PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Familiar Souljack (3.5 PrC, needs a better name, become your familiar)

Zaydos
2015-02-12, 01:36 AM
Familiar Souljack

”I didn’t want to be a damnable bird! It just sort of happened.”

BECOMING A FAMILIAR SOULJACK
To become a familiar souljack is simple. You die. You have a familiar when you do of course. On occasion when a mage has a familiar and they die they find their consciousness awakening in the form of their familiar. It is altered, a piece of the familiar still residing within, merging with their re-awakened soul. Some mages, primarily necromancers, fearing death have performed special rituals to ensure that this will happen, but in the case of others it is simply a thing which occurs.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Special: You must have the ability to summon a familiar and it must have the ability to Speak with Master.
Special: You must die and be survived by your familiar; taking Level 0 in this a day after death (this does not increase your character level) and requiring that your next level be taking Lv 1 in Familiar Souljack.
Special: May not have an improved familiar.
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
In addition any skill which your familiar granted a bonus to is a class skill for your Familiar Souljack levels.
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + int

Hit Dice: d4

LevelBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSpecialSpellcasting
+0
+0
+0
+0Familiar Body-
1st
+0
+0
+0
+2Familiar Armor, Eschew Materials, Evasion, Improved Familiar Benefits-
2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3Speak with Kind, Familiar Intelligence+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3Spell Resistance, Familiar’s Familiar or Awakened Familiar+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Level 0: A character may become a familiar souljack before gaining the XP required for a new level, by dying and souljacking their familiar. You do not gain hit dice or skills or character level for Level 0 in this class. Instead your soul and personality merges with your familiar creating a single gestalt entity as described in familiar body. You may no longer summon a familiar.

Familiar Body: You now possess your familiar’s body. You retain your mental abilities, and characteristics, losing any racial extraordinary abilities and replacing your physical ability scores with those of your familiar’s except for Constitution in which case you replace your racial modifier to constitution with your familiar’s. Your race changes to that of your familiar, though you may retain racial feats at DM’s discretion; you gain its speed, natural armor, natural weapons, etc. It loses all familiar benefits, but may speak any language you could speak in life. You may substitute bodily movements of your new body for somatic components, and your race changes to your familiar’s. You retain the bonus granted by familiar’s of your familiar’s type (+3 bluff for snake for example). If you die while possessing this ability and are revived you find yourself still in your familiar’s body (it is possible to retain levels in Familiar Souljack despite no longer meeting its prerequisites this way).

Familiar Armor (Ex): You gain the natural armor bonus which would be granted to your familiar.

Eschew Materials (Ex): You gain the ability to cast spells without material components, gaining the Eschew Materials feat as a bonus feat.

Evasion (Ex): While you do not gain the full ability to avoid damage shown by your familiar you do gain a portion of it, gaining Evasion as the rogue ability.

Improved Familiar Benefits: You add your full Familiar Spelljack level to your Sor/Wiz level for determining familiar benefits, or include every level even those which don’t grant spellcasting (if using Obtain Familiar). In addition whatever benefit was granted by a familiar of the type you now are is doubled for you.

Spellcasting: At every level except 0 and 1st a Familiar Souljack gains increased spellcasting as if they had gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class they previously possessed.

Speak with Kind (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, you may speak with animals of your kind, as the familiar ability speak with animals of its kind.

Familiar’s Intelligence: Beginning at 2nd level, if your familiar would have (had) higher Intelligence than yours you may use that Intelligence instead of your own.

Spell Resistance (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you gain the same spell resistance your familiar would have (had).

Familiar’s Familiar: Beginning at 3rd level you gain either Familiar’s Familiar or Awakened Familiar. If you select Familiar’s Familiar you gain the ability to call another familiar, treating yourself as 2 levels higher for a familiar that is the same kind as you. You do not gain doubled benefit from the special benefit this familiar grants. You may share spells with your familiar from a range of 30-ft, or 1 mile if it is the same kind as you; and may cast Touch range or any other spells on them from this range.

Awakened Familiar: Beginning at 3rd level you gain either Familiar’s Familiar or Awakened Familiar. If you select Awakened Familiar you gain the ability to act as a creature’s familiar. You must find a character capable of summoning a familiar willing to call you as their familiar. If they die you suffer 2 negative levels until they are revived or you find another master. You gain familiar benefits as if you were their familiar, using only the better Intelligence and Natural Armor. You do not gain Improved Evasion, but you do gain all other familiar benefits, and if they would grant you Spell Resistance you use their master level or your own +7 (instead of +5). Finally you may share spells you cast with your master, these follow the normal restrictions on Share Spells.

Zaydos
2015-02-12, 01:41 AM
And with this I finish my self-declared Wizard Week, or since there are only another 22.5 hours and I will be sleeping a good 10 of those, and I have no more ideas attempting to pour forth I suspect it finishes it.

That said I will be continuing to work on the materials made for it as long as their are critiques and things needing fixing. For example this PrC needs a better name. So any suggestions there would be appreciated.

For those of you who enjoyed Wizard Week, tune in during March for

March Martial Mayhem!*

Where I will be doing my best to fulfill your martial needs with:

Four “lost swords”, disciplines never taught at the temple of the nine swords, the Darting Viper, the Ghost Eater, the Red Chessboard, and the Jeering Monkey.
Simic Initiate (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=107441) base class; a warrior who improves their body through cytoplasmic grafts, and it’s sublime variant Simic Initiator.
Commander and Officer: sublime and non-sublime, respectively, marshal inspired classes.
Master of the True Edge: A prestige class where in a swordsman perfects the ability to cut through concepts and fundamental realities; slashing through the truth to render lies believable, cutting through lies to reveal the truth, and eventually cutting even time itself.
Warborn: A prestige class dedicated to a god of war and violence and becoming a living weapon with no remorse, pain, or weakness.
Wyldwood Knight Redux: Finally rebuilding my first Sublime Homebrew into something more satisfactory. Included: Full-fledged electricity and cold disciplines, and a rework of the Star Dream discipline.
Jack of Blades: A Tall Tale PrC which gets martial maneuvers and exaggerated disciplines.
Doom Blade: An evil only initiating base class which gets maneuvers from the Edge of the Apocalypse, Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, and a pair of new disciplines. Demon Rage and the truly magical Death Shadow.
And more!!!

*Disclaimer: Do not actually get your hopes up, there's fair chance that even if I am planning March Martial Mayhem that most or all of these things will not materialize.