PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Online Dice Rolling Where Players Can't Cheat

JonathonWilder
2015-02-13, 04:00 PM
To put simply I am looking for a resource where I can have my players make necessary rolls for a forum based Pathfinder roleplay. Attack Rolls, Damage Rolls, Ability Checks, Skill Checks, Initiative, exc where I can see exactly what players roll so they can't cheat or fudge the results or even try to get away with rerolling without permission. More I would prefer an online resource that doesn't require my players to create an account to another site but perhaps only requires me to set things up for our campaign's rolls.

... I hope those here know what I am trying to ask for, if not I will try to explain myself more clearly.

Seerow
2015-02-13, 04:23 PM
I like http://invisiblecastle.com/

If the player registers there, then you can see all of the rolls they make, so if they try rolling a half dozen times and sending you a link to the best result, you know.

There might be better solutions out there though. I generally play in person, so don't frequently have use for online rollers.

The Viscount
2015-02-15, 01:07 PM
Are your players members of this forum? Because the site's roller is pretty great.

JonathonWilder
2015-02-15, 02:45 PM
I like http://invisiblecastle.com/

If the player registers there, then you can see all of the rolls they make, so if they try rolling a half dozen times and sending you a link to the best result, you know.

There might be better solutions out there though. I generally play in person, so don't frequently have use for online rollers.
I registered but never received a confirmation email so I could actually log in... perhaps the site is dead?

Well since this is forum-based roleplay I kind of need a dice roller.

Are your players members of this forum? Because the site's roller is pretty great.
No they are not, it isn't even a site that normally makes use of a D&D/Pathfinder roleplay but more free-forum roleplays without dice rolling.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-15, 02:56 PM
I registered but never received a confirmation email so I could actually log in... perhaps the site is dead?

Well since this is forum-based roleplay I kind of need a dice roller.

No they are not, it isn't even a site that normally makes use of a D&D/Pathfinder roleplay but more free-forum roleplays without dice rolling.

:smallconfused: what? I mean, sure, there are lots of free-forum roleplay threads, I imagine, but I'm pretty sure there are more than just a few similar to this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389641-Dnd-3-5-Saving-Commander-Christmas-IC) that I'm in, with lots of rolls going on (of course, this one kinda died out. I got deployed and the GM is moving to a different state at the moment)

JonathonWilder
2015-02-15, 03:12 PM
Well yes it is similar to that, also I mean free form not free forum... sorry for the mistake. What I meant is that the roleplays on the site I am doing this on doesn't use any game mechanics or dice rolling. You just have character bios made and then do replies like in the roleplay you provide but doesn't have dice.

D&D/Pathfinder roleplays are rare and far between, I may actually be going going for too ambitious of a campaign... especially since more then half of my players have never played D&D or Pathfinder. I need a good online dice roller that is easy for my players to access and allows me to make sure no one cheats.

Greenish
2015-02-15, 03:16 PM
:smallconfused: what? I mean, sure, there are lots of free-forum roleplay threads, I imagine, but I'm pretty sure there are more than just a few similar to this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389641-Dnd-3-5-Saving-Commander-Christmas-IC) that I'm in, with lots of rolls going on (of course, this one kinda died out. I got deployed and the GM is moving to a different state at the moment)He's not playing on Giant in the Playground forum. His players are not registered on Giant in the Playground forum. He's playing on a different forum. This different forum is mainly for freeform roleplay. This different forum does not have in-built dice roller. This different forum is not a Giant in the Playground forum.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-15, 03:17 PM
Well yes it is similar to that, also I mean free form not free forum... sorry for the mistake. What I meant is that the roleplays on the site I am doing this on doesn't use any game mechanics or dice rolling. You just have character bios made and then do replies like in the roleplay you provide but doesn't have dice.

D&D/Pathfinder roleplays are rare and far between, I may actually be going going for too ambitious of a campaign... especially since more then half of my players have never played D&D or Pathfinder. I need a good online dice roller that is easy for my players to access and allows me to make sure no one cheats.

yeah, I get that, but what I'm saying is, you can do those type of rolls on this forum. all you do is type:
, the number of dice, the side of the dice, and your modifier to the roll then , as such:
1d20+7

He's not playing on Giant in the Playground forum. His players are not registered on Giant in the Playground forum. He's playing on a different forum. This different forum is mainly for freeform roleplay. This different forum does not have in-built dice roller. This different forum is not a Giant in the Playground forum.

ah. well then.

pwykersotz
2015-02-15, 03:20 PM
I wish you luck in your search. I've been looking for a good dice room for ages. Unfortunately, my players are very cross-platform. Phones, Tablets, PC, Mac, laptop, desktop... Trying to find a dice room that is simple, clean, and works easily for all of them is a pain. And the goal for me would be to get results in realtime, so extra steps are out...

I've yet to find anything that works. :smallfrown:

Greenish
2015-02-15, 03:23 PM
It might be extra effort on your part, and certainly takes away part of the charm of TTRPG (but then, so does not rolling actual physical die), but conceivably you could do all the rolls yourself and tell the players the results.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-15, 03:25 PM
It may be more trouble than you are willing to go to, but roll20 has a dice roller in it. Also has the ability to do maps and show where your characters and enemies are at, and allow them to interact with it. Video and voice as well as chat too. Requires a bit of macro knowledge to really pull off though, so YMMV...

JonathonWilder
2015-02-15, 04:32 PM
He's not playing on Giant in the Playground forum. His players are not registered on Giant in the Playground forum. He's playing on a different forum. This different forum is mainly for freeform roleplay. This different forum does not have in-built dice roller. This different forum is not a Giant in the Playground forum.
Thank you for clarifying, I appreciate it... though I admit to having some concern with the tone. Your clarification comes off a bit too strongly in the negative as if the above facts are bad things.

I wish you luck in your search. I've been looking for a good dice room for ages. Unfortunately, my players are very cross-platform. Phones, Tablets, PC, Mac, laptop, desktop... Trying to find a dice room that is simple, clean, and works easily for all of them is a pain. And the goal for me would be to get results in realtime, so extra steps are out...

I've yet to find anything that works. :smallfrown:
Thank you, I appriciate the sentiment. As far as I know, most players have computers they can post from, most (not all) even having Skype... but I admit I have purposefully be avoiding a live chat because I seek for my players to try and be descriptive and because I want to be able to go back to see what was typed.

It might be extra effort on your part, and certainly takes away part of the charm of TTRPG (but then, so does not rolling actual physical die), but conceivably you could do all the rolls yourself and tell the players the results.
I admit, I want to avoid such as I want my players to feel they actually have control over their characters and the DM making their roles for them would suck I feel... I know I would hate having someone else make my rolls for me.

It may be more trouble than you are willing to go to, but roll20 has a dice roller in it. Also has the ability to do maps and show where your characters and enemies are at, and allow them to interact with it. Video and voice as well as chat too. Requires a bit of macro knowledge to really pull off though, so YMMV...
I have actually really wanted to use Roll20, as it seems awesome but I would prefer that for live play perhaps even with a projector. It seems like it could be really helpful... though perhaps more then a bit difficult to use for online play. Also the models would be off since no one is playing humanoids but quadruped fey of a variety of races.

Grooke
2015-02-15, 04:58 PM
Having played a bunch of games on roll20, it can really be as simple as you want it to be. If you are used to playing via a forum, you can just use roll20 for dice/IM chat.

Greenish
2015-02-15, 05:05 PM
Thank you for clarifying, I appreciate it... though I admit to having some concern with the tone. Your clarification comes off a bit too strongly in the negative as if the above facts are bad things.It's true, I strongly disapprove of anyone ever using anything on the internet that's not Giant in the Playground forums. E-banking and Google are especially suspect, but I won't let even other roleplaying forums off the hook.

Jack_Simth
2015-02-15, 05:08 PM
The IC forum permits the deletion of posts - and any rolls contained therein. That's free rerolls. I'm pretty sure the mods have access to deleted posts and the edit history, but... well, if you need to bug a mod to check, something's wrong.

This site also supports formatting sufficient to fake a roll (easily noticed by way of quoting the post). Have a "nat"-1 for an example: (1d20+7)[8].

Now, if you quote this post, you'll see exactly what was done quite trivially; it'll look like: (1d20+7)[8] (and you'll also see how I left it with the formatting, if you're curious about such things). When quoting, an actual roll looks like: [roll0], instead. This forum also permits rearranging of rolls. So if I roll ten different things with the same modifier honestly, I can then edit it to put them in an arbitrary order. I might demonstrate, but this segment of the forums does not appear to support actual rolls.

I had some luck with OpenRPG for a while. If you're running the server, you can configure it to flag fudged rolls in any way you like (it looks for the flags that would be the formatting for a fake roll, and substitutes them with another string... for everyone *except* the person doing it).

oldkingkoal
2015-02-15, 05:37 PM
I am rather fond of Mythweavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/) set up.

ngilop
2015-02-15, 05:52 PM
Most forums have a built in code for dice rolling. if not all.

what specific forum are you referring to? and there is probably a dice rolling code there.

JonathonWilder
2015-02-15, 07:23 PM
As fair as I know, not a single one of my players are members of Giantitp and we will be holding the roleplay on a site called MLP Forums. I may have my players join Giantip but I wont require it, I will check out Mythweavers.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-15, 08:12 PM
If you check under the help tab there is a drop down menu with a link to their dice roller help page. It gives a quick run down of the sites roll functions. The thing I like most is the Sheet rolls function. You fill out a character sheet, then attach that sheet to a game, this allows you to roll for things without even referencing your sheet. For instance, if a player wants to make a full attack then they would type [ sr=w1f][/sr] and it would automatically roll the attack you have listed under weapon slot 1. Its really very interesting once you get the hang of it.

Gwachitallemall
2015-02-15, 10:07 PM
I would try www.pbegames.com/roller . You tell them to send the emails to you and them, if it doesn't come to you it's not a valid roll. Boom bam done. I use it a lot for a different forum, one on one style rolling, but it should still be effective for you.

Douglas
2015-02-15, 10:45 PM
Invisible Castle (http://invisiblecastle.com/) is still functioning, and even if account registration doesn't work (no idea there) you don't actually need it. You can roll dice without logging in, and associate the roll with a character name. If you declare in advance that all rolls must have the appropriate character name in order to be valid, the ability to search for all rolls made by a particular character name should guard against reroll abuse. Just make sure your character names are reasonably unique to avoid someone else in the vast ocean of the Internet accidentally using the same name on the site.

Mcdt2
2015-02-18, 04:17 PM
Personally I like Rolz (https://rolz.org/group) for online dice rolling. No accounts needed, and you can set up a room for the players to join where everyone can see each other's rolls.