PDA

View Full Version : arcane trickster opinions.

Asuryan9
2015-02-10, 11:32 PM
So if I was going to make an arcane trickster with no damage spells, is a super high int really necessary? Or would 14(13+1 racial) be enough? I'd love to throw the 15 into charisma over int.

I assume most of the spells I will use will be illusionary and sleep.

Ohnoeszz
2015-02-11, 02:02 AM
High int is pretty unimportant for them. I'd buff charisma. Dunno if you care to multiclass at all but Warlock fits in really well with Arcane Trickster and that CHA would help that.

Asuryan9
2015-02-11, 03:06 AM
What kind of suggestions would you have to multi to warlock?

xyianth
2015-02-11, 04:42 AM
What kind of suggestions would you have to multi to warlock?

Depends on what you want to achieve. A 3-5 level dip into warlock gets you a patron feature, 2 2nd-3rd level spell slots that refresh every short rest, a pact feature, 2-3 invocations, 2-3 cantrips, and 4-6 spells known. Some good combos for rogues in general are:

fiend patron bladelock with the thirsting blade invocation (requires 5 warlock levels according to tweets from designers, can be done in 3 levels RAW)

This gives you temp hp on a kill, extra attack to ensure a extra chance at sneak attack each turn, and some decent magic tricks as well
great old one patron chainlock or tomelock with the mask of many faces invocation and friends cantrip

This makes for a very potent social character with infiltration abilities and a familiar to help grant advantage each turn helping you land sneak attacks
archfey patron chainlock or tomelock can help provide advantage on your pickpocketing attempts and a slotless fear attack to help you escape when caught

Other things you can do with a warlock dip:

darkness + devil's sight basically guarantees sneak attacks
agonizing eldritch blasts are effectively charisma based magic archery that scales by character level and uses no ammunition
using disguises via mundane means requires aptitude in disguise kits, deception, and performance skills, or you can just take the mask of many faces invocation for at-will disguise self.
chain pact familiars are wonderful scouts (and depending on the DM, they might grant you magic resistance)
tome pact cantrips can get you guidance, which is great for use outside combat when dealing with skill/ability checks
blade pact warlocks can smuggle/conceal weapons better than just about everyone

Callin
2015-02-11, 11:33 AM
Well as far as I remember Illusions use an Int save, but most things do not have a very high one so a 10+prof+1 isnt horrble.

xyianth
2015-02-11, 11:45 AM
Well as far as I remember Illusions use an Int save, but most things do not have a very high one so a 10+prof+1 isnt horrble.

I'm assuming you are referring to the disguise self bit, if not please disregard.

That is true, but disguise self is one of those special illusions that only offer a save if the target has a reason to question it. Each DM may have a different opinion on what this means, but I tend to treat it as not affording a save unless: 1) something passes through the illusion that reveals something is amiss, 2) the disguise is of a specific individual that the target knows well enough to spot irregularities, or 3) some special circumstance provides a reason to question it (like some illusion detector or detect magic revealing an illusion is in use, etc...) For uses such as changing your appearance to blend into a crowd, alter your features to avoid having consequences fall on your true identity, etc... a save is not likely to be afforded at all.

Also, the DC is based on the caster's charisma as it is a warlock spell in this instance, only those interacting with you use their int modifier to make the save.

Callin
2015-02-11, 12:12 PM
Nope was ignoring Warlock dips that were suggested. Just going off of Arcane Trickster, and yes I too believe that you must interact with an illusion to even get the save.

Edit because I misread your bonus lol. It would be a 14 DC to start with which is not horrible at all.

RulesJD
2015-02-12, 03:52 AM
So if I was going to make an arcane trickster with no damage spells, is a super high int really necessary? Or would 14(13+1 racial) be enough? I'd love to throw the 15 into charisma over int.

I assume most of the spells I will use will be illusionary and sleep.

Depends on what you want your AT to be able to do. I say at least +3 to Int mod. The AT can disadvantage a target against the first saving throw of a spell, which is IMMENSELY powerful once you get Hold Person and Suggestion.

Tenmujiin
2015-02-12, 07:18 AM
If you want to use spells with saves then your int should be second only to your dex, otherwise I'd just dump it and take charisma.