PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next "Love and Peace" Oath of the Passive Way

Amnoriath
2015-02-14, 07:35 AM
This may seem a little corny to some, I thought that with this system and that technically you often don't kill creatures that a concept like this could be very workable.

Oath of the Passive Way
http://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/1/1f/Accipiter_Paladin.jpg
"Don't you understand? I wanted to save both!" Vash the Stampede
Non-aggression: You must not intentionally initiate any fights. You may choose to defend another being but you must not make the first attack.

Peace: Your goal in life is so that all beings may learn to coexist or at least leave one another alone. If that isn't possible you may choose to defend a side of your choice.

Value of Life: All life has value, even evil creatures. If possible you must refrain from killing them and you must be mindful of your own existence.

Empathy: You must learn to understand whatever side of conflicts if at all possible.

Oath Spells

Level 3: Expeditious Retreat, Sanctuary
Level 5: Calm Emotions, Warding Bond
Level 9: Protection from Energy, Slow
Level 13: Divination, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
Level 17: Hold Monster, Wall of Force

Channel Divinity

Serene Ward: At level 3 as an action you can expend a Channel Divinity use to give yourself or one creature with in 60 feet of you a bonus to their AC equal to your charisma modifier for 1 minute.

Turn the Aggressor: At level 3 as an action you can expend a Channel Divinity use to force a hostile intelligent creature within 60 feet of you to make a Wisdom save equal to your spell save DC or become incapacitated until the beginning of your next turn. So long as no hostility is shown towards them during that time it becomes Friendly for 1 minute. All of you must continue not to be hostile otherwise they become hostile again. If they succeed on the save they are immune to this for 24 hours.

Aura of Empathy: At level 7 attacks against you as well as friendly creatures with in 10 feet of you have disadvantage. If a creature damages a friendly creature you have advantage on the next attack you make against it. If another ally is damaged before you attack you must choose one creature to have advantage against. However, if you would use an ability that could deal hit point damage to another creature this aura is suppressed until the beginning of your next turn. The range becomes 30 feet at level 18.

Bearer of Peace: At level 15 select an ability score and you become proficient in its saving throw as well as gaining 1 hit point per level of Paladin you have. Additionally if a creature with in 30 feet of you were to take hit point damage you can use your reaction to halve the damage taken taking the other half yourself(minimum 1).

Tranquil Aegis: At level 20 as an action you can enter a state of passivity and defense. While the changes aren't necessarily obvious it often has something to do with either displaying the horrors of violence such as wounds you have taken over the years, or what could be without the violence occurring. You gain the following benefits for 1 minute.

You and allies within 30 feet of you gain 25 temporary hit points. A creature can only benefit from the hit points once. Enemies treat this as difficult terrain.
As long as you aren't incapacitated creatures can't make attacks with advantage against you nor do you roll saves with disadvantage.
As a bonus action you can force all enemies within 30 feet of you to make a Charisma save or become charmed until the beginning of your next turn. If an attack is made against them by you or your allies they are allowed another save attempt with advantage.

Once you have used this ability you must complete a long rest to use it again.

DiBastet
2015-02-14, 09:40 AM
I see the potential of healer and tank on this oath, but I can't actually point where they would shine... Not that this makes it bad or something.

One technical issue: "attacks against you as well as friendly creatures with in 10 feet of you have disadvantage on attacks against you". As I see the final "on attacks against you" is an editing error.

Style issue: I wouldn't make this turn the creature not-hostile. Maybe charmed for some time and adding that it becomes open to cease the hostility depending on the paladin's and his friends' actions instead. You know, to open up some roleplay and all.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-14, 09:54 AM
Oh... Passive Way...

I came here thinking it said Passion Way... Totally was expecting a seductive paladin archetype. Figured Lancelot may find ally get shown in d&d haha.

DiBastet
2015-02-14, 10:10 AM
Passion way... a paladin based on Charm Whatever... You know, my games had in fact a hot half-orc paladin of the goddess os love, beauty and music...

That, sir, could make a great subclass! :smallcool:

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-14, 10:25 AM
Passion way... a paladin based on Charm Whatever... You know, my games had in fact a hot half-orc paladin of the goddess os love, beauty and music...

That, sir, could make a great subclass! :smallcool:

Last note as to not jack the thread, but... Do it...

Anyways...

Serene Ward might be a bit much. Could you make it a reaction such as Shield, usable on others, and at range? Passive Way seems like a good idea to have reaction channel divinity since you are about reacting to violence.

Amnoriath
2015-02-14, 11:45 AM
I see the potential of healer and tank on this oath, but I can't actually point where they would shine... Not that this makes it bad or something.

Style issue: I wouldn't make this turn the creature not-hostile. Maybe charmed for some time and adding that it becomes open to cease the hostility depending on the paladin's and his friends' actions instead. You know, to open up some roleplay and all.

Serene Ward might be a bit much. Could you make it a reaction such as Shield, usable on others, and at range? Passive Way seems like a good idea to have reaction channel divinity since you are about reacting to violence.

1. It functions as a tank/support using more non-violent means to end conflict.
2. I had something like that but I was sort of juggling it with the capstone and this seemed to be the simplest. It also is a little odd that a hostile creature is all of a sudden helpful when it only targets such. It also is an issue in balancing against Charm Monster.
3. Well, I was using the Holy Weapon as a means to judge power. While the reaction would make sense not only are all Paladin abilities at this are actions they have a duration. So it becomes an ultimate usefulness.

Amnoriath
2015-02-14, 04:41 PM
Update: Fixed typos and slightly changed the turn the aggressor feature. I would like to know how does my capstone compare to the others.

DiBastet
2015-02-15, 08:03 AM
Capstone seems ok; you even based part of it on an already existing ability, so that's bonus points imho.

The "problem" with well-made subclasses (imo: not too powerful, not giving raw numbers, basing the power on other subclasses and being conservative) is that, well, there's not much to help besides pointing a typo or something a little off...

I guess this one is finished, now go and make the Passion Way :smalltongue:

Amnoriath
2015-02-16, 10:18 AM
Well, thanks then. I just kind of wish someone would play test it as mostly I do one shots every once in a while.

paladin_carvin
2017-01-21, 12:27 PM
Hey! Just found this. Rather like it! I'm going to modify it a bit for my needs, though. I'm playing a paladin that focuses on social justice (he's kind of a goblin that's kind of a 'what if Redcloak had become a good guy?' sort of vibe). I've played him a bit and he's avoided killing quite well (and kept his compatriots mostly peaceful too!). But I wanted an oath that fit him. I'll give you the results of my homebrew when finished.

And yes, I opened this account for the first time in like... seven years... just to send this thanks.

Amnoriath
2017-01-21, 11:18 PM
Hey! Just found this. Rather like it! I'm going to modify it a bit for my needs, though. I'm playing a paladin that focuses on social justice (he's kind of a goblin that's kind of a 'what if Redcloak had become a good guy?' sort of vibe). I've played him a bit and he's avoided killing quite well (and kept his compatriots mostly peaceful too!). But I wanted an oath that fit him. I'll give you the results of my homebrew when finished.

And yes, I opened this account for the first time in like... seven years... just to send this thanks.
Well thank you, I greatly appreciate it.:smallsmile: