PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to add specific spells to a druid's list of available spells?

kkplx
2015-02-13, 12:38 PM
Specifically I'd like to add create magic tattoo and divine insight to my druid's list of spells he can prepare and cast normally, using his own caster level - I haven't been able to find a way to do that so far, though.

Zaq
2015-02-13, 01:26 PM
Hack K: Religion onto your class list somehow (Knowledge Devotion is probably the cleanest way) and you can qualify for Contemplative (CDiv), if your desired spells are on any domain lists.

If the spells you want are PHB Cleric spells that aren't domain-only, Skypledged (Races of the Wild) will get you access by means of the Spellpool.

If by some hardcore shenanigans you qualify for Fiend-Blooded, from Heroes of Horror, it's the only "add a spell to your class list" PrC that doesn't specify that the list you add it to has to be arcane (Recaster and Wyrm Wizard have that problem). Of course, getting a Druid to qualify for Fiend-Blooded is going to be really, really hard, so I doubt you can pull it off without some moderately stinky cheese. And of course, Fiend-Blooded has that pesky rule that the spells added to your list must meet certain criteria, which I don't think the two spells you want meet.

Druids don't qualify for too many "hack new spells onto your list" classes, though. Probably a side effect of knowing every Druid spell in every book ever with literally no investment whatsoever. I can understand why WotC would assume that that would be enough for you.

EDIT: Just thought of another PrC. If you can qualify as having "1st level arcane spells" somehow (isn't there some FR feat that lets your spells count as both, or some such nonsense?), Unseen Seer (CM) will let you pick up a new divination spell, which I assume Divine Insight is.

kkplx
2015-02-13, 01:34 PM
Interesting choices, unfortunately the addition of the spells would have to happen via items or feats, as i wouldn't want to give up any druid levels for it.

It appears that I'l simply have to ask the party cleric/wizard to cast those for me. Thanks for the insight though, that's some interesting stuff :P

defiantdan
2015-02-13, 01:39 PM
Your spellcasting is your most important class feature. you can give up to 8 levels of wildshaping by grabbing the skin of kaletor and the wildshaping amulet. Your animal companion get's less useful the higher your level. after level 5 or 6 it's not as strong as the rest of your class features. Yes even a Fleshraker with venomfire. Another way is talk with your DM about Planar shepard. do any outsiders have those as SLA's or SU? I think the planetar would count since they cast like clerics. Pick a plane with planetars as native to it.

johnbragg
2015-02-13, 01:40 PM
(Shenanigans)

If that's the level of op-fu required, I think most DMs would rather just let you take Expanded Knowledge as a feat or two.

nedz
2015-02-13, 01:59 PM
Prestige Paladin can get you Divine Insight, I'm not sure about the tattoo though — do you have a source for that please ?

eggynack
2015-02-13, 02:00 PM
Interesting choices, unfortunately the addition of the spells would have to happen via items or feats, as i wouldn't want to give up any druid levels for it.
Giving up druid levels isn't the best, but if you keep the number of levels lost low, you can end up in a pretty good place. You're going to be just about fine if you give up only two levels, which works well with my preferred combo, which is holt warden and contemplative, because holt warden gets knowledge (religion) on your list and an extra set of slots to put contemplative domain spells in. Only issue is, there's not apparently a domain for these spells. Create magic tattoo is just wizard/sorcerer, which makes it easy enough to pick up with the spell domain (pretty much the best choice in general), but divine insight is straight up cleric and paladin, so anyspell doesn't help much. I guess you also get limited wish, which can pull off divine insight, but that's a pretty craptactular solution.

johnbragg
2015-02-13, 02:36 PM
Giving up druid levels isn't the best, but if you keep the number of levels lost low, you can end up in a pretty good place. You're going to be just about fine if you give up only two levels, which works well with my preferred combo, which is holt warden and contemplative, because holt warden gets knowledge (religion) on your list and an extra set of slots to put contemplative domain spells in. Only issue is, there's not apparently a domain for these spells. Create magic tattoo is just wizard/sorcerer, which makes it easy enough to pick up with the spell domain (pretty much the best choice in general), but divine insight is straight up cleric and paladin, so anyspell doesn't help much. I guess you also get limited wish, which can pull off divine insight, but that's a pretty craptactular solution.

If you're giving up 2 levels of Druid, wouldn't Druid 18/Wizard 1/Cleric 1 give you the most bang for the buck? Every 0th and 1st-level spell in the book, or more exactly in all the books?

nedz
2015-02-13, 02:46 PM
If you're giving up 2 levels of Druid, wouldn't Druid 18/Wizard 1/Cleric 1 give you the most bang for the buck? Every 0th and 1st-level spell in the book, or more exactly in all the books?

Possibly, though the spells the OP wants are higher level than that.

eggynack
2015-02-13, 03:15 PM
I'm pretty doubtful that that would be better. The build I'm proposing picks up the spell domain, which means broad access to all wizard spells below a certain level, and even if that were just all wizard spells up to second, which is granted by anyspell, you're probably getting more versatility than all wizard and cleric 0th's and 1st's. Of course, what you actually get from the spell domain is better than that to a ridiculous degree, and you're even comparing way favorably along the spells/day axis due to holt warden. I can't really come up with all that many advantages held by the wizard/cleric when compared to that stuff.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-13, 05:09 PM
Buy the party cleric a wand of divine insight.

Create magic tattoo is useful, but the effects depend on both caster level and a craft check. This gets skill-expensive. Esp for the good tattoos like the +1CL one. And it means a wand won't be much good, unless you can special order one from a very high level caster (not usually allowed) who makes the skill-check as the wand is created. I doubt that's rules-legal.