PDA

View Full Version : OK, Prestige Class question...

MisterSaturnine
2007-04-05, 11:23 PM
So I have a question about prestige classes, and it's probably going to make me seem stupid. The voices in my head tell me I still retain some sense of cleverness, though. And my mom says I'm cool, and that all the girls at school love me.

...*sobs in dry heaves*

Anyway!

Question:

Can you go into a prestige class the same level you get skill requirements for it? For example, my Bard wishes to become a Master of Masks as soon as possible, and to do that, he needs to have 8 ranks in Perform (Act), Bluff, and Disguise. Can he become a Master of Masks on the same level that he gets that 8th rank in Bluff, Perform, and Disguise?

Thanks in advance, guys, gals, and androgyns.

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-05, 11:24 PM
No.
You pick a class before you allocate skills.
'S been asked before.

MisterSaturnine
2007-04-05, 11:46 PM
Damn. Well, my search-fu is weak. In that I forgot to use it. --;

Thanks a bunch.

Lolzords
2007-04-06, 10:34 AM
Damn. Well, my search-fu is weak. In that I forgot to use it. --;

Thanks a bunch.

Glad I could help.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-06, 10:36 AM
sorry i was sleeping last night. Can i still help? :smallcool:

Krellen
2007-04-06, 10:52 AM
No.
You pick a class before you allocate skills.
'S been asked before.
Short thread, so I'll just expand a bit, so that the why of this is clear:

Without picking a class, you don't get any skill points. There are no skill points inherent in gaining a character level - the skill points come from gaining a class level, which is different. The same is true of Base Attack Bonuses, Base Save Bonuses, Hit Dice, and so on.

Virtually every PrC is designed to not be available until at least your 6th level - thus why you see so many "8 ranks of X skill" requirements. By RAW, it is impossible to take any of these classes before you reach level 6, because you need 5 levels beforehand to meet the requirements. This is intended.

Devils_Advocate
2007-04-06, 11:54 AM
You do indeed need to meet a PrC's requirements before taking your first level in the prestige class, not after taking the level. And obviously you don't get anything that a class level gives you (skill points, increases to BAB and base saves, etc.) until you take said level. I invite any who might still have trouble remembering how this goes to simply try to remember the following phrase:

"They're prerequisites, not postrequisites!"

Hopefully that will help. :smallwink:

MisterSaturnine
2007-04-06, 12:20 PM
Right, right. I probably should've thought of that...given that you wouldn't know what's class or crossclass until you'd chosen a class level. Plus all the other stuff falling under the "Duh" category. Stupid brain. Makin' me look bad. Or worse, I suppose.

Matthew
2007-04-08, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't feel bad, you're not the first person to ask this question and you won't be the last. I believe the confusion arises from how Feat Prerequisites are handled.