PDA

View Full Version : Arcanist Paladin?

malonkey1
2015-02-13, 11:06 PM
I want to play a Paladin, but one that focuses on more Wizard-like casting, and I have access to pretty much all 3.5 setting-neutral (Completes, Hot/Cold/Wet/Not Outside, BoED, etc.) and FR books, and I might be able to use Dragon stuff (especially Dragon Compendium). I already know about Sword of the Arcane Order, but I wondered if there was a better way. Losing Paladin is a deal-breaker (although variant Paladins are a possibility), as is simply jumping into arcane-casting prestige classes. I don't want to be a Paladin with arcane spells, I want an Arcane Paladin.

Any advice?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-13, 11:13 PM
Did you want a High One Warrior Wizard from the Champions of Valor Web Enhancement? They need at least 2 levels of Paladin and can take substitution levels that improve Wizards in Paladin armor.

Michael7123
2015-02-13, 11:15 PM
You could possibly use the unearthed Arcana sorcerer variant that lets you wear light armor with no armor check penalty. The spells would work off your charisma modifier, which should already be high as a paladin.

Pick up the battle caster (or battle casting, I forget the name exactly) that will let you wear up to medium armor with no check penalty, then get Mithril Fullplate.

Pick up the practiced spellcaster feat to boost spellcasting 4 levels.

WhamBamSam
2015-02-13, 11:21 PM
What, exactly, is the difference between a Paladin with arcane spells and an Arcane Paladin? What exactly don't you like about Sword of the Arcane Order? It's probably your best option while still being a Paladin.

A Sha'ir can get into Prestige Paladin by way of Sacred Exorcist and Southern Magician, I suppose. I sort of doubt that's what you're looking for though.

malonkey1
2015-02-13, 11:25 PM
Did you want a High One Warrior Wizard from the Champions of Valor Web Enhancement? They need at least 2 levels of Paladin and can take substitution levels that improve Wizards in Paladin armor.

Seems like a good start. I don't like giving up BAB like that, but it's certainly a start. Hard to find a PrC that can advance my casting fully and still have good BAB, AND also keep up my smite. I can see smiting going by the wayside, though.

A Tad Insane
2015-02-13, 11:26 PM
While I don't know of a wizard paladin besides arcane order, Sorcadin is a thing

WhamBamSam
2015-02-13, 11:31 PM
Seems like a good start. I don't like giving up BAB like that, but it's certainly a start. Hard to find a PrC that can advance my casting fully and still have good BAB, AND also keep up my smite. I can see smiting going by the wayside, though.If you can shenanigans your way into getting Divine Favor on your wizard spell list (say through Arcane Disciple) or just take Paladin to 4th level, then Fist of Raziel will do what you want.

EDIT: Nevermind, the text specifies a divine spellcasting class, even if the table doesn't.

malonkey1
2015-02-14, 12:33 AM
If you can shenanigans your way into getting Divine Favor on your wizard spell list (say through Arcane Disciple) or just take Paladin to 4th level, then Fist of Raziel will do what you want.

EDIT: Nevermind, the text specifies a divine spellcasting class, even if the table doesn't.

Yeah, I know. That tripped me up at first glance, too.