PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Suggestions for a New Tank Character

NecessaryWeevil
2015-02-12, 02:14 AM
So my Knight Templar (Crusader / Ruby Knight Vindicator refluffed) fell tonight in heroic combat against Lady Vol herself, meaning that I'm probably in need of a new character.

The rest of the party are a scholarly werewolf monk (also not a bad off-tank, and often the party face), a rogue, and a Knight Phantom. They're all capable in melee, but I was consciously building a tank who could take heavy hits, restrict enemy movement with lots of AoOs, and provide some party buffs.

I'm thinking they still need someone to occupy the enemy while they pound on it, but I don't want a carbon copy of my previous character. Are there some other ways I can go about this? I'm contemplating maybe a summoner (want to be careful not to crowd the Knight Phantom's arcane caster space) or...maybe a druid or something? I've been contemplating a barbarian but the other three definitely have DPS and skillmonkey roles covered.

Thanks for your insights!

PS My dead character was level 15 so I expect I'll be starting in that ballpark.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-12, 02:33 AM
Wheels offer the best movement speed, but whatever you're trying to contain might feel more comfortable with multiple legs. Whatever you want in your tank has to be complemented by its natural environment. For a snake you probably want a small pool and a tree or tree branch in there. Probably small patches of grass the same color as the snake. For a fish you'll want lots of water and some rocks. Maybe a little castle in there somewhere where the fish can hide. Some lizards or arachnids like sand to hide in.

For walls you want something transparent. I hear good things about elven glass, but any masterwork glass will do.

If you can get telekinesis somehow you can attach a cabinet next to your tank where you can store all your food. Otherwise someone else will have to feed your pet for you.

torrasque666
2015-02-12, 03:07 AM
Ha, nice one there.

Demidos
2015-02-12, 03:45 AM
Depending on how complicated a character you want/need to feel interested/involved, you could play a lockdown build with a spiked chain and the various methods of enhancing reach (with 5 feats and a spiked chain you've got yourself a 40 foot reach, and theres other easy ways to boost reach as well).

Alternately, A druid or arcane caster focused on crowdcontrol or debuffs (e.g. kelpstrand, wall of sand, wall of stone, wall of force, etc etc etc) could be an interesting addition to your group. And of course a DMM cleric is always strong, and fairly flexibile in power level -- if your character is too powerful, take AOE buffs. If too weak, take personal ones. That last one might be a bit too close to your crusader though.

If you want something between the extremes of full BFC caster and the narrowly focused lockdown fighter, if your group uses LA buyoff, i've found the Phrenic/Half-fey templates (with the magic in the blood feat) adds a good amount of utility to an otherwise focused character. It will make you slightly MAD if you want high DC, but a lockdown paladin with a huge chain and mental powers would be pretty sweet.

If you use partial gestalt rules, you probably want a mix of feat-rogue or fighter, knight//paladin.

Not the strongest build ever, but pretty nifty, and sounds pretty fun.

DMVerdandi
2015-02-12, 07:32 AM
Definitely on board with the druid suggestion. Maybe play a half orc druid, or some other "strongman" race.
As you already know, druids get really cool spells, know them all, and can swap them, just like cleric. Plus the animal buddy and wild shape (which those two can be swapped and traded in for other stuff.)

If wild shape isn't your thing, trade it. If anything outside of the druid spells isn't your thing, trade it. The spells are solid, regardless, so it really has a lot of versatility if you want to not be "the beast master".
However, as you already know now, plain druid is strongest, so if that is a factor, get natural spell, possibly augment summoning, and then just let it naturally do it's thing.

An interesting build would be to take the otherworldly feat. Stock up on axes. Play lumberjack spirit. Grow beard, chop trees, have a wild soul that is what caused you to become a druid naturally. Take perform(sing), and be a folk singer around the party campfire, but not at a bard level. Just good. Not "magical".

The real magic is when someone says a burly man like you is a bear, and then you laugh and transform into a grizzly wearing a skull cap and flannel.

Demidos
2015-02-12, 01:01 PM
...name yourself Tom Bombadil? :smalltongue:

NecessaryWeevil
2015-02-12, 02:27 PM
The real magic is when someone says a burly man like you is a bear, and then you laugh and transform into a grizzly wearing a skull cap and flannel.

Well, as a Canadian, this does have a certain appeal.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-12, 09:40 PM
I recommend a Buff and Snuff Wilder. Power you're self up with Vigor, inertia armor and defensive precognition and then beat the crap out of people with a great sword, or use solicit psicrystal+telekinetic maneuver+twin spell+schism to grapple all the bad guys on the battlefield at once from range. That ought to prevent some attacks on your friends.

See if your DM will allow abjuring champion to be adapted for psionics.

Darrin
2015-02-12, 10:13 PM
How about: Warforged Druid with that Cityshape ACF. Turn into an actual tank. Takes 15 levels, but the best part: you get to say, "Autobots, roll out!"