PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Weapons for A Nonviolent Dwarf?

Palanan
2015-02-14, 03:36 PM
I'm building a dwarven oracle who prefers the path of nonviolence whenever possible, although sometimes conflict can't be avoided.

His Strength and Dex are minimal, so I'm looking for a weapon which he could use for personal defense without much natural aptitude. All Pathfinder books are allowed, and I'm open to all manner of options.

Red Fel
2015-02-15, 01:59 PM
Take a one-level dip of a Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk) of the Lotus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-lotus). This means that, at first level, you can use Touch of Serenity (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/touch-of-serenity-combat) 1/day, +1 for every four additional non-Monk class levels. When conflict can't be avoided, Touch of Serenity can at least postpone or minimize it.

The Monk dip also means you have Improved Unarmed Strike and can deal non-lethal unarmed damage without penalty. So you can bring force to bear, without wielding a weapon, and without killing your opponent.

At that point, a weapon becomes mostly irrelevant, doesn't it?

Coidzor
2015-02-15, 02:55 PM
His Strength and Dex are minimal, so I'm looking for a weapon which he could use for personal defense without much natural aptitude.

In that case, your primary endeavour should be to avoid having to use a weapon since you'll be terrible at dealing damage or using combat maneuvers. I mean, you should still always carry a dagger or what have you for cutting your way out of monsters' stomaches if things get really gnarly, and it is still good to threaten the area around one's self to some extent, but you're not going to have any real value from Blade of Mercying it up or using a weapon that just does nonlethal damage straight up or tripping weapon or anything like that.

Suteinu
2015-02-15, 03:26 PM
Diplomacy.

grarrrg
2015-02-15, 03:48 PM
The Monk dip also means you have Improved Unarmed Strike and can deal non-lethal unarmed damage without penalty.

You have things backwards.
Unarmed Strikes are by default Nonlethal, and you must take a -4 To-Hit penalty to make them Lethal.
Improved Unarmed allows you to do Lethal damage without the attack penalty.
So, assuming you want Nonlethal anyway, all Monk does is boost you up to 1d6 damage.

Psyren
2015-02-15, 05:24 PM
You have things backwards.
Unarmed Strikes are by default Nonlethal, and you must take a -4 To-Hit penalty to make them Lethal.
Improved Unarmed allows you to do Lethal damage without the attack penalty.
So, assuming you want Nonlethal anyway, all Monk does is boost you up to 1d6 damage.

Without IUS though, all your unarmed strikes will provoke AoO. So generally it's not a good idea without the feat or dip.

Larkas
2015-02-15, 05:40 PM
Use a tankard.

If you don't want to slam people's heads with it, just fill it with your Decanter of Endless Ale and offer it to your enemies to see if you can get them drunk enough to forget you were even there.

Jormengand
2015-02-15, 05:42 PM
Merciful weapon enchantment on anything.

TheIronGolem
2015-02-15, 05:44 PM
If you can get your hands on a weapon with the Merciful enchantment, I'd call that better than dipping Monk or burning a feat slot on IUS.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-15, 06:44 PM
You can just use a shield, and learn to bash with it. Improved shield bash feat lets you keep shield AC while bashing with it.

You can even carry two shields, fight defensively, but when need arises bash the bejeebers out of an opponent.

Shield ward feat applies your shield bonus to touch AC, grapple etc.

You can also add shield spikes.

Ravens_cry
2015-02-15, 06:50 PM
You could carry the biggest stick you can carry and take Bludgeoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/bludgeoner-combat).

Palanan
2015-02-15, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by TheIronGolem
…I'd call that better than dipping Monk or burning a feat slot on IUS.

Originally Posted by Ravens_cry
You could carry the biggest stick you can carry and take Bludgeoner.

I've given some thought to Bludgeoner, but there's no room in the build, and he'd be unlikely to connect that often. Monk dips are likewise not feasible.

However, just now while making spicy catfish it occurred to me:

--does Pathfinder have rules for sneezing powder?

:smalltongue:

goto124
2015-02-15, 08:05 PM
I like some of the ideas here. Especially the beer and sneezing powder.

If only he(she?) were an elf or something, could've taken a Cha-based class. Or you can try anyway...

supervillan
2015-02-16, 03:54 AM
I've given some thought to Bludgeoner, but there's no room in the build, and he'd be unlikely to connect that often. Monk dips are likewise not feasible.

However, just now while making spicy catfish it occurred to me:

--does Pathfinder have rules for sneezing powder?

:smalltongue:

Sneezing Powder is an alchemical item and can be found in Ultimate Equipment I believe. As a non-violent character you will find other alchemical items also of interest, especially tanglefoot bags, ghast retch flasks, and itching powder.