PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder MageKiller Barbarian (Assistance Requested)

5w337x7007h
2015-02-11, 02:34 AM
So my Reach fighter didn't fair too well, the party has no properly designated healer, and the hedge witch decides to go and do whatever she wants and gets put to sleep by the Lamia, fortunately noone murdered her in her sleep. I don't appreciate how this encounter went. Though we were technically under-leveled to begin with.

So I'm building a barbarian that murders enemy casters and distrusts magic to a degree. She knows that not all magic is bad, but she's just had bad experiences so her rage flows towards killing casters, and anyone in her way.

So far I'm going off the build in BARBARIAN AM SMASH (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ump_KFzNoD7x6aJ9ywGank5G9DzSVlef28bBbjuIq2U/edit?pli=1) build guide, but I want to know if I need any adjustments so I can survive the Rise of the Runelords campaign.

My stats are as follows,
Human, Invulnerable Rager 9,
Str 20, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 7

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-02-11, 05:16 AM
Barbarians are awesome; nonetheless, you may want to try something like this:

1)Be a Dwarf with the Steel Soul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/steel-soul) feat and the Glory of Old (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/glory-of-old-dwarf-regional-trait) trait.

You now have a +5 bonus to saves vs spells and poison.

2)Be a Bloodrager (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager).

-Use the Untouchable (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/archetypes/paizo---bloodrager-archetypes/untouchable-rager) Archetype to gain Spell Resistance and ignore spellcasting; this allows you to dump CHA.

-Use the Arcane Bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/paizo---bloodrager-bloodlines/arcane) for good anti-mage powers and awesome buffs whenever you enter a rage.

-If you really want certain rage powers(superstitious/witchhunter/spell sunder/come and get me),
use the Primalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/archetypes/paizo---bloodrager-archetypes/primalist) archetype to trade away some bloodline powers to gain rage powers instead.
If you choose this option, I suggest trading away the 4th level power for Superstitious and Witch-hunter, and the 12th level power for Spell sunder and Come and Get me.

3)???

4)Profit!

5w337x7007h
2015-02-11, 05:41 AM
Would this build style adapt to a bloodrager? I'm lookin' at DR out the butt, and most of the group is already casters.

I want to play the whole Face Fisted song, by Dethklok, for this female barbarian.

Also, would I have issues with my Amulet of Nat Armor and my Beast Totem rage power? I mean, when I'm raging, I get a nat armor bonus from beast totem, so would that override or stack with the amulet?

Also, I won't just be fighting casters, I'll be fighting enemies atleast one to three size categories bigger than I am. So I want them to regret trying to step on me.

Also, I'd rather gain the Eater of Magic rage power, over the Come and Get Me Rage Power.

5w337x7007h
2015-02-11, 07:02 AM
I'm looking at this entire concept. Untouchable Primalist with a similar build to the Invulnerable Rager mentioned before, except that I trade out accelerated DR and minor fire/coldresist, for SR equal to 8+CL +1 at 7, 10, 13, and 16th which would effectively be an SR of 32 at lvl 20. It seems cool, plus I can bloodrage and gain displacement which is adds 50% miss chance to my AC. As long as I can get my allies to buff me a bit before I bloodrage for those pains in the ass who get past the miss chance, I'll be good. Plus any spells, supernatural abilites, and spell-like abilities will have a tough time hitting me, even if my will isn't the greatest.

So...
Human Bloodrager with the Untouchable & Primalist archetype
Stats are the same, 9th level,

Str 20, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 7

Feats;1 Power Attack, Raging Vitality, 3 Improved Sunder, 5 & 7 (must replace two extra rage power feats), 9 Combat Reflexes (Bloodline feat), + an extra feat for the level.

Rage Powers; 4th Superstition, Witch Hunter, 12th Spell Sunder, Eater of Magic.

And I just realized I'm also giving up pounce from the greater beast totem too, which means I can't close the gap and still get a full-round attack until at least 16th level, through True Arcane Bloodrage, which I could use the Beast Shape IV option.

Does the seem like a fair assessment? Also, what should I put in place of the ERP feats, and what should I grab for the extra feat at 9th?

Just noticed another thing, Favored Class bonus wouldn't apply to my Superstition Rage Power, so it'd cap at 4 instead of the 7 I was looking at pumping into through Barbarian.

defiantdan
2015-02-11, 07:14 AM
from an optimization stand point barbarians can only be a caster disruptor from about 1-7th level. beyond that you're just not that scary to a caster, like any mundane. Secondly a dedicated healer in combat is a waste of space. Damage always outpaces healing. Healing is for out of combat. Unless it returns a character to taking actions again, or was a free action to cast. Find items that give temp hitpoints or restores them as immediate actions or swift since barbarians don't do much with those.

As for your build. Barbarians are most effective when they go first, charge, pounce and hit with a two handed weapon. There are a few guides out there that help with power attack combo feats.

Abrasis Mindlef
2015-02-11, 11:06 AM
Okay...

Dwarf (Untouchable, Primalist) Bloodrager

15-Pointbuy:

16 STR(10 pts)
14 DEX(5 pts)
14 CON(2 pts, +2 racial)
10 INT(0 pts)
14 WIS(2 pts, +2 racial)
5 CHA(-4 pts, -2 racial)

Alternate Racial Traits:
Giant Hunter, Rock-Stepper, Xenophobic

Traits: Glory of Old (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/glory-of-old-dwarf-regional-trait), Reactionary

Favored Class bonus: Extra rounds of Rage or +HP

1st: Bloodrage, Bloodline(Arcane), Bloodline Power(Disruptive Bloodrage), Fast Movement(+10'); Steel Soul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/steel-soul)
2nd: Uncanny Dodge
3rd: Blood Sanctuary; Improved Initiative
4th: Rage Powers(Superstition, Witch Hunter), Raging Resistance(8+CL), +1 STR
5th: Improved Uncanny Dodge; Power Attack
6th: Bloodline feat(Combat Reflexes)
7th: Raging Resistance(9+CL), DR 1/-; Lunge
8th: Bloodline Power(Greater Arcane Bloodrage), +1 STR
9th: Bloodline feat(Disruptive); Improved Sunder
10th: Raging Resistance(10+CL), DR 2/-
11th: Greater Bloodrage; Greater Sunder
12th: Bloodline feat(Spellbreaker), Rage Powers(Spell Sunder, Come and Get Me), +1 STR
13th: Raging Resistance(11+CL), DR 3/-; Dazing Assault
14th: Resistance Control, Indomitable Will
15th: Bloodline feat(Iron Will); Teleport Tactician
16th: Bloodline Power(True Arcane Bloodrage), Raging Resistance(12+CL), DR 4/-, +1 STR
17th: Tireless Bloodrage; Celestial Obedience(Arqueros)
18th: Bloodline feat(Quick Draw)
19th: DR 5/-, Reckless Rage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/reckless-rage)
20th: Mighty Bloodrage, Bloodline Power(Caster's bane), +1 STR

-------------------------------
1st level: We have base saves at +4/+2/+2; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+2 to Fort/Will if raging
+3 vs poison(Hardy+Glory of Old)
+5 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old)
+1 vs mind-affecting(Xenophobic; this doesn't apply to fear effects!)
------------------------------
4th level: We have SR 12, and base saves at +6/+3/+3; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+8 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+10 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +2 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex)
-----------------------------
8th level: We have SR 17, and base saves at +8/+4/+4; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+9 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+11 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +3 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement or Haste to augment the rage.
12th level: We have SR 22, and base saves at +10/+6/+6; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+3 to Fort/Will if raging
+10 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+12 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +4 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement or Haste to augment the rage; We have Spell Sunder, We have Come and Get Me, which allows us to counterstrike in melee
16th level: We have SR 28, and base saves at +12/+7/+9; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+11 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+13 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)
+4 vs enchantment(Indomitable will)

We also have +5 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement/Haste and Beast Shape IV/Form of the Dragon I/Transformation to augment the rage; We have Spell Sunder, We have Come and Get Me, which allows us to counterstrike in melee; we have Dazing Assault, which turns melee attacks into potential disables; we have Teleport Tactician which allows us to AoO any casters that try to teleport away
----------------------------
20th level: We have SR 32, and base saves at +14/+8/+10; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+4 to Fort/Will if raging
+12 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+14 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +6 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement/Haste and Beast Shape IV/Form of the Dragon I/Transformation to augment the rage; We have Spell Sunder, We have Come and Get Me, which allows us to counterstrike in melee; we have Dazing Assault, which turns melee attacks into potential disables; we have Teleport Tactician which allows us to AoO any casters that try to teleport away, we can AoO casters who cast defensively(Caster's bane), we can AoO anyone who charges us(Celestial Obedience - Arqueros)

The saves above are WITHOUT MAGIC ITEMS.

You can probably assume a +5 cloak of resistance, and improved ability scores, and other items that increase your defenses - a Rod of Dwarven might (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-dwarven-might) improves your racial bonus to saves by +1, for example.

Psyren
2015-02-11, 01:27 PM
Okay...

Dwarf (Untouchable, Primalist) Bloodrager

15-Pointbuy:

16 STR(10 pts)
14 DEX(5 pts)
14 CON(2 pts, +2 racial)
10 INT(0 pts)
14 WIS(2 pts, +2 racial)
5 CHA(-4 pts, -2 racial)

Alternate Racial Traits:
Giant Hunter, Rock-Stepper, Xenophobic

Traits: Glory of Old (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/glory-of-old-dwarf-regional-trait), Reactionary

Favored Class bonus: Extra rounds of Rage or +HP

1st: Bloodrage, Bloodline(Arcane), Bloodline Power(Disruptive Bloodrage), Fast Movement(+10'); Steel Soul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/steel-soul)
2nd: Uncanny Dodge
3rd: Blood Sanctuary; Improved Initiative
4th: Rage Powers(Superstition, Witch Hunter), Raging Resistance(8+CL), +1 STR
5th: Improved Uncanny Dodge; Power Attack
6th: Bloodline feat(Combat Reflexes)
7th: Raging Resistance(9+CL), DR 1/-; Lunge
8th: Bloodline Power(Greater Arcane Bloodrage), +1 STR
9th: Bloodline feat(Disruptive); Improved Sunder
10th: Raging Resistance(10+CL), DR 2/-
11th: Greater Bloodrage; Greater Sunder
12th: Bloodline feat(Spellbreaker), Rage Powers(Spell Sunder, Come and Get Me), +1 STR
13th: Raging Resistance(11+CL), DR 3/-; Dazing Assault
14th: Resistance Control, Indomitable Will
15th: Bloodline feat(Iron Will); Teleport Tactician
16th: Bloodline Power(True Arcane Bloodrage), Raging Resistance(12+CL), DR 4/-, +1 STR
17th: Tireless Bloodrage; Celestial Obedience(Arqueros)
18th: Bloodline feat(Quick Draw)
19th: DR 5/-, Reckless Rage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/reckless-rage)
20th: Mighty Bloodrage, Bloodline Power(Caster's bane), +1 STR

-------------------------------
1st level: We have base saves at +4/+2/+2; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+5 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old)
------------------------------
4th level: We have SR 12, and base saves at +6/+3/+3; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+8 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+10 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +2 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex)
8th level: We have SR 17, and base saves at +8/+4/+4; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+9 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+11 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +3 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement or Haste to augment the rage.
12th level: We have SR 22, and base saves at +10/+6/+6; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+10 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+12 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +4 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement or Haste to augment the rage; We have Spell Sunder, We have Come and Get Me, which allows us to counterstrike in melee
16th level: We have SR 28, and base saves at +12/+7/+9; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+11 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+13 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +5 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement/Haste and Beast Shape IV/Form of the Dragon I/Transformation to augment the rage; We have Spell Sunder, We have Come and Get Me, which allows us to counterstrike in melee; we have Dazing Assault, which turns melee attacks into potential disables; we have Teleport Tactician which allows us to AoO any casters that try to teleport away
----------------------------
20th level: We have SR 32, and base saves at +14/+8/+10; with a bunch of conditional modifiers...
+4 to Fort/Will if raging
+12 vs spells(Steel Soul+Glory of Old+Superstitious)
+14 vs spells from allies(see above, +Blood Sanctuary)

We also have +6 to dmg vs spellcasters(Witchhunter) and +8 Initiative(+4 feat, +2 trait, +2 Dex),
we use a 2-handed reach weapon with Combat Reflexes, Power Attack and Lunge; we have Displacement/Haste and Beast Shape IV/Form of the Dragon I/Transformation to augment the rage; We have Spell Sunder, We have Come and Get Me, which allows us to counterstrike in melee; we have Dazing Assault, which turns melee attacks into potential disables; we have Teleport Tactician which allows us to AoO any casters that try to teleport away, we can AoO casters who cast defensively(Caster's bane), we can AoO anyone who charges us(Celestial Obedience - Arqueros)

The saves above are WITHOUT MAGIC ITEMS.

You can probably assume a +5 cloak of resistance, and improved ability scores, and other items that increase your defenses - a Rod of Dwarven might (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-dwarven-might) improves your racial bonus to saves by +1, for example.

Judging by his initial (human) build, I think he has 25 point buy rather than 15.

5w337x7007h
2015-02-11, 03:51 PM
I just want to make it clear, my GM doesn't do character traits, so I can't get any of those traits that I could boon on to boost immunities and the like.

Also, wouldn't Eater of Magic be better than Come and Get Me? I could reroll a failed save against a spell and gain temp hit points equal to the caster level. I don't want them coming at me anyways, I wanna run in and cut them down a size category and finish em' off with a weapon to the head.

And if you wanna readjust my point-buy, how about this?

Str 16, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10
and after racial adjustments
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8

5w337x7007h
2015-02-11, 10:29 PM
Okay, if I drop my Wis to 12, before adjustments, I could boost my Str to 17, +2 from 4th and 8th lvl boosts, that'd be a stat line-up of Str 19, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8. Does that sound reasonable, or should I keep the 16 Wis?

Psyren
2015-02-11, 10:32 PM
Also, wouldn't Eater of Magic be better than Come and Get Me?

Yes

Okay, if I drop my Wis to 12, before adjustments, I could boost my Str to 17, +2 from 4th and 8th lvl boosts, that'd be a stat line-up of Str 19, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8. Does that sound reasonable, or should I keep the 16 Wis?

Yes (though I think you meant Wis 12 there.)

5w337x7007h
2015-02-11, 11:54 PM
Yes (though I think you meant Wis 12 there.)

Which is it sir? drop my wis a point or keep my wis where it's at?

Psyren
2015-02-12, 12:02 AM
Oh I misread - I thought your Wis was 14 before dropping it, rather than 16. Yeah you don't need a 16, that's way too high for a non-wis-based build. 12 or 14 combined with your other bonuses to saves will be fine.

5w337x7007h
2015-02-12, 02:23 PM
I found a name randomizer and under the female dwarf names was Banana. Her name is now Banana. How's this for a Dwarf name. Banana BloodHammer.

Psyren
2015-02-12, 03:55 PM
I found a name randomizer and under the female dwarf names was Banana. Her name is now Banana. How's this for a Dwarf name. Banana BloodHammer.

It's.... unique?

She must get a lot of dates :smalltongue:

5w337x7007h
2015-02-12, 04:17 PM
Only if she can find that fruit tree. Now I need to equip her and I can't spend over half of the gold on a single item. I believe starting wealth for 9th level is 46,000g. Here are the items I was looking at.

+1 Furious Earthbreaker (8,050), +2 Ring of Protection (8000), +2 Cloak of Resistance (4,000), +2 Amulet of Natural Armor (8,000), Belt of Physical Perfection +2 (16,000), and Adaptive Composite Longbow (1,100)

I'm thinking equipment adjustment is required, because this is the gear I came up with for a barbarian.
Should I drop the amulet of nat armor, and boost the cloak of resist? Spending leftovers on a bag of holding and some basic gear?

5w337x7007h
2015-02-17, 12:59 AM
I thank you guys greatly for what you've helped me with and there's one last thing I need your assistance on.
I'd seriously appreciate some help on gear for 9th level. I'm going to attempt a reprise to gain an adamantine weapon with the gold I've got, proving that a lvl 7 NPC in the codex actually has an Adamantine Battleaxe.
I know I mentioned it in a previous post, but I'd like someone to double check my work on that gear.