PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right stats for this weapon?

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-13, 04:39 PM
I was looking at Zerka (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Zerka_(5e_Equipment))

Weapon----------Cost---------Damage------------Weight--------Properties
Zerka-------------10 sp--------1d8 Piercing-----------3 lb.----------Finesse, Thrown(range 80/320), Special*

Is this the correct stats on this?

If so why would anyone use a normal spear

DragonSinged
2015-02-13, 04:46 PM
You're aware that's someone's homebrew, right?

JFahy
2015-02-13, 04:55 PM
Seems like someone was way too generous building that thing. If it's
available in a campaign world, of course people would be beating down
the door to get one. :smalltongue:

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-13, 04:58 PM
Yes I just don't know what all weapons have came out over the years from 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, 4e, and now with 5e. I have only played 2e with mostly the core books.

I have been thinking a lot about a DEX Fighter and would love to use a Spear/Shield combo. I just wasn't sure if there was a spear that could be used as Finesse, Thrown. In 2e we never played a DEX Fighter with finesse weapons. So this kind of fighter is new to my group. We are switching to 5e.

Tonden Ockay
2015-02-13, 04:59 PM
Seems like someone was way too generous building that thing. If it's
available in a campaign world, of course people would be beating down
the door to get one. :smalltongue:

That is what I was thinking as well. Normally there isn't a spear that can be used as Finesse and Thrown is there?

JFahy
2015-02-13, 05:06 PM
That is what I was thinking as well. Normally there isn't a spear that can be used as Finesse and Thrown is there?

I think the rule of thumb they used was that a finesse weapon shall do d6
or less damage - and off the top of my head the only thing that's finesse
and also throwable is a dagger, which pays for it by having the weaker damage
die.

Also, I'm not sure there's anything sturdy/substantial enough to be used as a
melee weapon that I could also throw 320 feet. :smallwink:

asorel
2015-02-13, 05:16 PM
I think the rule of thumb they used was that a finesse weapon shall do d6
or less damage - and off the top of my head the only thing that's finesse
and also throwable is a dagger, which pays for it by having the weaker damage
die.

Also, I'm not sure there's anything sturdy/substantial enough to be used as a
melee weapon that I could also throw 320 feet. :smallwink:

Rapiers do d8 damage, and are Finesse weapons.

JFahy
2015-02-13, 05:30 PM
Rapiers do d8 damage, and are Finesse weapons.

Crap. Am I thinking of Light weapons?

asorel
2015-02-13, 05:34 PM

Possibly, I'm AFB at the moment. If you want a real formulaic breakdown of weapon damage, you should check out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?378583-Weapon-Damage-Logic-How-to-Homebrew-and-Why-Some-Weapons-are-Trap-Options%22):

Chadamantium
2015-02-13, 09:02 PM
So considering that the world record from javelin throwing is around 340'. this is stupidly over the top.

RedMage125
2015-02-13, 09:20 PM
Let's also note that the first range increment is 80', which is FOUR TIMES that of most thrown weapons in the PHB.

The Fighter and Rogue in the party I DM for often resort to thrown weapons. Range limit on thrown weapons is one of the factors that comes into play a LOT.

This thing is stupid broken.

calebrus
2015-02-13, 09:42 PM

Light weapons are d6 or less. Finesse weapons are also d6 or less, with the sole exception of the rapier (which basically exists just so that rogues have a d8 weapon to sneak attack with, and you'll notice it is not also light, which is the balance for it as it can't be used to dual wield unless you have a feat).

Envyus
2015-02-14, 01:20 AM
I was looking at Zerka (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Zerka_(5e_Equipment))

Weapon----------Cost---------Damage------------Weight--------Properties
Zerka-------------10 sp--------1d8 Piercing-----------3 lb.----------Finesse, Thrown(range 80/320), Special*

Is this the correct stats on this?

If so why would anyone use a normal spear

Well it's homebrew and not a real weapon so yes the stats are right,

RedMage125
2015-02-14, 01:21 AM
Light weapons are d6 or less. Finesse weapons are also d6 or less, with the sole exception of the rapier (which basically exists just so that rogues have a d8 weapon to sneak attack with, and you'll notice it is not also light, which is the balance for it as it can't be used to dual wield unless you have a feat).

I currently have a Rogue in the game I DM dual-wielding rapiers.

...as ridiculous as that would look.

MeeposFire
2015-02-14, 01:33 AM

Well the normal spear can work but only if you take a level of monk. Technically not finesse but essentially the same thing (unless you are a rogue then it matters but since the question concerns a fighter not a problem).

calebrus
2015-02-14, 01:40 AM
Well the normal spear can work but only if you take a level of monk. Technically not finesse but essentially the same thing (unless you are a rogue then it matters but since the question concerns a fighter not a problem).

Doesn't work, since the sentence you edited out right before the one you quoted states spear/shield combo.
Shield means no martial arts. No martial arts means he can't use dex, which leaves that spear as a str weapon, even if he has a monk level.

MeeposFire
2015-02-14, 01:45 AM
Doesn't work, since the sentence you edited out right before the one you quoted states spear/shield combo.
Shield means no martial arts. No martial arts means he can't use dex, which leaves that spear as a str weapon, even if he has a monk level.

Ah yes I forgot he wanted to use a shield.

DragonSinged
2015-02-14, 03:51 AM
I currently have a Rogue in the game I DM dual-wielding rapiers.

...as ridiculous as that would look.

This is not the first time I have seen someone on these forums say that dual wielding rapiers would look ridiculous, and I don't understand where this is coming from. Dual wielding rapiers is called fighting "case", by the way, as in "a case of rapiers", and it is a historical fighting style which I happen to have training in.
http://moondragon.info/mediawiki/images/1/12/Case_of_Rapiers.PNG