PDA

View Full Version : PF: Feast of the Ravenmoor Team B IC (Benson)

Pages : [1] 2

Benson
2015-02-11, 03:07 AM
Time: Toilday (Tuesday) 2 PM

Located in the Orderllia District, just south of the Yondabakari River, lay the Drunken Dog, a relatively quiet and out-of-the-way tavern. Twas of simple construction, a mix of wood and stone, two floors, with the top accommodating guests staying the night while the ground floor, the bar. Inside the tavern, it smelled heavy of wet earth and pipe tobacco despite the fairly clean appearance of the establishment, though a lot of the latter could have been attributed to the spartan look of the interior. Several simple constructed tables and chairs dotted the ground floor while towards the back was the bar with a modest collection of spirits and wines and ales from across Varisia. Six patrons would be found within the hole in the ground bar, however, you only sought one and she sat at a table farthest from the other patrons.

Jeminda herself was a nervous, mousey woman with dull brown hair and busy hands that neurotically cupped and tapped the tankard of ale she held close to her. Currently she was sporting a thick and heavy dark cloak despite the humid weather going on outside. Almost as if though she was making a check list of certain cliches to follow. 8I

** See bottom of post You do indeed confirm she’s nervous about both her missing brother-in-law and losing her job if she doesn’t find a solution to the problem.

Eventually she takes notice of you lot and wanly smiles, inviting you lot over to come and join her at the table.

"....Thank you....I know this was short notice of me...but this is important to me and I r-really do appreciate this..." Jeminda took a sharp breath, nose scrunching for a second as if though she were trying to string together a sentence before opening her mouth.

She then explained her situation with the town of Ravenmoor, the due taxes, and her missing tax collector brother in-law.

"I do beseech that you make quick haste to Ravenmoor...and discretely," She said in a hushed whisper and glanced about nervously. "Well...that is of course that you properly accept this job...I-I can pay you if that will help you with your answer.."
==

**Occasionally I will provide DCs for skill checks with information that a character could know among other sorts of skill check, such as the Optional Sense Motive Check. his is to speed certain things along so that you do not have to wait for me to respond just to say that you succeeded, failed, or information that the character would know.

*And please do roll for checks in the OOC as to avoid cluttering up the IC
====
====

Here is the OOC

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397929-PF-Feast-of-the-Ravenmoor-Team-B-OOC-%28Benson%29&p=18803363#post18803363

Llyarden
2015-02-11, 12:34 PM
Feathers rustled as one of the new arrivals took a seat, pulling down her own hood. "I'm sure we can arrange payment at a later date," Eshinae responded reassuringly. "Locating the actual cause of this problem seems more important, and I trust you to compensate us properly when we return. If I may, what was in the letter Elias sent? Did he send any word of trouble?"

Springjack
2015-02-11, 03:26 PM
A large, ruggedly-built man entered the building after the feathery woman, with a strange-looking creature bouncing enthusiastically around his heels. Pinto was roughly the size and shape of a large dog, except he had a cyclopean eye and almost cartoonishly large ears that stood straight up and wiggled around towards the slightest sound.

"We're happy to help, lassie." Fredrick boomed as he took a seat at the table with Pinto coming to rest at his feet. "Can you give us a physical description of your brother in law?"

Pinto pawed at Jeminda's leg and gave her a friendly smile. "Don't be nervous, lady person! We do good at problem solving."

Frederick flashed a toothy smile of his own. "Yes indeed. We will get to the bottom of this, one way or another." The large man's vigorous conviction had a way of making people want to believe his words.

Athaleon
2015-02-11, 05:29 PM
Next to arrive was a roguish-looking man with the dull grey of mail just visible under his collar. Despite his relative youth and the stubble on his face, the lines visible around his mouth marked him as someone who grinned widely and often. He walked right in and sat down as though he'd been a regular for years. After Jeminda said her piece he chimed in, "Payment would definitely help — Haste and discretion are valuable properties, after all. Still, for a job like this, even I wouldn't ask for payment up front. It might turn out to be nothing, you never know."

Smileybastard
2015-02-11, 08:16 PM
Azeron

Azeron stands tall slim and handsome, resplendent in his plate armor and blue cape listening and watching her as the others speak.

Sense Motive [roll0]

mote
2015-02-11, 09:52 PM
Melodrin stands next to the table, leaning casually against a wooden beam and letting the others do the talking. Details didn't interest her much.

"Happy now, old man?" she murmurs to her sword, "Maybe we can get some real practice in this time."

Eh, why not?
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Benson
2015-02-12, 01:46 AM
Jeminda did stare uncomfortably at Pinto when the eidolen spoke. Sure, in this word there were many a strange creatures and things, but this was just extra weird. She spaced out in a moment in her staring before remembering where she was at and what she was doing.

"R-right of course..." She wanly smiled at Eshinae and cradled her drink. "Well...it was a short letter that was postmarked from Galduria. He was..." She took a moment and worked her jaw and sighed to herself. "...Boasting about making the journey along the Lost Coast Road from the town of Sandpoint in record time. He predicted that if weather held, he’d be in Ravenmoor in no time and would be back in Magnimar within a week and a half. That was it really, it was brief."

"Well to be honest...appearance-wise.." She then went on to describe her brother in law for Frederick. Jeminda described Elias as a short, stocky man of Ulfen descent with a shock of red hair; blunt, ugly features (the result of one too many scuffles in taverns); coarse, patchy facial scruff; and a predilection for strong drink.

To Garren she wanly smiled and shrugged. "Well still...even if it turned out to be nothing...reimbursement for your resources used for the investigation."

Springjack
2015-02-12, 01:29 PM
Frederick listened intently as Jeminda divulged her information. Once she was done, he turned to his comrades. "Well ladies and gents, we have a location, a physical description, and a promise of payment. Any other questions or concerns?"

Athaleon
2015-02-12, 01:58 PM
"I think that about covers it. If we get going now, even with a quick stop to pick up provisions, we should be able to make good time before nightfall."

Smileybastard
2015-02-12, 02:19 PM
Azeron

Azeron speaks, finally, "I think we should proceed with haste. I see no reason to wait any longer."

mote
2015-02-12, 09:53 PM
"The sooner the better," Melodrin says, standing up straight. "Lead the way, gentlemen."

Smileybastard
2015-02-12, 10:05 PM
Azeron

Azeron turns to leave and heads out the door. "Did someone need something before we go?"

Benson
2015-02-13, 02:44 AM
(Ya'll can mention in your posts if ya went to the stores or whatever to stock up on some provision, any items purchased in this off screen time, mark em and of course, subtract their price from your gold total.)

About a week's worth of hasted traveling later...

The road to Ravenmoor was a 250 mile journey from Magnimar through foothills, forests, and marshland. Those traveling from Magnimar to Ravenmoor essentially have two choices: the Lost Coast Road or the Yondabakari River. While the Lost Coast route is overland, the river route is longer. Both routes meet up in Galduria; from there the rest of the journey is generally made via horseback along a well-traveled road on the western shore of the Lampblack River.

As the Lampblack curves away to the east, this road continues north along the edge of Churlwood, eventually reaching Roderic’s Cove and Riddleport. Travelers, such as yourselves, to Ravenmoor must abandon the road at this bend in the river to follow a little-used trail up along the river’s west banks into increasingly dreary landscapes of bogland and bleak moors. During the day, the preponderance of ravens in the skies gives subtle encouragement that one is on the right track to Ravenmoor, but as the sun sets, the mosquitoes come alive. The trail itself often winds away from the river and soggy boglands to avoid the worst of these pests, though as you near Ravenmoor, these pests become a constant annoyance.

Arodus (August) 6th, Toilday (Tuesday)

Noon

The lot of ye continue to progress down the Lampback Trail, the humidity far more worse here than it was in Magnimar, sticks your clothing to you. Cicadas chirp, mosquitoes buzz, the Lampblack River churns. Beyond the river however, you come to see farmlands stretching as far as one can see. It looked much like any other rural community. Oh and the vineyards, stretching far into the eastern hills.

Eventually you come across two ramshackle shacks flank the Lampblack here, sheds to house a flat-bottom ferry. Tightly drawn ropes cross the river, part of a cranked pulley system that draws the barge across the black water. You hear the sounds of a squeaking rocking chair from the shack on your side of the river and spy a crooked-backed, thin-haired man in brown trousers and a stained white cotton long sleeved shirt. Suspenders held his trousers up. He was chewing on a piece of straw. He watched you all with an interested look, a jug of spirits in his hand.

"My oh my...visitors....ain't that a sight hehe," He said with a whistle in his way of speaking, like was missing teeth or something. "Now the question is....what gone does bring visitors ta this little hole east of the Churlwood?" He bemusedly looked at them and rocked in his chair.

Smileybastard
2015-02-13, 06:10 AM
Azeron

"Good day my good man." Ready to state exactly what they are up to Azeron recalls that they had been asked to be discrete. He stops speaking and looks to his companions. He disliked withholding the truth, bu if something here was seriously wrong ... a man had vanished.

He focused on the man, looking into his soul.

Detecting Evil on the man.
Sense motive [roll0] to see if he is as he says

Llyarden
2015-02-13, 06:52 AM
"We're headed to Ravenmoor," Eshinae replies, not noticing that Azeron had specifically avoided revealing just that. "I don't suppose you know who runs the barge, do you?"

Benson
2015-02-13, 11:38 AM
As far as Azeron could tell, the sir was not fibbing in anyway so far, nor was he radiating auras of evil. Not that it didn't stop him from having that creepy 'Ya got a purty mouth' vibe anyway. :P

The sir stared at Eshinae and raised a brow at her feathery look. "Yer lookin' right at 'em little missy~...Skinder is mah name and fer 1 silver piece fer ya folk each, I kin ferry ya across the ol great Lampblack....Though a warnin I give prospectin patrons..."

"Us locals call it the 'wolf of the water'...prowls the river lookin ta 'eat childrens' guts...not that I reckon it ain't too picky, " He crookedly smiled and wheezingly laughed. He then pointed to a deformed skull hanging on the shack. "The critter usually hangs around fer a couple of weeks 'fore movin' on."

"So if'n yuns still hankerin..." He rubbed his thumb and index finger together indicating 'coin'.

Springjack
2015-02-13, 03:23 PM
The day was sticky and the bug swarms thick, yet somehow Frederick's bald head was almost devoid of any kind of bites or stings ( arms and legs were a different story however). It seemed almost as if even mindless mosquitoes were respectful of the large man's face.

Frederick reached into his pocket and procured a gold piece, flipping it into Skinder's outstretched hand. "Keep the change." He boomed, flashing the old man his signature wall of teeth. "Now, take a good look at us friend. Do you see a group of people who would be bothered by a river monster?" Standing before the old hick was a six foot tall man with an eight foot tall spear, plus four other adventurers, decked out in gear and armed to the teeth.

"If the wolf of the water decides to pay us a visit, it may quickly find that we do not suit its tastes.

mote
2015-02-13, 03:54 PM
Melodrin grins faintly at Frederick as he speaks and lays a hand on Kyomorin's hilt. The dreariness of the bog put her in good spirits after all this traveling in the blinding midday sun.

She hands the old man a coin. "You must have warrior's blood, old man, to work in such dangerous waters."

Athaleon
2015-02-13, 04:59 PM
Garren had looked uncomfortable as all hell in the humid weather, and constantly slapping bugs off his neck. At every stop, if no one else was around, he paused to activate a magical effect that cleaned the sweat and grime off himself. On this one, he just had to stand there tugging awkwardly at the clothing stuck to his skin. Fishing through his pocket, he produced a coin and handed it over with a grin."River monster, huh. I'm sure we can handle it... whatever it is." He squinted at the hanging skull the old man had pointed at. "I don't suppose you get a lot of people coming through here?"

Smileybastard
2015-02-13, 07:25 PM
Azeron

Azeon looks at the water, the man and the ferry. "Somehow, I can't see this creature being much of a threat as my companions have said. Let's go."

Benson
2015-02-14, 01:59 AM
Skinder was more than happy to snag their coin and drop each one into a little pouch of his. He crookedly grinned and gestured that they make their way onboard the ferry. At their comments about the 'wolf of the water' was no threat to them, he just casually and noncommittally shrugged.

"Why thank ya little missy heheh.." He said to Melodrin as he followed behind after everyone got on the ferry. He took a moment to consider Garren's question. "Well, we ain't in the business of gettin much in way of visitors, but occasionally folks drop by, 'n the rare trader caravan. Ravenmoor's a quiet town, like ta keep ta ourselves, tightly knit community ya know?"

Smileybastard
2015-02-14, 02:56 PM
Azeron

As the man prepares the ferry, Azeron chats him up to see what he can learn about Ravenmoor. "They are not overly fond of strangers?"

Diplomacy [roll0] +1 more if he is already friendly.

Benson
2015-02-14, 03:18 PM
"We is more fond of strangers' coin," He continued to crookedly grin. "Why right now I reckon ya'll are my best friends." He shamelessly patted his coin pouch as he resumed operating the pulley system.

Springjack
2015-02-14, 03:26 PM
I would say that strangers aren't overly fond of Ravenmoor. Frederick mused out loud. Forget the wolf of the waters; Skinder you are a brave man for putting up with these damned mosquitoes.

Athaleon
2015-02-15, 12:20 AM
"I can't imagine why, muttered Garren under his breath. "What do the bugs eat when they can't get stranger?" The rickety ferry was doing nothing for his demeanor. Instinctively, he reached around his back for the tenth time since boarding to check that his bow was still there.

Benson
2015-02-15, 01:22 AM
Skinder let out a wheezy chuckle at Frederick and gave a flourishing bow as he continued to operate the pulley system, the ropes squeaking and stretching, and the flat bottom ferry itself creaking.

"Now that thar be a mystery on its own heheh." He grinned at Garren. Eventually and finally they crossed the river as with a loud thunk, the ferry bumped into the small and short dock and shack on the other side.

"Whelp...here we is...officially now in Ravenmoor land heheh." He let out another wheezing laugh and watched everyone step off the ferry. "I'mma be headin back...if'n ya need me for yer return trip...there's a bell...I'll probably hear it hehehe." He crookedly smiled and gave them a tip of his hat as he slowly began his return trip.
--

One of the main sights the gang would be hit with was...corn....Cornfields just everywhere on both sides of the wide winding path into the village. They would spy a couple of straw roofed houses jutting out in the distances among in the cornfield, but it was probably better to stick to the path, maybe.

Suddenly, the gang would hear the cry of what seemed to be the voice of a young boy, well, crying out.

“Aaaaaaplesaaaauce! Here boy! C’meer boy!” They would hear, followed by some whistling, as if a child were seeking a missing puppy.

Azeron would hear the sound of soft rustling in the tall cornfields at the right side of the road

Springjack
2015-02-15, 02:18 AM
Not dealing with any river monsters was a relief (and admittedly, slightly disappointing) and the remainder of the group's treck to Ravenmoor seemed to be shaping up as uneventful as well.

Pinto, the well-spring of boundless energy, was bouncing enthusiastically along the path, periodically disappearing into rows of corn before popping back out in a random place a few feet away. If it weren't for the odd physical differences and otherworldly aura about the eidolon (plus the fact that he could talk), one could easily mistake Pinto for a strange dog of some sort. Frederick was amused by his companion's antics. At least one of them was enjoying themselves in this bug-infested heat.

Frederick stopped when he heard the child's call, staring quizzically in the voice's general direction before looking at his comrades. Seems like some poor critter finally gave its master the old slip. What do you think of that, eh Pinto? The large man grinned at his eidolon, who grinned right back, revealing a mouthful of a dirty, half-chewed corn cob it rooted up somewhere. No way! You'se a good boy! Lot's of fun!

Pinto's response prompted a hearty roar of laughter from Frederick. You lot hear all that? I'm a good boy. You can't complain the next time I make you get up before dawn.

Smileybastard
2015-02-15, 04:53 AM
Azeron

Azeron looks to the right and whispers "I think someone or something is in the corn on our right."

Perception to see the source of the sound. [roll0]

Benson
2015-02-15, 05:06 AM
Azeron sees what seems to be an oversized monstrous red mosquito coming towards them, this insectoid creature has two pairs of bat wings, a tangle of thin legs, and a needle-sharp proboscis. It flies in an erratic zig zag motion toward their general direction. Up and down, right to left, buzzing away. It is about a foot long in size.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/79501/stirge.jpg

It seems to be moving towards Eshinae's direction. At this point everyone can see, but thanks to Azeron's mention, no one is caught off guard by the erratically moving critter.

Smileybastard
2015-02-15, 05:12 AM
Azeron

The horrific nature of the thing catches him off-guard, but he acts reflexively. Azeron draws his greatsword and moves between Eshinae and the abomination.

Initiative 1d20

Springjack
2015-02-15, 01:35 PM
Frederick grimaced when the giant insect flew out of the grass and toward them. Gods be damned, as if the little ones weren't annoying enough. But something was off about this critter. For one, it didnt seem particularly threatening, just confused.

"Hold it, friends. That thing seems more confused than dangerous." he raised a hand up as the giant mosquito thing flew closer. "I think that's...Applesauce?"

Stranger pets have been kept after all.

Smileybastard
2015-02-15, 02:05 PM
Azeron

"I have my doubts about that, but I will avoid attacking unless it attacks us."

mote
2015-02-15, 02:48 PM
Startled, Melodrin glares at the creature, blade drawn. She seems to be having an argument with someone under her breath ("Yeah, yeah. I get it...One with my surroundings...What? A hundred Broken Branch forms by tomorrow? Come on...Okay, fine. Now can we get back on track?")

"It's a stirge," she tells the others. "Nasty magic mosquito. I can't imagine any sane person keeping one as a pet."

Athaleon
2015-02-15, 06:12 PM
Garren had his bow out and an arrow nocked at the first warning of trouble. He nearly shot the creature until the others waved it off, though he still had the bow half-drawn. "What do you suppose it eats with that big needle of a mouth?" He shook his head. "Can't imagine anyone keeping one for long without someone else ventilating it."

Benson
2015-02-15, 09:50 PM
The stirge weaved out of Azeron's path and settled on the back of Garren's neck, latching on. Bzzz Bzzz. It felt weird.

"Appppplllleeeesaaaaaaaaaauuuce where're ya at boy??!!" The child's voice rang out from the direction of the cornfield.

Smileybastard
2015-02-16, 12:14 AM
Azeron

Seeing the bloodsucker latch on to Garren's neck, moves to his aid and swings his sword at the beast.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Springjack
2015-02-16, 12:40 AM
Maybe the bug was indeed the lost "Applesauce" and perhaps it was a docile creature, but Frederick wasn't about to risk one of his own becoming a delicious smoothie for an over-sized mosquito on account of a hunch. He jammed his longspear into the dirt, aiming to try and pry the sucker off of Garren, but the vigilant paladin had already made his move.

Frederick crossed his arms. "HEY! BOY-O! Yes, you in the cornfield! You'd best get over here right now!" he bellowed towards the rustling corn stalks from whence the young boy's voice came from. It was high time to set things straight for the record.

Benson
2015-02-16, 12:43 AM
The stirge buzzed as it continued to rest on Garren's neck and back for a few seconds, not quite doing the mosquito thing when whoosh came Azeron's sword. The sword edge an inch away from hitting Garren as the stirge fell towards the ground, twas now bleeding out in the process of dying.

Bzz bzz twitch.

Twas then a young eight year old lad emerged from the cornfields as he was in the process of yelling out this 'Applesauce'. The lad had a ragged mop of black hair, filthy home-spun clothes, and mud caking his hands and feet. A wide eyed mortified expression hits his face as his gaze falls upon the twitching dying stirge.

"A-Applesauce??!!..." The young boy cried out and rushed to the side of the dying stirge. "Y-you hurt him...He’s was just a-scairt!”" The young boy cried out and cradled the wounded or dying stirge in his arms and began to sob loudly. The stirge faintly bzz'd.

Springjack
2015-02-16, 12:49 AM
Ah, damn it. I was afraid of this. Frederick kneeled down so that he didn't tower over the boy, his face taking on a softer, more fatherly countenance. He would make no apologies for his comrade's actions; Azeron had anticipated a threat and acted and Frederick would've done the same. However, they needed to fix their mistake, regardless of initial intentions. I'm so sorry my boy. Your...little friend there gave us a bit of a scare for a moment. But don't worry! We'll fix him up as good as new! I promise, we'll be gentle this time.

The large man gave Azeron a nod. The warrior of light had a healing touch almost as potent as his blade. Azeron, would you be so kind as to help this young man's companion?

[roll0] Diplomacy

Smileybastard
2015-02-16, 01:07 AM
Azeron

Azeron reaches over and places his hand on the creature and sends positive energy into it.

Lay on hands [roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-02-16, 01:12 AM
Azeron

"I am truly sorry, my boy. as my friend has said I will make him better."

Lay on hands again [roll0]

Benson
2015-02-16, 01:58 AM
The boy held the stirge possessively as Fred tried to console him, eventually the wailing boy tuned it down to sniffles and loosened his hold on Applesauce. The stirge's near fatal wounds began to heal as it was stabilized in the process by Azeron, currently it was now in a sleeping-resting state, still alive, as the boy cradled the stirge.

Sniff sniff. "Applesauce..." The boy gently nuzzled the stirge, body still shuddering from his bout of crying a moment ago. "Is...is Applesauce gonna be 'kay?" He asked aloud though he didn't make eye contact with them.

Llyarden
2015-02-16, 07:10 AM
Eshinae had quietly put her bow away, very aware that the only reason she hadn't put a few arrows in the creature was the risk of hitting Garren in the process. "He'll be perfectly fine, don't worry," she said reassuringly, crouching down also, feathers rustling. "Did he get out of your house or something?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

mote
2015-02-16, 10:49 AM
Melodrin sheathes her sword and moves near Azeron. "Don't worry," she mutters to him. "If you hadn't done it, I would. I'm curious to know what he feeds that thing."

Smileybastard
2015-02-16, 11:22 AM
Azeron

"Applesauce will be fine in a few days. if you tell me where you live I will come and check on him later if I am able", Azeron says in a calming manner.

He nods to Melodrin in thanks. "Applesauce maybe?"

Benson
2015-02-16, 11:56 AM
The boy just continued to nuzzle what was apparently his pet. "Cleaning his cage....got loose.." He mumbled out still not glancing up for eye contact.

Athaleon
2015-02-16, 01:47 PM
Garren was stunned for a while, first from the creature latching on to his neck, then from having a sword slice come within inches of said neck. Too late to stammer a thanks to the others, now that the kid was present, he could only rub the back of his neck nervously. What a mess, their first action in Ravenmoor was to hurt some kid's pet. Better try to smooth this over as best he could.

"I thought he was after my blood like all the other needle-mouth bugs out there. Look, if I had a pet wolf, and it jumped on you, and you didn't know it was friendly, wouldn't you be scared too?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Springjack
2015-02-16, 03:28 PM
You should think about making Applesauce a nice collar so people will know he's docile. Frederick added. But enough of that for now. What's your name lad? Do your parents know you're out here alone?

Benson
2015-02-17, 02:02 AM
The young boy just kept his head bowed as he held his pet stirge. "....Maybe...." He mumbled out at Garren and let out a deep breath from trying to hold in his fading shuddering.

"My name ....uhm...it'sa Ornigaard...uhm...well, I told mah sis I was ah gunna search fer Applesauce....Pa...I reckon he might get a lil upset if'n he knew I ax-cee-dintly let Applesauce loose....a'gin." He puffed his cheeks looking shy and bashful about it.

Springjack
2015-02-17, 02:33 AM
Ornigaard eh? That's a good name. Despite his size and boisterous nature, Frederick was surprisingly gentle with children. My name is Frederick and these are my good friends. he said, waving to the others and his eidolon. We are travelers on our way to Ravenmoor.

Hi friend! I'm Pinto. I like the crunchy yellow stuff over there! Pinto added in some deep thoughts of his own.

Frederick rose to his full height and smiled at the boy. Come then Ornigaard, let's get you home and let your father know that you are alright. Get Mister Applesauce get some rest as well.

mote
2015-02-17, 09:26 AM
Melodrin casually draws Kyomorin on the pretext of polishing the blade with a small cloth (Really, she wants his assistance in reading the boy's response). "Say, kid, you don't remember seeing an ugly man with red hair come through here a few weeks past, do you?"

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Benson
2015-02-17, 11:31 AM
"'Kay..I guess..." He mumbled out and half nodded as he stood up, holding onto to his pet stirge close to him. Nuzzle. He glanced up at Melodrin with her sword out and stiffen for a second, that was a little scary.

He shook his floppy haired head in response shyly. "Uhm....ya should talk to my pa... he knows everythin'.” For Melodrin, the shy boy was telling the truth.

mote
2015-02-17, 09:10 PM
Melodrin slips Kyomorin back into his scabbard. Neither of them were much good with human children. "Well, then suppose you could show us to your...pa then?"

Benson
2015-02-18, 02:08 AM
He slowly nodded his head, and holding Applesauce close, he began to shuffle on, taking a glance at everyone, Pinto included, though the kid had a pet stirge, he still found pinto weeeeeird.

Ornigaard led them into town to his home—a simple farmhouse that lay just north of the town’s trading post as they would see as they passed it by. In their walk, townsfolk watched them with narrowed eyes and would respond with curt greetings if greeted. Ornigaard walked up on the porch and looked back at them. "Ya'll stay out here...I'mma get mah pa." He nodded and went inside. Meanwhile, there were several rubber necking folks walking past on the other side of the dirt road, watching 'dem strangers and their weird dog mascot.

A moment later, a young thirty something year old farmer with short dark brown hair and a chin curtain beard walked out, dressed in a blue long sleeves cotton shirt and dark brown trousers kept fairly clean and maintained. Behind him Ornigaard appeared, now without Applesauce.

"So yer the ones that gave mah boy a fright eh?" He eyed the each of them, his tone though wasn't accusing, just factual. He stepped forward to them and squinted his eyes upon seeing Pinto. "What in Desna's name.." He glanced up back at the group with blue eyes asking for an answer.

Athaleon
2015-02-18, 01:17 PM
Garren maintained a neutral expression, but inwardly cursed himself. Their party was supposed to be incognito, but unless some of the others had done some talking amongst themselves, he hadn't come up with any sort of cover story. Better stall for time.

"Ah, yes sir, the boy's pet stirge landed on my neck and my good friend here felt obliged to remove it. We didn't know it was tame."

Springjack
2015-02-18, 01:57 PM
Yes indeed. Frederick reached out and engulfed the man's hand in a vigorous handshake. Frederick Faithful. I would like to apologize for upsetting your boy. As my friend here stated, we thought the stirge to be a wild one. We encounter many hostile creatures in our travels, so you must understand the situation.

However! I take full responsibility of what transpired and we wish to see Mister Applesauce make a full recovery. If there is anything you need, do not hesitate to ask me. You will find that I am true to my surname.

Frederick relinquished his grip and scratched Pinto behind the ear, turning back to the boy's father with a smile. Now this odd little fellow is my compatriot, Pinto. Don't be alarmed; he is quite friendly. Frederick held up his left hand to the man. An odd, glowing rune was etched into his palm. Pinto, sit up.

The eidolon obliged his master and sat on his hind-paws, revealing the same glowing rune on his underbelly before dropping back down on all fours again. Nice to meet you sir! Please don't be mad at master and friends! They nice people. Pinto was all smiles and enthusiasm and wiggly ears; if dogs could talk, they'd probably sound a bit like him.

He is my familiar, my..."Applesauce" if you will. Of course, the bond between summoner and eidolon was a bit more complicated than that of a wizard and his pet, but Frederick decided that his extraplanar talents should be kept on a need-to-know basis. Explaining what an eidolon was usually resulted in blank stares and a lot of head scratching from the commonfolk. I understand the bond between a boy and his pet very well.

Benson
2015-02-19, 02:26 AM
When Fredrick went in for a sudden handshake, the farmer was a little surprised by the suddenness but none the less shook his hand firmly and listen to what they had to say. When that was done he held up his hand dismissively. "Ya ain't gotta worry 'bout Applesauce, but uhm, thanks fer the offer, mighty nice fer a stranger." He gave an abrupt nod. He then glanced down at his son who was hiding behind his right side.

"What I tell ya Orni about when ya clean his cage?...Sigh, boy, I told you ta keep the windows and doors shut when yer cleanin Applesauce's cage," He lightly chastised the boy and shook his head with a sigh.

"Yessir, uhm, sorry..." He softly mumbled out. His father sighed to himself again and then rustled his son's hair.

"Just go back in the house and take care of Applesauce, ya hear?"

"Yessir," Ornigaard softly said and shuffled back into the house, forgetting about the reason why he brought them here.

"Mmmm," He turned his attention to Garren for a moment. "Yes'm....most city folks don’t understand these buggers.” He explains. “Lotsa folks here keep ’em as pets. They’re really kinda friendly once you give them a chance.” He nodded twice.

"But anyways....what are strangers doin' in Ravenmoor anyway?..." He eyed them up and down examining their clothing and wears. "Mercenaries?....Well, there ain't much in work here or a tavern.." He looked at them with a little uncertainty. "Name is Viorec Korzha ta make this talk all proper like."

Athaleon
2015-02-19, 08:17 PM
"Should have introduced myself first. Garren Finn", he said simply. "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Korzha. But if all is well following our unfortunate misunderstanding with Applesauce, we really should be on our way."

Springjack
2015-02-19, 09:36 PM
It was prudent to keep the reason the group was in Ravenmoor on a need-to-know basis. Of course, searching for a missing person would prove difficult if they kept completely silent about it.

There is one more thing. We are looking for a friend that visited Ravenmoor recently, Mr. Korzha. He's hard to miss; red hair, ugly mug, loves a strong drink and a good scrap. Seen anyone like that lately? While Frederick asked about Jeminda's brother-in-law, Pinto sat by his side, quietly staring at Viorec. The eidolon was jolly and simple in personality, but it had extremely good eyesight and a knack for reading body language.

[roll0]

Benson
2015-02-20, 02:17 AM
Viorec narrowed his eyes in thought looking stern, mouth slightly opened, right hand stroking his beard. "Hmm, yea, I rememba', a funny-lookin' redhead, yea, saw 'em in town several weeks ago, durin' last month’s Founders’ Festival. He didn’t mix much with the locals—he spent most of his time talkin' to the mayor if'n I recall correctly. Somthin' 'bout taxes?...That's what I heard." He shrugged and shook his head. From what Pinto is able to determine, Vioric was being honest and straightforward.

Smileybastard
2015-02-20, 07:08 AM
Azeron

Azeron nods as Viorec mentions about Korzha speaking with the Mayor. This seems almost too simple.

mote
2015-02-20, 09:32 AM
"I don't suppose you saw him leave town?" Melodrin asks a little wryly.

Benson
2015-02-20, 11:49 AM
His gaze fell on Melodrin as he furrowed his brows catching her tone. "As far as I know, he left the next mornin', I certainly ain't seen 'em since." He casually crossed his arms over his chest and stared at the group. "What's this all about anyway?"

Springjack
2015-02-20, 10:30 PM
Pinto mentally relayed the man's honesty and Frederick was satisfied for now. Viorec seemed to be a straightforward man who legitimately knew little about the missing tax collector. Our red-headed friend Elias has been missing ever since he visited Ravenmoor and his family is starting to get worried. We are just here to follow up and see if we can't sniff out some leads. It seems our next step is to see the mayor then. The tax issue would be best left for a conversation with the mayor.

Frederick flashed the farmer a shiny smile. You've been most helpful, Mister Korzha. Sorry to have disturbed you and yours.

Benson
2015-02-21, 03:35 AM
"Nah, its fine, ya ain't annoyed me yet," He said with a small relaxed smile. "Haven't caused any real trouble, so yer good, heh. Well..I ain't wantin' ta hold ya...well hold on...Hmm, are ya plannin' on attendin' the Founder's Day festival by chance?"

Smileybastard
2015-02-21, 03:26 PM
Azeron

"We were unaware of it. Would outsiders be welcomed?"

Springjack
2015-02-21, 08:03 PM
Sounds like fun. Frederick rubbed his chin thoughtfully. We need to settle our business with the mayor first, but if the townsfolk will have our company, I don't see why not. It might be an interesting experience. Frederick looked to his companions with an inquiring eye. What do you think mates? Shall we join in on the festivities for a day? The festival was a good excuse for the group to stick around and do some extra investigation on the missing tax collector. Plus, wherever there was a celebration, there was invariably ample drink and Frederick was not one to turn down good booze.

Benson
2015-02-22, 12:46 AM
"Well they ain't not welcomed," Korzha scratched the back of his head. "We don't usually have folks comin around the time of the Founder's Day Festival, when we ever do git visitors, kinda an amused coinkydink that we git two sets off visitors though on the day heh. Ya know, yer friend yer lookin fer and well you fellers."

"Well, it starts up 'round three o clock at the festival grounds north 'a town, ain't hard ta miss at all. Hmmm....well...I gotta go git makin sure Orni is all cleaned...I swear that boy sometimes." He shook his head and sighed and then gave a parting nod to the adventurers and went back in his house.

Smileybastard
2015-02-22, 09:29 AM
Azeron

Azeron smiles, "I agree. I would enjoy taking in the festival."

mote
2015-02-22, 12:14 PM
Melodrin shrugs at Frederick, eager to get on with their business. "There'll be plenty of time to practice after," she mutters to Kyomorin.

Athaleon
2015-02-22, 01:04 PM
"Sounds like fun," Garren put in at length. "Don't think it'll be extravagant if it's a monthly festival, but hopefully we can find our man in time to catch the end of it... Wait, when you said two sets of visitors, who was with Elias on his way through?"

Benson
2015-02-22, 10:39 PM
Vioric Korzha tilted his head, arms crossed over his chest as he stopped to turn. "Hauh?...No one...by 'set of visitors'...it is like I said...yer friend, who I guess is named Elias and you lot."

<'Sense Motive DC 0', its just accidentally confusing durr wording on the GM's part xD>

But anyways, after that little moment and some simple directions for the mayor's house, presumably the posse make their way towards where the mayor lived, the gang would pass by a few interesting sights through the village along the path to the mayor's house.

They would pass by a clothing shop, a barber-surgeon shop, according to the images on the signs that hung over the doors. Interestingly there was a ruined church of Desna, the ceiling of this abandoned church has mostly caved in, and while the church’s two-story steeple still stands, the bell that once hung within appears to be missing. They would pass by the festival grounds, a large field that had been fenced off, creating an area where tents, benches, and tables have been set out for today’s festival and celebration. Lastly, they would pass by a large ring of black river stones. Tall stacked rock columns encompass an open-air amphitheater built against a steeply sloped sandstone outcropping. Stone benches sit nearby, while a misshapen wicker and corn-husk figure with mossy canvas wings looms over an altar stone at the far side.

Eventually they would come across the mayor's house. This clapboard, saltbox-style house is the largest home in town. Built on a barren hill, the building has a two-story facade that slopes down to a single-story rear with the large, protruding chimney of a centrally placed hearth. The house seems inviting, and much better maintained than Ravenmoor’s other buildings.

Though before you are able to knock on the door, you are approached by a surly-looking young man after abandoning some yard work. He was thick and stocky with a wide shaped rectangular head. He narrowed his eyes staring at them.

"Whadda ya want and who are ya? This is mah and mah brother's house."

mote
2015-02-22, 11:49 PM
Melodrin narrows her eyes as they pass the remnants of the church, "I got the sense these were your standard backwater Varisian Desna-nuts. Why would they let their church go to ruin like that?"

She eyes the odd amphitheater suspiciously as they pass it but says nothing as they reach the mayor's house, preferring to let the slicker tongues do the talking.

Can I glean anything from that amphitheater setup?
Knowledge(Arcana): [roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-02-23, 06:45 AM
Azeron

"I suspect because you were wrong and they are not your standard backwater Varisian ... Desna worshipers or at least are not anymore."

mote
2015-02-23, 11:47 AM
"I heard the kid's father invoke Desna's name. Seems they don't take their oaths to gods very seriously."

Springjack
2015-02-23, 12:49 PM
As the group waxed philosophical about church architecture and backwater religion, another one of the townsfolk wandered up to them. Unlike Vioric though, this one seemed a lot less friendly. Frederick folded his arms and gave the sour-looking man a level stare, sizing him up. The mayor's brother, it seemed. Just here on business, lad. We need to speak with the mayor.

Benson
2015-02-23, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately Melodrin would not glean much arcane-wise from the set up as it seemed more of a religious thing. Which makes me sad because....oooh that natural 20, my tears. ;_;

"He's busy," He said gruffly with narrowed eyes. His right hand flexed over the sickle at his side as he watched them. "Ya best should move on right now, strangers." He grunted. He made himself stand tall and look larger.

Springjack
2015-02-24, 12:55 AM
Frederick wasn't convinced. The young hick seemed to be more worried about running strangers out of his town than being any kind of help; he thought he would be threatening with his size, but Frederick was no small man himself. Young pup, I've picked leftover meat out of my teeth tougher than you, so you'd best take a step back. Frederick showed off his patented wall of teeth to the angry looking man, rising to his full height to further drive the point home. The sooner we conclude our business here, the sooner we'll be out of your hair. I would like to be civil during our time in Ravenmoor, understand? The summoner's stern voice made it clear that the group wasn't going anywhere soon.

Benson
2015-02-24, 02:01 AM
The young heavyset fella snorted and smirked. "That don't scare me...why don't ya put yer teeth to yer...fists...dhuh.......Yea." He then made with spittin on the ground and tightened his hold on his sickle. Though before things could come to shenanigans, the front door opened.

"Leonard, are you done with the---" A tall, lean man with a severe bearing, a keen but surprised stare, and an imposing mien stepped out. He blinked in confusion at first then fell into a warm and friendly smile. "Hello and greetings." The man then glanced the body language between Frederick and this young sir named Leonard. "Uh, is there a problem here?" He inquisatively turned his head.

"No, none problems here..." Leonard put on an expression of disinterest and stepped aside and went silent.

The other man furrowed his brows and worked his jaw and glanced at the group. "My apologies if my brother gave you lot any trouble." He frowned. "He is not used to dealing with new people, prefers to shoo them away before he has to." He shot a chastising glower at his brother before perking up again.

"Ah..where are my manners, ahem, welcome to Ravenmoor, I am Mayor Kriegler," He presented himself with a flourishing bow. Description-wise, he had smooth, brushed back hair, bright blue eyes, a well trimmed full doorknocker beard and mustache. He was dressed in a nice dark brown suit with a white cotton shirt underneath. He carried himself with a welcoming friendliness as he smiled at the party. His hand stuck out for a handshake.

Athaleon
2015-02-24, 02:27 AM
"Now that's more like it! Garren Finn", he introduced himself as he shook the mayor's hand. He quickly introduced the rest of the party in turn. "May we talk somewhere more private?"

Smileybastard
2015-02-24, 06:08 AM
Azeron

Azeron shakes the Mayor's hand and bows slightly in an odd combination. "Thank you, we certainly do not seek any ill will. We are merely seeking the whereabouts of an acquaintance of ours."

Diplomacy [roll0] +1 more if he is already friendly.

Springjack
2015-02-24, 09:51 PM
No harm done. Frederick replied, shaking the mayor's hand and introducing Pinto in turn. Handling obstinate upstarts like Leonard was nothing new to the navy veteran. It's a fine town you have here mayor.

mote
2015-02-24, 11:21 PM
Melodrin gives the mayor a short bow (more of a nod, really) and darts a sideways glance at Leonard.

Benson
2015-02-25, 02:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/N5TNtLN.jpg

"Hauh? Ah yes of course, we can speak in the parlor room," He smiled and gave them a brief nod as he welcomed them into his house. Inside after they first enter, a large fireplace dominates this cozy and inviting living room, warming simple but well-made couches and chairs. A small tabletop shrine contained a large candle, strips of dried flayleaf, and several heavily charred Desna effigies woven from the flayleaf strips. On the floor lies a large bear rug. He gestures to a side doorless room, the parlor room to be exact. This comfortable room contains richer appointments than the livingtoom, from velvet cushions to the elaborately carved legs of the table and chairs. A large oil painting of a stately woman dominates a single wall, a plaque on the frame identifies her name as Iola Krieger and role in the village’s history as the original town founder. She is depicted with mothlike wings that spread over what look to be two druids, depicted in the foreground. There are two cushioned chairs and one two seater couch.

"Please, make yourselves comfortable," Kriegler gestured to the chairs and couch. "Thank you by the way, for the compliment on the village. " He said to Frederick. "She is not much at first glance but I feel she has a breadth of wonders to offer." He then furrowed his brows. "Right...there was that other matter mentioned....what was this about an acquaintance you seek?"

mote
2015-02-25, 06:45 PM
Melodrin remains standing, arms crossed, and eyes the portrait warily. "A tax collector came through here a few weeks back. His family hasn't heard from him since. We were hoping you could offer some help as to his whereabouts."

Springjack
2015-02-25, 10:22 PM
He would be hard to miss. Short man, red hair. Frederick added. It would seem that the collection agency has not heard back from him either.

Benson
2015-02-25, 11:33 PM
Kriegler's mood darkened a bit as he sighed to himself and took a seat one of the armchairs. He worked his jaw while glancing at everyone in turn. "Ah yes....that. It is true that Ravenmoor has not paid her taxes for quite some time, though I do not understand why they did not send tax collectors on a regular basis." He sighed again and nodded. "I do recall of whom you speak of, tck, he wasted no time making a fool of himself—ordering townsfolk around and making unreasonable demands when he should have just come to me first. It was not the best of first impressions, perhaps that was also why Leonard was so...hostile with you, again, sorry for that.” He apologetically smiled and rested his arms on the armrests of the chair.

Athaleon
2015-02-26, 01:35 AM
"Any clue where he went?" Garren put in. "Or, can you think of anyone that he pissed off in particular?"

Benson
2015-02-26, 11:21 AM
The mayor shook his head. "Not really, but once your friend did reach me, I assured him the taxes would be paid in full, I just needed sometime to scrape together the funds. I invited him to stay in my home and
enjoy that month’s festival, but he had little interest in what he called backwoods hootenannies.” Mayor Kriegler sighed to himself and shook his head.

"He did though take my offer of board, though, and went to bed early. The next morning, I paid him the taxes in a locked coffer, and he left town just before dawn, I presumed heading back to Magnimar."

You are able to tell by a small change of body language, that the last bit may not be entirely truthful and can call him out on it.

Smileybastard
2015-02-26, 12:09 PM
Azeron

Azeron nods. "So it would seem he came, was paid and left. I suppose something must have happened to him on the way home then. Have you heard and rumors about something happening to him or any general dangers?"

Diplomacy to keep things friendly [roll0] +1 if they are already friendly
Sense motive to read him [roll1]

"An early riser are you?"

Springjack
2015-02-27, 12:31 AM
Frederick just smiled a bit and shook his head as the mayor discussed some of the tax collector's social faux pas. Going on the mayor's story, Elias had successfully completed his business and left Ravenmoor shortly after. Perhaps something had befallen the red-headed man on his way to Magnimar...

As the large man was pondering these things, he felt Pinto bumping into him a couple times. He looked down at his quadruped friend, who gave him a familiar look. Something about mayor Kreigler's body language was raising mental alarms in the eidolon and it seemed that Azeron picked up on it too. That surprised Frederick, who thought the mayor to be a polite and straightforward man, judging by their initial impressions; however, his companions' people reading skills were far better than his, which is why he trusted their judgement.

So it seemed that something was off with the seemingly polite and helpful mayor here, but what was it he was hiding? More importantly, why?

Frederick scratched his chin thoughtfully. I see. So our red-headed friend had collected the tax money with no problems and was off the very next day. Mister mayor, is there anything else that may have...slipped your mind? The summoner smiled broadly again. Even the smallest detail could be of great help to us.

Benson
2015-02-27, 12:29 PM
The mayor frowned and lowered his gaze after taking the hint from their words and own body language. "Okay...I may have fibbed there a bit....I admit, my interactions with the man were quite a bit less congenial, ahem." He wanly smiled and glanced up, returning eye contact. "I found him...untrustworthy and my gut instincts were correct, for when I returned home from the festival, I found him raiding my liquor cabinet...and he had the nerve to complain to me about my selection." The mayor rolled his eyes a little. "I was upset, so I gathered the funds as quickly as I could, gave them to him as quickly as possibly and sent him on his way, wanting him out of my fair village."

mote
2015-02-27, 01:32 PM
Melodrin hears Kyomorin grumble in her head. "Innocent hearts cling not to falsehoods" - something to that effect. She couldn't agree more, but resists the urge to lay her hand on his hilt.

"No need to dissemble with us, Mister Mayor. We're not the law. We just want to find our man and be on our way. Tell us all you know."

Springjack
2015-02-28, 01:31 AM
I see. Frederick still wasn't entirely convinced that the mayor had come clean fully. What was divulged was not something one should have a need or desire to hide in the first place. Still, the large man's gut feeling told him to maintain friendly relations and not press the issue too hard. The group might have to do a little independent investigation of their own afterwards and the festival was shaping up to be a good excuse to stick around.

Frederick looked to the others and gave them a nod. Ah yes. His relative did mention his rough personality. Still, there's no harm in telling us that up front. As my elven friend stated, we are not lawmen. The summoner clapped the mayor's shoulder in a friendly manner, broad smile still glued firmly in place. I did spend a few good years as a naval officer though. If we have time, I should like to tell you the story of how we chased down a smuggler's ship for three days straight. In fact, one of the townsfolk has invited us to attend a festival of sorts. Would you have this rag-tag bunch of strangers hang around for one more night?

Benson
2015-03-01, 10:52 AM
Mayor Kriegler worked his jaw as he eyed Melodrin. He then shook his head. "I'm sorry...that is all I have. If your friend did not return to Magmimar..." He squeezed the arm rest and tapped his foot in thought and then softly shrugged. "I’ve heard rumors that he lit out for Riddleport, in which case I fear the taxes are as good as gone. But the fact apparently remains that we still owe a payment. You strike me as much more trustworthy agents, frankly, but I’m afraid we don’t have the full payment available to pay the taxes again." He glanced over at Frederick and nodded. "Yes please enjoy the festival, you are more than welcomed. Join in me in tonight's at the festival as a guest of honor, and I’ll see what I can scrape together from what remains of the town’s funds to pay at least part of what we owe. Perhaps at a later date Magnimar might send you north to Riddleport to find out what became of that scoundrel.”

Smileybastard
2015-03-01, 11:47 AM
Azeron

Azeron pays close attention to the Mayor as he speaks.

Sense Motive [roll0]

Springjack
2015-03-01, 01:05 PM
[roll0] Eidolon sense motive

Benson
2015-03-01, 01:11 PM
Azeron does not sense anything amiss.

As for Pinto, it is a mixed bag, while he seems a little nervous about the first bit, he seems entirely truthful in the latter parts of his talkin.

Athaleon
2015-03-01, 04:41 PM
Garren mulled over the mayor's words for a moment. The man seemed to be genuine, but what he described was an awfully thin lead to go on. "Who'd you hear that from? Doesn't make much sense for him to run off with the coin, unless he had gambling debts or something. I mean, five hundred's a good chunk of change but you can't retire early on it."

Springjack
2015-03-01, 08:45 PM
Another subtle bump from the eidolon.

Frederick was interested to hear the mayor's answer, but before that, he leaned in and spoke to Garren and in a low voice. Group meeting time. Then he turned to the rest of the band, giving them a knowing glance as his gaze fell across each face before speaking to the mayor again.

Well Mister Mayor, it seems we have much to think about, thanks to your new information. We would like to settle in and discuss our next steps before the festival starts. Any place you can recommend to us?

Benson
2015-03-02, 01:34 AM
Garren mulled over the mayor's words for a moment. The man seemed to be genuine, but what he described was an awfully thin lead to go on. "Who'd you hear that from? Doesn't make much sense for him to run off with the coin, unless he had gambling debts or something. I mean, five hundred's a good chunk of change but you can't retire early on it."

"It is just rumors, its one of those things you hear but for whatever reason cannot for the life of you pin point who said it, I am not saying it is hard truth though, more that it is a possibility," He wanly smiled and shook his head. "Anyways...well...it may not make sense to you but it could have to him if that was what really happened."

Another subtle bump from the eidolon.

Frederick was interested to hear the mayor's answer, but before that, he leaned in and spoke to Garren and in a low voice. Group meeting time. Then he turned to the rest of the band, giving them a knowing glance as his gaze fell across each face before speaking to the mayor again.

Well Mister Mayor, it seems we have much to think about, thanks to your new information. We would like to settle in and discuss our next steps before the festival starts. Any place you can recommend to us?

"Well Ravenmoor does not possess an inn as we do not have many folks coming here regularly to justify having one....but, I suppose I could suggest just pitching a tent out on the green, though...do mind the mosquitoes, though it shouldn't be a problem if you by chance have mosquito nets."

mote
2015-03-03, 10:13 AM
"Yeah, we experienced the mosquito problem already," Melodrin says, standing up to leave. Then she turns to the mayor, "By the way, Mayor, shame about your church out there. Did one of your mosquitoes bump into it?"

Springjack
2015-03-03, 04:09 PM
Then we'll need to procure said mosquito nests. And some tents too while we're at it. What kinds of shops are there in Ravenmoor, mayor?

Benson
2015-03-04, 03:16 AM
"Yeah, we experienced the mosquito problem already," Melodrin says, standing up to leave. Then she turns to the mayor, "By the way, Mayor, shame about your church out there. Did one of your mosquitoes bump into it?"

He scrunched his brow in confusion and then chuckled. "Hilarious, no, no, I am afraid mosquitoes are not strong enough to bump a church into setting ablazed, at least I hope not. No, no, alas, the incident of the church and its misfortune is decades old. However, instead of rebuilding the church, as you may have seen on your way here, we instead have taken to the open air, The Stones to be exact. We feel that the open air fields, allow us to have a closer to the sky and in turn The Dream Tender."

Then we'll need to procure said mosquito nests. And some tents too while we're at it. What kinds of shops are there in Ravenmoor, mayor?

"Ah yes, well two really, a clothing shop owned by Miss Alizna, and the Trading Post and Smithy, owned by Mister Saul." He answered cordially.

mote
2015-03-04, 10:42 AM
"I see. The Dusk Elves prefer to worship under the stars as well. Maybe I can catch a service while I'm here." Melodrin waits to leave with the others. She still has misgivings about the strange ugly moth creature.

Athaleon
2015-03-04, 06:07 PM
"No inn, eh? If there's at least a tavern it should do nicely as a house of worship, for me at least" said Garren with a grin. "And with any luck, I might hear some more about our missing man there. Though I think we'd better see to our lodgings first, damned if I'll get any sleep without a mosquito net."

Smileybastard
2015-03-04, 06:48 PM
Azeron

Azeron nods. "It seems mosquito nets are what we need, also I have a bed roll but no tent."

Springjack
2015-03-04, 07:41 PM
Then we have our next destination. Off to the general store we go. Frederick reached out to shake the mayor's hand. Thank you for your help, mayor. We will be seeing you again.

Once the group excused themselves from the mayor's house and they were out of earshot of any potentially nosy brothers, Frederick turned to his companions and dropped his voice an octave. There is deceit afoot, mates. Something about the mayor's story doesn't add up.

Pinto nodded vigorously at Frederick's assertion. Yes yes. The mayor man was uncomfortable talking about the red hair man leaving.

The large man frowned. You lot noticed it too right? The mayor is hiding something and I don't like it. This festival is a good excuse for us to stick around and do some independent investigation of our own.

Smileybastard
2015-03-04, 07:47 PM
Azeron

"And his deceit is about a man who is missing. He also suggested he has fled with the money, suggesting that he does not expect us to find him. I suggest we have become a very real threat to the Mayor and as such we must be wary. I advise against being alone."

Benson
2015-03-05, 03:25 AM
That Perception Check

Unfortunately for Melodrin, nothing else really stood out in the room, aside from the already mentioned painting, as far as she knew, it was at least one thing squeaky clean here.

--

For when ya'll make fer the Tradin Post

And so, this posse goes about to visit the trading post, the town’s streets are made of packed dirt, but more often consist of mud because of the frequent drizzle and fog that keep the place humid. Folks around here watched them and would be easily seen whispering to each other while looking and sometimes even physically gesturing at their direction. They would catch the sight of other children in what looked to be them daring each other to get as close as they can to these outsiders, only to be shooed off by an adult.

Local dress from what was seen was neat and functional, with men wearing plain dun-colored tunics, buttoned vests, wide-brimmed straw hats, and unbleached canvas breeches held up by suspenders. Women dress modestly in simple, single colored dresses in drab earth tones, with long sleeves, full skirts, and white aprons with little lace or adornment. They seemed just a bit cleaner than their ferryman friend.

Eventually, they would come across a one floor affair with a large barn off to the south of it. Like the other structures in town, moss grows on most buildings, covering the soggy wooden shingles, and the constant buzz of insects fills the air, most of the homes and farms look ramshackle, even abandoned. But anyways! On the porch of the trading post, the group would come across a young beautiful girl, sitting out front as she worked on repairing a fine but threadbare dress. Upon their arrival she glanced up at them with a surprised expression.

"Greetins'...ya'll must be the strangers the town has been'a buzzed about...and I ain't speakin of 'skeeters." She giggled to herself, her eyes resting on Garren for a second longer. She had a heart shaped face and blue eyes, like half the population, along with big, bouncy wavy blonde hair, and nice teeth for a hick. The way she spoke and carried herself, it wasn't hard to tell that she was one of those spacey...erm...unlearned sort of gals. Hyuk hyuk.

Smileybastard
2015-03-05, 07:35 PM
Azeron

"Hello my dear, you are very beautiful." He bows takes her hand and kisses it. "Do you suppose you could help us? We are in need of a place to sleep tonight or a tent and some mosquito nets."

Diplomacy [roll0] +1 of already friendly
Sense Motive [roll1] to sense if she is actually happy to see them.

Athaleon
2015-03-05, 08:53 PM
"I see our reputation precedes us," Garren remarked, amused at the way Azeron greeted her. "We must be the only visitors around here in a while."

Benson
2015-03-06, 11:25 AM
The girl blushed at the compliment and then went deep crimson at his gentlemanly hand kiss. "Oh...oh my...ain't ya a gentleboy." She smiled as Azeron then went to asking his questions. "Ahem, well...I don't think much ya kin find an or somethin here in town, but, ma daddy kin help ya if'n yer lookin fer tents. He owns the shop!" As far as Azeron could tell, she was comfortable, happy would be too strong of a word.

She then nodded at Garren. "MmmMm, not since last month I reckon."

Springjack
2015-03-06, 06:17 PM
Frederick's large grin showed that he too was amused by Azeron's antics. The paladin was a romantic at heart, wooing many a woman with his old-fashioned gentleman charms. Ah, the springtime of youth. he remarked to Garren with a hearty chuckle, even though the large man himself was just barely over his third decade of life. Frederick fondly remembered his days in the navy, flirting with tavern waitresses during shore leave.

Hi there! You smell nice. Pinto's rather direct introduction to the girl snapped Frederick out of his daydream. I like that crunchy yellow stuff that grows out in the fields. You should try some! Of course the eidolon was not quite as suave and graceful as Azeron, but the enthusiasm was all there.

Pinto, don't be bothering the lass. I'm sure she's well aware what corn is. Frederick chided his eidolon, trying hard to keep a stern face but having a difficult time of it. Sorry about that, lassie. He may look strange, but this lug is a very friendly fellow. The summoner gave the young woman a small bow as he scratched Pinto's head. By the way, that last visitor you mentioned seeing, was it by any chance a rough-looking red-headed fellow?

Benson
2015-03-08, 07:37 PM
The blonde lass awkwardly glanced at Pinto before hesitantly reaching her hand forward to pet the weird *dog*. She then giggled to herself scratching behind his ears. She then glanced up at Frederick with a furrowed brow.

"Uhm, I reckon I didn't, I only heard talk about there bein' an outsider but ain't seen 'em. Ma and daddy had me helpin' with preparin' the food fer the Founder Day's feast last month, it were our turn last month ta organ'az the food." She said with a beaming smile. She then offered her hand to Azeron to help her stand up.

Smileybastard
2015-03-08, 07:45 PM
Azeron

Azeron bows his head slightly with a smile on his lips and takes her hand gently and helps her to her feet.

Springjack
2015-03-09, 09:35 PM
So you hold the festival every month, do you? It sounds very interesting. Frederick held the door as everyone made their way into the shop.

Benson
2015-03-10, 03:23 AM
"Oh yes!" She exclaimed cheerily in response to Frederick as she gave Azeron's hand a gentle squeeze after he helped her up. "A small village like this...our festivals, gives ah somethin ta look forward to." She giggled. "Matta' of fact, tonight, I got me the honor of bein' a candy-date <candidate> for the Founder's Feast Quee--"

Suddenly as ya'll were in the process of entering the shop, your view becomes filled with the image of a grumpy faced man standing in front of you. He was a large thick man with strong looking arms and dirty blonde hair and sported an apron over his clothing. "Shel!...What are ya doin'?" He asked the girl in an accusing tone as his eyes darted from the girl now known to be named Shel and then at Azeron, their closeness..

"Just talkin' ta our town visitors," She said with a small huff.

"I think it would be best if'n ya went to yer room, now." He crossed his arms over his chest and gave her that parental 'ya better do as I say' look.

"B-but...daddy.." She whined a bit.

"No buts."

"Augh...fine...but I gotta get mah dress I was a fixin'..." She grumbled. Her father just gestured with his head that she best get on with it. She sighed and went out front, collected the dress and sewing kit and grumbled passing by the others. She glanced over her shoulder and wanly smiled at Azeron with a little sashay in her walk. And then the girl disappeared off, the door mentioned before shutting behind her.

Her father then grumpily turned to look at the group, meaty arms over his chest. "Whadda want, strangers?"

mote
2015-03-10, 08:43 AM
Melodrin glares at the bumpkin girl and rolls her eyes. "Camping supplies, sir. We'll be staying for the festival."

Springjack
2015-03-11, 01:48 PM
Frederick walked up to the counter until he and the shopkeep were face to face, then slowly and deliberately rolled up his sleeves, revealing muscular and weather-beaten forearms of his own. Both men, crossed arms mirroring each others stances, eyed each other in critical silence for a moment before Frederick reached a hand out over the counter and gave the other guy an almost imperceptible nod.

The shopkeeper grasped Frederick's hand with a thundering clap, locking both men in what appeared to be a handshake. But in reality, this was more than a greeting; it was a contest of strength and character. Muscles swelled and veins popped as Frederick and Shel's father engaged in a vice grip, daring one another to relinquish. Strained power visibly radiated up the arm and into the entire body, every fiber of their being pouring strength back down into their hand.

You could stick a pencil in that handshake and pop out a diamond.

After what seemed like an eternity of intense silence, Frederick was the first to relent. He wiggled his fingers a bit to get the blood flowing again, then burst out laughing, shiny teeth ablaze in the store's pale light. HA! Been a while since someone bested me. That is some grip strength you have there, friend. You are a man who understands the value of a hard day's labor, and I respect that. He was not at all sorry or disappointed at losing the contest.

Frederick Faithful.

Benson
2015-03-12, 03:18 AM
Amusingly there was a slight tear in the shopkeeper's shirt underneath his heavy apron. He kept a steady expression and flexed his fingers.

"Saul Lupescu," He responded throatily. Frederick would get this feeling that while Saul wasn't about to be all buddy buddy with him, Saul at least didn't seem to hate him. Tolerated, there we go. He eyed Frederick a bit more, then glanced at the others in indifference, though on Azeron his eyes narrowed for a second before settling back on Frederick. He nodded closing his eyes. "Yes."

"So staying for the festival are we? Hmm, I see. Well if you seek camping supplies, I have some, what are you looking for in particular?" He asked addressing them all though his gaze was set upon Frederick.

Smileybastard
2015-03-12, 05:17 AM
Azeron

Azeron bows his head towards the man. "Thank you my good man. Mosquito nets and a maybe a tent would be mostly what we seek."

Diplomacy [roll0]

Springjack
2015-03-12, 04:02 PM
Frederick folded his arms again, though this time in a relaxed pose, and grunted in satisfaction, glad to see that his hunch was not wrong. See, there were people in this world who spoke the language of muscle. It was less about friendship and more about a mutual understanding of sorts. Even orcs, the merciless, unrepentant monsters that they were, held a grudging respect for those who showed strength. Frederick was a summoner, a fairly uncommon profession, and rarer still, one who was able and willing to charge into the thick of combat alongside his companions and otherworldly servants. Yes, just the usual camping supplies. And a barrel of insect repellent.

Having caught the look Saul gave to the paladin, Frederick leaned forward a bit and nodded at the shopkeep. Azeron is a good man. He will not disrespect your daughter. he said in a straightforward fashion.

Athaleon
2015-03-12, 05:20 PM
Garren was content to stand back and watch the contest of strength, even if he didn't quite understand what was going on. A firm handshake was one thing, but this struck him as, well, rude. After it was over, he finally chimed in, "I'll need a tent as well." Garren chimed in. "Anything else you could recommend for us that we might have missed?"

Benson
2015-03-13, 12:18 PM
Saul still just eyed Azeron wearily but nodded at Frederick though his eyes were on the paladin. "Well I got medium tents, sixteen apiece fer each of em and skeeter nets, 10 silvers fer the each of em, as fer insect repellent, I suggest a smokey fire." He then scratched his chin and shrugged at Garren's question. "Bedrolls? two silver apiece."

mote
2015-03-13, 03:59 PM
As Frederick indulges in yet another absurd show of masculine bravado, Melodrin rolls her eyes (again) and peruses the store for anything interesting or suspicious.

Perception: [roll0]

How big are the tents/nets, btw? Do we each need our own?

Smileybastard
2015-03-14, 12:41 AM
Azeron

Azeron looks a little confused at Frederick's comments. It seems he again has misjudged something of human ages and behavior. "I apologize if my behavior has offended you, I wish to assure you that I have no dishonorable intentions towards you or your daughter." And with that he bows deeply.

Athaleon
2015-03-14, 12:12 PM
"That one has no dishonorable intentions towards anyone or anything, believe me." Garren chuckled as he counted out enough coin for a tent, mosquito net, and bedroll. "This should cover my items, sir."

Springjack
2015-03-15, 12:10 AM
Relax mate! No need to be so formal. Frederick clapped Azeron on the shoulder as the paladin started to bow. Saul was no doubt just playing the part of the hard-ass father fending off attention directed at his precious daughter. No harm from any involved party.

I would have liked to sleep under the open sky, gazing at the stars. The brawny summoner grew slightly misty-eyed as he handed over coin for camping supplies of his own, no doubt fondly remembering some misadventure of his youth. He then immediately perked up again and grinned. But, I also prefer not to be eaten alive just yet.

Three tents and mosquito nets should be sufficient for the group's needs. Frederick and Azeron in one, Garren (meticulous as he was about grooming) on his own, plus a separate one for the women, as par usual. Here, Azeron. My half for the tent. Frederick added in gold for a tent and mosquito netting.

Smileybastard
2015-03-15, 08:50 AM
Azeron

Azeron smiles. "I enjoy formality."

He contributes his half for the tent and enough for a net as well.

Benson
2015-03-16, 12:41 AM
Saul was more than glad to take their money as it collected it all into a small pouch he pulled from behind the counter.

"Let us keep it that way, the no dishonorable intentions.." He said as he walked about the small shop front and collected the purchased items from various shelves behind the counter and against the walls. He then returned to them with a big bundle of their purchased items and plopped them in front of them. Alas for Melodrin she would not spy much of interest, the only things that stood out even a little from this mundane shop were three random Harrow cards just lying on a shelf collecting dust.

Springjack
2015-03-17, 09:10 PM
Unless someone has any other questions, I believe our business is concluded here then. Frederick gathered up his newly purchased belongings and gave the shopkeeper a short nod. Saul.

Let's find a good spot to set up camp before the festival starts. he said to his companions. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a breezy place to help ward off the bugs.

Smileybastard
2015-03-17, 09:35 PM
Azeron

Azeron follows Frederick. "Thank you Saul."

Benson
2015-03-20, 02:01 AM
The posse would find themselves a nice grassy spot just a little north ways of town, across a small brook and near the base of a couple rolling hills. Anyways, bothering people with questions!

And so our heroes found themselves taking to the town, questioning folks, subtly I am sure, with their questions. They would find it initially difficult as most of the folks either were evasive of them or would only reply with shrugs and words of 'I dunno'. Some folks just suggested talking to the Mayor unaware that our dear heroes already spoke to him. Other folks eyed them wearily and even one townie told them to bugger off. There were some shifty folks but if and when pressed would simply state to go away or else.

Eventually in their wandering about, searching for their answers they would come across a group of children playing what looked to be playing some sort of game of catch with an ear of corn. At some point the ear of corn found itself flying towards the group, in particular at Frederick's noggin.

<Some moments later after casually slipping in the question about Elias Kyle>

"I dunno really...I mean..I 'member I saw 'em...ugly one he were with a mean look to 'em," Answered one young lad with a red bowl hair cut and freckled face shrugged as he held the ear of corn in his arms.

"Oooh oooh...what if'n the Night Creepers took him?" A lanky blond lad with big ears chimed in with a big grin.

"Heeey...don't even mention 'em...I saw one last night! It were scary!" Said a short brown haired chubby lass with buck teeth puffed her cheeks upset at the lanky blond lad.

"They ain't real, my big brother told me Night Creepers is just what grown ups make up ta make us behave, heh!" The red headed kid laughed and raised his brows at the young girl.

"You keep that up and they'll take you away ta'night afta the festy-val, harumph!" The girl turned her nose and crossed her arms over her chest.

Springjack
2015-03-20, 09:58 PM
Children: they might have overactive imaginations, but kid's presence was often ignored by the adults and the little squirts saw and heard more things than one usually gave them credit for. They were usually very straightforward with information, if one understood how to coax it out of 'em.

While Pinto tried to wrestle the corn cob from the red-headed midget, Frederick got down on one knee and conversed with the kids. He raised an eyebrow at the buck-toothed girl, showing great interest in her story. Maybe the "Night Creepers" weren't some supernatural boogey men that the kids made them seem, but they definitely saw something.

Don't you worry your little head, lassie. The mayor invited us adventurers to the festival and we'll make sure to keep the nasties away. The large man's voice dropped to a low, conspiratorial tone. Can you tell us what these Night Creepers looked like? That way we'll know whose butt to kick if they start making trouble. he finished off with a broad smile. Are you sure they weren't just some wild animals?

Benson
2015-03-23, 10:13 AM
"Scary! and ugly!" The young girl answered while in the background the red-headed lad waaah'd as Pinto more than easily wrestled the ear of corn away from him. The boy was just dang startled by the three eyed thing going on.

The young girl put her arm in front of her nose and kept it erect and then proceeded to make some buzzing sounds. "Like 'skeeter faces heheh.....and carry dem sickles...cuz...reapin bad kids sort of stuff." The young girl pinched her nose and rubbed to work out a pesky booger. "I'mma sure it weren't aminals mister." She sharply nodded looking quite assured of herself.

Smileybastard
2015-03-23, 10:27 AM
Azeron

Azeron listens to the discussion thoughtfully, trying to determine how much of their story and description are childish embellishment.

Sense motive [roll0]

mote
2015-03-23, 06:06 PM
Melodrin looks down at the chubby girl. "Where'd you see it, kid?"

Does the description ring any magical beast bells, maybe?
Knowledge(Arcana): [roll0]

Springjack
2015-03-23, 09:11 PM
Hey. Frederick conked Pinto on the head a bit and gave him a stern look. The eidolon got the message, dropping the ear of corn back into the red-haired child's hands with a slightly guilty look. Thankfully an alien-dog's mouth produced less saliva than your average earth mutt. I am very sorry. he said with sincerity, probably startling the child even more.

That's better. Frederick responded with a slightly less chiding tone and Pinto perked up again. The alien dog never stayed depressed or sad for too long.

Back to business at hand. Frederick rubbed his chin thoughtfully after the little girl described what she had seen. Face like a mosquito and carrying a sickle. Sounds like some lout in a mask. he remarked to his comrades. Frederick's gut told him there was more to this town than what appeared on the surface, but exactly what, he couldn't say. Little inconsistencies, like the mayor's behavior, just didn't seem to add up.

Athaleon
2015-03-23, 09:41 PM
"Do you know anyone else who was taken by the Night Creepers?" Garren asked with a skeptical smile.

Benson
2015-03-24, 12:09 PM
Garren recognizes Night Creepers as entities of local bogeyman stories. Described to have faces of stirges, it is claimed that they stalk the town’s fields and streets during the night and snatch away kids willful enough to disobey their parents and stay out after dark.

From what Azeron is able to tell, they believe their own words and likely don't think of themselves as lying.

"Long time ago...it was dark and scary, but mah kitty Miss Purdy was outside meowin ta be let back in the house, so I wented ta open the door and let her in when...well it was dark...but I saws it off aways...only a second cuz I shut the door quick-like," The little girl widened her eyes as she told her story and spoke in a whisper.

In the meanwhile, the red headed kid's eyes went wide as well when Pinto spoke, causing him to drop the ear of corn altogether.

When Garren asked his question, the lanky blonde kid spoke up. "Well...mah cousin's sister's friend's mom's grandma said her bestest friend was taken cuz....one day she was no longer around no mores."

Athaleon
2015-03-25, 01:22 AM
Garren wasn't sure what sort of answer he expected. He'd have dismissed the whole thing if the mayor and the whole town didn't strike him as off somehow. "Well ladies and gentlemen, there we have it. Unless we want to question some more people our best bet might be to attend the festival and see if we can scrounge up any better leads".

Springjack
2015-03-25, 01:31 PM
The group could further discuss the merits of the story once in private. Thank you children, you have been most helpful. Frederick smiled kindly at the children and gave a small bow to the buck-toothed girl in particular. If you see any of these Night Creepers during the festival, come find us. We'll protect you, okay?

Smileybastard
2015-03-25, 02:58 PM
Azeron

"We will protect you from any danger at all."

~~~

After they have walked away from the children. "Should we stick together or separate and seek information?"

He begins to look into the hearts of those he sees for the darkness, as he walks around.

Detect evil on all he sees and will see that day.

Springjack
2015-03-26, 10:21 PM
Once they were away from prying ears, Frederick lowered his voice. What do you think mates? These "night creepers" the squirts mentioned sound like urban legend, but many myths are based on some reality. I'd have paid little attention to the story were it not for the mayor's peculiar actions. Apparently Frederick had the same train of though as Garren did earlier. In fact, some of the folks we encountered seemed a bit suspicious and I'd wager that it was more than common xenophobia.

Thoughts?

Smileybastard
2015-03-26, 11:09 PM
Azeron

Azeron shrugs. "I am not sure of anything yet. Stories of Bogeymen are pretty common and we have nothing solid at the moment. I am keeping an open mind, but I do think the mayor was hiding something."

Springjack
2015-03-30, 03:14 PM
"Yes indeed. We should keep our guard up and eyes peeled for now. Frederick nodded sagely, then looked down at his eidolon. "I was thinking of unleashing Pinto for a bit while everyone's attention will be focused on the festival. He can snoop around the mayor's house for anything suspicious while we socialize with the good folk of Ravengro. Worst case scenario, it would be easier to explain away a wandering alien animal pet than to be caught trespassing in someone's house.

Smileybastard
2015-03-30, 03:20 PM
Azeron

"Well I suppose he would fit right in, in a place where a boy keeps a giant mosquito as a pet."

Athaleon
2015-03-30, 03:55 PM
"Everyone has heard him talk, so appearances aside they know he's not just another animal. Still, it could be explained away more easily than if one of us got caught." Garren sighed. "I don't have any other ideas than to keep asking questions and hope something slips."

Springjack
2015-03-30, 09:34 PM
"Let's take things as they come. If we find no answers by tomorrow, we'll plan our next move in the morning. If you wish to join our little rogue I won't stop you. Just remember that should things get violent, Pinto will merely be sent back to his home plane for a day. You lot, on the other hand, are a more permanent fixture on this earth."

"I would like it if you all relaxed a little." boomed Frederick with a smile. "Investigation or not, there are still festivities to be had. Take some time to enjoy yourselves."

Smileybastard
2015-03-30, 09:43 PM
Azeron

"I am relaxed." Azeron smiles. "As I said I am not sure of anything, yet."

Azeron begins to walk and talk to people he sees. Striking up a conversation and seeing what he can learn. He is being very social and friendly. Only leaning a little towards finding out to the missing person or the mysterious night creepers.

Diplomacy [roll0] +1 more if they start friendly. To seek information.
Perception [roll1] to overhear people talking about anything related.

Springjack
2015-03-31, 11:01 PM
Frederick dove back into the rumor mill along with Azeron, buddying up to a few of the friendlier-looking folk. He casually mentioned the night creepers, hoping to coax out some more information about the folktale. After carousing a bit around town, the large man sought a place for him and his companions to set up camp for the evening, all the while instructing Pinto on his covert ops mission tonight.

[roll0] Gather Information on night creepers and local myths

Benson
2015-04-01, 12:16 PM
Both Azeron and Frederick would have difficulty finding folks actually wanting to talk about the ol stories, folks either didn't want to talk to them, or were busy and didn't want to talk to them. That and most folks didn't have local legends on the mind, so finding folks discussing such subjects was well, unlikely. The festival naturally, occupied most conversations.

However, both would find themselves an individual of their own who would not mind divulging about the local myths. Basically, Night Creepers were boogeymen who would snatch away kids willful enough to disobey their parents and stay out after dark. There was also mention of a ravenous “water wolf ” who carries off kids who swim out too far into the river. There was also mention of an old legend of “Old Man Wrinkles” who is said to be 200 years old, and so wrinkled he no longer has a face, and who drinks blood like a stirge, stories claim that he lives deep somewhere in the nearby Churlwoods. Lastly of the stories and legends was that of the Dream Tender Moth, said to fly over the buildings late at night after every Founders’ Feast, looking for bad kids who misbehaved during the festival to carry off and turn into the aforementioned Night Creepers. A lot of these stories were told to young children to discourage bad behavior.
===========

After setting up camp...

3:35 PM

The festival of course would be located on the festival grounds just a little ways north of the village in a nice grassy clearing. Upon entering the fenced off area, they would see many tables, picnic quilts, a couple pavilions set up, along with a makeshift stage. Unlit piles of wood for bonfires stand around the field’s perimeter, and an open space in the center is cleared and ringed with benches for the festival’s games and competitions.

Over one hundred people were in attendance for the festival, all talking with each other, playing games, and off at one of the pavilions, they would see a small band of local accordion and fiddle players playing some lively music as folks, adults and children alike danced or thumped a foot along. Among the people they would see were of course Viorec Korzha, presumably his wife, Ornigaard and presumably four other children that were Viorec's. The children themselves were playing a game of tag with other children nearby in which they would see the three children spoken to earlier among the group.

Over near the central competition area, a group of men cheering loudly with tankards of wine in their hands as they appeared to be making bets on the raven fights in process. Saul himself would be seen a little ways off setting up a gaming area which had several haybales with targets painted over them. He would seen procuring a large wooden box as folks gathered around him.

As for food and drinks, well plenty of wine was available, Ravenmoor make of course, and light snack-ish foods were available such as delicious roasted corn. Main course food would be available later during the feast portion.

Smileybastard
2015-04-02, 05:12 AM
Azeron

Azeron walks around the building festival observing everything going on, but focuses on listening to the comments of the villagers as he does so.

Perception [roll0] to listen in.

Springjack
2015-04-02, 04:00 PM
Frederick commandeered an empty table, driving his longspear into the dirt next to it like a conqueror's flag. No sense in carrying around an eight foot long weapon at a festival. It was a beautiful day and the summoner was looking forward to enjoying every minute of it. With a full cup of wine in hand, Frederick wandered into the crowd and started mingling with the locals. He certainly wasn't shy around strangers and with his gregarious demeanor and air of authority (borne from his military years), people tended to lower their guards around him naturally.

First stop was with Viorec. "Good to see you again, Mister Korzha." Frederick greeted the farmer with a handshake and gave his wife a sparkling smile. Out of all the townsfolk met, Viorec seemed the most...normal. "How's old Applesauce holding up?" The summoner did promise to check up on the little critter after all.

Speaking of critters, Pinto was absent from the festivities. He'd be joining the fun later, to be sure, but for now he had a stealthy mission of his own...

Athaleon
2015-04-02, 08:21 PM
Garren left his bow and sword by Frederick's spear and joined in the festivities. He made small talk and heartily sampled the local delicacies (as well as the local wine and spirits), though he was careful to drink far less than he appeared to. He kept an eye and ear out, and did ask occasional questions about Elias — After all, the subject of what the party was doing in such an isolated village came up time and again.

Perception: [roll0] for anything he might overhear or notice is amiss
Diplomacy: [roll1] to gather information

Benson
2015-04-03, 02:25 AM
Alas, Azeron would find the chatter to be mostly about the festival itself, townsfolk asking each other if they want to go bet on the raven fights, others discussing their expectations on the feast tonight. Most folks did acknowledge Azeron, being one of the outsiders, and standing out more so with his Sarenrae paladinyness. He would come across the sight of folks dancing to a fiddler's tune while a couple of other folks clapped their hands and laugh.

He would suddenly feel a presence right behind him. Azeron would feel soft hands grab his own from behind. "I found ya!" Came the cheery voice of the shop keeper's daughter who was apparently named Shel, she smiled at the paladin. "Dance with me will ya?"
--

Viorec gave Frederick an acknowledging nod and firmly shook his hand. His wife returned the smile and gave a nod. She herself was occupied with tending a young babe all nice and snug in a tough corn husk woven sling with padding inside against her chest.

"Applesauce?" Admittingly it was an odd conversation topic, at least one that Vioric was not expecting to be engaged with. "He is doin fine, restin in his cage, hopefully. Mmmm." He nodded. "So, you enjoyin yerself?...Oh right, 'fore I ferget, this here is mah wife Sahsha." He introduced his young looking wife, she had brown hair and blue eyes.
--

Alas, most of the chatter, as far as Garren knew, would come to about the same as what Azeron would experience.

"Now now hun', tis a time of festivities and fun, askin me bout some feller who apparently ain't gone home is a downer," A local wagged a finger at Garren and good naturedly smiled, then followed it up with a belly laugh. While Garren had poked around, he would find himself with similar responses, some more annoyed than others, but never a harsh word being spoken to him. Actually he would find a lot of folks' demeanors different here, they seemed more....welcoming in lieu of the festive air.

"Now, instead, ya should have some fun, it is a festival afterall!...and if'n ya write the fest in festival with an upside down j, it almost likens ta lookin like jest!" The townsfolk did smell of booze. "Now...ya seem a tough lookin build, I reckon ya would be a shoe-in fer the three legged race." They wildly grinned.
=============

The air and atmosphere around the mayor's home was very...quiet and almost sterile with just the caws of a raven nearby to break the silence. Pinto on his way there, and possibly hiding in some nearby bushes, would see Mayor Kriegler (dressed all nice and fancy) briskly walking by himself, presumably muttering how uncouth it would be for him of all people to be late. Anyways.

But yes, the house itself stood quiet on the small hill..

Smileybastard
2015-04-03, 05:05 AM
Azeron

Azeron turns towards Shel and while holding her hand bows. "I would be honored my dear."

Athaleon
2015-04-03, 02:45 PM
Garren, with a shrug and an aw-shucks grin, decided he ought to humor the locals and participate in the race. "Who's to be my partner?"

Springjack
2015-04-03, 05:39 PM
"A pleasure to meet you Sahsha. You have a beautiful family here." said Frederick to the couple, nodding at the children running about. "Almost makes me wonder if it's time for me to settle down myself. The hearty man grew wistful for a second, before breaking into a smile again. "Oh but these bones still ache for adventure."

"So we met with Mayor Kriegler, as you had suggested. He seems like a man of a pleasant enough disposition." The summoner eyed Viorec inquiringly. "How is he as a mayor?"

===

Pinto

Before the festival started, Frederick had unfettered Pinto, allowing the little guy to roam without restriction for the spell's duration. The boon was double-edged though, for the life link between summoner and eidolon was temporarily severed as well. The missing bond gave Pinto a sense of isolation, but he was determined to carry out his mission. Master and his friends were depending on him! Besides, he was never truly alone; the mental link between the two was still in effect so Pinto could relay his findings and receive further orders in turn.

The eidolon eyed Mayor Kriegler like a hawk until the man disappeared from sight. He then popped out of the bushes and made a beeline towards the house, keeping low to the ground and to the shadows when he could and pressed against house's foundation to create a small profile. Forgetting the fact that he was a weird-looking green alien dog, Pinto could blend into his surroundings with an almost supernatural ease.

First order of business was entering the house. Pinto crept up to the front and pressed an ear to the door, listening for voices and footsteps inside while his cyclopean eye darted around the outside perimeter, on guard for surprise guests.

Cast Unfetter on Pinto. Lasts for 30 minutes

1d20+20
1d20+14
(Guess I did that wrong. Rolls in OOC)

If everything's all clear, Pinto will try the door to see if it's opened (super stealthily of course). Barring that, he'll nose around the perimeter for an open window.

Benson
2015-04-06, 12:44 PM
@Azeron

Shel girlishly giggled and spun herself into softly against his chest. "Daddy is still a bit upset, but ya know how overpro-tactive paws kin be hehe...But ya seem a nice feller...like a shinin knight in yer get up there." She giggled and then spun herself out and proceeded to drag him over to the main dancing area with other folks grooving.

@Garren

The local paused for a moment and scratched his chin whiskers. "Oof...well...uhm...that is a good question boy. Maybe one of yer friends....but if not, I reckon we got some partnerless folks over yonder on the racin green."

@Frederick

"I reckon he's alright and fair," Viorec replied with a bit of a shrug as he gestured to his wife that she oughta sit down at a table rather than be standing and carrying the wee babe. "Our village hasn't really had much trouble, taxes are fair and ain't no one seem ta be at odds with him far as I know." He crossed his arms over his chest.

@Pinto

Pinto would find himself hearing slow thudding footsteps within the house and some garbled grumbling. From a window he would spy the large man Leonard plodding along carrying some tools and making his way out to the front door. Continuing to watch him would have him bounding around the corner and walking a little north ways to the pig pen just a little ways at the base of the small rocky hill where the house sat upon.

Smileybastard
2015-04-06, 05:19 PM
Azeron

Azeron smiles. "If your father is still upset ..." He is dragged away to the dance floor before he can finish.

Springjack
2015-04-07, 12:14 AM
Pinto

Once the coast was clear, Pinto nosed at the window to see if it was open. Failing that, he would creep on over to the front door and try the doorknob, all ninja-like.

[roll0] Stealth

Benson
2015-04-07, 04:05 AM
@Azeron

Shel continued to giggle as they grooved a bit, swinging into his arms. "So what is the knight en shinin armor's name?" She giggled. "I don't think we were a' propa'ly ackquainted. Name'sa Shel, but I reckon ya know already what wit ma daddy yelling it out all grumpy-like, heheh."

@00Pinto

Secret ageeeeent dog, sniffin round yo house, much wowz.

As Pinto successfully manages to make his way through the front door without making a single peep even with opening it (the windows he would find them locked, but nonetheless) he would see a large fireplace dominating this cozy and inviting room, which warmed simple but well-made couches and chairs. A small tabletop shrine contains a large candle, strips of dried flayleaf (totally not fantasy weed), and several heavily charred Desna effigies woven from the flayleaf strips.

Blackened Areas are closed off rooms.
Dim areas are areas that he can see, but not well at where he is standing atm.
White strips are doors.
Sky Blue are windows.
http://i.imgur.com/xGTJWP8.png

Smileybastard
2015-04-07, 05:08 AM
Azeron

"My name is Azeron, Shel."

Athaleon
2015-04-07, 11:44 AM
Garren cast a skeptical eye at the partnerless villagers. There had to be a reason they didn't have a partner, right? Not that he cared too much about winning, but he grinned again as he thought of how Melodrin would react to participating, and he went to go find her.

Springjack
2015-04-08, 01:51 AM
"Good, good." It seemed that Mayor Kreigler had a decent reputation around here, at least on the surface. It would be nice if he was overthinking the mayor's suspicious behavior, that turned out to be nothing and that Elias was just having a drunken old time in some other town somewhere. "I'll make sure we clear up our little issue with the missing tax collector swiftly."

Frederick suddenly laughed and shook his head. "Well aren't I just piss-poor company. Look at me, talking business on a beautiful day like this. The summoner changed subjects and instead made more pleasant conversation with the Korzha family. It was small talk mostly, with a couple of exploits from Frederick's past thrown in. Some of the kids overheard the big, bald man talking about pirates and a minute later, Frederick found himself regaling the squirts with tales of his misadventures on the high seas as they sat wide-eyed in a semi-circle...

Pinto

Meanwhile, our intrepid intruder Pinto started his investigation of the house in earnest. The eidolon went into this mission with a general idea of what to be looking for, based on Frederick's coaching, but the definition of "suspicious" was pretty broad, so he'd have to form some conclusions of his own (not to worry, for he was smarter than your average alien pooch). For now, Pinto was on the hunt to see if there were any secret doors, stashes and other exciting goodies to uncover.

Pinto spent the first few minutes sniffing around the effigies and strange dried plants in them. They smelled like campfire and made his head slightly buzzy. Weird stuff, time to move on. He conducted a swift but efficient search of the first flood, silent and graceful like a ghostly feline, ears perked straight up and his giant eye darting across furniture, walls, and ceilings. "The little bastard can hear a flea fart from a mile away." Master Frederick would fondly say, which never failed to make the eidolon swell up with pride. He made sure to disturb the scene as little as possible, just as Master had cautioned.

Once the open areas were examined, Pinto moved onto the closed doors, quietly jiggling the knobs to see if they were unlocked.

Doing a general sweep of the first floor, including the closed rooms if unlocked.

Benson
2015-04-09, 01:42 PM
@Azeron

"Heheh, so where ya from Mistah Azeron?" Shel asked as they danced.
--

@Garren

Alas, the small gal he sought was proving difficult to find, however he would easily spy Frederick, his big size and unique garb compared to the townsfolk helped him stand out. There was an option, or he could make a new buddy with a townie.
--

@Pinto

One of the first rooms he would spy easily was one he had been in before, the parlor room, however, it was the same as before, nothing changed even if it looked like the eyes of the painting were following him, but that was just how the painting was.

Probably to his most delight was the pantry his nose drew him towards, the door was not locked and opened with ease. Shelves and cubbyholes line this well-stocked pantry. Cured stirges, baskets of dehydrated black mushrooms, and smoked giant tick shanks hang from above. Along on a high shelf were two vials and bottles that looked a little off with in their brown-green oilyness. His strong nose would smell something stanky.

Smileybastard
2015-04-09, 02:41 PM
"Heheh, so where ya from Mistah Azeron?"[/B] Shel asked as they danced.

Azeron

Azeron frowns slightly in recalling his past as they dance. "I am originally from Kyonin, but have lived in many places and wandered many more."

Athaleon
2015-04-10, 12:31 AM
Garren shrugged and chose the nearest local who needed a partner. He put his aw-shucks grin back on and decided to make a good show of enjoying the festivities. The more eyes on his antics, the safer Pinto and Melodrin could poke around.

Springjack
2015-04-12, 09:43 PM
Pinto had searched the food storage with glee, reasoning that Master Frederick would want a thorough investigation of the house. Why, some of the most evil of evils and secret-est of secrets could be found in pantries, it was true! A few minutes (and three now-eaten "onions of doom") later, Pinto came upon the vials of foul-smelling elixir and wrinkled his nose in disgust. Suspicious objects detected! Master must be made aware!

The eidolon focused his mental energy and reached out telepathically to Frederick. "Master Frederick! I have found some bottles of strange stuff in it. Oh yes! Maybe a clue?"

At the fair, Frederick's storytime was wrapping up and the children were running off to continue their games, when he heard the call of his eidolon. The summoner excused himself from the Korzha family and went over to sit down at the group's table, leaning back and placing arms around his head in a relaxed manner.

"Alright Pinto, let's take a look..." Frederick closed his eyes and forged a sensory bond with his eidolon. What Pinto saw, heard and smelled, so would Frederick, if only for a fleeting moment. Of course, said "strange bottles" could be nothing more than a mixture of stale mustard and an overactive imagination but Frederick wanted to make sure. A quick peek, but he wanted to save a bit of his ability in case Pinto found something concrete like documents. Or a body, Gods forbid.

Using the Bond Senses ability to view the pantry and mysterious bottles through the eidolon's eyes for one round before ending it. Ability can be used up to 3 rounds a day currently.

Is there any writing on the bottle, or can Frederick make a roll to guess the substance based on color and smell? Is it low enough for Pinto to climb up and swipe?

Benson
2015-04-14, 01:22 PM
@Azeron

"Key-o-nin?.." She scrunched her brows up at the handsome elf-aasimar. "Where is that mah good ser? I ain't never heard of it." Then again she probably never heard of much anyway outside of Ravenmoor and probably some of Magnimar. "Is it far away?" She had a bit of a dreamy eyed tone in her voice.
--

@Garren

Over yonder at the lush green field of grass, Garren would come across the sight of several pairs of folks getting themselves prepared for the race, typing the rope around their legs, getting a few little practice runs to get in sync. He would spy little course markers that lay about on the field.

From behind he would find a hand on his shoulder. Behind him was who one could assume to be the race coordinator, a short thick middle aged woman with a matronly look to her face, she gave him a smile. "Ya looking to join in on the race sweetie? My husband mentioned talkin' to one of the 'strangers' in joinin' heheh."
--

@Pinto and Frederick

The writing on it seems to indicate that the vials and bottles are of antitoxins and neutralize poisons, they were on a middle shelf, low enough to knock down but among a dense collection of other items on the shelf that disturbing the shelf was a risk.

Springjack
2015-04-15, 09:21 PM
Antitoxin bottles. False alarm.

"It's nothing important Pinto. Leave it. said Frederick as he severed their sense bond. Keep me posted on anything suspicious. Focus on the mayor's office and living quarters. Before he ended the telepathy, the summoner added Keep at it sport; you're doing just fine.

"Yessir Master!" Pinto was disappointed that his first discovery wasn't an earth-shattering clue but he bounced back in the blink of an eye. The eidolon seemed physically incapable of harboring negative emotion for more than two seconds.

Pinto exited the pantry and closed the door behind him. His giant eye swept across the first floor one last time, making sure everything was sitting where it belonged, then made a beeline for the staircase and crept up to the second floor.

Smileybastard
2015-04-15, 10:06 PM
Azeron

"Key-o-nin?.." She scrunched her brows up at the handsome elf-aasimar. "Where is that mah good ser? I ain't never heard of it." Then again she probably never heard of much anyway outside of Ravenmoor and probably some of Magnimar. "Is it far away?" She had a bit of a dreamy eyed tone in her voice.

"Kyonin is the ... homeland of the elves. My mother still lives there. I left long ago after doing questionable things, but ... I try to make amends."

Athaleon
2015-04-16, 12:23 AM
Garren

If not for the job he'd have sought out some attractive young lady to be his partner, but he was supposed to be distracting the locals, not the other way around. "No need to talk me into it, this looks to be some good clean fun like I haven't had in years. Just hitch me up to a partner and I'll be good to go."

Benson
2015-04-17, 03:07 AM
@Pinto

Upstairs, Pinto would find what was effectively guest quarters, six cramped guest rooms, and here Kriegler had you all camping outside, the nerve! :P The rooms were ten by ten with one being fifteen by ten. Each guest room behind these doors is starkly appointed with a single framed bed covered in a thin quilt. A wooden washbasin rests against the wall near a pitcher of smelly water. Four rooms have windows that look out past the barren estate toward the Lampblack.

One finds a scrap of paper stuffed into a slit in the mattress where the bed is pushed against the wall. One side of the paper contains an order from the city of Magnimar for the collection of 500 gp in back taxes from Ravenmoor, while on the other is a crude map of Ravenmoor with several buildings circled—the trading post, the weaver, the ferry, and Kriegler Manor.

Downstairs the sound of the front door closing harshly could be heard.
---

@Azeron

"Tryin ta atone fer some wrong doin's?....Heheh." Shel giggle and laced her fingers with his gloved ones as she made him twirl her. "...There is somethin'...noble? Gyah...I kin't think of the word but anyways....ooh wait...admire-able, right? Heh, mmm." She glanced off to the side and then back at Azeron with her beaming smile.

"Ya know, why don't ya durin the feast, come sit wit me and my ma and pa? I would love ta have yer company ol Ser Azeron of Key-onin."
--

@Garren

The matronly woman smiled at Garren and nodded. She then looked over yonder him and let out a shrill whistle and waved over a young lad over. The young lad was a large and heavy set boy with curly hair and peach fuzz glanced over and gave a big wave. He then hustled over and smiled down at Garren.

"Hiyo, guessin yer mah partner in crime eh?" He asked with a grin and stuck out his hand for a shake. "Name's Obie mister." He had some very rough, working in the fields hands.

Smileybastard
2015-04-17, 09:38 PM
"Tryin ta atone fer some wrong doin's?....Heheh." Shel giggle and laced her fingers with his gloved ones as she made him twirl her. "...There is somethin'...noble? Gyah...I kin't think of the word but anyways....ooh wait...admire-able, right? Heh, mmm." She glanced off to the side and then back at Azeron with her beaming smile.

"Ya know, why don't ya durin the feast, come sit wit me and my ma and pa? I would love ta have yer company ol Ser Azeron of Key-onin."

Azeron

"Well, I did some despicable things, so it is only right to make amends.

I am happy to sit with you, but wouldn't your father be angry?"

Athaleon
2015-04-18, 12:38 PM
Garren took the boy's hand and shook. "My name's Garren, lad. I gotta say this isn't something I do very often, so if you got any tips for me, I'll be glad to hear 'em."

Springjack
2015-04-19, 07:54 PM
Pinto was able to find that scrap of paper well enough and the fact that it was hidden away in a mattress got him all excited about the "secret document". He was giving it a once over when the front door slammed shut. He froze like a scared rabbit, then grabbed the paper and scooted underneath one of the beds. "Master look!" he whispered furtively to Frederick, an obviously unnecessary precaution seeing as how he was communicating telepathically. "I found a note hidden in a bed. You must look now, for there is a big man coming back!"

Frederick, who had been waiting patiently for contact again, connected senses with his eidolon immediately. Upon seeing the tax order, he furrowed his brow. Well it proved that Elias spent the night at the mayor's house, just as Kreigler had stated. What did it mean though? Why didn't Elias take it with him? "Good job Pinto! Quickly, what's on the back?"

Pinto nodded to nobody in particular and flipped the paper over. Frederick made a fast mental note of the circled buildings, for through the eidolon's ears, the summoner heard footsteps echoing in the house. It was probably a good bet that Leonard wouldn't wander into a guest bedroom for no real reason. Still, caution was of utmost importance right now. Discussions and questions would come later.

"Alright, I'm getting you out of there."

Pinto nodded again, almost cracking his skull on the bed in the process. He gave the paper one last look then crumpled it into a corner just before he was sent back to his home plane.

------------

Back at the picnic table, Frederick began the small ritual to summon Pinto to his side...

Using Bond Senses for a round or two (and here I was thinking it was a useless ability). I figure that Leonard's not immediately charging up the stairs and into the guest rooms so Frederick will have enough time to scan the note before unsummoning double-o-Pint.

Benson
2015-04-21, 03:32 AM
@Azeron

"I think it'll be alright Ser Azeron of Key-oni, a'hm sure I kin talk some convincin' in him," The blonde gal gave him a flirty smile and bow right the fiddle music ended and their current dance over.

"Well I gotta say, it were a pleasure dancin wit ya, thank ya fer obligin' a lady," She tip toed to give him a light peck on his cheek.
--

@Garren

"Well I reckon we oughta just hope we kin stay in sync," Obie laughed heartily. "Strides'll be a little tough since we got differen't heights, I think we'll manage fine and dandy-like."

And so the race began, folks were getting to the startin positions, there were four other pairs in this little race. Twas to be a 150 ft course. At the command, the race was on.

< No Check to move at half speed. DC 10 Acrobatics to move full speed. DC 15 to try to move at Double Speed. Obie has an Acrobatics +2 if you want to roll for his as well. Both participants need to make their checks to Succeed. I will be rolling for the other pairs. We will go with five pairs of rolls>
---

@Pinto and Freddy

Luckily yes, Frederick would have enough time to look it over. Amusingly, no one really seemed to pay attention the summoning goodness Frederick was up to.
====

In the center of the festival grounds, folks started to gather a lot of wood and dump it together.

Smileybastard
2015-04-21, 07:44 AM
Azeron

Azeron smiles and bows as Shel does. "I was my pleasure." After seeing the gathering of the wood he asks her "What is going on over there?"

Springjack
2015-04-21, 10:08 PM
Frederick pointed to Azeron and relayed a message. "It's done. Debriefing later." The words were no louder than a soft whisper, but the paladin could hear them as clearly as if the summoner was standing right next to him. Garren and the rest of the team were informed immediately after, using the same means. He did catch the antics of his comrades and couldn't help but have a small chuckle to himself.

Once that business was concluded, Frederick rose to his feet and scratched Pinto on the head. Now then Pinto, I should like for us to enjoy the festival for a bit. Come along now. The eidolon happily obliged. The hustle and bustle in the festival center caught Frederick's attention and he headed on over to where the wood was being piled up. No doubt a bonfire of some sort.

"Well this looks interesting. What do we have here?" Frederick asked the townsfolk, waving at the tinder.

Using Message cantrip on Azeron, Garren and Melodrin

Benson
2015-04-22, 03:35 AM
@Azeron

"Oh the Dreamer's leap? Looks like they are'a gettin' ready for that there yonder," Shel answered with a smile. "Itsa puri-faycation ritual, villagers take turns leapin' over the flames. It is quite a sight ta see." She giggled.
--

@Frederick

"Gonna have us a biiiiiig ol bonniefire...a whole lot of us is gonna be jumping through the flames in'na test of courage and as an ol pureefication ritual." One of the townfolks answered with a smile as he walked and talked while carrying a big pile of woof.

Athaleon
2015-04-22, 11:42 AM
Slow and steady wins the race. No use trying to out-pace his partner, Garren surmised. Instead he tried to stay in sync with Obie, like the lad had suggested.

At +9 Acrobatics, Garren auto-succeeds his checks to move at normal speed. As for Obie:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Smileybastard
2015-04-22, 10:08 PM
@Azeron

"Oh the Dreamer's leap? Looks like they are'a gettin' ready for that there yonder," Shel answered with a smile. "Itsa puri-faycation ritual, villagers take turns leapin' over the flames. It is quite a sight ta see." She giggled.

Azeron

"I see, well I should take that in, I suppose."

Springjack
2015-04-23, 12:28 AM
Frederick rolled up his sleeves. "Here, let me help with the wood collection. I insist. he added with a broad smile, silencing any protestations of "oh but you're guests" before they began. A bit of manual labor was good for the heart.

Benson
2015-04-24, 12:53 PM
@Garren

"Hip hip hoorah!" The small crowd hooted and hollered when Obie and Garren found themselves at the finish line. It was a close race, a pair with two teen boys were contenders and would have won if it weren't for a stumble towards the end when they tried to double their speed. At the end of the course, Obie would have grinned wildly and tumbled forward bringing Garren down with him, he was exhausted but happy.

The matronly woman in charge of the race untied their legs and helped the boys up. "Congrats on the win boys." She smiled and then rummaged in a large satchel. Other folks gathered around and congratulated the pair and gave hearty back pats.

"Good race," The two teen boys said to Garren and Obie, the other three pairs gave their congrats as well, though of course there was that one pair that looked a little butt hurt to lose.

"You just won braggin' rights and.." She pulled out some wooden pendants and put them over Garren's and Obie's necks. The pendants were in the image of stylized ravens.

"That was fun, thank ya fer bein mah partner," The boy Obie grinned at Garren, the simple lad was just all smiles right now with winning the race.
===

@Azeron

"Oooh! Let's go!" Shel giggled and grabbed Azeron's wrist and gaily dragged him on over.
===

@Frederick

And so Freddy forced his way to help, there were some grateful nods since his actions meant they could get on to the next step sooner!

@Everyone

A few minutes later the wood pile was alit as a large bonfire crackled into life. The fire was ten feet in diameter with 3-foot-high flames. Soon after, almost half the townsfolk began to gather around the bonfire and started to yell out hoots and hollers and cheers. Words like Dream Tender, The Slumberer, and Dormant Dreamer were tossed about while many young men and women with proud grins on their faces began to run and leap through the flames trying to show off.

A fiddler appeared and began to play some medium tempo music to accompany the little ritual going on before them. There was foot stomping, folks of various ages were permitted to participate, young and old with some folks on stand-by if someone got a little too crispy.

Smileybastard
2015-04-24, 08:12 PM
Azeron

Azeron smiles as helets Shel drag him to the fire. "Have you ever participated in the dreamers leap?"

Knowledge(Religion) [roll0] to see if this or the terms he hears are related to anything religious

Springjack
2015-04-26, 10:35 PM
Frederick stood near the blazing fire, drink in hand, merrily mingling with the townsfolk. Garren and Melodrin were around somewhere else and the summoner decided to give the lovebirds Azeron and Shel some space. Pinto was...being Pinto, delighting and confusing the good folk of Ravenmoor with whatever current antics were in control of his brain at the moment.

Whenever a brave and reckless soul stepped up to test his/her mettle in the little trial by fire, Frederick would raise his glass and boom out encouragement to bolster their spirits. The secret to not getting singed was a resolute will; just like in battle, the briefest moment of hesitation could completely derail precious momentum. Of course, grace and nimble feet were equally advantageous.

The large man breathed in the smoky air with gusto. "Ah, nothing like the smell of an open fire. Warms the body and spirit, eh lads?" Frederick clinked beer mugs with fellow onlookers. "Cheers then!"

Athaleon
2015-04-26, 11:27 PM
Garren rejoined the others at the fire after returning the grins and back pats with sincerity, and drank and hollered with the rest at the bonfire. With Pinto's snooping apparently finished, for better or for worse, he decided he could relax.

Benson
2015-04-27, 01:49 AM
From what Azeron is able to understand, these are likely older titles given to the Songsphere..Desna.

"I have before, tis quite excitin, the flames are said ta be blessed by the Dream Tender," Shel giggled as the two joined the crowd and played witness to folks jumping through the flames. Merriment all around, huzzahs and cheers mostly lead by the hearty Frederick. "Why don't ya give it a try and receive the goddess' blessin?" The blonde lass giggled again as one fellow leapt through the flames catching his sleeve with a small flame though it was quickly put out with help. Huzzahs!

-

"Hear hear!" One farmer raised his cup of wine and grinned at Frederick's words, followed by other menfolk around. Huzzahs! Huzzahs!

"Say stranger, do ya think yerself worthy of The Slumberer?" One townie drunkenly nudged Frederick. *hic*

<Optional Jumping through dur fire Check....DC 12 Acrobatics, running start allowed>

Over yonder at the raven fights, things were coming to close, the birds were being put away as villagers quickly began to erect a low fence of timbers around the central competition green.

Springjack
2015-04-27, 10:47 PM
Frederick wasn't exactly a graceful ballerina, but the festive atmosphere, combined with the cold and slightly inebriating brew fired up his manly spirit. After a moment of grave pondering, he smiled broadly, reflecting glints of yellow and orange off of his exemplary chompers. "Oh hells. I am no halfling acrobat, but worthy or not, I should still like to test my mettle.

The broad man peeled off his armor and handed one of the farmers his cup. Here. Be a good lad and keep this safe with you?"

Oh boy! I want to try too! Pinto popped out of nowhere and before anyone could get their bearings, the little alien launched himself into the air and flew clear across the bonfire (and then some). He landed on the other side, safe and sound with a giant smile plastered on his face.

Frederick boomed with laughter. "Hahahaha, you little showoff, how am I supposed to compete with that? The summoner took a running start and leapt into the flames. It was a fair jump...but too short, unfortunately; ol' Freddy wasn't nearly as nimble as his pet. He landed with a heavy thud right in the middle of the bonfire, snapping charred wood and spraying sparks high into the air.

After a couple seconds of hushed tension, Frederick burst out of the fire like a bat out of hell, grimacing in pain from the burning heat, but as soon as he was out of the fire, that unassailable grin of his appeared again. A few burns weren't going to stifle his spirits, though he'd probably feel it in the morning. Frederick shook himself violently, sending more ashes dancing through the sky, while villagers started hitting him with blankets and such. "I should stick to just drinking then eh? Haha!"

Athaleon
2015-04-28, 12:30 AM
Garren took a deep breath and rubbed his hands together in anticipation before attempting the jump himself.

Garren will spend one use of Archaeologist's Luck to help him auto-pass the DC12 Acrobatics check. You can't trust those dice, I'm telling you.

Smileybastard
2015-04-28, 09:10 PM
Azeron

"Why not?" Azeron heads towards the fire.

Smileybastard
2015-04-29, 10:10 PM
Azeron

Azeron moves near the fire and carefully removes his armor and weapons. He then smiles at Shel, saying "Wish me luck" and taking a run leaps over the fire.

Acrobatics [roll0]

Benson
2015-04-30, 03:51 AM
Garren flew on through with an impressive agile-ness, he would barely feel the heat as crowds whooped and cheered.

One elderly townie approached Garren and patted him on the back and whooped whilst guzzling down some wine. "Hoooweeee...that there done was some swanky moving-ments...I reckon ya be a top choice in the greased pig catchin' contest!" He wheezingly chuckled.

--
Frederick and Azeron on the other hand, even with a good luck thrown Azeron's way by Shel would find themselves getting *licked unpleasantly by the flames. Though of course folks were quick to put out their flames. Folks cheered and laughed, some declaring that the two were clearly blessed by the flames.

Shel rushed over to Azeron with an amused expression after the flames were patted away. "You alright there Mistah Azeron?"
--

"Not surprised ya didn't go up in flames with the booze in yer system," The drunken townie from before widely grinned at Frederick and patted him heartily on the back. "Cheers fer ya stranga'!" He raised his mug and guzzled down that wine.

Smileybastard
2015-04-30, 05:57 AM
Azeron

Azeron laughs. "Of course my dear, all is well. I guess jumping over fire is just not my forte."

Springjack
2015-04-30, 10:39 PM
Frederick donned his chain shirt again (he felt naked without it on), gritting his teeth as the metal scraped over exposed burns, though that passed quickly. Even the flames of the Abyss would not keep the mercenary veteran down for long.

A new mug was procured, more wine was poured, new toasts were orated and the festivities carried on. Freddy congratulated Garren on his successful jump, and commiserated a bit with Azeron on their less than graceful results.

Now, even though Frederick was having a good time of it all, he was careful not to get too caught up in the festivities and especially in the drink. Though his cup was never empty, the large man was disciplined enough to monitor his alcoholic consumption. After all, underneath all the fun and games, there was still a mission to complete and the group still needed to discuss Pinto's findings later on.

"Every man needs a vice to consume", Frederick's old captain used to say, "but never let it turn the tables and consume you". Wise words indeed.

Athaleon
2015-05-01, 12:34 AM
Garren brushed himself off after the jump and hollered as loudly as any of the townsfolk when they cheered. He pulled out the raven medallion he'd just won, and called to the crowd "Looks like this lucky charm's working already! What's next?" He high-fived, hand-shook and back-patted his way through the crowd to secure himself another mug of... well, better make this one water. No telling how long the festival would go on for, after all.

Smileybastard
2015-05-01, 05:10 AM
Azeron

Azeron whispers a brief prayer almost silently and his burns vanish.

Benson
2015-05-01, 01:06 PM
Over yonder at the green where the fence was finished being erected, a crowd gathered over there while our three and a Pinto enjoyed the festivities near the bonfire.
--
Shel girlishly giggled at Azeron's little moment of humor. "Well maybe ya oughta think of it as ya was blessed by the flames heheh."

"Unless that vice that a beautiful woman! Hyuk hyuk!" One of the drunk townies laughed heartily and lazily winked, joining in with Frederick in his mirth.

Just as Garren asked aloud to no one in particular about 'what was next' and made his way to snag himself a drink, there was a loud scream coming from the where the greased pig catching contest was to be held. It pierced the air and was audible for the four, not to mention a gaggle of townies quickly rushing away from that area..

Smileybastard
2015-05-01, 07:07 PM
Azeron

Shel girlishly giggled at Azeron's little moment of humor. "Well maybe ya oughta think of it as ya was blessed by the flames heheh."

Azeron smiles. "I find everything in life, good or bad, is a blessing, in the sense we can learn from it."

Athaleon
2015-05-02, 10:41 AM
Just as Garren asked aloud to no one in particular about 'what was next' and made his way to snag himself a drink, there was a loud scream coming from the where the greased pig catching contest was to be held. It pierced the air and was audible for the four, not to mention a gaggle of townies quickly rushing away from that area..

"What the hell?" Garren sprang to his feet and rushed towards the scream, pushing his way past townies running in the opposite direction.

Smileybastard
2015-05-02, 10:58 AM
Azeron

Hearing the scream, Azeron runs towards it through the fleeing townspeople.

Springjack
2015-05-02, 06:37 PM
The scream startled Frederick out of his revelry, adrenaline overriding the slightly pleasant buzz he had been working to cultivate. "What in the Hells indeed!" He wondered for a second if this was a situation worth retrieving the longspear for, then thought against it. No need to jump to conclusions and if it was something that necessitated some tender punches to the face, Frederick had his trusty cestus for that.

"Pinto, on point." Frederick quickly followed behind Azeron and Garren while the eidolon scooted ahead of the others. Pinto weaved through the crowd as he scouted to see what the fuss was about.

Benson
2015-05-04, 01:49 AM
When you arrive there at the greased pig contest green, you find three townies on the ground having had fallen backwards onto their bums, backs against the three foot fence. Less then fifteen feet in front of them was the pig...sorta.

What could have been presumed to been a normalish pig was now some sort of mutated twisted monstrosity. An additional pair of legs seemed to have sprouted from its body and its eyes now turned pitch black with no visible whites, while a number of flytrap like jaws sprouted from its back. One of these jaws is large enough to snap and bite at foes. It turns to the close villagers and lets out a horrific shriek that sounds disturbingly like a crying baby rather than a pig as it takes on a horrific stance. The three villagers themselves found themselves feeling sick.

<Will Save DC 10 to not become Sickened for 1 Round. It is a supernatural effect.>

http://i.imgur.com/LkJOXcm.jpg

Smileybastard
2015-05-04, 05:11 AM
Azeron

Azeron draws his great sword and charges towards the monstrosity.

Will Save [roll0]
Not an actual charge attack.
Power attack

Attack [roll1] (-2 if he fails the save)
Damage [roll2] (-2 if he fails the save)

Athaleon
2015-05-04, 12:14 PM
Garren cursed as he realized he'd left most of his weapons behind. He still had his dagger, which he drew at the same time as he began to cast a spell. "Greased pig contest, huh?" he muttered as he cast a Grease spell under the creature's feet, careful not to catch Azeron in the effect.

Move action to draw dagger, standard to cast Grease, Reflex DC 14

Springjack
2015-05-04, 12:29 PM
"Hey, look at the strange piggy-bllluuurgh!" Pinto's excited commentary was cut short as the strange porcine creature's disgusting mannerisms caused the poor eidolon to gag involuntarily.

Frederick also felt an uncomfortable knot threatening to form in his stomach at the sight of the grotesque beast, but he gritted his teeth and the wave of nausea disappeared. It would take more than that to get this salty dog to lose his lunch!

"Pinto, flank position on Azeron." Frederick pulled out his shield wand and raised it high, creating a protective layer of force around himself.

"Aye aye! *urp*" Pinto gave himself a violent shake and pushed down the sick feeling as best he could. He darted around the mutant pig towards its backside, carefully trying to avoid any sudden attacks from it.

Poor Pinto is sickened (-2 attack, damage, saves, skills and ability checks)
Frederick retrieves wand of Shield (spring load sheathe swift action) and casts it on himself (+4 AC 1 min)

Springjack
2015-05-04, 12:30 PM
[roll0] Pinto's Acrobatics to avoid AoO. Half speed move (20 ft)

Benson
2015-05-05, 03:21 AM
Azeron would find his mighty blade find itself striking against the growth on the pig's back, lopping off one venus-fly trap looking piece causing the pig to squeal in its unnatural manner. The pig soon found itself unable to hold itself up when suddenly from behind five feet, it a 10 ft round part of the ground found itself covered in a magical grease caused by Garren.

Pinto leaped on over with ease, almost flying over the fence and landed next to the pig on its right, the eidolen may find himself needing to Reflex save with the ground underneath on the slippery side.

Initiative!

Pinto
Azeron
Piggy
Frederick
Garren

Springjack
2015-05-05, 12:32 PM
Pinto whirled around and started nipping at the strange pig's back and heels, unfazed by Garren's impromptu slip n slide. His job was annoyance and distraction, splitting the enemy's attention in half to let the big hitters like Azeron do what they did best; slicing and dicing the bad guys.

[roll0] Acrobatics
[roll1] Bite (flanking)
[roll2] damage

Smileybastard
2015-05-05, 08:45 PM
Azeron

Azeron focuses his mystical senses and looks into the heart of the beast as he swings his great blade again.

Detect Evil on the pig.
power attack
Attack [roll0] I added +2 for flanking
Damage [roll1]

Benson
2015-05-06, 12:36 PM
The mutated piggy squealed in annoyance when Pinto bit it, Pinto would find a yucky flavor on his tongue, like something rotten. Azeron's blade cut down hard against the creature that his divine magics would come to see to have a bit of an evil aura, particularly concentrated on its growth. But anyways, the blade cut deep into the fallen monstrosity which nastily squealed horrifically once more. It was shallowly breathing as it tried to stand up, but the mix of the grease and the deep cut from Azeron prevented it from doing so. It looked to be on its last breath..

Next!

Frederick
Garren

(dat Grease spell xD)

Springjack
2015-05-06, 12:57 PM
When porkenstein slipped and fell to the ground, Frederick seized the opportunity and went in for the attack. He raised a cestus-encased fist high into the air and punched downward at the pig's head with great force.

[roll0] attack
[roll1] cestus damage

Athaleon
2015-05-06, 03:08 PM
Garren joined the crowd butchering the creature, laying into the mutant pig with his dagger.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Benson
2015-05-07, 12:23 PM
And so Frederick drove his cestus into the head of the mutant pig just as while Garren joined in to help, unfortunately Garren's dagger merely hit the hairy tuff at the tail, probably minor slipping on the grease residue throwing him off. However, that creature was dead, its body coming to a silent halt.

Dead.

Those who lingered about watched and waited with bated breath at the occurrence.

Springjack
2015-05-07, 01:46 PM
Frederick knelt down on one knee to examine the dead pig while Pinto sat on his haunches and started scrubbing the nasty taste off of his tongue with his forepaws. The animal seemed to be infected with fungi of some sort. A parasite that eroded the mind, perhaps? "Let us hope that this isn't another strange pet." The large man whispered half-jokingly to his companions, suddenly recalling the minor incident with Applesauce the hapless stirge.

"Well this is a fine mess." Frederick exclaimed as he stood up and placed hands on hips, staring at the dead animal critically. "What happened here?" he asked of the townsfolk.

Smileybastard
2015-05-07, 11:20 PM
Azeron

"Does anyone know what that was or how it came to be here?"

Athaleon
2015-05-10, 12:46 AM
Garren sheathed his dagger and looked around numbly at the townsfolk for an answer. In the meantime, he decided he'd go retrieve the party's weapons.

Benson
2015-05-11, 11:38 AM
One of the townies from the crowd spoke up stepping forward, a hushed silence around him. "Well..first I am the contest master and....well....the pig catching contest was starting out as normal, the three contestants were trying to catch the pig, things were going well and planned, crowd enjoying themselves with the antics, laughter and merriment. When suddenly just a few moments afterwards when one of them had it pinned down, the pig suddenly and swiftly transformed into that beast." He gestured to fallen abomination.

Smileybastard
2015-05-11, 12:00 PM
Azeron

Azeron nods towards the outspoken townie then looks out at the crowd around them. "Please, we are here to help. Did anyone see anything else? Is anyone hurt?"

Diplomacy to get more information [roll0] +1 if friendly.
Perception to hear anything anyone says of interest [roll1] -2 for sight
Detect evil on the crowd.

Springjack
2015-05-11, 01:25 PM
"Hmm". Frederick rumbled thoughtfully. "Seems as though the pig was afflicted with a parasite of some sort. I'm glad that nobody was injured by the beast."

Athaleon
2015-05-11, 04:27 PM
Garren returned with the weapons in time to hear Frederick's remark. "Parasite, huh. Think we'd better go check the farm the pig came from, just in case. Don't want a nasty surprise when someone goes home."

Smileybastard
2015-05-11, 04:57 PM
Azeron

"I am unconvinced it was a parasite. There was a hint of taint of evil to it." He looks around for Shel to ensure she was safe. "Frederick, what makes you conclude it was likely a parasite?"

Perception [roll0]

Springjack
2015-05-11, 06:38 PM
"Just a gut feeling, mate. Nothing conclusive." Frederick replied. "I don't like that strange plant growth sprouting out of the pig's back. It seems...vaguely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it." Mind-altering parasites did exist in nature, though they tended to affect insects and small creatures mostly. Did such creatures have the mental capacity to be considered evil though?

The large man clapped his hands together. "No matter. If you say it had an evil taint to it, then it's just as well that we put the beast down, parasite or not." He looked to the townsfolk and gave them a nod. "I recommend you check your other livestock, just in case."

Benson
2015-05-12, 12:19 PM
On the crowd of commoners, Azeron's Detect Evil did not seem to yield results to him, the closest thing due to the radius was just the dead mutant pig thing body. However for a brief second as the paladin scanned the crowd there were two pairs of shady eyes locked on his, looking back it would seem that whoever they were disappeared into the murmuring crowd.

It would not be hard to find Shel, her much more colorful dress made her stand out. She seemed to have rushed on over as well to see what the hubbub was all about. She had her hand over her mouth at the nasty sight of the dead pig-creature.

The crowd murmured at Frederick's suggestion. "Ya reckon there be more of these sorts of creatures? Hmm.." One townie among the crowd asked.

Athaleon
2015-05-12, 12:48 PM
Garren replied to the townie, loud enough for all to hear. "I don't think so, but we had better make sure, just to be safe. Get your weapons and check on your livestock, and do it in groups."

Smileybastard
2015-05-12, 03:48 PM
Azeron

Azeron walks towards Shel and talks to the crowd as he walks. "Without knowing what this this is or where it came from it is hard to say much of anything. We will look into it."

Springjack
2015-05-14, 12:42 PM
"Let us take a quick look then, and put this matter to rest." Frederick nodded in thanks to Garren and retrieved his longspear. "The good folk of Ravenmoor deserve to return to their festivities with peace of mind."

Smileybastard
2015-05-14, 06:43 PM
Azeron

"Can one of you check it for magical auras? Maybe a spell was cast on it?"

Springjack
2015-05-14, 11:56 PM
Frederick obliged his comrade, scanning the dead plant-pig for any magical auras, though he was skeptical that any spells were involved.

Detect Magic on piggy, for funsies

Benson
2015-05-15, 11:55 AM
Upon casting his Detect Magic, Frederick would sense a small lingering magical aura on the deceased mutated pig, likely indicating it possessed magical inclinations of its own.

After some grumbling and feelings of annoyance, some folks opted for taking some time to check their livestock and what not, others, stubborn, did not feeling it was a pain in the butt and continued with their festivities instead. After thirty minutes, no one seemed to report any weirdness with their animals. Folks were confused but relieved. Naturally this occurrence spread to the other townies who were not part of that little hooplah and some of them checked their own livestock but the result was the same.

One townie offered the suggestion of burning the corpse being that it seemed /it were plant-y like/, though when the body proved a bit fire resistance, they threw it in the river, handling the body carefully. Folks were just happy to get back to the festivities after this little weird speed bump, drinking, partying it up and eating were all very much preferred.

Speaking of eating, the sounds of several dinner bells began to clang within the perimeter of the festival grounds!

Springjack
2015-05-16, 12:56 AM
Now that the plant-pig business was over and the other livestock seemed reasonably safe, Frederick was content to chalk things up as a freak occurrence and go back to socializing. The beast's minor magical aura and fire resistance was intriguing, as those were normally signs of extraplanar origin.

Anyhow, there was the dinner bell. "Come on then lads. Let us rejoin the festivities." Frederick shouldered the longspear and smiled at comrades. His voice dropped an octave. "Though you may want to stay away from the bacon tonight...just in case." He added, tongue-in-cheek and with a wink.

Athaleon
2015-05-16, 02:56 PM
"Shouldn't have said that... I might have trouble finding my appetite as it is." Garren wandered over to the dinner table with the others, and tried to enjoy the rest of the evening.

Smileybastard
2015-05-16, 03:47 PM
Azeron

Azeron, feeling still on edge about the incident with the monstrous pig, begins to make his way towards the festival grounds.

Benson
2015-05-19, 02:37 AM
As sundown approaches, the villagers light the bonfires lining the perimeter of the festival grounds, illuminating the area as the various preparations are drawn to the central tables, outspread quilts, and scattered benches. The feast itself begins without fanfare, as steaming-hot platters of the day’s labors are distributed among the families. The posse, with their heroics fresh on everyone's minds would find themselves to be invited to join and sit at the Mayor's table, along with important villagers, the elder council and the victors of festival events. Kriegler’s brother Leonard is oddly absent.. Though for Azeron he would also have the option of sitting with Shel and her family given her invitation earlier.

The families responsible for particular aspects of the meal proudly make their way to each table or pavilion, serving everyone as much as one can eat. Once all are served, Mayor Kriegler stands for a short benediction to bless the meal and give thanks to “the slumbering dreamer whose gossamer cloak protects us.” Among the usual fare of whole fresh greens, more roasted corn, (non mutant) roasted pig, and fresh baked breads, the feast’s more unusual offerings include the following.

Large black mushrooms, sauteed with butter and lime. A rather unique salad with distinctive serrated leaves. The leaves are identified as flayleaf. A mild intoxicant, these leaves, tossed in a malt vinegar, have a bitter and biting flavor, and eating a portion counts as a single consumption of the drug (Fort DC 12 resists, causes 1 Wisdom damage, fatigue for 1 hour, and a +2 alchemical bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects for 1 hour).

Fried Silkworms, Alizna the town weaver, provides a bounty of large Mushfen silkworm pupae served on wooden platters. These crispy, deep-fried insects are served with a small dish of ground caraway seeds and salt, and have a crunchy, chewy texture. Next up, Smoked Tick Legs, the hard, chitinous legs of giant ticks are smoked first, then boiled. Served steaming hot, villagers use small, two-pronged forks to tear apart the outer shell to get at the soft meat inside, much like boiled crabs served in coastal communities. The flavor is decidedly loamy and gamey. Lastly, Stirge Blood Sausage.

Ravenmoor’s most popular delicacy is the specially prepared blood sacks of stirges. The engorged creatures are plucked fresh from blood-drained oxen and their abdomens pinched and twisted off. These casings are stuffed with spices and rye berries and then boiled; the blood, grains, and spices congeal, forming a briny sausage that is disturbingly delicious.

Nom nom nom

Smileybastard
2015-05-20, 05:30 AM
Azeron

Azeron does his best to put his cultural norms aside and samples the various dished to find one he enjoys.

Springjack
2015-05-20, 02:12 PM
Frederick didn't seem fazed by the unusual food and thoroughly sampled each fare that was offered. Well, all except for the flayleaf salad, which the large man politely declined. The only drug Frederick was willing to partake in was alcohol (and women!). Just a personal principle, really. Pinto sat by his master's side, happily devouring anything and everything the townsfolk fed to him until he rolled over on his side, belly full and leg twitching in satisfaction.

Athaleon
2015-05-20, 03:37 PM
Garren knew from experience never to mix his intoxicants. Either alcohol or herbals, not both. Hell, these days he was reluctant to drink both ale and spirits on the same night. He tried to forget about the ugly business earlier, and enjoy the feast.

Benson
2015-05-22, 01:07 PM
While Azeron ate, Shel engaged in flirty banter just a few feet away from her father who just sported a cold stare at the paladin while slowly munching his tick leg, while her mother tried to take his attention off of him. At some point that family excused themselves along with two other families. This left Azeron to join up with his pals should he seek to.
--

Mayor Kriegler at some point while everyone was eating called for everyone's attention with out a loud tink of his fork against his goblet.

"Ahem, I would just like to thank everyone for coming and helping put together our great feast, however now it time for us to crown our Founder's Queen," The mayor then made a gestured nod of his head as then the families mentioned above presented their beautiful teenage daughters to the feasters. Each is dressed in white silk robes with intricately braided hair decorated with garlands of local flowers. Among the three was Shel who was all big smiles and airy giggles.

The three girls gracefully paraded themselves around the tables and pavilions as they began to in turn practiced recount the story of Ravenmoor's founding.

"Our great village of Ravenmoor was founded during the initial burst of Chelish colonialism that saw the birth of much larger cities like Magnimar, Korvosa, and Riddleport. Yet where those cities flourished, Ravenmoor alas could not progress far beyond its rural beginnings, for in the early years the town was ravaged by what appeared to be a supernatural blight. With the villagers close to starvation, the town’s founder, a priestess of the Dream Tender, Iola Kriegler, decided to undertake a sort of vision quest to seek a solution to her village’s problems.

In the end, Iola was able to return and in doing so brought prosperity back to the village by luring the crops’ corruption to sleep on... the soft wings of dreaming moths."

Athaleon
2015-05-22, 09:51 PM
Garren sat back and listened politely to the story. These were always embellished, if not outright fabricated, and the suggestion of the mayor's ancestor being the village's historic savior would have made Garren raise an eyebrow. He decided to wait out the story, then ask a few questions that any curious outsider might be interested to hear.

Questions like:

"How long ago was that?"
"Was Iola Kriegler the ancestor of Mayor Kriegler?"
"What did Iola do, exactly, to make the blight go away? Was it some kind of devotion or ritual?"

Smileybastard
2015-05-23, 12:16 AM
Azeron

Azeron listens smiling at Shel.

Springjack
2015-05-23, 04:59 PM
Frederick listened with interest as Mayor Kreigler regaled the crowd with his tale of Ravenmoor's birth, smiling warmly at the girls as they paraded around the tables.

[roll0] Knowledge: Local to see if Frederick had heard of Iola or Ravenmoor's founding in some capacity during his travels

Benson
2015-05-26, 12:13 PM
@Garren

"Oh goodness yes, long time ago, almost around 4608 AR, close to 200 years ago!"

"Oooh yes, great great great plus a few more greats grandmother *enthusiastic nod*"

"Ritual I think...no devotion...a ritual of devotion towards the Dream Tender. I reckon the Dream Tender found her worthy of their blessings and thus bring good harvest for Ravenmoor!"

@Frederick

Frederick would have heard a similar sounding tale like the one told by the girls and would have had confirmation that Iola is a real person.
-

After the story has been told in turn by the three girls, Mayor Kriegler consulted with the village elders seated near him. The well dressed mayor then stood up and clasped his hands together. "Well, we have decided that this month's Founder's Feast Queen is............Miss Shel Lupescu!" There were cheers and clapping from the villagers and shouts of huzzah with tankards of wine being thrusted in the air. Shel's mother and father stood up and clapped loudly, her mother fanning herself, a small smile on her face as she clapped.

Through small indicators in body language, brief uneasy smile, a single eye twitch, you can tell that Shel's mother is likely not truly happy..

Shel walked over to where the mayor and close to where the party sat as she was presented with a wreath of woven vines and flowers. The girl gave a 'queenly' wave and looked a little misty eyed and then locked her eyes on Azeron giving him a flirty smile.

Springjack
2015-05-26, 10:30 PM
"Aye would you look at that. The feast queen has eyes only for our little Azeron. She's taken a liking to you, mate." Frederick ribbed his friend in a good-natured manner. "Ah, the springtime of youth. Such a wonderful feeling, it is."

Pinto cheered and bounced around enthusiastically with the others, caught up in the festive emotions. He happened to glance at Shel's parents and noticed off-hand that Mamma Shel didn't seem very happy that her daughter had won the competition? Why was that? She should be super proud!

And just like that, Pinto's bit of observation was put off to the side for now, replaced with merrier thoughts, for the little eidolon didn't really see a reason to bring it up...

Smileybastard
2015-05-27, 05:05 AM
Azeron

Azeron nods, but seems a little baffled by by Frederick's comments of springtime.

Athaleon
2015-05-27, 12:15 PM
Garren clapped and hollered with the rest of the crowd, and gave Azeron a hearty, knowing pat on the back.

Benson
2015-05-29, 11:20 AM
Shel looked a little disappointed at the lack of her target's any response towards her gestures but she was still persistent! More flirty smiles and attempts at eye contact, it kinda seemed too eager...desperate, something like that. Eventually the mayor with a goblet of wine in hand and a relaxed smile approached the posse and raised his goblet in cheers.

"Salutations, hope you are enjoying yourselves so far, heard about your feats earlier, cheers to that boys," His nose was looking a little red as he took another sip of wine.

Smileybastard
2015-05-29, 06:38 PM
Azeron

Azeron is not sure what the appropriate response would be, or what Shel is looking for. He matches her eyes and smiles in return, but he feels like something is not right. He raises a goblet to her.