PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dwarven Oracle - Best Feats and Spells?

Palanan
2015-02-12, 08:34 PM
Thanks to a generous DM, I'm building a dwarven oracle with a penalty to Strength instead of Charisma. He'll be a stargazing sage with the Heavens mystery who grooves on a cosmic vibe.

In terms of party function, he'll mainly be a healer, a loremaster and the only socially gifted individual in the group. What are the best feats and spells to support this? All Pathfinder books are allowed.

Almarck
2015-02-12, 08:37 PM
Extra Revelation hands down. This is handy for if there's lots of revelations you want but can't take all at a given point. Real good feat to take no matter what your build.

But past that, we need to know what your mystery is and what kind of focus you plan. (Edit: I missed that part of your post. I do not know what mystery you have taken though, as a few mysteries fit into the the desired roles)

You'll want Haunted as a curse though if you haven't got your heart set on something else. It's a curse that has few to no drawbacks.

BWR
2015-02-13, 02:32 AM
Haunted can be really nasty. Since drawing and readying anything is a standard action you will be wasting a lot of combat time if you aren't well prepared before combat starts. Basically, any round you aren't casting or only moving is wasted getting out wands, rods, potions, weapons, shields, etc. You will be spending two rounds trying to stabilize your dying friend with a wand of CLW instead of one. I've a oracle with Haunted. So far, it hasn't been a big problem, but that might change.

What Mystery are you choosing?

Spore
2015-02-13, 06:21 AM
You might struggle with the "loremaster" part when you flatout ignore the Lore Oracle. For your aimed at parts a lore oracle would be perfect. High Charisma, Diplomacy and Bluff as class skills (with the right traits) and easy ways to get all knowledge skills as class skills. Healing is covered by cure spells. The Spirit Guide archetype is also very good at providing all knowledge skills if not as excellent.

avr
2015-02-13, 07:18 AM
Since you seem to have a GM willing to work with you, you might try this -

Take the Spirit Guide oracle archetype, bind the Lore spirit and get the Arcane Enlightenment hex. Though the hex doesn't really work for spontaneous casters, convince your GM that it essentially adds the spells it would allow a prepared caster to prepare to your spells known. You can now dabble in arcane magic when the cleric list doesn't seem heavenly enough.

stack
2015-02-13, 08:07 AM
All dwarves should take steel soul. All oracles should take the feat at 5 that gives Cha to saves.

Palanan
2015-02-13, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Palanan
He'll be a stargazing sage with the Heavens mystery….

Originally Posted by Almarck
I do not know what mystery you have taken….

Originally Posted by BWR
What Mystery are you choosing?

I don't know how to write it more plainly.

:smallannoyed:

Originally Posted by Sporeegg
You might struggle with the "loremaster" part when you flatout ignore the Lore Oracle.

Why do you assume I've ignored it? I looked it over, but the Heavens mystery seemed a better fit for my concept. It's what sold me on the oracle as the class to play.

Originally Posted by stack
All oracles should take the feat at 5 that gives Cha to saves.

Which is what? And where?

I'm still very new to Pathfinder, and I don't know what or where this is. It's not helpful to recommend a feat without giving me the name or even the book it's in.

Originally Posted by avr
Take the Spirit Guide oracle archetype, bind the Lore spirit and get the Arcane Enlightenment hex. Though the hex doesn't really work for spontaneous casters, convince your GM that it essentially adds the spells it would allow a prepared caster to prepare to your spells known. You can now dabble in arcane magic when the cleric list doesn't seem heavenly enough.

Very interesting, thanks--I'll give it a look.

Extra Revelation hands down. This is handy for if there's lots of revelations you want but can't take all at a given point. Real good feat to take no matter what your build.

And thanks, this was at the top of my short list.

Almarck
2015-02-13, 11:12 AM
In my defense, I had not received sleep for +30 hours when I wrote that.

But now that I am wide awake, I'll provide links for both my recoemndation and Steel soul
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/extra-revelation-1

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/steel-soul

Edit: Just found the feat the above was talking about and boy it's a doozy. It's a new feat too
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/divine-protection

Vhaidara
2015-02-13, 11:19 AM
What is it about the Heavens mystery that appeals to you? I looked it over and didn't see anything too exciting

Which is what? And where?

Divine Protection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/divine-protection), from the Advanced Classes Guide.

Palanan
2015-02-13, 11:21 AM
In my defense, I had not received sleep for +30 hours when I wrote that.

As excuses go it's not terrible. :smalltongue:

Thanks for the links to the feats, I appreciate it. Divine Protection does look pretty tempting.

Note that it includes the mystery class feature among the prerequisites, so it was written with an awareness of the oracle. Definitely going on my short list, thank you.

stack
2015-02-13, 11:22 AM
I was on my phone or else I would have given names and links when I posted. Planned to come back and add them but others have done so.

Palanan
2015-02-13, 04:43 PM
So, Divine Protection looks much too good to pass up; that's a definite. Extra Revelation is on the short list and Extend Spell is always handy.

Two other feats I'm thinking of are Amateur Investigator and War Blessing, both from the Advanced Class Guide. They're not glorious, but after looking through half a dozen books there doesn't seem to be much else useful for the oracle. Would either of these be a useful choice?

Spore
2015-02-13, 07:04 PM
Divine Protection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/divine-protection), from the Advanced Classes Guide.

Keep in mind that this feat brought some VERY mean looks from the DM and fellow players right in my area. Combining it with Steel Soul means you are nearly impervious to magic.

Extra Revelation is on the short list and Extend Spell is always handy.

I feel like Extend Spell is perfect for a rod. I extend Magic Vestment twice (Armor, Shield) per day and I use the last slot for Aid or similar spells. I feel like +1 spell level isn't usually worth it for saving a spell slot on e.g. 3rd.

But I love Toppling Spiritual Weapon with Magic Lineage (Spiritual Weapon). Free combat maneuver with every hit for a 2nd level spell. This spell keeps on giving (since your CMB is 1/2 your level + Cha and you can cast a toppling quickened spiritual weapon with a 6th level spell slot which is still decent). Doublecheck with your DM if the attack bonus is GAB + Cha or GAB + Wis for oracles. My DM accepted GAB + main casting stat.

deuxhero
2015-02-13, 07:32 PM
The best Oracle feats I can think of are all supplementing a revelation (such as supplementing one of the charisma to AC with charisma to initiative from Noble Scion and throw dex to the curb or boosting an AC granted by a revelation) though I haven't looked into Heavens much

Divine Interference is pretty good once you hit level 10, sacrifice a spell slot and immediate action to force enemies to reroll an attack against an ally in 30 feet (including you). Stops criticals and Oracles have low level slots to spare by CL10 (the penalty is just gravy)

VexingFool
2015-02-13, 11:52 PM
The dwarven feat Breadth of Experience seems like it would fit a dwarven loremaster. Since it requires the character to be 100+years old you could make him middle aged giving -1 to all physical stats and +1 to all mental stats.

Palanan
2015-02-27, 04:22 PM
So, I've just started playing this character, and the DM has disallowed Burning Disarm, on the grounds it's too powerful for a first-level spell.

That's his call, but it leaves me one spell short. What's a good first-level oracle spell to choose?

stack
2015-02-27, 04:54 PM
Murderous command. Then extend it, bounce it, and add meta magic reducers.

Arbane
2015-02-27, 05:08 PM
So, I've just started playing this character, and the DM has disallowed Burning Disarm, on the grounds it's too powerful for a first-level spell.

That's his call, but it leaves me one spell short. What's a good first-level oracle spell to choose?

Protection from Evil's as good as two buffs at low level (against evil enemies) and the anti-mind-control clause means it stays useful all the way to level 20.

Bless is a boring-but-useful buff that gets better the bigger your party is.

Murderous Command might be good, if you fight a lot of enemies with bad will saves.

Liberating Command is quite useful if the GM uses grapples a lot.

Ironbeard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/ironbeard) is one of the Dwarfiest spells ever, but possibly not a good pick with your limited spell-choices.

Comprehend Languages can be useful for the social-fu thing, but it doesn't let you speak their language.

Palanan
2015-02-27, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by stack
Murderous command.

Thanks for the suggestion, but not quite right for my character.

Originally Posted by Arbane
Protection from Evil's as good as two buffs at low level….

Liberating Command is quite useful if the GM uses grapples a lot.

Thanks, I'll give these another look. I'd passed over Liberating Command before, and it seems very useful but very situational. Worth putting on the short list, though.

As for Ironbeard, it's hilarious and I'd use it on just about any other dwarf. Alas, my current character avoids melee whenever possible, so he needs other ways to express his dwarfliness.

As for the feat suggestions earlier in the thread….

Originally Posted by Keledrath
Divine Protection, from the Advanced Classes Guide.

Originally Posted by deuxhero
…Noble Scion….

Originally Posted by VexingFool
The dwarven feat Breadth of Experience seems like it would fit a dwarven loremaster.

As it happens, I've taken Noble Scion, Breadth of Experience and Divine Protection, so I appreciate the suggestions.

Kurald Galain
2015-02-27, 06:31 PM
So, I've just started playing this character, and the DM has disallowed Burning Disarm, on the grounds it's too powerful

I find that silly; as written the spell gives its victim the choice between a piddling amount of damage and losing their weapon. That's actually very weak.

However, most first level divine spells are nothing to write home about, except those buffs already mentioned. Weapons against evil is sometimes useful, and a good stand by is obscuring mist.

Pex
2015-02-27, 06:48 PM
There are two spells you will want to have - Grace and Blessing of Fervor.

Grace is a 2nd level spell. Swift action to cast. Until the end of your turn you do not provoke an AoO for moving. As a spontaneous caster you can cast it as often as you need and whenever you want. The spell gives you great flexibility to move about the battlefield even if it's just to get away from the bad guys.

Blessing if Fervor is a 4th level spell that is similar to Haste. You cast it on the party and yourself. Each character affected chooses one benefit from among a set of options and can choose a different option their next turn. As a spontaneous caster you can cast it practically every combat. The options are:

Stand up from prone as a swift action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Increase your speed by 30 ft

Get an extra attack at your full BAB when taking the full attack action.

Get a +2 bonus to attack and +2 dodge bonus to AC and reflex saves.

Cast any spell of 2nd level or lower as Silent, Still, Extended, or Enlarged without increasing spell slot or casting time.