PDA

View Full Version : So, I want to go into orbit...

makzu
2007-04-06, 02:17 AM
So, yeah. As the title says, I want to get my character into space. Somehow.

Why? Well, here's some backstory. I'm still a relatively new player, and I've never touched Eberron before. When I read the description of the Warforged, I thought it was really cool. When I read that they didn't need to breathe, I commented offhand, "Well cool, I'll be able to go into space."

After a short conversation on -how- exactly one would make it to space, my DM figured out the DC to jump there. He came up with something around 1.4 million. Everyone chuckled a bit, and we moved on with the game. But that planted an idea in my head, and now I'm trying to investigate every possible way I could get my warforged into outer space.

Right now I think my best bet would be a seriously super epic climb check to climb the air itself, but I'll run out of climbable air before I get to space. And the duration on fly is too short to get all the way up there and back down safely.

So anyway, With jump and these others out of the question, what else are my options?

Starsinger
2007-04-06, 02:26 AM
Piss off an epic level wizard so he casts http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/nailedToTheSky.htm on you?

Fizban
2007-04-06, 02:29 AM
Get an infinite duration fly spell? Not all that hard, Wings of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#wingsofFlying), that's it.

I personally like the idea of a wish asking to succeed on my next skill check, but you don't have a DC for jump, you just make the check and go.

And of course there's the fact that you can teleport anywhere you can see (I don't need to study it, I'm looking right at it), so teleport straight up. Go outside at night, look at the moon, teleport without error. But then again, Ebberon seems to have a whole different plane for the sky and space, so you could probably just gate there.

Ulzgoroth
2007-04-06, 02:49 AM
By RAW, wings of flying might work. However, they're wings. You're planning to lift yourself into vacuum with an air-based lift system (and one that doesn't support upward speeds above 10 fps, yet)? I dunno...

How about a long series of Reverse Gravity spells? Shaped into a 5x5 column, it gives 80 feet of hight per caster level...but as described, you don't shoot out the top of the inverted gravity column at full falling speed, so probably not much use.

Back to fly, or overland flight possibly. What you need is a way to stop over in mid-air (or mid-vacuum) without losing ground. How about rope trick? Nothing I see prevents it from working in midair, and it has plenty of duration for you to rest up for the next day of flying.

Maybe with a good spyglass (or locational scry of some kind), a moon, and a Greater Teleport spell you could get out of your gravity well.

Fizban
2007-04-06, 03:04 AM
If his DM would allow a jump check to "get into space", I doubt he cares about gravity wells. Just because the wings of flying create wings doesn't mean you actually need them to fly, the text says "wings that empower her to fly". It's magic.

Besides, I don't think there's anything RAW about flying creatures needing air anyway, just empty space.

Grim Greyscale
2007-04-06, 03:33 AM
Distant Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#distantShot)+Fling Ally? You'd need to be small sized, though.

makzu
2007-04-06, 10:49 AM
I think the Wings of Flying may be my best bet, if the DM allows it. Although, he's already ruled that the Winged Cape warforged component doesn't necessarily have to be actual wings. They can even be rockets, he says - and "magic rockets" would let me go all the way to space and back safely. And we're going to Xen'drik in our current adventure, so I may luck out... but probably not.

Assassinfox
2007-04-06, 10:57 AM
http://www.spelljammer.org

Official 3.5 rules for Spelljammers, big magical spaceships. :smallsmile:

blackout
2007-04-06, 11:01 AM
Airtight and enclosed airship that's enchanted somehow to go beyond the atmosphere?

Telonius
2007-04-06, 11:20 AM
Teleport has a range of 100 miles per caster level. Destination: straight up. Hope you remembered your parachute! :smallbiggrin:

Maelstrom
2007-04-06, 11:34 AM
Be ready for the cold...and vacuum

JadedDM
2007-04-06, 03:31 PM
Spelljammer, spelljammer, spelljammer. C'mon, there's an entire setting dedicated to playing in outer space all ready made for you.

daggaz
2007-04-06, 04:19 PM
Space in the shadow is utterly cold. Space in the full glory of the sun is incredibly hot. You would need protection from elements as well. As for the vacuum effects, well... I hate killing too many catgirls, so as a DM I would probably let that part slide.

That said, once you got up there, what in the hell would you do? Not a lot.

Space is incredibly empty.

Jason Va hater
2007-04-06, 04:52 PM
well if you were just going in to orbit you could become the first weather satilite

if you were a monk you could be looking for the perfect place to meditate not many distraction in the void you could come back with a 97 WIS or completely insane

Ryshan Ynrith
2007-04-06, 05:50 PM
Well, seeing as you don't need air, and don't get tired...get a pair of Immovable Rods, and climb into the sky. They don't require atmosphere to work, and they require no real skill to use.

Also, they're relatively cheap. And they have many other uses. :smallsmile:

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-06, 05:56 PM
Well, seeing as you don't need air, and don't get tired...get a pair of Immovable Rods, and climb into the sky. They don't require atmosphere to work, and they require no real skill to use.

Also, they're relatively cheap. And they have many other uses. :smallsmile:

Very elegant solution.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-06, 06:05 PM
super teleport!

Dervag
2007-04-06, 06:06 PM
And of course there's the fact that you can teleport anywhere you can see (I don't need to study it, I'm looking right at it), so teleport straight up.That won't put you in orbit; you'd fall.

jlousivy
2007-04-06, 06:20 PM
i second the immovable rods. :-)

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-06, 06:21 PM
That won't put you in orbit; you'd fall.
Can you see the moon? If so you can teleport there.

JaronK
2007-04-06, 06:37 PM
Something to consider: while Eberron is more realistic than many fantasy settings, you're still in a fantasy world. Space may not be the same. The moon really could be made of cheese. Space might have breathable air, just like anywhere else. You might bump into the curtain of the stars, or get so high up you find the gate to heaven. Cayote might be busy hanging stars from his ladder and conscript you into helping. Zeus might get jealous of you being higher than a god and blow you out of the sky.

JaronK

Assassinfox
2007-04-06, 08:05 PM
Something to consider: while Eberron is more realistic than many fantasy settings, you're still in a fantasy world. Space may not be the same. The moon really could be made of cheese. Space might have breathable air, just like anywhere else. You might bump into the curtain of the stars, or get so high up you find the gate to heaven. Cayote might be busy hanging stars from his ladder and conscript you into helping. Zeus might get jealous of you being higher than a god and blow you out of the sky.

JaronK

Summary of Spelljammer...

Everything in space is surrounded by its own air pocket, which can last for a certain amount of time depending on the size of the object. A person floating in space can last a few hours, while a ship's air can last for days or weeks. Dunno about Eberron, but the Toril (Forgotten Realms), Oerth (Greyhawk), and Krynn (Dragonlance) are part of larger solar systems, encased by crystal spheres: Realmspace, Greyspace, and Krynnspace. The crystal spheres float in the Philostigon, which is breathable, but highly flammable and immune to all planar magic.

I think I resurrected a catgirl there... :smalltongue:

martyboy74
2007-04-06, 08:09 PM
Eberron is not invloved in Spelljammer, presumably because WotC didn't want everything getting screwed up in it.

The_Snark
2007-04-06, 08:12 PM

JaronK

You aren't going to find gods in Ebberon. On the other hand, I seem to remember that each moon of Ebberon corresponds with the planes; can't remember if the moons were actually coterminous, but if so it could be... bad. Several of Ebberon's outer planes are unpleasant, some are potentially lethal. Xoriat and Dal Quor are especially bad.

What about a bound elemental airship? You don't breathe, so there doesn't seem to be anything keeping you in the atmosphere, unless I missed something about how they work.

Eberron is not invloved in Spelljammer, presumably because WotC didn't want everything getting screwed up in it.

Ebberon is not involved in Spelljammer because Spelljammer has no official support past 2nd edition, so far as I know, and Ebberon's new. Of course, it works a bit differently, so if they ever bring Spelljammer back Ebberon might stay uninvolved.

Assassinfox
2007-04-06, 08:13 PM

Wizards isn't supporting the Spelljammer setting, along with a few other classics. Doesn't mean they think mixing it with Eberron is "screwing it up".

JadedDM
2007-04-06, 09:52 PM
The reason WotC dropped Spelljammer (and every other official setting except FR) was financial-based. It cost too much money to support so many settings at once.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-04-06, 09:55 PM
Distant Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#distantShot)+Fling Ally? You'd need to be small sized, though.
Or you could get a Hulking Hurler.

PaladinBoy
2007-04-06, 10:06 PM
Hmm. I'd go bound elemental airship. I check the rules pretty often (my character is an airship pilot, among other things) and I don't think there's anything which says they don't work in vacuum. You'd need a warforged crew, though. That or protection for a half-elf crew.

If the DM forbade that I'd go with the immovable rods.

If you actually get this to work, I would go to the Ring of Siberys. The expense of whichever method you use can probably be made up with the Siberys dragonshards the size of a building that you could probably find up there.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-06, 10:22 PM
@^
The DM gets mad when you do that though.

Variable Arcana
2007-04-07, 12:43 AM
mid-sized Carpet of Flying, 35,000 gp.
Necklace of Adaptation, 9,000 gp.
Ring of Sustenance, 2,500 gp.

Seeing the stars in style, Priceless.

makzu
2007-04-07, 12:41 PM
Immovable rods? That's my new favorite idea. At only 5000 gp each, I could possibly afford them at the end of our group's next adventure! (Or rather, I would if we didn't have to foot the bill for a true res for our fighter thanks to a death gaze attack)

CharPixie
2007-04-07, 01:05 PM
Plot. Investigate, in character, the possibility of going into space.

levi
2007-04-07, 08:17 PM
Spelljammer

As several posters have mentioned, Spelljammer is the way to go. The offical site, Beyond the Moons (http://www.spelljammer.org/), has loads of great stuff and a partially complete 3rd edition conversion. The haven't converted ship rules yet, but instead point to a number of offsite conversions. The one I recommend is the Shipyard (http://www.shatteredfractine.com/shipyard/) at Shattered Fractine (http://www.shatteredfractine.com/).

As for Ebberon not being part of Spelljammer, I disagree. In SJ, there's a basic assumption that any given campaign world is in a crystal sphere somewhere out in the flow. The only exception is Athas (the world of Dark Sun), because the designers explicitly say otherwise. (Note that the SJ players often disagree and info on Athaspace has been produced.) Now as Ebberon is post Spelljammer, the designers are silent on the matter and so one must assume the default of being part of the SJ universe. Of course, this only applies to a SJ game. In a non-SJ game, it dosn't apply.

I think Ebberspace (as I'm calling it) would make a great port of call for a Spelljammer. It's already got airship docking facilities, which is a helluva lot more than a lot of groundling dominated planets have to offer. Plus it has a reasonable high magic and technology level. All in all, a great place to make land while out in the flow. (Although, a rouge airship might attract unwanted attention from the Dragonmaked Houses, oooh, plot!)

My personal opinion is that Ebberspace isn't very close to the golden triangle or other well known spheres, but it is out there and will likely show up if I manage to start up a Spelljammer campaign.

Another advantage to Ebberon is that it's cosmology is easy to translate into a crystal sphere. Each of the outer planes is a planet or moon like entity anyway, so it works nicely.

Immoveable Rods

The immoveable rod trick is an oldie, but a goodie. There are several variations, but all you really need is two of them. One trick I thought of with them is to teleport straight up, and then hit the trigger as soon as you arrive. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Of course, a 50 charge command word ring of teleport costs 40,500 gp, so while faster, it's more expensive. If you could get less charges (you don't need all 50), it might work out. Charges cost 810 gp each.

Low earth orbit is defined as 200 to 2000 kilomers up. Therefore, you only need a single (900 mile) teleport charge to get you there and two will get you into medium earth orbit. How far out do you define as space?

RS14
2007-04-08, 08:59 AM
Need I remind you what NetHack does to players who teleport into space? :smallbiggrin:

To what level do you want to teleport? -10
You arrive in heaven. "Thou art early, but we'll admit thee."
Do you want your possessions identified?

Assassinfox
2007-04-08, 12:16 PM
Need I remind you what NetHack does to players who teleport into space? :smallbiggrin:

To what level do you want to teleport? -10
You arrive in heaven. "Thou art early, but we'll admit thee."
Do you want your possessions identified?

Better than teleporting to 0. :smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2007-04-09, 09:57 PM
Spelljammer *snip*
Cool post. Ebberspace is inspired. I have got to find me a Spelljammer...