PDA

View Full Version : [IC] The Purifiers (D&D 5e)

Troacctid
2015-02-12, 01:25 PM
Chapter 1: Bluebridge Forest

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/8c/HGSS_Viridian_Forest-Day.png

It's morning. You stand at the eastern edge of the forest. A road leads west; you know that it curves away from the center of the forest, taking the safer route. You won't be taking it today. Well, you could take it if you wanted, but you'd still have to cut through the actual brush eventually. Anyway, the point is, you're going into the woods.

The trees here are relatively spread out, and the ground is mostly clear of brush. There's a nice woodsy smell in the air, and you can hear birds chirping. It's rather a lovely morning, actually.

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 02:11 PM
Zimdyr stands with his eyes closed, listening to the birds and smelling the fresh air reminiscing of his years as a hermit before he joined the purifiers. "Ah what a beautiful day the great old one blessed us with, this is a good omen for our journey my fellow companions" he says with a joyful smirk.

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 02:34 PM
Leora looks over towards her Half-Elven compatriot and raises a single eyebrow. "Indeed, this forest appears rich and lively. We best be on the lookout if we are to believe that corrupted incarnum is near."

(In Leora's mind, in Celestial)

*Does anything seem off to you about that Half-elf?*

*Not really. I mean, he seems to have some obsessive fascination with this Great Old One of his. He wouldn't shut up about him on the walk here. Great Old One this...Great Old One that. But whatever, he seems to be trustworthy*

*Hmmm...Perhaps.*

"Well, I'm ready. Shall we head straight towards the heart of the forest then?"

Leora peers casually into the forest, checking to see if there are any apparent dangers ahead of them.
([roll0] Perception check if required to spot/hear anything)

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 02:43 PM
Zimdyrs joyous attitude goes to a calm seriousness "Im ready, time to rid this beautiful land of its cancer"

FatesServant
2015-02-12, 03:10 PM
"Rich and Lively ye say? That they certainly are. Or a'least, they were.But the corruption is swift and cruel in its expansion. I've heard my father Byor tell of corrupted forests before, an never has it been a pleasant tale. Trolls with trees for clubs, rats with teeth the size of your arm" he says, glancing towards Leora.

Gafgarn slumps his backpack to the ground, checking it to make sure he brought his "special" length of rope (the Rope of Climbing).
"Moradin, guide my path and ever keep my feet on the ground." He lets out a slight sigh and mutters under his breath "and when that's not possible, at least I've got this" as he clutches the rope of climbing. He places the rope back into his pack, more confident knowing he has some means to deal with the very real possibility that he may have to climb further towards the sky than he likes to think about.

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 03:22 PM
Zimdyr begins to fiddle with his quarterstaff, throwing it over his head and behind his back. "Aaaahh much better, one must be limber enough when entering the fray. There was a time during my travels when I was being chased by monkeys, unfortunately I had not warmed up and they caught up to me! luckily it was in the great old ones plan for me not to die hahaha"

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 03:22 PM
"So I have heard, sir dwarf. Though I can not claim to have seen the effects of the corruption first hand, I have heard many a tale of the corruption's terrible consequences"

*Yeah, and most of those tales came from that dwarfs mouth.*

*Hahaha...well, to be fair he doesn't exactly have a bright history with the stuff*

*So are these two going to both be constantly yammering on about the same things over and over? The one with his Great Aging One or whatever? And the other with his grandious, and let's just say quite obviously embellished, stories of heroism and the evils of corrupted incarnum?*

*Probably...why?*

*No reason. Just wanted to know. So that I could prepare mentally.*

*You mean so that I could prepare mentally?*

*You think you're hilarious don't you?*

*I have my moments*

*Wait...did the half elf just say something about being chased by monkeys?*

*I don't know...I think you may have misheard him*

FatesServant
2015-02-12, 03:33 PM
Gafgarn grins at imagining Zimdyr's tale. *Well, that settles that*, he thinks to himself. "I will leave the business of being limber to you then my new friend."

Seeing out of the corner of his eye that Leora appears to be smirking to herself as if someone just told an entertaining joke, Gafgarn thinks to himself *Hm, I wonder if she will keep zoning out like that as she has been. Guess it doesn't matter so long as she stays on task. I am starting to wonder what goes on inside that head of hers though. Hope she isn't coming down with an illness. I can heal a cut, but I'm no more efficient at beating the common cold than anyone else*

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 03:40 PM
Zimdyr stares at Gafgarn and Leora and thinks **what interesting companions, will they always be deep in thought like this? are they planning some form of strategy? if only I had listened to my mother and payed attention during the old one sacrificial rituals...so many goats**. Zimdyrs face frowns "so uh yeah incarnum, there are times when I meditate I can feel the dark force of the incarnum..its not good"

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 03:50 PM
"What do you mean? You can feel the pull of incarnum as you meditate? No wonder you were picked for this job", Leora asks Zimdyr.

*I'm not sure I belong here...*

*Bull****, you belong here just as much as anyone else.*

*But, the dwarf is on some sort of revenge quest against the corrupted incarnum, and the half elf is able to sense nearby incarnum*

*Or so he says...*

*Sure, sure. But my reasons for being here aren't as heroic as theirs.*

*...*

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 04:02 PM
"Yes, during my hermitude I was able to learn meditation techniques to do so. You'll learn a lot on the path of enlightenment! yet I still have a long journey ahead of me before I am worthy of the Great Old One!" Zimdyr sits on the ground and starts to polish his quarterstaff "what is it that brought you two on this journey to join the purifiers?"

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 04:10 PM
"There are things I've done in the past that I must atone for. Perhaps purifying corrupted incarnum will set my mind at ease"

FatesServant
2015-02-12, 04:13 PM
"Family died to an incarnum blight." Gafgarn states tersely."Member of tha organization took me in. Family and The Great Forge Master Moradin both point me towards this life. that's all the reason I need" Gafgarn says as he strokes his beard, sliding one of its ring accessories back into place and tightening the braid to secure it.

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 09:33 PM
Zimdyr stops polishing his quarterstaff and stares Gafgarn straight in the eyes "Gafgarn, glad to have you by my side, and Leora the path to righteousness is the path of enlightenment! glad to have you by our side as well" he says with enthusiasm. Zimdyr stands up and brushes off his cloak and once again listens to the birds.

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 09:44 PM
*He...He actually seems to mean it*

*It would appear so*

Leora looks in Zimdyr's direction and gives a wide smile. "I'm glad to hear it. I feel the same way...having warriors as capable as yourself by my side puts my mind at ease concerning what is likely to come within that forest." Leora raises a hand and points towards the forest.

*Puts your mind at ease?*

*It's just an expression*

*Well, regardless...I am starting to warm up to this Half Elf.*

Unless Leora spotted something with her earlier Perception check...she will likely start heading towards the forest. I assume everyone would follow, unless they state otherwise.

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 09:52 PM
Zimdyr see's Leora walking towards the forrest, he places his staff on his shoulder and walks with her.

"and so it begins" he chuckles.

Troacctid
2015-02-12, 09:53 PM
You converse lightly as you travel through the woods. Leora's well at home in the wilderness, and she occasionally stops the group to correct course, making sure you don't get lost.

After about half an hour of hiking, you notice the trees are getting thicker, and there are sections of thick brush that are impassable without a good machete. (Luckily, you can just walk around them.)

About 45 minutes in, Leora gets the sense that the group is being followed. Yes...she definitely hears footsteps from behind.

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 10:00 PM
*Do you hear that?*

*Hear what?*

*We're being followed*

Leora spins around and walks in reverse so that she can look at her two companions. She quite dramatically widens her eyes and lightly shakes her head. She raises her head to the side slightly in order to signify that she has heard something.

*Do you think they saw your warnings?*

*I hope so*

*No...I meant whoever is following us*

*Oh. ****, I hope not*

FatesServant
2015-02-12, 10:13 PM
Gafgarn raises an eyebrow as he see Leora start to turn around, though begins to nod in understanding as her eyes go wide. "Ah, don't worry about me, you two. Just cause me legs are shorter than yers don't mean you gotta slow down that much for me. I'll manage to keep up."

Gafgarn slows his pace down, bringing himself to the back of the group, with about a 5 foot gap between him and Zymdir.

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 10:30 PM
"Did I ever tell you how I escaped from those monkeys? lets just say they wont be swinging on any trees anytime soon hehehe" Zimdyr tightens his grip on the staff

Troacctid
2015-02-12, 10:43 PM
The footsteps stop as the party slows down.

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 10:54 PM
*The footsteps...they've stopped*

*Hmmm...should we stop? See who it is?*

*I'm not sure. Part of me thinks it's some creature or a pack of creatures trying to hunt us. Another part of me just thinks it's something keeping tabs on us*

*Ughhhhhnnnn...I don't know what to do*

*Let's keep walking. If the footsteps pick back up, we should start to get concerned. Until then, let's keep our mind on the quest at hand*

Leora continues to walk at the same pace towards their goal further into the forest. She makes no apparent signal to her companions.

If Gafgarn and Zimdyr hear the footsteps as well, or the recent lack thereof, you should let them know. Thus far I was assuming I was the only one hearing them

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 10:59 PM
Zimdyr sees Leora continue to walk and thinks *maybe it was a false call, but just I'll keep alert just in case* Zimdyr looks at Gafgarn and says "hey dwarf! ever seen any forrest like this before?" with a concerning smirk on his face

FatesServant
2015-02-12, 11:20 PM
"Aye, I sure 'ave. Been through these one as well, though I've only ever kept ta the trail. So far it seems pleasant enough though."
Thoughts:
Not sure what Leora's doing, but I guess moving on is what she thinks is safest. Suppose I'll follow her lead for the time, though it'd be best to keep on my toes, just in case

Gafgarn continues to follow Leora, while sticking to the back of the group.

Troacctid
2015-02-12, 11:24 PM
The footsteps start up again, a little further back now. This time both Leora and Gafgarn hear it. (Zimdyr's passive perception is not so hot.)

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 11:27 PM
Zimdyr doesnt notice gafgarn and leora "ive seen a forrest like this as well, my mother died in a place like this. She was very ill. She was the great priestess of our clan. She went on a long journey and told me about woods like these, the beauty, the green the animals. I miss her so, Matilda locke, I'll never forget you"

nightfire8199
2015-02-12, 11:27 PM
*Okay, this is starting to creep me out a bit*

*Perhaps we should investigate?*

*Yeah, perhaps*

Leora stops in her tracks and spins around. Seeing the recognition on Gafgarn's face Leora simply states, "Well?"

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 11:30 PM
Zimdyr wipes the tears from his eyes and looks up in confusions "well what?

FatesServant
2015-02-12, 11:41 PM
Gafgarn casts Thaumaturgy (In Dwarven) choosing to have it amplify his voice - "Well, She means it's time to come out now, stalker of the forest!" Gafgarn exclaims, grinning at Zimdyr only briefly before turning himself in the direction of the noise, shield held out in front of him.

Demarcario
2015-02-12, 11:45 PM
Zimdyrs eyes widen "Oh ****, how could I have missed this." Zimdyr casts shilelagh while he holds his quarterstaff in one hand, while his other hand begins to glow in an orange aura of the great old one!

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 12:41 AM
You hear a string of curses from the direction of the footsteps, and you can make out a humanoid figure dashing away into the trees to the southwest (AKA away from the incarnum, but veering towards Pallasi Village rather than Bluebridge, so not back the way you came). Whoever it is, it's clear they're not pleased at being spotted, and they're skedaddling.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 12:46 AM
"Lets make haste, I want answers!!" Zimdyr chases after the humanoid, running through the woods dodging branches left and right.

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 12:56 AM
Gafgarn breaks his connection to the first casting of Thaumaturgy (no more booming voice) and whips his head back towards Leora "Go right!" as he chases after Zimdyr.

Provided Leora goes to the right, Gafgarn will wait until the first opportunity (if he can get close enough) he has to recast Thaumuturgy, this time producing the noise of breaking branches, as if stepped on, to the left of retreating stalker. (intent is to try and divert the "stalker" into Leora's path, or get "him" to pause momentarily)

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 01:34 AM
Leora runs at full speed in the direction of the humanoid figure, taking the right flank as instructed by Gafgarn.

I use dash to increase my distance traveled to 100 feet per turn. My mobility feat negates the possible effect of the forest on my movement speed.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 01:55 AM
Zimdyr Dashes(60ft) after the humanoid screaming "Come over here I just have some questions I want to ask!!!"

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 02:23 AM
Leora gains a lot of ground against the stealthy figure. She's totally wrecked his head start--I'm gonna say she's 5 feet behind him and 10 feet to his right. Now that she's closer, she can see that he's a shabbily-dressed male human.

The man nearly runs into a patch of brush, but manages to leap over it without slowing down. He hears Gafgarn's fake crunches on his left and Leora's real ones on his right, and decides he's probably best off running straight down the middle. He dashes again, traveling another 60 feet, putting him 65 feet ahead of Leora (plus 10 feet to the side).

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 02:29 AM
Having fallen far behind, Gafgarn will use his turn, barring any impediments that prevent him from doing so, to move and dash after the "stalker." 25 move speed should mean I'm only 75 feet from the initial position (25ft last round + 50 this round) and now roughly 85(?) feet away from the target.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 02:31 AM
Eager to catch up with leora Zimdyr dashes(60ft) again to try and get as close as possible

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 02:32 AM
Distance covered:
Quarry: 160 feet (2 dashes used)
Leora: 95 feet (1 dash used)
Zimdyr: 60 feet (1 dash used)
Gafgarn: 75 feet (1 dash used)

Complication roll affecting Zimdyr: [roll0]
Complication roll affecting Leora: [roll1]

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 02:35 AM
Zimdyr's path takes him through a patch of difficult terrain. A DC 10 Athletics or Acrobatics check (your choice) avoids it; otherwise lose 5 feet.

Some dirt is kicked in Leora's eyes; make a DC 10 Constitution save or be temporarily blinded, halving your speed for 1 round.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 02:38 AM
Zimdyrs struggles through this terrain trying his hardest to regain control

[roll0]

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 10:16 AM
Leora, seeing her target just within her grasp, continues to push herself as hard as she can.

*This ****er is going down!*

*Shut up. I'm trying to concentrate!*

I dash again directly towards the target, attempting to intercept him. (100 feet max, ignores rough terrain)

[roll0]

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 04:04 PM
The man continues running at full speed, avoiding trees and brush and narrowly ducking under a hornet's nest. When he sees Leora start to pass him, he lets out another curse.

Distance, dashes, and initiative:
1. Gafgarn: 75 feet (1 dash used)
2. Zimdyr: 120 feet (2 dashes used)
3. Leora: 195 feet (2 dashes used)
4. Quarry: 220 feet (3 dashes used)

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 04:10 PM
Seeing that she has finally closed in on her target, Leora's eyes narrow. She hears the man curse and a slight smile forms on her face.

"You're mine.", Leora whispers in Celestial.

On my turn I will use my normal 50ft movement to reach him (not consuming a dash). Let me know if I can then perform an attack.

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 04:16 PM
Gafgarn continues to dash in the direction everyone else has been running.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 04:18 PM
Zimdyr dashes(60ft) as fast as he can, thinking *damn I wish I worked out more*

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 04:32 PM
Distance, dashes, and initiative:
1. Gafgarn: 125 feet (2 dashes used)
2. Zimdyr: 170 feet (3 dashes used)
3. Leora: 195 feet (2 dashes used)
4. Quarry: 220 feet (3 dashes used)

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 04:37 PM
Leora adeptly leaps over a series of large rocks.

*****, he's getting away!*

*No...he isn't*

Spend 1 ki in order to make two extra attacks for my bonus action (Flurry of Blows)

1st attack: [roll0] @ [roll1] non-lethal damage
2nd attack: [roll2] @ [roll3] non-lethal damage
3rd attack: [roll4] @ [roll5] non-lethal damage

If any one of the two bonus hit, he will make DC 11 Dex or prone. (Open Hand Technique)

He can also no longer AoO me for the rest of the round (Mobility Feat). In case that is somehow something he has an ability for or something.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 04:48 PM
Leora swiftly overtakes the man and pummels him with a series of open-handed blows. Her first strike goes wide, but her second takes him in the back, and the third knocks him flat on his face. "Ow! ****, lady! That hurt. ****..." he says. Then he drops unconscious.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 04:52 PM
Zimdyr runs up ready to take action, heart pumping and sweat down his face, he confusingly says "its over?"

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 04:55 PM
Assuming Combat is over, Gafgarn will continue to rush towards the group until he is able to see what is happening. Once he sees that Leora is in control of the situation he will slow down. "Is everyone alright?" as he gives an acknowledging nod of his head to Leora.

Thoughts: She will be a useful one to have around. Byor told me of people who could move fast, but that was something else

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 05:04 PM
Now that the man is unconscious, you can get a better look at him. He's a dark-haired male human with a lean and wiry build, dressed in shabby leather armor. He's carrying very little gear--a light crossbow, a dagger, a waterskin, and a belt pouch are all clearly visible on his person.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 05:06 PM
Zymdir goes in and begins to take the mans items and placing them out of his reach and looks at gafgarn and says "Hey Gafgarn you still have that rope?"

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 05:26 PM
"Aye, that I do." He hands his hempen rope to Leora, given that Zimdyr is busy removing the man's weapons.

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 05:29 PM
Leora watches as the man crumples in front of her.

*Wait...did he just call me 'Lady'? That ****ing bitch!*

*Calm down. Is he breathing?*
Leora bends down and touches her fingers to his neck.

*Okay good. He's just sleeping. How are we going to question an unconscious man?*

*How is an unconscious man going to run away?*

*Fair point I suppose. I'm mainly just impressed. Seems my lessons weren't a waste of our time*

*Well, I didn't mean to knock him out, just knock him down. I haven't hit a human since we were kids.*

*Well, regardless here comes someone*

Leora looks up to see her compatriots approaching. She wipes a small bit of sweat from her brow and nods in response to Gafgarn.

"Yeah, I'm fine. He's seen better days though I'm sure"

She briefly looks over the man, taking note of his possesions.

*What was that for?*

*Let's see what kind of people our friends really are*
After hearing Zimdyr's request of Gafgarn Leora looks up and says, "Don't tie him up too tight, don't want to hurt the poor guy much more than he already is. Just tie it tight enough that he will have to spend some time to escape."

Leora takes the rope from Gafgarn and ties it several times around the man's ankles. She then ties the other end around a nearby tree. "Well...hopefully he wakes up soon"

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 05:33 PM
"hey buddy, wake up! we have some questions for you" says Zimdyr in a very strong stoic voice, with his chest popped out and shoulders broad in a power stance

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 05:35 PM
"Tie him to a tree. We've got plenty of rope for it. Makes it harder for 'im to escape, can't well pull a tree outta the ground. Also stops him from eating a faceful of dirt when he tries to worm away"

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 05:37 PM
"Now now, Zimdyr, looks like the man took a few good blows. He's like to be out for a while. let's give him some time to wake up"

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 05:40 PM
Nodding in agreeance with Gafgarn Leora says, "Hell, even I could use a rest after that chase"

Leora checks over the rope tied around the man one last time before moving about 50' away from the party and sits on the ground.

I begin my 30 min of meditation required to restore my ki.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 05:43 PM
"that sounds okay with me" Zimdyr walks to the closest tree and leans against it. keeping a watchful eye on the man.

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 05:49 PM
Gafarn finds a rock or a tree stump nearby and takes a seat, resting his legs from the recent sprint. He keeps an ear open to make sure the man doesn't have any friends looking for him.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 05:52 PM
You tie the man to a tree and settle down for a short rest. It's about lunchtime anyway. You open your ration packs and find that Donald, the cook back at HQ, packed each of you a beef sausage on a bun, with mustard and pickled cabbage, and a fresh cabbage salad on the side.

It's about an hour before you hear the man groan back to consciousness.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 05:55 PM
"Hey Gafgarn have you ever interrogated someone before?" Zimdyr says intriguingly. He then looks of at Leora to see if she is still meditating

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 05:59 PM
*Oh! Looks like he's awake...*

*Want me to do the talking?*

*You're kidding right?*

*No, why*

*Let's see...you would scream at him in a language he doesn't know, and then probably just beat him back to sleep*

*I could see that being effective.*

*Ugh...no. I got this one*
Leora walks over to the man and crouches down to just above his eye level. "First things first, we don't want to hurt you. Well..." She turns her head and looks at both Gafgarn and Zimdyr, "I don't want to hurt you at the very least. I don't know them too well. Nevertheless...who are you, and why were you following us?"

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 06:10 PM
Zimdyr Stands looking as intimidating as possible, and twirling his staff while hitting it hard against a tree.

*Look scary, just keep on looking scary, please great old one let me look scary*

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 06:11 PM
"No, Zimdyr. I have never interrogated someone before. Unless finding out what type of projectile caused the wound in a man's chest so you can treat it properly, counts. All while he's spitting up blood, of course. If that counts, then yes, yes I have." Gafgarn notices Leora's questioning glance towards him and Zimdyr. "I'm a healer boy" he says, looking at the hostage "and it looks like you've had some tough times lately, judging from the looks of ya. " Gafgarn inquires, taking a seat closer to Leora.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 06:13 PM
"Ohhh, I'm sore all over. Blimey, look, I'm sorry for spying on you guys, I didn't mean nothing by it, right? I'm just a poor bloke hunting for me family's supper. Just untie me and let me go, I won't bother you no more, I swear."

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 06:17 PM
Gafgarn looks at Leora, an eye brow quirked as if to say 'You're not buying that excuse just yet are you?' (no words actually said though)

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 06:27 PM
*Lies*

*Why do you say that?*

*Small movements of facial features can suggest hidden motives behind words. This man is a liar, and a rather poor one at that*

*Are you sure?*

*With absolute certainty*

*Alright...here we go.*

Leora stands up, so that the man must look up towards the sun in order to see her. She lifts her right arm and opens and closes her hand. "Sigh, you poor man. I suggest you start telling the truth. I don't take well to liars, and I am feeling a bit annoyed at the moment having chased your ass through the woods and all. Now I will ask you one last time before I really start to get mad..."

"Why. Were. You. Following us?" Leora states slowly and forcefully.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 06:31 PM
Zimdyr gets closer to Leora and gafgarn and states forcefully "we're finally getting serious? good, time for some fun." He then begins to look the man dead in his eyes with the biggest creepiest smile imaginable(acting of course)

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 06:35 PM
Thoughts:
Hm. She seems to be quite certain about this. Suppose I'll see how this plays out, though I can't let her wail on an innocent man

Gafgarn looks the man in the eyes, his face blank of emotion. He does not turn his heads towards Leora.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 06:44 PM
"Wait wait! ****! Look, don't hurt me, I ain't done nothing wrong, really, just recon, okay! Even if it were to set up an ambush, not that it were, but if it were, it's not like it's even against the law, cuz it's the woods, and the laws are just in the city, right. Anyway I weren't gonna do anything!"

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 06:52 PM
Hey now, Ain't no one accusing you of nothing. We're just getting to know eachother a bit better is all. Out here in the wilderness, where there is no law to speak of, it sure is important for fellow travelers to stick together is all, ya know? Why, I fear these woods would be a lovely place for an ambush, and it'd be most dreadful to be caught unawares. Might you, just for sake of conversation, have any idea where an ambush in these here parts would occur?" Gafgarn asks, flashing a friendly smile at the hostage.

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 07:01 PM
"Recon you say? Recon for whom? And what were you going to tell them when you got back?"

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 07:03 PM
"and how far from where you live? how many people?"

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 07:04 PM
"What, ambush you guys? No, no, look, I'm not one of those bandit types, right, nasty buggers, them, but if I were, I wouldn't be ambushing you, see, I'd want to pick an easy target, see? Rich folks in posh carriages, not badass magic blokes like yourselves, right, cuz you'd kick our asses even if we got the jump. And I can clearly see that you ain't no easy targets, no sir, so if I were a bandit, which I'm not, you could untie me and let me go, and I'd run right back to me bandit buddies and tell 'em to stay the hell away from you blokes, and the ambush would be off, if there were an ambush, which there ain't. You know. Just speaking hypothermically. I swear I'm tellin' true, don't hurt me."

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 07:09 PM
Zimdyr raises his hand and points towards his head causing a bunch of sparks to erupt in a safe distance away from his face. "so youre saying youre a bandit?"

Casting prestidigitation near his face but not close enough to hurt him

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 07:10 PM
The man flinches. He looks pretty shaken.

"Bandits? No, no, I ain't no bandit, right, but there are bandits in these woods, sure. They like to keep tabs on anyone passing through. Not me, though, I'm just a poor bloke trying to feed his family, right."

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 07:19 PM
"Do you know where these bandits may be? uh mr. Not Bandit?"

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 07:22 PM
*Is he lying?*

*I...I'm not sure*

*Ughnnnn...I guess we have no choice then*

Leora looks at both Gafgarn and Zimdyr, "We have no reason to believe him. We also have no reason to hold him here. We spooked him, and he ran. Could he be a bandit? Sure. But..." and she turns towards the stranger, "he knows that if we saw him again trying to stalk us, I would take him down first."

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 07:26 PM
"Thats good thinking, He's seen our faces though." Zimdyr looks at the man "this is your lasts moments on this planet, what do you know of these woods?"

[roll0]

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 07:29 PM
His face whitens. "No, look, look--I didn't do nothing, honest, I won't tell no one you were here! Faces? What faces! No faces! I won't tell no one, I swear!"

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 07:39 PM
Leora quickly snaps her gaze towards Zimdyr. "Okay, that's enough. I'm letting him go."

She unties the ropes she tied around his legs, and helps him to his feet. She walks over and grabs his weapons and hands them to him. "Our apologies sir, we meant no harm. Honest. We were just worried that you may have been a man of ill intent." She digs into her pocket and pulls out a few coins. "Here, take this and buy yourself a pint on me. It's the least I can do for that nasty whack I gave you earlier."

Leora begins to spool up Gafgarn's rope when she looks up, "It might be best to not wander too far into these woods alone. There have been reports of wildlife tainted by the influence of corrupted incarnum. So stay safe."

*You know this could come back to bite us in the ass right?*

*Yeah...I know. We have bigger issues to deal with though*

Leora hands the man 20 sp

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 07:46 PM
Zimdyr looks at leora "Well thats that, we should head back the way we came, the incarnum is that way. Need to be careful of bandits...possibly" says with a playful smirk.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 07:47 PM
"Too right, miss, last you'll see of me, honest. I need a stiff drink and a new pair of trousers," the man says as he staggers away.

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 07:54 PM
"Probably for the best" Gafgarn says as he rise from his sitting position with a grunt. He takes his rope back from Leora and places it in his pack. He tightens his belt, making sure his weapons are properly in place, then hoists his shield back up to his side. "Time to get moving. We've wasted enough time."
thoughts: I certainly hope that man can fend for himself. If he's foolish enough to wander deep into the woods just to follow random people he's going to get himself killed. Very quickly

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 07:55 PM
*You know what...I like this half-elf more by the hour. He's a man of similar style to my own.*

*You would say that...Poor guy nearly had a heart attack and died after the half-elf pulled that ****ing stunt. It's a wonder he could say anything, let alone clear his name*

*You can't be nice to everyone dearest...*

*I know, but the poor guy was probably just a poor hunter...and we scared him senseless. Hell, I knocked him the hell out. His family is probably distraught over his prolonged absence. Not to mention he now has to return home empty-handed."

*You dropping his ass to the ground was my favorite part to be honest*

*Ugh...*

Leora nods in agreement with Zimdyr. "Yeah, we should try to get to the incarnum before dinner"

Leora waits until she sees that everyone else is ready, and then heads off back towards their objective.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 08:34 PM
Zimdyr see's Leora heading off, ready to move out he begins to relax with both arms hanging on his staff thats behind his head.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 08:40 PM
You leave the man behind and set off again toward where the woods are thickest. As the vegetation grows denser, you find it more difficult to progress (in other words, pretty much the whole place is now difficult terrain), but you're at least sure you're going in the right direction. By now the sound of birdsong has given way to a much less cheery chorus of eerie rustles, and the canopy is thick enough here to leave large patches of shadow.

Eventually you come across a rather deep chasm blocking your path, too wide to easily jump. The bottom of the chasm is filled with thorny brambles that make it hard to gauge its exact depth.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 08:46 PM
Zimdyr looks down, filled with uneasiness he tries to make light of the situation."well this isnt creepy" Zimdyr states with utter sarcasm. "anyone see any away around this? maybe we can use that rope and climb down to just take a peek, but uh, I'd rather not..." he says a little creeped out.

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 08:50 PM
Leora approaches the edge of the chasm and looks down to the bottom

*We should probably avoid that*

*Agreed...perhaps there is another way across?*

Leora looks around her, trying to spot a bridge within her range of vision or a lengthy fallen tree.

Perception: [roll0]

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 08:55 PM
Actually, there is a fallen tree a bit further to the east, but it was inconsiderate enough to fall parallel to the chasm rather than across it.

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 08:56 PM
"I think it best that we not go down the chasm, we should find a way around. We've got the rope to climb across if necessary, but I'd rather we find a route that keeps our feet on land, if possible"
Thoughts: I'd rather not have to dangle over that chasm. Worst case scenario, I'll let me "special" rope do most of the work for me. But please, by Moradin's beard, let there be a land bridge

"Let's see what we've got around here...."
Gafgarn takes a look around, hoping to spot an easier way across the chasm. Perception check (if desired) [roll0]

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 09:10 PM
There are plenty of trees in the area. Lots of brambles at the bottom of the chasm. Bushes, vines, plants of all kinds. You can see an unusually large squirrel dash up a tree on the other side of the gap, too. But no obvious way across.

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 09:28 PM
Gafgarn let's out a sigh. "Suppose we'll have to do this the hard way." He grabs his Rope of climbing from his pack, holds one end in his hand, and commands it to span across the chasm. Once on the other side, he will order it to "knot" (in dwarven), as well as to tie itself to a tree on the other side.
Thoughts:
This would certainly be a convenient location for the ambush that man was speaking of earlier, though I don't see anyone nearby
Mechanics:
This is all assuming that the chasm is less than 50 feet wide. If not Gafgarn will not try to use the rope. At the first instance of danger, Gafgarn would pull and order the rope back to himself

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 09:45 PM
As you speak the command word, the rope obligingly knots itself and shimmies across the gap. With the rope as a reference, you can make out that the chasm is a little over 25 feet across.

After about 30 seconds, it's securely tied to a tree trunk on the other side, and there's enough slack left to secure it to a tree on this end, too. It's not the easiest tightrope to walk (Acrobatics DC 15), but it's certainly easier than jumping.

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 09:59 PM
Making sure the rope is secured on both ends of the chasm, Gafgarn will proceed to take his hempen rope from his pack, and tie it around his waist, tying the other end with as secure a knot as he can (in a loop formation, like a sewing needle and thread) around the rope of climbing. any excess hempen rope (he's giving himself 10 feet slack between the rope tied around his waist and the loop around the rope of climbing) he coils and secures to his pack, so as not to get in his way).

"Excessive? Perhaps, but Byor once told me an adventuring tale of his. Said he once had a friend, Gemin, who was the best climber a man could know. Gemin was crossing a tight rope, just like this'un when his foot slipped and the poor **stard fell to his death. 'A smart man would avoid the gap altogether' Byor told me. But a wise man makes his conditions as favorable as possible"

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 10:02 PM
Good thinking. That'll give Gafgarn advantage on the check.

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 10:02 PM
*Uhhh...that doesn't look safe to me*

*Do you see another way across?*

*Oh my, I can't watch this. Close your eyes*

*What? No!*

Leora takes a deep breath and steps up onto the rope. Before crossing she turns to the dwarf, "pray for me."

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 10:19 PM
Zimdyr goes over to Gafgarn and places his hand on his shoulder. "Gafgarn, my the great old one guide you" Zimdyr gave Gafgarn guidance 1d4 to any ability check, then gives guidance to himself

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 10:20 PM
Leora steps off the rope on the other end of the chasm, and lets out a huge breath. She had held her breath all the way across.

*That was scary*

*Yeah...let's not do that again. Next time we mightn't be as lucky.*

Leora turns around and sees her friends tying saftey harness ropes around themselves.

*Woah. That's smart.*

*Yeah, we probably shouldve done that*

Seeing them about to cross, Leora shouts out "Watch out, it sways a bit in the middle. Don't overcompensate or it might throw you. I nearly had a nasty fall myself."

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 10:23 PM
"I suppose there's no harm in accepting the aid of another entity." Gafgarn grips the rope and prepares to cross. "Moradin, by your will"
Gafgarn attempts to cross the chasm.
With advantage [roll0] or [roll1] with [roll2] added to the higher roll

including the +2 from guidance, that gives Gafgarn a 15 total on his acrobatics to cross.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 10:27 PM
Zimdyr slowly follows Gafgarn and carefully crosses the rope. "Holy great one, I nearly soiled myself"

acrobatics 18+2 guidance roll in ooc

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 10:33 PM
Thoughts: Holy Forge master father above, let's not do that again

"Looks like I owe your Old One my thanks, Zimdyr. Thank you." Gafgarn states graciously, as he begins to coil both of his ropes back up and place them in his pack.

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 10:37 PM
"that was a close call everyone! the great old one was looking out for us today!"

*I hope they didnt notice, I hope my cheery attitude covered it up. So close to incarnum, Its just so vile. I wanted to, I wanted so bad. when I was on that rope I almost did. I almost jumped in there, into the dark, thorns poking my body, blood dripping from me. I was so close, I hope they didn't notice, please old one, why! why am I like this!*

FatesServant
2015-02-13, 11:10 PM
"Come, we're getting closer. We can't afford to tarry here. The incarnum must be stopped ere it take over the woods completely."

barring any objections, Gafgarn pushes onwards, deeper into the heart of the forest

nightfire8199
2015-02-13, 11:16 PM
Leora follows Gafgarn's lead and continues onward toward their objective

Demarcario
2015-02-13, 11:18 PM
Zimdyr snaps out of his funk and hurrily chases after the two

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 01:04 PM
As the group walks through the forest, Leora examines her fellow party members. She takes brief inventory of what equipment they have, just in case it is relevant some day down the line.

*I would ask 'what're you thinking?'...but...*

*I don't know, I just don't want to end up in a situation like that chasm again, except for us not to have a plan*

*My dear, I know. I can hear your every thought.*

*I'm aware*

*The more I think of this half-elf the more perplexed I have become. He wears the armor of a warrior, has harnessed the power of the arcane, and worships his god more than any cleric I've ever met...*

*So?*

*Something doesn't seem right...Why become a master of the arcane arts?*

*Hmmmm...*

Leora casually turns to Zimdyr, "Say, why would a servant of the Great Old One such as yourself dedicate themselves to the arcane arts? Why not follow the same path as our dwarf friend here?"

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 01:12 PM
Zimdyr smiles back at Leora "haha, it wasnt my choice, I grew up in a small village, my late mother Matilda, the great priestess taught me of the arcane arts and the connection to the great old one. when she was my age she went on a journey and found her path, so I'm doing the same. As for the armor? during my travels as a hermit, lets just say I was an easy target, half elf gotta protect himself!"

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 01:18 PM
*High Priestess Matilda? Why does that name sound familiar?*

"I suppose that makes sense. Tell me about your mother, the way you talk about her makes me think she must have been an amazing person."

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 01:24 PM
"aaah she was a great women, she always put her faith in the village, she took care of us and made sure everyone was okay and all disputes were settled. Her and the village elders ran the village peacefully. Unfortunately she fell ill and passed away before passing all her knowledge unto me, one day I will be as great as she was! but I have a long way to go. She told me during her travels she has seen many lands and people, that free thinking is the best for all, I will take the teachings I have from her and apply them every day" Zimdyr says while looking into the sky, remembering his childhood

"how about yourself? where did you learn how to run like that, and those attacks? they were so fast!" Zimdyr says with excitement

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 01:32 PM
Gafgarn trudges ahead, cutting through the terrain when required.
thoughts:
Why is she so fixated on Zimdyr? His powers aren't unheard of. His devotion is something to be admired, and his "old one" doesn't seem to be malevolent. It's not like he's worshipping a fiend after all.
Odd though that she questions his past, yet is reluctant to speak of her own. Surely a sign of a rough childhood. Or something darker. She does lose herself in thought quite often.
Don't stick your nose in it Gafgarn. Focus on your task

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 01:33 PM
"Wow...what a great woman," Leora says with a tiny smile. She then looks down at the ground and slows her pace every so slightly. She pulls her hands up into the sleeves of her robe as she continues to walk.

"I...I don't even remember what my mother looks like... Whether she was a good woman or not, whether she loved me or not, nothing. I'm jealous of you and your mother, or at least what little time you had with her. I wish I could say the same for myself..."

Leora pauses briefly as she feels a tear slowly pooling in the corner of her eye. She pulls her right hand out of her sleeve and wipes it away while letting out a slight chuckle.

"You know, it's funny. I've never really given much thought to my parents until now. I mean, I missed them a lot at first, but that slowly faded away I guess. I don't know, I don't really remember how or when it happened, but at some point I just forgot about them. It's only after hearing you speak so highly of your mother that I begin to wonder...Did they look for me long? Do they still miss me? Would they even recognize me? Hell, are they even still alive?..."

Leora's words trail off as she becomes more quiet and inaudible. She almost seems to be muttering things to herself.

*Are you okay, my love?*

*Yeah, I'll be fine...just give me a moment*

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 01:43 PM
Zimdyr kindly looks at Leora, looking for words to say "thats unfortunate, but you've become a strong women on your own, I dont know about your parents but I am certainly more than impressed" Zimdyr then begins to look at Gafgarn, "what about you Gafgarn? you've also had an...interesting past" he says very gently

It seems we all have experiences some kind of pain in this group, we are well suited together.

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 01:45 PM
Leora looks up at Zimdyr and gives him a smile. "I don't know if I would say 'On my own', but thank you."

Hearing Zimdyr ask the dwarf about his past, Leora turns her gaze toward Gafgarn.

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 01:53 PM
"Interesting past?" Gafgarn questions. "I'm simply another victim of the Incarnum blight. Moradin called my family back to the forge sooner than we imagined is all. Sides, I'm luckier than most. Moradin may have reforged my natural parents, but he blessed me with a father worthy of being his Champion, and a mother who loved me as her own."

Gafgarn slows his pace slightly. Perhaps I should slow down a little, it looks like they could use a second with their thoughts. I can't have them distracted when I need them alert
I don't think I've dusted off the family shrine back home in a while. I'll have to make sure to do that

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 01:59 PM
Hearing Gafgarn's response Leora's face finally seems to brighten.

"That's a past not too dissimilar to my own..."

*What in the hell are you talking about?*

*What? It isn't...*

*Uhhhh...it's entirely different.*

*Okay fine, but it's similar in some aspects*
"Maybe it isn't actually. But I did live with a farmer and his wife for a few years before they passed. Just like you and your adopted parents, they took me in as if I was one of their own. They had real kids of their own too, but they loved me like they were my natural parents. I owe my life to them..."

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 02:06 PM
"And yet something troubles you about the experience. I've been around for a while, though not as long as some others. But believe me, taking in a child is not something a family does just because. It's a commitment, and one people only do if they feel called to it. Don't spend much time question your past with them. I'm sure you brought them much joy in their waning years."

Gafgarn smiles to himself, a tinge of sorrow in his furrowed brow
They are both so young, so seemingly innocent. I wonder if they are ready for this life. Death is common when corrupted incarnum is involved. I shall have to do what I can to keep them safe

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 02:14 PM
"commitment must be hard, I never knew my father. My mother came back to the village pregnant, I was born a month later. The only thing I know is he is or was a human" Zimdyr says with a slight hint of anger.

That god damn bastard

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 02:21 PM
Leora notices the shift in Zimdyr's demeanor.

*Hmmm...I'm guessing there is a story behind this*

*He'll tell us when he's ready, I'm sure*

She opens her mouth as if about to say something, but after realizing she has no clue what to say she closes it again.

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 03:04 PM
You come to a dead end. The way is blocked by a mass of brambles. You start to turn around and find yourself face to face with the biggest wolf you have ever seen. Two more smaller wolves emerge from the bushes on either side. This is an ambush all right, but these don't look like bandits.

http://i.imgur.com/VTcdtDa.png

Initiatives:
Gafgarn: [roll0]
Leora: [roll1]
Zimdyr: [roll2]
Small wolves: [roll3]
Dire wolf: [roll4]

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 03:12 PM
The dire wolf pounces on the target it perceives as the most vulnerable: the unarmored human. It lunges toward Leora and snaps its jaws at her leg in an attempt to drag her to the ground.

Bite attack: [roll0] to hit Leora for [roll1] piercing damage. If it hits, make a DC 13 Strength save or fall prone.

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 03:22 PM
Leora sees the wolf begin to move forward.

*Remember, watch it's eyes...*

*I know, this isn't our first time...now be quiet*

She stays perfectly still, pretending to be strucken with fear. At the last second she bends her knees and slides a few inches to one side, causing the wolf to miss her. She looks downward at the wolf and raises her hands into the air.

"YAHHHHHH!"

Two attacks:

[roll0] @ [roll1]
[roll2] @ [roll3]

As she turns to make her strikes, she sees Gafgarn preparing himself. Looking behind her she sees Zimdyr exposed in the rear and about to be flanked by two wolves.

"I don't think so..."

She runs over to the wolf on her right in an effort to protect Zimdyr.

I move to the square to the left of the wolf nearest me (not the dire one). The dire wolf gets no AoO due to my Mobility feat.

Edit for clarification: I move 10' east

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 03:23 PM
Zimdyr raises his hand and touches his quarter staff then immediately points his hand at the wolf on his right(the left wolf on the map) and a crackling orange energy bursts from his hand "I'm sorry you chose to attack me today, old one take mercy upon you" he says with grief

Casted Shelagh as a bonus and eldritch blast the wolf [roll0] if hit [roll1]

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 03:24 PM
"May your wills be guided by Moradin's Grace!"

Gafgarn casts Bless onto the party, granting everyone a 1d4 to attacks (and saves? - I'm away from my book right now, sorry) so long as it's active. He then takes a 5 foot step to the west, placing him closest to the wolf on the left. (unless doing so would provoke from the large wolf, in which case he will stand his ground)

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 03:44 PM
The dire wolf rolls with Leora's first punch and takes no damage. The second it dodges completely. It starts to snap at her heels when she disengages, but she dances out of the way.

Zimdyr's blast strikes true against the wolf on the western side. It growls, looking seriously wounded.

Gafgarn stands his ground and begins concentrating on his blessing spell. (Yes, it affects saves, and he would currently provoke an attack of opportunity from the dire wolf if he moved.)

Wolves' turn:
The wolf on the western side advances to flank Gafgarn. It and the dire wolf attack in concert, making it difficult for Gafgarn to defend effectively. The wolf on the eastern side was intercepted by Leora and is priced into engaging with her.

Small wolf against Gafgarn (with advantage): [roll0] or [roll1] to hit for [roll2] piercing damage (and DC 11 Strength save or fall prone)
Dire wolf against Gafgarn (with advantage): [roll3] or [roll4] to hit for [roll5] piercing damage (and DC 13 Strength save or fall prone)
Small wolf against Leora: [roll6] to hit for [roll7] piercing damage (and DC 11 Strength save or fall prone)

http://i.imgur.com/gvoAMD8.png

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 03:51 PM
Leora sees the small wolf's attack coming and throws her leg back in order to avoid it.

"Not today!"

*Look an opening!*

"YURRRRUGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Leora spends a ki to make a flurry attack on the wolf.

10 @ [roll0]
20 @ [roll1] and DC 12 Dex or prone
19 @ [roll2] and DC 12 Dex or prone

Edit: Rolls in OOC

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 03:53 PM
Zimdyr sees the wolf he attacked headed toward gafgarn and screams "NO YOU WOOOONT!" Zymdir then raises his hand toward that wolf

[roll0] if hit [roll1] Eldritch Blast

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 04:09 PM
Zimdyr's attack connects again, blasting the wolf off its feet. It collapses to the ground, unmoving.

Leora swings and misses with her first blow, sweeps the wolf's leg out from underneath it with her second, and knocks it unconscious with the third. (Unless I'm missing something, your attacks should be doing +3 damage, not +2; the extra 2 damage is enough to drop it.)

Only the dire wolf remains standing.

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 04:09 PM
Gafgarn sees the two wolves descend upon him and attempts to block one with his shield, but fails to anticipate how well the beasts work in concert. He struggles to keep his footing.

Save on the small wolf [roll0] + [roll1] from bless
concentration to keep bless with advantage [roll2] + [roll3] or [roll4] + [roll5]

and again on the large wolf
[roll6] + [roll7] from bless (if still active)
concentration to keep bless with advantage [roll8] + [roll9] or [roll10] + [roll11]

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 04:13 PM
(Still the same turn)

Seeing the small wolf she attacked fall unconscious before her, Leora turns her gaze toward the remaining dire wolf. She runs straight at it, fists raised in the air.

Leora uses her unused move action to move 5' south and then 10' west, placing her just to the right of the dire wolf.

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 04:15 PM
Gafgarn loses his concentration on the spell, but manages to stop the small wolf from grabbing onto his leg, but unfortunately leaves his other leg open, allowing the dire wolf to drag him to the ground.

On his turn Gafgarn stands up "I ain't gonna be that easy to kill, you overgrown furball!"
He casts healing word on himself as a bonus action, healing himself for 1d4+6 and then attacks the wolf with his warhammer
for [roll1]

typed in healing bonus wrong. [roll]1d4 +6

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 04:19 PM
healing roll to hopefully work:
[roll0]

error due to trying to correct non functioning roll in an edit. Found out that doesn't work. Smart.

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 04:20 PM
Zimdyr watching the struggle between Gafgarn and the dire wolf, sends a blast hurling toward the wolf

[roll0] if hit [roll1]

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 04:22 PM
Leora sends two punches at the dire wolf.

[roll0]+[roll1] = 26 @ [roll2]
[roll3]+[roll4] = CRIT @ [roll5]

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 04:27 PM
Slow down there, it's the wolf's turn first. Although with only one left, its actions probably don't change your tactics much. :smallsmile:

The dire wolf growls and strikes at Gafgarn again. [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage

Its teeth glance off his armor.

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 04:31 PM
Zimdyr and Leora connect with their attacks; Gafgarn misses. The dire wolf does not drop; it's much tougher than its fellows.

http://i.imgur.com/enztL1r.png

Gafgarn's turn, then the wolf again.

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 05:23 PM
Gafgarn sees the dire wolf starting at his leg again: "Not this time, mongrel!" He shouts, smashing his shield down just in time to repel the wolf's bite.

Gafgarn looks over his shoulder Thoughts: Thank Moradin, it appears I drew the brunt of the assault. The other's look to be safe

Realizing himself to be the target of the wolf's hunger, likely due to the blood dripping from his leg, Gafgarn raises his shield, ready to block the wolf's attack once more
Mechanics: Gafgarn performs the "dodge" action

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 05:38 PM
The three of you have given this wolf a very bad day. It looks to the left at its fallen packmate. It looks to the right at its other fallen packmate. It growls, backs away (taking a disengage action), and retreats into the brush. Today is not the day it wants to die.

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 05:43 PM
Leora holds steady for a moment, fists still raised in the air. After a few seconds she slowly lowers them to her side and looks at the two fallen wolves.

"We best get moving...We won't want to be around when those two wake back up. Injured or not, I don't think they'll try to be our friends."

Demarcario
Zimdyr rushes over to Gafgarn and says "Are you okay? you got some blood on you. Good job scaring that wolf away!" he then looks over to Leora and nods his head in acknowledgment

FatesServant
Gafgarn will move 25 feet in the same direction it went, hoping to still be able to see its massive frame through the brush it just ran through. If he can see it, and it isn't more than 120 feet from his new position, he's going to blast at it with guiding bolt.

Perception if needed: [roll0]

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 05:54 PM
Gafgarn can catch a glimpse of silver fur between the branches. The wolf is just barely visible. It has 3/4 cover (+5 AC).

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 06:49 PM
"Feel the might of Moradin's hammer, vile monstrosity!"
Gafgarn casts Guiding bolt at the wolf, praying to his god that he may make the nearly impossible shot.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Gafgarn has now cast 3 of his level 1 spell slots for the day.

"Dang it, the beast got away."

Troacctid
2015-02-14, 07:01 PM
The bolt misses completely, and the wolf melts out of sight.

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 07:06 PM
Zimdyr walks up to Gafgarn and says "did you you hit it? I just heard a loud noise and a flash of colors coming from here"

Maybe I should talk to him about the teachings of the great old one?...better not.

nightfire8199
2015-02-14, 07:37 PM
Leora approaches her two companions. "We must be getting closer to the source of the corruption. Did you see the size of that wolf? We best be on increased guard as we continue." She quickly glances over at the two unconscious wolfs.

"If we are to free these creatures from the grasp of evil, we must make haste. Lets go"

Leora takes a few steps backward in their previous direction of travel, moving slowly as though waiting for a sign of agreement from her friends.

*We may need a rest if we are expecting further combat, I'm sure the cleric wouldn't mind it.*

*I know, but lets travel a bit further. I'd rather we not set up camp too close to these wolves. Wouldn't want them coming after us when they wake up*

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 07:40 PM
"Im ready to move out, it's likely we'll run into more animals like that" Zimdyr said lookingood cautious

FatesServant
2015-02-14, 08:06 PM
"Nay. Missed it horribly at that. Seems Moradin must have other uses for that beast. I just pray it dies before it can hurt any others"

Gafgarn tries to recall the nature of corrupted incarnum, and if there is any hope of saving the wolves, or if corrupted creatures are always corrupted.

Demarcario
2015-02-14, 08:58 PM
"Thats unfortunate Gafgarn, but continue on we must, the incarnum must be close by" Zimdyr thinks back to when he was studying the arcane to understand what he just experienced

[roll0] to be used as knowledge arcana

Troacctid
2015-02-15, 04:16 PM
You try to work your way around the mass of brambles, but quickly find that it extends quite a ways in both directions and is almost as tall as some of the trees. Not to mention that traversing around it is proving to be no picnic--by now your hair is filled with twigs, your clothes are stained with dirt, and you are looking thoroughly disheveled. You start to think that maybe one doesn't simply walk into the heart of Bluebridge Forest.

After an hour, however, you do find what looks like it might be a way through--a dark, thorny tunnel, filled with enormous spiderwebs. Of course, it could also just be a dead end filled with giant monstrous spiders, since you can't exactly see through to the other side.

There's still plenty of ground you haven't covered; there may be other tunnels. Or not. Who knows? You don't have a map of this place.

nightfire8199
2015-02-15, 04:24 PM
Leora peers into the tunnel, a look of concern across her face.

*Spiders to be sure*

*Ugh, I hate spiders*

*Could be a good place to set up a camp for the night if we can clear it out. If it's the way through...all the better.*

*Hmmm, good call*

Leora turns and looks at her companions. "Could be a good place to set up a camp for the night if we can clear it out. If it's the way through...all the better."

*What the **** was that?*

*What?*

*You literally just said what I had said. Word for word.*

*No it isn't, I'm sure I switched some of the words around a bit...made it my own*

*No! You didn't! You said exactly what I said, even the timing was the same...whatever, it doesn't matter*

Demarcario
2015-02-15, 04:32 PM
"We'd be well protected in there, good thinking! Let me take a quick look, since I can see in the dark and all" Zimdyr heads over and cautiously looks into the tunnel

FatesServant
2015-02-15, 04:35 PM
Gafgarn takes a look around the cave, then back the way they came before finally peering into the darkness of the tunnel.
"We've lost enough time as it is, and I'm not sure we'll be able to make any more ground up top" He nods to the foliage surrounding them.
"One way or another, these caves likely lead somewhere, and that's better than nothing. Steel yerselves, once you're both ready, we can move in."
Gafgarn turns to Leora "Yer gonna need a light down here aren't you? I wont stop you from using a torch if you like, but I can also create a magical light for ya if you want the free hand. You'll be lit up like a burning tree though, so won't be much sneaking around that way" He glances at the size of the tunnel "Though that may not be an option anyways"

Troacctid
2015-02-15, 04:36 PM
Passage through the tunnel is obstructed by webs. Lots and lots of enormous spiderwebs. You don't see any spiders; they're probably hiding, as spiders often do.

Demarcario
2015-02-15, 04:39 PM
"Well Gafgarn, my eyes are kindof tired...maybe you should go first" Zimdyr says nervously, he then slowly backs away from the cave and behind Gafgarn

For the love of **** **** holy ****ing ****old one, going in there?

nightfire8199
2015-02-15, 05:53 PM
"As much as I would love to have both hands free, perhaps having a torch would help with clearing out the webs in our path..."

Leora takes her pack off her back and pulls a torch out. She uses her tinderbox to light the torch.

"Well, I'm ready. Should I lead perhaps, so that I can burn the webs? Or do you want to hold the torch sir dwarf?"

Demarcario
2015-02-15, 06:15 PM
Zimdyr face drops and begins to look worrisome, he looks and leora and Gafgarn " I dont know about this, maybe we should keep moving, you know above ground? We know nothing about this hole"

FatesServant
2015-02-15, 06:28 PM
"In case something should happen, it's probably best to have one who can see naturally in the dark at the helm. I'd hate for ya ta lose the torch, just to find yerself blind with no where to run."
Gafgarn takes the torch from Leora.

"We know even less of what's outside this hole Zimdyr. At least down here we know there to be web and a determined path. Took us a long time just to get here, and no telling how long to get around it. Keep an eye on the rear, and remember - you've got the Old One looking out for ya."

Gafgarn lights the torch, holding it in his main hand (in place of his warhammer) and grips his shield tightly in his other. He peers once more at the surround area before banishing the idea of traversing the forest once more. His resolve strengthened, he starts towards the tunnel entrance.

Unless objections are raised, Gafgarn will begin to proceed into the tunnel, keeping a slow pace as he clears the webs from the path.

Demarcario
2015-02-15, 06:38 PM
"Great Old One guide us true" Zimdyr whispers, he then begins to follow Gafgarn into the brambles. He looks down at the back of Gafgarns head and says with new found courage "I got your back Gafgarn, we'll all be fine. Thanks for the encouragement!"

FatesServant
2015-02-15, 07:06 PM
Realizing that burning the webs within a bramble tunnel, however, would be a bad idea, Gafgarn decides to converse with the party once more.

"Maybe burning the path down isn't the smartest idea. I can work on cutting the webs down, but that'll take some time. We could use our magical powers to break through, but that'd likely be a noisy affair. Either way, I doubt we will find a better route to continue through, though we can always try"

Demarcario
2015-02-15, 07:19 PM
Zimdyr looks at Gafgarn and raised his shoulders, wondering what options they have in this dense thick forest and says "we dont have many options Gafgarn, I say we cut down the webs, worse comes to worse, we'll all die being eaten by what I assume to be a spider"

Or maybe, maybe we should burn the webs, maybe they'll catch on fire, then the forest, maybe we'll all burn up, all charred, completely burnt to a coal. Stop it, STOP THINKING THIS WAY!

Zimdyr then begins to smile back at Gafgarn and Leora.

nightfire8199
2015-02-16, 12:50 PM
Leora looks at Zimdyr and then at Gafgarn, "I agree with the half-elf. We should cut these webs down." Leora reaches out and grabs her torch, and places it back within her pack.

"Given that this structure is built from overgrowth, it is quiet possible that light may shine through once we pass through the entrance. If not, and it becomes too dark for me to see, I would appreciate the magical light you had mentioned earlier Gafgarn."

*Wait...did you just see that?*

*See what?*

*Nothing...I...I'm not sure I saw anything. We must be tired*

*Hrm, I feel fine. Are you sure you didn't just see something? Should I mention it to these guys?*

*No...No...It must have been the darkness in the tunnel playing tricks on our eyes.*

*Okay...If you say so*

*...*

Leora lifts off her heels slightly, standing on her toes, and peers once again into the darkness of the tunnel. "I ****ing hate spiders..." she whispers quietly.

Seeing Gafgarn starting towards the tunnel entrance, Leora places her hand on his shoulder. "Lead the way sir dwarf, I'm right behind you."

Demarcario
2015-02-16, 01:54 PM
Zimdyr Slowly begins to walk behind Leora, constantly looking behind him hoping they wont run into...anything. Zimdyr says reluctantly "Here we go"

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 02:17 PM
Gafgarn takes a rock (or piece of bramble, something small enough to fit into a palm) and casts light on it, and turning to Leora "Stick this in your pocket or up your sleeve. Covering it up will stop it from giving our position away, but at least now you have it if needed."
That taken care of, Gafgarn pulls out his handaxe (figuring it'd work better against webs than a warhammer) and begins to move through the tunnel at the head of the group, attempting to only cut down sections of webs that are blocking the path (or providing great impediment to the group's passage)

nightfire8199
2015-02-16, 02:20 PM
Leora takes the glowing rock from Gafgarn. "Thank you." She grasps the rock in her hand and pulls her hand up into her sleeve.

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 05:31 PM
You start clearing a path through the webs. Progress is steady, and you make your way into the tunnel. The air inside is dusty and stale, and you almost think you hear a soft clicking sound from somewhere deep within.

Suddenly, a blast of webbing shoots out from the shadows, entangling Gafgarn. As if on cue, three spiders the size of housecats emerge into view, two of them skittering across webs down the walls towards the dwarf, and the third dropping from the ceiling straight into Leora's hair. Behind them in the darkness, eight red eyes gleam at you, and you can make out the shape of the spider that shot the web--it's bigger than a horse!

Surprise round! Two of the small spiders botched their stealth checks and don't get a proper surprise attack, but the big one and the one attacking Leora get a free round to hit you (and with advantage for attacking from stealth).

The large spider rolls to hit Gafgarn with its web attack, which will restrain him if it hits. (The webbing can then be broken as an action with a DC 12 Strength check.) [roll0][roll1]
The small spider rolls to hit Leora with its bite [roll2][roll3], which deals 1 point of piercing damage and forces a DC 9 Constitution save to avoid taking [roll4] poison damage.

After that, turns proceed in initiative order. Here are your initiative rolls.
Gafgarn: [roll5]
Leora: [roll6]
Zimdyr: [roll7]
Small spiders: [roll8]
Large spider: [roll9]

And here is the map. The grey areas are webs (difficult terrain, and if you walk through them you need to make a Dexterity saving throw or be restrained).
http://i.imgur.com/ZzLlQA9.png

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 05:34 PM
Gafgarn cuts away at the webs, deciding to be thorough in his work and clearing out a path large enough to comfortably move through.
Thoughts:
Better safe than sorry. Better to get through than die to some spider due to be stuck in its web

nightfire8199
2015-02-16, 05:39 PM
As the spider descends from the ceiling onto Leora's hair her face becomes instantly pale.

"FUUUUCK!!! GET THIS ****ING THING OFF OF ME! WHAT THE HELL! GAHHHH, I HATE SPIDERS, ****!"

She goes to brush the spider off of her head, but not before it can sink it's teeth into her.

"GRAHHHHH!!!"

Leora prepares to strike the spider that just bit her.

Leora makes two attacks on the spider that bit her:

[roll0] @ [roll1] 6 damage
[roll2] @ [roll3] 5 damage

(Messed up damage rolls, see OOC for roll)

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 05:42 PM
On his turn, gafgarn will attempt to break free from the web
[roll0]

*sorry for the early post, I failed to notice that the Initiative's weren't already ordered.*

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 05:55 PM
It only takes one attack--she yanks the spider off her head and dashes it against the wall. It falls limply to the ground, unmoving. (She can then make her other attack against a different spider, but it misses regardless.)

The larger spider crawls through its webs to approach its prey. It creeps closer to Gafgarn with a monstrous clicking sound and presses its teeth into his flesh.
[roll0][roll1] to hit for [roll2] damage, and make a DC 11 Constitution save or take another [roll3] poison damage.
Edit: Critical hit! 8 additional damage.

The two smaller spiders excitedly skitter onto Gafgarn's semi-cocooned form and attempt to join the feast.
[roll4][roll5] for the first one, dealing 1 damage, and [roll6] more damage on a failed DC 9 save against poison. Miss.
[roll7][roll8] for the second one, dealing 1 damage, and [roll9] more damage on a failed save.

Gafgarn, who is not very comfortable with spiders crawling all over him, struggles to burst the webs that restrain him, and, thankfully, succeeds.

Zimdyr's turn.

Demarcario
2015-02-16, 06:05 PM
Zimdyr Raises both his hands and looks the giant spider directly in the 8 eyes and says " Gafgarn!"

Zimdyr Casts Hex(1bonus, 1d6necrotic for each attach that hits) on the giant spider and gives disadvantage on dex checks . Then Eldritch blasts giant spider [roll0] =CRIT if hit [roll1]

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 06:07 PM
"Erg!" Gafgarn grunts out as the spiders bite down on him, managing to find the gaps in his armor. "Damn Web! I've had enough of you!" He screams as he breaks from it. He stares the large spider in it's collection of eyes "Now it's your turn"
At this point Gafgarn is down 15 hitpoints from his maximum, ere the poison is accounted for:
Poison saves (with advantage and resistance due to dwarven traits)
Large spider: [roll0] or [roll1]
Small spider" [roll2] or [roll3]

Looks like Gafgarn makes the save against poison for each instance

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 06:11 PM
Zimdyr's blast strikes the spider right in the eyes. It screeches in pain.

Map:
http://i.imgur.com/RjU0Dlv.png

Initiatives:
Leora <--current
Spiders
Gafgarn
Zimdyr

nightfire8199
2015-02-16, 06:17 PM
After taking care of the spider that had attempted to eat her face, Leora finally turns to face the battlefield. Seeing Gafgarn bound in web and being stricken from all sides she realizes that she has to get to the large spider. She spots an area free from webbing to the east of the spider and begins moving towards it.

Leora moves to the white space adjacent to the spider (directly to the left on map)

Dex Check: [roll0]

(Remainder of turn pending on result of dex check...will use std action to either attack or break free depending on what happens)

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 06:20 PM
Leora tries to step over a section of web, but catches her foot and her left arm on a bit she didn't see. She finds herself stuck fast. (The Dexterity DC is also 12.)

nightfire8199
2015-02-16, 06:25 PM
*Wait...you can't go through there*

*I need to...*

Leora begins to move through the webbing. Her leg begins to get consumed by webs, and as she looks up sees a spider right ahead of her.

Begining to panic she starts to scream "I HATE SPIDERS!!! I HATE SPIDERS!!! I HATE SPIDERS!!!"

She slumps forward and clutches her chest, and then throws back her arms and screams in an incredibly deep masculine voice:

(In Celestial) "**** THESE SPIDERS!!! GRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Leora, now overtaken by Gadriel, attempts to break free of the webbing.

Rage as a bonus action.

Adv on STR check DC 12 to break free:

[roll0] or [roll1]

Gadriel rips his leg from the webbing, and turns his gaze toward the large spider.

(In Celestial) "TIME TO DIE, NOBODY HURTS MY LEORA"

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 07:10 PM
As Gadriel shakes the web, two more of the baby spiders plop down from the ceiling. This time it's Zimdyr's head that one of them lands on; the other falls to the floor. What's more, you can spot two more moving in from further down the tunnel. Crap.

Map update:
http://i.imgur.com/pPSulDi.png

Large spider's turn. It attempts to grab Gafgarn and drag him deeper into its lair, where it can cocoon and eat him while its children deal with the other intruders.
Spider's roll: [roll0]
Gafgarn's roll: [roll1]
(Hang tight for the results of this.)

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 07:27 PM
The monstrous spider snatches Gafgarn with its enormous pincers and scuttles backwards, dragging the dwarf 15 feet down the tunnel and making a point of trying to get some of its webs around him in the process.
Gafgarn is being pulled through two sections of web and gets a Dexterity save on each one to avoid being entangled by them.
Save #1: [roll0]
Save #2: [roll1]

However, Gadriel is in position to make an opportunity attack.

Meanwhile, the baby spiders start to swarm around Gadriel and Zimdyr. Each of you is taking two attacks, and two more spiders are using their turn to move in closer.
Against Zimdyr:
Attack #1: [roll2] to hit, 1 damage plus [roll3] damage on a failed save
Attack #2: [roll4] to hit, 1 damage plus [roll5] damage on a failed save

Against Gadriel:
Attack #1: [roll6] to hit, 1 damage plus [roll7] damage on a failed save
Attack #2: [roll8] to hit, 1 damage plus [roll9] damage on a failed save

And here is the map update after the spiders' turn.
http://i.imgur.com/FrueDNX.png

Initiative:
Leora/Gadriel
Spiders
Gafgarn <--current
Zimdyr

nightfire8199
2015-02-16, 07:32 PM
Seeing the large spider pull Gafgarn away, Gadriel yells out, (In Celestial) "NOT THAT EASY!"

He attempts to strike at the spider as it crawls away.

Gadriel's AoO
[roll0] @ [roll1] unarmed damage

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 07:38 PM
"What the hell? Oh ****!" Gafgarns screams as he starts to get pulled away. "Take your time!" He shouts back as he's dragged through the webs
Thoughts: Like Hell I've got this. Now I'm in trouble
He realizes the spiders intent:
]No, Gafgarn! No time to panic. Just as Byor taught you. Wait for the opening, and now![/COLOR]

Having recomposed himself, Gafgarn manages to use his shield as a sled to prevent the webs from grabbing hold of him.
As a bonus action Gafgarn will use his last level 1 spell slot to cast Healing Word on himself for [roll0]
and he will also cast Spiritual weapon behind the spider in the shape of an axe. The Spiritual weapon will attack the large spider:
[roll1] for [roll2] if hit

Demarcario
2015-02-16, 07:43 PM
Zimdyr looks at the palm of his hand as electricity begin to rip around his finger tips he then lunges his fist toward the spider in front of him and says "you ****ed with the wrong half-elf"

Shocsking Grasp [roll0] if hit [roll1]

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 07:45 PM
Direct hit for Gadriel! His fist goes right through the spider's eyes with a crunch, leaving half of them a goopy mess. It cries out, a sound somewhere in between a squeal and a hiss. It looks like it's on its last legs as it crawls away with Gafgarn in tow.

Then Gafgarn shouts a holy word and his spiritual axe chunks into the creature's back. With a final spasm, it collapses, releasing the dwarf.

Mama spider is down.

Meanwhile, Zimdyr's spell just barely misses its target.

nightfire8199
2015-02-16, 07:49 PM
Gadriel spins around, having seen the mother spider be killed by Gafgarn's spell.

He strikes out at the spiders before him.

"GRAHHHHHH!"

First attack on spider due south: [roll0] @ [roll1] unarmed

If first still standing, attack again. If not, switch to spider to south west.

[roll2] @ [roll3] unarmed

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 08:32 PM
Gadriel punches down one of the spiders, missing his first strike but nailing it on the second. Its exoskeleton breaks with a satisfying crunch. However, the follow-through on the attack takes him into another web, and he gets stuck again. Bother.

This is especially bothersome because the remaining spiders that aren't already attacking Zimdyr--including the two new ones--are all swarming down to attack Gadriel. One of them provokes an attack of opportunity from Gafgarn on the way.

With half his body snagged in the webs, Gadriel can't defend effectively against their attacks.
First spider (this one--northernmost on the map--will be dead if Gafgarn's opportunity attack hits it): [roll0][roll1], and your Constitution save is [roll2] to avoid [roll3] poison damage.
Second spider: [roll4][roll5], and your Constitution save is [roll6] to avoid [roll7] poison damage.
Third spider: [roll8][roll9], and your Constitution save is [roll10] to avoid [roll11] poison damage.That's 3 damage if Gafgarn's opportunity attack misses, 2 damage if it hits.

Meanwhile, Zimdyr is still being swarmed by the two spiders that attacked him last round.
First spider: [roll12] to hit for 1 damage, and your Constitution save is [roll13] to avoid [roll14] poison damage
Second spider: [roll15] to hit for 1 damage, and your Constitution save is [roll16] to avoid [roll17] poison damageThat's 4 damage.

Additionally, yet another baby spider crawls out of the tunnel to join the fight...but this time, it's distracted by the fresh corpse of its mother, and attacks her instead of any of you. Gross.

Oh, and by the way, your fight has been very noisy so far, and you've attracted the attention of a new party. Outside of the tunnel, an absolutely enormous sabertooth tiger slinks out of the bushes and begins to lazily observe the brawl.

Map update:
http://i.imgur.com/Bxpl7x6.png

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 08:40 PM
Noticing the spider moving away from him, Gafgarn attempts to bring him axe down to cleave the creature in half.
[roll0] for [roll1]

"Damn it" Gafgarn mumbles as he momentarily trips over one of the dead mothers outstretched legs.

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 08:45 PM
Gafgarn's fumbled attack brings him into contact with another sticky section of web. (Make a new Reflex save at the start of your turn, which is next.)

Demarcario
2015-02-16, 08:46 PM
Is that a ****ing Tiger??? Oh my Old One. Focus Focus Focus

Zimdyr suddenly snaps back into reality and once again attempts to shock the spider in front of him

[roll0] if hit [roll1] Zimdyr then uses his bonus action to Hex the to the spider to his left if passes concentration save [roll2]

"Burned that disgusting spider! First time I've ever done this during my travels hahaha" Zimdyr says boldly hoping no one noticed that he pee'd his pants a litte

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 08:49 PM
Zimdyr loses his concentration, but he does connect with his shocking grasp, which turns the spider in front of him into a charred husk.

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 09:26 PM
"That's what happens when you make an enemy of Moradin, lousy vermin!" Gafgarn smiles to himself as the large spider dies. He cringes slightly when the little spider starts to eat the corpse but figures "No time to think on that.."

missing the smaller spider, gafgarn tries to stop his axe from colliding with the webs [roll0]

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 09:30 PM
Assuming the reflex check was successful:
Eager to help his friends, Gafgarn moves 5 feet to the south and attacks the spider just north of Leora. "Let me return the favor lass!" [roll0] for [roll1]
He will also use his bonus action to move the spiritual weapon south 25 feet as it attacks the spider just to Leora's left [roll2] for [roll3]

Unable to see the tiger due to the webs filling the tunnel in that direction, Gafgarn quirks and eyebrow and in a "please tell me I am wrong" tone of voice asks "Did I just hear something....growl?"

FatesServant
2015-02-16, 09:32 PM
New reflex save from gafgarns next missed attack, if needed; [roll0]
nvm, just realized that spider is standing in a cleared out section already

Troacctid
2015-02-16, 09:50 PM
Gafgarn (having rolled his second consecutive natural 1) must be a little dizzy from being dragged around by that spider. He whiffs, hitting nothing but the air.

Map update:
http://i.imgur.com/DXeE976.png

nightfire8199
2015-02-17, 11:53 AM
Gadriel looks at the spiders coming at him, and feels their teeth sink into his flesh. (In Celestial)"IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT LITTLE SPIDER? GRAHHHHHH!!!!!"

Gadriel attempts to rip himself free of the web.

Adv on STR check (DC 12)

[roll0] or [roll1]

Ripping himself free from the webs, Gadriel looks at the spiders surrounding him. (In Celestial)"TAKE THIS, YOU EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS!"

Gadriel will spend a ki to attack the south west and west spiders (In that order) with his bonus action flurry:

South West: [roll2] @ [roll3] and DC 12 STR or pushed back 15' (If alive)
West (If SW dead):[roll4] @ [roll5] and DC 12 STR or pushed back 15' (If alive)

Gadriel moves to the south west, in preparation for the upcoming fight with the tiger.

Gadriel takes a 5' step to the SW, onto the square which previously held a spider

Gadriel's eyes narrow as he stares at the tiger. (In Celestial) "HERE KITTY, KITTY, KITTY..."

Troacctid
2015-02-17, 06:16 PM
Two more spiders scurry out of the tunnel's depths and also jump on the dead mother, who is proving to be an effective, if gross, distraction.

The other spiders continue swarming at their previous targets--one at Zimdyr, three at Gadriel.

At Zimdyr: [roll0] to deal 1 damage, plus [roll1] if this DC 9 save [roll2] fails.

At Gadriel:
[roll3] to deal 0 damage, plus [roll4] if this DC 9 save [roll5] fails.
[roll6] to deal 0 damage, plus [roll7] if this DC 9 save [roll8] fails.
[roll9] to deal 0 damage, plus [roll10] if this DC 9 save [roll11] fails.
That's 4 damage to Zimdyr, none to Gadriel.

Meanwhile, the tiger sits down and flicks its tail lazily, watching the show.

FatesServant
2015-02-17, 06:59 PM
Reeling from his disorientation Gafgarn thinks to himself *thats not a story you could tell Byor. Let's try this again!*
Gafgarn will attack the spider to the north of Leora
[roll0] for [roll1]
while directing the Spiritual weapon (with his bonus action) to move 5 feet up, and 10 feet south (AKA above the spider to Leora's SW) at which point the weapon will attack the spider it is floating above
[roll2] for [roll3] if it hits

Demarcario
2015-02-17, 07:06 PM
**These things are so gross, I'll need a nice bath after this!** Zimdyr thinks finding some courage within. He then begins to twirl his Quarterstaff around as it begins to make splintering noises then strikes the spider in front to the left of himself

Zimdyr casts Shilelagh(1bonus) then strikes the spider with his staff [roll0] if hit [roll1]

Zimdyr then looks behind him glancing at the tiger and at will uses to his eldritch site to see if its magical, zimdyr thinks **Why is this tiger just waiting? is it just a smart cat or is there something else afoot?"**

Troacctid
2015-02-17, 07:29 PM
Gafgarn starts to swing at a spider, but it skitters up Gadriel's leg, and at the last moment he has to turn his blow aside to avoid kneecapping his own comrade. The floating axe, on the other hand, cleaves a spider in half, and Zimdyr's quarterstaff pounds another into mush.

Gadriel, confined by the webs and unable to feel the bite of the spiders swarming on him, loses his grip on his and Leora's body, and Leora regains control of herself.
(You didn't attack or take any damage this round, so your rage ends early.)

Edit: Map update
http://i.imgur.com/Y4H4gn5.png

nightfire8199
2015-02-17, 09:46 PM
Gadriel slumps forward...(In Celestial)"NO...CAN'T STOP...MUST FIGHT...BUT...But...But...I must rest, I can't push this body any further"

Leora pulls her body back upright, and quickly glances to the right and left of herself. "Wow...we took down that giant spider?"

*Gafgarn took it down, but not before I gave it a good thwacking*

Leora feels something brush up against her leg. "What the hell is...GAHHHHH, ****ING SPIDER!"

Leora strikes at the spider, and as she does so sees another one to her side.

Leora will strike the western spider, and even if it is not killed attack the northern spider:

West: [roll0] @ [roll1] unarmed damage
North: [roll2] @ [roll3] unarmed damage
Seeing that she is standing in webs Leora jumps back to the saftey of the cleared ground

Leroa will move to the space just north of Zimdyr, and not provoke AoO from the two spiders

Troacctid
2015-02-17, 10:09 PM
Leora tears the spider off of her leg and smashes it against the wall, where a large protruding thorn impales it. Then she flattens the other spider with a well-aimed stomp.

The tiger outside the cave continues to watch the show, with the trademark aura of nonchalance that is common to all cats, even the ones that are the size of a rhinoceros.

Demarcario
2015-02-17, 10:28 PM
"Hey guys, I think we should move deeper through the tunnel, This ****ing tiger is Huuuge!" Zimdyr says with sarcastic grief. He then looks into Leora and Gafgarns eyes and with a worried look on his face "Options? hahahaha as his laugh tapers off.

Zimdyr then moves slowly back behind Leora and uses his action to detect magic on the tiger

Troacctid
2015-02-17, 10:38 PM
Zimdyr does not detect any magic on the tiger or anywhere else within 30 feet. Well, okay, he detects Gafgarn's spiritual weapon spell, but he already knew about that.

FatesServant
2015-02-17, 10:46 PM
"We had best keep moving. I rather think it be a bad idea to fight that creature, especially out in the open where it has the advantage. If it wants us dead, better to make it contend with the webs."

Unless anyone opposes, or anything begins taking hostile action, Gafgarn will proceed to use the spiritual weapon's remaining time to clear the path to the north of webs.

"Keep an eye out, I don't want to get ambushed like that again." Under his breath: "I've had enough spiders for one day"

-this is under the assumption that combat is, at least momentarily, over/suspended. If not, please disregard-

nightfire8199
2015-02-18, 02:00 PM
Seeing Gafgarn clear the path with his summoned weapon, Leora backs off from the Tiger. She eyes it closely as she backs away, before turning to the group.

"He's waiting... Best not give him a reason to strike, stick close"

Gafgarn will take point, and Leora will follow behind him same as before while we move further into the tunnel. Zimdyr will again be 10' behind Leora.

Troacctid
2015-02-18, 04:00 PM
You make your way through the tunnel. It's slow going. Sticky webs impede your passage at every turn, and you can hear spiders skittling on the walls and ceiling. None of them drop into anyone's hair this time, but it's still a little unnerving. At least a couple of the webs are occupied by human-sized cocoons. You even come across what appears to be a cocooned grizzly bear, with spiders swarming all over it. Finally, after a series of twists and turns, you come to a light at the end--it looks like you've reached the exit.

nightfire8199
2015-02-18, 04:57 PM
Looking ahead, Leora spots a light coming from the direction they are heading.

"Hmmm...I wonder if that is a way out?"

*And where exactly is "out"?*

*Back to the forest I suppose?*

*Only one way to find out I guess*

The group continues towards the light

Demarcario
2015-02-18, 05:02 PM
"I think this might be it, hopefully there are no more tiger..."

Troacctid
2015-02-18, 06:06 PM
You step out into the light and see...

A circular clearing in the brambles, open to the sky, but apparently a dead end. The ground is covered in soft green moss. On the north side of the clearing is a large hollow tree. You see more trees in all directions as well, all of them covered in moss and vines. It's like a medium jungle, except more deciduous, and with giant thorn bushes covering most of the ground.

FatesServant
2015-02-18, 06:15 PM
"Well, this here doesn't look too threatening" Gafgarn glances back at the tunnel behind them thoughts:
This looks too peaceful. It's possible the spiders have just kept it safe, but I'd rather check it out before letting my guard down
"Looks like a dead end. Let's take a closer look though, there might be another way to proceed"

Gafgarn slowly moves out into the center of the clearing, keeping a watchful gaze upward, more than a little paranoid about creatures dropping in from above given recent events.
Gafgarn will continue to wield his handaxe, ready to throw it if needed

Demarcario
2015-02-18, 06:23 PM
Zimdyr slowly creeps out of the tunnel after Gafgarn and says "Everything okay out here Gafgarn?...did uh, you see any spiders?"

He then looks at the ground with disdain "**** we better watch our step who knows what lies in this open space, All I can see is trees and branches. Great old one guide us...some help from Moradin would be nice too" Zimdyr whispers.

I have no ****ing clue where we are...damn.

Troacctid
2015-02-18, 06:50 PM
With his passive perception, Gafgarn thinks he spots animals moving in the trees, but he's not sure. The wind has picked up a little, and it's making it more difficult to hear.

Demarcario
2015-02-19, 03:47 PM
"time to be careful, if we get ambushed like that again we might be in trouble, we should not be out in the open like this, get some cover"

Zimdyr slowly makes his way towards the hollow tree and checks the spot for dangers
[roll0]

Troacctid
2015-02-19, 05:12 PM
Zimdyr tries to focus on the environment around him, but he finds his mind wandering instead. For a moment the tree's hollow appears to him as a gaping mouth to a netherworldly abyss, and every shadow in the clearing looks like it might be a tentacled monstrosity reaching out to snare his soul. His allies are probably just waiting to murder him in his sleep, and if he just burned the forest to the ground... he shakes his head and snaps out of it. Creepy intrusive thoughts again.

Demarcario
2015-02-19, 06:22 PM
Zimdy crouches to the ground and sinks his hand in the ground, feeling as every grain of dirt passing through his finger. He pulls a clump out of the ground as he begins to look up into the sky. A single tear from his eye, slowly drips down his face then drops into the dirt he is holding "why do you test me like this great old one" Zimdyr then drops the dirt onto the ground and looks at his comrades and says "I think we're close"

FatesServant
2015-02-20, 07:19 PM
Realizing his companions are being a tad too timid to venture out into the clearing, Gafgarn takes the initiative
"I'm not seeing anything, but given the state of things, there's just as frightening as seeing something. watch my back." Gafgarn says to his companions.
Gafgarn continues to move across the clearing, towards the hollowed tree, which he will carefully look into, readying himself to strike at any hostile creature that may call the tree it's home.

Troacctid
2015-02-20, 09:23 PM
Inside the hollow is, of all things, a ladder, carved into the tree's interior. Craning his neck upwards, Gafgarn can see that it extends all the way up about 20-30 feet through the inside of the trunk. At its top is a hole leading out to a particularly large, sturdy branch.

FatesServant
2015-02-20, 11:04 PM
Gafgarn stares up the tree a moment, bewildered at the sight before him
Moradin, forgive me. I placed my faith in a magical rope. Please have mercy on your servant, and watch over me as I perform recompense for my transgression
"Byor is going to love hearing this story"

Gafgarn turns back around to the group: "Hey, there's a way up from here. Hope yer ready for a climb." He notices Zimdyr staring into the darkness of the hollow as if it's some sort of monster "Zim...dyr? Are ye alright lad? It's just a tree. A tree with a built in ladder. But still, just a tree. Ain't nothin'else here" After a moment's pause, Gafgarn does a quick double take over both shoulders to make sure he didn't miss something.

He looks at himself, taking note of his armor, glances at his compatriots and looks back up the tree ladder (several times) before, with a slightly nervous chuckle stating: "I think you two should go first this time. Dwarves are meant ta stay on the ground, and I don't think you want to be below me here if I follow said nature"

Demarcario
2015-02-20, 11:15 PM
Zimdyr looks at Gafgarn bewildered "I...I'm okay" Zimdyr pauses and takes a minute to contain himself "I will head up first, but we should be very quiet, only the Great old one knows whats up there. We could be ambushed...again" Zimdyr then looks up the tree, a tiny bead of sweat begins to fall from his brow.

Zimdyr then slowly moves up the ladder and looks back down at his fellow comrades "Wish me luck" he says with a smirk

If needed [roll0]

Troacctid
2015-02-21, 08:19 PM
Zimdyr climbs up to the branch. It supports his weight easily enough, and it's not too difficult to balance on. Many of the other branches in these trees appear to be similarly strong.

He doesn't notice anything else here of interest, but then again, perception and investigation aren't really his strong suits. :smallwink:

Demarcario
2015-02-22, 10:31 AM
Zimdyr with one hand a foot on the latter and his other hand waving down at his comrades say "Hey come on up! I'm pretty sure it's safe, I didnt notice anything" he says with slight joy looking far down the tree at Gafgarn and Leora.

nightfire8199
2015-02-22, 03:23 PM
Leora looks into the trunk of the tree, and peers upward. Seeing Zimdyr looking down at her she grabs hold of the ladder. Leora makes her way up the ladder.

*Why didn't we go first?*

*I'm not too sure...probably should have.*

Stealth Check: [roll0] (if necessary)

Reaching the top, alongside Zimdyr, Leora looks around herself.

Perception Check: [roll1]

Troacctid
2015-02-22, 04:55 PM
Leora notices a rustle of movement in one of the other trees nearby, but she can't make out what it is.

She also takes note that the trees in this area of the forest are denser than they were on the other side of the tunnel. A suitably athletic individual might be able to travel by leaping from tree to tree, especially if they had a grappling hook or a sturdy vine to swing on.

FatesServant
2015-02-23, 12:29 AM
"Well, up we go" Gafgarn ascends the ladder, thinking to himself *Hmmm. Looks like they wanna do this quietly....I'm not particularly good at that.....Guess I'll do my best...?*
[roll0] and disadvantage roll due to armor [roll1]

*Thank goodness Leora caught that branch on the way up for me. If that'd struck me, that'd be one long fall down*

Demarcario
2015-02-26, 08:47 PM
Zimdyr looks at Gafgarn and Leora, he looks around at the foliage around him, perplexed of their current situation. "Does anyone see a way to move around up here?, why would there be a ladder leading up the the top of trees?"

nightfire8199
2015-02-27, 10:35 AM
Leora looks out at the surrounding trees...

"Hmmm, I'm not sure. I think there is something up here with us though, I saw movement. I'll attempt to scout ahead"

*Do you think whatever is up here is hostile?*

*I hope not, the dwarf is likely to fall if we get into anything too crazy*

Leora takes 20 with an Athletics bonus of +4 to slowly traverse through the trees, making sure to look around her as she does so.

FatesServant
2015-02-27, 04:08 PM
"I have to admit, I'm not tha' biggest fan of this" Gafgarn says, taking a final look down the ladder before facing forward. "But I don't see another way to go. Let's find out what we've got up here"

Gafgarn will proceed to follow after Leora, trusting his agile friend to be more competent in traversing the newly discovered landscape than he is. He will keep an eye out for any potential threats while Leora scouts the path
Perception: [roll0]
(there's something about marching order in the PHB, but I'm AFB right now, so please disregard if this isn't an allowed action for the individual in the middle of the traveling group)
Thoughts:
For once, I would love to not hear the calling of the stone..... Not when it's so far away at least

nightfire8199
2015-02-27, 04:16 PM
As Leora begins to attempt to jump she catches a small glance at the distance to the ground far below.

"Errrrr, on second thought...perhaps we best not try to jump it."

Leora looks at her companions, and sees the scars of battle upon them.

"My opinion is that we might be a bit better suited to try something if we waited till morning. Perhaps the cleric could produce a means of traversing through this if given the chance to pray?"

FatesServant
2015-03-02, 11:38 AM
"I'm certain I could make the climb slightly easier for us, sure, but me magic isn't particularly geared towards this style of endeavor. Sides, I'm not sure there's a place safe enough 'round here to set up camp. Last thing we need is ta be ambushed in the middle of me prayers"

FatesServant
2015-03-06, 04:03 PM
"It looks like we're getting closer to the Incarnum lads. I think it best if we push onwards. Once we get a bit closer we can take a quick breather, try to recover from our wounds for a bit"
Gafgarn pulls out his Rope of Climbing again, planning on using it to help the group cross through the trees (using it as a vine where appropriate, or as a tight-rope - as done earlier - depending on which method is more ideal at the time).

Troacctid
2015-03-06, 05:48 PM
The Rope of Climbing is even better than a grappling hook. Swinging on a knotted rope attached to a sturdy branch is only a DC 5, easy enough that you don't even have to roll unless you're threatened or distracted.

Demarcario
2015-03-07, 10:44 AM
Zimdyr smirks at Gafgarn while he pulls out his rope "Ahhh this again, You're a great help Gafgarn! you and that rope have helped us before. so, who goes first?"

FatesServant
2015-03-07, 02:22 PM
"I'll head over first. I'm not as nimble as you two, so if something up ahead, probably best I head over first. You guys can catch up a lot faster than I can." Gafgarn says facing Zimdyr and glancing towards Leora. He turns around and swings over to the next area.

Gafgarn will continue this process until the party decides it's time to take a short rest, or until one of the others interrupts the normal flow of events.

Thoughts:
Who would have thought the dwarf was the most prepared for traveling in the trees... Byor is never going to let this one go.

Troacctid
2015-04-02, 10:07 PM
Gafgarn swings over into the branches of another tree. He notices a hole in the trunk, and, examining closer, sees that this one is also hollow, with a similar ladder leading down.