PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gathering Thoughts for a Project: New D&D Weapon Mechanics (Edition Uncertain)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-13, 02:55 PM
Hello again, GiantitP!

Hi! It's me. Djinn_in_Tonic. Some of you may remember me: some may not! Either way, it's been a loooong time since I last posted here. D&D 5e intrigues me greatly (it resembles a number of half-built systems lying in pieces on my desktop, actually!), and its introduction seems a good chance to do some homebrewing again. So here I am, asking for a little community input on an idea I had years ago, and am still somewhat attached to.

I've long had issue with the fact that weapons are, usually, picked for their damage statistics rather than the player's enjoyment of the weapon. For example: third edition saw an enormous number of shortsword, longsword, and greatswords users, largely due to the reliability of the damage these weapons could deal. I consider this a flaw of the system, as I think weapon choice should say something about how you fight, rather than which sword gives you the largest damage boost at any given point of time.

So I'm dabbling in a simplified weapon system that makes weapon abilities -- not weapon statistics -- the distinguishing point between weapons, and I'm interested in seeing the community reaction to know whether or not this is a system I should really dive into.

Anyway, let's get started!

The Basics

So: the biggest initial change is how damage is dealt. Instead of being based on the weapon itself, your damage is based on the weapon's size (light or heavy) and your proficiency with the weapon. This means that, everything else being equal, your warhammer, your greataxe, and your greatsword will all do equal damage, provided you are equally proficient in all of them.

How do we distinguish weapons then? Weapon Abilities.

Now these are in a fairly early alpha, so don't assume the numbers or abilities are anything close to final. Again, I'm gathering thoughts on the concept, not necessarily the specifics.

Here are a few to get you started. To begin with, weapons are either Light (one hand), Heavy (two hands), or Flexible (can use either the Light or Heavy version depending on the hands you're using).

Double-Ended: Either +1 Armor Class or +1 to attacks, selectable each turn.
Off-Hand: Either +1 to Armor Class or +1 to damage, selectable each turn when you attack with a different weapon.
Reliable: Re-roll damage below the given value.
Reach: Can hit targets +5ft away during your attack action.
Swift: Can be drawn as a bonus action.
Hidden: Gain advantage on your first attack with the weapon during a combat if you drew it that round.

Additionally, all weapons get one of the following qualities:

Precise: Use Dexterity for to-hit and damage.
Brutal: Use Strength for to-hit and damage.
Versatile: Choose Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.

So a final weapon might look something like these:

Wrist Daggers
Light Precise Simple Weapon
Swift, hidden, off-hand

Design Notes: Designed to be hidden until the second round of combat, the Wrist Dagger can grant an easy Sneak Attack on one attack (being used as the primary weapon), and then either give an AC or +1 damage boost for subsequent rounds it remains drawn.

Quarterstaff
Heavy Versatile Simple Weapon
On your turn, select either reach or double-ended. You gain the benefits of that quality for quarterstaff attacks until the beginning of your next turn.

Design Notes: A very flexible weapon: it either increases your ability to hit, your ability to defend, or lets you hit further opponents if need be. This is made up for by the requirement for only one of those abilities to be active during a given round.

Mace
Flexible Brutal Simple Weapon
Light: Mace attacks you make get reliable 2.
Heavy: Mace attacks you make get mighty blow and reliable 2.
Other Names: Warhammer, Club

Design Notes: An example of a weapon with multiple forms that serves to fill multiple fantasy tropes. The light version sacrifices a bit of damage and the mighty blow feature in exchange for the ability to wield a shield or an off-hand weapon.

So there you have the very basics of how this system might work out. Do these feel distinct enough? Do they need to be differentiated more? Do you even like the idea of choosing weapons for their secondary effects, and damage being tied to a fighter's general fighting skill? Thoughts / comments / concerns / new weapon ideas are all appreciated!

Submortimer
2015-02-13, 05:49 PM
This is really interesting, and functionally pretty similar to how weapons work in 5e right now. How much base damage does a weapon do? does everything just hit for a d6 or a d8?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-13, 05:59 PM
This is really interesting, and functionally pretty similar to how weapons work in 5e right now. How much base damage does a weapon do? does everything just hit for a d6 or a d8?

Exact values have yet to be determined. I'll probably end up going with something like this:

Non-Proficient Light Weapon: 1d4
Non-Proficient Heavy Weapon: 1d8

Proficient Light Weapon: 1d6
Proficient Heavy Weapon: 1d10

This also opens up the option to have specialization in a weapon increase the damage to 1d8 / 1d12 for Light / Heavy weapons, if we feel that weapon specialization is a good thing to keep around.

Submortimer
2015-02-13, 06:16 PM
I do like that quite a bit. One of the things that I think is a downside in 5e is the overall lack of variety with weapons, and there doesn't seem to be much of a push to expand out and make exotics.

Ralcos
2015-02-13, 10:36 PM
I like this idea, and I have a question that could possibly expand it:

Is it at all possible to add nonmagical abilities to this system (limited to one, to keep consistency), to emulate certain abilities.

Also, the comment on the push towards Exotic Weapons gives me an idea......

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-13, 11:14 PM
Is it at all possible to add nonmagical abilities to this system (limited to one, to keep consistency), to emulate certain abilities.

Can you give an example? I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

If you're talking in the realms of 4e at-will powers unique to the weapon...an older draft did indeed to that. In fact, at one point weapons had three unique abilities, one unlocked with each level of proficiency. Got a little complicated though, and it was challenging to balance that many abilities.

Also, the comment on the push towards Exotic Weapons gives me an idea......

I have a few ideas in that direction: Exotic weapons are built on the same framework, but with some benefits to actually be worth the cost. Some initial exotic weapon thoughts:

Flame Mace
Light or Heavy Brutal Exotic Weapon
Light: This weapon has reliable 1.
Heavy: This weapon has mighty blow and reliable 2.
Special: When lit, a Flame Mace burns for 1 hour, giving off light as a torch. When lit, you deal +2 fire damage and your critical hits ignite (minor) the target.

Designer's Note: Ignite (minor) is for a variation rules set I'm working on. It basically translates to "deals 3 fire damage each round, with a Dexterity save allowed at the end of the round to remove the effect."

Spiked Chain
Heavy Versatile Exotic Weapon
This weapon has reach and double-ended.
Special: You gain a +1 weapon bonus when making a trip attack.
Special: You may sacrifice both reach and double-ended until the beginning of your next turn. If you do, make an additional melee attack against a second adjacent target.

The idea is that, for the cost of a feat, you get an increase in damage and a bonus rider effect. For the flame mace this is simple: you get a static damage bonus, and a nifty on-crit effect. The spiked chain gives you a different edge: your single target damage doesn't increase, but it opens up new avenues of attacks.

Argothair
2015-02-14, 01:32 PM
Sounds interesting. I would reverse the 1d6 and 1d8 dice -- better to swing with a smaller weapon youre proficient at than a heavy one youre uncomfortable with.

What's "mighty blow"?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-14, 02:14 PM
Sounds interesting. I would reverse the 1d6 and 1d8 dice -- better to swing with a smaller weapon youre proficient at than a heavy one youre uncomfortable with.

What's "mighty blow"?

Interesting point on the first part. Something to consider, definitely.

Also, I totally forgot I didn't include mighty blow. It's probably because it introduces a new mechanic: Heroic Saves.

A Heroic Save is something that PCs and major NPCs get. It allows them to spend a Heroic Save use to make a save against something that doesn't normally allow one. Mighty blow reads "On a successful critical hit, the target is stunned for one round (Heroic Strength Save to resist). It effective makes crits auto-stun any non-major NPC level opponent, but prevents crit-locking legendary single opponents or other major NPCs.

Ralcos
2015-02-14, 04:33 PM
Well, it seems that you understand what I was trying to ask, but it still seems that clarifications are in order.

What I was asking was if this system was versatile enough to perform non-magical maneuvers when proficient in said weapons.

E.g. (written in normal 5e rules, with the additional rules)

The Rope Dart (I would have used the asian name, but I'm away from research right now)
Martial Weapon
Damage: 1d6 Piercing
Value: 10 go
SPECIAL: Has the Light and Finesse Keywords. Can use the Scorpion's Sting Maneuver, as long as wielder is proficient in the Rope Dart.

Scorpion's Sting
As a Bonus Action, you can change the reach of your melee attack between 5 ft., 10 ft., and 15 ft. of reach. After this action is taken, the attack's reach stays until another Bonus Action is taken to change the Rope Dart's reach.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-02-14, 05:18 PM
What I was asking was if this system was versatile enough to perform non-magical maneuvers when proficient in said weapons.

Absolutely!

In fact, let me show you one of the original conceptions for the project to show you the potential flexibility here.

First, a few notes on this. It ran off a mechanic called Opening, which was designed to make martial combat a little more interesting without limiting it to at-will abilities. Your base Opening roll was a d6, d8, d10, or d12 depending on your proficiency with the weapon, plus a value depending on your class (and a few other possible additions, such as abilities that create opening opportunities).

At the start of your turn you would roll an Opening Roll to determine what sort of attack options you had available (to prevent attack spamming, you could only use an ability with an equal or lower opening).

Ignore most of the special text: Martial Offense is basically just an attack, attacks vs. Dexterity and so forth were different forms of defenses...this is more to show you the original concept rather than the exact rules.

Also note that I decided this was much too complicate to be practical.

Rapier
Basic: Dexterity vs. Dexterity (+Dexterity, Slash/Thrust)
Hands: 1
Weight: 2 lbs. (1 kg)
Cost: ??

Deep Wound (Thrust)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 3
Target 1 creature or object within reach
Offense Dexterity vs. Dexterity
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Dexterity modifier Martial damage. The target gains persistent 1 (bleeding) for 1 round.

Lunging Strike (Thrust)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 3
Target 1 creature or object within reach + 1 square (5 feet/1.5 meters)
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Dexterity modifier Martial damage.
Benefit You may take a 1 square (5 foot/1.5 meter) Adjustment towards your target.

Piercing Thrust (Thrust)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 6
Offense Dexterity, Intellect, or Perception vs. Dexterity
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Dexterity modifier Martial damage. You deal additional damage equal to either your Intellect or Perception modifier (up to a maximum equal to your target's Martial Resistance).
Benefit Your opponent suffers a -1 penalty to Martial Resistance against your attacks for 1 round.

Disengaging Attack (Thrust)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 9
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Dexterity modifier Martial damage. Until the end of your next turn you gain a stacking +1 Power bonus to your Opening against the target of this attack.
Miss Make an Martial Offense Roll against the target (Dexterity vs. Perception). If successful, you deal 1d8 + Character Level + Dexterity modifier Martial damage.

Perfect Form (Stance)
Move--Martial, Melee
Opening 12
Target personal
Benefit Until the beginning of your next turn, you may make an immediate free reaction Basic attack with a rapier against any creature that attempts a melee Martial Offense against you. If your attack hits you gain a stacking +2 Power bonus to all Defenses against the incoming attack.

Quarterstaff
Basic: Strength or Dexterity vs. Dexterity (+Strength, Bash/Thrust)
Hands: 2
Weight: 4 lbs. (2 kg)
Cost: ??

Forceful Thrust (Thrust)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 3
Target 1 creature or object within reach + 1 square (5 feet/1.5 meters)
Offense Strength or Dexterity vs. Dexterity
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Strength modifier Martial damage. You may Push the target 1 square (5 feet/1.5 meters).

Defensive Sweep (Bash)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 3
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Dexterity modifier Martial damage.
Benefit You gain a +1 Power bonus to all Defenses against the next Martial Offense against you this turn.

Twofold Strike (Bash/Thrust)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 6
Target 1 or 2 creatures or objects within reach
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Strength modifier Martial damage.
Miss If you target only a single creature and your attack misses, you may make a Basic Attack as a free action.

Whirling Staff (Bash/Thrust)
Standard--Martial, Melee
Opening 9
Target any number of adjacent creatures or objects
Effect 1d8 + Character Level + Strength modifier Martial damage.
Miss If you miss a creature with an attack, your next successful Offense Roll as part of this action deals +1 damage. If you miss every target, you fall prone.

Hurricane of Staves (Stance)
Move--Martial, Melee, Swift
Opening 12
Target personal
Benefit Until the beginning of your next turn, you gain Reach +1 (5 feet/1.5 meters). Any time until the beginning of your next turn that you take an Opportunity Action and hit with a Basic Attack, you also knock your opponent prone.

So it would be easy to combine the two. Even if it was as simple as a single power for proficiency, or 1-2 basic attack options, along with an additional one for proficiency, and another one for mastery.

There's a LOT of flexibility in this system. I just have to find the right balance for complexity. Hence bringing it here. :smallbiggrin:

Argothair
2015-02-16, 07:39 PM
Djinn_in_Tonic, I very much like your attempt to let players pick weapons with secondary effects that interest them, instead of being pressured to pick a weapon that (often arbitrarily) provides a larger damage die. I think for the most part, the abilities and weapons are very well differentiated (the only exception is Off-Hand and Double-ended, which I think are confusingly similar). Please keep going with this; this is a really cool project.

However, I'm concerned that the specific direction you're going with this project is much closer to D&D 4e than D&D 5e. In particular, you have a lot of abilities with 'nested' definitions: to understand what 'mighty blow' does, you have to understand what it means to be 'stunned' and what it means to suffer a 'critical hit', but to understand how critical hits work, you also have to understand how heroic saves work, but to understand how a heroic save works, you also need to know how a regular strength save works... so now I need to know five rules just to understand one feature on one weapon. Some people thrive on that kind of rule-complexity, but I dislike it because it slows the game down and makes it harder for new players to learn.

For similar reasons, I think the double-ended and off-hand abilities should not offer you a choice of bonuses each turn -- I'm already making a choice about which weapon to wield, and then I can think about which of its abilities are going to come into play on a given turn -- I don't then want to have to drill down into a third layer about which half of an ability I want to activate each turn. It's fine if a quarterstaff gives me both reach and +1 to AC, but my advice is to just let it rest there -- don't keep adding layers of additional complexity.

Finally, I would just refer to STR weapons, DEX weapons, and STR/DEX weapons. I think talking about brutal or precise weapons adds more confusion than it's worth. If you say a "STR weapon," and I've played any version of D&D, WoW, Diablo, etc., then I know exactly what you mean. If you say "a brutal weapon," then I have to look up your definition for brutal before I know what you mean.

Off the top of my head, an idea for another weapon in your system:

Steel Halberd
Heavy Martial STR weapon
Reach: you can attack enemies up to 10 feet away from you
Reinforced: attempts to sunder this weapon are made at disadvantage
Blade Catcher: if an enemy misses you with a melee attack while you are holding this weapon, you may use your reaction to attempt to disarm that enemy.

SangoProduction
2015-02-26, 01:04 AM
Very interesting. However, these aren't numbers that the system is designed in mind with. I will have no problems what so ever in adapting them to my game as I am much more flexible than most, but quite a few, from what I've seen, like to have monsters straight out of the book, or completely static, unchanging monsters, and this would screw with them. (And I am fine with that, lol...)

Master Elodin
2015-02-28, 10:24 AM
I hope you don't mind, but I really love where you are going with this and I have an IRL 5e game I'll be DMing in a week or so, so I ran with your concept, made a few changes of my own and from the suggestions on this thread. So, I thought I'd share what I have so far. Like you said, the numbers aren't exactly final and I've not made all the weapons just yet, but I think its beginning to take shape. Sorry if there is poor formatting, there was a lot of text to deal with so I didn't bother bolding keywords.

To begin with, weapons are either:

Light (one hand)
Heavy (two hands)
Versatile (depending on the hands you're using, deals light damage one-handed or one damage die higher for two hands)

DEX: Use Dexterity for to-hit and damage.
STR: Use Strength for to-hit and damage.
STR/DEX: Choose Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.

Then, a weapon can feature any number of the following abilities:

Blade-catcher: When a melee weapon attack against you fails, you may use your reaction to make a disarm attempt against the enemy.
Brutal: A critical hit with this weapon stuns the enemy for 1 turn.
Double-Weapon: Can be used as if it were two off-hand light weapons for purpose of two-weapon fighting and damage dice.
Hacking: Each successful attack with this weapon lowers the target's AC by 1 until the start of your next turn.
Hidden: Gain advantage on your first attack with the weapon during a combat if you drew it that round.
Keen: This weapon scores a critical hit on a roll of a 19 or 20.
Momentum: When you miss an enemy with an attack with this weapon, you may attack an adjacent enemy within your reach with the same weapon as a bonus action.
Off-Hand: Either a +1 to Armor Class if not used to attack or can be used as an additional attack for two-weapon fighting, chosen each turn.
Parrying: This weapon allows you to use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for the purpose of one melee Attack made against you. You may use this ability after the attack is rolled but before damage.
Reliable: Re-roll damage dice results of 1.
Superior: The damage die of this weapon increases by one stage. For example, 1d6 becomes 1d8, and 1d12 becomes 2d6.
Thrown: This weapon can be thrown the indicated distance.

Weapon damage is worked out as follows:

Light Weapon: 1d6
Versatile Weapon in two hands: 1d8
Heavy Weapon: 1d10

Masterwork: Finally, Masterwork weapons function differently. A masterwork weapon uses a damage die one tier higher (e.g. a d10 becomes a d12). In addition to this, a master weaponsmith can make a masterwork weapon with additional abilities and effects through special techniques and materials. For example, a weapon could be made serrated, or made with mithral or even dragon bone.

Daggers
Light STR/DEX Simple Weapon
Off-hand
There are six main types of dagger, each with different properties:

Wrist/ Punch Dagger (Piercing): Hidden
Curved Dagger/ Janbiya (Slashing): Keen
Dirk (Piercing): Superior
Parrying dagger (Piercing): On a turn when you do not attack with this weapon, gain Parrying
Notched Dagger/ Sai (Slashing): On a turn when you do not attack with this weapon, gain Blade-catcher
Throwing Dagger (Piercing): Thrown (20/60)

Quarterstaff
Heavy STR/DEX Simple Weapon (Bludgeoning)
On your turn, when you attack, select either:

Reach or
Double-weapon.

You gain the benefits of that quality for quarterstaff attacks until the end of your turn.

Mace, Club
Light STR Simple Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Reliable

Heavy Mace, Great Club
Heavy STR Simple Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Reliable

Warhammer
Versatile STR Martial Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Brutal
Can be used with a Light Hammer for two-weapon fighting, ignoring the ruling that both weapons must be "Light Off-hand" weapons.

Greathammer/ Maul
Heavy STR Martial Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Brutal, Momentum

Scimitar
Light STR/DEX Martial Weapon (Slashing)
Keen

Falchion
Heavy STR Martial Weapon (Slashing)
Keen

Short Sword
Light STR Martial Weapon (Slashing or Piercing)
Off-hand

Longsword
Versatile STR Martial Weapon (Slashing)
Superior
Can be used with a Short Sword for two-weapon fighting, ignoring the ruling that both weapons must be "Light Off-hand" weapons.

Greatsword
Heavy STR Martial weapon (Slashing)
Superior, Momentum

Rapier
Light DEX Martial Weapon (Piercing)
Keen
When wielded in one hand with nothing in your off-hand, a rapier gains Parrying.

Handaxe / Light Hammer
Light STR Simple Weapon (Slashing / Bludgeoning)
Off-hand, Thrown (20/60)

Spear
Versatile STR Simple Weapon (Piercing)
Thrown (20/60)
A Spear held in two hands (as a heavy weapon) gains Reach but still only does Light weapon damage.

Javelin
Light STR Simple Weapon (Piercing)
Thrown (30/120)

Battleaxe
Hacking
Can be used with a Hand Axe for two-weapon fighting, ignoring the ruling that both weapons must be "Light Off-hand" weapons.

Greataxe
Hacking, Momentum

Ralcos
2015-02-28, 07:29 PM
I hope you don't mind, but I really love where you are going with this and I have an IRL 5e game I'll be DMing in a week or so, so I ran with your concept, made a few changes of my own and from the suggestions on this thread. So, I thought I'd share what I have so far. Like you said, the numbers aren't exactly final and I've not made all the weapons just yet, but I think its beginning to take shape. Sorry if there is poor formatting, there was a lot of text to deal with so I didn't bother bolding keywords.

Light (one hand)
Heavy (two hands)
Versatile (depending on the hands you're using, deals light damage one-handed or one damage die higher for two hands)

Blade-catcher: When a melee weapon attack against you fails, you may use your reaction to make a disarm attempt against the enemy.
Double-Weapon: Can be used as if it were two off-hand light weapons for purpose of two-weapon fighting and damage dice.
Hacking: Each successful attack with this weapon lowers the target's AC by 1 until the start of your next turn.
Momentum: When you miss an enemy with an attack with this weapon, you may attack an adjacent enemy within your reach with the same weapon as a bonus action.
Off-Hand: Either a +1 to Armor Class if not used to attack or can be used as an additional attack for two-weapon fighting, chosen each turn.
Parrying: This weapon allows you to use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for the purpose of one melee Attack made against you. You may use this ability after the attack is rolled but before damage.
Superior: The damage die of this weapon increases by one stage. For example, 1d6 becomes 1d8, and 1d12 becomes 2d6.

Masterwork: Finally, Masterwork weapons function differently. A masterwork weapon uses a damage die one tier higher (e.g. a d10 becomes a d12). In addition to this, a master weaponsmith can make a masterwork weapon with additional abilities and effects through special techniques and materials. For example, a weapon could be made serrated, or made with mithral or even dragon bone.

Daggers
Off-hand

Parrying dagger (Piercing): On a turn when you do not attack with this weapon, gain Parrying
Notched Dagger/ Sai (Slashing): On a turn when you do not attack with this weapon, gain Blade-catcher

Quarterstaff

Reach or
Double-weapon.

You gain the benefits of that quality for quarterstaff attacks until the end of your turn.

Mace, Club
Reliable

Heavy Mace, Great Club
Reliable

Warhammer
Brutal
Can be used with a Light Hammer for two-weapon fighting, ignoring the ruling that both weapons must be "Light Off-hand" weapons.

Greathammer/ Maul
Brutal, Momentum

Scimitar
Keen

Falchion
Keen

Short Sword
Off-hand

Longsword
Superior
Can be used with a Short Sword for two-weapon fighting, ignoring the ruling that both weapons must be "Light Off-hand" weapons.

Greatsword
Superior, Momentum

Rapier
Keen
When wielded in one hand with nothing in your off-hand, a rapier gains Parrying.

Handaxe / Light Hammer
Off-hand, Thrown (20/60)

Spear
Thrown (20/60)
A Spear held in two hands (as a heavy weapon) gains Reach but still only does Light weapon damage.

Javelin
Thrown (30/120)

Battleaxe
Hacking
Can be used with a Hand Axe for two-weapon fighting, ignoring the ruling that both weapons must be "Light Off-hand" weapons.

Greataxe
Hacking, Momentum

I'm now thinking of stealing this for 5e games I'll run in the future. *yoink*

SangoProduction
2015-03-01, 11:09 PM
accidentally unsubscribed. resubscribing the only way I know: random post

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-03-02, 12:19 AM
Really glad to see interest in this, and even more ecstatic to see some great comments and variations!

That said, I'll have to respond a bit later this week: got a major job interview coming up that's taking pretty much all my attention. :smallbiggrin:

Thanatos 51-50
2015-03-02, 03:11 PM
Hey there, Djinn! Good t'see you!

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm getting the system right in my head, so:

TONFA
Light Versatile Weapon
Designed to be dual-wielded with a variety of striking styles, the Tonfa has the off-hand property, and Double-ended when wielded either by itself or in tandem with another Tonfa.

Ralcos
2015-03-02, 08:16 PM
Hidden Blade
"The Hidden Blade has been a constant companion of ours over the years. Some would say it defines us – and they would not be entirely wrong. Many of our successes would not have been possible without it."
―Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad's Codex, page 13.

Light Precise Martial Weapon
Hidden, Swift, Reliable 2, Off-Hand

Design Notes: Designed to be hidden until the second round of combat, the Hidden Blade can grant an easy Sneak Attack on one attack (being used as the primary weapon), and then either give an AC or +1 damage boost for subsequent rounds it remains drawn, and even allows a weapon to be wielded with the arm that holds the Hidden Blade (though at the cost of not being able to attack with the Hidden Blade unless the arm isn't holding a weapon.

Thanatos 51-50
2015-03-02, 08:29 PM
Hidden Blade
"The Hidden Blade has been a constant companion of ours over the years. Some would say it defines us – and they would not be entirely wrong. Many of our successes would not have been possible without it."
―Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad's Codex, page 13.

Light Precise Martial Weapon
Hidden, Swift, Reliable 2, Off-Hand

Design Notes: Designed to be hidden until the second round of combat, the Hidden Blade can grant an easy Sneak Attack on one attack (being used as the primary weapon), and then either give an AC or +1 damage boost for subsequent rounds it remains drawn, and even allows a weapon to be wielded with the arm that holds the Hidden Blade (though at the cost of not being able to attack with the Hidden Blade unless the arm isn't holding a weapon.

Isn't this just the wrist dagger with Reliable?

Ralcos
2015-03-02, 08:52 PM
Isn't this just the wrist dagger with Reliable?

Yes. But, I just thought to myself, "Why not?!?"

Ghost Dragon
2015-03-08, 08:06 PM

Light (one hand)
Heavy (two hands)

Daggers
Off-hand

Quarterstaff

Reach or
Double-weapon.

Mace, Club
Reliable

Heavy Mace, Great Club
Reliable

Warhammer
Brutal

Greathammer/ Maul
Brutal, Momentum

Scimitar
Keen

Falchion
Keen

Short Sword
Off-hand

Longsword
Superior

Greatsword
Superior, Momentum

Rapier
Keen

Handaxe / Light Hammer
Off-hand, Thrown (20/60)

Spear
Thrown (20/60)

Javelin
Thrown (30/120)

Battleaxe
Hacking

Greataxe
Hacking, Momentum

Master Elodin, love what you've done here, so much so I wanted to incorporate this into and existing 5E game I'm running. I wanted it to transfer smoothly with no change to existing weapon damage dice, so I made a few adjustments to what you have, mainly just adding a property here and there (Mainly added as properties Ammunition, Range, Vicious and Basic) to allow for the integration, and adding ranged weapons. Thought I'd share ;) Let me know what you think, Hopefully its not to complicated, want to try and keep it as simple as possible while still allowing for cool weapon options.

5e Weapon Overhaul
o Light (one hand)
o One-Handed (one hand)
o Two-Handed (two hands)
o Heavy (two hands)

o DEX: Use Dexterity for to-hit and damage.
o STR: Use Strength for to-hit and damage.
o STR/DEX: Choose Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.

o Ammunition: Allows you to make a ranged attack if you have ammunition to fire from a ranged weapon. Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack. At the end of the battle, you can recover half your expended ammunition by taking a minute to search the battlefield. If you use a weapon that has the ammunition property to make a melee attack, you treat the weapon as an improvised weapon. A sling must be loaded to deal any damage when used in this way.
o Basic: The damage die of this weapon decreases by one stage. For example, 1d4 to 1d2, 1d6 to 1d4, 1d8 to 1d6, 1d10 to 1d8, and 1d12 to 1d10.
o Blade-catcher: When a melee weapon attack against you fails, you may use your reaction to make a disarm attempt against the enemy.
o Brutal: A critical hit with this weapon stuns the enemy for 1 turn.
o Double-Weapon: Can be used as if it were two One-Handed weapons that have the off-hand property against targets within 5ft for purposes of two-weapon fighting and damage dice.
o Hacking: Each successful attack with this weapon lowers the target's AC by 1 until the start of your next turn.
o Hidden: Gain advantage on your first attack with the weapon during a combat if you drew it that round.
o Keen: This weapon scores a critical hit on a roll of a 19 or 20.
o Loading: Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number o f attacks you can normally make.
o Momentum: When you miss an enemy with an attack with this weapon, you may attack an adjacent enemy within your reach with the same weapon as a bonus action.
o Off-Hand: Either a +1 to Armor Class if not used to attack or can be used as an additional attack for two-weapon fighting, chosen each turn.
o Parrying: This weapon allows you to use your reaction to add your proficiency bonus to your AC for the purpose of one melee Attack made against you. You may use this ability after the attack is rolled but before damage.
o Range: A weapon that can be used to make a ranged attack has a range shown in parentheses. The range lists two numbers. The first is the weapon’s normal range in feet, and the second indicates the weapon’s maximum range. When attacking a target beyond normal range, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. You can’t attack a target beyond the weapon’s long range.
o Reach: Can hit targets +5ft away during your attack action.
o Reliable: Re-roll damage dice results of 1.
o Superior: The damage die of this weapon increases by one stage. For example, 1d4 to 1d6, 1d6 to 1d8, 1d8 to 1d10, 1d10 to 1d12.
o Thrown: This weapon can be thrown the indicated distance.
o Versatile: One handed weapons that have this property increase their damage die by one step when used two handed.
o Vicious: The damage die of this weapon uses one step more dice, increasing minimum damage. For example, 1d8 becomes 2d4, and 2d6 becomes 3d4.

o Light Weapon: 1d4
o One-handed: 1d6
o Two-handed: 1d8
o Heavy Weapon: 1d10

Daggers
Off-hand
o Wrist/ Punch Dagger (Piercing): Hidden
o Curved Dagger/ Janbiya (Slashing): Keen
o Dirk (Piercing): Superior
o Parrying dagger (Piercing): On a turn when you do not attack with this weapon, gain Parrying
o Notched Dagger/ Sai (Bludgeoning): On a turn when you do not attack with this weapon, gain Blade-catcher
o Throwing Dagger (Piercing): Thrown (20/60)

Quarterstaff
Two-Handed STR/DEX Simple Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Double-Weapon, Reach

Club
Reliable

Mace
One-Handed STR Simple Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Reliable

Great Club
Two-Handed STR Simple Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Reliable

Heavy Mace
Brutal

Warhammer
One-handed STR Martial Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Brutal, Superior, Versatile

Warpick
One-handed STR Martial Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Superior, Vicious

Greathammer/ Maul
Brutal, Momentum, Superior, Vicious

Scimitar
Keen, Superior

Falchion
Keen

Short Sword
Off-hand, Superior

Longsword
One-Handed STR Martial Weapon (Slashing)
Reliable, Superior, Versatile
Can be used with a Short Sword for two-weapon fighting, ignoring the ruling that both weapons must be "Light Off-Hand" weapons.

Greatsword
Parrying, Reliable, Superior, Vicious

Rapier
One-handed DEX Martial Weapon (Piercing)
Keen, Superior

Handaxe
One-handed STR Simple Weapon (Slashing)
Off-Hand, Thrown (20/60)

Light Hammer
Off-Hand, Thrown (20/60)

Sickle
Light STR Simple Weapon (Slashing)
Blade-catcher

Whip
Light DEX Martial Weapon (Slashing)
Blade-Catcher, Off-Hand, Reach

Spear
One-Handed STR Simple Weapon (Piercing)
Thrown (20/60)
A Spear held in two hands (as a heavy weapon) gains Reach but still only does One-handed weapon damage.

Javelin
One-Handed STR Simple Weapon (Piercing)
Thrown (30/120)

Battleaxe
One-Handed STR Martial Weapon (Slashing)
Hacking, Superior, Versatile

Flail
One-Handed STR Martial Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Momentum, Superior

Greataxe
Hacking, Momentum, Superior

Glaive
Reach, Reliable

Halberd
Blade-Catcher, Reach

Morningstar
One-Handed STR Martial Weapon (Piercing or Bludgeoning)
Reliable, Superior

Pike
Heavy STR Martial Weapon (Piercing)
Keen, Reach

Trident
One-Handed STR Martial Weapon (Piercing)
Blade-Catcher, Thrown 20/60, Versatile

Crossbow, Light
Two-Handed DEX Simple Weapon (Piercing)
Ammunition, Loading, Range 80/320

Dart
Light DEX Simple Weapon (Piercing)
Thrown 20/60

Shortbow
Two-Handed DEX Simple Weapon (Piercing)
Ammunition, Basic, Range 80/320, Reliable

Sling
Light DEX Simple Weapon (Bludgeoning)
Ammunition, Range 30/120

Crossbow, Hand
Ammunition, Loading, Range 30/120, Superior

Crossbow, Heavy
Heavy DEX Martial Weapon (Piercing)
Ammunition, Loading, Range 80/320

Longbow
Two-Weapon DEX Martial Weapon (Piercing)
Ammunition, Range 80/320, Reliable

Will fix formatting soon. Cheers

Arbitrarious
2015-03-10, 10:33 PM
Are there thoughts to value these traits and statistics to give an idea of a weapon's comparative power? Perhaps thresholds of values between simple and martial?