PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a problem player...when you're not the GM

USS Sorceror
2015-02-14, 01:54 AM
Hey all.

So I've been in this campaign for a while and I've been having fun with it...except for one guy (I'll call him H). While pretty much everyone else is able to remain pretty engaged and wants to further the plot, H walks off from the table, pays more attention to what the GMs family is watching on Netflix, and plays with the GMs kid. When he does engage in the game, he derails the GM from focusing on the plot and our characters trying to move it forward to have inane conversations, focus on innocuous plot details, and generally just screw about.

I've actually dealt with him being like this in campaigns I've run. Missing so many sessions and then being annoyed when he's behind on plot, generally derailing from major plot points for various reasons, never ever letting a campaign have a serious moment even with other players were definitely trying to be serious. I provided him an out by saying I noticed his schedule has been affecting his ability to play and it seems like he's not having as much fun. He left, the campaign improved, everyone was happy. But like I say in the title, I'm not the GM.

So what do you do when there's a problem player and you're just another player? It's a little awkward because of how tight knit our social group is, and I am wanting to talk to the GM, but I am specifically wondering how to break to someone they are the problem without causing them to be so butthurt about it that it wrecks other social occasions.

NikitaDarkstar
2015-02-14, 02:01 AM
Talk to the GM about it. If it's as bad as you say it is he can't be oblivious about it, and he's the one who needs to sort it out, not you, so talk to the GM. Prefferably outside of normal game time and such.

Kid Jake
2015-02-14, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Nikita; this is something the DM needs to sort out. From what you said he's the one hosting these events and it'd be more than a little presumptuous to suggest that one of his guests shouldn't be there without his consent; even if it does sound like the game would be better off without him.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-14, 03:13 AM
If the system itself doesn't allow players to reward players for enhancing the experience with mechanical benefits, you can always use food as a reward for good behavior. Salted nuts are inexpensive and come in adequate quantities, but some people are allergic. If you give something as a reward, you encourage the behavior and the other players get hints of what to do if they want the reward. Using a reward system helps with socialization better than using a punishment system that less friendly organizations would use.

Kid Jake
2015-02-14, 03:21 AM
Seems like most people would be somewhat offended at having treats tossed at them like a dog for meeting your arbitrary definition of acceptable.

Mr Beer
2015-02-14, 03:31 AM
Talk to the GM, but also talk to the other players, casually and individually first. Fact is, if it doesn't bother anyone else and you have no power in this situation in the sense that you're not hosting or GM-ing...it's your problem. If it pisses off other people and they're prepared to say so, that helps your cause.

VincentTakeda
2015-02-14, 03:46 AM
I dont often game.

But when I do.
I only play with 'Pavlov's players.'
Stay thirsty my friends.

saeval
2015-02-14, 04:35 AM
I mean, sounds like he isn't Ideal to game with, but you basically described someone socializing well with the GM's family, which attention deficit or not, is a pretty nice thing all around.

USS Sorceror
2015-02-14, 12:28 PM
I talked with two other players right after the session and they're actually the ones who started complaining first. We could probably approach the GM as a group; the problem is I don't know if there is a time we could all meet the GM where problem player isn't around.

Kiero
2015-02-14, 12:40 PM
If the system itself doesn't allow players to reward players for enhancing the experience with mechanical benefits,

Even if it did, you can't fix out of game problems with in-game solutions.

hymer
2015-02-14, 01:14 PM
I talked with two other players right after the session and they're actually the ones who started complaining first. We could probably approach the GM as a group; the problem is I don't know if there is a time we could all meet the GM where problem player isn't around.

Well, call player A and B (one at a time if required) and tell them you intend to call the DM and talk about H. Do you have their leave to express their annoyance too? What, if anything in particular, would they like mentioned? Then call the DM. Or have A and B call the DM and do it yourself as well.
The logistics shouldn't be insurmountable.

Obak
2015-02-14, 05:58 PM
I guess he just hangs around because all of his friends are playing? Since he dont seems to be present at every game, maybe you could suggest playing some other kind of game when he is present and rpg when he is not?

kyoryu
2015-02-14, 06:14 PM
"Hey, you know, what you're doing kinda bugs me. This is the negative effect it has on me. Think you could stop it? I'd really appreciate it." Don't make a big stink out of it, as that tends to get people more defensive.

If that fails, decide how bad it is and if you can put up with it. Talk to the GM or the other players if you think that will help. But ultimately, the decision you have to make is whether it's better to game with the negative behavior, or to not game with that group.

If you decide it's not worth gaming with that behavior, then tell the GM so, and that if it doesn't change, you'll be leaving. And if it doesn't change, leave.

If you decide it is worth it, then do your best to ignore it and focus on the fun stuff you *are* getting out of the game.