PDA

View Full Version : Exceptionally low ability scores

Human Paragon 3
2015-02-13, 09:45 PM
I noticed that the point buy does not allow you to purchase exceptionally low scores. It's still possible to role them, but I get the sense that 5e is an edition without PC scores lower than 8 as a design choice.

What if a player wanted to RP a character that had an exceptionally low Int or Str as a role-playing challenge? Or any score really?

There aren't really guidelines for this. Clearly you could just give yourself a low stat and play it, and the game would probably work fine. But if you're using point buy, would you as a DM give some other boon to make up for this? What would an acceptable trade off be? I'm very wary of giving out bonus feats or letting players tank a score to get a 20 in their primary stat at level 1.

heavyfuel
2015-02-13, 09:51 PM
Point buy doesn't allow for exceptionally high stats either...

Anyway, if a player wants a low stat for RP reasons, let them have it, for RP reasons. Too often RP is used to disguise munchkinry, like, for example, a player playing an Int 3 character (which is the best dump stat for non Int casters) just to have another stat start at 18 plus racial mod.

Daishain
2015-02-13, 09:55 PM
I'd rather leave the temptation of min maxing off the table. 8 intelligence is already pretty... limited in terms of mental faculties, and one can role-play it even dumber without the need to actually reduce that score.

xyianth
2015-02-13, 10:17 PM
I agree that I would not let them dump a stat just to pump others. One thing you could do is give them the lucky feat in exchange. (if you must give them something at all) This is a great feat, but it won't overpower anyone and could kind of represent the extra luck the character might have to rely on due to their disability. I would not give a bonus feat of the players choice however, as that will lead to pure munchkinery. (no idea if that is a word, but I like it)