PDA

View Full Version : whats a good gestalt combo that uses the clawlock

Nosta
2015-02-13, 01:28 PM
i want to build a clawlock in a gestalt game but not sure what the second class should be.
I want one that i can deal a good amount of damage with at least 50 to 90 a turn
all 3.5 3.0 and DrM allowed

Necroticplague
2015-02-13, 01:39 PM
Psychic Warrior with tashlatora to beef up your rip-faces-off skills would probably work decently.

Hazrond
2015-02-13, 01:50 PM
I would go Binder, its a very good passive class to fit with the active warlock class in my opinion and it is dripping with flavor, demon-pact making warlock combined with the taboo heresy of summoning and making pacts with vestiges just fits so well

Red Fel
2015-02-13, 01:51 PM
Seconding PsyWar with Tasha. You need a Monk's unarmed progression to make the Clawlock super-effective, and PsyWar + Tasha (with a quick Monk dip, obviously) does it in spades.

Another option is to splice in Warblade, grab Punishing Stance and Stormguard Warrior, and go to town. Also, a dip of Whirling Frenzy Barbarian might be nice, assuming you can use Eldritch Claws while raging.

defiantdan
2015-02-13, 02:00 PM
gestalt it with a the king of smack maybe?

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 02:07 PM
I'd go Warshaper. It's exactly the kind of awesome thing that you'd love to be able to pair with a Clawlock in a normal game, but it only really works in gestalt since it doesn't advance your casting. It's totally sweet, though.

You could even pull the old CE Tibbit Soulborn trick and be an innocent housecat until you pounce and dump a ginormous bucket of damage dice on the table.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-02-13, 02:10 PM
Fighter 2 (even 4) is a good option since Clawlocks are somewhat feat intensive and the extra BAB helps to get Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike, though I personally prefer going with Beast strike since it doesn't lock you into some races.

Edit: Another option I would consider is going wizard/sorc for access to GMW

Grod_The_Giant
2015-02-13, 02:25 PM
Totemist is a great choice for getting more natural weapons. You'll probably want the usual shot of barbarian for pounce, too.

Nosta
2015-02-13, 02:35 PM
I'd go Warshaper. It's exactly the kind of awesome thing that you'd love to be able to pair with a Clawlock in a normal game, but it only really works in gestalt since it doesn't advance your casting. It's totally sweet, though.

You could even pull the old CE Tibbit Soulborn trick and be an innocent housecat until you pounce and dump a ginormous bucket of damage dice on the table.
can you explain to this build. i'm still new to the game and only now some lingo

Fouredged Sword
2015-02-13, 02:37 PM
I would go outside the box a bit. A Clawlock is a good solid base class only build that can be a little squishy, so lets pair it with a PRC based monstrosity that makes it impossible to kill.

Wizard 5 / Ruthar 3 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7

With an AC of YES and veils and long term buffs to say no to anything you can be immune to, you can laugh at everything while clawing them to pieces.

Answer to the above question

Tibits are a LA 0 shapeshifter race. They turn into housecats.

Warshaper is a really nice shapeshifter PRC that makes you immune to critical hits, grants +4 to str and con, and grants fast healing, but advances little else.

Warlock 8 // barbarian 2 / fighter 2 / warshaper 4 is a valid build that is nice and tough. Extra rage means you can rage 3/day.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 02:50 PM
can you explain to this build. i'm still new to the game and only now some lingo

Warshaper is a prestige class from Complete Warrior that is only available to characters with the ability to change shape, like with wildshape or polymorph or being a werewolf. It gives you a selection of powerful abilities that only work while you are in your shapeshifted form, including fast healing, extra reach, immunity to critical hits, a bonus to Str and Con, and the ability to grow new natural weapons at will. The last of these is notoriously dysfunctional, as it doesn't specify a limit to the number of natural weapons you can grow, so as written you could sprout an unlimited number of tentacles--check with your DM about how it will be adjudicated. In any case, it's an excellent class for melee fighters.

Tibbit is a shapeshifting race from Dragon Compendium that can turn into a housecat at will. This applies a large penalty to Strength, however. The CE Tibbit Soulborn trick is when you take two levels of Soulborn (from Magic of Incarnum) which, if you are Chaotic Evil, allows you to ignore any penalty to your Strength, so you can be a combat monster in cat form. I brought it up because the natural shapeshifting of a Tibbit makes it easy for them to qualify as a Warshaper and keep the benefits of it all day long. If you prefer, you could also do it as a Changeling with their disguise ability.

Kaje
2015-02-13, 02:52 PM
the ability to grow new natural weapons at will. The last of these is notoriously dysfunctional, as it doesn't specify a limit to the number of natural weapons you can grow, so as written you could sprout an unlimited number of tentacles

Grr. No. You can grow only one of each kind of natural weapon.

Troacctid
2015-02-13, 03:01 PM
Grr. No. You can grow only one of each kind of natural weapon.

...an interpretation that results in a claw, bite, gore, slam, tentacle, sting, slap, and talon, for seven extra attacks. And you can grow those attacks as many times as you like so that they all deal colossal damage. Still very powerful.

Kaje
2015-02-13, 03:07 PM
No one's denying that. People misinterpreting that ability is just one of my pet peeves.

Fouredged Sword
2015-02-13, 03:09 PM
ORRRRR you can be somewhat balanced and rational and apply the non-stacking rules to read it as you gain one iteration of the effect that you lose when you attempt to apply a second, meaning ONE new weapon OR ONE weapon increased in size.

Kaje
2015-02-13, 03:10 PM
Never mind. Turns out that guy's denying it.

thethird
2015-02-13, 03:12 PM
Seconding PsyWar with Tasha. You need a Monk's unarmed progression to make the Clawlock super-effective, and PsyWar + Tasha (with a quick Monk dip, obviously) does it in spades.

Thirding it. Hey I'm thethird what did you expect?

Sam K
2015-02-13, 03:30 PM
Do you want anything else out of the build, or should the second gestalt just be to improve your clawlock damage dealing?

Prime32
2015-02-13, 03:37 PM
i want to build a clawlock in a gestalt game but not sure what the second class should be.
I want one that i can deal a good amount of damage with at least 50 to 90 a turn
all 3.5 3.0 and DrM allowedUnarmed swordsage, with the Beast Strike feat if possible.

You have higher unarmed damage, increasing your claw damage. Your Tiger Claw maneuvers let you make extra claw attacks per round. Your Shadow Hand teleports can be combined with flee the scene to enable multiple shadowpounces per turn, if you choose to enter one of those PrCs.