PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Knowing what I saved against?

BrackenAlistair
2015-02-13, 07:42 PM
I have simple question, if I succeed on a save do I know what/if something happened? Obviously if I roll reflex save against fireball I know what happened but what about fort save against disease/poison or will save against charm or dominate person? Do I have some idea what just happened (for example, the enemy wizard seems more agreeable for a moment but then it passes for charm or feeling a bit off for disease) or do I go blissfully unaware of what I just avoided?

Raven777
2015-02-13, 07:54 PM
Being targeted by an hostile effect counts as an attack. You notice.

AmberVael
2015-02-13, 07:57 PM
Succeeding on a Saving Throw
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

Can be found here on the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Is that all you need?

Edit: Ah, you also mention some other special abilities... well, disease is generally rolled secretly, though obviously if you fail a save later on it'll become obvious. Poison isn't specified, but given that it does initial damage you'll probably notice some change even if you don't know the source.
In general, other abilities will specify- I would probably default to the spell rules if they don't.

BowStreetRunner
2015-02-13, 08:03 PM
Can be found here on the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow)

Is that all you need?

I've looked through the Pathfinder rules but have not found a similar entry there. There it is, page 216 of the Core Rulebook. Same wording exactly.

AmberVael
2015-02-13, 08:05 PM
I've looked through the Pathfinder rules but have not found a similar entry there.

Oh. Right. Pathfinder. Glossed over that.

Hm...

I would probably go with the 3.5 rules if there is nothing to be found in PF. It isn't RAW, but if it isn't specified...

Edit: Ah. Well, that's good then.

BrackenAlistair
2015-02-13, 08:09 PM
So essentialy I know (as a character) I saved against something but unless there are obvious physical effects I get no information about what it was... Ok that was what I needed, Thanks

Zanos
2015-02-13, 08:59 PM
Being targeted with a spell does allow you a DC 25+SL kn arcana check to identify it, and you will know someone attempted something hostile on you regardless.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-13, 09:50 PM
Succeeding on a saving throw at least give you a"tingle" that lets you know something happened. But you don't necessarily know what the bad guy just failed to do to you.

It's worse for many skill checks that don't tell you what's going on if you fail.

DM: Roll a spot check and a knowledge nature check.
PC: 7 on spot. 11 on knowledge.
DM: Everything looks normal to you.

PC now wonders what they hell they missed spotting. But they are not supposed to know there was anything to spot or notice as weird.

Raven777
2015-02-14, 01:57 PM
Which is why, sometimes, you make them do these rolls anyway when there's absolutely nothing. The ensuing paranoid chaos as they comb an entire cave for no reason is glorious.

pi4t
2015-02-14, 02:09 PM
Alternatively, if they rolled plausibly high but didn't meet the DC, I tell them that they see some innocuous part of the scenery, or whatever, to hide the fact that they missed what the actual item was.

If they fail really badly, I'll go to ridiculous extremes in the other direction for humour: "You fail to see the ground in front of you and trip over."