PDA

View Full Version : Starting gold for nobles

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-12, 08:16 AM
How does being noble born affect your starting gold? You should be richer than the average adventurer, right?

Gorfnod
2015-02-12, 08:35 AM
If you are using Pathfinder traits then this fits the bill perfectly.

Rich Parents (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/traits/social-traits/rich-parents)

atemu1234
2015-02-12, 08:46 AM
If you are using Pathfinder traits then this fits the bill perfectly.

Rich Parents (https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/traits/social-traits/rich-parents)

I am fairly certain that I could make an affluenza joke.

the_david
2015-02-12, 08:53 AM
Aristocrats get 6d8x10 gp at level 1. That's an average of 270 gp, and higher than that of a fighter.

sideswipe
2015-02-12, 08:56 AM
mercantile background feat gives 300 gold at level 1 to spend. also you sell items at 75% price.

Afgncaap5
2015-02-12, 03:51 PM
For players wanting to play Aristocrats, I sort of assume that a lot of their wealth is actually tied up in land holdings, or if it's just a short term, fairy-tale style adventure, it's a case of them not being able to get ahold of a lot of it at once.

"Oh, so yer Prince Hastings of Fernaria, are yeh? Just great. No, I can't give you a discount for a national emergency, I just gave all the best stuff to Princess Malanor and Duke Charloran this mornin'. Best of luck, though."

Flickerdart
2015-02-12, 04:00 PM
How does being noble born affect your starting gold? You should be richer than the average adventurer, right?
Nobility has historically not had all that much liquid cash - upholding the expected lifestyle puts a crimp on savings, and one could never lower oneself to such a demeaning thing as a "job". Castles cost a lot (and cost a lot to upkeep), servants must be paid, family treasures and heirlooms are worth a lot but can't be sold, etc.

An adventurer's 100-200 starting gold is already quite a lot, when you consider that an average labourer earns 1sp per day, and the best mundane craftsmen generally earn about 30gp a week.

In general, letting PCs write benefits into their backstory sets a very dangerous precedent.