PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magus spell list change

Asteron
2015-02-12, 11:56 AM
I'm starting a PF campaign and a new player is going to play a Magus. I've always wanted to make the Magus spell list a fixed list caster that knows all the spells on their list and can cast them spontaneously, ala the Beguiler in 3.5. I want to parse the list to about 13-15 good spells for each spell level. What spells would you add or take away that would fit thematically with the Magus flavor?

This may be a horrible balance idea, but I want to make this simpler for the new player. Plus, I always liked the idea of the beguiler's spell casting being used for other fixed list casters.

Vhaidara
2015-02-12, 12:05 PM
Well, if you do this, I highly recommend modifying some spells. For example, Shocking Grasp becomes Elemental Grasp, and you choose your element at the time of casting.

That said, focus on touch attacks and melee buffs (Elemental Grasp, True Strike, Magic Weapon). Then look at some of the "This is just cool" spells (Bladed Dash and Greater version)

Snowbluff
2015-02-12, 12:07 PM
And snowball. Lot's an lot's of snowball.

stack
2015-02-12, 12:19 PM
Keep the variety though. Web, montrous physique, vanish, etc. Mostly trim stuff no one takes anyhow (Poisoned egg? Seriously?)

Grommen
2015-02-13, 01:56 AM
At 4th level they get Spell Recall, allowing you to recast spells you prepared. You have to pay for it out of the arcane pool.
At 11th level you can cast any spell out of your book by spending arcane pool.
And if I remember correctly there is a Magus Arcana ability that allows you to pull spells from the wizard/sorc list.

After a time they pretty much can spontaneously cast. No need to tinker.

Arc_knight25
2015-02-13, 08:47 AM
They can also use their arcana pool, to use Knowledge pool at level 7, which lets them Prep spells that would be on the Magus spell list at a cost of only 1 point per spell up to their Int mod. So it opens up their spell list without having to learn spells.

Fouredged Sword
2015-02-13, 11:51 AM
There is also an archetype that grants them spontaneous casting. Check it out.