PDA

View Full Version : Initiate of Nature

Max Caysey
2015-02-13, 12:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me wether or not a level 6 wood elf druid, who venerates Rillifane Rallathil is elegiable for the Initiate of Nature feat?

Red Fel
2015-02-13, 01:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me wether or not a level 6 wood elf druid, who venerates Rillifane Rallathil is elegiable for the Initiate of Nature feat?

By RAW? No. Initiate of Nature requires you to be a member of the church of Eldath, Mielikki, or Silvanus. They're Faerun-exclusive deities (as you would expect for a feat from PGtF). Rillifane is not, to my knowledge, Faerunian. Also, note that Eldath, Mielikki, and Silvanus are all - if memory serves - race-neutral deities, whereas Rillifane is specifically Elven.

That said, would I allow it? Probably. Rillifane resembles Eldath in many ways, including alignment and temperament. And not every campaign takes place in Faerun.

But by RAW? No, you have to revere one of those three.

Max Caysey
2015-02-13, 02:09 PM
By RAW? No. Initiate of Nature requires you to be a member of the church of Eldath, Mielikki, or Silvanus. They're Faerun-exclusive deities (as you would expect for a feat from PGtF). Rillifane is not, to my knowledge, Faerunian. Also, note that Eldath, Mielikki, and Silvanus are all - if memory serves - race-neutral deities, whereas Rillifane is specifically Elven.

That said, would I allow it? Probably. Rillifane resembles Eldath in many ways, including alignment and temperament. And not every campaign takes place in Faerun.

But by RAW? No, you have to revere one of those three.

I got the elven deity from realmshelp.net, specifically to get a faerunian deity. The thing is, it says cleric or druid, and even though is says that a specific patron is needed I seem to remember that only cleric chose a patron.

Red Fel
2015-02-13, 02:19 PM
I got the elven deity from realmshelp.net, specifically to get a faerunian deity. The thing is, it says cleric or druid, and even though is says that a specific patron is needed I seem to remember that only cleric chose a patron.

As I understand it, those three nature deities also allow Druids to be involved in their church goings-on. Additionally, don't forget that in Faerun, you need to have a patron deity irrespective of whether you're a Cleric, or else bad things happen to you.

Technically, any PC can have a patron deity; only Clerics (and certain others, with the right feats/ACFs) get a specific benefit from doing so. But everyone can choose a patron, particularly in Faerun.

Point is, by RAW, you need to be a Cleric or Druid, and you need to have Eldath, Mielikki or Silvanus as your patron. If the campaign takes place in Faerun, I see no reason to refluff the feat to allow for yet another nature deity - you have three perfectly good ones already. If, on the other hand, it's not an FR campaign, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask to have the three patrons replaced with a suitable local counterpart.

Max Caysey
2015-02-13, 02:43 PM
As I understand it, those three nature deities also allow Druids to be involved in their church goings-on. Additionally, don't forget that in Faerun, you need to have a patron deity irrespective of whether you're a Cleric, or else bad things happen to you.

Technically, any PC can have a patron deity; only Clerics (and certain others, with the right feats/ACFs) get a specific benefit from doing so. But everyone can choose a patron, particularly in Faerun.

Point is, by RAW, you need to be a Cleric or Druid, and you need to have Eldath, Mielikki or Silvanus as your patron. If the campaign takes place in Faerun, I see no reason to refluff the feat to allow for yet another nature deity - you have three perfectly good ones already. If, on the other hand, it's not an FR campaign, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask to have the three patrons replaced with a suitable local counterpart.

Thanks...

I am the DM, so I think I will allow the druid to take this feat at level 6, even though he has the other deity. I checked he is a Faeruniean intermediate deity of the elven pantheon the seldarine.

nedz
2015-02-13, 04:31 PM
By RAW the feat is setting specific — so it's only available in Faerun. I see no problem in adapting this to another setting — though technically it is a houserule, it's the minor sort which a DM should apply routinely anyway — IMHO at least.

Max Caysey
2015-02-13, 04:37 PM
By RAW the feat is setting specific — so it's only available in Faerun. I see no problem in adapting this to another setting — though technically it is a houserule, it's the minor sort which a DM should apply routinely anyway — IMHO at least.

Indeed... We do play in Faerun, so its an even smaller house ruling i guess.