PDA

View Full Version : Targeted aoe

Lord Garland
2015-02-11, 03:41 AM
So there's this character I'm building that is an eldritch theurge with warlock and warmage roots and I've been pretty happy with a combo I developed that involves the whirling blade spell, spell blast ability and a spell storing weapon. Now comes the problem;
A spell storing weapon only stores 1st to 3rd level TARGETED spells inside it and I really would love to put an AOE spell inside it to help with the combo (that was conceived to destroy lots of minions instead of take out a BBEG). So far the only spell I ever found that is targeted and is also AOE is Ice Knife (complete arcane and yes, I know that it is only AoE if miss the target and techinicaly you cant miss and activate a spell inside a spell storing weapon, but my DM allows me to use the secondary effect of the spell even with a hit). Ice Knife is nice and all, but the damage is getting lame pretty quick (even against minions) and my build does not suport getting tons of metamagics for solving it (I got a maximize and that is it). What my build does have space for is another spell. So, anyone knows any other spell that does AOE damage but needs to be targeted at an individual enemy? There's a manouver from ToB that does something in the line of "the target takes damage and then burst into flames dealing damage to everyone around him". Things like that are also nice for me, as long as they fit inside a spell storing weapon. Thanks ins advance.

Darrin
2015-02-11, 10:59 AM
Attach a Glyph Seal (1000 GP, MIC) to your weapon. Cast an AoE spell into it, and key the trigger to something like "any creature who touches this weapon that isn't me". You don't even have to spend an action to trigger the spell, it goes off automatically when you successfully hit another creature.

Lord Garland
2015-02-11, 12:13 PM
"The seal can adhere to any nonmagical, nonliving object." This removes the magic sword of the equation. It is a nice idea though, If no spell fitting my needs shows up, I'll try to roll with it.

Rubik
2015-02-11, 12:18 PM
Dispel the magic weapon, attach the glyph seal, then allow the Dispel to expire.

Surpriser
2015-02-11, 01:01 PM
Alternatively, attach the Glyph Seal to a nonmagical iron ring/plate/sphere/whatever pleases you aesthetically and attach that to your sword using conventional means.

Rubik
2015-02-11, 01:04 PM
Use some sovereign glue to attach a nonmagical gem or a copper piece to the pommel, then attach the glyph seal to it?

torrasque666
2015-02-11, 01:05 PM
Dispel the magic weapon, attach the glyph seal, then allow the Dispel to expire.
wouldn't that just cause it to flake off once the magic is back though? It can no longer adhere to the weapon.

Rubik
2015-02-11, 01:08 PM
wouldn't that just cause it to flake off once the magic is back though? It can no longer adhere to the weapon.Don't say anything, and maybe your DM won't notice.

Lord Garland
2015-02-11, 01:23 PM
Hehe, by the sheer amount of people going for the glyph option I guess there's no spell that fit my needs without it. Probably I'll go with a masterwork sword only with the glyph on it then and sell the spell storing i have now. Any other idea?

Rubik
2015-02-11, 01:31 PM
Apply Chain Spell along with some metamagic cost reducers?

Lord Garland
2015-02-11, 02:01 PM
Apply Chain Spell along with some metamagic cost reducers?

As I said, no space for metamagics in the build and Im running pretty low on money for metamagic rods (as we speak I still owe 2000 gold from the party cleric). The glyph is an option only because i have a +1 spell storing sword for selling.

Darrin
2015-02-11, 02:48 PM
"The seal can adhere to any nonmagical, nonliving object." This removes the magic sword of the equation. It is a nice idea though, If no spell fitting my needs shows up, I'll try to roll with it.

Put your enchantments on a Dragonshard Pommel Stone (Forge of War p. 121), and attach that after you set up the Glyph Seal.

Surpriser
2015-02-11, 02:48 PM
While I do not have an answer to your original question, a few things to consider:

Spell Blast does not work in combination with a weapon attack, these are completely different things. So unless you mentioned Spell Blast only to give an example of an ability to activate an AoE spell on a hit, I cant see the connection between this and the Spell Storing/Whirling Blade combo.

Spell Storing only works on the first target hit, so the combination with Whirling Blade will not allow you to affect multiple enemies with the same spell.

Lord Garland
2015-02-11, 05:31 PM
spell blast allows you to put any AOE spell inside an eldritch blast in place of an essence invocation. Whirling blade is an AOE spell, thus it's viable to put it on spell blast. The fact that the spell itself deals damage by attack roll instead of, lets say, our good ol' fireball comes in the equation on a later time to be of any matter regarding the spell blast ability.

Surpriser
2015-02-11, 06:15 PM
Ah, now I see the point.
However, this requires an extremely generous interpretation of both Spell Blast and the Whirling Blade spell and is definitely not RAI (and RAW is questionable). WB still requires you to throw a slashing weapon that makes the attacks and Eldritch Blast is no such thing.

In any case, the effect of Spell Storing works only against the first attack, as the spell is discharged on a hit.

If you intentionally use things not meant to work together, don't expect to find spells supporting this :smallwink:

Lord Garland
2015-02-11, 06:47 PM
i know the spell only hit the first target, that's why im looking for a spell that is targeted (you need to aim to somone you dont like) but may have a secondary effect or something that hits people around him. Forget all the thing about the WB and spell blast, I just put them for explanation to where the combo is going (and thinking about the somatic and focus component of the spell, in this and some other particular cases, leads only to madness when entering in the field of multicasting).
SO, for the sake of simplicity, targeted spell, 1st to 3rd circle, that deals some sort of damage (or usefull debuff) in area around the main target. That is what I'm looking for. Such thing exists?