PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other MOAR Skill Synergies?

johnbragg
2015-02-13, 01:02 PM
Should there be more skill synergies? As in a lot more?

I'm thinking that the typical NPC that the PCs interact with--elite craftsman or library-wizards or town mayors or friendly-neighborhood-priests that the PCs interact (not counting hired-spellcasters, obviously) should be 2nd or 3rd level, with max ranks in the relevant skill, +2 for ability, Skill Focus, plus masterwork tools and an apprentice, which totals up to a +14 on the check. I think that's solid for a decent-sized town's master craftsman or sage or whatever; or in a big city a senior-journeyman that handles walk-in clients with big sacks of spendable cash. I think that a professional in favorable conditions (his expensive, well-supplied workshop and well-trained apprentice or two, not under ticking-bomb time pressure) should be able to meet "Formidable" (DC 25) challenges in their field. (That matches a murderhobo-PC at 7th level, figuring 10 ranks and +4 for ability, without the time to arrange masterwork equipment or apprentices etc)

Should the "typical" elite NPC Expert be able to specialize by maxxing two skills, and get a synergy bonus? My gut says yes--this guy is the top horse-breeder or weaponsmith or fine-tailor or arcana-sage or whatever in the local area. Or at least a recognized guild-member in a big city. The books say that Profession/Craft is either-or, but I could see letting characters "double-down" and take both, effectively spending 5 skill points to bump their main check by 2.

I know that a lot of people feel that NPCs should have a check of "Yes" or "No" because of Plot-Over-Dice, but I like to have their capability statted out for my own reference. I can always go with taking 10 over rolling if I want DM fiat, or just override the numbers if I don't like them. (But I like this sort of thing for worldbuilding.)

How much could PCs abuse this? My gut says "not much"--there are plenty of ways for a PC to boost a skill check, with varying levels of cheese, and optimizing skill checks is not terribly OP anyway.

MrNobody
2015-02-13, 02:05 PM
One thing that has ever bugged me is the lack of synergies between Knowledge, Craft and Profession.

Just few examples. Knowledge (architecture and engineering) gives you lore about buildings and such: if you have 5 ranks in it you should have your synergy in Craft or Profession (anything linked to building).
Knowledge (local) gives you lore about laws and traditions: if you have 5 ranks in it you should have your synergy in Profession (Lawyer and such). Knowledge (dungeoneering) gives lore about caves and underground places: 5 ranks in it should give you synergy to Profession (miner).

I think that introducing this kind of new synergies will help build up high specialized NPC. PC will ever have advantage on them (a wizard that knows fabricate and a few ranks in Craft skills could be better and faster than a specialized Expert) but gives more "realism", flavour and options to NPCs!

johnbragg
2015-02-13, 02:25 PM
One thing that has ever bugged me is the lack of synergies between Knowledge, Craft and Profession.

Just few examples. Knowledge (architecture and engineering) gives you lore about buildings and such: if you have 5 ranks in it you should have your synergy in Craft or Profession (anything linked to building).
Knowledge (local) gives you lore about laws and traditions: if you have 5 ranks in it you should have your synergy in Profession (Lawyer and such). Knowledge (dungeoneering) gives lore about caves and underground places: 5 ranks in it should give you synergy to Profession (miner).

I think that introducing this kind of new synergies will help build up high specialized NPC. PC will ever have advantage on them (a wizard that knows fabricate and a few ranks in Craft skills could be better and faster than a specialized Expert) but gives more "realism", flavour and options to NPCs!

So that's one vote for "yes." Low-level PCs should be hiring elite Experts, (or PC-classed experts) even if they have the same skill, because the PCs are spending their skill points on Spot and Bluff and Sense Motive, optimizing for dungeon- and adventure-survival, while the people with day jobs are optimizing to be good at their jobs. (Not everyone is optimizing to be good at their jobs, but the PCs aren't hiring the armorsmith with a +0 Int, +0 Wis and Toughness for their feat, they're hiring the guy with the +15 modifier at 2nd level because he has the reputation.). EDIT: Of course I also house-rule that there are no cross-class skills after 1st level--if you've encountered or experienced or logically could learn it, it's in-class. "Class skills" are only a thing at 1st level.