PDA

View Full Version : Best damaging spells for a level 8 sorcerer?

gadren
2015-02-12, 05:48 PM
I'm rolling up a level 8 sorcerer. I only want to know two straight-forward attack spells, as I intend to use the rest of my repertoire for other purposes.
So, what spells do the most damage, and what spells do the most damage without being subject to energy resistance?
My DM will allow me to use any spell from any 3.0, 3.5, or Pathfinder source, subject to his approval (he has already rejected Wings of Flurry).

Zaq
2015-02-12, 06:12 PM
Melf's Unicorn Arrow (PHB2) deals two doses of 1d8 + 8 at level 8, and it scales beautifully, especially if you can snag a CL increase from somewhere. It's typeless damage, not even force. Does require an RTA for each hit of damage, but that's going to be the case for a lot of spells that aren't going to be subject to energy resistance.

Orb of Force (SpC) is a classic for Sorcs who fear energy resistance, as well. At CL 8, it does 8d6 vs. Melf's Unicorn Arrow's 2d8 + 16, or average 28 vs. average 25, for a 4th level slot vs. a 3rd level slot, assuming everything hits.

Of course, if you take the party into consideration, a well-placed Haste or Mass Snake's Swiftness to get an extra swing from the beatsticks is likely to add more damage to the field than a blast spell is, but it sounds like you've probably already taken that into consideration, no?

gadren
2015-02-12, 08:52 PM
Of course, if you take the party into consideration, a well-placed Haste or Mass Snake's Swiftness to get an extra swing from the beatsticks is likely to add more damage to the field than a blast spell is, but it sounds like you've probably already taken that into consideration, no?

Yes, that is why I'm only taking two attack spells at most.

Darrin
2015-02-12, 10:00 PM
Evard's Black Tentacles = Encounter Ender. If the enemy can't beat the grapple roll, then it's either dead or immobile.

Note: using this spell may cause your DM to separate all creatures and NPCs by at least 50' at all times.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-12, 10:05 PM
Shivering touch is a pretty great damaging spell.

It only effects one target which kinda sucks though.

gadren
2015-02-12, 11:32 PM
Evard's Black Tentacles = Encounter Ender. If the enemy can't beat the grapple roll, then it's either dead or immobile.

Note: using this spell may cause your DM to separate all creatures and NPCs by at least 50' at all times.

My problem with Black Tentacles is that they don't differentiate between friend and foe.

Rakoa
2015-02-12, 11:46 PM
My problem with Black Tentacles is that they don't differentiate between friend and foe.

They don't need to. Absorb all your poor friends, as long as you get your enemies. You'll still be free to execute them at your leisure. Your enemies, that is. Not your friends. Unless you feel like it.

Alternatively, pick up the Sculpt Spell metamagic. At least one of the new shape options should let you avoid your poor, poor friends. Or at least most of them.