PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit Characters Statistics

JaminDM
2015-02-14, 11:54 AM
Firstly, please don't have a go at me for liking the hobbit films; it's my brother who wants to know!

Please may somebody help me by doing the stats for the dwarves, Azog, Bard, Bain, Master of Lake Town, Alfrid, Tauriel, Thranduil, Beorn, Goblin King, Bolg, Dain, Saruman, Radagast, Galadriel, Elrond and one of the three Trolls, Thrain and Thrór.

Also, some Silmarillion ones: Tom Bombadil, Balrog, Celeborn, Fangorn, Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden, King of the Dead, Faramir, Isildur, Elendil, Gil-Galad, Sauron (Second Age) and the Mouth of Sauron.

I need their class, level, strength, dexterity, intelligence, charisma and feats.

Thank You!

Sam K
2015-02-14, 12:04 PM
Firstly, please don't have a go at me for liking the hobbit films; it's my brother who wants to know!

Can anybody do stats for the dwarves, Azog, Bard, Bain, Master of Lake Town, Alfrid, Tauriel, Thranduil, Beorn, Goblin King, Bolg, Dain, Saruman, Radagast, Galadriel, Elrond and one of the three Trolls, Thrain and Thrór.

Yes.

Yes, anybody can.

JaminDM
2015-02-14, 12:08 PM
Yes.

Yes, anybody can.

*Mumble mumble mumble* #%$! *mumble mumble mumble*

Spore
2015-02-14, 12:16 PM
Personally I call Hobbit "The Tale of Umpteen Fighters and one Rogue" or: "How a party of fighters made a rogue look good".

Azog is a Fighter as well, Alfrid is an expert, most elves are rangers and Thranduil himself would make an expectional cavalier.

Andion Isurand
2015-02-14, 12:20 PM
My experience is somewhat limited to just 3.5 and Pathfinder, but...

If you don't mind comparing one author to another to get a sense of how the Hobbit's characters might measure up...

You could read some of the first few Shannara books written prior to August 2001, as they are listed in Dragon Magazine 286 on page 39. In that magazine, they drafted a number of stat blocks for the main heroes and villains in those books that you could take a look at after reading the books.

Gnome Alone
2015-02-14, 12:50 PM

Well, uh, you are asking for the "class, level, strength, dexterity, intelligence, charisma and feats" of 32 people. Fictional people for whom most of that information would just be an educated guess. Kind of an awful lot of work.

JaminDM
2015-02-14, 01:04 PM
Well, uh, you are asking for the "class, level, strength, dexterity, intelligence, charisma and feats" of 32 people. Fictional people for whom most of that information would just be an educated guess. Kind of an awful lot of work.

I know, but hopefully lots of people will contribute.

Telonius
2015-02-14, 01:05 PM
Tolkien's works are notoriously difficult to translate into D&D terms. There are certain assumptions about Middle-Earth that just aren't readily captured by the typical D&D mechanics. No Vancian casting, Elf stats are going to be pretty seriously altered, various human groups (Numenorean descended, versus things like the Rohirrim) having different racial characteristics, the fact that you could count on one hand the number of Half-Elves mentioned in the setting, "always evil" really means always evil... and that's not even getting into how you're supposed to stat something like one of the Wizards. If you really want to accurately capture what each of those characters you've listed are capable of doing in the setting, you'd have to do a complete rewrite of Truenamer and Bard. D&D is not the system for you.

That said, if I had to put some builds together using unmodified D&D:

For the Wizards, I'd say they're all polymorphed Solars who have had a lot of their features removed.
Galadriel: Sorcerer/Favored Soul Mystic Theurge
Bard the Guardsman: Ranger2/Fighter2
Master of Lake Town: Aristocrat2
Tauriel: Ranger6
Beorn: Barbarian/Bear Warrior
Elrond: Paladin12, with some alternate class feature that trades away his mount.
Dain: Fighter7/Dwarven Defender1
Troll: I believe there was a troll-like creature in one of the books (Races of Stone? One of the later Monster Manuals? Third party Bastards and Bloodlines?) that did turn to stone in the sunlight. Can't remember where it was, though.
And a bonus:
Bilbo: Rogue4/Fortune's Friend 2

Theoden: Knight6
Eomer: Knight6
Eowyn: Healer1/Knight5
Celeborn: kind of hard to stat, given the sparse description; I'd suggest something like Fighter/Monk (he's described as being extremely wise).
Balrog: use stats for Balor.
Fangorn: Advanced Treant, 21 HD
Sauron (second age): use stats for Dispater.
King of the Dead: Ghost. Base creature: Samurai/Ronin.
Mouth of Sauron: Who knows. Pick your build, all he has to do is speak loudly.
Tom Bombadil: use stats for the Lady of Pain.

Keldrin
2015-02-14, 01:18 PM
Lady of Pain for Tom made me laugh. Well done. And likely as good as you could get for a nebulous demi-deity. :)

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-14, 08:13 PM
Bard the Guardsman: Ranger2/Fighter2

A level 4 character who killed a greatwyrm red dragon. I guess Tolkien was using the nat-20s instant kill houserule.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-02-14, 08:39 PM
A level 4 character who killed a greatwyrm red dragon. I guess Tolkien was using the nat-20s instant kill houserule.
Nah, he just did the last 11 points of damage to drop him from 1 to -10. On a nat 20, that part holds.

Prime32
2015-02-14, 08:53 PM
A level 4 character who killed a greatwyrm red dragon. I guess Tolkien was using the nat-20s instant kill houserule.A great wyrm red dragon who had no spellcasting ability and could be killed by a single arrow to the knee chest... is not a great wyrm red dragon.
Smaug wasn't even in the top tier of dragonkind in his own setting, and just because he's red doesn't mean you have to use that statblock to represent him.

sideswipe
2015-02-14, 09:35 PM
you would be looking at giving each person a class like fighter, rogue (scout for the rangery ones due to no magic) ranger to a couple of the mystic fighters. and maybe some better classes to teh better ones.

of course all are E6, E8 at a huge push.

Telonius
2015-02-14, 09:37 PM
A great wyrm red dragon who had no spellcasting ability and could be killed by a single arrow to the knee chest... is not a great wyrm red dragon.
Smaug wasn't even in the top tier of dragonkind in his own setting, and just because he's red doesn't mean you have to use that statblock to represent him.

Nah, I'd figure that was a Slaying Arrow, and Smaug just happened to roll a natural 1 on the save.

sideswipe
2015-02-14, 09:47 PM
Nah, I'd figure that was a Slaying Arrow, and Smaug just happened to roll a natural 1 on the save.

that actually makes a lot of sense. it would be hugely unlucky to be hit in the exact spot he is vulnerable.

Bronk
2015-02-14, 10:03 PM
that actually makes a lot of sense. it would be hugely unlucky to be hit in the exact spot he is vulnerable.

Truly, it would be a million to one chance. No more, no less!

endur
2015-02-14, 10:11 PM
Please may somebody help me by doing the stats for the dwarves, Azog, Bard, Bain, Master of Lake Town, Alfrid, Tauriel, Thranduil, Beorn, Goblin King, Bolg, Dain, Saruman, Radagast, Galadriel, Elrond and one of the three Trolls, Thrain and Thrór.

Also, some Silmarillion ones: Tom Bombadil, Balrog, Celeborn, Fangorn, Eomer, Eowyn, Theoden, King of the Dead, Faramir, Isildur, Elendil, Gil-Galad, Sauron (Second Age) and the Mouth of Sauron.

I need their class, level, strength, dexterity, intelligence, charisma and feats.

The various middle earth games have stats for the characters. It is not too hard to convert from one of the middle earth systems to D&D.

Invader
2015-02-14, 11:41 PM
Radagast would be a Shiradi/druid 5/beastmaster 4

Baroncognito
2015-02-15, 12:39 AM
Okay, this isn't too hard at all.

Bilbo Baggins: Half-Giant Barbarian 10/Fighter 3/Soul Knife 1

Thorin: Thri Kreen Sorceror 6

Gandalf the Grey: Human Pervirtuoso 17 His staff has a knob on the end and is a masterwork performance instrument

Billy Bob Thorton: Dwarven Slingblade 10

Darth Maul: Half-elf Factotum 13

Smaug: Warforged Bard 8

Invader
2015-02-15, 12:47 AM
Okay, this isn't too hard at all.

Bilbo Baggins: Half-Giant Barbarian 10/Fighter 3/Soul Knife 1

Thorin: Thri Kreen Sorceror 6

Gandalf the Grey: Human Pervirtuoso 17 His staff has a knob on the end and is a masterwork performance instrument

Billy Bob Thorton: Dwarven Slingblade 10

Darth Maul: Half-elf Factotum 13

Smaug: Warforged Bard 8
https://i0.wp.com/i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/Jenna_Willett/8329886_zps81djbup0.gif. :smalltongue:

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-15, 07:26 AM
A great wyrm red dragon who had no spellcasting ability and could be killed by a single arrow to the knee chest... is not a great wyrm red dragon.

Dragon #329 has the stats for the firedrake of Beowulf mythos. It would suit Smaug better, but still, my point was just the difference in level.

Sam K
2015-02-15, 08:03 AM

Ok, to be slightly more serious, a note on the elves:

It seems like in middle earth, experience is earned much slower than in most D&D settings. Characters like Aragorn, who have spent much of his (very long, due to his bloodline) life adventuring isn't in the epics, or even the double digits. Most people place him around lvl 6, which seems about right. Maybe 7 at the end of the series. The hobbits probably go from lvl 1 to maybe lvl 3 or 4 at the end of the books, and that's after completing the most epic questline in the history of the world.

What does this have to do with elves? Well, because they do not age (they're even longer lived than D&D elves), they have a LOT of time to build up levels. Your average elven warrior is probably lvl 4 or 5, compared to the lvl 2 or 3 human elite troops. As most orcs would be level 1, a unit of elves would be a terrifying thing; as long as you cannot bring action economy advantage against them (yay formations), they're very hard to challenge. As for the magic of the elven nobility, this could easily be represented by dips in sorcerer or cleric (or bard!). What they mostly use is some divinations, only the "wizards" (who are essentially outsiders with some spellcasting class) seem to use overt magic. In fact, the best build idea I've seen for Gandalf is outsider with bard levels: some fighting ability, great diplomancer, knows something about everything.

Bronk
2015-02-15, 12:28 PM
Ok, to be slightly more serious, a note on the elves:

It seems like in middle earth, experience is earned much slower than in most D&D settings. Characters like Aragorn, who have spent much of his (very long, due to his bloodline) life adventuring isn't in the epics, or even the double digits. Most people place him around lvl 6, which seems about right. Maybe 7 at the end of the series. The hobbits probably go from lvl 1 to maybe lvl 3 or 4 at the end of the books, and that's after completing the most epic questline in the history of the world.

What does this have to do with elves? Well, because they do not age (they're even longer lived than D&D elves), they have a LOT of time to build up levels. Your average elven warrior is probably lvl 4 or 5, compared to the lvl 2 or 3 human elite troops. As most orcs would be level 1, a unit of elves would be a terrifying thing; as long as you cannot bring action economy advantage against them (yay formations), they're very hard to challenge. As for the magic of the elven nobility, this could easily be represented by dips in sorcerer or cleric (or bard!). What they mostly use is some divinations, only the "wizards" (who are essentially outsiders with some spellcasting class) seem to use overt magic. In fact, the best build idea I've seen for Gandalf is outsider with bard levels: some fighting ability, great diplomancer, knows something about everything.

I don't know... these kinds of stories don't usually lend themselves well to levels, but if you had to use them, I'd say any character either starts out high, or gains like 5 or 10 levels at a time. Any given character in any given encounter is either dead in seconds, barely holding their own, or so ridiculously good that they're almost dance fighting.

Propagandalf
2015-02-15, 12:38 PM
Yes.
Yes, anybody can.
---

Awww, snap!:smallbiggrin:

Yep, that'd have to have been pretty exact, since million to one chances always work. Not hundred to one chances or one in a billion chances. Who's ever heard of a one in ten thousand chance succeeding?

I'm betting they adjusted the probability beforehand a bit. :smalltongue:

Tom Bombadil: use stats for the Lady of Pain.

Ha! :smallbiggrin:

Suteinu
2015-02-15, 02:46 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?239437-quot-What-s-a-burrahobbit-%28And-can-yer-cook-em%29-quot

Had a go at a similar en devour a few years ago, but focusing on the novel rather than the cinematic representation. Maybe it'll help.

On a personal note, I do, in fact, prefer the book, but I really enjoyed the movies, too. They're better on DVD or BlueRay, tough, since the huge actions don't blur on a huge screen that way, and one may skip the unnecessary parts. :smallwink: My wife asked if there were going to be any more after the third installment of The Hobbit, to which I replied that if Mr. Jackson showed-up at New Line (or anywhere else) with a copy of The Silmarillion, he'd find himself dangling in the breeze at Execution Dock. I'll do it myself, if I have to ...

JaminDM
2015-02-15, 04:35 PM

Have you read Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards!?

Gnome Alone
2015-02-15, 10:27 PM
Have you read Terry Pratchett's Guards! Guards!?

Or maybe that weird stick figure comic in the sidebar?

aspekt
2015-02-16, 03:27 AM
Okay, first any Wizard in Middle Earth is not human. They are creatures created at the beginning of time by Illuvatar the All Creator, who chose to take on physical form to aide creation, in particular the Eldar or Elves.

On that note both Sauron and the Balrog are the same types of creatures as the Wizards, just in different degrees. They chose to resist the Song of Creation and followed Melkor. This is why the fight between Gandalf and the Balrog of Moria was an even match.

Secondly, Tom Bombadil is a complete enigma, even to Tolkien. Bombadil exists as some supernal force of creation not answerable even to the Valar who were the highest order of created beings at the beginning of time.

Aside from these exceptions I think with some compromise all of the human, dwarven, hobbit, and elven characters in Middle Earth could be translated into TTRPG terms of some kind.

Sam K
2015-02-16, 04:21 AM
I don't know... these kinds of stories don't usually lend themselves well to levels, but if you had to use them, I'd say any character either starts out high, or gains like 5 or 10 levels at a time. Any given character in any given encounter is either dead in seconds, barely holding their own, or so ridiculously good that they're almost dance fighting.

All which is actually quite well represented within 6 or so levels.

The unnamed mooks are all lvl 1; goblins are probably pretty much like goblins in D&D, using mostly small, primitive weapons. Uruk-Hai are physically strong (say water orc stats) with real weapons and armor, and likely a level of fighter instead of warrior. Mordor orcs are probably a bit weaker, they have normal weapons but mostly light armor. None get max hp at first level.

A lvl 4-6 melee oriented character with good stats and masterwork equipment could easily "dance fight" with opponents like that. Goblins are fodder: with power attack and great cleve someone like Boromir or Aragorn could easily dispatch several every round, with no real risk of being seriously hit. Even level one hobbits with masterwork weapons can hold their own against one or two. Uruk-Hai become much more dangerous; with armor and average dex even competent melee fighters can't be confident in hitting regularly, and tactics that work against lesser foes (the above mentioned great cleave) is far less efficient. Uruk-Hai are also likely to use better tactics, like using bows against dangerous melee fighters. Boromir eventually goes down to multiple arrows (which makes sense for a lvl ~5 fighter) and Aragorn is hard pressed by the wolf riders.

Ofcourse, it's not ideal to stat out characters based on books or movies because the performance of most characters is based on what the plot requires. But really, middle earth is so low-powered that everything except maiar (wizards, Sauron, the balrog and maybe the treants) fit into E6.

Zubrowka74
2015-02-16, 12:39 PM
But really, middle earth is so low-powered that everything except maiar (wizards, Sauron, the balrog and maybe the treants) fit into E6.

This. Go back and read the article on how LotR can be modeled in a E6 premise.

On a side note, the movies are sometimes realistic, sometimes not so. At some point characters either don't get hit or go down in one or two shots. On the other hand is the aformentioned sequence where Boromir is slicing down orcs despite having a bad case of porcupine morphing. All and all, D&D is usually pretty bad at emulating reality.

I'd give everybody that's not central the elite array, the dwarves for example, and more or less one level of NPC classes, warriors in this example.

Sam K
2015-02-16, 02:24 PM
On the other hand is the aformentioned sequence where Boromir is slicing down orcs despite having a bad case of porcupine morphing. All and all, D&D is usually pretty bad at emulating reality.

On the other hand, that scene is actually a perfect example of D&D combat: 1 HP and feeling fine!