View Full Version : DM Help Is this an appropriate encounter for 4 3rd level players?

supergoji18
2015-02-11, 06:58 AM
I'm creating an adventure in which the party members discover a tomb filled with undead. Here is what they are going to have to fight:
- 24 Skeletons (not all at once, in groups of 3)
- 5 Spectors
- 1 Wraith (seperate from the Spectors)

I'm know a wraith is too much, so I have decided to provide them some help:
- 5 Zombies in a previous room can be raised and commanded (did some tests for battle, and the Zombies did fairly well against the Wraith).
- A wizard gives the two flares which provide light as if it were direct sunlight. They are single use and last for 1 minute (10 turns). This will give the wraith disadvantage on attack rolls.

Is there anything here that is too much for a party of 3rd level to handle? Should I provide any other nerfs on the Wraith?

Demonic Spoon
2015-02-11, 09:54 AM
Are those specters going to be fought all at once? Because if so, that's a deadly encounter for level 3 characters.

supergoji18
2015-02-11, 10:27 AM
Are those specters going to be fought all at once? Because if so, that's a deadly encounter for level 3 characters.

In that case no, I was going to have two at a time (and the odd one out will just be by itself).

Also, when the zombies die they won't be raised as specters for the sake of making the encounter easier. I'm justifying it by saying the 5 specters from before were the souls of the zombies (and you can't exactly have two souls can you?)

Daishain
2015-02-11, 10:32 AM
Giving the opportunity for some undead help is all well and good, and I assume the party is capable of doing it. But will they think to try?

Callin
2015-02-11, 12:32 PM
Question

How are the Zombies being raised and commanded?

supergoji18
2015-02-11, 01:45 PM
Giving the opportunity for some undead help is all well and good, and I assume the party is capable of doing it. But will they think to try?

Question

How are the Zombies being raised and commanded?

In a prior encounter they will find a key to the tomb containing all of these undead. The Key is a small spherical stone that is used in many other areas to activate things (opening the door, unlocking some tombs, etc.).

The zombies will be inactive in their own room, and nearby there will be a node where they can place the stone (I will dictate that the stone looks like it would fit). Putting the stone in the node will activate the zombies and put them under the command of the PC who activated them.

Callin
2015-02-11, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a good plan

Asuryan9
2015-02-11, 02:09 PM
As a player I'd find it easier to believe we have some sort of power over some sort of golem than the undead. Even if you scaled the golems to stats like zombies, just an esthetic thing to me that is more believable. But overall sounds like a kool Idea.

supergoji18
2015-02-11, 09:47 PM
As a player I'd find it easier to believe we have some sort of power over some sort of golem than the undead. Even if you scaled the golems to stats like zombies, just an esthetic thing to me that is more believable. But overall sounds like a kool Idea.

The main reason I wanted to use zombies is because it fit with the undead theme, but I may consider your advice.