PDA

View Full Version : Player Help what to use with Divine metamagic

Rainbaw
2015-02-11, 08:25 PM
Hi! i'm playing a Dungeon Crawl as a lvl 3 cleric. (lesser aasimar) And i just hit level 3 last session. The DM said i could change my lvl 1 feat (extend spell) for any metamagic feat i want as long as i fill the requirements... Thing is, for clerics i have zero exeperience, so i don't really know what kind of feat would benefit me more than extended duration on spells...
Any suggestions? plese i'd need hte book of reference to check it myself and send to the DM, we have acces to almsot any book as long as its not too obscure (no dragon magazines tho)

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-11, 09:11 PM
Despite the title, you didn't mention the Divine Metamagic feat (Complete Divine), which allows you to spend daily uses of turn undead to use a metamagic feat without the usual caster level slots. It's a really amazing feat with lots of potential.

Flickerdart
2015-02-11, 09:17 PM
Extend is a prerequisite for Persist, which is the real crown jewel of Divine Metamagic. Normally, Persist is just too expensive (a +6 modifier means that even when you hit 9th level spells, you can only persist janky 3rd level ones) but Divine Metamagic lets you ignore that limit and make it actually useful.

If you do decide to change it, it depends on the kind of cleric you are. If you prefer offensive spells, Heighten is a good choice since Heightening a spell increases the DC. Quicken and Twin re both +4s and also very expensive and powerful, but you likely don't have so many turning attempts. Chain Spell is very useful for buffs, especially hours/level buffs like Greater Magic Weapon.

Rainbaw
2015-02-11, 09:32 PM
Extend is a prerequisite for Persist, which is the real crown jewel of Divine Metamagic. Normally, Persist is just too expensive (a +6 modifier means that even when you hit 9th level spells, you can only persist janky 3rd level ones) but Divine Metamagic lets you ignore that limit and make it actually useful.

If you do decide to change it, it depends on the kind of cleric you are. If you prefer offensive spells, Heighten is a good choice since Heightening a spell increases the DC. Quicken and Twin re both +4s and also very expensive and powerful, but you likely don't have so many turning attempts. Chain Spell is very useful for buffs, especially hours/level buffs like Greater Magic Weapon.

For what i've seen ont his cmapaing i doubt i'm going to reach a high leve withouth dying... so i'd prefer to put the feats to use now, i don't have anotehr metamagic feat to take chain spell, and it does not affect touch spells. but i coudl ask DM to allow me to use it anyways, if it's worth using, half of the cleric spells seem to be touch range...

Invader
2015-02-11, 09:40 PM
For a cleric to get the best use out of metamagic feats you really need two.
1. Is Divine Metamagic, this allows you to use your turn/rebuke attempts to fuel the cost of metamagic feats

2. Is the actual metamagic feat. Most people use quicken or persist.

Persist allows you to make buff spells like owls wisdom for example last 24 hours instead of the listed duration. To use persisted spells you first need to take Extend spell as the prereq for persist soell so it will cost you three feats to start. That being said you also need to increase your total turn/rebuke attempts which can be explained if you're interested in goung that route but it requires pretty specific builds to be sucessful so you'd privabky have to change all your feats and domains.