PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shot on the run + burrow

darni
2015-02-14, 09:56 AM
I'm building an encounter against a monster able to burrow (a ghoul with the "Warren Digger" feat from Monster Codex) which also has th "Shot on the run" feat (it has ranger levels).

While planning the encounter, I realized that a very effective strategy would be to stay underground, and each round pop out, shoot an arrow, and burrow again.

My questions are:

I am interpreting the rules ok, is that legal?
Did I miss something that makes this strategy uneffective
What kind of things could a player do to counter this? (I don't want to build a frustrating encounter).

stack
2015-02-14, 11:06 AM
Easiest counter is to ready a ranged attack/spell to hit the ghoul when it pops up. Or channel energy with the turn undead feat, again with a readied action.

Psyren
2015-02-14, 11:24 AM
The players can also throw up a fog effect (e.g. obscuring mist or a smokestick) and the ghoul will be unable to target them if he pops up outside the area. He can fire into their square but the 50% miss chance before factoring in AC makes this unlikely to be effective.

They can also use a wind effect to shut down the ghoul's archery completely, though I don't know what level they are.

darni
2015-02-14, 12:16 PM
Thanks, both posts have viable ideas... I'll try to hint my players into them if they get too stuck :smallwink: