PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk in 3.5

atemu1234
2015-02-11, 04:34 PM
Continuation of thread here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?203006-Steampunk-in-D-amp-D-3-5)

Bullet06320
2015-02-12, 02:51 AM
Legends & Lairs has Sorcery and Steam
by Fantasy Flight Games

Solaris
2015-02-12, 10:35 AM
What about some homebrew material put together by Playgrounders?
I admit, I'm cheap; I don't wanna buy another splatbook if I don't have to.

VariSami
2015-02-12, 12:23 PM
Well, I mostly second the idea of Iron Kingdoms D20 but... As someone in the thread mentioned, the crunch is relatively badly done. It's not simply about the Pain of Healing and such, either. Instead, I would like to point out how clunky the mechanics for anything steam- or punk-related are, mostly involving multiple types of specialized craft checks and dead feats. They also have trenchcoats... Which are simply awesome but also allow making a character with a chain shirt and dastanas (Arms & Equipment Guide) and a trenchcoat have +7 non-magical armor bonus to AC with light armor and DR to boot. Both Monsternomicons are great, however.

I saw no mentions of DragonMech for the most part. This system is, if possible, even clunkier but has rules for humongous Mechs. I particularly like the idea of Mech Cities. There are also a few good ideas which would work for NPCs in particular, such as having people graft steam engines into themselves.

Chaositech was mentioned and I own the book but I have never found it to be particularly steampunk~ish. Even when re-fluffed, most of the contents are slightly too alien to be considered steampunk.

Some Eberron ideas allow for refluffing from Magitech towards a more steampunk~ish feel. However, I feel the most content with a combination of magitech and steampunk in any case because removing magic from D&D is almost always a doomed attempt.