PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Mage Build Challenge

Lerondiel
2015-02-11, 05:12 AM
I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on the most effective melee wizard build...without dropping more than two caster levels over 20 levels

- human
- good aligned
- Forgotten Realms
- published 3.5 books only, no UA

Greenish
2015-02-11, 05:26 AM
Wizard 5/ Eldritch Knight 3/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight +7.

Take Militia (PGtF) on first level to qualify for EK.

Lerondiel
2015-02-11, 05:52 AM

Thanks, that's exactly where I was up to...I'm not too familiar with the FR books so was wondering if I was missing something :)

defiantdan
2015-02-11, 07:28 AM
Wizard (domain:trans/fighter feats) 5/Incantatrix 3/Mindbender 1/Initiate of the seven veiledfold 7/Archemage 3

Use a Minotaur Greathammer. Pick up the Hero Domain from a feat. buy iron Will. Extend and persistant spell are the only metamagic you need. Spells:Greater Mighty Wallop/polymorph(or better)/Divine Power/Righteous Might/Giant Size/some defensive spells maybe?

Tada. you know smash the hardest of faces. throw the last level in commoner because who cares at that point.

Darrin
2015-02-11, 11:22 AM

Neraph (Planar Handbook) or Savage Progression Tiefling/Aasimar (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) can skip the Militia feat, as the outsider type grants proficiency with all martial weapons.

I thought the typical Gish build looked something like:

Fighter 1/Wizard 6/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 7

Spell progression is a little slower, but not quite so fragile at the lower levels.

Lerondiel
2015-02-14, 01:55 AM
Neraph (Planar Handbook) or Savage Progression Tiefling/Aasimar (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) can skip the Militia feat, as the outsider type grants proficiency with all martial weapons.

I thought the typical Gish build looked something like:

Fighter 1/Wizard 6/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 7

Spell progression is a little slower, but not quite so fragile at the lower levels.

Yeah, That looks a winner to me...DM's seen the 3.5 update of the Militia feat is regional and my character doesnt qualify....even if that had been accepted...this build does drop the caster level like you mentioned but also gains a feat instead of losing one.

Andezzar
2015-02-14, 03:55 AM
If you are not set on human you could also take an elf with the otherwordly feat and Elven Generalist Wizardry. It's (almost) like specialization but without the banned schools.

If you have 5 levels of wizard, Spontaneous Divination probably is more interesting than a bonus feat.

Are regional feats generally prohibited or are you simply forced to come from a certain region? If it is the latter where does your character come from?

Lerondiel
2015-02-14, 09:29 AM
If you are not set on human you could also take an elf with the otherwordly feat and Elven Generalist Wizardry. It's (almost) like specialization but without the banned schools.

If you have 5 levels of wizard, Spontaneous Divination probably is more interesting than a bonus feat.

Are regional feats generally prohibited or are you simply forced to come from a certain region? If it is the latter where does your character come from?

We're all Halruaan....the DM suggested the Halruaan Elder PrCl until I pointed out how many ways it can be broken...now for the first time I'm trying to keep a wizard on the front line without sacrificing too many CL (otherwise I'd just make a master transmogrifist)

Edit:

Warblade1/Wizard5/JadePhoenixMage10/AbChamp4 was my other thought...loses 3 caster levels and BAB though, but the class features are tempting

Andezzar
2015-02-14, 10:40 AM
9th level spells and 8th level maneuvers is always nice.

The savage progressions Tiefling/Aasimar is sneaky, if you never take the level. With that (or with the regular Tiefling if you don't start at level 1 and get the LA Buy Off) you could make a Gish without levels in martial classes or feat investments: Wizard 5/Eldritch knight 10/Abjurant Champion 5 (not in that order) for BAB 17, CL 19 (20 with Practiced spellcaster)

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-14, 11:39 AM
Wizard 5/Rainbow Servant 10/Sacred Exorcist 5

Persist all the cleric and wizard buffs you want to kick some arse.

nedz
2015-02-14, 04:39 PM
Warblade 1 / Wizard 5 / Swiftblade 3 / JPM 10 / AC 1

Seerow
2015-02-14, 05:13 PM
Wizard (domain:trans/fighter feats) 5/Incantatrix 3/Mindbender 1/Initiate of the seven veiledfold 7/Archemage 3

Use a Minotaur Greathammer. Pick up the Hero Domain from a feat. buy iron Will. Extend and persistant spell are the only metamagic you need. Spells:Greater Mighty Wallop/polymorph(or better)/Divine Power/Righteous Might/Giant Size/some defensive spells maybe?

Tada. you know smash the hardest of faces. throw the last level in commoner because who cares at that point.

How are you getting Giant Size? That's a Wu Jen spell, and nothing you have listed gets access to it as far as I can tell.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-02-14, 05:20 PM
How are you getting Giant Size? That's a Wu Jen spell, and nothing you have listed gets access to it as far as I can tell.

Hero domain from OA has Giant Size, Divine Power, and Righteous Might on it. Just pick up Arcane Disciple.

I'd vote for Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5. With a few tricks, you could swap 3 wizard levels for 3 in Ruathar for slightly better saves.

sideswipe
2015-02-14, 08:40 PM
you could also be an elf, they have martial proficiencies.

Lerondiel
2015-02-15, 02:30 AM
Thanks everyone,

We've slaughtered each other as rotating DMs with campaign-breaking cheese for that many years we have a pretty big list of banned spells/feats/acf/classes so your different perspectives have been great.