PDA

View Full Version : New Online Encounter Difficulty Calculator!

jkat718
2015-02-12, 01:39 PM
There's been an influx of questions on encounter balance. To help people out, I used the Desmos online graphing calculator to put together a tool to figure out an encounter's difficulty.

Encounter Calculator v2.1 (https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ignuvomyb2)

Just open the Party and Creatures folders by clicking on the arrows next to their names, and adjust sliders in them. Whichever color range the dot on the graph is in tells you the encounter's difficulty. There's also a counter on the top left that tells you in number form, if you want it. To find it, just open the Difficulty folder. The dot's x position is the base XP, the y position is the adjusted XP. Enjoy!

pwykersotz
2015-02-12, 02:04 PM
Takes a bit to get used to, but nice.

One thing, CR's 2 and above are only showing the dot on the x axis for me, it is not traveling along the y axis at all. I tested using a party of 4 level 5's.

JFahy
2015-02-12, 02:36 PM
Test case: Four level 5 characters, then I started playing with the
slider for CR 4 monsters. The dot moved as if it was on a negative
slope. Glitch, or is there a sensible way to interpret that?

jkat718
2015-02-12, 03:18 PM
One thing, CR's 2 and above are only showing the dot on the x axis for me, it is not traveling along the y axis at all. I tested using a party of 4 level 5's.
Whoops, wasn't counting up the higher CRs.

Test case: Four level 5 characters, then I started playing with the
slider for CR 4 monsters. The dot moved as if it was on a negative
slope. Glitch, or is there a sensible way to interpret that?
When you say a negative slope, do you mean the dot started going lower, or just didn't move? When I did this, it moved farther right, but not upwards (due to the above mistake).

JFahy
2015-02-13, 04:01 PM
When you say a negative slope, do you mean the dot started going lower, or just didn't move? When I did this, it moved farther right, but not upwards (due to the above mistake).

With each successive creature I added, the dot jumped to the right and down. I can try
to reproduce it if it isn't happening for you.

Edit: Friday afternoon I just tried this again and now it's no longer
happening, so I don't know if you tweaked the code or if I had some
kind of buggered-up input the first time. Anyway, I can't reproduce
this anymore.

jkat718
2015-02-14, 05:10 PM
With each successive creature I added, the dot jumped to the right and down. I can try
to reproduce it if it isn't happening for you.

Edit: Friday afternoon I just tried this again and now it's no longer
happening, so I don't know if you tweaked the code or if I had some
kind of buggered-up input the first time. Anyway, I can't reproduce
this anymore.

What was probably happening was that the Desmos program was zooming out, so that, while the value was increasing, the position was decreasing. Merely a visual thing, and probably related to either the default zoom that was saved when I last edited the calculator or the aforementioned bug (which I did tweak the code to fix.

Unrelated: Your posts always have nice, neat indentation. Are you doing that manually for each post, or do you have some program to do it for you? It makes reading your posts much, much easier.