PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Invoker (4e to 5e) (WIP)

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-12, 11:51 PM
So my other work is on hold due to computer issues here is something I've been picking at for a while. This will be based around the Warlock but with some concept changes. While the warlock is mostly about deception and hiding, the Invoker will be about being out in the open with a big booing voice raining down the smite for their god. This different core concept is why you need a new class with new spells and not just make a new sub class.

Plus I can work on new invocations so +mod to damage isn't a clear cut winner for levels 2-20. The spells from 4e will come to 5e in forms of invocations.

The Invoker

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dnd4/images/7/7c/Invoker.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130518092615
Image from WotC via Wikia

"You want fear? I'm fear. You want chaos? I'm the chaos. You want a beginning? Here...I am the new beginning!" - Rico Dredd, Invoker of Talona

Level
Prof. Bonus
Feature
Cantrip Known
Spell Known
Spell Slot
Slot Level
Prayers Known

+2
Covenant Magic, Avatar
1st
-

+2
Prayers
1st

+2
Channel Covenant
2nd

+2
ASI

+3
-

+3

+3
-

+3
ASI

+4
-

+4

+4
Zealous Surge (6th)

+4
ASI

+5
Zealous Surge (7th)

+5

+5
Zealous Surge (8th)

+5
ASI

+6
Zealous Surge (9th)

+6
-

+6
ASI

+6
Divine Intervention
5th

Hit Points
Hit Die: 1d8 per Invoker Level

Proficiencies
Armor: Light and Medium
Weapon: Simple + Flail and Morningstar
Tools: None
Saves: Wisdom and Intelligence
Skills: Choose 2 from History, Insight, Intimidation, Persuasion, Perception, and Religion.

Equipment
(a) any simple weapon or (b) light crossbow with 20 bolts
(a) component pouch or (b) divine foci
(a) priest's pack or (b) exolorer's pack
(a) leather armor or (b) chain shirt

At first level once you learn of your Avatar status you make a covenant with your deity. Due to this covenant your deity bestows upon you a fraction of their power.

Cantrips: You know 2 Cantrip at first level and learn more as you level. Refer to the Invoker table.

Spell Slots: As Warlock.

Spells Known of 1st Level or Higher: As Warlock

Soell Casting Ability:
DC = 8 + Prof Bonus + Wis Modifier
Spell Attack Bonus = Prof Bonus + Wis Modifier

Spellcasting Focus: You use the same foci as Clerics.

You have come to learn that you are an avatar of your deity, a small portion of their power turned mortal. As you gain levels you learn to channel more of your power.

At 1st, 6th, 10th, and 14th level you gain an Avatar Feature. You do not have to match your covenant to your deity. You also gain bonus spells based onyour deity.

Preservation (Ex: Helm)
1st: As Disciple of Life (Clr. Pg. 60 PHB)
6th: As Blessed Healer (Clr. Pg 60 PHB)
10th: As a reaction, when a creature within 30 is attacked you may transfer the damage to yourself or an adjacent (willing) ally.
14th: When you use your reaction to transfer the damage you may make a melee spell attack within 5' and transfer the damage to that creature.

Spells
1st: Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith
2nd: Lesser Restoration, Zone of Truth
3rd: Protection from Energy, Revivify
4th: Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Otiluke's Resilent Sphere
5th: Mass Cure Wounds, Raise Dead

Pain (Ex: Loviatar)

Spells
1st: Ray of Sickness, Tasha's Hideous Laughter
2nd: Phantasmal Force, Ray of Enfeeblement
3rd: Bestow Curse, Fear
4th: Blight, Giant Insects
5th: Modify Memory, Bibby's Hand

War (Ex: Tempus)
1st: Gain proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics. Additionally you gain proficiency in heavy armor.
6th: Gain Great Weapon Fighting Style.
10th: You may change your weapon damage to radiant damage as part of the Attack Action.
14th: Once per round your weapon attacks deal an additional 2d8 radiant damage.

Spells
1st:
2nd:
3rd:
4th:
5th: Telekinesis

Wrath:

Malediction:

Preservation:

Angelic Visage: As an action you transform into an angelic image of death. You can cast the spell Fear without expending an Invoker spell slot once per long rest.

Blinding Light: One target per round that has failed the save versus Avenging Lights is blinded until the end of their next turn.

Gravija Lights: A target that fails their save versus AL is pulled 10' closer to you.

Intense Radiance: You add your Wisdom modifier to damage for each light that AL creates.

Demand Justice: As a reaction you may force a creature within 60' of you to reroll a saving throw. You may use this ability once per short or long rest.

Divine Weapon Mastery: You may use a Mace, Flail, or Morningstar as a divine focus for your spells.

Emissary of the Gods: You gain proficiency in Intimidation and Persuasion.

Shroud of Awe: As a bonus action you speak in a thunderous voice that can be heard clearly for 500 feat. You gain advantage on your next use of the intimidate skill before the end of your turn. You may use this once per short or long rest.

Symbol of Hope: You may cast sanctuary without using a Invoker spell slot.

Gain 1 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell that may each be cast once per long rest.
At 20th level you may pray for one minute and regain all your spent spell slots. You may perform this prayer once per long rest.

NOTE: I chose spells that fit the theme, if the lists are too strong I can cut some stuff and put others in their place... Most of these are Cleric spells.

Avenging Lights (new, replaces eldritch blast)
Blade Ward
Guidance
Light
Mending
Thaumaturgy
Shocking Grasp

Avenging Light
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 120'
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

Light appears in a creature's apace within range. The target takes 1d10 radiant damage on a failed Constitutiin save, otherwise the damage is negated.

The spell creates more than one light when you achieve higher levels. Two lights at level 5, three lights at level 11, and four lights at level 17.

You may target the same creature or different creatures with this spell. If you target the same creature with multiple lights they get to save against each light.

Bane
Command
Inflict Wounds
Protection from Evil and Good
Unseen Servant
Witch Bolt

Blindness/Deafness
Continual Flame
Entrall
Hold Person
Levitate
Locate Object
Misty Step
Pass Without Trace
Shatter
Silence
Spiritual Weapon

Counter Spell
Daylight
Dispel Magic
Fear
Fly
Remove Curse
Speak With Dead
Spirit Guardian
Tongues
Water Walk

Banishment
Death Ward
Dimensional Door
Locate Creature

Animate Object
Commune
Hold Monster
Geas

Blade Barrier
Find the Path
Fobiddance
Harm
Heal
Planar Ally
Sunbeam
True Seeing

Conjure Celestials
Divine Word
Plane Shift
Regenerate

Antimagic Field
Control Weather
Earthquake
Holy Aura

Foresight
Gate
Storm of Vengeance
True Resserrection

I gave the Invoker some healing but not much. They aren't going to be a dedicated healer, they are more about inflictiins than healing. I need to add a few spells to the list but I have a majority of the level 1 - 9 spells.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-13, 12:23 AM
One reserved post!

With the channel covenants I'm trying to make them balanced as if you took the warlock ability + later level invocation boosts. I'm not a fan on how they did that. I can keep all the Prayers the same power as each other or at least close and not have some to be automatic picks.
Nah, way too strong.

The prayers so far are based off utility spells from 4e. I'm going to keep them low key and give minor boosts in order to balance out the Covenant abilities which are a bit more extreme than the pact boons.

DiBastet
2015-02-13, 07:59 AM
You might want to add WIP to the title.