PDA

View Full Version : Slayer (Warhammer inspired) [Prc]

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-06, 09:29 AM
Slayer

Slayers are a bunch of wandering Dwarven exiles that travel the lands in search of glorious death. As a Slayer survives battles he reluctantly finds that he becomes steadily harder to kill. The Slayer replies this dilemma by finding ever more powerful opponents.
At 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th level the name of this class changes as the Slayer attains a new rank. It starts as Trollslayer.
Hit Dice: d12

Requirements

Base Save: At least one Base Saving throw bonus at +4.
Feats: Proficiency with Dwarven War Axe.
Race: Dwarf.
Special: Must have lost his honour and dyed his hair orange. Dwarves from all walks of lives can become slayers and the prerequisites are deliberately loose to allow this.

Class Skills

The Slayer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Survival (Wis) and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Slayer prestige class.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: A Slayer is proficient with all martial weapons.
Deathwish: All Slayers have a Deathwish. They are immune to all fear effects but cannot wear any form of armour or defensive magic items. If a Slayer dies in battle his soul is cleansed of any sins he may have committed in life.
Uncanny Dodge: At 1st level a Slayer gains the Uncanny Dodge ability. At 3rd level he gains Improved Uncanny Dodge.
Damage Reduction: At second level a Slayer’s skin toughens with scar tissue and continuous intoxication of alcohol start to have an effect. He gains Damage reduction 2/- and this ability improves by 2 at every even level.
Spell Resistance: At second level a Slayer gains Spell Resistance equal to 8 + his class level + his constitution modifier. If he already has spell resistance based on his character level then he instead merely adds his constitution modifier.
Trollslayer: From 1st level, the Slayer gains a bonus on damage rolls equal to the numerical value of their opponents Fast-healing or Regeneration abilities.
Fortune’s Curse: At 3rd level, the Slayer’s continued survival makes him start to believe that he is favoured by the gods. Which of course makes him want to face impossible odds even more. He gains a +2 luck bonus to all saving throws and armour class. In addition add the Slayer's class level to any percentage roll for wandering monsters.
Giantslayer: From 4th level, whenever a creature of at least large size attacks a Slayer, the Slayer gains a dodge bonus to his armour class equal to that creature’s strength bonus.
Mettle: At 5th level, a Slayer gains the mettle ability. At level 9 he gains Improved Mettle.
Too many to the head: From 5th level, the Slayer gains a penalty equal to his class level on all intelligence and wisdom based checks (apart from will saves). In return he gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against mind-effecting spells or effects.
Foolhardy Leap: At 6th level, a Slayer gains the ability to add twice his class level to any jump checks made as part of a charge, providing he could not harm his opponent without making a jump check. When using this ability Fall Damage gains the ability to bypass the Slayer’s damage reduction until the Slayer’s feet meet the ground again.
Dragonslayer: At 7th level, a Slayer gains energy resistance equal to the number of HD of the highest CR creature within 60 ft. of him.
Evasion: At 7th level, a slayer gains the Evasion ability. At 9th level he gains Improved Evasion.
Daemonslayer: At 10th level a slayer starts to look beyond the mortal world in search of enemies to kill him. Any weapon he wields or his unarmed attacks count simultaneously as Lawful, Chaotic, Good and Evil aligned weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

The Dwarven Slayer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1
|
+2
|
+0
|
+2
|Trollslayer, Deathwish, Uncanny Dodge

2nd|
+2
|
+3
|
+0
|
+3
|Damage Reduction 2/-, Spell Resistance

3rd|
+3
|
+3
|
+1
|
+2
|Fortune's Curse, Improved Uncanny Dodge

4th|
+4
|
+4
|
+1
|
+4
|Giantslayer, Damage Reduction 4/-

5th|
+5
|
+4
|
+1
|
+4
|Mettle, Too many to the head

6th|
+6
|
+5
|
+2
|
+5
|Damage Reduction 6/-, Foolhardy Leap

7th|
+7
|
+5
|
+2
|
+5
|Dragonslayer, Evasion

8th|
+8
|
+6
|
+2
|
+6
|Damage Reduction 8/-

9th|
+9
|
+6
|
+3
|
+6
|Improved Mettle, Improved Evasion

10th|
+10
|
+7
|
+3
|
+7
|Daemonslayer, Damage Reduction 10/-[/table]

Maerok
2007-04-06, 09:35 AM
I like. At first it seems overpowered and what not, but it comes with some interesting disadvantages as well. Reminds me, in theme, of the Deathdelver PrC in HoH. Especially since the sample NPC for that class was a dwarf.

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-06, 04:57 PM
Hmm. I always thought the progression of slayers was simply to seek out bigger and bigger opponents. In Warhammer, that meant Trolls -> Giants -> Drakes -> Daemons, but in D&D, you've also got a bunch of other big creatures in between. How I would end up doing a PrC like this would probably involve a bonus to creatures 1 size level larger, then 2 size levels, then 3, etc., all the way up to the top. Don't get me wrong, yours works, and works well--probably fitting the flavor of slayers even better than my example. This is just my musing on the nature of slayers.