PDA

View Full Version : Player Help New Character to fit in to a party

Shnigda
2015-02-13, 08:30 PM
Hey guys,
In my campaign I am currently playing an Elf Rogue (not at all optimised, just going for what seems cool). I have been told that I need to have a backup character, so I am looking for some ideas for a new character. I cannot play the same sort of character (so if I were playing a wizard, I cannot then play another caster).
In the party at the moment we have a fighter, a bard, a rogue (me), a cleric, a paladin and a new character is being introduced next week (I think they are a wizard).
Any suggestions for cool character ideas or fun classes to play would be much appreciated!
(The new character would join at around level 5. I think I would also be able to play an assassin if they are any good, perhaps some sort of drow assassin?)

Karl Aegis
2015-02-13, 08:35 PM
What books do you have available? What do you think is "cool"? For me, Elves are the lamest thing you can actually be, especially when you can be a human Warblade.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-02-13, 08:48 PM
Barbarian/Ranger is always fun. Shoot at things until they're close enough to charge them, then rage.

Flickerdart
2015-02-13, 09:11 PM
Well, between Fighter and Paladin, you have gullible frontliners covered. Without the rogue your only skill guy is the Bard. Check out Beguiler, Factotum, Swordsage, and Scout - they'll fill the skills role while being different from Rogues.

Shnigda
2015-02-13, 09:13 PM
I have all books available to me, though would rather not play as a swordsage type player as it is far too confusing for me to know when to use what...
Also, on the topic of the Barb/Ranger, how would you suggest setting that up? Should I use a Tarmak Barbarian in order to get access to the Tarmak War Paint?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-13, 09:36 PM
If you're set on barbarian, you'll want the feats Extra Rage, Power Attack, Intimidating Rage, Imperious Command, Instantaneous Rage, Leap Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, the skill trick Never Outnumbered and you'll want the alternate class features Spirit Lion Totem, Wolf Totem and Whirling Frenzy. Only take two levels of Barbarian, nothing scales at a reasonable rate. Leap Attack Pounce Charge at someone, go into a rage mid-air and frighten everyone near you while (hopefully) killing someone. Grab a guisarme so you can use your wolf totem. Steadfast Determination might also be useful, if only so you can dump wisdom.

FishBonePendant
2015-02-13, 09:40 PM
If you're set on barbarian, you'll want the feats Extra Rage, Power Attack, Intimidating Rage, Imperious Command...

Pretty hilarious that you put Extra Rage before Power Attack on a Barbarian.

On another note: A Scout based around melee combat has been one of the most fun characters I've ever had. Getting into Elusive Target (Complete Warrior) as soon as possible and putting my points into DEX, CON, Tumble, Escape Artist, and the other mobility skills so I can flop my damage all over every battlefield was awesome.

Later in the campaign I even had a local wizard (DM was kind enough to allow custom magic items so long as we weren't ***** about it. One player was... his characters got killed a lot) craft me an anklet that gave me a permanent Haste effect on me. (Best 6250 gold I ever spent).

Plus the mission to gather a bunch of licorice root for the spell was really fun.

Blackhawk748
2015-02-13, 09:51 PM
I have all books available to me, though would rather not play as a swordsage type player as it is far too confusing for me to know when to use what...
Also, on the topic of the Barb/Ranger, how would you suggest setting that up? Should I use a Tarmak Barbarian in order to get access to the Tarmak War Paint?

Well this depends what your doing, if you want a "Backup style" then you use a bow and plink away till they get close, then drop the bow and charge with your Two Hander, screaming like crazy.

A build i greatly enjoyed was Lion Spirit Totem Ferocity Barbarian/ Rapid Shot Ranger/Hit and Run Fighter/Dread Commando. He dual wielded Hand Axes and if he finished something off he would whip an axe into the next target (they had returning so this was fine) then charge the next target. Not real optimized, but he worked, did respectable damage to flat footed opponents and had a few secondary uses (Tracking anyone?)

WeaselGuy
2015-02-13, 11:55 PM
Well this depends what your doing, if you want a "Backup style" then you use a bow and plink away till they get close, then drop the bow and charge with your Two Hander, screaming like crazy.

A build i greatly enjoyed was Lion Spirit Totem Ferocity Barbarian/ Rapid Shot Ranger/Hit and Run Fighter/Dread Commando. He dual wielded Hand Axes and if he finished something off he would whip an axe into the next target (they had returning so this was fine) then charge the next target. Not real optimized, but he worked, did respectable damage to flat footed opponents and had a few secondary uses (Tracking anyone?)

Pfft, dropping your bow is for pansies. If you don't have an elvencraft longbow, you're not doing it right.

(btw, Elvencraft Longbow is in Races of the Wild, and is crafted in such a way as to function in melee as a quarterstaff, and you can weave shots in with your strikes.)

Izmister
2015-02-14, 12:02 AM
Don't forget str/x compound bow, makes barb as good as any ranger.