PDA

View Full Version : Crossblooded sorcerer fix.

Bobbybobby99
2015-02-12, 03:34 PM
The Pathfinder Crossblooded Sorcerer is an objectively awful choice. It trades, for an additional bloodline arcana and some versality with bloodline powers, a spell per spell level and a -2 penalty to will saves. It would be a bad choice with just the spell per spell level, much less being awful at will saves. It also, as an Archtype, is a genuinely flavorful choice, in addition to sparing the world from being comprised solely of arcane sorcerers, who also happen to be severely bland. One must, then, consider the following. Remove the -2 penalty to will saves, and rather than choosing between two bloodlines spells and spell lists, they recieve both. So, a crossblooded verdant and fey sorcerer would recieve both a fey and verdant spell when they reached the appropriate level. I like this option the most. It narrows down a sorcerers spell options, and often causes some redundancies, in return for bloodline flexibility. I would be quite happy to know if someone else adopted this particular 'fix', or what better fixes they could propose.
In essence.
Removed. -2 will penalty.
Added. Bonus sorcerer spell per level.

Zanos
2015-02-12, 03:44 PM
Wut.
Crossblooded is one of the strongest archetypes for Sorcerers. It lets you cherry pick bonus spells, powers, and bonus feats, and get two bonus class skills and two bloodline arcanas.

Bobbybobby99
2015-02-12, 04:56 PM
Wut.
Crossblooded is one of the strongest archetypes for Sorcerers. It lets you cherry pick bonus spells, powers, and bonus feats, and get two bonus class skills and two bloodline arcanas.
Both I, and the writer of the guide at the bottom (which I post to avoid sounding pretentiously singular in my viewpoint) and many more, would have to disagree with you. You don't receive any more skill points, if you choose a decent bloodline then you probably won't want to change many spells, and most sorcerer bloodline feats are terribly poor. Bloodline arcana are a fair gain in many cases, and those benefits are fairly strong. You are, however, forgetting how limited you already are as a sorcerer.

With a standard sorcerer, you will have 4 ninth level spells you can use at level 20. Let's say you are a defensive arcane, and thusly have Wish, Time stop, Mages disjunction, and Shapechange. If you were a Crossblooded arcane, you might have Shapechange, Time stop, and Mages disjunction. That is, if I may be so dramatic, Very Dramatic. You can never cast wish, not once, not even if a plot twist demands it while you're stranded on a desert island. It's not just loosing the ability to cast that one spell, it's loosing the ability to cast ten. That is, if I may be so bold, stupid. You're already having difficulty keeping up with varied environments, you don't want to exacerbate that further. And, as icing on the cake, you now have a reduced will save. It is not the strongest Archtype. Not at the moment, at least. I am perfectly open to suggestions on how to make a better Crossblooded sorcerer, but not to ones implying it needs to be weakened.

http://https://docs.google.com/a/fcpsschools.net/document/d/13MRfgZWlAakfd06JnboqbK6xNdb2Ht63dYqVg2kpGiI/mobilebasic?pli=1#h.wglnwblx2xz2

atemu1234
2015-02-12, 05:40 PM
Drop disjunction. You'll still slaughter everything with shapechange.