eager markets.

Rumor has it that someone in Prince Matteo of Aielli’s household has fallen deathly ill. The prince has been requisitioning unicorn horns, paying a great premium.

A couple of tomb raiders were recruiting “strong hands” and “quick fingers” for a job. Apparently they’ve found the lost tomb of some old prince or whatnot, and his place is bound to be full of gold and artifacts. You got a glance at their map and could point it out. Can’t take time to join a bunch of tomb raiders, but… it wouldn’t be hard to get there first.
Rumor has it the increase in banditry along routes to Haven isn’t random. There are whispers that a group calling themselves the Tacks-Men are organizing things in the shadows. The pun indicates that particularly Piacenzan sense of humor. They’ve raided a lot of goods that are just lying around somewhere…

Rumor has it that the leadership in Tavan is planning to officially ban the import of Harlot Sweets into the country. Prices in Tavos have already begun to incline and will only continue to do so if the law comes into effect.

Apparently Mei Xia’s got some lycanthrope problems. They’re looking for alchemically silvered weapons, and they’re looking for them now.
The arcanist-lord Jathel at Castle Hope has begun new alchemical experiments on what rumormongers are calling “cold powder.” Whatever it is, they’re quietly buying a lot more gunpowder than the Havenites would usually use… and the body parts of ice drakes?

“You didn’t hear this from me.” Rumor has it Haven’s government is about to throw its lot in with the Aviraxi and officially embargo Ea. The Eans get almost all of their magical products from Haven; they lose that and desperation is sure to set in...
“Shh! There’s a very, very profitable secret hidden under Concordat. If you’re ever in the city, go to the Gildpact headquarters and ask for Gregoir. Tell him a little bird sent you.”

The game is afoot! You’ve just had a day’s leave after trading in Casellone. You’ve had time to gather information on your own, of course, as well as enjoy yourself however you’d have liked. Now, Tolman & Sons is coming back together to share information and discuss what to do next to maximize profits!

There’s always a lot going on. Which leads are reliable? Which are profitable? Well, who really knows?

Karsh
2015-02-10, 10:22 PM
Haldran had had a good day.

He was pleased when Kellen announced she'd be steering the caravan towards Casellone. After the stint they'd done in several of the smaller towns on the eastern border of Haven, Haldran had completed a number of new components for his Model, and he had been eager to integrate them into the gargantuan array of alchemical and arcane components. He'd checked in with the Dean to give an update on the long-term thrust of his research, and had taken several meetings with graduate students at the University which he advised from the road. Things looked like they were going well at the University, if the new imported crystal wine glasses in the Dean's office were any indication. Based on the pattern of students moving about, he wagered that a couple of underqualified noble scions had found their way into the school yet again.

He picked up some interesting news on the goings-on from his assistants and passed off a few of the simpler adjustments that would need to be made to the Model to fully integrate the new components before heading out to the streets to follow up on some leads and get a feel for the state of the city. After a few hours of asking around, he made his way to the rendezvous point with mixed emotions.

His usual eagerness to share what he'd learned had been thoroughly and noticeably tempered. Normally he would be almost smugly bursting at the seams to share the snippets he'd collected, but mentally torn by some of the news as he was, Haldran was uncharacteristically quiet and introspective.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-10, 11:32 PM
Commander Hawkeye counted his coins again, just to be sure, but there was an extra silver he couldn't account for. Someone must have given him too much change.

Just as he was giving up trying to figure out who it could have been, a begger approached him, and he flicked the shiny coin into the man's cup as he pushed past him.

He had overseen much of the buying and selling, as he usually preferred to do, and even reaped a small enough bounty for catching pick pockets that he bought himself some ale. Haldran had been exiting another building when Hawkeye left the tavern, and so the old guard captain followed elf for a ways.

When the scholar left to go root up some secrets, Hawkeye gave him a small blessing, and left him.

With a little help of his own, he set off to discover some of the seeder secrets. When he managed to get back on time, and sober enough to walk, he counted the day well wasted.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-11, 05:30 AM
Fizz wakes up groggily and peels herself away from the furry bulk that's taking up most of her tent. Yawning, she makes her way outside to sort her daily ablutions. But it's not until her way back that she looks up and notices the city.
Amber eyes light up as she sprints back to her little cart, squeeing happily
A town that wasn't TAVAN, oh this would be fun
Speeding through her chores she scuttles into the streets in search of fun

Escheton
2015-02-11, 09:49 AM
Ah, Casselone. He knew the place well. Be that most his stay was decades ago. Things change over time, but there are 2 things that will never change. They have good fish and cheap wine. Not to mention some mighty fine cider if you're looking for something fresh during the day.
The lake, and distance to both the sea and the equator makes for some of the best grape and apple country you could wish for.
So Bolrim spent most his day off on a bender, stuffing his face with fish and generally causing a ruckus. Say what you wish, but the dwarf is surprisingly charming when drunk. Thought that might be the rounds talking.

Encountering some un-agreeably fellows in a dockside tavern called "The Brazen Barnacle" he found himself in an all-out melee. Punching out overconfident thugs whilst mostly focused on not spilling his ale. Good times, good times...
When the guards came, he had just lifted one of the last remaining conscious chaps over his shoulders, ready for a round of caber-tossing.
Bolrim was kind of disappointed at their timing, as he was really wanting to see if he could make it to the water from the front-door.

Although the property damage was minimal and he was only defending himself, be it that he might have gotten carried away before the end, they brought him downtown nontheless. Where instead of being arrested proper, his familiarity with procedure and oddly specific questions quickly gave him away as a colleague. Not having broken any laws he ended up in the bullpen instead of the locker, sharing anecdotes of his own days as a rooky Inspector, whilst drinking the coffee they insisted he had.

Once sobered up a bit and some insider knowledge wiser he was free to walk. A good thing too, the Fighter had somewhere to be...

tonberryking
2015-02-11, 10:17 AM
The simple act of being able to chose where one eats without parental or clerical supervision remains an amazing, novel idea to the former Dracmar.

With her signet ring sundered, Sophie notes that with each passing day the light skin band around her finger is fading; this time she noticed in between courses of several dishes. The restaurant she'd chosen was near the church district of the area and she'd kept her ears out, and her temper in as much check as she could manage. That had helped her actually find out some things... Of course, being the biggest cleric in town, with an equally big sword by her side was bound to cause some problems. And not just realizing she'd have to tip that poor, confused waitress extra because Aquilonia made her yell that the salt shaker was empty or when she read the the riot act to a server after he forgot her wild potato stew. Several religious types, notably paladins from the look of them, gave her more scrutiny than the town guards did, and with a meal no longer in front of her, the urge to shove a chair up their noses for suspecting her of evil was growing. Making her a bit twitchy.

At least, she sighed, she was getting better about picking up on her own urges, but Sophie tries to leave without listening anymore. Instead of tidbit of trade or work, she'd probably be hearing jabs about the giant woman, or jokes about stilts... about how her hair was a dye job and she'd *have* to teach them a lesson in manners before bringing the whole eatery down on top of their heads, laughing and yelling in triump--

"It's time to go, Aquilonia..." she whispers.

The urges settle, but only for the time being.

AtS
2015-02-11, 10:54 AM
Anna could barely contain her glee. Casellone was on her shortlist of Places to Visit in Alarun in no small part to the wealth of knowledge available at Casellone University, her mentor's alma mater. Although Haldran also taught classes at Anna's university back in Tavan, this is where the well-traveled scholar's journey began. Plus, this would give her a chance to see her mentor's masterwork firsthand - an integrated, alchemic-arcane Economic Model of the world of Alarun. Though she and Haldran had talked extensively of his Model in the past, Anna's understanding of the Elf's device is rudimentary at best.

With a whole free day ahead of her, Anna planned to stop by Haldran's office to examine the Model, and observe her professor using the device. Then, it was off to the library to scour historical records for as much information about Casellone as she could muster. Then, she'd top off the day with a simple meal at the campus pub before the caravan meeting that evening.

While in the library, Anna takes some time among the quiet stacks of dusty tomes to start scratching out a letter she had been meaning to write for quite some time. Accompanied by a book of Casellone political figures' biographies, Anna alternates between lazily browsing its pages for any interesting figures of note, and writing lines of her letter to her father. She hadn't given him a proper goodbye when she left Tavan, something she still regrets. To top it off, the first few weeks of her internship were such a whirlwind of trading, introductions, and learning that she'd had no time to think, let alone write home.

Pen to parchment, Anna writes.

Father,

I know it's been a while since you've heard from me. I'm writing to let you know that I'm doing fine - my sophomore year is finishing strong, and my second-year internship has just started. I've been traveling with Tolman and Sons trading caravan for the past three weeks. As one of the newest members of the company, I haven't had too many responsibilities yet, but I'm hoping to change that soon. I've actually been helping care for the horses so far, but you know how I am with animals. To say the least, things have been interesting.

We're in Casellone now, a Piacenzan city with a university that puts Tavan University to shame. You should see it, I'm sitting in a lakeside library tower as I write this. The air is fresh and filled with gull calls echoing from over the lake. And yes, I'm spending a nice day in a library tower. I did it back home, I'm still doing it out here, but I promise I'll take a walk soon.

I meant to tell you I was leaving before I left, but after that fight, I couldn't even look at you - a drunken shadow of your former self - well, I was just too frustrated with you to even come see you. I'm sorry. I really am, and I hope you're not too cross with me. I'm not sure when I'll be back home, but I promise that I'll stop by the next time we're near Tavan.

Please take care of yourself, dad.

- Anna

After the ink dries, Anna rolls up the parchment and stows it in her haversack. Though her relationship with her father is rough at times, she still wants him to know that she's safe. She grabs a quick bite to eat from the university pub and then starts her walk back to meet with the others.

I'll have to ask the group about a reliable courier after the meeting tonight, she thinks on her way back to the rendezvous point.

Princess K
2015-02-11, 02:30 PM
The Casellone warehouse that belongs to Tolman & Sons is a shadow of its former glory. Once, the building smelled of saffron and myrrh and gleamed with grand treasures. Now, a fine layer of dust coats every surface and the room is cluttered with nothing more than crates of junk. There might still be items of some value hidden amongst the trash, Kellen supposes, but it would take a very keen eye or many, many hours of searching to dig anything worthwhile up. For the members of Tolman & Sons, their time is probably worth more than anything they could find.

First to arrive - good form! - the woman whistles a cheerful tune, working a spot of prestidigitation to banish the dust from the heavy table and chairs. That done, she gratefully leans back into a seat. Idly, her hands flip a worn gold coin again, again, again, as she waits for the rest of the company to arrive.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-11, 03:00 PM
Fizz bursts in through the door with a sound few wold expect from a small creature and bustles in, humming tunelessly until she spots Kellen

"Hiya boss!" she declares loudly "Good Day? Didja know there was gonna be a party? Never been to one big enough for a city before unless ya count that parade a while back"

She dives into a chair and begins emptying cheap trinkets from her pockets

Escheton
2015-02-11, 03:08 PM
Bolrim slowly awakes, convinced he heard something. Hand instinctively reaching for his chain. But before it reaches completely the mind-fog clears enough that he remembers where exactly it was that he chose to take a nap.
He lies there for a moment, among the dust and grime, thinking it's nice to sleep. He rarely gets the chance...
As the chiming of a spinning coin starts to consume what attention he has to focus, he figures he could use some refreshment.

From her place at the table, Kellen can hear a soft remote mumble coming from the crates. Followed by a sudden appearance of a large quantity of water in mid-air. Crashing to the ground with a splash after hovering in the air for a brief moment. Followed by a very wet dwarf clambering his way up from the crates.

Bolrim gives a subtle upward nod at the bard, saying both "hey" and "what's up?" as he slowly and silently walks towards the table. Well, the man is silent, his gear certainly isn't. Another mumbling under-breath, followed by water gushing out from every opening of the dwarfs thick steel armor, halfway through the approach.
Silently he sits down, and stares at the ground in a half-squat on the bench. Looking either contemplative or nauseous. Hard to tell.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-11, 03:26 PM
Commander Hawkeye heard the whistling as he approached and grimaced. He didn't like to get to work after the boss, but it sounded like he had wasted more of his day than she had. He checked over his armor briefly, and then marched inside, sitting down into a chair across from his employer.

Catch any good rumors while you were out drinking, and cavorting? The eagerness of his voice made it clear that he had.

AtS
2015-02-11, 04:52 PM
Anna enters the warehouse, glancing around at her colleagues. She takes a seat at the table next to the gruff, dripping dwarf. "What happened to you?" she whispers to Bolrim, simultaneously stowing her bag under her seat.

Princess K
2015-02-11, 07:08 PM
"Hoy, Fizz," Kellen responds. "Always good to have some time off after a while on the road. Not so many comfortable chairs, warm drinks and pretty barmaids out there in the wilderness." A localized indoor deluge draws her attention to a stocky figure emerging from behind the crates. "Bolrim! Got a little too deep in the drink?" she jokes, light amusement in her eyes.

As the rest of the company begins to file in, Kellen greets each with a friendly wave. To Hawkeye, she nods. "The usual nonsense: coin changing hands, a deal in Tavos, browbeating an official or two and, ah... cavorting." She flashes her teeth in a smile. "I did do actual work as well! Cross my heart." She catches her coin and taps it twice onto the table, leaning toward Hawkeye. "I'd wager you've heard something though, walking around in that. Give the rest a few minutes to get here and we'll go for some show and tell. We had a good run in Casellone; let's see if anyone's heard anything that could weigh down our purses a little more, eh?"

darklink_shadow
2015-02-11, 07:23 PM
Hawkeye's often rare grin spread across his whole face. He felt comfortable around these people, and he relaxed considerably after sitting down.

I tell you, this armor makes everyone and his mother think I have some princeling or another's ear. I think the day this stop making people fear I'll bring the law down on them is the day I start believing you when you say you did real work. Chuckling, Hawkeye gave the soaking dwarf a grin, but didn't say anything. The look of approval was clear, however.

Karsh
2015-02-11, 08:45 PM
Haldran was nearly the last to arrive. He'd taken a detour back to the University after spending the day working the town. He'd gradually pieced together some rather dire news for the state of Ea's rebellion, which naturally presented an excellent chance to test the real-world applications of his Model. He'd burst in on two surprised graduate students in his wing of the University and unceremoniously thrown them out while he went to work making the necessary adjustments to Model the impact of such an embargo on the country.

The news was less than good, though it would certainly create opportunity for those who, in addition to having the wherewithal and resources, were human to make quite a bit of profit. His face grew grave as he recalled those wasted years. If those arrogant fools had listened to him, maybe they would have managed to crowd out the domestic producers of some of the more essential resource-heavy goods and Haven would have to think thrice before crossing the trading partner. Instead, those damn humans had stuck their nose up at doing any more business than was absolutely necessary with "those mongrels," and this was where it got them.

Haldran entered the warehouse in a more somber mood than usual, flicking a hand at a nearby crate while uttering a brief invocation. An unseen force hastily scrubbed away at the crate, leaving a sparkling surface for him to take a seat. "There's certainly a lot going on. I'd expect no less from Casellone."

The elf's eyes fixed on the sopping dwarf for a moment. "Bolrim, you should have gotten up when you rolled over twenty minutes ago. I don't know how many times I have to tell you that those extra few minutes make it that much harder to rouse oneself."

Looking around the room, Haldran sighed. "Honestly... I apologize that I didn't prepare enough Alchemist's Kindness. If I'd thought that we were going to stay as long as we have, I'd have picked up extra cocoa in Aielli. I'll have to remember to synthesize some before we make it to the next town as long as we're staying in Piacenza."

darklink_shadow
2015-02-11, 09:21 PM
Hawkeye frowned at the alchemist, but laughed, reaching over to back the dwarf. Alchemist's Kindness?! For a dwarf? He'd never! He'd be the laughingstock of all dwarves everywhere. Harharhar. Next he'll shave off his beard and sip wine. Ahem, but, ah, I'm sure the boss would love some. Lightweight that she is.

Knowing full well that she wasn't, Hawkeye laughed before readying himself to dodge whatever she threw at him.

Escheton
2015-02-11, 09:24 PM
Feeling the excess of last night, Bolrim looks up and acknowledges everyone's effort at engaging him when they do. But stays silent nonetheless. The elf in particular gets nothing more than a knowing look and the faintest sign of a smirk. As they both know Bolrim has been taking watch for 3 weeks straight and he hadn't actually slept since Tavan.

Starting to wake up proper, the dwarf stands up and paces around a bit. Doing some lunges and various stretches, along with a few dozen push-ups. Just to get the blood-flow going, more than anything else. The familiar clanging of his armor and chain resonating from him as he does so.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-11, 09:25 PM
Fizz looks up from a piece of waxed paper she was busy extracting something exceedingly sticky from when she heard Haldran's statement
"If you have a hangover all you had to do was ask" she chirps "Though I suppose I am running low myself."
She rummages into her haversack and places a pair of tiny bottles on the table, taking a second to unstick them from her grubby fingers
"Though you really shouldn't drink if you can't handle it" she chides sunnily

tonberryking
2015-02-11, 10:52 PM
"I know a few other hangover cures..." Sophie gently announces her presence with her demure voice, and a sudden, dull krunk of sheathed metal violently, carelessly tossed onto her end of the table. "No, Aquilonia, I didn't mean that and you know it!" she hisses at the sword on the table before all prim and properly seats herself and smooths out her skirts and surcoat.

She still seems somewhat surprised these guys are keeping her around, frankly.

"Although, I haven't interrupted anything, have I? I was a little delayed over by the church quarter; they didn't serve Oxtail soup at this lovely restaurant I was at and so I had to wait for wild potato instead... Um... she looks down at her lap, "I did hear a few things about town, though. That is what you wanted me to do, right?" Oh gods, why ARE they keeping her around? To make fun of?! No... No don't start jumping to conclusions like the cranky sword tends to. They want you as a healer, not as an entrepreneur... Or they need a warrior who can crush her enemies, see them driven before her and to hear the lametati-- No. Stop it Aquilonia, you're embarrassing us..."

Sophie laughs nervously. "Oh! Right, where was I!? Yous ee, it's a lesser known fact that, um, a bacon sandwich and coffee is a simple hangover cure; yet you have gypsies and hedge herbalists recommending everything else under the sun! Um... please don't stare at me... I know other things, really... Did anyone hear the one about the need for unicorn horn? That sounds like ghastly business, really... I like the treasure hunting one better, myself..."

Princess K
2015-02-11, 10:57 PM
"Haldran," Kellen greets the arcanist. Glancing around at the eclectic assemblage before her, she says, "I do hope Sophie hasn't gotten hurt. Or, far more likely, I hope she hasn't hurt some other poor sap." Upon her timely arrival, "Hoy! Welcome to my glorious estate. Glad see you made it in one piece."

Kellen responds to Hawkeye's jibe with an exaggerated glare, flicking her coin at his head. "Oi!" With a bright chuckle, "Just because I'm not a solid block of cold iron or whatever Bolrim's made of... as if you wouldn't drown before outdrinking me, Hawks!"

She turns to Fizz, lifting one of the bottles in hand. "Though, in the interest of being sharp for this, I'll take you up on that offer. Thanks, Fizz," she lifts the bottle to her lips, pausing warily before drinking the liquid inside. "If this is diluted shrieking paste or something instead of alchemist's kindness, I'm strapping you to the underside of my horse for a week."

With everyone gathered, Kellen leans back in her seat once more. "Now, for business," she began. "Any word around town to give us an action plan? I think you mentioned a treasure hunt?"

Popping up a quick edit, sorry! Tonberry slipped in while I was composing the post at first, it seems.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-12, 07:48 AM
Fizz titters
"I wouldn't" she replies innocently "not on purpose anyway, and I learned my lesson about keeping things in clearly labelled jars when that mandrake seed went missing and in my defense, powdered grin looks a lot like salt anyway"

Since no-one seems to want it, Fizz moves to put away the other bottle

darklink_shadow
2015-02-12, 08:22 AM
Hawkeye tapped the wood of the table with the old coin Kellan had thrown at him. I heard about the treasure hunt as well. It's a little ways away from here, but no real walk for any of us. Probably something we could go out to ourselves while our grunts go about loading up the goods we are going to sell. Now obviously we'll want to be back here for the Festival of Fortune, drunk saps buying up anything cheap and shiny is a good market. Plus, we can sell off any random bits of junk we have if we market them right. Plus, I hear the Princeling has got something big planned, and I want to be here when it backfires on him like that time ... or that was another Prince. Either way, they are often fun to watch. But that's twelve whole days away. Enough time to waltz on over to this crypt and grab anything not nailed down, head back up to Tavos and arrive here before the best spots are taken. The price of Harlot Sweets seems to be awfully high over there. There's a few other places with goods that they want to get rid of, and people begging to get them, but none of them close enough to not miss out on the festival, I think.

But we'd best be careful. Those 'tackmen seem to have some connections to the prince. At least that's what those down and out seem to think. Finding some proof of that connection would be a very nice little trinket to sell off to our corrupt prince's enemies, if it's true. If not, I'd like to find proof he isn't and sell that. Either way, I'd also like to clear up the bandits, if we have a chance.

After that, he flicked the coin in the air and caught it, before setting it on the table, and seeming to make some note of the way it landed. As if fate had called her, the great white ape entered the little warehouse with a hoot. Hey, there's my good girl. Where have you been, huh? Off climbing around the roof tops, stealing pies again?

The albino hooted again, and crawled into a chair at the table, before giving the table a thump and hooting once more. Glad you had a good day. But we're discussing our plans. Did you overhear anything worth repeating?

The ape made a few hoots and grunts in rapid succession, to which Hawkeye replied Really? Well, we'll have to keep that in mind.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-12, 08:33 AM
"About the bandits" Fizz pipes up "I mean, I hadn't heard about the princey stuff or anything, but I agree we want to get rid of them, but uh, I was thinking that at the moment they ARE making it harder to get good booze around here. So well, what if we were to head out, pick up stock, and then come back and take care of the bandits but sort of... not tell anyone? Until we'd sold our stuff anyway"

Fizz looks up to see if anyone's mad before poking through her pile of candy again and mumbling "just an idea anyway"

darklink_shadow
2015-02-12, 08:38 AM
Hawkeye frowned, and then nodded. Sage enough, I suppose. As long as the bandits are gone, I suppose it doesn't really matter if we tell anyone or not. What are you thinking, pick up some booze in... well, one of the smaller inns along the way back from Tavos? Or did you want to go someplace specific and drop the candy venture?

Smeggedoff
2015-02-12, 08:56 AM
Fizz shrugs "Just good stuff. I heard merchants complaining they were getting down the the dregs, not sure where to get good cheap liquor, but a party without refreshments is gonna be pretty bad"
Fizz wrinkles her nose at that "But a treasure hunt sounds fun too and" *fiz imitates a deep gruff voice "Go here and get dwarven brandy" she returns to normal "is something anyone could do and we could be doing fu- important things here to uh, prepare the market?"

AtS
2015-02-12, 09:24 AM
Anna rummages in her bag for a pen, her journal, and a handful of silver pieces. She stacks the silver pieces on the edge of the table in a neat tower. "So, I count four different courses of action here. First, there's the crypt with a rumor of treasure... This could be the most straightforward, as long as it's not too far away, and there's no nasty surprises waiting. Do we have a general location for this site?" With one of the silver pieces in hand, she places it on the map near Casellone.

"Next, there's the prince's alleged connection with the Tacks Men. Sounds like this requires some investigation work." Anna scribbles some notes in the margins of her journal. "After that, there's the festival, and Fizz's shrewd idea of prolonging booze shortage. We could even manufacture more of a crisis, if we're willing to break into the right storehouses..." Anna trails off, lost in thought. "But we wouldn't do that, would we? I don't think the Clockwork Lady would approve." She shakes her head, thumbing the iron holy symbol around her neck. Then, she places two more silver pieces on the map, both on Casellone. One, she flips heads-up, the other, tails.

"Last, there's the Tacks Men themselves. This strikes me as fairly perilous, but possibly the most lucrative. Who knows what kind of goods they could have lifted from the many caravans they've attacked?" She scribbles a few more notes in her journal. "Can we divide and conquer?" Grabbing the last silver piece from the stack, Anna places it on the large highway leading into Casellone.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-12, 09:53 AM
We're not breaking in anywhere. We aren't thieves. Hawkeye said coldly.

Realizing that she had already said that, he sat back a bit, and glared gloomily at the gold coin in his hand. With the bandits out and about, I don't want to leave our caravan to their own devices to go and get liquor for us. So, I don't think it is something anyone can be doing, as you claim, Fizz. At very least, I'll go with them. If the rest of you want to go exploring crypts, I can't tell you otherwise. But that should be done soon, rather than later. Who knows when the other pissants will go and get enough goons to loot the place before us. I don't much like dividing too much. If the crypt is dangerous, which it undoubtedly is, we'll want most of our strength there. But if the bandits are dangerous, which the rumors promise they are, we will also want most of our strength there. I'd rather do one, and then the other. But if not, I can probably handle the bandits, as long as someone else joins me, and we hire a few extra guards. That'll eat up some of the profits though, and is likely to get honest men killed, unless we are especially lucky.

tonberryking
2015-02-12, 10:50 AM
"I also heard that there was a demand for unicorn horn to help someone who's sick... But I don't like the idea of trucking with that sort of thing. The poor unicorns and all... Also, someone named Alessandro is involved." Poor Sophie half mutters this, feeling unable to contribute a plan of action at first. While the others talk she twitches a little, stealing more and more glances at her sword with it's oddball :D hilt until the pressure of keeping quiet is too much to bear.

"Um.. Well... That is... What id we tried to do a circuit of three ideas? Go to the tomb, empty it out, use the money to buy alcohol, murder slaughter kill all the bandits with extreme prejudice, and then make it back by the Festival without mentioning that we did that? Even if we were to only get the tomb, and rid this place of the bandits, or, ...um... chop mangle and dissect the bandits after we've bought booze? I mean alcohol. Even if one option runs itself out, by trying all three we should have some sort of profit..."

Escheton
2015-02-12, 11:19 AM
While the others are discussing things Bolrim tries to connect things to see if there might be a larger game afoot.
After pondering a while as the rest speaks he consolidates his ideas and shares it with the group
"What if the Prince will be announcing an alliance with Ea, and the Tacks-men exist to expedite an embargo against Haven? They might not keep their bandit status for long. And their loot might become actual tax if we don't move fast enough.

The call for Unicorn horns might be a ploy. A way to seem sympathetic to the public and to hide the malicious poisoning of a political adversary with ties to Haven. What are the chances a Unicorn is actually found before the man dies?
All that's needed for such a plan to work would be a large enough standing army between Tavos and the Bay. The cost of which could easily be payed from regular trade-tax from the increased income flowing from Ea."

Smeggedoff
2015-02-12, 11:19 AM
Fizz hums and haws "Well, aright, if we can't send someone out for booze, then we should at least take out the bandits, heck if we see if there's a bounty then we could take out the bandits, take their loots, and see if they still have the rake from their banditing. That'd get us get paid three times! And then we can go tomb raiding for fun later"

She pauses "ooor I guess we could see about a bounty, get rid of the bandits, and return the merchandise to foster goodwill and favourable trading in future ventures"

Princess K
2015-02-12, 01:17 PM
"It's going to be bloody zombies, isn't it?" Kellen groans. "It's always zombies. When's the last time we walked into a tomb with no gods-forsaken undead crawling around?"

Technically the last two times had been for all intents and purposes routine "archaeological" digs without so much as a dancing skeleton, but that's irrelevant.

"We could certainly take a look though. I know a collector in Aile Mare - something of a patriot, more fool him - who'll pay well for art and artifacts relating to Piacenzan history. Whose tomb is it anyway? Alessandro, you said?"

She shrugs. "Bandits, on the other hand... both a public service and potentially very lucrative." She laughs aloud. "Tacks-Men though? At least they've got a sense of humor."

"Liquor isn't expensive stuff unless we're dealing with rare stock. We'd need bulk quantities to see significant margins on our investments... There are plenty of smaller villages nearby that make their living with vineyards and breweries. If we work fast, we should be able to buy out the sources; there's a good number of government officials lazy enough to leave things to the last minute. If they can't get liquor in the few days before the festival, they'll come to us."

Alessandro was the prince of a Piacenzan city-state now long gone. Though never particularly influential and thus obscure, he is more famous in religious circles for legally implementing devil worship in his city; his patron was Circiatto, the Glutton Slaver. He died over three hundred years ago from health complications resulting from extreme overeating and was buried in secret to deter his enemies; he was not well-loved by his people.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-12, 01:53 PM
Fizz nods
"We might even be able to buy stock of caravans that have decided it's not worth risking the bandits, should be able to get a decent discount even"

Karsh
2015-02-12, 01:58 PM
Haldran gave a polite nod to Sophie as she crazies her way into the conversation. "The problem, as I see it, with heading out ahead of this group planning to hit the tomb is that, depending on how big or zombie infested it is, we might find ourselves emerging with the spoils just as a large group of fresh adventurers pulls up. I don't know about you, but I would be rather angry in that situation."

AtS
2015-02-12, 02:12 PM
Anna lights up, an idea filling her head. "Haldran, that's true. But what if these intrepid adventurers were delayed? What if some generous benefactor supplied them with ample mead the night before their expedition? Surely with a strong enough hangover, they'd postpone the trip. That could buy us some extra time to make off with the treasure unscathed."

darklink_shadow
2015-02-12, 03:09 PM
Hawkeye taps his armor, the harsh clink of steel on steel drawing attention to the symbol on is chest. I'm wearing the seal of the royal house of Piacenza. If nothing else, I'll use the "Official Business, nothing to see here, move along" line. Nobody ever seems to suspect that I simply won my armor in a drinking game from a retired Royal Guard. Or that I had cheated. And if they really pressure us, what are they going to do? Attack us in cold blood? Not likely. And if they do, they're bandits. And we can kill bandits.

Escheton
2015-02-13, 01:17 AM
At the word "zombies", Bolrim takes out a whetstone from his pocket and starts sharpening his axe. No use for the Madu there.
Raising an eyebrow slightly at the sounds of Hawkeye's fervor towards bandits.
He'd heard of the fat prince before. Arrested some cultists, for trespassing in the end. They cited obscure legislature that was clearly intended as a test, but was never written out or updated. A talk to a member of the church quickly fixed that, but we had to let em go.
Yeah, the dwarf was curious what there was to find in the tomb of Alessandro.

Princess K
2015-02-13, 02:00 AM
"I'd rather avoid axing regular folk if we can. If we can avoid a meet-up with Anna's idea or talk 'em down, that'd be preferable. We trade in coin, not blood," Kellen remarks. "Though if there does happen to be a confrontation, I'd put money on us over any crowd of layabouts, even after re-killing a few dead folks."

"Bolrim's ideas are interesting though. I lived at court here for while, and I wouldn't put it past a Piacenzan prince to pull something of the sort. Plot and counter-plot, and it's up to us to make a living off of it." Kellen frowned, producing another coin to send spinning through the air. "With the support of just a few city-states, an embargo isn't impossible. It would probably make land routes tougher, even for us. I, for one, am wholeheartedly in support of the free market."

"I'd like to look into these Tacks-Men, personally. Whatever game they're playing, it impacts the routes and that is our problem. Worst comes to worst, we loot cargo off some bandits and the roads are a little bit safer. At best, we end up with a prince in our pocket." A wicked little grin touched Kellen's features. "And princes are worth their weight in gold."

Escheton
2015-02-13, 04:18 AM
After having taken off his gauntlets to test the axe's sharpness and bleeding on the table, Bolrim weighs in once more.
"We could split up and do both. The goblin and I could grab any and all extra-dimensional storage we have and loot the crypt. I don't expect to encounter anything we can't handle, and if we do we simply bolt. What we find will be light and hidden. So no one can contest it, and it won't encumber. Fizz flies, and I can cut through the land faster than the horses. We should be able to catch up fast enough without halting the caravan."
Looking around for reactions in a slow sweep.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-13, 08:04 AM
Fizz claps her hands
"eeee! treasure hunting with uncle Bolrim. I like this plan. Though I might need to dump out some of my baggage"
Fizz starts poking through the contents of her haversack

darklink_shadow
2015-02-13, 08:22 AM
Hawkeye frowns at Bolrim, but nods. As long as you really do bolt when more trouble comes at you than you can handle, I see no issues with this plan. As long as you don't wind up being one of the recently dead we have to kill on our way through the crypt.

tonberryking
2015-02-13, 09:49 PM
"Oh dear..." Sophie looks somewhat overwhelmed by all the ideas being tossed around, fretting at the seams of her dress. "What about the undead? Would you like me to come with you? For.. um.. clerical and exorcism purposes, not to put you out of any misery that may occur from being bitten or infected by a loathsome undead disease. Though I'll do that too-- STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH, AQUILONIA! NO THEY WON'T THANK ME FOR KILLING THEM! *cough* That is, I'm probably better suited to helping with this than to lure out bandits. My sword tends to make those types think twice..."

Princess K
2015-02-13, 10:36 PM
"Sounds risky," Kellen muses, considering Bolrim's suggestion. "I like it. No one ever made it big without a little bit of crazy. Still... I'd like the odds better if you took Sophie with you. Sometimes it's a good thing to have one of the big guys upstairs looking out for you. A crypt is usually one of those places." The woman frowns, rolling the flashing disk of gold idly across her fingers. "Only problem is travel, unless Sophie can ride the angry sword like a broomstick."

Kellen leaned over the map, tracing a path across it with a finger: "What we could do is take the caravan down this route... no, this one. Moves us through several vineyards and breweries, passes through bandit country and loops us around the crypt site so we'll be close by for the majority of the trip so we can reconvene . Overall, this won't take more than four to five days. Seven if we delve deeper into bandit country on any leads. We get our liquor, we cross paths with some bandits, we send a party through the crypt and get back in time for dinner. Er, the festival. You know what I mean."

"Now, on our end, I'm sure we can take a few bandits. If we wanted to lean the odds further in our favor, we might want to look into hiring a mercenary or two while we provision up. We can interview a few candidates at one of the guilds. Strike two coins together in this town and sellswords begin to swarm like flies."

"For the crypt party, you might want to do some investigating. Check in with churches, local information brokers, whatever it takes to get a grasp of what's in there waiting for you. Maybe buy up some specific supplies? Holy water, the like. Knowledge is power."

Kellen nods. It's always good to have a plan of action. "Final opinions on the plan? If there are no objections, we can adjourn to prep. We can depart tomorrow morning if we're quick about it."

AtS
2015-02-14, 08:48 AM
Anna is relieved when Sophie volunteers to join the crypt venture. Undead creeped her out, and she preferred to stay above ground whenever possible. After a couple of bad experiences in the past, on field trips for classes back at Tavan University, Anna knew that she preferred fresh air and sunlight to dark, dank tombs.

When Kellen asks for opinions, Anna speaks up. "I'm seconding this plan. It lets us hit a majority of our leads at once, and it doesn't feel like we're spreading too thin either. 3+ people per venture sounds safe enough." She's impressed by Kellen's quick handle on the situation. I've got a lot to learn from these people, the cleric thinks, a sly smile on her face.

Karsh
2015-02-14, 12:12 PM
"Bolrim, that doesn't quite add up. Ea has its hands completely full with the Aviraxians; as bigoted as that group is, they aren't stupid enough to open up a second front and cut off their own supply of magic items by doing something to provoke Haven. To the contrary, I've heard that the Aviraxians may have something on Haven that is going to lead to an embargo against Ea. If you're right, we'd be best served getting on the next boat to Mei Xia--can you imagine what this place will look like if all four nations are at war with each other?"

Haldran sat back. "That's a good idea, Anna. While we are probably a match for these Tacks-Men, it wouldn't hurt to take some extra muscle if most of our muscle is headed to the crypt. I wonder... do we try to outbid the other group trying to hit the Alessandro tomb? That would further two goals at once--we get the extra help we need for the bandits and slow down others who plan to try and get to the tomb. I will, of course, help with the interviewing. If there's something off about the interviewees that I can't pick up, having a Detect Thoughts up will help to winnow the field rather rapidly."

Haldran stood, stretching his legs. "In the interests of completeness, I picked up one more rumor--Mei Xia is evidently dealing with a growing population of lycanthropes. I might pick up some materials to work on some Silvering weapon blanch. Not that we're going to head all the way to Mei Xia to do something so low margin, but someone else making the trip might be interested in picking up some more inventory."

Haldran opened up his Formula Book and flipped through a few pages. "I'll have to ponder what extracts are best to prepare in this situation..."

AtS
2015-02-14, 01:20 PM
Anna scoops her silver up from the map and deposits it back into a pouch on her bag, before turning to face the Elf. "Haldran, let's coordinate our preparation! I want to make sure we've got all our bases covered." Anna pulls out her formula book as well and sidles up next to her mentor. The two alchemists start chatting quietly, though Anna spends more time listening intently to Haldran's advice than she does talking.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-15, 12:32 PM
Fizz throws up a sloppy salute
"Aye Aye, Boss. Pester some churches... or learn to boil the hell out of some water"

Princess K
2015-02-15, 05:26 PM
[Some Time Later]

Kellen tosses a small stack of papers onto the table. "Dossiers from two of the major mercenary companies operating in Casellone. They do have fixed rates, but they're not necessarily the cheapest folks to hire. I assumed we'd need better than yokels with clubs," she says. "Especially since we have to pay extra if they die with us."

Meanwhile, a small crowd has formed outside the warehouse. Around a dozen men and women stand outside the door, their number ranging from bright-faced youths to grizzled swordsmen. "The delightful folks outside were brought close by the promise of gold and adventure. Not quite as many as I'd hoped, but a good number will have been interested in the tomb venture. We'll have to negotiate salaries on an individual basis, but we shouldn't have to pay out life insurance." Kellen shrugs. "Competition does drive up prices, though."

Kellen claps her hands together. "So, read, discuss, and then we can call people in for interviews. Professionals or random citizens, up to you. And do remember we have to feed anyone we bring along, right?"

The two Casellone mercenary companies Kellen has received information from are the Lapis Knights and the Sons of Rubicante. Both have good reputations; the Knights are known for loyalty and discretion, while the Sons have a reputation for being more dangerous, if also more uncouth.

The Lapis Knights have a reason for their loyalty. Each member is bound by a lesser geas to serve and obey those who hire them. It's not a secret, per se, and is in fact a selling point among the better informed. The allegations of mind control sit poorly with some, resulting in the information's relative obscurity.

The Sons of Rubicante are said to share more than a namesake with the malebranche Rubicante. Those who leave the organization whisper about more than lip service to hell.

Sons of Rubicante
Training: Warrior 1/Barbarian 3
Race: Half-Orc
Allegiance: Sons of Rubicante
Profile: A wild man from the Aviraxi highlands, working for family back home or something. Incredibly strong and tougher than an armored mammoth, but not a brilliant thinker. He is smart enough to swing his greataxe at those deemed enemies, and that's all that matters.
Salary: 28 gp/week + 300gp life insurance
Training: Expert 1/Witch 3
Race: Tiefling
Profile: A Casellone-native, Talin was brought in for cheating at cards. Given the choice between having a hand chopped off and indentured service, he chose the latter and the Sons purchased his contract. Sly bastard, but good at wreaking havoc.
Salary: 34 gp/week + 300gp life insurance
Training: Warrior 1/Slayer 1/Samurai 2
Race: Human
Profile: A woman from Taeseon, very skilled with the sword. We didn't ask about her background and she never deigned to tell us. She'll serve you well in combat and knows how to stitch a wound or two as well.
Salary: 32 gp/week + 300gp life insurance
Training: Adept 1/Sorcerer 3
Profile: A former nobleman who abandoned his titles for adventure. If you need something blasted apart with sorcery, Marc is your man. Just keep him away from your women.
Salary: 36 gp/week + 300gp life insurance
Lapis Knights
Training: Warrior 1/Cavalier 3
Race: Tiefling
Allegiance: Lapis Knights
Profile: A noble servant of the Lapis Knights, his past absolved. A skilled horseman and warrior.
Salary: 150gp hiring fee (paid only once if multiple Knights are hired) + 22 gp/week + 400gp life insurance
Training: Fighter 2/Oracle 2
Race: Half-Elf
Profile: A noble servant of the Lapis Knights, her past absolved. A skilled fighter touched by the gods.
Salary: 150gp hiring fee (paid only once if multiple Knights are hired) + 26 gp/week + 400gp life insurance
Training: Wizard 3
Race: Elf
Profile: A noble servant of the Lapis Knights, his past absolved. A skilled mage and scholar.
Salary: 150gp hiring fee (paid only once if multiple Knights are hired) + 26 gp/week + 400gp life insurance
Training: Warrior 1/Swashbuckler 3
Profile: A noble servant of the Lapis Knights, her past absolved. A skilled pistoleer, fighter and sailor.
Salary: 150gp hiring fee (paid only once if multiple Knights are hired) + 23 gp/week + 400gp life insurance

darklink_shadow
2015-02-15, 06:07 PM
Commander Hawkeye grunted and looked over the dossiers. Ser this and Ser that. That alone means they are a little more trustworthy. Nobody bothers with a Ser unless they mean to keep it. This hiring fee though... we'll need to see if we plan to hire them up again another day, if we'll have to repay it. If it's a once, ever, fee, I'd much rather pay for that. I'll also have to write up some contracts for this. I'm not shelling out 400 gold because some damned fool tripped down a hole out of his own stupidity. I'd also like to know what this "Past absolved" business means. And of course I'd like to meet them in person, and get a gist of who they are.

I'm also interested in this Garm. A man who works to feed his family must have some honor. Though he'll have too much to lose to be expected to hold the line when he is frightened. But still, of all the Sons of Rubes, he's the only one whose dossier interests me at all. The riffraff will be payed much less, and will be trusted much less. I won't have any one of them with our ruin team. The Knightly folk are the only I'd trust to go into the crypts with out friends.

Hawkeye tapped a coin on the table, and then rolled it around. We've barely more than a week's worth of work to hire them for. If the knights don't allow their hiring fee to be one time only, and they won't give us a break on it, they are much too expensive to hire. I'd be more inclined to send more of us to the crypts, and hire some riffraff to join the caravan.

AtS
2015-02-15, 10:49 PM
Anna leafs through the documents after Hawkeye finishes with them. She frowns at the dossiers from the Sons of Rubicante, recognizing the name embossed on the folders. "Rubicante is a malebranche of rust and ruin. Allies of rust are the enemies of The Clockwork Lady, not to mention that the synopses on the mercenaries are terse - can we trust these men and women? Is their connection with Rubicante purely aesthetic, or is there a deeper alliance here?" She sets the papers back on the table in a neat stack for another to peruse.

She also shakes her head at the Lapis Knights dossiers. "And the Lapis Knights have a fairly steep signing fee. Are they worth it?" Anna looks around the table at the rest of the company, hoping someone will have answers to her questions. The cleric clutches her holy symbol and mutters a quick prayer to her god to steady her nerves. May our thoughts never rust.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-15, 11:09 PM
somewhere
The latest in a string of various priests is pulled out of his daydreaming by the feeling of a tugging on the hem of his robes. He looks down to see a small green face bearing a somewhat unsettling (and toothy) grin
"Hey mister, what can you tell me about undead?"

Escheton
2015-02-17, 10:05 AM
Taking a "small" sum from the petty cash for ventures such as this, Bolrim took Fizz and Sophia on a fact-finding and resource-gathering excursion. Making sure to linger a while longer in the abodes of Pharasma and Serenrae. Although the little goblin wasn't particularly blessed with the gift of gab, she was expertly proficient with gaining the attention of the clergy. A thing Bolrim made a special note of in case a diversion was ever needed. Finding a nice affordable silvered axe of dwarven make for sale at the temple of Torag, keeping an option open to buy the superbly crafted Silversheen axe at a later date. A glorious creation, but quite out of the fighters budget for the time being.
Alessandro's wealth was much in decline upon his death. The likelihood of complex traps and machinations is low; he would not have had the gold to pay for such expense, nor to keep such artificers quiet. He was an evil man, however, and undead tend to propagate in such unholy environs. His worship of Circiatto may have granted his tomb some protections as well; devilish power may hold the place.

Either way, holy items and silver will serve you well against both dangers.

So while the rest was setting up a meet with an assortment of mercenaries vying for the Crypt job but greedy enough to delay things to hear out the prospect of a better paying job, Bolrim was in a cartographers shop with the alchemist and cleric, planning an exit route that reconvened with the caravan on their way to the bandit-invested wine country.
Bolrim wasn't sure at what time the tall, seemingly bi-polar lady has to pray to her deity, if any, but there just wasn't enough time to wait it out. So they headed out as soon as they stocked up on supply and information. There goings not mattering to anyone but themselves, so cover of darkness wasn't needed.

The battle-worn and travel-seasoned fighter led his small band of "archaeologists" through the land, minding the map and sky as he made his way. Having the insurance of Kellen that Fizz's wagon and his own will be tendedl as they are on excursion.

Survival:Take 10=20, but if not allowed for whatever reason: [roll0]

Weapon Blanch(silver):2x, 10gp (for fizz, covers 20 ammunition with silver)
Weapon Blanch (ghost salt): 1x, 20gp (for fizz, covers 10 ammo with ghost touch)
Antitoxin: 1x, 50gp, +5 vs poison for an hour
Antiplague: 1x, 50gp, +5 vs disease for an hour
Potion of remove sickness: 1x, 50gp, Gives +4 morale bonus on saves vs disease, nausea and sickened effects and suppresses any of those you're currently affected by for 10 min
Bladeguard: 1x, 40gp, Protects a single 2-handed or two 1-handed weapons from damage (like from oozes)
Map of crypt area: 50gp, +1 on survival to make way in wilderness
Alchemically silvered Dwarven Axe: 1x, 110gp, -1 dmg, bypasses dr/silver

Not sure what to add beyond this. Fizz and Sophia are free to write in purchases. I figured the petty cash to be 500 total. I spent 380 so far.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-17, 04:12 PM
Shortly before departure Fizz stows all her unneeded belongings in her wagon, handing some small wrapped bundles to Sophie and Bolrim she takes to the sky with an ancient goblin war cry

"YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Fizz is leaving her alchemy lab, her gunsmiths kit and her spare alchemy crafting kit

Fizz will be providing Bolrim an Sophie with 3 extracts of cure light wounds each that she whipped up the night before (repeated if the trip takes more than 1 day, reduced if an encounter requires fizz to use up 1st level uses) Each potion is an unnatural shade of green, oddly carbonated, overly sweet, and you suspect, glows in the dark.

Fizz also shares the contents of her alchemy cache, contents of which are available upon request
Acid Flask x2
Alchemist's fire x2
Banshee Ballerina firework x2
Bottle Lightning x2
Burst Jar x2
Ghast Retch Flaskx2
Holy Water x2
Tanglefoot bag x2
unstable accelerant x2
Alchemical Glue & Accelerant
Iron vialx10
Alchemist's Kindness x3

tonberryking
2015-02-17, 11:08 PM
Sophie tends to either sleep late, or rise early depending on the severity of her nightmares and/or nightly arguments with her sword. She DID manage to get out a preference for hiring two of the Sers ( Serah and Aldric, specifically) before she's hustled around the city, and then into the wilderness. She is, sadly, unfamiliar with this much planning and forethought, but her desire to be a team player gives her ideas of what to prepare. Although she did spend a good five minutes arguing with Aquilonia about the state of her armor and medic's outfit. It was all rather awkward.

The prayers she utters, with her sword and the black-brown clydesdale pulling her cart as an audience, reflect this; she always prepares a cure spell, but a handful of undead-helpful spells are also prepped.

"Oh...my," she says, watching Fizz. "it's probably not so good we get too excited before we know what evil monsters we'll be eviscerating. Or undead spawn we'll be sending back to he-- AQUILONIA! YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!"

Princess K
2015-02-18, 12:25 AM
"Piacenzans are fond of a little bit of devilry. They like to think of themselves as cunning, clever bastards, but not so many are [i]actually affiliated with Hell. And I believe the Lapis Knights charge the fee per contract. Cheapest to hire a great number of them at once - they like to work in numbers - but we'd have to pay each time we took out a contract. They're expensive, but I've never heard a whisper of disloyalty." Kellen shrugs. "I'll go contact the guilds. See if I can get an envoy from the boys in blue and see about getting Garm in here for a chat. No promises, just scoping out the options. Meanwhile, you can handle the volunteer army out there on your own, right?" She waits a moment for additional input, then heads out the door with a chipper wave.

The first of the applicants enters once you beckon. He is a lanky human with naught but wisps on his chin, hardly more than a boy. There is a wide, almost goofy grin on his features and an old broadsword strapped to his back. "Uh, I heard you were hiring for work? I'm Jon, and... uh... what did you want to ask?"

darklink_shadow
2015-02-18, 09:33 AM
Commander Hawkeye stands, and looks the boy in the eye for a long moment. Correct you are. Manners dictate you shake a man's hand and look him in the eye when you introduce yourself, son.

Extending his hand, and glaring into the boy's eyes, he shakes the boy's hand once. Commander Ulric Hawkeye. Let's get started.

The gruff warrior sat down, and looked over some papers before actually starting. Now, how old are you, boy? What's your father do for a living? Do you have any siblings? Have ye killed a man yet? What experience do you have that relates to this field? Did the gods bless ye with a last name, or did the gods curse you without a lick of manners? How much can you lift? You're surrounded by bandits, and I tell you to hold your ground, but you're sure they'll kill you if you don't fling down your weapon and beg for mercy. What do you do?

AtS
2015-02-18, 11:17 AM
Anna raises an eyebrow at Hawkeye's barrage of questions, feeling a twinge of sympathy for the young boy seated in front of her imposing companion. "While you're thinking of your answers, can I offer you something to drink?" she asks Jon, placing an empty pitcher on the table. With a quick hand gesture and a turn of her holy symbol, the pitcher glows faintly and the sound of a running stream echoes faintly throughout the warehouse. In the blink of an eye, the pitcher is filled with cold, clear, refreshing water.

She pours a glass of water and offers it to the boy. Brigh help me, if Hawkeye had interviewed me three months ago, I'd have left in tears, she thinks, keeping her face impassive so to not undermine Hawkeye's intimidation.

Princess K
2015-02-18, 12:56 PM
The boy clasps Hawkeye's hand. Though young, his grip is firm and his hands are rough; he is no stranger to physical work. "Y-yessir!"

He takes a breath, gratefully accepting Anna's water. He meets Hawkeye's gaze, only a little uncertain. "17 sir! I've got two younger brothers, sir! No, I have never killed a man sir, only beasts. But my father always said bandits and the like are no more'n beasts, sir! I can handle a sword as well as any man, and I'm strong! I've worked unloading caravans since I was a boy, sir! I haven't a lineage worth mentioning, but my father's name was Lars, sir!" At the last question, he falters. "I... I would fight, sir. No son of Lars would bend th' knee to a bandit, sir.

He meets the Commander's eyes again, chest puffing up with youthful belligerence. "My father worked one of the lost caravans, sir. He doesn't do much living anymore.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-18, 01:19 PM
That's the way a man talks, soldier! Hawkeye says, giving the lad the smallest hint of approving grin before withdrawing it to be replaced with a cold expression of disinterest. Just long enough to make him think the man liked him, but short enough that he could think he may have imagined it. Hawkeye didn't use any sort of natural charisma to talk to people, he read them, and gave them what they wanted. This boy wanted to be somebody, and to make his father proud.

Heed my every order, and you will avenge your father. Bend your will to my command, and you'll come home a man to make your father proud. Disobey, and you'll be lucky to limp home dishonored, if you're unlucky you'll limp into the afterlife with no honor. I won't go easy on you, Jon Larson, but you don't want a commander who will be easy on you. You'll not survive long in the real world looking for the easy way out.

Now, what do you think your fee should be? Guarding a caravan through known bandit territory, but untested and unproven.

Princess K
2015-02-18, 10:53 PM
[Interviews]

"Me?" the boy asks, somewhat taken aback. "Ah, I mean..." his eyes flick up as he does some figuring. "Um, thirteen gold a week? I-I know it's a lot, but I can feed my mother and with that... and maybe save up a little as well." He nods resolutely. "Give me the chance and I'll serve you well, sir!"

[Crypt-Team]

The sparsely wooded countryside of Piacenza would inspire no poets, and blends together as the hours pass on the road. A long evening's travel leaves you over halfway to your destination, the moon and stars still high in the sky. You could press on deeper into the night and the wilderness or set camp here amid the trees.

There appear to be animal tracks in the vicinity. They are layered in multiple directions, implying the creatures pass through the area fairly often.

They look to be wolf tracks.

...but not quite. Wolves don't normally have six toes, do they? Nor would they leave claw marks in the earth quite this deep. They otherwise seem identical to wolf tracks, a strange thing.

Escheton
2015-02-18, 11:20 PM
Bolrim attempts to use his skills as a woodsman to avoid difficult terrain where it doesn't cause too much of a detour, as to allow the prim and proper healer with a mouth to keep her full gait.
Making another short stop to stretch and have a bite, the long night weighs on them and Bolrim considers allowing the ladies to get some rest, so they are in better fighting spirits when they arrive. Should such a state be needed.
Before even opting it however, he does a quick perimeter sweep of the area. Because camping-sites should always be considered from multiple angles, lest you find yourself ambushed and without preparations. Returning to the three sharing meal-time, he reports with a straight face "Wolves. Big. Likely Dire. Lots of traffic. Skin might be worth the trouble. Camp?"

darklink_shadow
2015-02-18, 11:38 PM
Commander Hawkeye nodded once. Feeding your mother is a noble calling. I'll give you a gold today, and twelve more when we return. Of course, if you don't return, your payment will be given to your mother, along with a month's pay compensation. Send in the next one, and report here tomorrow at noon.

The gruff man pulled out a handful of silvers, counted to ten, and put them in the boy's hand.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-19, 12:38 AM
Fizz snaps off a salute that's not recognised in any military anywhere "aye aye sir! First watch?"
She begins unloading her bedroll

Princess K
2015-02-19, 05:21 AM
[Crypt Squad]

The night is refreshingly cool compared to the steady heat of day. It is a cloudless night, and the moon and stars give the world a silvery glow. Even in the dead of night, in the sparse woodland of Piacenza, the adventurers are not the only sign of life. Nature's noise is endless, a constant thrum of animal activity and the rustling of plants.

And it is the sound of silence that is the most startling of all. All at once, the forest falls silent, leaving no sound but the wind. A set of amber pinpricks shine out in the distance, an almost baleful glare. They do not move, like an unblinking, petrified will o' wisp in the distance.

A dark shape moves in the distance, slowly circling the camp.

Another dark shape shifts, completing a triangle of sorts around the adventurer's camp.

[Interviews]

"Tomorrow at noon. Sir yes sir! Thank you for the opportunity!" Jon accepts the coins, slipping the money into a small purse. You can just about catch a sigh of relief as he steps through the door to leave.

The next applicant is unarmed and dressed simply, though her garb seems the product of choice rather than necessity. She is half-elven, it is obvious to see, with short, evenly cut dark hair and very fair features. She bows deeply at the hip as she enters, not raising her head to speak. "I am Aenna, attendant of the Master of Masters. I seek no coin, only that I might find truth in service and in defense." She raises her head. "Ask of me what you wish to know."

Escheton
2015-02-19, 07:11 AM
Noting 3 shadowy figures through the brush and darkness, Bolrim stands up to casually and lengthily stretch his arms and back in an attempt to distract from him softly kicking Fizz and Sophie to awake them. Whispering, hoping the stalkers don't notice his state of awareness."shhh, we are surrounded. Slowly get ready, without making it look as such."
Once done he sits back down, avoiding focus on the wolves or the ladies, but starts calculating the situation with his peripheral vision honed on minute changes. All he can do for now, he figures. Don't want to scare them off, or into a sudden rush before the alchemist and cleric are ready.

AtS
2015-02-19, 10:10 AM
Aenna - such a similar name to mine, Anna thinks, while eyeing the half-elf quietly. Master of Masters... I know that name. A servant of Irori? She thinks back to her studies in school on the pantheon of gods that watch over the world. A quick smile turns the corners of her mouth upwards before the alchemist regains her passive expression. Irori, a god that I might have chosen to follow myself, if I believed in knowledge simply for knowledge's sake. Irori is a friend to The Clockwork Lady, but he is an aspect of self-improvement, while the Clockwork Lady is an aspect of creation. This woman may be useful to us, but does she have the spark of divinity?

"Are you a cleric of the Master of Masters, or a monk in his service?" Anna inspects the half-elf for the telltale signs of either profession - either a holy symbol, or hand wraps - anything that would give her a clue about this woman's skills. "What brings you here today? Have you been wronged by these bandits in the past, or are you compelled to help us in the service of your lord?" She pours another glass of water and offers it to Aenna.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-19, 10:19 AM
Hawkeye watches as the intern questions the woman. Soft questions, but ones that would arrive at some desired information. The Commander decided he would let Anna take point here, since she showed interest. He had forgotten that she was there to learn, and not just to be told what to do. This would be a good place for her to learn. When she was done, Hawkeye would fill in any gaps he could find.

This is my deleted post.

Hawkeye frowns at the woman, and stands up to greet her. I am Commander Ulric Hawkeye, it is a pleasure to meet someone with a noble calling such as yours. I presume you study your arts nearby? I don't keep up on all the Temples to the Master of Masters like I used to. I am used to your lot being a rigid, orderly lot. But at times that can be an issue. Do you understand that if you take this job, and I give you a command, I expect it obeyed, and not contemplated? We might do things differently than your teachers, but if you join with us, you will obey my spoken commands as if they had come down from on high. If you think that perhaps my rules go against your code, or whatever, then you will have to do whatever I said anyways, or you will have broken the very fiber of Truth in Service. Other than that, I have only the usual questions for you. How long have you studied? What forms have you mastered? Have you had to kill someone before? How much can you lift? What experience do you have in the past that relates to guarding caravans?

Smeggedoff
2015-02-19, 12:28 PM
Fiz wakes up and quietly slides from her bedroll, drawing Moira as she does

Princess K
2015-02-20, 03:22 AM
[Interviews]

"I do not channel divinity. I am simply a humble woman seeking betterment." Aenna answers in a cool, collected voice. "I seek only to hone my body, mind and spirit. To defend others from lawlessness is to walk on that path."

She seems about to speak further when there is a sharp rap at the door. "Open up!" a loud voice barks. With no other warning, the door is unceremoniously thrown open. Two fully armored soldiers enter, followed by a tall, crimson-skinned woman. Ram's horns coil around her skull and her teeth are razor sharp; the tiefling taint is clear in the woman's visage. You can see many of the applicants that had been waiting outside scattering and the reason is obvious:

The tiefling is clad in the gilded armor of the Princeguard. She waves aside her underlings, opening her mouth to speak in a voice smoother than quicksilver, yet sickly sweet. "Now, gentle folk, I was notified that suspicious activity was occurring here. Would you care to explain your side of the story so that justice may be done?"

She pauses, frowning as she catches sight of Hawkeye. "A compatriot? What city do you serve, exactly, my friend?"

Katka Lefthand. A relatively famous officer of the Casellone Princeguard, she distinguished herself in the merciless purging of the Pale Brothers, a revolutionary conspiracy that sought to overthrow the prince and his court. Her command is as corrupt as the rest, but what is unusual is that she has no taste for gold. No, she's learned that secrets are a far more valuable tender. Her power is equal to any noble, and her voice carries weight at court as well as on the streets.

[Crypt-Team]

The creatures wind the circle in closer, drawing nearer and nearer with every rotation. They slip between the trees easily, drawing closer and closer. The creatures no longer attempt to hide, having cut off paths of escape. Now, they are no longer shapes in the distance but distinct creatures, making it terribly clear: those are no mere dire wolves.

The creatures are ugly, thin and drawn, with fur like rust and ash. Their amber eyes gleam with something more than animal: palpable cruelty, not merely hunger or instinct. Black saliva, like oil, drips from their tongues onto the ground as they pant. Monsters.

The three creatures are arrayed in a triangle around you, about equally spaced and 40 feet away. The area is sparsely littered with thin trees, which can provide some cover. The moon shines high overhead, providing the night with some pale illumination. A low, guttural growl fills the silence as the wolflike creatures draw low and tense. They wait for their prey to make the first move.

Knowledge (Planes) and Appraise or Profession (Merchant)
Evil creatures from the plane of Hell, Hellhounds are uncommon sights in the Material Plane. They tend to roam near places where Devils' influence is strong, preying upon the native life. Beasts of flame and darkness, they shrug off fire but find themselves vulnerable to cold.

Hellhounds are cunning, favoring pack tactics similar to terrestrial wolves. Individuals will range forward, breathing great gouts of flame to drive their prey into traps where larger packs lie in wait. They are skilled hunters, very difficult to lose once they catch a scent.

Hellhound pelts are valued for the make of fireproof gear. Piacenzans in particular treasure it as decoration material; hellhound-trim clothing and rugs are popular in certain circles.

Escheton
2015-02-20, 07:11 AM
"Hellhounds!" Bolrim barks, "Inured to flame, vulnerable to cold. Relentless and firebreathing. But profitable......FIZZ!...FLY!"
Quickly drawing a bottle from his pockets, he throws back the unhealthy looking concoction. Growing to be an 8 foot fullplate immediately afterwards. He grips his chain, mind focused on the slack and weight, and pulls it through his hand. Gripping and pulling before reaching the end, looking like the start of a kata of sorts, before starting to swing the massive weapon in strong but rhythmic rotations. Eyes fiery with the taste for justice. Making a decisive step outward, toward the Hellhounds.

Free actions: Talk
Standard action: Draw+consume extract(investigator) of Enlarge Person(1 minute)
Move action:Martial Flexibility(brawler); Weapon Focus (Dorn-Dergar), (1 minute)
Swift action: Activate Judgement(inquisitor); Justice, (1 minute)
5ft step: 5ft step

darklink_shadow
2015-02-20, 08:05 AM
Commander Hawkeye jumped to his feet and grabbed his scythe at the first sign of trouble: pounding at the door.

With a growl, Hawkeye gave the woman entrance, and a shallow bow. Commander. There is nothing ill going down in this warehouse. We are conducting interviews on would-be adventurers to join a caravan, nothing more, nothing less. At your leave, we would continue. But one moment, the caravan master is here, I am sure she should explain her situation. KELLEN! Get out front. The guards with direct authority over this city are here!

AtS
2015-02-20, 09:28 AM
Anna freezes, jaw agape at the sudden intrusion. The pitcher slips from her fingers and smashes to the floor with crash. The water splashes all over her and Aenna's legs, drenching their shoes.

"Rusted gears! Sorry, sorry, sorry," she exclaims, producing a towel from her coat and thrusting it toward the half-elf apologetically. Her eyes dart around the room, looking for their bardic caravan leader. Her face is red from ear to ear, and she shrinks down a little, embarrassed at her own clumsiness.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-20, 10:21 AM
Hawkeye groans, and snaps his fingers to get Anna's attention. Careful girl, and relax. The guard is here to protect and serve. You've broken no laws I know of, so you have no cause to be frightened. Just scoop up the broken pieces and we'll look into fixing it later.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-20, 10:51 AM
Fizz vaults from her hidden position onto the back of her fuzzy steed, she digs in her heels and with a whoop, a screech, and a flap of membranous wing the pair is airborn.
Holding steady above Bolrim, Fizz flicks a bullet into the sky, swiftly followed by the prod. Twirling the rifle she pours black powder from the horn into the firearm, catching the bullet with the barrel as it returns. Snatching the prod with her choppers she rams the ammunition home, spins the rifle with one more flourish and fires at one of the Hounds with loud CRACK

"HA! Stoopid mongrels! Eat bullet!"
Should she have made the taunt without a stick in her mouth, I'm sure it would have been very impressive

tonberryking
2015-02-20, 11:15 PM
Kicking Sophie literally awake was a mistake as she erupts from the ground next to her cart in a violent fury, but it is navigable fury. The mention of hellhounds probably saves Bolrim from being punted (that and his sudden growth spurt) in a grumpy, sleep deprived fit, and directs that hostility towards something else.

Something Sophie/Aquilonia are in no qualms over against tearing into. But first, under the assumption that growing larger inside a tomb is ill-advised, Sophie hastens to cast the same spell as her companion did. Holding the sword close, pommel under her chin, she utters a quick litany that seems to grow in anger as Sophie starts growing herself, now towering over all at damn near 13 feet from the ground.

But she's not done, either, as Aquilonia takes control and she flips her sword upwards. Her eyes film over with a bloodier red than usual, and her muscles cord up into iron-like bands, a roar breaking free from her lips. Worse still, her sword snaps open and unfolds into a curious three pronged bladed affair, the grip extending for her larger grasp just as a metallic shriek cuts out over the metal, an icey blue hoarfrost coating the sword blades...

"BAD DOGGIES! COME HERE AND GET A COLD BITE IF YOU DARE!!!

Casting enlarged person first, extending my range by 10 feet and Aquilonia's damage becomes 3d6. Then, I go into (ice elemental) rrraaaaaaaagggeee, making my sword more owwie inducing than before. Her stats have been modified on her sheet for easy reference.

Princess K
2015-02-21, 05:55 PM
Speak of the devil and she shall appear; Kellen pokes her head into the room, blinking at the sight of the Princeguard captain. She mouths a curse from behind the woman, her face returning to an expression of pleasant politeness. "Ah, Lady Lefthand, it's good to see you again. It has been much too long."

"Of course. You must be careful; I find you amidst trouble again, Silvertouch. I presume you have papers?"

"Trouble? Oh no, simply a business arrangement." With a flourish, the caravan master produces a scroll from a pocket. She opens the Writ of Trade, holding it up for the Princeguard's perusal.

"Ah, the Writ of Trade. Bound centuries ago to treaties all nations still hold. Such a [i]precious document, worthy of the great Silvertouch line." She smiles mockingly. "Your father must be so proud." She nods, waving away the scroll. "Now, we'll still have to look around. Just a formality. And I would ask what sort of business you're undertaking."

Kellen opens her mouth to speak, but Katka shakes her head. "No." She fixes her cold gaze on the nervous girl attempting to mop up the spilled water. "You. Explain to me what exactly you are planning."

[Crypt-Squad]

All at once, the night is alight with the sounds of combat. The hellhounds hiss and recoil as two of their prey grow large and a shadow wings out of the night raining death from the sky. The hound that took the bullet - with a coat of particularly deep crimson - looses a pained howl, glaring up into the sky. In pain and anger the wounded hound charges for Bolrim, pouncing upon him with blackened claws and fangs bared.

The two uninjured wolves - one, a creature with only one gleaming eye and the other with patches torn from its body - snarl, looping around toward Sophie. Keeping a safe distance away, Patches spits a gout of flame over the enraged giantess. The flow of flames ceases after just a moment, but the sticky, still-burning saliva leaves a field of hot, flickering flame beneath Sophie's feet, casting dancing shadows off of the trees.

The other hellhound - One-Eye - loops around, spitting a gout of fire of its own; not at anyone in particular, but leaving a cone of fire between Bolrim and Sophie. The hellhounds howl in unison, releasing a piercing cry.

Round 1:

Red-Fur: bullet in shoulder, angry
One-Eye: healthy
Patches: healthy

Red-Fur:
Full Round Action: Charge+Pounce on Bolrim
Bite: [roll0] to-hit; [roll1] damage + [roll2] fire
Claw: [roll3] to-hit; [roll4] damage
Claw: [roll5] to-hit; [roll6] damage

One-Eye:
Move Action: Move to position between Sophie and Bolrim.
Standard Action: Fire Breath between Sophie and Bolrim. Leaves a cone-shaped zone of burning black saliva.

Patches:
Move Action: Move to within 10 ft of Sophie
Standard Action: Fire Breath [roll7] fire damage, DC 14 Reflex half vs. Sophie. Leaves a cone-shaped zone of burning black-saliva.

Sophie must make a DC 15 reflex save to avoid catching on fire while she remains in the flames.

Battlefield Notes:

One of the hellhounds is practically on top of Bolrim, snapping and clawing at the enlarged dwarf. They are separated from Sophie and the other two hellhounds by a wall of fire. Sophie is standing in her own burning zone, flames licking at her heels.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-21, 06:53 PM
Commander Hawkeye grunted. Sure, ask the intern.

With a shake of his head, he reached down to help Anna stand. Go ahead, Anna. Don't be so nervous, you've got nothing to hide. Kellen, get the water?

After Anna stood, Hawkeye knelt down and with a flick of his wrist, the pitcher reformed like new.

Karsh
2015-02-21, 07:30 PM
Haldran rose to his feet from the table where he'd been silently observing the candidates as the city guard marched in. He sized up the woman in a single glance, and knew exactly who it was. "I believe you'll find little justice to be served here, Lady Lefthand." It was a turn of phrase that left it just the slightest bit unclear exactly what he meant.

"I've got it, Commander." Haldran walked to Anna's side and uttered a single word, and waving his hand to instantly dry the floor. He gave Anna a reassuring smile as he helped her to her feet.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-22, 01:16 AM
Seeing red-fur break for Bolrim makes Fizz curse while she reloads
"Ah sludge" looking for an open target she settles on one-eye "Crud sniffin' fire doggies. YOU YOU, WITH THE EYE!... NICE EYE!" *CLICK* *FSSST*

"... uh oh"

Escheton
2015-02-22, 07:33 AM
Although not that concerned for his own safety as the beast barely managed to scratch him, Bolrim shortens the slack of his chain to strike the Hellhound at his feet all the same. It had already been wounded, so even though he'd prefer to help out Sophie, killing one off before moving to the next seems wise.
Channeling the strength of the dutiful warrior ants, Bolrim the Fighter brings down his ancient dwarven weapon on Red-Fur.

Swift Action: Animal Focus: Ant, +2 enh to strength(hunter), 1 minute
Move action: adjust chain flail to non-reach
Standard action: Strike[roll0], [roll1]

tonberryking
2015-02-22, 04:52 PM
The Giant Sophie doesn't seem deterred by the fire lapping at her boots. Or by the snarling hellhound that caused it, judging by the way she slams her sword down in a hammer blow at the beast. If a sword sings during battle, then Aquilonia must be a Death Metal Band plummeting into a mosh pit of weaker, lesser bands, judging by the devastating hiss of ice flow that follows the steel downwards and its wielder's maniacal battle cry that would wake the whole forest.

Whelp. I'm reaching over to Power Attack Patches there, at a minus 3.

Since her attack is now 11, that makes it a +8: [roll0]
Damage from the sword itself: [roll1]
Ice Elemental Damage: [roll2]

EDIT: Also, if this drops the beast or does enough damage, I'mma gonna have her five-foot step out of the flames following the beat down

AtS
2015-02-22, 04:55 PM
As Haldran helps Anna to her feet, she manages to sputter a few words of objection. "Well, see, I'm, I, I... I'm just an intern here!" The terror in her eyes at the tiefling's unexpected questioning is plain to see.

However, once to her feet, she gains a bit more composure. "And, uh, although I'm new, I can say with great certainty that Miss Silvertouch's caravan operates with the utmost integrity. See, Lady Lefthand, I'm here to learn. We've been conducting some interviews with applicants for a potential job, and I've been recieving guidance from Commander Hawkeye on proper briefing protocol and applicant evaluation." She glances at Hawkeye as she says this, looking for reassurement.

"A caravan of the size and statue of Tolman and Sons takes a lot of manpower to operate, and we're just looking to fill some gaps, that's all. But again, I don't presume to speak for the company myself, I'm just an intern here. Ma'am." She raises her hands in front of her body in a noncommittal gesture. Then, she abruptly seats herself and begins fiddling with her robes, avoiding Katka's gaze.

darklink_shadow
2015-02-22, 05:09 PM
With a smile and a nod, Commander Hawkeye reassured Anna. That's absolutely well put.

Turning to the Lady, he bowed slightly. That was a good lesson for our intern. Thank you. Will that be all? We'd like to try to conclude the interviews by tonight, and we have many applicants. Or we did...

Princess K
2015-02-23, 01:22 PM
[Interviews]

"This girl couldn't lie to save her own life." The tiefling's glare softens into a mere frown. "And yet she isn't lying, is she? An honest merchant; I thought I'd never see the day."

"Nothing, ma'am!" a guardsman reports, returning from his search. "There's no sign of incriminating evidence here!"

The Princeguard crosses her arms, glaring this way and then that, her gaze lingering on Aenna for a moment. Finally, she shakes her head. "Very well. I apologize to have taken your time. Carry on with your business."

Katka seems very surprised by the information that there's nothing here, though she hides it well. She seems to have been expecting something altogether different.

"Bye! Thanks for your time!" Kellen calls after her, waving brightly. Once Katka is gone, Kellen frowns. "Unusual for her to be here. The illustrious Lady Lefthand doesn't normally deal with mere trading companies. Someone's taken interest in us."

"Anyway, an envoy from the Lapis Knights is on their way, and Garm should be as well. Looks like the Princeguard scared away all but one of the people out there as well, so we may get an earlier night than we'd imagined."

"It seems this is to be an interesting venture," Aenna notes quietly.

[Crypt-Squad]

The distinctive retort of a misfired gun echoes across the battlefield, while a red-furred hound manages to slip beneath the second of Bolrim's clashing chain strikes. The patchy creature engaging Sophie fares far worse than its brethren, a frost-tongued blade nearly cleaving the creature in two. It howls in agony, turning to flee from combat. It avoids the - now aflame, and somewhat more terrifying for it - giantess's strike, moving to put trees between itself and its foe.

The uninjured One-Eye snarls and disengages as well, turning to follow its packmate away into the night. Red-Fur, in bloody rage, remains behind to rip and tear and Bolrim.

Round 2:

Red-Fur: Bloody and bruised; enraged
One-Eye: Healthy
Patches: Seriously injured, on the verge of death; fleeing

Red-Fur:
Full-Round Action: Full Attack vs. Bolrim
Bite: [roll0] to-hit; [roll1] damage + [roll2] fire
Claw: [roll3] to-hit; [roll4] damage
Claw: [roll5] to-hit; [roll6] damage

One-Eye:
Move away

Patches:
Move away

Battlefield Notes:
Patches and One-Eye have disengaged to flee, and are about ~40 feet away from Sophie, and ~50 feet away from Bolrim. Red-Fur remains in melee range with Bolrim.

Smeggedoff
2015-02-23, 01:40 PM
Fizz unscrew the barrel of her musket before jamming it in her mouth to blow the blockage out, she then slaps the stock of the weapon like a ketchup bottle to remove any foreign material.
Screwing the barrel back in place she reaches into her pockets and pulls out a bottle and a paper packet.
Splashing some of the liquid into the packet, she rolls in a waxed cloth tube before wrapping the whole thing in goblin tape as it begins to fizz violently.

"Hey Bolrim! Catch!" She yells, dropping the package, before covering Peepers ears as she waits for the aerosolised healing potion to detonate

Then, with a point and a squeeze of her knees, Fizz directs peepers to keep up with the fleeing hound

darklink_shadow
2015-02-23, 01:47 PM
An early night? Pah. We'll see. Hawkeye gave Anna a nod, before addressing her. Look over the questions I wrote down, and find out the answers to them. I leave this interview to you. I need a word with Lady Katka.

Commander Hawkeye left to catch up with the woman, My Lady Lefthand, a word?

He marched up to her quickly, and moved to be near to her, so as to speak low enough let their conversation not carry. Someone has fed you a line about our company. I can read it in your eyes, but your eyes haven't told me who. Whoever this person is, clearly they seek to mislead you for a sinister purpose. Either they have pulled you from a location you would have otherwise been at, or they were hoping you'd catch us doing something without any knowledge of what we are doing. I think we have a common enemy. I'd like to know who. I will, of course, share anything I learn about this person with you. Someone may be misleading the person who reported the issue to you, as well...

Escheton
2015-02-23, 03:25 PM
With a quick and powerful pull, Bolrim looses his chain at the retreating hound at the edge of his reach. Feeling the enraged dog at his knees take advantage of the opening and sink in a full volley of attacks. "that one stung"
Followed nigh immediately by the alert goblin lobbing some kind of healing potion-bomb. She explained it, but the fighter is still vague on a few things. He catches the bomb with his shoulder, cushioning the impact to let it drop to the floor leaving a fast upward rising smoke column. He breathes it in deeply, feeling the cooling tingle of magical healing spread out from his lungs."Keep on that hound! Kill it! That's a couple dozen plat getting away!" He steps back slightly, for a better viewpoint before he fazes out of focus for a moment, connecting with the forest around him and commanding it to hold his foes, with the promise to rid this place of the abominations. Succeeded by returning his focus on his own quarry with a killing resolve as vine, plant and root spring up and animate to hold the hellish hounds.

AoO on One Eye, as he was at the edge of Bolrim's reach and then ran out: [roll0], [roll1]

5ft step diagonally SW, not in the fire. Cast Entangle (DC15), 40ft radius. Centered on the furthest hound.

Bolrim d'Kundarak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=86984)
Male LN Dwarf Fighter4//Hunter1/Inquisitor1/Investigator1/Brawler1, Level 4, Init +2, HP 24/38, Speed 20ft
AC 21, Touch 11, Flat-footed 20, Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +7, Base Attack Bonus 4
Dorn Dergar +11 (2d8+6, X2)
Girdunir (+1 Heavy Plate), (+10 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Misc, -1 Size)
Abilities Str 20, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 5
Condition
Enlarged(sp) (8 rounds)
Martial Flexibility(ex)(brawler); Weapon Focus (Dorn-Dergar), (8 rounds)
Judgement(su)(inquisitor); Justice, +1 sacred to attack rolls (8 rounds)
Animal Focus(su): Ant, +2 enhancement to strength (9rounds)

Ignore movement penalties from difficult terrain(slippers of feather steps)
+1 on will saves against mind-effecting
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs (including half-orcs) and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks made to determine the price of non-magical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones
+2 bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.
+4 racial bonus to Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
+4 bonus on Bluff checks to lie or conceal feelings or true motives, but not to feint in combat or deliver secret messages. In addition, the DC for Sense Motive checks to get a hunch about you is 25 rather than 20.

Karsh
2015-02-23, 10:14 PM
Haldran watched Lady Lefthand leave with a bemused expression on his face. "Hm. It seems we have someone telling tales about us about town. Well done, Anna. This makes for a good lesson, actually. Even in a place like Piacenza, Ethical Business Practices are of great importance, as even the local, unethical constabulary will react quite poorly to those trying to operate outside of the bounds of their control. Without receiving a cut, at least."

AtS
2015-02-24, 10:16 AM
Relieved to see the tiefling take her leave, and confident in Hawkeye's damage control expertise, Anna relaxes, slouching a little in her seat. She smiles at Haldran's lesson. "I thought I might have lost it there," she admits to her mentor. Then, in a quieter voice, "I'd feel a little more comfortable if you took the reigns for the rest of the interviews, Haldran. I'm still a little rattled from all this."

Turning to Aenna, she speaks softly. "Thank you for your patience. I've finished with my questioning, but my colleague Haldran might have a couple more for you."

tonberryking
2015-02-24, 02:53 PM
Hurling her flaming body away from the ring of Fire, the Giant, Flaming Sophie bears down on Patches, the hissing ice blade trailing behind her, held low until she golf-swings Aquilonia up at the retreating hellhound.

"RRRRAAAGHHRRRAAAAAHHH!!! TRY TO IMMOLATE ME, WILL YOU!?!" she demands of the wretched beast, trying to end his misery. She may be violent, but she's not going to dismember even a dying monster bit by bit...

Now that power attack is gone, let's try this again.
[roll1] Sword damage
[roll[1d6 Cold Damage

Karsh
2015-02-24, 10:27 PM
To Aenna's comment, Haldran smirked. "Less interesting than Lady Lefthand would have had it, I fear. Since you're still here, I shall infer that our... run-in... with the good Princeguard has not entirely turned you off the notion of joining our caravan. You said that you seek to hone your body, mind, and spirit... how far along the path of the Master of Masters have you traveled? This is no place to begin one's training, what with the bandits on the roads.

Tell me--how did you come to know Irori? Why walk the Enlightened Path?"

AtS
2015-02-26, 08:25 AM
Awaiting an answer, Anna picks up Hawkeye's notes from the table. She skims them, noting the points that the commander wanted them to cover. Then, she whispers to Haldran, "Hawkeye wants us to ask her about her training. Also, he wants to know if she's ever killed someone before, and if she's ever done work like this - guarding a caravan, that is - in the past." Noticing that Aenna is eyeing her quizzically, Anna clears her throat. "Our companion, the burly man in armor, left us some further questions for you."

Princess K
2015-03-01, 09:00 PM
The woman turns cold eyes upon Hawkeye, staring silently at him for what feels like a very long time. Finally, she speaks. "Those who wear the gold are so often blinded by its gleam. Who is this, with such a keen eye for the schemes of rats? A cat? Or a hawk perhaps?" She leans forward, murmuring: "[i]Amadeo." She stands straight once more, as if she had said nothing at all. "Finish your business, but I expect a report in my office within the month, guardsman. Do not fail in this." The last five words, though spoken no less calmly than the rest, carry the coolly understated weight of iron rather than gold. With that, she turns on her heel to leave. "Let justice be done, Princeguard."

Knowledge (Local): Piacenzan Politics
The House of Amadeo is one of the noble families of Piacenza, ever vying for power and prestige.

While the Piacenzan city-states are technically a united nation, each is ruled by its own Prince (or Princess, in the case of Bareto and Marciaso). In a similar vein, the Princeguard, though theoretically a united organization, has members with very divided loyalties. Each Prince has a court of nobles, a collection of the rich and powerful that vie for influence. Princes who disregard their Court often find themselves resting prematurely within a golden casket, but nobles who too blatantly challenge their Prince often find themselves upon the guillotine. A tenuously balanced board, upon which the Game is played.

The Amadeo are a family housed in Casellone. Their purview is commerce; they sponsor many Piacenzan trade companies and run their own as well.

The Casellone Prince was initially intended to marry an Amadeo. When he chose a Sforza girl instead - supposedly out of true love - the Amadeo family was understandably furious. Relations have been bad, though it wouldn't be apparent from how polite everyone remains in public.
Meanwhile, the adherent of Irori bows her head. "In a perfect realm, the laws of man and the laws of the divine would coincide. Alas, that ours is not."

(Assuming the requisite questions got asked)

"The stories are one and the same. I have never before guarded a trade caravan such as this, but I have slain men. It was about when I chose to devote myself to another path. One that... made more sense. That gave me inner peace." She nods. "I have trained for many years, now. I will obey any commands given to me... except in the case of gross malevolence or mindless destruction." She purses her lips. "In such an extreme case, I must make the right choice."

[Crypt Squad]

The lashing vines move like hungry serpents, coiling around leg and paw. The healthier of the two leaps nimbly over the new terrain, but the other falters, dragged down by its wounds. The patchy creature howls in rage, pulling and tearing at the plant life to no avail. When Sophie's rimed blade arcs up, the hellhound looses one final defiant snarl before its head is cloven cleanly in two. Slain, its limp body slumps down, dragged to the earth by the enchanted foliage. One-Eye simply snarls at its packmate's death, turning to continue its flight by awkwardly stumbling over root and vine. Every step is made with great difficulty, and the beast fails to get very far.

As Bolrim turns away from Red-Fur, the hellhound's fury seems to clear somewhat. It turns to flee as well, moving in the opposite direction of its cyclopean kin.

Sense Motive/Survival
The hellhound Red-Fur isn't fleeing quite as quickly as it could be. It glances back, occasionally making small loops as it flees. It's leading you off, not running for its life.

Round 3

Red-Fur: Bloody and bruised, fleeing
One-Eye: Healthy, in entangle area
Patches: "He's dead, Jim."

Actions:

Red-Fur:
Full-Round Action - Withdraw

One-Eye:
Double move away, still within entangle area

Battlefield Notes:
Red-Fur and One-Eye are on opposite sides of the party, both fleeing. One-Eye is fully healthy, but standing in an area of entangling vines, while Red-Fur is injured but on safe ground. Fizz flies overhead atop Peepers, well within firing range of One-Eye. Sophie, however, is standing in the entangle area as well, because man, 40ft radius is actually enormous. Poor girl's not having the greatest of days.

Sophie:
Reflex to escape entanglement (DC 15)
Reflex to put out fire (DC 15)
[roll0] automatic fire damage

Smeggedoff
2015-03-01, 11:37 PM
Fizz reaches her hand into her haversack and pulls free a gloopy looking bag. Sprinkling it with a secret alchemists blend of 11 herbs and spices, she manages to roll it up tight enough to cram it down the barrel of a musket.
"Like running away huh?" she mumbles, sighting the fleeing cyclopean hound "well Fizz says SIT!"
*BLAM*

darklink_shadow
2015-03-02, 05:36 PM
Huh. Hawk indeed. Commander Hawkeye bowed. To the best of my ability, it will be done. I will not fail you, my lady.

With that, Hawkeye re-rentered the building. Kellen. I have work to be done. Tell me quickly everything you know about House Amadeo, and then I will work to bring them to their knees. Whoever these people are, they are the ones who have acted against us. I will find out why, and if their plot lies sinister, I will thwart them. I will be back in time for the trip, though I may or may not depart with you.

AtS
2015-03-02, 06:12 PM
Anna raises an eyebrow quizzically at Hawkeye when he returns, wondering what had transpired in the commander's leave of absence. However, figuring that Hawkeye wouldn't take kindly to her prying, she instead focuses her attention back to the interviews at hand.

"Thank you for your patience, Aenna. I think we could definitely use your talents, and I don't think there should be a problem with you keeping to your code as you've described. I too am a follower of the faith," Anna says, brandishing her holy symbol, "and I understand your devotion. We meet here tomorrow at noon to embark on our mission. I hope we can count you among our number? If you do not have any further questions, you may leave. And please excuse me while I let in the next applicant."

Anna stands, dusts off her robes with a swipe of her hand, and walks to the warehouse entrance. She peers outside, shielding her gaze from the sunlight with her hand, as she looks around for any remaining applicants. "Next in line for Tolman and Sons interviews?" she calls out.

tonberryking
2015-03-03, 12:16 AM
Sophie takes a few steps into the wrapping vines, and this doesn't slow her in the least. With a roar her ankles yank themselves free as she power stomps after One eye, hooking her sword at him with one final, lunging gait.

"GET BACK HERE AND DIE LIKE A BASTARD!"

Attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Escheton
2015-03-03, 02:03 AM
"What are you up too?", Bolrim ponders, unsure what it is exactly he is being lured to. Keeping his eyes peeled for surprises he starts to move towards his quarry, looking back towards Sophie to see if it's time to release his hold on the undergrowth yet. Instead of doing so he instead enchants the vegetation in front of him with the same spell. Ready to charge in himself depending on Red-Fur's reactions.

Move 20ft diagonally towards Red-Fur, avoiding the fire.
Cast Entanglement beyond Red-Fur, it's outer edge starting right in front of Bolrims feet.

Male LN Dwarf Fighter4//Hunter1/Inquisitor1/Investigator1/Brawler1, Level 4, Init +2, HP 25/38, Speed 20ft
Condition
Enlarged(sp) (7 rounds)
Martial Flexibility(ex)(brawler); Weapon Focus (Dorn-Dergar), (7 rounds)
Judgement(su)(inquisitor); Justice, +1 sacred to attack rolls (7 rounds)
Animal Focus(su): Ant, +2 enhancement to strength (8 rounds)

+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs (including half-orcs) and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears).
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and hill giants).
+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks made to determine the price of non-magical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones
+2 bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.
+4 racial bonus to Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
+4 bonus on Bluff checks to lie or conceal feelings or true motives, but not to feint in combat or deliver secret messages. In addition, the DC for Sense Motive checks to get a hunch about you is 25 rather than 20.

Karsh
2015-03-03, 08:27 PM
Haldran nodded to Aenna as she departed, satisfied to allow his student to continue conducting the interviews. As Hawkeye burst into the room, Haldran looked up. "They're a Cassellonian noble House in the Prince's court. Like many, they have their fingers in all sorts of commerce, including other trading companies as well as their own. Competition.

I would guess that they do not take kindly to Tolman and Sons showing up and waving a Writ of Trade around on their territory. I would think they had to have been misinformed about something themselves to have sent Lady Lefthand after us. She does not take being sent on wild goblin chases very kindly, and we have nothing to hide.

Unless..."

Haldran turned to Kellen, eyebrow raised.

Princess K
2015-03-04, 03:45 AM
Aenna bows again, thanking Anna again. "I will be here at noon." With that, she excuses herself and exits the warehouse. Before Anna goes to collect the next applicant, Kellen speaks up.

"Thanks Haldran; that sounds about right. They've also got pretty daughters... which is, er, completely relevant." She chuckles. "I'd heard the Prince himself was a-courting a while back. This was before he married Leandra, so no major scandal - that I know of, considering Aile Mare was more my stomping ground - but it might be relevant."

She nods, a little more seriously now. "Go on then, best of luck! [i]Try not to kill, maim or severely offend anyone unless they really deserve it, though. And I mean really, since the House of Amadeo could make a lot of trouble for us if they wanted to. Haldran - as bloody usual - is right about the other bit too. If it was them, I don't know if they'd wave false leads in front of Katka Lefthand without a very good cause."

She turns to Haldran. "There's nothing illegal happening at Tolman & Sons. Well, not right now, and "legal" is defined differently every fifty miles you go in any direction, but what we've got right now is entirely aboveboard."

The next - and only remaining - applicant is a taller man, well-muscled under dusky skin. His ears are slightly pointed and his hair is silver-white, distinctive of a half-elf with drow heritage. He carries an unstrung longbow and a quiver on his person; an archer, it seems. "Lorenzo, son of Matthew, at your service," he says smoothly. "I heard your distinguished caravan required protection of mercenary nature?"

Combat post for the crypt squad will be up tomorrow. Just wanted to get this up!

Princess K
2015-03-04, 01:15 PM
[Crypt-Squad]

The one-eyed hellhound yelps as the tanglefoot bag explodes across its body, at once adhering it to the ground and piercing it through. So bound, its mobility is diminished to the point that it has no hope of evading Sophie's furious lunge. The chill energy sears its body as fire would any other creature, even as the enormous blade slices cleanly through hellish flesh and sinew.

The creature collapses, life seeping from his body.

Meanwhile, the crimson hellhound finds itself entangled as well, surrounded by root and vine just like its brethren. The beast opens its toothy maw, vomiting up a gout of flame before it. It turns to its feet, ripping and tearing at the vegetation in an attempt to free itself.

Round 4

Red-Fur: Bloody, bruised, entangled
One-Eye: Bleeding out
Patches: Deceased

Actions:

Red-Fur:
Standard Action: Fire Breath in cone between Bolrim and itself.
Move Action: [roll0] Strength vs. DC 15 to escape entangle

One-Eye:
[roll1] Constitution vs. DC 11 to Stabilize

Battlefield Notes:
Sophie is in the entangle area with the deceased Patches and the dying One-Eye. Fizz flies overhead in the area.

Bolrim is at the edge of another entangle area, where Red-Fur sits entangled. A field of fire lies between the two, where the plant life has also been scorched away.

Escheton
2015-03-04, 02:07 PM
Sophie having expertly caught up and slain both other escaping hellhounds, Bolrim dismisses his hold over the vegetation grappling the raging lady. "Careful, this one is up to something!", the dwarf calls back as he moves around the patch of scorched earth into his own area of sorcery empowered plantlife. Although the plants manage to entangle his legs and slow him down, he manages to get into striking range of Red-Fur.

Double move, avoiding the fire. First move stopped dead soon as I enter the entanglement, second is at half speed due to it. Difficult terrain doesnt effect me.

Male LN Dwarf Fighter4//Hunter1/Inquisitor1/Investigator1/Brawler1, Level 4, Init +2, HP 26/38, Speed 20ft
Condition
Enlarged(sp) (6 rounds)
Martial Flexibility(ex)(brawler); Weapon Focus (Dorn-Dergar), (6 rounds)
Judgement(su)(inquisitor); Justice, +1 sacred to attack rolls (6 rounds)
Animal Focus(su): Ant, +2 enhancement to strength (7 rounds)

Smeggedoff
2015-03-04, 03:05 PM
Fizz grins as Sophie bisects the steaming hound, with a whoop she pulls on Peepers reins and giggles incessantly as it turns a complicated fluttery 180 and soars towards the remaining hound

Loading her rifle she sights and takes a shot at red-fur

AtS
2015-03-06, 03:31 PM
Anna beckons Lorenzo into the warehouse. "Please, take a seat, Lorenzo," she says, pointing at one of the chairs by the table. Once the mercenary is seated, she mutters a quick prayer to Brigh before looking around the room. I think I'll start off this interview as well, she thinks, rubbing her hands together. "We are looking to establish a working relationship with talented guards for our caravan. We, Tolman and Sons," she says, gesturing at the group, "have several lucrative but dangerous jobs coming up in the future. First and foremost, what is your expected pay? Then, I'd like to know about your past training, and your current allegiances, so we can avoid any potential conflicts-of-interest. Lastly, how far would you be willing to travel with us?"

Anna stares at the half-drow with a quiet intensity while waiting for his answer.

Karsh
2015-03-07, 10:08 AM
"Huh, I hadn't heard that part of the story before. Even if it's minor, I cannot possibly imagine that the story just ends there, but no matter. It is irrelevant to the task at hand."

Haldran shrugged. "Sorry, Kellen. Had to ask. You know my feelings on the subject, but I am responsible for keeping Anna out of trouble while she's here."

Princess K
2015-03-12, 03:23 AM
[Interviews]

Lorenzo bows with a flourish. "So the story begins with gold. So be it: seven days, and on each day, three gold pieces, three silver pieces and three copper pieces. Three each for life, luck and love. As for skills, I have trained for many years. Though a common minstrel's boy, I can hit a target at four hundred yards, cleave an enemy's arrow with my own, or clip a sparrow's wings with a single arrow - yet leave the bird unharmed. Those skills belong only to the hand paying my salary." The archer bows once more. "I am a mercenary; be under no illusion. But I am a good mercenary; as the gold flows, I will follow." He smiles lightly. "Within reason."

[Crypt Squad]

The last of the hellhounds stands firm against the onslaught. A bullet grazes its flesh, leaving a shallow groove and eliciting a sharp retort. As Bolrim and Sophie bear down upon the creature, it makes one final attempt to break free of its bonds before raising its head in a defiant gesture, ignoring the chaos raging around it. You can see its chest heave under its crimson coat as it sucks in a great breath, the back of its throat glowing like white-hot embers.

Round 5

Red-Fur: Bloody, bruised, entangled
One-Eye: Stable, unconscious
Patches: Deceased

Red-Fur:
Move Action:
[roll0] Strength vs DC 15 Entangle
Standard Action:
Takes a very deep breath

Sophie+Bolrim may AoO

If the Hellhound does not die:
The hellhound howls, differently than before. This is no earthly noise, no reverberation of physical sound. Something else screams through the hellhound's bloodied maw, a terrible noise like no other. When the howl ceases, the world is silent for a moment, and then something - many somethings! - howls back.

A chorus of hellish voices bays in unison, off to the east. The pack has been signaled, the hounds of hell unleashed.

tonberryking
2015-03-16, 04:23 PM
Sophie just delivers with another hopefully bisecting swing of her sword, not really caring if the hellhound is howling, yodeling or trying to start a discourse of economic freedom in a world with conflicting political powers.

AoO: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

I've been misinterpreting the elemental powers; she doesn't get them multiple times, I think, so I'm leaving that off.

Karsh
2015-03-16, 09:11 PM
Haldran raised an eyebrow at the archer's confidence. "That's quite the price you command. Perhaps worth it, if your skill is as you claim. Care to demonstrate?"

AtS
2015-03-16, 10:24 PM
Anna's cheeks flush red at the archer's remark. "I-I didn't mean to be r-rude or offend!" She barely manages to stutter this before her cheeks flush an even deeper red. She closes her eyes, collecting herself for a second, nervously twirling her dark hair around an index finger, while Haldran speaks. With a deep breath, she opens her eyes again, regaining some of her poise. "But yes, we would appreciate some proof of your talent," Anna says in agreement with her mentor. "Not that we doubt you! We just need to make sure we have the right balance of skills for this mission."