PDA

View Full Version : E6 Help Me Make A Robotic Arm

Gnome Alone
2015-02-14, 12:42 PM
Today I'm running a session of my E6 campaign. Three or four sessions ago the monk lost his arm, and finally (this was 3 years ago in real time) they are in an "ancient technology" type dungeon where I am going to sic some kind of spider/centaur construct on them, and I am going to have it using a robotic arm that I am hoping will be immediately seen as loot for the monk.

The robotic arm will be able to cycle through attachments, Mega Man/Inspector Gadget style. This is what I have as ideas for it so far:

Grappling hook
Wand of Web
Wand of some spell good for a monk
Kukri
Spell-storing Tiny darts as buffing syringes because I've always thought that is freaking hilarious

No points for guessing my question: What else should be on the robot arm?

Also, should anything, y'know, not be on there? I forgot to mention, he is 4th level. So are the other PCs: a sorcerer, rogue and druid, just in case that's relevant to anyone.

atemu1234
2015-02-14, 12:56 PM
The "good for monk" spell should be Greater Mighty Wallop.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-14, 01:23 PM
A monk's whole shtick is his spiritual enlightenment gives him power over his physical body. Why would a monk even want a robotic arm? You don't pick a monk for any mechanical advantage, why ruin his fluff? You're just making a character that doesn't make sense.

atemu1234
2015-02-14, 01:44 PM
A monk's whole shtick is his spiritual enlightenment gives him power over his physical body. Why would a monk even want a robotic arm? You don't pick a monk for any mechanical advantage, why ruin his fluff? You're just making a character that doesn't make sense.

I dislike your implication that classes have set fluff. While they can't fill just any niche, every class has the ability to occupy more than one.

Note that this is also why I dislike alignment restrictions on things, too.

Gnome Alone
2015-02-14, 01:49 PM

So you're thinking mayhap an electroemotional prosthesis; a magic Finn arm?

Kind of a lot of assumptions to unpack, but...
*I know the player. He'll jump at the chance to have a robot arm. His character is a gruff, gonzo middle-aged man with nothing left to lose who will seize any advantage whatsoever. I don't think his shtick has much to do with spiritual enlightenment.
*Monks aren't even that bad in E6
*I'm giving him the opportunity to fix something; he doesn't have to take it. I don't get how that's me ruining his character or how it doesn't make sense.

@ Atemu: Thanks, that sounds like a good one. It has the added plus of being something it would make sense for a spider/centaur guard robot to have in the first place.

Qc Storm
2015-02-14, 01:52 PM
A Go Go Gadget Arm of course. Monks could use the reach.

daremetoidareyo
2015-02-14, 02:08 PM
A magic powered blaster.

Like, there is a little compartment about the size of a fist. When a fist sized magic item is put in there, it is immediately destroyed. For every 1000gp worth of magic item put in there, the arm is capable of shooting 1d8+1 balls of radiant energy. The blasts do xd6 damage, where you the DM decide howmany d6 of ranged lazer attack you want a monk to have.

Actually, changing the effect of the blast depending on the dominant school of magic that crafted the magic item cannibalized would be a sweet bonus.
Evocation = burst radius, save for half,
conjuration = +1 number of blasts,
necromancy = 1d6 str damage, victim makes fort save for half,
transmutation = add wounding to the effect,
illusion = the source of the blast seems to come from different direction, will save to know truth,
abjuration = after each blast, PC has +1 deflection bonus to AC for 2 rounds,
enchantment = no damage, target is confused for 3 rounds. will save to negate
divination = +2 to hit

Blackhawk748
2015-02-14, 03:04 PM
Make it out of Adamantium. Then he can get his Edward Elric on, also it could give him the Ki Ball Feat, maybe one free use a day, afterwards he could use Stunning Fist attempts as normal.

Gnome Alone
2015-02-15, 01:54 AM
Thanks e'er'body. So I went with: Wand of Web, Eternal Wand of Greater Mighty Wallop, Spell-storing dart, kukri, grappling hook, and bag of holding. The player loved it. The look on his face as he realized that he could stick the robot appendage on his own arm stump was glorious. The bag of holding contained the loot for he other players.

He already had a monk's belt, so now his damage (for half the day, anyway) is 2d8+3. Pretty snazzy for 4th level. His Flurry of Blows both hit and he goes "...that's how much damage I do?" and I had to suppress a surge of panic as I wondered if I gave him unbalancing loot. Welp, I have a year to think about it, since one of the other players is going to New Zealand for that long.

...I know none of this is going to matter very much to anybody, but I just like it when threads tell you how games actually went post-GITP advice.