PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Star Wars to D&D 5e conversion

OutlawJT
2015-02-13, 06:30 PM
So, after finally getting some decent experience with 5e and reading the PHB for it back to front once or twice, I've decided I want to make a Star Wars conversion for the ruleset. I love Star Wars but the number of SAGA players is continually dwindling and I hate the new Star Wars game system. I need a new system to try and cultivate some players and right now (minus one or two minor gripes) 5e is my favorite system going. Problem is, I need a partner (or three) to bounce ideas off of and help keep me honest. This seems like the best forum around for homebrew creations so I was hoping to find some like-minded people to help me with this somewhat monumental undertaking.

Anyone interested? And could anyone recommend a good place to host it online so other people could view and use it should they so wish?

Thanks in advance to anyone actually crazy enough to join me in this effort.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-02-13, 08:46 PM
Yeah, this sounds like fun. I'm in. :smallbiggrin:

If you want a wider audience...link to Google docs in your sig and put the stuff there. Or make a pastebin (http://pastebin.com/). I know certain Anonymous sites use it a lot for sharing worldbuilding details.

So where to start? Classes? Races?

OutlawJT
2015-02-13, 09:14 PM
Thank you and welcome aboard. It's not an immediate concern but do you have a way we could talk/type in real time to work on it? Not everyday or anything. Just once in a while to talk things over.

Races are the easiest thing to build. Classes and the Force system the most complicated. I'd say starting at one of those extremes would be the best starting point.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-02-13, 09:40 PM
Thank you and welcome aboard. It's not an immediate concern but do you have a way we could talk/type in real time to work on it? Not everyday or anything. Just once in a while to talk things over.

Not particularly. I never cared much for IRL text chat if only because I think a lot faster than I type and I tend to trip myself up. I also prefer to think on responses before posting.

Races are the easiest thing to build. Classes and the Force system the most complicated. I'd say starting at one of those extremes would be the best starting point.

Looking through the core book, I'd say the problem with the classes is how many get to stay full classes, and how many become subclasses and/or backgrounds. Like Noble. I hate the Noble class. I'd shunt it into the Scoundrel class or something. But I digress.

Off the top of my head I'd say Jedi needs to be either one class with multiple subclasses (Jedi: Sentinel, Guardian, Consular), or three separate classes each with two or more subclasses (Guardian: Maurader (Darkside), Warmaster (Lightside). Sentinel: Assassin (Dark), Shade (Light), Diplomat (Grey). Consular: Wizard (Lightside), Sorcerer (Darkside), Alchemist (Grey).). And we should look into the Magic Points variant rule.

OutlawJT
2015-02-14, 03:04 AM
Off the top of my head I'd say Jedi needs to be either one class with multiple subclasses (Jedi: Sentinel, Guardian, Consular), or three separate classes each with two or more subclasses (Guardian: Maurader (Darkside), Warmaster (Lightside). Sentinel: Assassin (Dark), Shade (Light), Diplomat (Grey). Consular: Wizard (Lightside), Sorcerer (Darkside), Alchemist (Grey).). And we should look into the Magic Points variant rule.

Originally I was thinking Jedi as a single class with four subclasses (consular, guardian, sentinel, sith). Then having a second force using class for force focused characters from other traditions. Perhaps we could go with three force based classes then? Jedi, Sith, Force Disciple (haven't thought of a good name yet) with each having 3 subclasses to start. What do you think? Oh, and on the subject of force based classes we need to think up a proper system for dealing with dark side corruption. Advantage/disadvantage could be used for some of it's effects and uses but there needs to be more than that I think.

For the other classes, I actually think we should use the existing Star Wars classes as is. Noble and Scoundrel do some similar things but no more than say, a Ranger and Barbarian do in D&D 5e. Plus, they often do those similar things very differently. As much as I personally rarely use the Noble class it very much has it's place in any Star Wars system.

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-14, 04:21 AM
So, after finally getting some decent experience with 5e and reading the PHB for it back to front once or twice, I've decided I want to make a Star Wars conversion for the ruleset. I love Star Wars but the number of SAGA players is continually dwindling and I hate the new Star Wars game system. I need a new system to try and cultivate some players and right now (minus one or two minor gripes) 5e is my favorite system going. Problem is, I need a partner (or three) to bounce ideas off of and help keep me honest. This seems like the best forum around for homebrew creations so I was hoping to find some like-minded people to help me with this somewhat monumental undertaking.

Anyone interested? And could anyone recommend a good place to host it online so other people could view and use it should they so wish?

Thanks in advance to anyone actually crazy enough to join me in this effort.

Well, I love that you want to do this as I have been toying with the idea since I got the 5e core books. I still have all the star wars books too so, I guess I'm saying count me in too! :smallwink:

Yup I agree races and classes are actually the easiest (not easy, just easier hehe), with the force system being the hardest to convert as it's all skill based, and with 5e skills being so different from the 3/3.5 build its a hard task, but I'm keen! So I vote taking on the force system first..... I'll have another look over SW force system and see if I can post some ground work ideas. ;)

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-14, 10:00 AM
I love most of the 5e core rules but I'm starting to tire of the Tolkien backed thoughts and how conservative the classes really are. There just isn't room for anyone or anything that dares to push away from the LotR martial concept (unless you are magic, then you can play scion).

I've never played any of the star wars games but I would be interested in this.

In the DMG they give you a guide for Sanity (could be used with Dark Side corruption) and for making new ability scores such as Honor. You might want to take a look at that if you want to expand some ability scores.

OutlawJT
2015-02-14, 12:35 PM
Sadly I don't have the 5e dmg to use as a reference. Just the phb.

As to the force system, I was actually thinking we could use the magic system straight from 5e using the warlock as a template (rechargeable spells). Either shortening a short rest or coming up with another mechanic for quicker recovery (or, maybe just a subclass feature for the more force oriented subclasses like consular). The spell points system sounds like a good idea IF it is anything like it is in 3.5.

Thinking on games like CoC, Sanity might work as a template but the effects would need to be different most likely. I also kind of like the idea of Honor as a game mechanic in a game with Jedi.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-14, 01:05 PM
Sadly I don't have the 5e dmg to use as a reference. Just the phb.

As to the force system, I was actually thinking we could use the magic system straight from 5e using the warlock as a template (rechargeable spells). Either shortening a short rest or coming up with another mechanic for quicker recovery (or, maybe just a subclass feature for the more force oriented subclasses like consular). The spell points system sounds like a good idea IF it is anything like it is in 3.5.

Thinking on games like CoC, Sanity might work as a template but the effects would need to be different most likely. I also kind of like the idea of Honor as a game mechanic in a game with Jedi.

I'm waiting to get an xray, once I get home I'll crack open the DMG and explain how honor works in it.

I think the warlock (blade pack) would work great or a modified battle master fighter mechanic.

One thing you could do is instead of saving throws, change everything into contests. The game already works with this (above, disarm, whatever else).

You could make a contest of Athletics (Force) versus Athletics or Acrobatics. For most things. Give a small effect on a failed contest and a larger effect on a passed contest. Other things can have a negated effect on a failed contest.

Edit: The spell point variant in the DMG is fantastic. However it doesn't work with the warlock because the warlock is special.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-02-14, 02:07 PM
Originally I was thinking Jedi as a single class with four subclasses (consular, guardian, sentinel, sith). Then having a second force using class for force focused characters from other traditions. Perhaps we could go with three force based classes then? Jedi, Sith, Force Disciple (haven't thought of a good name yet) with each having 3 subclasses to start. What do you think? Oh, and on the subject of force based classes we need to think up a proper system for dealing with dark side corruption. Advantage/disadvantage could be used for some of it's effects and uses but there needs to be more than that I think.

Jedi and Sith, at least to me, are an alignment issue. They can do similar stuff (mostly), and ultimately characters can switch back and forth if they want. It would be easier to leave the differing sides of the Force out of the classes proper.

For the other classes, I actually think we should use the existing Star Wars classes as is. Noble and Scoundrel do some similar things but no more than say, a Ranger and Barbarian do in D&D 5e. Plus, they often do those similar things very differently. As much as I personally rarely use the Noble class it very much has it's place in any Star Wars system.

Alright, although I will say I don't understand why it (Noble) exists.

In the DMG they give you a guide for Sanity (could be used with Dark Side corruption) and for making new ability scores such as Honor. You might want to take a look at that if you want to expand some ability scores.

I love this idea. We could have Force as the seventh ability score. It could be a requirement to have this stat at a certain level (let's say 12 or 10?) in order to be a Jedi (note to self: Magic Initiate -----> Force Initiate!). In fact, I can see a system where you roll/point buy/Elite assign the usual six stats, and then you have to swap out one of the six to be Force, while the one you swapped it for gets an 8 or 10. Encourages people to pick Force or Not Force. Your Force stat replaces any one of the other six for an Ability Check, Skill Check, Attack, Etc, but only at some sort of Force Point Cost.

Eggh. Bad idea, I think. The Force is a lot more fluid than I think spell slots allow it to be. You're better off with the Spell Points system in the DMG (seriously get it naow!). It works pretty good. I think Force powers would work best as a sort of replacement for the Sorcerer's Sorcery Points. IE: You burn X points to Maximize Athletics [Force], or gain Advantage. And there can be a list of abilities like Heal and Lightning you pick as you level like the BM's Maneuver list. These powers would also be based on burning Point.

Again, there's a whole segment in the DMG for making new Ability Scores. I'd say stick with either a Force ability or an Honor, but not both. It might get too dense for people to get.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-14, 04:27 PM
Eggh. Bad idea, I think. The Force is a lot more fluid than I think spell slots allow it to be. You're better off with the Spell Points system in the DMG (seriously get it naow!). It works pretty good. I think Force powers would work best as a sort of replacement for the Sorcerer's Sorcery Points. IE: You burn X points to Maximize Athletics [Force], or gain Advantage. And there can be a list of abilities like Heal and Lightning you pick as you level like the BM's Maneuver list. These powers would also be based on burning Point.

Again, there's a whole segment in the DMG for making new Ability Scores. I'd say stick with either a Force ability or an Honor, but not both. It might get too dense for people to get.

Yeah Force Points sound good, but I think 5e spell casting and core rules may not be enough to actually allow the Force to be shown.

The DMG spell point variant should work greatly.

Give each Jedi Force Points from the DMG. Have their Force Ability score represent their "caster level" that determines how many spell points they get based on the table in the DMG. Then you could assign specific force abilities a number of points.

(do note I've never played any SW RPG but I'm a fan of the movies and such)

Force Jump I: Double Jump Distance (3 points)
Force Jump II: Triple Jump Distance (5 points)

Manipulate Mind I: Charm target for one round (3 points)
Manipulate Mind II: Charm 2 targets for one round (5 points)

Balance and have fun.

tuviel023
2015-02-14, 09:12 PM
Here's what I've come up with as a basis:

Classes:

Non-Force Users

Mercenary (Bounty Hunter, Jedi Hunter, Mandalorian, Assassin)

Scoundrel (Smuggler, Lowlife, Slicer)

Trooper (Demolitions Expert, Scout, Assault)

Force Users

Adept (Counselor, Lightning, Madness)

Sentinel (Shadow, Balance, Dervish)

Guardian (Juggernaut, Protection, Leader)

IF you have space exploration/combat as a major aspect, these classes would be added:

Pilot (Ace, Hotshot, Squad Leader)

Commander (Tactician, General, Wing Leader)

Examples of each Archetype from the Movies/Legends:

Bounty Hunter Mercenary - Bossk (V, VI, EU), IG-88 (V, EU), Dengar (V, EU, Shae Visla (SW:ToR)

Jedi Hunter Mercenary - Aurra Sing (I, EU), Sherruk (Kotor I)

Mandalorian Mercenary - Jango Fett (II, EU), Boba Fett (V, VI, EU), Mandalore the Preserver (Kotor II), Mandalore (Tales of the Jedi)

Assassin Mercenary - Zam Wessel (II, EU), HK-47 (Kotor I & II, SW:ToR)

Smuggler Scoundrel - Han Solo (IV-VI, EU), Mission Vao (Kotor I), Dash Rendar (Shadows of the Empire), Atton Rand (Kotor II)

Lowlife Scoundrel - Greedo (IV), Lando Calrission (V, VI), Mira (Kotor II)

Slicer Scoundrel - R2-D2 (I-VI, EU), T3-M4 (Kotor I & II), Fixer (Republic Commando)

Demolitions Expert Trooper - Boush (VI, EU), Bao-Dur (Kotor I), Scorch (Republic Commando)

Scout Trooper - Kyle Katarn (Dark Forces), Carth Onasi (Kotor I), Sev (Republic Commando)

Assault Trooper - Boss (Republic Commando)

Counselor Adept - Cilgal (EU), Ki Adi Mundi (I-III), Yoda (I-VI), Kreia (Kotor I), Jolee Bindo (Kotor I)

Lightning Adept - Emperor Palpatine (I-VI)

Madness Adept - Aleema Kato (Tales of the Jedi), Darth Nihilus (Kotor II), Visas Marr (Kotor II)

Shadow Sentinel - Darth Maul (I), Pic (Dark Forces: Jedi Knight), Juhani (Kotor I)

Balance Sentinel - Luke Skywalker (V-VI, EU), Plo Koon (I-III), Anakin Skywalker (I-III), Kyle Karan (Dark Forces: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy), Bastila Shan

Dervish Sentinel - Mace Windu (I-III), Darth Revan (Kotor I), The Last Handmaiden (Kotor II), Mara Jade (EU)

Juggernaut Guardian - Darth Vader (IV-VI), Darth Malak (Kotor I), Darth Sion (Kotor II)

Protection Guardian - Obi-Wan Kenobi (I-III)

Leader Guardian - Count Dooku (II-III)

These are my thoughts on classes/archetypes for now.

Most of the Jedi Powers can be adapted from current 5e spells, just get the DMG and use the spell point variant for Force abilities (some easy ones are Long Strider, Haste, Jump, Witch Bolt, Blight, Bestow Curse, Eldritch Blast, Gust of Wind, Levitate, etc...). Then convert various other spells into on use abilities for the non-Force users (such as Fire Ball = Thermal Detinator, Disintigrate = Disruptor Rifle, Fire Bolt = Overcharged Shot, etc...)

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-15, 06:41 AM
So I've had a look at the DMG spell point system and agree it looks like the way to go for force powers, but I think it should be closer to the Monk Ki point regeneration system, so after a short rest they return, Other wise a Jedi could do, say for example, a jedi mind trick (Affect Mind Power as a 1st level spell), then Enhance ability and that would be it for the whole day.... I just dont think it would feel like the force with that type of system, but the regen per short rest fixes that I think.

What do you guys think?

Also, this is the list of powers that were both force skills and feats from the SW core rule book along with brief description of what they do:

(Skills First)
Affect Mind [Jedi mind trick]
Battlemind [+ bonus to attack rolls]
Drain Energy [drain power from technology]
Empathy [Know targets mood]
Enhance Ability [+ to ability]
Enhance Sense [+ to skills, listen, spot, survival to track, search, sense motive]
Farseeing [See the present past or future/ once per week only]
Fear [yup, you guessed it, fear]
Force Defense [+ bonus to saving throws]
Force Grip [Darths favourite trick]
Force Lightning [Palpatine's favourite trick]
Force Stealth [you get stealthier]
Force Strike [you know this one too]
Friendship [Make friends]
Heal Another [Cure wounds]
Heal Self [Cure wounds]
Illusion [Yup make something seem real]
Move Object [Yoda moving X-Wing]
See Force [Detect Magic]
Telepathy [I can read your mind!!!!]

(Feats, and Im only listing ones that are actual "powers" and not flat bonuses to attack AC or skills. Anything that is an improvement of one feat with have > in-between them on the same line. Anything In brackets is the same as its predicessor it just has different pre requisites in the book aka force user level compared to jedi level, that sort of thing.)
Burst Of Speed>Force Speed (Knight Speed)>Master Speed [Movement speed increase]
Dissipate Energy [absorb energy damage without a light sabre]
Force Flight [Fly]
Force Mind>Improved Force Mind (Knight Mind)>Master Mind [Grant you /others bonus to one ability score]
Force Whirlwind [area effect, damage and -4 to attacks skills ability checks]
Rage [basically barbarian rage]

The feats that follow give access to skills but also have some minor power uses or bonuses to AC or Skills (Including these for ideas on class features and subclass features)
Alter [Grants access to force skills]
Attuned [+2 to enhance ability/heal self]
Aware [+2 to Enhance sense/ see force]
Compassion [+2 to Empathy/Heal another]
Control [Grants access to skills + Force Trance(Live longer without food water or air & Prolong Force, continue using force powers once points are gone]
Focus [+2 to Force Stealth/Force strike]
Force Mastery>High Force Mastery [Reduce casting action of force powers with increase in points cost]
Light Sabre Defense>Knight Defense>Master Defense [Bonus to AC stackable]
Link [+2 to fareseeing/telepathy]
Malevolent [+2 to fear/force grip]
Mettle [+2 battlemind/force defense]
Mind Trick [+2 to affect mind/illusion]
Sense [grants access to skills + sense force (know instinctively if someone you know well is in pain or distress)]

Righto so we should be able to start to determine what should be powers and what should be part of class features.
Another reason for making force points more like Ki points is that jedi stuff just doesnt get to the same realm as wizard spells in terms of effects, so I think that will make it balanced to have the force points act like Ki, as most of their cool tricks are not going to transport you to another plane or have comets start crashing into an army.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-15, 01:03 PM
I would say...

High Powered: Treat Jedi level as full caster to determine points (Wizard)

Moderate Power: Jedi Level = 1/2 caster to determine points.

Low Power: Jedi Level = 1/3 caster to determine points (like EK Fighter).

Then have points recover on a short rest.

Then take whatever Jedi tricks you want.

Inchoroi
2015-02-20, 05:22 PM
One thing that worries me is that even a 1st level Jedi padawan and a 1st level, say, mercenary, are going to be equal in power for balance's sake, and, in the lore, this is not the case--which I've been of the opinion is one of the biggest failings of the Saga game.

This is probably the only thing that I liked about the new Star Wars game from FFG.

Honestly, just playing devil's advocate, since I'd love a fun star wars game to play again, as I don't want to learn a new game right now.

Wartex1
2015-02-20, 05:48 PM
You could always give Jedi a level adjustment.

Inchoroi
2015-02-21, 02:30 PM
You could always give Jedi a level adjustment.

Yeah, I thought about that; actually, first thing that popped into my head was giving them their own, slower, XP table, but that also feels like a cop out.

intregus
2015-05-19, 10:18 PM
I'm very interested to see if you guys ever got anything off the ground or if this just died..........I've been trying to figure out SW for 5e and I have all the sag edition books. I'm totally down for helping out or just seeing what's been done.

If this just kind of fizzled out.........well let's actually do something with it and get it started!

Steampunkette
2015-05-19, 10:37 PM
So. My big suggestion: Jedi as Warlocks.

Invocations and Spells as Force Powers. In the movies and in the books the Force tends to be used in one of two ways, a sprinkling of telekinesis or mind control and a sprinkling of movement increases or combat utility (like leaping around yodastyle). They're not constant abilities the Jedi whip out all the time forever in every scene or sequence.

By using the Invocation setup and the narrow spells per short rest you create a more "Scene" oriented 'casting' style wherein they can pull out a few nifty abilities at a time and later pull out more.

With Pact of the Tome and Pact of the Blade you've already got your Jedi Consular and Jedi Knight. The Consular flings Eldritch Blasts as TK-chucking objects. Then picks up the Repelling Blast invocation to knock the enemy around the battlefield. Meanwhile the Bladelock is leaping into the fight to swing their sword(s).

It'd definitely need reflavoring. Some of the abilities would need to be removed or revamped. Darkness, for example, would be too weird for a Star Wars Game.

But it's definitely a sturdy framework upon which to build Jedi. Though I'd like to suggest looking into some of the "Bladelock Fixes" on the boards. 3 attacks seems like it'd be perfect for the knight.

intregus
2015-05-21, 03:19 PM
What about races?

I don't really know what to do for zabrak and keldor?

I figured for most races there won't be subraces and others are easily enough copied over from 5e like the Goliath could easily be the wookiee.

Steampunkette
2015-05-21, 03:29 PM
Zabraks are.... well... basically humans. They're not particularly strong or fast. They had vestigial horns going for them, and facial tats. But aside from the second heart they were essentially just humans.

Kel Dor, on the other hand, were pretty sensitive folks. Maybe give them perception as a racial skill and otherwise make them pretty much human? Since the whole race has to wear breathing masks offworld it really doesn't make sense to charge the player for them or make players hunt down places to breathe.

I dunno what to tell you. Most Star Wars races are pretty much "Human, but with this skill/feat/ability"

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-05-21, 07:10 PM
Might be thread necromancy, but until the mods show up I'm game.

I was also thinking Invocations were the way to go, but I was rather looking at a Monk base. Ki/Force points could be used to pay for certain single use powers (the strenuous ones), while many other ones were invocations ie; essentially free. I was also thinking of having Darkside and Lightside determined at 1st - 3rd level, either like the Warlock Patrons, or like the Pact Bond. Possible an odd combo of the two. Major archetypes would roughly follow the old d20 system: Knights (Guardians), Adepts (Sentinels), and Sages (Consulars). Warrior, Rogue, Mage, basically, with differing "spell lists" depending on side of the force.

Submortimer
2015-05-21, 10:50 PM

Invocations and Spells as Force Powers. In the movies and in the books the Force tends to be used in one of two ways, a sprinkling of telekinesis or mind control and a sprinkling of movement increases or combat utility (like leaping around yodastyle). They're not constant abilities the Jedi whip out all the time forever in every scene or sequence.

By using the Invocation setup and the narrow spells per short rest you create a more "Scene" oriented 'casting' style wherein they can pull out a few nifty abilities at a time and later pull out more.

With Pact of the Tome and Pact of the Blade you've already got your Jedi Consular and Jedi Knight. The Consular flings Eldritch Blasts as TK-chucking objects. Then picks up the Repelling Blast invocation to knock the enemy around the battlefield. Meanwhile the Bladelock is leaping into the fight to swing their sword(s).

It'd definitely need reflavoring. Some of the abilities would need to be removed or revamped. Darkness, for example, would be too weird for a Star Wars Game.

But it's definitely a sturdy framework upon which to build Jedi. Though I'd like to suggest looking into some of the "Bladelock Fixes" on the boards. 3 attacks seems like it'd be perfect for the knight.

Came to suggest this, glad it was already here.

intregus
2015-05-22, 07:52 AM
I really like the warlock as a template but what kinds of things should the invocations be? Like I'd want to say one could be you have advantage on all jump checks but I don't think that fits with what Jedi can do because its not the Jedi are good at jumping but they can augment their jump to jump further/higher.

So would doubling your jump distance be good enough for an invocation?

Steampunkette
2015-05-22, 09:19 AM
Doubling jump distance would be fine. Though you could just flatly -define- jumping distance.

"When using this invocation you jump an additional 5ft per Jedi level"

That'll fling you anywhere from 7ft to over 100ft at high end.

intregus
2015-05-22, 11:35 AM
That's awesome. You don't think that's too good?

I guess my biggest struggle is figuring out what force abilities/powers should be invocations vs spells. Any thoughts on that?

Steampunkette
2015-05-22, 12:41 PM
No. I don't really feel like it's too powerful. Just make it eat their move action and you're golden.

Alternately give it a limited number of uses per short rest.

What other abilities did you want for them? I imagine Suggestion could work as a pretty great invocation or power...

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-05-22, 02:54 PM
Invocations to increase their senses, either to allow for their usual precognitive reflexes, or to allow the DM to drop a plot hook via "eerie dream". Invocations to increase their Force Lift weight (although I considered that being just a basic class feature). Force Lightning/Force Lightning Variants (there seem to be differences between Palpatine's, Dooku's, Starkiller's, and other's lightning effects).

In general, passive abilities or buffs to things.

HockeyPokeyBard
2015-06-08, 07:56 PM
Hey I am loving where this is going and I don't have a lot to chime in crunch wise, it all seems to be on point. However with the force, I think all classes should at least be able to use it in some form akin to the Action Points system. Its shown quite often that one doesn't need to be trained in the force to use it and it shows up in things like pure luck when it's needed most. Then Jedi can use it through force points and whatever because of training. But also, on the power level scale, try to remember that players won't be playing average. A first level bounty hunter is still parsecs ahead of a mook with a blaster. A padawan with their first lightsaber would be on par with a well trained or highly talented first level bounty hunter. It just makes the non force using classes exceptional in their feild, which is kinda what a padawan is anyway...

- posting on my phone, excuse grammar and/or spelling please

Fresh
2015-09-13, 04:34 PM
This is something I want to do.

Except for this thread, this is some resources, ideas and such that I've gathered from other sources:

Early Jedi build from Tribality (could work more for a Jedi Guardian): http://tribality.com/2014/10/07/star-wars-jedi-dd-5e-build/
Newbie DM (http://newbiedm.com/2015/06/24/lets-build-a-5e-based-star-wars/) has started an provided an awesome preview of three races (rodian (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56oe0eWddrucVJjYVJFRVlJUjg/view), twi’lek (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56oe0eWddruUVZHWm9fLWdoOVE/view) and bothan (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B56oe0eWddruamhZVEdqd19rVDg/view)) that one can tweak or just accept. The Human and Variant Human seems like natural choices to keep as well. Dragonborns (with some changes to breath weapons and resistance) as Trandoshans maybe?
The official preview of future weapons (laser rifles etc) from the DMG: http://tribality.com/2014/10/24/dmg-5e-preview-fire-arms-explosives-and-alien-technology-table-of-contents-unlocked/
Unearthed Arcana: Modern Magic (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_ModernMagic.pdf) seems like a cool source to dig from as well. The earlier addition with the "My New d20 Modern Campaign (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign)" can be used as reference, then just rename them. Stormtrooper armor anyone? :)

Either way, I think these things can help flesh out a homebrew Star Wars campaign somehow.
I must say, I am more keen on setting Jedi's to the monk class, or even a multiclass. Think about Kotor 1 - you start off as a Scoundrel for example, and become a Jedi later. In 5e essence, you start out as a Rogue and become a Monk later. Or Monk first then Warlock.

The easier transision from existing rules, the better. But some serious tweaking may be in order for it to run a whole campaign smoothly.

Terenfel
2015-09-17, 08:37 AM
i have been working on the same thing lately. its currently a beta, and i am testing it with a group right now. so far its going well. the group knows its a beta and we change and add new content as we find the need.
(English is not my first language so bear with me :) )

well here is the file. (you might want to download it to use the bookmarks)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5EdwATdXj8XVGJvcEItNV9Xc3M/view?usp=sharing

Terenfel
2015-09-17, 08:43 AM
some of my ideas was that jedi and sith and other force traditions should be backgrounds. and all classes should have the option of being force sensitive. so you could play a soldier jedi, or force adept jedi. (one prefered lightsaber combat the other force powers) or any other of the classes, this way you can have a whole party of jedi's each with a different class.

also i wanted the damage to be higher, as i wanted the world to be more deadly, currently its feeling like its a bit to high. but as it is now i can copy all weapons from saga edition without much work to change them.

Terenfel
2015-09-18, 06:34 AM
just finished my charactor sheet for the conversion system
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5EdwATdXj8XSUpsTVR1RU9ISE0/view?usp=sharing

Dracom_blade
2015-10-14, 01:26 PM
i have been trying to do this conversion too. its been hard trying to work out the classes themselves because saga let you build what you wanted more or less. trying to stuff all that into a 'class' has been hard. I have not been about to come up with something I like at least. other parts I have got worked out, light sabers blaster so on. the equipment was all easy enough. its the classes that got me.

what I loved about saga is if you had freedom, 5e is less free, and I find it hard to give you the same free to build as you wish feel in a arch type class.

Giegue
2016-05-29, 08:24 AM
Terenfel, I really like your conversion, but have one big, big issue with it: the weapon proficiencies. As it stands, scoundrels only have proficiency with medieval weaponry without a feat and that just does not seem right for a star wars RPG, especially considering how iconic the blaster pistol is the archetypal scoundrel, Han Solo. So, if I where to suggest one change it would be to have blaster pistols, vibrodaggers and frag grenades all be simple weapons. Other that that one important change, I LOVE your conversion and plan on playing it with the change above.

VengeancePally4
2017-02-19, 05:12 PM
Is this a thing? I would love to play a game of this if it is

Giegue
2017-02-19, 08:54 PM
This project is dead, sadly I posted on it last and nothing came out of it. You're the first to respond/care in months. That being said, there is an exsisting Star Wars conversion I found, but it is of dubious quality. It handles spaceships/tech and non-force classes very well, but force-users are very poorly done. Jedi, for example, which are based on the Warlock, are OP, being a more feature-loaded warlock that trades mystic arcanum and invocations for a bunch of features from the monk and a whopping d10 HD. (Oh, and one of the archetypes restores mystic arcanum to the class, too). The other force traditions beyond the Jedi (sith included) are all lumped into a single class (Adept), which is also bleh and basically just a re-flufffed cleric. Even further, the conversion has some feats that are disgustingly broken (Including one that lets you deal *any amount of damage you want* to an enemy when you use a force power/spell against them. (reguardless of whether or not it actually deals damage) and some of the spaceships accessories/functions are also worded very poorly/unclearly. That being said, it gives us a decent "basis" to work off of if we want to revive this project; the tech specialist and noble classes are particularly well done. (and the only ones that are not just refluffs of PHB classes), and the spaceship stats are good when it comes to the things that actually are written coherently...

That being said, this conversion is 100% unconnected to these forums, and is only available via scribid. (I can link the download, but you'll have to sign up for the scribit free trial if you want it...and may even need to pay money to scribid (Unless you can write a book, term paper or something else scribid considers "quality" to download it for free) if you want access to it for more than 1 month) but trust me, it's really not worth it.) It's hardly the best take I've seen, though, so I would be very much interested in reviving this project if we could get some interested people. Thing is, I am pretty aweful when it comes to 5e balance. I am very much a product of the 3.5e era and as a result homebrewing for 5e is not easy for me. 5e's balance tends to, for whatever reason, not seem to "click" with me when it comes to homebrew and what I make always ends up being too underpowered, too OP, or not particularly unbalanced but disliked despite for "not feeling like 5e." So while I have some good/rough ideas for some 5e star wars stuff, I could in no way do this conversion it on my own and would need some of the others who where trying this originally, or a new team, to revive this...

If you are even half-way decent with 5e balance/homebrewing and would be interested in helping to revive this, though, please, feel free to make yourself new team member #1. I actually have a group of people from the star wars corners of reddit itching to play a 5e star wars conversion so if we get a team and get something workable, we have playtester.

Ghost Dragon
2017-02-19, 09:24 PM
This project is dead, sadly I posted on it last and nothing came out of it. You're the first to respond/care in months. That being said, there is an exsisting Star Wars conversion I found, but it is of dubious quality. It handles spaceships/tech and non-force classes very well, but force-users are very poorly done. Jedi, for example, which are based on the Warlock, are OP, being a more feature-loaded warlock that trades mystic arcanum and invocations for a bunch of features from the monk and a whopping d10 HD. (Oh, and one of the archetypes restores mystic arcanum to the class, too). The other force traditions beyond the Jedi (sith included) are all lumped into a single class (Adept), which is also bleh and basically just a re-flufffed cleric. Even further, the conversion has some feats that are disgustingly broken (Including one that lets you deal *any amount of damage you want* to an enemy when you use a force power/spell against them. (reguardless of whether or not it actually deals damage) and some of the spaceships accessories/functions are also worded very poorly/unclearly. That being said, it gives us a decent "basis" to work off of if we want to revive this project; the tech specialist and noble classes are particularly well done. (and the only ones that are not just refluffs of PHB classes), and the spaceship stats are good when it comes to the things that actually are written coherently...

That being said, this conversion is 100% unconnected to these forums, and is only available via scribid. (I can link the download, but you'll have to sign up for the scribit free trial if you want it...and may even need to pay money to scribid (Unless you can write a book, term paper or something else scribid considers "quality" to download it for free) if you want access to it for more than 1 month) but trust me, it's really not worth it.) It's hardly the best take I've seen, though, so I would be very much interested in reviving this project if we could get some interested people. Thing is, I am pretty aweful when it comes to 5e balance. I am very much a product of the 3.5e era and as a result homebrewing for 5e is not easy for me. 5e's balance tends to, for whatever reason, not seem to "click" with me when it comes to homebrew and what I make always ends up being too underpowered, too OP, or not particularly unbalanced but disliked despite for "not feeling like 5e." So while I have some good/rough ideas for some 5e star wars stuff, I could in no way do this conversion it on my own and would need some of the others who where trying this originally, or a new team, to revive this...

If you are even half-way decent with 5e balance/homebrewing and would be interested in helping to revive this, though, please, feel free to make yourself new team member #1. I actually have a group of people from the star wars corners of reddit itching to play a 5e star wars conversion so if we get a team and get something workable, we have playtester.

Hey peeps,

Giegue I havent been on this thread for a while, but I have play tested that version you referenced from scribid and completely agree with your assessment. That being said I feel that the other classes and races have been done fairly well, and it makes a great starting point to refine and edit from there. I do not feel I am the best homebrewer out there but I have been playing 5E non stop since its release (I was a 3.5 child before that too hehe) and have made quite a few homebrews so I would love to try and revive this with you.....

So.... What first? I have actually started with a re-tune of the Jedi from the afore mentioned scribid version, so maybe post that here and go from there? Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Giegue
2017-02-19, 11:02 PM
Sure, working on getting better force users would be a start. Though, honestly, I don't think "Jedi" should be a class....instead, force traditions (Jedi, Sith etc..) should be backgrounds and an RP choice, with force user classes being force-tradition agnostic and able to use either Wisdom (light side) or Charisma (dark side) as their primary force attribute. Of course, this is just my opinion, if you think having a class just for Jedi, and one just for sith etc.. is the way to to go it could be done, though I think tradition agnostic force classes, with the actual tradition you follow being a RP/backgroun choice, would be the best route to go fluff-wise.

Crunch-wise though your Jedi could certainly be ported as-is into the game, even if we strip it of the Jedi fluff and make it a general force-user class. However, if we do that, I still think we should make a second force user class to represent more "spellcaster-y" force-users like Palpatine and Snoke...or, if your a fan of the Old Republic MMO Sith Inquisitors and Jedi Consulars....since the Jedi from that conversion was pretty heavy on the lightsaber and pretty light on the force magic (which is expected considering it was based on the warlock)

However, despite all of that, I still think posting up your Jedi would be a smart and awesome idea. I'd love to see how you re-worked the class, and even if we do go with generic force user classes a lot of the ideas you have/had could be used in such classes. I'm sure you did awesome work on the Jedi regardless, so seeing it would be cool!

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-02-20, 04:22 AM
Huh, so this is back...kinda?

Just to throw something out there I've been struggling with for a long while doing my own conversions for SW, but I don't think Force User can really be its own class. Force Users, at least the ones in current canon and the OT, don't get as many super-awesome powers as they do in the various video games and novels. There's two ways I would go:

Force Powers and membership in a Force Organization like the Jedi or Sith is entirely background and Feat based. Soemthing like Magic Initiate (maybe with a few extra spells/cantrips) would be perfect to replicate the more subtle Force Powers of the movies, while also allowing someone who WANTED to grab a flashy power the opportunity.
Or we can make a Force User archetype for every mundane class. I imagine that would end up looking like either a pseudo-Warlock Spell and Invocation progression, or something like a Paladin Oath. I pull for the former, with the idea of using Invocations as small packets of cantrips and spells as well as static Force Powers.

Outside of that, we'd also need to carefully cull the spell lists and make a few new ones.

Giegue
2017-02-20, 09:12 AM
I still think force users should be their own classes. Granted, the new canon scalled them back a bit, but they still get enough things to make a class, I think. Likewise, a *lot* of people will Not be happy about the fact they can not have force stuff at level 1. I, personally, know that I'd never play a star wars game if I could not have force powers at 1st level. So yes, force users should still be their own classes because a lot of star wars fans would not ever touch a conversion that lacked the ability to have a character who can use the force and swing a lightsaber at level 1. Likewise, a lot of people still like/prefer the EU, so drawing from that for 1-2 classes is not that big a deal. Even further, a lot of people who favor the old canon probally want to play games in like, say, the KOTOR era etc...so not including the options for old canon things/excluding the old canon will turn away quite a few players. I for one know "NO FORCE POWERS AT LEVEL 1 RAWR" is a MASSIVE turn-off for me as a player, and I am sure it is for others too.

I do get what your comming from, but I think the best option is to meet you half-way. I think that we should have force-user classes, but include restrictions on force users as a part of a "campaign settings" mechanic instead of in the game itself. Like, you have "force-user" classes in core, but also have force archetypes for the mundanes, and then have a section on the EU/old canon vs. new canon, "the worlds of star wars" and state that if DMs want to best replicate the new canon, they should not allow the force-user classes. (But do not make this mandatory because some groups may prefer to have flashier force powers in a new canon game)...This gives the power to the DM without denying players the ability to play a force user at 1st level if they want. If a player wants to play a force-user at level 1, they just don't play with a DM who feels that the new canon would not allow for a force-user class to exsist. Likewise, if your a DM who dosen't like the idea of a new canon-based game having somebody who can swing a lightsaber and weild potent force abilities easily and quickly (as soon as level 1) then you can just ban the force-user classes in your game and only allow the force archetypes for the mundane classes.

In that case, everybody wins, and nobody loses.....so I think that would be the best route.

ALSO, I'd actually argue even if you wanted to stick strictly to new canon that a Warlock is not too "magic-y" to use as a basis of a force-user class. I mean, Warlocks hardly ever cast spells other than cantrips, really, and if you limit them thematically to certain spells that fit the force powers the new canon has (or make some new ones to fill in gaps) I think a force-user class that fits the new canon could absolutely be made if we want to exclude the EU/old canon from the game entirely. For such a class, the Warlock would be the perfect basis, since it doesn't cast much, and can be tooled into a great gish if you drop EB/agonizing blast from the class and give it some better melee features to compensate.

VengeancePally4
2017-02-20, 01:45 PM
I saw a basis for a pretty good option above, all of the classes have force availability and Sith/Jedi is a background that gives options similar to the Soldier Background from PHB it looked pretty good for player stuff. But lacked any worthwhile ship info.

VengeancePally4
2017-02-20, 01:46 PM
The link is at the top of the page

VengeancePally4
2017-02-20, 01:50 PM
It needs some editing, mainly scoundrels and possibly a devoted Bounty Hunter Class. I can work on that if we need one

VengeancePally4
2017-02-20, 02:02 PM
For Bounty Hunter i was thinking a Scoundrel Archetype with heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency. And possibly a jet pack proficiency for those Fett enthusiasts

VengeancePally4
2017-02-20, 02:15 PM
Also would this be easier in a Facebook Messenger Chat room? I feel like it would be easier to respond to ideas that way

VengeancePally4
2017-02-20, 02:34 PM
Not particularly. I never cared much for IRL text chat if only because I think a lot faster than I type and I tend to trip myself up. I also prefer to think on responses before posting.

Looking through the core book, I'd say the problem with the classes is how many get to stay full classes, and how many become subclasses and/or backgrounds. Like Noble. I hate the Noble class. I'd shunt it into the Scoundrel class or something. But I digress.

I like this subclass idea like in KOTOR and SWTOR

Giegue
2017-02-20, 02:57 PM
I like that idea as well, and the force user classes in that conversion are a nice base point, IMO. Some of the powers need work (force lightning and it's upgrades are broken as heck with a free stun on top of all that damage) and the force adept in particular seems broken (metamagic AND full, prepared, cleric-style casting)....but they are workable enough to draw from and turn into more useable force classes...

As for a facebook chat, no....because I am not on facebook, and can never join facebook other because I have very bad history with some people there that would dredge up all kinds of family drama...so just no. However, a discord chat is an alternative I'd be fine with, or skype IM.

If you like, I can make a discord chat and send you all the invite?

VengeancePally4
2017-02-20, 03:07 PM
I use Discord alot, so that would be fine with me ClericofWar#5190

Giegue
2017-02-20, 04:18 PM
Thanks! I just made a discord sever for this for those interested. The invite is here (https://discord.gg/EUkep). I also friended you Vengencepally.

Phantos_Argent
2017-02-22, 03:28 AM
This is just my two cents as someone working on a similar homebrew (just 5th edition in space), but one of the biggest issues I've always had with Star Wars rpgs in general is how weak the tech options are. In the aforementioned brew, I've addressed that a bit by separated powers by magic and technology. Explosives, drones, special weapons, powered armor, I've added them as class features. Soldiers receive more military training with explosives and speciality weapons, Criminals can hack enemy weaponry and active cloaking, while Professionals can heal using advanced medicine or bring robotic helpers. Most are based on original 5th edition classes, similar to how Pathinder turned the Rogue into a Ninja, but the Mystic, the Guardian, and the Professional will be original classes.

Ninjadeadbeard
2017-02-22, 04:53 PM
This is just my two cents as someone working on a similar homebrew (just 5th edition in space), but one of the biggest issues I've always had with Star Wars rpgs in general is how weak the tech options are. In the aforementioned brew, I've addressed that a bit by separated powers by magic and technology. Explosives, drones, special weapons, powered armor, I've added them as class features. Soldiers receive more military training with explosives and speciality weapons, Criminals can hack enemy weaponry and active cloaking, while Professionals can heal using advanced medicine or bring robotic helpers. Most are based on original 5th edition classes, similar to how Pathinder turned the Rogue into a Ninja, but the Mystic, the Guardian, and the Professional will be original classes.

My only issue with this is that it can seem like you're granting items as class features. Items can be stolen or taken away, which tends to put out players. And there's the versimilitude question: How does gaining experience automatically award me loot? Alternatively, why do I have to buy loot just to use my main class features?

It's a rough thing to get around in a sci-fi adventure game.

Phantos_Argent
2017-02-22, 08:20 PM
My only issue with this is that it can seem like you're granting items as class features. Items can be stolen or taken away, which tends to put out players. And there's the versimilitude question: How does gaining experience automatically award me loot? Alternatively, why do I have to buy loot just to use my main class features?

It's a rough thing to get around in a sci-fi adventure game.

Yeah, I admit that's a fairly large issue with it, but the only alternative is to just have technology focused abilities only be useable in certain situations. My primary workaround was to have players belong to specific factions, such as a military, crime syndicate, or similar group that was providing them with equipment based on experience and training. Another idea I was toying around with was forming a sort of Samus Aran situation, like a highly advanced piece of armor or weapon that provides what they can handle.