PDA

View Full Version : Wing a on a Humanoid creature

ZhanStrider
2015-02-12, 03:06 PM
If I'm an Avariel, or gained wings in some fashion (dragon disciple, favored soul ect) can I attack with those wings? Are they considered natural weapons?

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-12, 03:14 PM
AFAIK, dragons are the only creature that can use their wings as a natural attack. Maybe there are others, but I can list a whole bunch of winged creatures that can't use them to attack. Just like there are a bunch of creatures that have tails but don't get a tail slap attack.

Basically, something is only considered a natural weapon if it says so.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-12, 03:15 PM
If I'm an Avariel, or gained wings in some fashion (dragon disciple, favored soul ect) can I attack with those wings? Are they considered natural weapons?

Yes and no they don't. It's an unarmed attack. They do 1d3 and you're not proficient, I believe.

The rules for it are here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Unarmed_Strike).

Necroticplague
2015-02-12, 03:46 PM

Unless they say they can be used as weapons, then they cannot. However, this would be a nice way of fluffing the unarmed attack.

Segev
2015-02-12, 03:48 PM
If you're a monk, your Unarmed Strike class feature can use any part of your body. It is not hard to imagine an Avariel martial art that involves using the wings.

Red Fel
2015-02-12, 03:52 PM
As (Un)inspired points out, unarmed strikes can be made with any part of the body, and deal unarmed strike damage, which is nonlethal and based on your size unless you have some specific modification (such as Improved Unarmed Strike or a Monk's progression).

Natural Attacks, on the other hand, only exist if they're outlined in a creature's entry. I mean, everyone should theoretically be able to bite, but not everything has a bite attack. Note that a "wing attack" is generally considered a "slap or slam (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#slaporSlam)." For example, in the entry on Dragons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm), it says that "[t]he dragon can slam opponents with its wings[.]" That's a slam attack, by its terms. Similarly, the Dragon's tail attack is described as a tail slap.

Point is, unless the entry for a given wing option also mentions the ability to make a slam or similar natural weapon attack, you don't gain a special natural weapon attack. You can, however, make an ordinary unarmed strike with that appendage.

Flickerdart
2015-02-12, 03:54 PM
Any creature that attacks with wings explicitly has a "wings" (like Wyverns) or "wing buffet" (like Chaos Roc Span gives you) attack.

Solaris
2015-02-12, 10:51 PM
That said, you can take the Wing Expert feat found on p 105 of Races of the Dragon to get some advantages out of your wings aside from the obvious (advantages, I might add, which largely require you to negate the advantage of your wings in the first place).

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-02-13, 06:23 AM
There is also the Winged Warrior tactical feat from RotW pg 153. This enables you to use Dustup, Flying Leap, and Shroud of Feathers.

ShurikVch
2015-02-13, 01:42 PM
Buffeting Wings draconic graft allow to make wing attack