PDA

View Full Version : Ki Feats in PHBII

Daracaex
2007-04-06, 12:07 AM
There are two feats the the Players Handbook II for the monk, Firey Ki Defence and Ki Strike I believe, that say, "This feat can be chosen as the monk's bonus feat at level 8. All other prerequisites can be ignored." Ki Strike has the addition of at least a +6 BAB before taking it as a bonus feat. The problem is, last time I checked, I saw a bonus feat listed at level 6, but not level 8. Is this just a typo? Or are you supposed to forgo your lv.6 bonus feat in order to pick one of these up for free at lv.8? The book says nothing on the matter.

Draz74
2007-04-06, 12:16 AM
I think there was errata about this.

Suzaku
2007-04-06, 12:18 AM
I think there was errata about this.
There is no PHBII Errata.

Lord Tataraus
2007-04-06, 12:27 AM
I'm pretty sure its a typo, my group always says you can take it as your level 6 bonus feat.

Matthew
2007-04-08, 05:54 PM
Yeah, this is often noted. It is usually thought to be a mistake. I don't think Ki Strike is what you are thinking of, however.

Assassinfox
2007-04-08, 06:03 PM
There is no PHBII Errata.

Isn't that because WotC is saving all the errata to sell in Rules Compendium?

the_tick_rules
2007-04-08, 06:41 PM
ah i'll have to check my phb II. Though improved trip is cool.

DraPrime
2007-04-08, 08:34 PM
I thought it was weird too. I think it's a typo so make it the lvl 6 bonus feat.

Daracaex
2007-04-08, 10:35 PM
I checked my book again. It's Ki Blast. Close enough. So both feats have the same typo? I would have written it off as one had just one had it, but there being two makes me wonder...

Matthew
2007-04-08, 10:49 PM
Okay, Fiery Fist and Fiery Ki Defence are supposed to be linked. Ordinarily, they have a prerequisite BAB 8 (I think). Fiery Fist is clearly available as a Monk Bonus Feat at Level 2 and the typo that makes Fiery Ki Defence a Monk Bonus Feat at Level 8 (erroneously) has Fiery Fist as a prerequisite. More than likely, this was intended to be available at Level 6. Ki Blast could only be taken at Monk 6 if the build was Fighter 2 (or equivalent) / Monk 6, as the Character needs to have BAB 6.

I suspect that on the whole this is a mistake that combines elements of the wording of Water Splitting Stone and Fiery Ki Defence. Probably, it was intended that Ki Blast could be taken by a Monk with BAB 6, but in order to enforce that they made it available via Monk Bonus Feat. The only way I can see to 'most legally' do it is as described above, but I would probably allow a Monk 9 to take it, as well.

Lolth
2007-04-09, 12:26 AM
Possibly the Feats were just written by the same person, who therefore made the same typo?